Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, April 11, 2011

Joe Posnanski: The Poscast with Bill James

The Mad Butchers of Kingsbury Runs Created!

The Poscast with Bill James this week was done under less-than-ideal circumstances — in Augusta, with a less-than-stellar Internet connection — so I hope that the great stuff Bill is saying will make up for any sound quality gaps.

Two, I can tell you that it is my hope to have two regular co-hosts — regular the way Charo was a “regular” guest on The Love Boat. I’m hoping, for instance, that the next month will look like follows:

April 18: Special guest (and if I get who I’m trying to get, it will be INCREDIBLE*).
April 25: Poscast with Michael Schur.
May 2: Special guest (again, potentially incredible).
May 9: Poscast with Bill James

*At least for me.

I’m kind of hoping that each month will look something like that — incredible guest, Michael Schur, incredible guest, Bill James and so on.

This week’s Poscast I talk with Bill about college hoops, the meaning of bad starts, how well past performance predicts future and a bunch of other fun things. Bill also reiterates my own belief that we all think baseball is at its most perfect when you are 10 years old. Bill, as you might expect, puts it in better words.

Repoz Posted: April 11, 2011 at 08:55 PM | 110 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: history, media, sabermetrics

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2
   101. The Good Face Posted: April 12, 2011 at 09:21 PM (#3794850)
I don't do podcast, if you have something important/interesting to say, then make a transcript. Podcasts your going to be wasting 10 minutes getting the information that could have been presented in about a 2 minute read.

So much this. Nothing worse than seeing a link to some interesting topic and realizing it's a podcast. I'm a busy guy and I read extremely fast... I don't have time to listen to people yammer for 10 minutes.
   102. SoSH U at work Posted: April 12, 2011 at 09:35 PM (#3794863)
So much this. Nothing worse than seeing a link to some interesting topic and realizing it's a podcast. I'm a busy guy and I read extremely fast... I don't have time to listen to people yammer for 10 minutes.

Similar, but not as bad, is seeing a link to a story that might contain a nugget of information worth reading, but sure is hell isn't worth watching a video for.
   103. Baldrick Posted: April 12, 2011 at 09:51 PM (#3794877)
I'm still undecided about the Poscast. I love Joe but I'm not totally sold on his entry into the world of podcasting.

I like that it's just them chatting, not really an effort to communicate specific information or concepts - which podcasting is terribly designed for. That said, it's been less insightful than I'd really expect. And less funny. Not sure if it's just a matter of finding his feet or if Joe is simply a better communicator in writing. I'll certainly continue to listen, but I hope it gets a little more playful.

And the theme tune is like nails on a chalkboard.
   104. Dave Spiwak Posted: April 12, 2011 at 10:37 PM (#3794911)
I've never used a wooden bat. I wonder what it feels like when you make contact (particularly if it's less or more forgiving when you make crappy contact). I think it's because wooden bats break and that would be more expensive.

I bought my brother a wooden bat for Christmas (after we had both graduated HS), and it promptly broke with five minutes of our first trip to the batting cages. Those dimpled batting cage baseballs are especially lethal to a Louisville Slugger.
   105. Ray (RDP) Posted: April 12, 2011 at 11:06 PM (#3794929)
Anyone else listen to Adam Carrolla's podcast? I find it very entertaining.
   106. CrosbyBird Posted: April 13, 2011 at 02:40 AM (#3795332)
Similar, but not as bad, is seeing a link to a story that might contain a nugget of information worth reading, but sure is hell isn't worth watching a video for.

Definitely. I can usually read a story in about the same amount of time that it takes the video to load and buffer.

I think I'd be really into podcasts if I had a car commute where I couldn't read, but I'm generally not patient enough to get information that slowly.
   107. cardsfanboy Posted: April 13, 2011 at 03:51 AM (#3795356)
I used a wooden bat in little league, I had several aluminum bats at the time, but there is something "right" about the feel of a wood bat that I prefered it. I personally think it's much easier to direct the ball with a wood bat than an aluminum bat when dealing with the slow pitching of under 12 year olds(used Aluminum from 12 on, the better 'bounce' was worth the tradeoff of losing control of where the ball was going)

I've never broken a wood bat, but my brothers team borrowed my Ted Simmons bat and they broke it during their first practice, I still resent my brother a little bit for that, their team didn't know how to face the trademark to prevent a bat from breaking--that is what I tell myself, it was probably just bad luck.
   108. The Most Interesting Man In The World Posted: April 13, 2011 at 04:36 AM (#3795371)
Bullshoot. I was still 10 when the 1981 strike started. That wasn't at all what I'd call 'perfect baseball'.
   109. Dan Evensen Posted: April 13, 2011 at 11:06 PM (#3796206)
baseball is at its most perfect when you are 10 years old

I was 10 in 1994.

*smashes face into keyboard*
   110. Hang down your head, Tom Foley Posted: April 14, 2011 at 12:21 AM (#3796324)
Pos mentions in his new blog (about Manny and Lyndon Johnson) that the guest is Duane Kuiper.
Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Chicago Joe
for his generous support.