Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Jayson Werth: 2011 ‘doesn’t define me as a baseball player’

As blue comic manager turned turncoat, Lee Elia Kazan, once noted…“You have no ####### idea how ####### fragile a ballplayer’s ####### self-worth is!”

Werth’s second season started today, when he arrived early at the Nationals’ spring training complex for informal workouts and batting practice with a handful of teammates. “I’m home now,” Werth said. He is intent on proving last season was a fluke, confident his legacy in Washington will be shaped more by what comes next than what happened in 2011.

“It doesn’t define me as an individual,” Werth said. “It doesn’t define me as a baseball player. It doesn’t define my career. It was one year and 600 at-bats. I’m over it and looking forward to this year. I worked hard all winter. I’m healthy.”

...“The bottom line was, my swing was never where it needed to be,” Werth said. “It started bad, and it didn’t get any better. You have those seasons. I’ve been playing baseball since I was 4 years old. I’ve had really good seasons, I’ve had really bad seasons, I’ve had average seasons. Last year was just a bad season. Whatever. I’m over it. I’m ready to play ball, play 162.

“I don’t think it’s a fair assessment to judge my career or my time in Washington on last year. We’ve got lots of time to make good. We’re going in the right direction.”

...“There was times where I was doing whatever the team needed,” Werth said. “It wasn’t necessarily the best thing for me, but it was probably the best thing for the club at the time. Whatever, I don’t really feel that had anything to do with the numbers. My swing started bad and stayed bad.”

Repoz Posted: February 18, 2012 at 05:30 PM | 9 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: fantasy baseball, nationals

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Dale Sams Posted: February 18, 2012 at 06:10 PM (#4064137)
Jayson Werth is one of those people that if he was never mentioned again, I'd completly forget he even existed.
   2. Walks Clog Up the Bases Posted: February 19, 2012 at 02:14 PM (#4064305)
Nationals fans can't relate for obvious financial reasons.
   3. Zach Posted: February 19, 2012 at 02:41 PM (#4064314)
Didn't he sign that massive contract like, last year?

It kind of makes you wonder -- suppose time travel existed, but was incredibly difficult and bandwith limited, so you could only send one Twitter message one year into the past. What would you say?
   4. The District Attorney Posted: February 19, 2012 at 02:45 PM (#4064315)
"Don't invent Twitter"
   5. bobm Posted: February 19, 2012 at 03:12 PM (#4064329)
[3] "$336 million Powerball jackpot on Saturday, Feb 11, 2012: winning numbers were 1, 10, 37, 52, 57, and the Powerball was 11"
   6. The Long Arm of Rudy Law Posted: February 19, 2012 at 03:30 PM (#4064334)
"The antidote is in Adam Dunn's head. The only way to access it is to bash Alex Rios into it."
   7. Swedish Chef Posted: February 19, 2012 at 03:33 PM (#4064337)
It kind of makes you wonder -- suppose time travel existed, but was incredibly difficult and bandwith limited, so you could only send one Twitter message one year into the past. What would you say?

Funny thing is that I received one of those last year. It said: "Hi! It's me/you from the future! I could make you wealthy, but then I wouldn't exist, so go ahead and have a lousy year. PS: Phhblt"
   8. A big pile of nonsense (gef the talking mongoose) Posted: February 19, 2012 at 05:16 PM (#4064385)
2011 'doesn't define me as a baseball player’

It sure does define Nationals higher-ups as frighteningly stupid, though.
   9. boteman digs the circuit clout Posted: February 19, 2012 at 05:50 PM (#4064399)
I’m over it and looking forward to this year. I worked hard all winter. I’m healthy.”

If I didn't know any better I'd say it sounds like he's in the best shape of his life.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
phredbird
for his generous support.