Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, October 23, 2009

Keith Law Chat: The David Wright/Jose Cruz Jr. trade that never happened

Are you the two biggest idiots ever?

Eddie (Milwaukee)

What was Steve Phillips thinking? Almost trading a 19 year old David Wright for Jose Cruz Jr.? Ridiculous.
Klaw
  (1:42 PM)

I’ve been asked about that trade rumor for three years but never answered while Ricciardi was still GM. The offer was made, though; I was there when the call came in. It was the first time I’d heard of Wright, since I wasn’t with Toronto in 2001 nor had I followed the draft when Wright was in it. JP’s reaction was, “I’m not trading a major league player for some guy in the Sally League.” And that was pretty much that. We had a chance to trade Cruz after that for Rafael Soriano, but JP refused to do it unless Seattle included Clint Nageotte, who, at the time, was a pretty hot prospect. It’s weird; I can’t remember some things that happened last week but I remember those conversations (over seven years ago now) like they just took place.

RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: October 23, 2009 at 02:14 PM | 144 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: blue jays, mets, rumors

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2
   101. Downtown Bookie Posted: October 24, 2009 at 01:26 AM (#3364320)
####, wtf am I doing in NYC?

Apparently, throwing rocks at intelligent women.

DB
   102. base ball chick Posted: October 24, 2009 at 01:33 AM (#3364322)
dock

well, i asked a couple years back when anyone would be Up There with all the ice and snow and yankees luvvvvvers when you could be here in the best place EVAH and got my head bit clean off. guess it is da Kultcher all youse guys got Up There - or something...

and, um, most females don't leave notes - we go all elijah dukes with the cell/facebook/myspace. grrrls is crazy sometimes.
   103. Mr. J. Penny Smoltzuzaka Posted: October 24, 2009 at 01:35 AM (#3364323)
Anyway, after you factor in the potential for obsessive behavior, there's a lot of reasons why some guys would turn down sex.

While single (and not that it was often), I would avoid brief sexual encounters with girls who came on to me just for the fear that there was some chance they might turn out to be some pyscho obsessive fatal attraction types. Even while pretty inebriated I would hold the line - granted they were all nowhere near supermodel level of attractiveness which made it easier. I'd rather hit on chicks and have them put up a token fight against my charm. If it it didn't work out - que sera, sera.

Off topic: I'm so glad that this Phillips thread has actually turned to sex and not about the intricacies of taking a dump.
   104. AJMcCringleberry Posted: October 24, 2009 at 01:44 AM (#3364325)
For those that love Zooey Deschanel go see 500 Days of Summer. That's when I fell in love.

Go see it if you hate Zooey Deschanel, it's a great movie.
   105. Jeff K. Posted: October 24, 2009 at 03:00 AM (#3364338)
As I once recounted in verse, Halle Berry is a lot more trouble than she's worth.

Dude, I did *not* remember Gagne asking if he could perform your verse to his school. DCW is right, man, you should have requested...nay, demanded video. Good God almighty.

texas is filled with beautiful smart women of all colors/races.

Preach, sister!
   106. Jeff K. Posted: October 24, 2009 at 03:02 AM (#3364340)
Elf did it for me. That voice, singing one of my favorite songs ever, in the shower? I got a little Santa's workshop.
   107. Freeballin' (Tales of Met Power) Posted: October 24, 2009 at 03:34 AM (#3364351)
Megan Fox has thumb toes.
   108. billyshears Posted: October 24, 2009 at 05:07 AM (#3364365)
Clearly I haven't mindfucked this enough, but when single, as a general rule, I would hook-up with women I found attractive, and not hook-up with women I found unattractive. Of course, as Steve Phillips is evidence, there's no accounting for taste.
   109. Freeballin' (Tales of Met Power) Posted: October 24, 2009 at 07:26 AM (#3364398)
Fat chicks are like scooters, billy -- fun to ride until your friends see you on it.
   110. Benji Posted: October 24, 2009 at 09:47 AM (#3364415)
I would like to bring up my dream girl actress. Estella Warren. I sat through this freakin idiotic movie, "Her Special Thing" or somesuch just to look at her. I even muted it, and put up with the imbecile Victoria Jackson because of her.
   111. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: October 24, 2009 at 04:29 PM (#3364525)
I don't know why you were surprised by that. Even for the biggest horndog out there, you can only spend so much time a day #######. For the rest of the time, and if you want to actually have a relationship, you've got to be able to talk about something, and it's hard to have anything approaching a decent conversation with an idiot.
Especially as a BTFer, where you're tempted to actually say out loud, "Are you the biggest idiot ever?" (Hint: it's a trap.)
   112. Freeballin' (Tales of Met Power) Posted: October 24, 2009 at 05:16 PM (#3364541)
Are you the biggest horndog out there ever?
   113. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: October 24, 2009 at 05:18 PM (#3364543)
[but then again, there is something about a LOT of women where they seem to only want men that some other woman already got. my husband couldn't hardly get a date until him and me hooked up and then suddenly there's b*tch*z wantin to find out what i found/i]

That's a part of the universal human condition. Something's only worth having if someone else wants it.
   114. RJ in TO Posted: October 24, 2009 at 05:22 PM (#3364546)
Like a close tag for italics?
   115. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: October 24, 2009 at 06:03 PM (#3364559)
Exactly!
   116. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: October 24, 2009 at 06:14 PM (#3364566)
And upon further review, I'm still a "no" on Fox. Whenever I see a picture of her, she looks fake and plastic and awful, like a mannequin that came to life. It's why putting her in Jennifer's Body was such a great piece of casting, playing off that artificial, inhuman element.
   117. McCoy Posted: October 24, 2009 at 06:20 PM (#3364575)
Fox is hot but she is definitely a Hollywood creation. Plus I hate tattoos on women. Well, I'd probably hate them on guys too but since I'm not attracted to guys I don't really care. I'm sure Fox has a lot of natural beauty but every time you see her you can tell there has been a lot of work done to make her look the way she looks.

For me at least, youth can look hot but youth is rarely sexy. It takes an older more mature woman to pull of sexy and seductive. At least in terms of the media.
   118. base ball chick Posted: October 24, 2009 at 06:22 PM (#3364577)
ok there boys

i showed the pic of phillips with his arm around hundley to a bunch of males i know and said - whaddya think of this female?

every single one of em said - damm that man got an ugly daughter. her daddy the only man gonna love THAT (cleaning it up a little)

then i told them that he is NOT her father. then i asked them if they would agree to receive a upton from her. except for my uncle who flat out said no, they said - am i ever gonna hafta see her again cuz that b***h crazy. so some of them said if it is in a club where i can't get nothing else and won't never see her again and i was drunk enuf, maybe.

i asked them why they thought the female was crazy and they ALL said that you find a woman who is ugly to start with and won't do not ONE thing with hair or makeup or clothes to look better (and is not a lesbian), that female is psycho (which is absolutely no question about it true when it comes to sistas) and the trouble with psychos is that they psycho and you do NOT need that kind of trouble. fat is ok, ugly is ok, psycho is not ok

i then told them that the man met the female at work and they had a consensual sexual relationship. got asked if this female had serious $$$$$$$ or was the bosses daughter. a couple said he is one of those guys gotta eff every single female employee, keep them in their place, they know guys like that.

my uncle, who is a lot oldern the others, said that the man must be very unhappy and that the female must have somehow said or done something to make him feel better about himself. which i think is spot on.

and every last one of em also said to never have a 1 nighter with anyone you work with cuz that is nothing but trouble.

and now, it is time to get prepared for my Real Man(Tm) fixin bbq = BEEF
yew hear that chris dial and the rest of all yall loco nawth carlinians cain't tell the diffrence between bacon and bbq!!!!!!!!!!
   119. RJ in TO Posted: October 24, 2009 at 06:28 PM (#3364580)
i showed the pic of phillips with his arm around hundley to a bunch of males i know and said - whaddya think of this female?

every single one of em said - damm that man got an ugly daughter. her daddy the only man gonna love THAT (cleaning it up a little)

While it's kind of mean, this made me laugh and laugh and laugh.
   120. Young Blasarius yonder Posted: October 24, 2009 at 06:55 PM (#3364592)
and now, it is time to get prepared for my Real Man(Tm) fixin bbq = BEEF

I'm considering a drive to Texas in December...where do you recommend I go for good BBQ (besides your backyard)...I did a drive in August through the South and hit up Corky's in Memphis and Lexington BBQ in NC...both top-notch...New York BBQ is alright, I suppose, but really effin' pricey...
   121. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: October 24, 2009 at 07:12 PM (#3364605)
I'm sure Fox has a lot of natural beauty but every time you see her you can tell there has been a lot of work done to make her look the way she looks.

And that's what kills it for me. Big fat duck lips and big fake bolted-on tits and a fake smile full of big white veneers are about as un-sexy as it gets. It moves the whole package right down into the uncanny valley.
   122. CrosbyBird Posted: October 24, 2009 at 07:28 PM (#3364617)
Big fat duck lips and big fake bolted-on tits and a fake smile full of big white veneers are about as un-sexy as it gets. It moves the whole package right down into the uncanny valley.

I get you, but have you seen any pictures of Megan Fox where she's not trying to imitate Angelina Jolie? When she's not doing that ridiculous thing with her lips, for example.

They're hard to find, but I think she can be remarkably attractive in the right conditions.
   123. Dr. I likes his panda steak medium rare Posted: October 24, 2009 at 07:32 PM (#3364620)
and the trouble with psychos is that they psycho

Brilliant.

I'm considering a drive to Texas in December...where do you recommend I go for good BBQ (besides your backyard)

Where in Texas are you going to be? I am sure a number of us Texans/former Texans (I am in the former group) could make suggestions. It depends on where you are going. Two famous towns in central Texas (where I have the most familiarity) known for great BBQ are Lockhart and Llano. Of course, they aren't that close together. There are also many other great places.

The Texas Monthly list is a good place to start your research. Their rankings are not the be all and end all, and their reviews are a little weird (they trash Coopers??? and have always overrated Louie Mueller's in my opinion), but it is a useful list of names if nothing else.

Edit: Damn, I could kill for some decent ribs right now. If for no other reason, this is why teleportation technology is needed.
   124. Freeballin' (Tales of Met Power) Posted: October 24, 2009 at 07:46 PM (#3364626)
She looks better in some of these:

http://www.news.lalate.com/pictures/brookehundley2.html

http://www.news.lalate.com/pictures/brookehundley10.html

http://www.news.lalate.com/pictures/brookehundley12.html

http://www.news.lalate.com/pictures/brookehundley14.html

Not great, mind you, but you could forgive a guy for boning her a couple of times.

my uncle, who is a lot oldern the others, said that the man must be very unhappy and that the female must have somehow said or done something to make him feel better about himself. which i think is spot on.

This.
   125. base ball chick Posted: October 24, 2009 at 07:58 PM (#3364629)
120 - Yby

texas is HUGE

beaumont to elpaso is around 850 miles and brownsville to amarillo is around 800 miles

so where are u going because there are a whole lot of places in tejas i have not been to
   126. Spahn Insane Posted: October 24, 2009 at 08:36 PM (#3364647)
The pics linked in 124 are admittedly much more flattering than the other photos of Hundley I'd seen.

Am I the only one creeped by the photo with Gammons? It immediately brought to mind that great ESPN promo from the mid-90s with the Gammons-stalker woman in it, who was talking to the camera while a Gammons screensaver floated across her computer screen in the background; she was saying stuff like "You know who I *don't* like--his WIFE. She's not very friendly."
   127. Rafael Bellylard: Built like a Panda. Posted: October 24, 2009 at 08:38 PM (#3364650)
As far as the guys on here that say they'd turn down this or that due to looks, I'm just reminded of something my older brother said to me when he was about 30 and I was 16. I'll clean it up a bit by using lisa's paraphrase:

"The worst Upton I ever got was wonderful".
   128. Forsch 10 From Navarone (Dayn) Posted: October 24, 2009 at 09:12 PM (#3364672)
For me at least, youth can look hot but youth is rarely sexy. It takes an older more mature woman to pull of sexy and seductive. At least in terms of the media.

QFT
   129. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: October 24, 2009 at 09:28 PM (#3364682)
The pics linked in 124 are admittedly much more flattering than the other photos of Hundley I'd seen.

Agreed.
   130. Lassus Posted: October 24, 2009 at 10:56 PM (#3364725)
"The worst Upton I ever got was wonderful".

Low standards.
   131. Eraser-X is emphatically dominating teh site!!! Posted: October 25, 2009 at 01:16 AM (#3364792)
There's a line where consensual sexual relations are better than watching TV, but worse than solitaire. If you factor in all the #### that can go wrong with another person you don't know very well, that moves the line a bit.

That's why I'd much rather stick with the monogamy thing. You get all the sex you could ever want, and it's with someone who knows how it works. If you are living your life right, it's someone you think is awesome too.
   132. Jeff K. Posted: October 25, 2009 at 01:33 AM (#3364811)
I'm considering a drive to Texas in December...where do you recommend I go for good BBQ (besides your backyard)...

Don't stop in Dallas, there's nothing special there. I'll let bbchick handle Houston area, Dr. I already mentioned Lockhart where Kreuz is. Driftwood, just outside Austin, has the best BBQ in Texas at the Salt Lick. If you're in my city proper, County Line is great, Rudy's has great sauce and good meat, Ruby's has great meat and good sauce, and Artz Rib House has the best ####### ribs you have ever eaten, sauce or not.
   133. base ball chick Posted: October 25, 2009 at 02:34 PM (#3365064)
houston bbq

best is burns bbq (FABULOUS brisket)
need to check out goodes too (you might could thank your lucky stars you're in texas) - brisket is awesome, ribs not so much
best sauce EVAH - and you just HAVE to get the bbq duck. luscious fatty muy delicioso expensivo treat

there is also a good place in madisonville (halfway between houston and dallas) and there is a shack on the side of the road next to a gas station going to victoria on 59 south but i disremember the name. GREAT brisket and sausage

but i disagree with jeff about county line - ate there twice - brisket was dry and the sauce was WAAAAYYYY too sweet
   134. The District Attorney Posted: October 25, 2009 at 02:44 PM (#3365070)
That's why I'd much rather stick with the monogamy thing. You get all the sex you could ever want
Also, a unicorn.
   135. base ball chick Posted: October 25, 2009 at 06:18 PM (#3365201)
getting all the sex you ever want from monagamy - well there boy, ida know bout that. it is one of the 2 reasons that people cheat

monogamy and monogamous sex only works if both partners make a serious effort to treat each other with decency and respect
   136. Lassus Posted: October 25, 2009 at 06:25 PM (#3365207)
Also, a unicorn.

People on the internet are so bleak.

There actually ARE couples who are sexually compatible, you realize?
   137. base ball chick Posted: October 25, 2009 at 06:36 PM (#3365210)
lassus

and some of those couples are married and have kids and are STILL happy with just each other!!!!!!

i feel sorry for poor DA, i really do
   138. Young Blasarius yonder Posted: October 25, 2009 at 06:41 PM (#3365213)
RE: Texas BBQ

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I actually don't have any destination in particular in mind. I have a bunch of vacation days to burn and I'm of the mind just to hit the road and see where it takes me. That's what I did over the summer. Just rented a car, had in mind trying different BBQ, had an iPhone to look up places once on the road and a GPS (yeah I know) to guide me there. I think I put 2800 miles on the rental car there, so distance isn't really a concern. I know I really want good beef brisket (have yet to find any good brisket in New York) and I know some people from Austin who say the BBQ around there is pretty good.
   139. base ball chick Posted: October 25, 2009 at 07:10 PM (#3365231)
yby

agree with jeff about kreuz and artz rib house

good luck finding decent brisket outside of tejas (unless it is a texan who is stuck living somewheres else, poor boy)

oh yeah - one other thing
best time to get brisket is RIGHT when the place opens when they have JUST taken the beef out of the smoker. tell them to slice it thick. and also do NOT let anyone pour sauce over the meat. always get the sauce on the side. guys who bbq fabulous brisket don't always have good sauce.

bbq done right is when the meat is not baked/cooked after being painted with sauce
   140. villageidiom Posted: October 25, 2009 at 07:20 PM (#3365238)
and some of those couples are married and have kids and are STILL happy with just each other!!!!!!
...you rang?

How quickly this thread went from sex to good BBQ surprised me. Maybe I just haven't ever had good BBQ.
   141. base ball chick Posted: October 25, 2009 at 07:56 PM (#3365262)
vi

grinning

you lucky that it is MRS vi never had good bbq....
   142. Der Komminsk-sar Posted: October 25, 2009 at 08:11 PM (#3365273)
I prefer Texas-style beef BBQ over most other options, but don't short change the pig... there's loads of ways to eat God's creatures, many delicious.

Oh, and Fox isn't particularly attractive to me either - I like the Uncanny Valley reference above...
   143. base ball chick Posted: October 25, 2009 at 08:33 PM (#3365297)
der

trust me, we have some serious respect for the hawg round here.

interesting which actresses/models/singers/athletes all yall males think are attractive. and who you do NOT think are attractive
   144. Jeff K. Posted: October 25, 2009 at 08:54 PM (#3365317)
I lived a quarter mile (at most) up Lamar from Artz Rib House for over a year and never went there. Then one day I decided to stop in and grab something during the NCAA tourney. Got home, bit into the first pork rib, and the entire slab of meat literally slipped off the bone with less resistance than a dress off a drunk Elizabeth Berkley. It's one of the few times in my life I have actually said "Oh my God" at the first bite of a dish.

I forgot to mention Green Mesquite, which is also excellent. And if we're mentioning shack-type places, there's one on 12th, just east of Lamar, right by the Tavern (You're never too far from 12th and Lamar.) I'm not remotely sure what the name is, but you'll see the sign out front that says "Need no teef to eat my beef."
   145. base ball chick Posted: October 25, 2009 at 09:08 PM (#3365326)
jeff

only in texas

you remember the name of that place u tell me - i'll check it out next time i'm in austin
Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
tshipman
for his generous support.