Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, July 20, 2012

Japan threaten boycott of 2013 World Baseball Classic over revenue split

Well, so much for my theory that having two rounds in Japan might have been a sign that some sort of deal was made.

Gamingboy Posted: July 20, 2012 at 12:58 PM | 11 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: japan, wbc, world baseball classic

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Joe Kehoskie Posted: July 20, 2012 at 04:34 PM (#4188304)
This seems penny wise and pound foolish. The WBC has helped quite a few Japanese players cash in when they head to MLB. They'd be better off agitating for better rights and salaries within Japanese baseball.
   2. Justin T., Director of Somethin Posted: July 20, 2012 at 05:48 PM (#4188348)
I am not reading this article, but good. The WBC is dumb. #### it.
   3. Drew (Primakov, Gungho Iguanas) Posted: July 20, 2012 at 06:32 PM (#4188366)
That's funny, I thought the only reason to dislike the WBC was because of the conflict with MLB.
   4. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: July 21, 2012 at 12:24 PM (#4188675)
The WBC is awesome. I hope they work it out.
   5. Joe Kehoskie Posted: July 21, 2012 at 12:55 PM (#4188690)
The WBC is awesome.

Agreed. We're days away from the summer Olympics and I haven't seen a single person complaining that baseball isn't included. The WBC is orders of magnitude better than the best Olympic baseball competition ever was.
   6. The Yankee Clapper Posted: July 21, 2012 at 03:31 PM (#4188752)
Well, WHAT ARE THE MONEY ISSUES? I RTFA and it doesn't give any indication of what players receive or how revenues are allocated, either for the upcoming WBC or the previous ones. Maybe the Japanese have a point if there is heightened interest in the WBC there and they are producing more of the WBC revenue than originally anticipated.
   7. BourbonSamurai Is a Lazy Nogoodnik Posted: July 21, 2012 at 03:44 PM (#4188760)
I agree with number four
   8. Gamingboy Posted: July 21, 2012 at 06:57 PM (#4188858)
Apparently the Japanese federation and NPB still is expected to send a delegation. Meaning, yes, it's entirely possible (although unlikely- eventually one of these sides if going to give in) we could see a team made up of Japanese players who play in America mixed with guys from Japan's Indy leagues, semi-pro Industrial Leagues, and amateurs from the High Schools.
   9. CFiJ Posted: July 21, 2012 at 11:31 PM (#4188983)
This seems penny wise and pound foolish. The WBC has helped quite a few Japanese players cash in when they head to MLB. They'd be better off agitating for better rights and salaries within Japanese baseball.

That players cash in when they go to MLB does absolutely nothing for the vast majority of players who don't go. In essence, the player's association is agitating for better rights and salaries within Japanese baseball with this threatened boycott. It comes down to fighting the battles you have a chance of winning. The JPBPA can't strike for better salaries or rights. But they are on firmer ground for refusing to play in the WBC.
   10. Joe Kehoskie Posted: July 22, 2012 at 12:05 AM (#4188992)
The JPBPA can't strike for better salaries or rights.

Why can't they?
   11. CFiJ Posted: July 22, 2012 at 01:14 AM (#4189001)
The U.S. has a long history of pro-union sentiment, but when the MLB players struck, the public turned against them in a big way. Japan has no pro-union history, and strikes are hardly ever used to resolve labor issues. If the players took a hard-line and struck for better conditions, they'd lose virtually all public support, and they would still be unlikely to win.

When NPB tried to unilaterally contract one of the teams, and negotiations with the players broke down, the players struck...but only on the weekends. And the head of the JPBPA went on the news to apologize to fans. That's about as favorable conditions for players to strike as you're likely to see, but that's as far as it went.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
BDC
for his generous support.