Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, May 12, 2017

Jim Callis mock projection 2017 MLB Draft | MLB.com

1. Twins: Brendan McKay, 1B/LHP, Louisville
Minnesota narrowed its field of contenders to the five players named above, plus Virginia first baseman Pavin Smith and Texas high school right-hander Shane Baz. Most clubs expect the Twins to take McKay, the best two-way prospect in more than four decades, rather than make Greene the first prep righty selected No. 1 overall. Whether they’ll take McKay as a first baseman or lefty starter, or even let him try to do both for a while, is unclear.

2. Reds: Hunter Greene, RHP, Notre Dame HS (Sherman Oaks, Calif.)
Cincinnati is looking at McKay, Greene and Wright, and likely would take them in that order.

Jim Furtado Posted: May 12, 2017 at 12:04 PM | 12 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: amateur draft

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. 2 dudes are better than STIGGLES; i'm both of em Posted: May 12, 2017 at 05:30 PM (#5454511)
if the first 7 picks play out like that, i'd take hasely, kendall or maybe burger.
   2. Bug Selig Posted: May 12, 2017 at 05:38 PM (#5454514)
I'm a Tiger fan now, but I had a Homer Hanky and a Kirby Puckett poster in another lifetime. If the Twins pass on a potential generational talent to take a 1B with middling power, I will be very sad. Not surprised, but sad.

It kinda feels like people are giving McKay some kind of bizarre cumulative credit for being a 1st-round pitcher and a 1st-round hitter. You don't get both guys.
   3. Walt Davis Posted: May 12, 2017 at 05:43 PM (#5454520)
Yeah, that last line of the Twins entry is a bit troubling. Also, has a 1B ever been selected first? (Not a future 1B, a 1B at time of drafting.)
   4. Boxkutter Posted: May 12, 2017 at 06:02 PM (#5454527)
The continuing struggles of recent high drafted pitchers who pitch in the low triples has be worried about Greene. Greene may be a better athlete than Kolek or Pint, but from what I have heard, their secondary stuff was more developed than his. And his isn't going to develop any more this Spring since he's stopped pitching.
   5. cardsfanboy Posted: May 12, 2017 at 06:07 PM (#5454530)
Also, has a 1B ever been selected first? (Not a future 1B, a 1B at time of drafting.)

Just looking at bb-ref and the positions they list for the players, I'm assuming that Harold Baines(1977) was drafted as a first baseman(never played a day in the minors or majors at that position though) Ron Blomberg(1967) is the other person listed as a first baseman who was drafted first overall.
   6. Covfefe Posted: May 12, 2017 at 06:12 PM (#5454531)
I believe Adrian Gonzalez was a 1st overall pick.
   7. cardsfanboy Posted: May 12, 2017 at 06:20 PM (#5454536)
I believe Adrian Gonzalez was a 1st overall pick.

Yes and I missed him, but he was drafted as a first baseman according to bb-ref, assuming that the positions they list is the positions they were drafted as.
   8. Rally Posted: May 12, 2017 at 07:52 PM (#5454564)
It's safe to say Gonzalez was drafted as a first baseman. He's a lefty thrower, so they weren't taking him as a catcher or infielder. He didn't play anywhere other than first base after he signed and went to rookie ball.

His only career OF appearances came in the majors, just as attempts to get his bat into the lineup, not because anyone thought he was an outfielder. One game with the Rangers because Teixiera was at first, and a few with Boston mostly so they could keep Ortiz in the lineup for interleague games.
   9. Bug Selig Posted: May 12, 2017 at 07:55 PM (#5454566)
Greene may be a better athlete than Kolek or Pint, but from what I have heard, their secondary stuff was more developed than his.
Tyler Kolek's secondary stuff is as refined as Donald Trump's hair. Greene is just better across the board than Kolek, but a Pint comparison is far more interesting. Personally, I like Greene's body and general athleticism better, but I can see where opinions might vary. I believe Greene also has a longer record of dominating against the best his age-group has to offer.

With these super-hard high school throwers, it is really hard to get much from scouting reports. I played against a first round draft pick named Reggie Harris in high school and summers. He had far better stuff than I did, obviously, but I was my school's and town's best so we faced each other a lot. The predraft scouting report that I saw on him (so probably BA, cuz what else was there in 1987?) said he threw upper-90's (true), needed to refine his control (truer) and had the makings of a major-league curveball. I can only surmise that "makings of a major league curveball" meant "fingers". In dozens of at-bats against him, he threw me one - and I desperately tried not to let him see my suppressed giggle because I had no interest in getting thrown at by Reggie Harris. Tyler Kolek really reminds me a lot of Reggie Harris.

OTOH, Chris Haney was also in our area and didn't even throw hard enough to be recruited by colleges that most people have heard of. He, of course, went on to have a real ML career, which Reggie didn't.
   10. 2 dudes are better than STIGGLES; i'm both of em Posted: May 12, 2017 at 08:03 PM (#5454571)
It kinda feels like people are giving McKay some kind of bizarre cumulative credit for being a 1st-round pitcher and a 1st-round hitter. You don't get both guys.
it worked for casey kelly.
   11. Walt Davis Posted: May 12, 2017 at 10:07 PM (#5454621)
Reggie Harris

121 innings in the majors but never really had much minors success. Lasted a long time -- last time in org ball was 2004, indy ball in 2006. Has the (I assume) rare feat of being selected in the rule 5 draft twice, 3 years apart (1989 and 1992).
   12. bfan Posted: May 14, 2017 at 08:55 AM (#5455046)
I think if you are Minnesota, you ought to try and take the upside/downside risk to get a super-star, instead of trying for a solid MLB safe pick. Why? Minnesota seems like a hard sell for a super-star via free-agency (as opposed to NYC; LA; and maybe south beach), so if you ever want to get a super-star, the draft is the only way to get there.

If you are a New York or Los Angeles team, you can play things safe; there are always ways to correct errors to get the top of the line players with enough money and appeal of your city.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Harveys Wallbangers
for his generous support.