Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Mark Buehrle fires back at Miami Marlins: “I was lied to”

Welcome to BuehrleCon 2012!

While one of Jose Reyes’ representatives expressed disappointment this week with the Marlins for going back on their word, Buehrle and agent Jeff Barry issued a joint statement Wednesday expressing their view on the matter.

“I’m upset with how things turned out in Miami,” Buehrle said. “Just like the fans in South Florida, I was lied to on multiple occasions. But I’m putting it behind me and looking forward to moving on with my career.”

Marlins baseball czar Larry Beinfest, asked directly on a Monday conference call about reports of “verbal assurances” given to Reyes and Buehrle, said those didn’t come from him and were nothing he was privvy to.

If any such assurances had been made by him, Beinfest said, he would have put them in writing.

“In an off-season of change and uncertainty, the overriding factor in Mark’s signing with Miami was Ozzie Guillen and the level of comfort his presence provided Mark and his family,” Barry said in his statement. “While the Marlins were the highest bidder, baseball had already made Mark a wealthy man, so money was far from the most important factor in his decision.

“Throughout the recruiting process, the Marlins made repeated assurances about their long-term commitment to Mark and his family and their long-term commitment to building a winning tradition of Marlins baseball in the new stadium. This was demonstrated by their already completed signings of Ozzie, Heath Bell and Jose Reyes.

“At the same time, given the Marlins’ history, we were all certainly aware of and voiced concern about the lack of no-trade protection. This is unquestionably a business, and signing with the Marlins was a calculated risk. Mark held up his end of the bargain; unfortunately, the same can’t be said of the Marlins.”

Repoz Posted: November 21, 2012 at 02:57 PM | 209 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: marlins

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 3 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3
   201. Monty Predicts a Padres-Mariners WS in 2016 Posted: November 24, 2012 at 04:58 PM (#4308722)
For a guy who spends all day arguing on the Internet, you're really bad at it.
   202. Ray (RDP) Posted: November 24, 2012 at 05:02 PM (#4308724)
For a guy who spends all day arguing on the Internet, you're really bad at it.

The most surprising thing to me so far is your comment that I accused you of lying one day. Perhaps so, but I have no recollection of even seeing your name before a couple days ago.
   203. GGC don't think it can get longer than a novella Posted: November 24, 2012 at 11:02 PM (#4308871)
You don't remember Monty? He's been posting here since preregistration days. Who do you recognize here, Ray? Do you know me? MCoA? DanWerr? Larry Mahnken?
   204. Ray (RDP) Posted: November 24, 2012 at 11:05 PM (#4308872)
Do you know me? MCoA? DanWerr? Larry Mahnken?

Yes, Yes, No, Yes.
   205. GGC don't think it can get longer than a novella Posted: November 24, 2012 at 11:12 PM (#4308879)
Werr was a trick question. He just Lounges, but he did have a column years ago. Alas, I think it was erased. I cannot dig up Digging in the Astrodirt.
   206. Shock Posted: November 24, 2012 at 11:40 PM (#4308909)
To be fair, I am always confusing Monty, Morty and McCoy
   207. vivaelpujols Posted: November 25, 2012 at 05:54 AM (#4309064)
This is the dumbest thread of all time.
   208. Perro(s) Posted: November 26, 2012 at 12:54 AM (#4309460)
The stench of lawyering (with which I agreed) kept me out of here last week, but this continues to bug me:

But the moral world is also not zero-sum. The fact that he should have known better doesn't absolve the Marlins of dishonorable behavior. It just means he should have known better. The two issues are mostly independent.

The thing about scorpions is, they're invertebrates. Humans are generally held to higher standards.

Never could accept Kantian philosophy. Human beings are what they is.
   209. Ron J2 Posted: November 26, 2012 at 11:03 AM (#4309617)
#190 What did Marlins' management say in the wake of all of the signings? I'd be really surprised if they weren't talking about how the new stadium gave them the ability to compete financially.

However, I can't find any such statement on the record. I can find plenty of columnists speculating about the Marlins' long-term plans but when I tried to trace the speculations back to something from the Marlins, I found things like "declined comment".

Quite remarkable really, though my search was far from exhaustive.
Page 3 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
1k5v3L
for his generous support.