Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Jered Weaver would support a gay teammate and other musings from a Robert Fick-Dmitri Young vodcast

While Fickface remains a ########.

It’s admirable that Fick raised the topic, even if his opinion is just as repugnant:

“I can’t meet gays in… I don’t want a gay athlete, baseball player, in my clubhouse. It would be ... uncomfortable for me,” said Fick, who also dropped a crude anti-gay slur twice in the first 20 minutes of the show, later couching his statements with “I have some gay friends and it’s all good.”

The actual good news was, the Weavers didn’t agree.

“Just let ‘em be whatever they are. As long as they can hit or pitch, come on in,” Jeff Weaver said.

The best news was, Jered Weaver probably will be playing baseball for a long time, and would have some influence once an active major leaguer finally comes out. This is what he said:

“If you’re hitting .300 with 40 and 140, bring ‘em on, you know?”

“I think it would just be a shock at first, but it’s still your teammate in the long run.”

“They worked just as hard as us to get up to where we’re at.”

It’s not utopian, but at least it’s practical. Fick backed down a little, saying he probably would get used to having a gay teammate. He’s done playing, so we’ll never know. Young added a wince-inducing: “As long as he’s not trying to crack my back in the shower…” before following up with “To me, people are people so it doesn’t bother me.”

Repoz Posted: January 31, 2013 at 05:48 AM | 215 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: media

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 3 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3
   201. zenbitz Posted: February 01, 2013 at 04:06 PM (#4360304)

It's the condemnation of life style choices IN GENERAL* that is Snapper's crime, not his condemnation of sexual mores per se.

If we replace "Gay sex" or "Pre marital sex" with "riding motorcycles" or it doesn't get any better.

* with the assumption that said life style choices are not actually harming others.

"Judge not, lest ye be judged"... is that the correct quote?
   202. Jack Carter, calling Beleaguered Castle Posted: February 01, 2013 at 04:18 PM (#4360318)
Does Libertarian count as a religion?

Well, it certainly doesn't count as a philosophy.
   203. OCF Posted: February 01, 2013 at 04:31 PM (#4360331)
#181 on the previous page:

I would not have objection to being a teammate in any of these scenarios. If any caused me discomfort, it would be 4 and possibly 3, more than 5.

Of course, I suppose I could have subdivided case 5 according to which heterosexual behavior in 1-4 he most closely resembled; all are possible. I even wonder if case #1 (faithful to the one woman back home) might be thought of by his teammates as No Fun. (I have read Ball Four, of course.)
   204. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: February 01, 2013 at 04:37 PM (#4360337)
Christianity's history during WW II is problematic because the Vatican never saw fit to condemn Hitler.

They were just thinking ahead. If they'd distanced themselves from Nazism, it would've made it a lot harder for them to pick a former member of the Hitler Youth as Pope.
   205. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: February 01, 2013 at 06:44 PM (#4360425)
188-########. Hitler the man hated Christianity, because it came from the Jews. Hitler the politician, of course sang a different song for a while.

Hitler on Christianity and its Jewish roots:

My feelings as a Christian points me to my Lord and Savior as a fighter. It points me to the man who once in loneliness, surrounded by a few followers, recognized these Jews for what they were and summoned men to fight against them and who, God's truth! was greatest not as a sufferer but as a fighter.

In boundless love as a Christian and as a man I read through the passage which tells us how the Lord at last rose in His might and seized the scourge to drive out of the Temple the brood of vipers and adders. How terrific was his fight against the Jewish poison. Today, after two thousand years, with deepest emotion I recognize more profoundly than ever before the fact that it was for this that He had to shed his blood upon the Cross.

Again, what a sad little twerp you are

Yap yap yap. Keep flexing those e-muscles tough guy.
   206. Jack Carter, calling Beleaguered Castle Posted: February 01, 2013 at 08:23 PM (#4360465)
I accepted it after living the secular position and finding it wanting, studying the Catholic position, studying the teachings of the great theologians, and finding it the only coherent theory of sexuality.

That you came to this position AFTER applying critical thinking is jaw-droppingly awful. That your theory also depends on ruining sex for millions and damaging psyches around the world by telling people how terrible they are for enjoying it except within your very narrow schema makes it that much worse.

Sure sex is fun, but it causes as much misery as it does happiness.
You're doing it really, really wrong.

Think of all the ridiculous behavior people engage in to get sex.
Think of all the ridiculous behavior people engage in to get married, particularly when you try to make marriage the only source of sex, and to stay married. If you're making a utilitarian argument here, it's failing badly.

We need not be slaves to our animal instincts.
Just as we need not be slaves to exploitative hierarchies, destructive doctrine, and foolish sexual codes that lead to misery.

Also, thanks to snapper for expressing his views so well in this thread. I'm with you, my Catholic brother.

You should know that sounds pretty darned gay.

(Although in the abstract both the Catholic Church and Christianity are empty suits as far as I can tell, but then so are all other religions and churches--Muslim, Jewish, Buddhist, you name it--again, as far as I can tell.)
The difference is, at their best, Buddhists are thoroughly awesome, while even the best mainstream Christians will apologetically inform you that you're still going to hell if you don't believe as they do.

207. Jack Carter, calling Beleaguered Castle Posted: February 01, 2013 at 09:31 PM (#4360492)
Yap yap yap. Keep flexing those e-muscles tough guy.

The internet would be a much better place if it was known we could each get the true name and address of one poster per year.
   208. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: February 01, 2013 at 09:42 PM (#4360497)
Why? You want some of me? YOU WANT SOME OF ME?

(please don't want some of me)
   209. Jack Carter, calling Beleaguered Castle Posted: February 01, 2013 at 09:49 PM (#4360499)
?

Nah--actually, I was thinking of someone else. I don't have a problem with you. That I know of. Do I?
   210. Lassus Posted: February 01, 2013 at 10:18 PM (#4360513)
You totally missed your chance, YR.
Again, what a sad little twerp you are
I am not sad!
   211. Publius Publicola Posted: February 02, 2013 at 05:34 PM (#4360822)
Just as we need not be slaves to exploitative hierarchies, destructive doctrine, and foolish sexual codes that lead to misery.

Affirmative.

To snapper: There's an old Japanese saying- "The frog in the well does not know the sea.".
   212. flournoy Posted: February 02, 2013 at 07:39 PM (#4360856)
I don't think frogs do very well in saltwater, but I'm prepared to be wrong about that.
   213. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: February 02, 2013 at 07:48 PM (#4360860)
Osmosis is a harsh mistress.
   214. CrosbyBird Posted: February 02, 2013 at 08:03 PM (#4360867)
It's the condemnation of life style choices IN GENERAL* that is Snapper's crime, not his condemnation of sexual mores per se.

If I'm reading him correctly, snapper believes that people are harming themselves (and perhaps other members of society) through their actions, and that's why he's condemning that particular behavior. I don't think it's a very logically sound view without a host of unsupported assumptions, but that's a different sort of issue than "being a judgmental prick."

I strongly disagree with a lot of snapper's positions, but I don't dislike him; I think his heart is in the right place even if his head isn't.
   215. Publius Publicola Posted: February 03, 2013 at 09:33 AM (#4360988)
I don't think it's a very logically sound view without a host of unsupported assumptions,

So if he included a host of unsupported assumptions, then you would be with him?
Page 3 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Guts
for his generous support.