Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Latest bigotry reminds us that baseball is a white man’s game.

When Baltimore Orioles outfielder Adam Jones famously said two years ago that “baseball is a white man’s sport,” he was castigated in some corners, lauded in others, the bifurcated reaction a pretty reasonable foretelling of America today. Jones was right, of course. Major League Baseball is a white man’s sport. Its teams are owned, disproportionately, by white men. They are run, disproportionately, by white men. The league’s top executives are, disproportionately, white men. The power structure neither represents the labor pool nor the fan base – the latter of which is, in most places, overwhelmingly white, if not entirely male.

This article seems to be a bit overwrought in my opinion but I guess I am not “woke”.

spanx for the memories Posted: August 14, 2018 at 10:48 AM | 319 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: atlanta braves, washington nationals

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 4 of 4 pages ‹ First  < 2 3 4
   301. perros Posted: August 18, 2018 at 01:23 AM (#5729153)
Psychology Today’s article is a mess

Thomas Plante served as vice-chair of the National Review Board for the Protection of Children and Youth for the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, a fact not revealed by PT.
Both of the articles snapper cites were obviously part of the Bishops' pr offensive to distract from their culpability.
   302. Blastin Posted: August 18, 2018 at 06:19 AM (#5729164)
I was secretly hoping bbc would show up to support. What timing!

And yes, if we weren't jailed for nonsense, we might be home more often.

As for how I know that black people know what is said: because it's all my family talks about. Anecdata, sure. But unlike white folks, our lives depend on knowing how to act in public, so we talk about it all the time.
   303. . . . . . . Posted: August 18, 2018 at 08:37 AM (#5729177)
As folks who know me from other threads will attest, I am pretty deeply conservative and about as ‘woke’ as a lemur.

But over the past few years, I’ve basically come around to the view that black people are basically totally ####### right about he whole thing, and white peoples are basically totally ####### wrong.

Criminal justice? Unconscionable. Education? Horrifying. Privilege more generally? Real and soul crushing. Racism? Ubiquitous. Every time I hear a black leader speak, or a black thinker write, I find myself nodding like when I used to read BaseballProspectus back in 2002. Like, isn’t it OBVIOUS that the treatment of black people in this country is a humiliating stain on all of us?

Which is not to say that there aren’t fewer high-performing blacks to funnel into the meritocracy (there are) or that blacks don’t engage in antisocial behavior (they do), or that black leaders aren’t often corrupt (they are). But that’s on us. Those are ubiquitous features of every underclass, everywhere, throughout history. We created an underclass and then act surprised when they act accordingly. It is nothing fundamental. It is no different than how the Italians saw (and see) the Sicilians. Get them out of the class structure and have them move to the US and mirabile dictu everything changes. Funny how that works.

One more point. Pretty much everyone in this country, if they succeed, can pass as upper class. No matter how humble your beginnings. Might take some work to lose an accent or move to a new part of town, but it’s POSSIBLE. Unless you’re black, in which case you were born black, will die black, and no matter what you do, the adjective “black” will be used to describe you forever. Black surgeon, black CEO, black president. I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy. Being black is different and unique and, in this country, horrible. And it is totally ####### unfair.
   304. there isn't anything to do in buffalo but 57i66135 Posted: August 18, 2018 at 10:58 AM (#5729201)
on a related note:
@shaunking
Watch this and wait for the punchline. He said, in shock and desperation “You’re treating me like a ####### Black person.”

Think on that for a moment. With all of this going on, that’s what came to his mind. Police brutality, to him, is something reserved for Black folk.
https://twitter.com/shaunking/status/1030485470122270720
   305. Blastin Posted: August 18, 2018 at 11:44 AM (#5729211)
As folks who know me from other threads will attest, I am pretty deeply conservative and about as ‘woke’ as a lemur.

But over the past few years, I’ve basically come around to the view that black people are basically totally ####### right about he whole thing, and white peoples are basically totally ####### wrong.

We changed one mind! Yay!

Only a few hundred million to go...

(But seriously, it's appreciated.)
   306. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: August 18, 2018 at 12:56 PM (#5729222)
#304 - interestingly, that guy claims he intentionally created a disturbance and got himself arrested to prove a point about police brutality.

https://nypost.com/2018/08/17/unruly-airline-passenger-screams-cops-treating-me-like-a-black-person-during-arrest/
   307. NJ in NY (Now with Baby!) Posted: August 18, 2018 at 01:17 PM (#5729239)

Criminal justice? Unconscionable. Education? Horrifying. Privilege more generally? Real and soul crushing. Racism? Ubiquitous. Every time I hear a black leader speak, or a black thinker write, I find myself nodding like when I used to read BaseballProspectus back in 2002. Like, isn’t it OBVIOUS that the treatment of black people in this country is a humiliating stain on all of us?

Which is not to say that there aren’t fewer high-performing blacks to funnel into the meritocracy (there are) or that blacks don’t engage in antisocial behavior (they do), or that black leaders aren’t often corrupt (they are). But that’s on us. Those are ubiquitous features of every underclass, everywhere, throughout history. We created an underclass and then act surprised when they act accordingly. It is nothing fundamental. It is no different than how the Italians saw (and see) the Sicilians. Get them out of the class structure and have them move to the US and mirabile dictu everything changes. Funny how that works.

One more point. Pretty much everyone in this country, if they succeed, can pass as upper class. No matter how humble your beginnings. Might take some work to lose an accent or move to a new part of town, but it’s POSSIBLE. Unless you’re black, in which case you were born black, will die black, and no matter what you do, the adjective “black” will be used to describe you forever. Black surgeon, black CEO, black president. I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy. Being black is different and unique and, in this country, horrible. And it is totally ####### unfair.

Popping back in to say this post hit me hard in the feels. Thank you.
   308. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: August 18, 2018 at 01:29 PM (#5729248)
303- I applaud your willingness to evolve in your thinking, provided you also now vote accordingly.
   309. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: August 18, 2018 at 01:58 PM (#5729255)
One more point. Pretty much everyone in this country, if they succeed, can pass as upper class. No matter how humble your beginnings. Might take some work to lose an accent or move to a new part of town, but it’s POSSIBLE. Unless you’re black, in which case you were born black, will die black, and no matter what you do, the adjective “black” will be used to describe you forever. Black surgeon, black CEO, black president

Doesn’t this hold true for women?
   310. base ball chick Posted: August 18, 2018 at 02:26 PM (#5729269)
303 - is that you, Zop?

mah goodness. thank you for your testimony. I can only hope it affects your life in the way you treat us

309 - you betcher ass
   311. . . . . . . Posted: August 18, 2018 at 02:29 PM (#5729272)
It is zop, bbc
   312. bunyon Posted: August 18, 2018 at 02:30 PM (#5729273)
I’m not that conservative but co-sign 303.

And HI, BBC!
   313. perros Posted: August 18, 2018 at 05:17 PM (#5729384)
I can only hope it affects your life in the way you treat us

It's important for people of goodwill to reflect upon how they reinforce white supremacy. Like before, I've found one-on-one interactions pretty uncomplicated, and I feel free to act independently according to my beliefs and values. Mixed race occassions are highly charged because you can feel the social expectation to reinforce the status quo of racial hierarchy, to go with the flow.

It's a real challenge to step forward when your own social status comes into play.

Always happy to hear from you, Lisa.
   314. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: August 19, 2018 at 08:23 AM (#5729579)
Do Jews go to heaven?

Yes, but there's revenue sharing in heaven. Terrible irony

Straight to a “Jews are cheap” joke eh? Shameful bigotry.
   315. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: August 19, 2018 at 11:29 AM (#5729631)
Do Jews go to heaven?
Yes, but there's revenue sharing in heaven. Terrible irony

Straight to a “Jews are cheap” joke eh? Shameful bigotry.

Wait, George Steinbrenner was Jewish?
   316. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: August 19, 2018 at 12:36 PM (#5729671)
Not sure but I’m glad you agree George Steinbrenner is in heaven, a great and charitable man who inspired millions.
   317. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: August 19, 2018 at 12:51 PM (#5729679)
Not sure but I’m glad you agree George Steinbrenner is in heaven, a great and charitable man who inspired millions.

Yeah, but 7 ringz in 38 years is small potatoes compared to what Jacob Ruppert and Dan Topping accomplished in much less time. Steinbrenner may have a luxury box in heaven, but Ruppert and Topping are sitting in the Owner's Box.
   318. Hysterical & Useless Posted: August 19, 2018 at 04:38 PM (#5729830)
Sorry I wasn't here when bbc showed up. Miss you so much! Please please please come around more often.
   319. Rennie's Tenet Posted: August 19, 2018 at 06:33 PM (#5729927)
Every time I hear a black leader speak, or a black thinker write, I find myself nodding like when I used to read BaseballProspectus back in 2002. Like, isn’t it OBVIOUS that the treatment of black people in this country is a humiliating stain on all of us?

Perhaps ironically, this sounds very much like the unquestioning acceptance of narrative from baseball insiders, because they're the ones who've been between the lines. Which is exactly the opposite of baseball analytics.
Page 4 of 4 pages ‹ First  < 2 3 4

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
greenback slays lewks
for his generous support.