Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, September 27, 2019

Minor gets 200th K after Rangers let popup drop

Mike Minor’s 200th strikeout of the season for the Texas Rangers came with some controversy Thursday.

With one out in the ninth inning and Minor a strikeout away from reaching the mark for the first time in his career, the left-hander got the Boston Red Sox’s Chris Owings to pop up a 1-2 pitch into foul territory. Minor, catcher Jose Trevino and first baseman Ronald Guzman converged on the ball, but Guzman let it drop in front of him, allowing Owings’ at-bat to continue.

Minor struck him out on the next pitch for his ninth strikeout of the game and 200th of his season.

“We were yelling, telling [Guzman] to drop it because there’s going to be two strikes,” Minor said. “He dropped it, and then he looked at me like, ‘What? Why?’ And then everybody started booing or whatever. I had to thank him for that, because [the fans] didn’t understand.”

The things we do for milestones…..

QLE Posted: September 27, 2019 at 12:12 AM | 40 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: fielding, mike minor, milestones, strikeouts

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. ajnrules Posted: September 27, 2019 at 10:45 AM (#5883623)
Seems like there's a lot of butthurt from Red Sox Nation about this, but practically the exact same thing happened on Roger Clemens's first 20-strikeout game.
   2. PreservedFish Posted: September 27, 2019 at 10:48 AM (#5883625)
I guess I'm surprised that multiple people on the team were aware that Minor had 199 strikeouts, and that he really gave a #### about getting 200.
   3. Nasty Nate Posted: September 27, 2019 at 10:54 AM (#5883631)
Seems like there's a lot of butthurt from Red Sox Nation about this, but practically the exact same thing happened on Roger Clemens's first 20-strikeout game.
Is this a thing? I was too young at the time, but did people think Baylor dropped a foul popup intentionally IN THE FOURTH INNING so that Clemens could set a record?
   4. jacksone (AKA It's OK...) Posted: September 27, 2019 at 11:28 AM (#5883644)
That really does not look like Baylor dropped that on purpose. The announcers certainly didn't think so, they immediately mention that Baylor told them he felt uncomfortable on those plays.
   5. Moses Taylor, aka Hambone Fakenameington Posted: September 27, 2019 at 11:36 AM (#5883650)
Sure seemed like the Red Sox went out of their way to try and stop Minor from getting that milestone at the cost of them winning the game.
   6. jmurph Posted: September 27, 2019 at 11:39 AM (#5883651)
Sure seemed like the Red Sox went out of their way to try and stop Minor from getting that milestone at the cost of them winning the game.

What is this in reference to?

EDIT: Don't mean that to be confrontational, I'm just not understanding how "trying to avoid striking out" could be bad, and I didn't see the game.
   7. Moses Taylor, aka Hambone Fakenameington Posted: September 27, 2019 at 11:42 AM (#5883655)
link

EDIT: For the record, my post comes off way too judgmental too. I really find the whole thing amusing, both sides, and think anyone annoyed by either team here was taking a meaningless game too seriously.
   8. jmurph Posted: September 27, 2019 at 11:46 AM (#5883656)
Hmm yeah that's dumb, but also a good illustration of the thing we beat to death on this website: "contact swings" are now anathema! You better swing from your heels or you're not trying to win! Kind of funny.
   9. jmurph Posted: September 27, 2019 at 11:51 AM (#5883662)
But yeah in summary, being eliminated and then trying to deprive a guy of a personal accomplishment in a meaningless game is something I'd expect Buck Showalter's Orioles or the current Pirates to do. It's a loser move, they should be better than that.
   10. Moses Taylor, aka Hambone Fakenameington Posted: September 27, 2019 at 11:52 AM (#5883663)
also a good illustration of the thing we beat to death on this website: "contact swings" are now anathema! You better swing from your heels or you're not trying to win!

Maybe, but 3 pitch innings usually don't happen*, and for good reason. If the first 2 guys get out on 2 pitches, the next batter almost always takes some pitches - at least 1 - and it's one of those things that's just hammered into our heads watching games. The 2nd and 3rd pitches aren't strikes either - at least the first one looks like a pitch right down the middle so of course Holt will swing at that.

*I saw some tweet yesterday that they've been like 3 times as many "immaculate" innings as they have been 3 pitch ones.
   11. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: September 27, 2019 at 11:58 AM (#5883666)
But yeah in summary, being eliminated and then trying to deprive a guy of a personal accomplishment in a meaningless game is something I'd expect Buck Showalter's Orioles or the current Pirates to do. It's a loser move, they should be better than that.

Trying not to strike out is the hitter's job. Trailing by two runs, trying to get a base hit, rather than swinging for the fences, is good strategy.
   12. SoSH U at work Posted: September 27, 2019 at 12:21 PM (#5883671)
Maybe, but 3 pitch innings usually don't happen*, and for good reason. If the first 2 guys get out on 2 pitches, the next batter almost always takes some pitches - at least 1 - and it's one of those things that's just hammered into our heads watching games. The 2nd and 3rd pitches aren't strikes either - at least the first one looks like a pitch right down the middle so of course Holt will swing at that.

Yeah, but you typically want to avoid 3-pitch innings to give your pitcher some rest. But they switched pitchers, so it wasn't really an issue.

I wouldn't be surprised if two eliminated teams at the very end of a season would be more interested in just moving the game along, rather than dragging it out by long at bats.

However, it's still odd. If the Sox did this to keep Minor from 200 Ks, that's definitely a bush league move. Hell, that the Sox would be aware that Minor was on the verge of such an otherwise nothing milestone strikes me as a little bizarre.

13. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: September 27, 2019 at 12:33 PM (#5883676)
Trying not to strike out is the hitter's job. Trailing by two runs, trying to get a base hit, rather than swinging for the fences, is good strategy.
Except that's pretty clearly not what they were trying to do.
   14. Ziggy is done with Dominican discotheques Posted: September 27, 2019 at 12:36 PM (#5883677)
something I'd expect Buck Showalter's Orioles or the current Pirates to do.

Nah, Buck would have had a very high quality contact hitter available to pinch hit, who could almost surely have deprived Minor of his individual record, but he would have inexplicably let Ubaldo Jimenez hit anyway.
   15. JAHV Posted: September 27, 2019 at 12:50 PM (#5883681)

Sure, and I'm on the record as being all for putting the ball in play. But give me an example when the Sox have employed this strategy in a similar situation and I'll believe it was really strategy and not just a middle finger to Minor. The Sox aren't known as a free swinging team, and Brock Holt saw the most pitches per plate appearance of anyone on the team this season.

I don't like that the Rangers allowed a pop fly to drop to get a record, but the Sox taking artificially poor ABs in order to prevent it is worse, in my opinion. And since 3-pitch innings are NEVER seen any more, I find it hard to believe this was three guys who had been told by their manager that swinging at the first pitch and putting it in play, however weakly, was the best way to get back in the ballgame. In fact, with Minor up over 100 pitches, I would think that the deeper a batter was able to work the count, the better chance he'd have of seeing a meatball.

There's also this from the Deadspin piece:

Minor said that Brock Holt, the former Stephenville High School star, looked at the Rangers’ dugout and laughed after his first-pitch popup in the eighth.

A bit Bush League from the Rangers for chasing a milestone, but even more from the Red Sox for employing suboptimal strategy (and possibly purposefully getting out) just to spoil it.
   16. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: September 27, 2019 at 12:52 PM (#5883682)
All in all, this is another data point supporting the theory that the level of d-baggery is probably somewhat higher among professional athletes than among the general population.
   17. Darren Posted: September 27, 2019 at 01:12 PM (#5883693)
That Deadspin article is pretty dumb. It claims that the 3 first-pitch swings in the 6th inning are an indicator that the Red Sox were trying to keep minor from 200 Ks. However, as the article notes, 2 of those were HRs!

I looked at the link you provided and even according to that the 2nd pitch was a borderline strike. And it was Gorkys Hernandez. I think we can chalk that up to Gorkys Hernandez being a pretty poor hitter. The 3rd pitch was to Jackie Bradley, who is, as a hitter, an excellent defensive center fielder. Maybe that one is questionable. But remember, there are a couple of reasons to avoid 3 pitch innings. One is to give your own pitcher a break, which SOSH already mooted. The other is to drive up the opposing pitcher's pitch count. At this point, it's pretty clear that Minor is in the game to get 200 Ks, and he's going to stay as long as he needs to.

But lets try to give the benefit of the doubt to the idea that the Red Sox are just trying to avoid K #200. What would we expect to happen in the 9th inning? They would again be swinging at everything, right? But Sandy Leon takes a borderline pitch 1 before flying out. Chris Owings takes pitch 1 on the corner before the foul pop up and then takes pitch 3, which is a mile out of the zone and an obvious gift from the umpire (I guess he wanted the 200 Ks too).

The fact here is that the Rangers did something pretty lame and then tried to find a way to deflect criticism onto others. It's pretty lame and I hope they don't come to regret pushing Minor to a season high in pitches for this.
   18. Darren Posted: September 27, 2019 at 01:22 PM (#5883701)

Is this a thing? I was too young at the time, but did people think Baylor dropped a foul popup intentionally IN THE FOURTH INNING so that Clemens could set a record?

Yeah, that is not a thing. At all. It was a lucky break for Clemens, nothing like this.

There's a much better story about Clemens that relates to this situation. In 1997, Clemens was having one of the most dominant seasons in history and coming down the stretch he's battling Randy Johnson for the strikeout title. Meanwhile, Randy Johnson comes into the last few days of the season at 19 wins and wants to get to 20. He and the Mariners orchestrate a completely bogus situation where another pitcher throws the first 4 innings of a game and then leaves despite pitching well and having a lead. Johnson comes in and throws 2 IP and gets 3 Ks, pushing him 7 ahead of Clemens.

On the final day of the season, Clemens comes out and racks up 7 Ks, through 5 IP, tying Johnson. He stays in the game for the 6th, 7th, and 8th, despite striking out zero batters in those innings. He comes out in the 9th having already thrown 140 pitches. He strikes out the first pitcher, giving him sole possession of the strikeout title, and leaves. Toronto blows the game, of course.

19. Rob_Wood Posted: September 27, 2019 at 01:28 PM (#5883706)
I can imagine that the 200 strikeout "milestone" was mentioned in the Ranger dugout, but how were the Red Sox even aware that Minor was nearing 200? Does the Ranger scoreboard show the pitcher's seasonal strikeout total? Maybe the Rangers radio announcers made a big deal about it and someone in the Red Sox clubhouse heard about it??

Let's get to the bottom of this!
   20. Ithaca2323 Posted: September 27, 2019 at 01:33 PM (#5883711)
There's a much better story about Clemens that relates to this situation. In 1997, Clemens was having one of the most dominant seasons in history and coming down the stretch he's battling Randy Johnson for the strikeout title. Meanwhile, Randy Johnson comes into the last few days of the season at 19 wins and wants to get to 20. He and the Mariners orchestrate a completely bogus situation where another pitcher throws the first 4 innings of a game and then leaves despite pitching well and having a lead. Johnson comes in and throws 2 IP and gets 3 Ks, pushing him 7 ahead of Clemens.

On the final day of the season, Clemens comes out and racks up 7 Ks, through 5 IP, tying Johnson. He stays in the game for the 6th, 7th, and 8th, despite striking out zero batters in those innings. He comes out in the 9th having already thrown 140 pitches. He strikes out the first pitcher, giving him sole possession of the strikeout title, and leaves. Toronto blows the game, of course.

I had no idea about that RJ story. Interesting (and of course, it further highlights the absurdity of holding the 20-win mark as sacred, as many writers did)

Clemens' role in it reminds me of the time the Yankees hit Don Mattingly leadoff in the final game of the 1986 season to try and get him 6 PAs, so he could go 6-for-6 and win the batting title. It half-worked (he got the 6 PAs)
   21. Nasty Nate Posted: September 27, 2019 at 01:41 PM (#5883721)
Yeah, that is not a thing. At all. It was a lucky break for Clemens, nothing like this.

Well, ajnrules can put those stories in his file so he can helpfully trot them out whenever Jays or Mariners fans get uppity! Although at 22 years old, that might be too recent for him.
   22. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: September 27, 2019 at 01:50 PM (#5883724)
This kind of BS reminds me of the Ricky Davis trying to shoot on his own basket and collect the rebound in order to complete a triple double.
   23. Darren Posted: September 27, 2019 at 01:53 PM (#5883726)
I had no idea about that RJ story. Interesting (and of course, it further highlights the absurdity of holding the 20-win mark as sacred, as many writers did)

The starting pitcher (I want to say Omar Olivares?) was none too pleased.

Even crazier--the Mariners had made the playoffs and throwing Johnson there meant he was throwing on 3 days rest and then again throwing on short rest for the playoffs. He went on to put up a 5.54 ERA as Seattle was eliminated by the Orioles.
   24. Barry`s_Lazy_Boy Posted: September 27, 2019 at 02:10 PM (#5883731)
He and the Mariners orchestrate a completely bogus situation where another pitcher throws the first 4 innings of a game

Just an early adopter of The Opener.

25. Nasty Nate Posted: September 27, 2019 at 02:27 PM (#5883737)
Omar Olivares named started for Sox game Sunday - Eduardo Rodriguez (19-6) will come in relief.
   26. oscar madisox Posted: September 27, 2019 at 02:39 PM (#5883739)
Did Minor ever do anything to piss off one of the Red Sox? Otherwise why would they care?

Minor grew up not far from Nashville. So did Mookie Betts, though he's a bit younger. Maybe young Minor plunked a Betts relative in a high school playoff game in 2005 or whatever.

Things I did not know, dept. - Minor went to a high school named after Confederate and Klan hero Nathan Bedford Forrest.

27. JAHV Posted: September 27, 2019 at 03:05 PM (#5883750)
The fact here is that the Rangers did something pretty lame and then tried to find a way to deflect criticism onto others. It's pretty lame and I hope they don't come to regret pushing Minor to a season high in pitches for this.

I assume you're a Sox fan defending your team. As I said, I don't really like what the Rangers did, although the only thing that really crosses the line is allowing the pop-up to drop. Pitching is voodoo, so Minor's arm was likely to fall off next season anyway.

But there's no chance that 8th inning was anything other than trying to be d-bags. Teams simply do not have three-pitch innings.
   28. stanmvp48 Posted: September 27, 2019 at 03:10 PM (#5883753)
Not exactly related but I seem to remember reading about Wilt's 100 point game that the Knicks started fouling the Philly guards as soon as they crossed half court so they couldn't pass the ball to Chamberlain. Then they started deliberately missing the free throws
   29. SandyRiver Posted: September 27, 2019 at 03:35 PM (#5883767)
#28: IIRC, Wilt was 28-of-32 from the line in that game, incredible for a guy who hit closer to 50% for his career. Also, the fact that he got fouled that often says (to me, anyway) that the Knicks weren't just fouling the guards. Of course, the game was a blowout, something like 163-100, so some less-than-optimal 2nd half play was certainly possible, especially as the Warriors were in full feed-Wilt mode.
   30. Darren Posted: September 27, 2019 at 03:42 PM (#5883771)
I assume you're a Sox fan defending your team.

I am a Sox fan but have tried to take that out of it. I assume you're making an honest argument, but you've not addressed why the Red Sox decided to take pitches in the 9th and the fact that there's absolutely nothing unusual about the second batter of an inning swinging at a borderline pitch.

And here's an interesting fact that I bet the Red Sox noticed: When putting the first pitch in play against Mike Minor this year, batters are hitting .327 .340 .653. Prior to the inning in question, the Sox were 4-6 with 2 HRs when putting the first pitch in play. The home runs came in the 7th, when the first 3 hitters--one of those 3 being Bradley (edited to fix error in who was batting)--all swung at the first pitch.

But there's no chance that 8th inning was anything other than trying to be d-bags. Teams simply do not have three-pitch innings.

Two others in 2019 alone. I wonder what kind of underhanded stuff was going on there.
   31. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: September 27, 2019 at 03:59 PM (#5883777)
29: Warriors won by 22 (or so), both teams were fouling each other by the end - Knicks fouling other Warriors to stop Wilt, as well as trying to kill the clock and with the Warriors responding by eventually fouling to get the ball back - but that all started only over the last five, six (?) minutes.
Full feed Wilt mode started in the 2nd half as I recall, after Wilt had a hot start against a Knicks club whose backup center, pressed into starting duty (starter had the flu), Wilt had a grievance against. (And as he got into foul trouble, Wilt dominated their replacements...
   32. The Yankee Clapper Posted: September 27, 2019 at 04:13 PM (#5883784)
Cora’s comment - “I’m just happy our guys are playing the game the right way” - seems to suggest others aren’t, but this is pretty small potatoes. I doubt there’s enough here to start a lasting grudge.
   33. JAHV Posted: September 27, 2019 at 04:30 PM (#5883790)
I am a Sox fan but have tried to take that out of it. I assume you're making an honest argument, but you've not addressed why the Red Sox decided to take pitches in the 9th and the fact that there's absolutely nothing unusual about the second batter of an inning swinging at a borderline pitch.

And here's an interesting fact that I bet the Red Sox noticed: When putting the first pitch in play against Mike Minor this year, batters are hitting .327 .340 .653. Prior to the inning in question, the Sox were 4-6 with 2 HRs when putting the first pitch in play. The home runs came in the 7th, when the first 3 hitters--one of those 3 being Bradley (edited to fix error in who was batting)--all swung at the first pitch.

It's possible some of the Sox didn't want to partake in the d-baggery and were actually interested in winning the game. And yes, I do think it's incredibly unusual for a batter to swing at a borderline first pitch in 2019 when the pitcher is at 120 pitches. This also ignores Holt's taunt of the Rangers dugout after his at bat in the 8th.

Two others in 2019 alone. I wonder what kind of underhanded stuff was going on there.

Probably nothing, since no one was trying to keep someone from a silly milestone.
   34. Walt Davis Posted: September 27, 2019 at 05:07 PM (#5883810)
did people think Baylor dropped a foul popup intentionally IN THE FOURTH INNING so that Clemens could set a record?

Planning ahead was what made Baylor such a great manager!
   35. Itchy Row Posted: September 27, 2019 at 05:08 PM (#5883811)
Nobody on the Red Sox wanted to have to tell his grandson in 40 years that he was on the team Mike Minor got his 200th strikeout against.
   36. Darren Posted: September 27, 2019 at 06:28 PM (#5883831)
*I saw some tweet yesterday that they've been like 3 times as many "immaculate" innings as they have been 3 pitch ones.

I believe it's about 2:1 in favor of 3 pitch innings.

37. Darren Posted: September 27, 2019 at 06:59 PM (#5883836)
Just want to clarify the argument being made here:

The Red Sox did not want to let Mike Minor get to 200 Ks. Despite this, they ran out one of the worst and most strikeout-prone lineups imaginable.

In the 7th inning, the Sox decided that Minor was getting too close to 200, so they then swung at the first pitch three times in a row, just to spite him! But they screwed up, accidentally smashing 2 HRs. For the rest of the inning, they decided to take some pitches for some reason. So Marco Hernandez takes 3 before swinging, Centeno takes 1, Martinez swings at one but then watches 4 of the next 5 for a walk.

At this point, the Rangers--the ones who are angry that the Red Sox are not trying to win--leave in Mike Minor, who's throw 110+ pitches and given up 2 HRs, a walk and a single and has 2 baserunners on. He then strikes out Sam Travis, who took the first 2 pitches.

In the bottom of the inning, the Rangers tie the game up on two home runs. For the 8th, the Rangers, who care only about winning and expect the same of their opponents, send Mike Minor back to the mound because a) he gives them their best chance to win, b) Mike Minor has never had any health issues, and c) the year is 1979. This is where the Red Sox deviance kicks into a higher gear! First up, Brock Holt, who SWINGS AT THE FIRST PITCH, which also happens to be down the middle, and grounds out. Then, instead of taunting Minor directly, the coward does the following:

Minor said that Brock Holt, the former Stephenville High School star, looked at the Rangers’ dugout and laughed after his first-pitch popup in the eighth.

This bastard! Not only does he laugh, he laughs right after an event that happened in the 2nd inning, but somehow transports it through time to the 8th! (Luckily we know the details are 100 percent accurate because the reporter who reported them got them from Mike Minor who heard them from his manager.)

Next up, the vile monster Gorkys Hernandez violates baseball's number #1 rule by swinging at a pitch on the corner. He hits a groundball that usually results in a batting average of .460. Following him is Jackie Bradley, who homered on the first pitch that Minor threw him the previous inning. Now you would think that Holt (free agent next year), Hernandez (journeyman trying to hang on), and Bradley (arb eligible), would care more about padding their own stats against an obviously tired pitcher. But that's just how evil they are.

In the 9th inning, the Sox again lose the plot, taking pitching and eventually one of them strikes out. The Rangers consult their win expectancy diagram and realize that now is the perfect time to remove Mike Minor, even though "Iron Mike" (as he's called because of his durability) could easily throw another 40-50 pitches.

Having re-examined the facts, the only solution I can see is one-year bans for Hernandez and Bradley and a lifetime ban for Holt (laughing!). And of course, some sort of Nobel for Mike Minor and the Rangers, for their dedication to winning above all.
   38. Howie Menckel Posted: September 27, 2019 at 07:23 PM (#5883840)
Clemens' role in it reminds me of the time the Yankees hit Don Mattingly leadoff in the final game of the 1986 season to try and get him 6 PAs, so he could go 6-for-6 and win the batting title. It half-worked (he got the 6 PAs)

I was AT this game - it was in Fenway.

Boggs - who never seemed too beloved in Boston, to me anyway - sat out the final, meaningless 4-game series against the Yankees which basically clinched the batting crown for him. Mattingly got booed in his first AB, but as he piled up 5 hits in his next 8 AB, there was a smattering of applause in the stands for him. Sawx fans around me were appreciative of Mattingly's doomed, but nonetheless game, effort.

Mattingly went 1 for 5 in the second game of the Saturday doubleheader (Friday night rainout) and then 2 for 5 on Sunday.

so I was on hand in Boston to see the Red Sox regular season end and then in Queens to see their postseason end (in Game 7 of the World Series).

I suppose some well-heeled Red Sox fans would have been at both games as well. I was pretty much - just a heel, then. and maybe now.
   39. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: September 27, 2019 at 10:15 PM (#5883892)

It wasn't intentional, but Yogi Berra dropped an easy foul popup by Ted Williams with 2 outs in the 9th that would've given Allie Reynolds his second no-hitter of the 1951 season. Box score and play-by-play.

Given a reprieve, Williams then hit another popup to almost the exact same spot. And this time Berra hung onto it.
   40. Jose is an Absurd Time Cube Posted: September 28, 2019 at 09:01 AM (#5883950)
I went to the Friday game of that Yankee-Red Sox series in 1986. Mattingly got booed pretty good, we wanted our guy to win the batting title.

What I remember most though is that my father drove us (him and me, my best friend and his dad) to Alewife subway station to get to the game. As we sat on the subway my father realized he didn’t have his keys. So he hopped off and went back to Alewife while we went to the game. My father got there to realize he had locked the keys in the car...with the car running.

I think the dumbest thing he did was tell us that is what he did by the time he made it to the game. He got (and has gotten since then) an unholy amount of grief from the three of us.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Dock Ellis
for his generous support.