Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Saturday, December 07, 2013

MASN: Nationals sign Nate McLouth to 2yr/$10.75 million deal

The Nats also have a club option for 2016 at $6.5 million on this deal but I’ll eat my topsiders if they end up exercising it.

Mike Rizzo got his experienced starter in Doug Fister earlier this week. Now he has his left-handed-hitting reserve outfielder in Nate McLouth.

The Nationals have signed McLouth to a two-year contract, a source confirms, giving the Nats their fourth outfielder, one who can play any outfield spot and has a little bit of pop from the left side of the plate.

FOXSports.com was the first to report the signing, and according to the Baltimore Sun, McLouth will get $10.75 million over the two-year deal. [...]

The Nationals came into this offseason looking to bolster their bench, add more of a left-handed presence and get a solid defensive outfielder.

They paid nearly $5.5 million per season to get McLouth for two years, but get a guy off the bench who is a bit of a threat from the left side of the plate, gets on base at a decent rate, is defensively versatile in the outfield and has good speed.

Funny market.

Esoteric Posted: December 07, 2013 at 12:36 PM | 6 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: baltimore, nationals, orioles, washington

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. TerpNats Posted: December 07, 2013 at 08:02 PM (#4613207)
I too would be shocked to see Nate as a Nat in 2016, but they should be able to get two decent years out of him as a fourth OF. Before this, I was hoping Washington would pursue Sam Fuld, but McLouth has more pop and overall is a better player. Either would have been a major upgrade from Chad Tracy.
   2. Esoteric Posted: December 07, 2013 at 09:59 PM (#4613247)
I actually think it's a pretty good signing for the Nats, given the near-certainty that either Werth or Harper will go down for awhile at some point during the season. McLouth will be a perfectly cromulent 4th OF/bat off the bench up until that happens and will help keep the hole in the lineup from being too gaping afterwards. The money would have once seemed insane, but as I said above, it's a funny market nowadays...times change.
   3. Walt Davis Posted: December 07, 2013 at 11:58 PM (#4613295)
Sheesh, 4th OFs get 2/$11 these days?

I think I'm just gonna take how many years/$ I think a player "should" get (which is already unbelievable enough) and multiply the AAV by at least 1.5 and add an extra year.

It also seems like baseball is back to "hey, he had a pretty good year after sucking, he must be OK now" mode.
   4. Russ Posted: December 08, 2013 at 08:38 AM (#4613408)
McLouth's #5 comp is Brady Anderson. Anderson hit his 50 home runs at age 32.

Check and mate.

Legal disclosure: When Nate McLouth was with the Pirates organization, he was far and away my favorite player. The above statements may contain some unmeasurable fraction of wishcasting.

5. PASTE Thinks This Trout Kid Might Be OK (Zeth) Posted: December 08, 2013 at 09:54 AM (#4613426)
I remember being threatened with tar-and-feathering by nearly everyone I talked to at the ballpark when I said I thought the Pirates got a very good deal on the McLouth trade. Pirates fans were apoplectic about trading their mediocre (but gritty!) outfielder for three legitimate prospects.
   6. Russ Posted: December 10, 2013 at 07:51 AM (#4614894)
Sorry Zeth, I was just very emotional that day.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
The Ghost fouled out, but stays in the game
for his generous support.