Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, November 19, 2012

@LadyBatting: Why I Hate Sabermetrics

Sometimes I think this is the real reason why Murray Chass, et. al., dislike analytical approaches to the game:

Shortly after that the Sabermetrics movement began to sprout up around me, but I ignored it. Why? Because it took me back to high school. I could still hear, and can still hear to this day, the words from my geeky classmate: “How could you fail it…?” I still remembered my teacher telling me I wasn’t trying. I still remembered all the academic mysteries I encountered each school term and how I was rarely able to solve them. Hovering my mouse over SLG on Baseball Reference.com and seeing the formula that popped up gave me the same anxiety I felt almost every day in high school.

So I didn’t go back to high school.

Mike Emeigh Posted: November 19, 2012 at 08:23 PM | 108 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: sabermetrics

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2
   101. GGC don't think it can get longer than a novella Posted: November 23, 2012 at 01:49 PM (#4308358)
anyboy knows real stones fans only ever listen to 'can't you hear me knockin' and 'torn and frayed'.

Why does Exiles on Main Street seem to get more love than Let it Bleed, Beggar's Banquet or Sticky Fingers?
   102. Swedish Chef Posted: November 23, 2012 at 01:57 PM (#4308366)
I'm perfectly willing, as I've demonstrated many times, to go to great lengths to discuss most any matter--unlike many here.

Which may be a sign of stamina, but has little enough to do with anything else.

And you don't know what ad hominem means. That isn't ad hominem.

I know what ad hominem is perfectly well. It's arguing against the opponent rather than the point. Dismissing them by calling them "stupid" is highly judgmental and is supposed to strengthen your argument, so I'd say it's proper ad hominem. It's devoid of any reasoning whatsoever, of course, so it may not even reach the level of fallacious argument and is just invective.
   103. phredbird Posted: November 23, 2012 at 02:18 PM (#4308383)
anyboy knows real stones fans only ever listen to 'can't you hear me knockin' and 'torn and frayed'.

Why does Exiles on Main Street seem to get more love than Let it Bleed, Beggar's Banquet or Sticky Fingers?

'can't you hear me knockin' is on sticky fingers, so it gets equal play for me. exile is just so good from end to end its hard not to like it more than any other stones album, but this is subjective. exile encapsulates a part of my youth that i like to be nostalgic for at times. meanwhile, i've come to appreciate let it bleed quite a bit.
   104. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: November 23, 2012 at 02:38 PM (#4308395)
I don't have any nostalgia for it at all, and Torn and Frayed is still an absurdly good song.
   105. Bitter Mouse Posted: November 23, 2012 at 03:03 PM (#4308407)
The Stones are that rare group, clearly inner circle hall of fame and still overrated. They are the Derek Jeter of rock music.
   106. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: November 23, 2012 at 03:09 PM (#4308409)
As their peaks fade further into history, the Stones' superiority to their peers (including the Beatles) becomes more and more clear.(*) That won't happen with Jeter.

(*) Not only are the Stones the best rock band ever; they're one of the best country bands ever, and one of the best blues bands ever. They aren't one of the best soul bands ever, though they're a pretty good one. No one touches them in melding rock and roll's antecedent sounds into a single package.
   107. Repoz Posted: November 23, 2012 at 03:24 PM (#4308417)
As their peaks fade further into history, the Stones' superiority to their peers (including the Beatles) becomes more and more clear. That won't happen with Jeter.

(pumps fist/fist pump)

Hell...even Lester Bangs is starting to come around on Exile on Main Street.
   108. phredbird Posted: November 23, 2012 at 03:29 PM (#4308421)
As their peaks fade further into history, the Stones' superiority to their peers (including the Beatles) becomes more and more clear.(*) That won't happen with Jeter.

it is easy to dismiss their lack of productive music making since the early 80s or wherever the cognoscenti want to date it, but the stones themselves act as if they don't care about that, just being working musicians. just so happens they are working musicians whose gigs are stadiums and such instead of night clubs.

the shows themselves are still pretty good aren't they? i've only seen one of those HBO documentaries and they looked like they could still play pretty darn good.

nobody seems bothered that buddy guy and the like just went on playing the same thing into their 80s. was it more 'authentic' or something because he got paid squat and went to smaller venues? is it a different set of expectations?
Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Adam M
for his generous support.