Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, May 26, 2011

May 28, 2011 Primate Softball Extravaganza

When: May 28th from 12 - 4 pm. Where: New York, New York, Central Park, Field #8 in the Great North Meadow, roughly even with 100th street. This party is opened up to the Primate masses! There are maps of field locations at the Central Park website. Anyone is welcome, and there’s no cost. Talent and playing ability are optional. Check out the Forum thread to find out which handsome, magnetic Primates are playing

Dan Szymborski Posted: May 26, 2011 at 07:52 PM | 217 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: general

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 3 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3
   201. Bourbon Samurai Posted: May 31, 2011 at 03:29 AM (#3841306)
Count me in for a DC game. I'd suck, but I'd play!

I second this, I guess.

In general I like to watch baseball and play football, but I'll make an exception for a btf game.
   202. AZ Posted: May 31, 2011 at 01:02 PM (#3841424)
Yeah, it was a fun time. Thanks to Shooty for organizing, and Ray and Doris for bringing the necessary equipment.

Other items of note from our game:

1. As Ray mentioned, we were out there for a long time. A full nine inning competitive game, then six or seven innings of a casual game, then seven innings against some kids who were dying to get a game.

2. Those kids were on another field, but didn't have enough players to have two teams. So they kept bugging us to play against them, almost taunting us. Some of our guys left, so we had just enough for one full team (including catcher and four, maybe five, outfielders). Their ringleaders had a chant: "Ready to go, fire it up!".

3. We predictably got hosed. They turned a double play in each of the first two or three innings. One of their ringleaders was a big Dominican kid with a ponytail. He hit 2 homers, it took us about four cutoff throws just to get the ball to home plate. Other than him, though, their talent was about the same as ours. We joked that if their team were just the whites and Asians, we could have beaten them. As (mostly) pasty old men, we were tired from our first 16 innings, whereas they were ready to fire it up against us. If we had been fresh, I think we could have taken them.

4. We had a good mix of players on our BTF teams. There were some good players, but nobody was horrible, nobody was outstanding. As mentioned, Teal & Black hit the only homer, but it was more of a triple with some smart baserunning to take home after a slow relay. The number of players worked out perfectly, as we had just enough to field two teams without anyone having to ride the bench. It was funny watching Shooty and Lassus pick teams, given that they had never seen most of us play. I think I got picked second to last, which I used as motivation. Lassus then told me to lead off the game, because I “looked scrappy.”

Memorable plays:
- Pat, the 2B for the Shootys, turned a couple nice double plays. He was smart enough to wear cleats and long pants.
- The LF for the Shootys (the guy with the Brooklyn Dodgers cap) made some really good catches on balls I thought he had no chance on. He was like Al Gionfriddo out there.
- I was the victim of the only called strike (I think). Hitting team supplied the catcher, who doubled as the ump. Lassus called strike 2 on me, after that I was so shaken that I whiffed on the next pitch.
- RB’s dad threw a four pitch inning. Last guy who made out said “at least I got two pitches.” Unfortunately, he lost the strike zone the next inning.
- The girl in LF with the bikini could fly my kite any day.
- Lassus made some good plays at SS on some hard-hit balls. Our 1B had a good scoop on a throw from Lassus in the dirt, the kids compared him to Teixeira.

I had a great time, and would definitely be in for another game. I think it will be easier to get people next time because people know how much fun it is.
   203. A Fatty Cow That Need Two Seats Posted: May 31, 2011 at 01:05 PM (#3841425)
Thanks again to Shooty for setting up the game and Lassus for picking such a gutsy team. It's the third morning after the game; I'm still a little sore when waking up, but the redness against my pale (pale) skin has gone down.

Tip for anyone playing in the next game: stretch. It's not like I thought about it and decided against it; stretching before the game did not even cross my mind. By the time the second game started I had to request a move from outfield to infield.
   204. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: May 31, 2011 at 01:10 PM (#3841430)
- RB’s dad threw a four pitch inning. Last guy who made out said “at least I got two pitches.” Unfortunately, he lost the strike zone the next inning.
I kept telling you guys, he's like any modern reliever: one inning and done.
   205. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: May 31, 2011 at 01:31 PM (#3841438)
Also wanted to add my thanks to Shooty! I had a blast.

Hadn't played in at least 10 years, and I didn't embarass myself. Actually got a few hits. No power alas.

Looking forward to the next game!

Edit: Would also love to get a recap of everyone's name/handle. Maybe when we get the box score!

I'm Arthur, BTW.
   206. Lassus Posted: May 31, 2011 at 01:34 PM (#3841439)
AZ made two of the best plays of the day, although I don't think they were in the first, main game. The 8-3 putout on RB which deserves to be repeated a few hundred times and turned into oral history, and a leaping line-drive catch against the Dominican kids (I think). He WAS scrappy.

Also, as an aside, the one of the guys from St. Thomas just about picked a fight with the biggest Dominican kid there. Do not mess with tenors. Because they aren't very smart.

Pictures are being sent to Dan today, so hopefully he'll be able to create a post here with them in some way, along with the scoresheet.
   207. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: May 31, 2011 at 01:42 PM (#3841444)
I'm at my office, so once I've done work(/looked like I'm doing work) for a few hours, I'll scan the score sheet and send it along.
   208. Home Run Teal & Black Black Black Gone! Posted: May 31, 2011 at 02:50 PM (#3841489)
Video of my four-bagger forthcoming.
   209. Jose Canusee Posted: May 31, 2011 at 02:51 PM (#3841490)
Don't know what the big deal was about buying bases. You had a dozen people, should have gotten 3 pizzas. Everybody gets a piece before the game. The box with the most left becomes 1B, the next 2B, the one with only a couple left is 3B. To get seconds you have to reach that base. Then the old dudes can rope one in the gap and huff into 2nd and say "I would have gone for three but I already had a clam and garlic and wanted to try the veggie combo".
   210. Ray (RDP) Posted: May 31, 2011 at 08:10 PM (#3841738)
I was the victim of the only called strike (I think). Hitting team supplied the catcher, who doubled as the ump. Lassus called strike 2 on me, after that I was so shaken that I whiffed on the next pitch.

Since we had no true home plate ump, I was generally trying to keep the ball in the zone for everyone when I was pitching. I thought it would be kind of cheap to exploit the lack of a true home plate ump and start going out of the zone with the pitches and getting people to chase. Plus, we were there to have fun and be competitive within the confines of the no-ump situation.

The only exception I made was to Swoboda, because he kept crushing the ball to LF. So I went low on him rather than feed him a fat pitch. But I tried to stay in the zone, at his knees.

He crushed it anyway.

As for your strikeout, AZ, I did think the pitch Lassus called on you for strike two was a bit high; I'd have called it a ball myself, but it was borderline enough to go with the strike call -- which kind of underscores my point about trying not to exploit the lack of a true ump and the fact that the acting ump is trying to be fair to both sides and actually is more likely to give a break to the opposing team. The pitch you swung through for strike three was high, but that was unintentional; I was trying to go upstairs but still stay in the zone. I got it a bit too high and -- voila.

----

Arthur, you played a hell of a game for not having played in 10 years.
   211. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: May 31, 2011 at 08:16 PM (#3841743)
Arthur, you played a hell of a game for not having played in 10 years.

That's the great thing about being fat and lazy when you were 18; you don't lose much as you age ;-)
   212. bunyon Posted: May 31, 2011 at 08:29 PM (#3841752)
They turned a double play in each of the first two or three innings.

Those Dominican kids clearly are lurking and know that no one around here is going in hard.
   213. SoSH U at work Posted: June 01, 2011 at 07:06 PM (#3842683)
Update for any Chicago area Primates who haven't visited the Lounge thread...

We're looking at the 16th of July for a game. Kiko has volunteered to lock down a field. Any commitments, suggestions should be posted there.

Lurkers are welcome. So too are BTFBFFs.
   214. A Fatty Cow That Need Two Seats Posted: June 02, 2011 at 01:07 AM (#3843004)
pictures :(

scorecard :(
   215. Kiko Sakata Posted: June 02, 2011 at 05:53 PM (#3843464)
Update for any Chicago area Primates who haven't visited the Lounge thread...

We're looking at the 16th of July for a game. Kiko has volunteered to lock down a field. Any commitments, suggestions should be posted there.

Lurkers are welcome. So too are BTFBFFs.

I have reserved a field at Independence Park from 1:00 - 5:00 pm on Saturday, July 16th.

The field will only accommodate 16" softball (this is fairly typical of Chicago parks).

Accessibility:

Driving - via the Kennedy Expressway (I-90/I-94), take the Irving Park exit and go 2 blocks east on Irving Park Rd
locally, the park is on Irving Park Rd, between Elston and Pulaski

CTA - by El, take the Blue Line to Irving Park and walk 3 blocks east on Irving Park Rd
by bus, the #80 (Irving Park) stops at the park, the #53 (Pulaski) will get you within two blocks of the park

Metra - the Union Pacific, Northwest has a stop at Irving Park just on the other side of the Expressway (~4 block walk to park), although I don't know anything about weekend schedules there

I think there's a small parking lot at the park, but on-street parking is pretty plentiful (free on side streets, most of which don't have permit requirements).

It'll cost $50 for the 4 hours. I have not paid yet and was told not to bother paying until no sooner than the day before, so if people don't like this choice, we can go another direction at no cost. I live <2 blocks from this park, so hopefully I'm familiar enough with the area to answer any questions anybody might have.
   216. Kiko Sakata Posted: June 02, 2011 at 06:16 PM (#3843511)
I have reserved a field at Independence Park from 1:00 - 5:00 pm on Saturday, July 16th.

Just FYI: The address shown at my link here is wrong (the park's address is 3945 N. Springfield). The map is correct, however, and shows the park in the right place.
   217. Lassus Posted: June 04, 2011 at 12:39 PM (#3845015)
pictures :(

scorecard :(

Hey guys.

Um, well, you're going to have to pester Szym for this stuff, he said he was going to make a post here on the site. but I haven't heard anything from him. He has mine and RB's pictures and also the scorecard.
Page 3 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
James Kannengieser
for his generous support.