Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, June 05, 2014

McCoy: Jay Bruce: 500 RBI and counting

Exactly, counting.

Jay Bruce sat on 499 career runs batted in for a long time — and he sat on it and sat on it and sat on it.

He had 499 when he went on the disabled list on May 6. He returned to the lineup on May 23. He played eight games, had 34 at-bats, before he drove in No. 500. That came in the first inning against the San Francisco Giants Tuesday night and then he later drove in No. 501.

BRUCE IS ONLY the fifth member of the Cincinnati Reds to reach 500 RBIs at the age of 26, joining Johnny Bench (855), Frank Robinson (800), Vada Pinson (700 and Adam Dunn (572).

“It is special to me because it mean I have at least semi doing my job since I’ve been here,” said Bruce, a perfectionist who is never content, even when he is on one of his hot spells. He always believes he can do better, always works toward that end and says his goal is to be one of the best players in the game.

“It is humbling at the same time when I see the guys who are on that list and some of them had 800 RBI by this point. So it keeps you knowing where you are on the totem pole. It is a checkpoint for me. It was No. 500 and hopefully a lot more to come.”

Repoz Posted: June 05, 2014 at 09:06 AM | 2 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: reds

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Don August(us) Cesar Geronimo Berroa Posted: June 05, 2014 at 10:30 AM (#4719565)
Probably a typo, since the numbers don't change when you run them through PI, but, Jay Bruce is 27. Also, McCoy must only be going back to 1901, because he missed the immortal Bug Holliday, who had 566 rbi for the Reds by age 27 (1889-1894)
   2. Batman Posted: June 05, 2014 at 01:41 PM (#4719736)
The Reds released Dick Hoblitzell 100 years ago just to keep him off this list. Hoblitzell went to the Red Sox. The Red Sox may have sent Babe Ruth to the minor leagues to make room for Hoblitzell.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Francis
for his generous support.