Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, February 13, 2014

Mariners’ Franklin Gutierrez to miss 2014 season, cites health issues

Veteran outfielder Franklin Gutierrez has informed the Mariners that he’ll miss the entirety of the 2014 season because of ongoing health and injury concerns. The M’s had earlier this offseason signed Gutierrez to a one-year, $1-million contract plus incentives. Obviously, they will now not be on the hook for that contract

Larry Stone tweets that Gutierrez told the team that he suffered a relapse of symptoms that he suffered last spring. Those would be gastrointestinal/autoimmune problems, which have obviously proved to be serious. The team has placed him on the restricted list, which creates room on the 40-man roster for the newly signed Fernando Rodney.

Thanks to NB

Repoz Posted: February 13, 2014 at 03:32 PM | 17 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: mariners

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Kiko Sakata Posted: February 13, 2014 at 03:44 PM (#4656434)
Veteran outfielder Franklin Gutierrez has informed the Mariners that he’ll miss the entirety of the 2014 season because of ongoing health and injury concerns.... The team has placed him on the restricted list, which creates room on the 40-man roster for the newly signed Fernando Rodney.

If his issues are health and injury related, shouldn't he be placed on the disabled list instead of the restricted list? And why is it obvious that the Mariners should be off the hook for paying an injured guy that they signed to a contract?
   2. flournoy Posted: February 13, 2014 at 03:47 PM (#4656437)
I believe that there is no disabled list yet, not until some time in March.
   3. JJ1986 Posted: February 13, 2014 at 03:48 PM (#4656438)
If his issues are health and injury related, shouldn't he be placed on the disabled list instead of the restricted list?

I had the same thought. Maybe he's retiring or temporarily "retiring."
   4. JJ1986 Posted: February 13, 2014 at 03:49 PM (#4656440)
I believe that there is no disabled list yet, not until some time in March.

I think it started today. Nats placed Erik Davis on it.
   5. Pat Rapper's Delight Posted: February 13, 2014 at 03:59 PM (#4656452)

Nats... Reds... some things just never change.
   6. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: February 13, 2014 at 04:01 PM (#4656454)
If his issues are health and injury related, shouldn't he be placed on the disabled list instead of the restricted list? And why is it obvious that the Mariners should be off the hook for paying an injured guy that they signed to a contract?

I think if you're on the disabled list, you're under an obligation to do what it takes to get back on the field. It sounds like Gutierrez has said these problems are too much for him to deal with and play baseball, so he's going to take a year off. It reminds me of Gil Meche - he could have been paid $11 million in the last year of his contract, but he would have been obligated to rehab, maybe get surgery. He didn't want to go through all that so he said "thanks, but no thanks" and returned the money and retired.
   7. smileyy Posted: February 13, 2014 at 04:20 PM (#4656466)
I should probably respect his privacy, but...

Crohn's? Ulcerative colitis? Celiac disease?
   8. SoSHially Unacceptable Posted: February 13, 2014 at 04:23 PM (#4656469)

The Dodgers and Diamondbacks had access to the DL earlier, due to their series in Australia.
   9. bookbook Posted: February 13, 2014 at 04:38 PM (#4656483)
smileyy, I can't remember what it's called, but his major problem is a genetic disorder that causes inflammation of his joints (among other things).

When the M's signed him for 2014, I suggested that it was in the best interests of Guti that he retire and focus his energies on being as healthy as his body will allow. Maybe start a coaching career or whatever the next chapter of his life might be.

I'm sorry that I was right, but it's probably best that this decision is coming now, rather than after three months of him doing further damage to his future quality of life.
   10. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: February 13, 2014 at 04:42 PM (#4656487)
smileyy, I can't remember what it's called, but his major problem is a genetic disorder that causes inflammation of his joints (among other things).

Ankylosing spondylitis.
   11. asinwreck Posted: February 13, 2014 at 05:25 PM (#4656539)
Sad. I wish him well.
   12. TVerik, the gum-snappin' hairdresser Posted: February 13, 2014 at 06:09 PM (#4656573)
Next time I see him, I'll ask Nick Johnson about the earliest that the DL is available.
   13. BDC Posted: February 13, 2014 at 06:18 PM (#4656578)
"Veteran?" I still think of him as a promising young player, though in my defense he only turns 31 next week. Often players have fulfilled their promise by the time I really notice them.
   14. Baldrick Posted: February 13, 2014 at 06:59 PM (#4656594)
The Mariners have had some truly great defenders out there over the past couple decades, but Gutierrez is right there among the best. That first year he played in Seattle was incredible. I'm not sure he was quite as good as Mike Cameron, but it was pretty darn close.

Real shame he's had all these health problems.
   15. Infinite Joost (Voxter) Posted: February 13, 2014 at 07:34 PM (#4656605)
It reminds me of Gil Meche - he could have been paid $11 million in the last year of his contract, but he would have been obligated to rehab, maybe get surgery. He didn't want to go through all that so he said "thanks, but no thanks" and returned the money and retired.

Interesting -- I remember this situation myself, but I didn't think about the fact that taking the money would involve medical procedures and stuff.
   16. Dan Posted: February 14, 2014 at 05:17 AM (#4656724)

Ankylosing spondylitis.

I'm fairly sure he also has either Crohn's or UC. Unfortunately there is a lot of comorbidity of IBD and other autoimmune diseases like RA/Ankylosing Spondylitis and Psoriasis.

I don't think Gutierrez's situation is really comparable to Meche. Meche retired rather than go through surgery and rehab whereas Gutierrez is saying he just isn't physically healthy enough to be a professional athlete right now. It's not a case of him not wanting to do any kind of intense rehab to get back on the field but rather a case of having issues keeping on weight, keeping limber, keeping strong, etc. Meche made a personal decision whereas Gutierrez really doesn't seem to have any choice.
   17. A big pile of nonsense (gef the talking mongoose) Posted: February 14, 2014 at 10:37 AM (#4656794)
I'm fairly sure he also has either Crohn's or UC. Unfortunately there is a lot of comorbidity of IBD and other autoimmune diseases like RA/Ankylosing Spondylitis and Psoriasis.

Proving once more to myself that I've lucked out with my very mild case of Crohn's. As I've said before, my worst day (which are few & far between) is undoubtedly much, much better than many others' best ones.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
The Ghost's Tryin' to Reason with Hurricane Season
for his generous support.