Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Minor League Pace-Of-Play Changes in 2018

EXTRA INNINGS

At all levels of Minor League Baseball, extra innings will begin with a runner on second base. The runner at second base will be the player in the batting order position previous to the leadoff batter of the inning (or a substitute for that player). By way of example, if the number five hitter in the batting order is due to lead off the 10th inning, the number four player in the batting order (or a pinch-runner for such player) shall begin the inning on second base. Any runner or batter removed from the game for a substitute shall be ineligible to return to the game, as is the case in all circumstances under the Official Baseball Rules.

The lead-in for the above mentions that this particular rule is more about player safety - specifically the impact of extra-inning games on pitchers. But there are other rule changes on mound visits, pitch clocks, etc., in the article.

villageidiom Posted: March 14, 2018 at 04:56 PM | 273 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: extra innings, minor leagues, minors, pace of play

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 3 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3
   201. SoSH U at work Posted: March 19, 2018 at 03:08 PM (#5639874)
I saw one game, that I recall, that lasted under 2 hours. Aaron Cook threw a 79-pitch shutout against the Pads in 1:58 at Coors Field (it was the first, and perhaps still the only, sub 2-hour game in the park's history). I thought it was anything but unsatisfying. And my youngest son, six at the time, never left his seat.

202. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: March 19, 2018 at 03:16 PM (#5639880)
I see all the points on this but when I go to a game in person I don't mind nearly as much if it takes awhile. When I'm watching on TV at home, there is always a pressing sort of nagging feeling that I could be doing something more productive. In person, I'm there to watch baseball and frankly, "I don't care if I ever get back."
   203. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: March 19, 2018 at 03:31 PM (#5639886)
I see all the points on this but when I go to a game in person I don't mind nearly as much if it takes awhile. When I'm watching on TV at home, there is always a pressing sort of nagging feeling that I could be doing something more productive. In person, I'm there to watch baseball and frankly, "I don't care if I ever get back."

On a nice Saturday afternoon, sure. But, on a weekday night? I'm constantly watching the clock, and usually have to leave early so I can get in bed by midnight.
   204. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: March 19, 2018 at 03:38 PM (#5639890)
On a nice Saturday afternoon, sure. But, on a weekday night? I'm constantly watching the clock, and usually have to leave early so I can get in bed by midnight.

Fair enough. I grew up on the Jersey Shore so we really only went to games on weekends for that reason. When I lived in Chicago I would always be home well before midnight so no issue. But yeah if I lived in the suburbs AND I had to get up early in the morning the next day I could see that being an issue. Now of course I live in a AAA city so not ideal :(
   205. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: March 19, 2018 at 03:57 PM (#5639909)
I grew up on the Jersey Shore
...and yet you seem like a decent person...
I lived in Chicago
...ah, there it is.
   206. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: March 19, 2018 at 04:01 PM (#5639913)
...ah, there it is.

HAHA yes! I left the armpit of America for the capital of the Midwest. Unfortunately the Cubs demoted me to AAA so here I am in Des Moines now. Happily engaged with a 3 year old boy though so it's worth it.
   207. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: March 19, 2018 at 04:31 PM (#5639936)
Happily engaged with a 3 year old boy though so it's worth it.
Do the 3-year-old's parents know about your engagement?? I can't imagine that would be OK even in Iowa.
   208. PreservedFish Posted: March 19, 2018 at 04:40 PM (#5639937)
You're not engaged unless there's a ring and a wedding date. He'll be legal in what, 2033?
   209. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: March 19, 2018 at 04:45 PM (#5639939)
Do the 3-year-old's parents know about your engagement?? I can't imagine that would be OK even in Iowa.

Ughh walked right into that one didn't I?
   210. bunyon Posted: March 19, 2018 at 04:45 PM (#5639940)
Happily engaged with a 3 year old boy though so it's worth it.

The greatest sentence ever written.

Seriously, congrats.
   211. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: March 19, 2018 at 04:47 PM (#5639942)
He'll be legal in what, 2033?

I just wrote him a note for his time capsule to be opened up in 2033 and included, as a postscript, that hopefully the Mets will have won the World Series by now.
   212. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: March 19, 2018 at 04:48 PM (#5639943)
I grew up on the Jersey Shore

...and yet you seem like a decent person...

I lived in Chicago

...ah, there it is.

I resent that.

I lived in Chicago and I'm still not a decent person.
   213. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: March 19, 2018 at 04:49 PM (#5639944)
Seriously, congrats.

Thanks! Family is fun. We're tying the knot (my adult fiancée and I) in Las Vegas in August.
   214. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: March 19, 2018 at 04:56 PM (#5639949)

I'm sure it's a tough job being history's 42nd greatest monster, but someone has to do it.
   215. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: March 19, 2018 at 04:57 PM (#5639951)
Congratulations from here in Chicago as well. I'm also tying the knot (with a similarly adult fiancee), in Mexico City in May.
   216. PreservedFish Posted: March 19, 2018 at 05:00 PM (#5639954)
Destination wedding, where's my invite?
   217. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: March 19, 2018 at 05:02 PM (#5639956)
Congratulations from here in Chicago as well. I'm also tying the knot (with a similarly adult finacee), in Mexico City in May.

That is fantastic! Congrats to you as well! I've never been to Mexico City but I studied Latin American History fairly extensively in school so one day I definitely want to go down there.

Funny story: I moved to Des Moines officially and for good on the night the Cubs won the WS. Listened to the large majority of the game in the car by myself.
   218. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: March 19, 2018 at 05:04 PM (#5639958)
Destination wedding, where's my invite?
Will you come bearing preserved fish?
   219. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: March 19, 2018 at 05:05 PM (#5639960)
Eh, you're a decent guy, you just vote for assh*les ;).
   220. PreservedFish Posted: March 19, 2018 at 05:10 PM (#5639964)
Will you come bearing preserved fish?

Caviar tacos anyone?
   221. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: March 19, 2018 at 05:21 PM (#5639971)
I was in the D.F. for the menu tasting last week - now there is an overindulgent event. Her whole family went, and we sampled, let's see...six hors d'ouevre bites, six cold appetizers (crudo, ceviche, tartare, etc.), two soups, four mains and six desserts. On a Monday afternoon. Suffice to say we will eat well. Mexicans take great pride in serving delicious, well-thought-out wedding food, as opposed to the overcooked chicken breast and limp green beans with carrots that you always get here.
   222. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: March 19, 2018 at 05:29 PM (#5639975)
I was in the D.F. for the menu tasting last week - now there is an overindulgent event. Her whole family went, and we sampled, let's see...six hors d'ouevre bites, six cold appetizers (crudo, ceviche, tartare, etc.), two soups, four mains and six desserts. On a Monday afternoon. Suffice to say we will eat well. Mexicans take great pride in serving delicious, well-thought-out wedding food, as opposed to the overcooked chicken breast and limp green beans with carrots that you always get here.

Jealous. I miss eating really good Mexican food in my old hood.
   223. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: March 19, 2018 at 05:37 PM (#5639979)
Where did you live when you were here?
   224. PreservedFish Posted: March 19, 2018 at 05:45 PM (#5639986)
My wedding had shitty food. Being a chef I decided that I either needed to take complete control or just shut the #### up and accept crappy food. The venue we chose only worked with like 4 catering companies, we chose one, the food sucked, people got drunk and had fun, and nobody remembers the food.
   225. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: March 19, 2018 at 05:51 PM (#5639990)
My wedding had shitty food. Being a chef I decided that I either needed to take complete control or just shut the #### up and accept crappy food. The venue we chose only worked with like 4 catering companies, we chose one, the food sucked, people got drunk and had fun, and nobody remembers the food.
This is approximately the same situation I find myself in, but with the music. I really care about two things at the wedding - food of course is one, and I'm not worried about that, but music is the other (I've played in bands and solo since I was a kid). Turns out, as I found out last week, the band we hired probably doesn't know any rock music. They've been a little cagey about it, and my fiancee is probably overly optimistic, but as far as I can tell they know mostly Latin music and a handful of disco songs.

So, I'm either going to just have to give up on having any substantial amount of rock music or, as you say, take complete control of at least part of the night. The guys in my band are all coming, as well as some other musician friends, so as of now I'm leaning toward the latter.
   226. PreservedFish Posted: March 19, 2018 at 07:01 PM (#5639993)
I think music is much more important than food at a wedding, honestly.
   227. Jay Z Posted: March 19, 2018 at 08:19 PM (#5640011)
I just wrote him a note for his time capsule to be opened up in 2033 and included, as a postscript, that hopefully the Mets will have won the World Series by now.

Again? Twice isn't enough?
   228. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: March 19, 2018 at 10:19 PM (#5640028)
I think music is much more important than food at a wedding, honestly.
You're not helping my stress level here.
   229. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: March 20, 2018 at 08:32 AM (#5640097)
Where did you live when you were here?

I lived in Albany Park by Kedzie and Lawrence.
   230. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: March 20, 2018 at 08:33 AM (#5640099)
Again? Twice isn't enough?

I was 7 in 1986 and was just becoming aware of baseball. So in my lifetime they've won once but it barely counts.
   231. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: March 20, 2018 at 08:41 AM (#5640101)
This is approximately the same situation I find myself in, but with the music. I really care about two things at the wedding - food of course is one, and I'm not worried about that, but music is the other (I've played in bands and solo since I was a kid). Turns out, as I found out last week, the band we hired probably doesn't know any rock music. They've been a little cagey about it, and my fiancee is probably overly optimistic, but as far as I can tell they know mostly Latin music and a handful of disco songs.

Couldn't agree more about music and food being priorities. The best weddings I've attended have always had great music and great food. I am a rock and roll fan myself, but honestly having an authentic Latin band would be pretty awesome too.

232. GGC Posted: March 20, 2018 at 09:37 AM (#5640127)
 212. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: March 19, 2018 at 04:48 PM (#5639943)

I resent that.

Do you follow Jeopardy! daily, snapper?

How did Alex know that Rahul would finish in second before the leader revealed her answer last night?
   233. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: March 20, 2018 at 10:53 AM (#5640195)
I lived in Albany Park by Kedzie and Lawrence.
I know that area well - yes, plenty of good Mexican food there. I'm a little east down Lawrence in Uptown.

I am a rock and roll fan myself, but honestly having an authentic Latin band would be pretty awesome too.
I'm all for having good Latin music, of course - although there are strict orders for no reggaeton or anything close to it - I just wanted a good mix of that and rock so that it wouldn't be "OK, here's an hour for the Mexicans, and then there will be an hour for the gringos." In a city of 25 million people, you'd think there would be one band that could do both. Actually, apparently there is exactly one, and that one charges like $40,000. But you'd think there would be at least two.
   234. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: March 20, 2018 at 11:22 AM (#5640225)
In a city of 25 million people, you'd think there would be one band that could do both. Actually, apparently there is exactly one, and that one charges like $40,000. But you'd think there would be at least two.

At that price you might as well try to book the Stones.
   235. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: March 20, 2018 at 11:24 AM (#5640226)
I'm a little east down Lawrence in Uptown

I played baseball in Uptown at those fields down by the beach. Lots of fun. Used to be a great pizza place called Gigio's but I believe it closed. Sad day.
   236. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: March 20, 2018 at 11:41 AM (#5640239)
I'm about 2 blocks from the Gigio's, which as far as I know is still open (to the Google machine...yes, appears to be). They've been doing a lot of construction on the el tracks there, so maybe it closed temporarily.

At that price you might as well try to book the Stones.
Yeah, but that would be the reverse problem - can they play any Latin music other than (arguably) the solo in "Can't You Hear Me Knocking"?
   237. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: March 20, 2018 at 11:58 AM (#5640254)
Yeah, but that would be the reverse problem - can they play any Latin music other than (arguably) the solo in "Can't You Hear Me Knocking"?

HA. Fair point indeed. Chicago is a great place. I never had a burning desire to live in a big city but Chicago changed my mind and I would definitely be open to it again in the future.
   238. PreservedFish Posted: March 20, 2018 at 12:46 PM (#5640288)
I think I would go with a mariachi band during dinner and DJ for dancing.
   239. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: March 20, 2018 at 12:52 PM (#5640294)
We are indeed having mariachis during dinner, but ain't no way a DJ is coming anywhere near my wedding. Matter of principle. Those bastards have already destroyed enough of what is good and decent in this world.
   240. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: March 20, 2018 at 12:58 PM (#5640301)
We are indeed having mariachis during dinner, but ain't no way a DJ is coming anywhere near my wedding. Matter of principle. Those bastards have already destroyed enough of what is good and decent in this world.

*gets popcorn out and waits for PF's response*
   241. PreservedFish Posted: March 20, 2018 at 01:16 PM (#5640318)
Oh that opinion doesn’t bother me, but I do think it’s silly. While nothing beats good live music, a mediocre wedding band is a real drag. A wedding is a party for the guests, not for the couple, and lots of people would just be happier listening to Michael Jackson and Van Morrison and Stevie Wonder and Taylor Swift songs than some unknown third rate rock band of accountants and mailmen interpreting “Brown Eyed Girl.”
   242. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: March 20, 2018 at 01:22 PM (#5640325)
Well, the goal is to avoid terrible and/or cheesy stuff entirely, so there will be no Taylor Swift and no Brown-Eyed Girl, live or otherwise. The Latin band can do "Rock With You," so we got that one covered, and we do "Superstition." I'm hoping the Latin band's horn section can sit in with us on that one - if we pull that off it would make this whole thing worthwhile. But no awful pop crap, no cheesy wedding "greatest hits." I'm trying to bring at least some sense of musical decency and integrity to a wedding...I acknowledge that this means there may be some work in setting expectations with people.
   243. Dr. Vaux Posted: March 20, 2018 at 01:28 PM (#5640333)
We brought musical decency to our wedding by not having any. The guests were very pleased, as were we. Nobody was annoyed by crappy music, and we could all hear our conversations. (Disclaimer: we're both professional musicians, and so were a number of the guests.)
   244. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: March 20, 2018 at 01:30 PM (#5640335)
I think most people prefer good live music to a DJ but there is also variance in the world of DJ's. We are having a DJ because we are trying to stick to a fairly reasonable budget (trying the operative word) but we have a bunch of songs we want her to play. Ideally we would prefer a live band but unfortunately (I say this as a musician) live music is usually the first thing that gets cut when you are planning a cheapish wedding. I am confident that our DJ will be good and that everyone will have a good time.
   245. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: March 20, 2018 at 01:32 PM (#5640338)
I'm trying to bring at least some sense of musical decency and integrity to a wedding...I acknowledge that this means there may be some work in setting expectations with people.

I admire you for this. What do you play?
   246. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: March 20, 2018 at 01:43 PM (#5640348)
Ideally we would prefer a live band but unfortunately (I say this as a musician) live music is usually the first thing that gets cut when you are planning a cheapish wedding.
Ain't that the truth. Wedding bands are just outrageously expensive. I play in bands. I know what bands usually charge. Wedding bands jack up the price by orders of magnitude. I mean, if I could stand the kind of music they have to play, I would quit this lawyer thing and join a wedding band.

I play guitar and bass, a little bit of piano here and there, as well as vocals. You?

Vaux, you didn't even have classical musicians for the ceremony or anything?
   247. PreservedFish Posted: March 20, 2018 at 01:52 PM (#5640355)
BRipFace... my advice is to have as few responsibilities as possible. So easy to get overwhelmed at your own wedding. Play a song or two with your mates but have them set it up so you just step on stage for 10 minutes and don’t otherwise have to lift a finger.
   248. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: March 20, 2018 at 01:56 PM (#5640359)

I play guitar and bass, a little bit of piano here and there, as well as vocals. You?

The same. Mostly guitar and bass. I have owned a bunch of keyboards and know my way around them but would not call myself a piano player. Also would call myself more of a tune carrier than a singer.
   249. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: March 20, 2018 at 01:56 PM (#5640361)
BRipFace... my advice is to have as few responsibilities as possible. So easy to get overwhelmed at your own wedding. Play a song or two with your mates but have them set it up so you just step on stage for 10 minutes and don’t otherwise have to lift a finger.
Ugh. That was exactly the plan to begin with, for that exact reason. But then the issue with the band not knowing any rock music came up. Keep in mind that Mexican weddings are extraordinarily long, and the band is contracted for, I think, six hours. I just don't want a six-hour Latin disco for my wedding, y'know?
   250. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: March 20, 2018 at 01:59 PM (#5640364)
By the way, if anyone wants to go back to talking about minor league pace-of-play rules, please do - I never intended a "my wedding issues" thread hijack.
   251. PreservedFish Posted: March 20, 2018 at 02:01 PM (#5640369)
Then have a rock wedding party back at home for the friends that didn’t spring for the DF wedding? Sounds like you signed up for a Mexican wedding and you’ should just enjoy your Mexican wedding.
   252. GGC Posted: March 20, 2018 at 02:09 PM (#5640382)
250. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: March 20, 2018 at 01:59 PM (#5640364)
By the way, if anyone wants to go back to talking about minor league pace-of-play rules, please do - I never intended a "my wedding issues" thread hijack.

I just think that it's sad that no one cares who wins a minor league game. Thanks, Branch Rickey! Maybe two birds could be killed with one stone if the teams get shares for winning titles. The players get more money and there's more at stake.
   253. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: March 20, 2018 at 02:27 PM (#5640404)
I just think that it's sad that no one cares who wins a minor league game.

I think that the fans care.
   254. PreservedFish Posted: March 20, 2018 at 02:33 PM (#5640409)
I went to a karaoke wedding once before. Apparently having white skin makes one glamorous enoughin rural Thailand that you might get invited to a stranger’s wedding.
   255. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: March 20, 2018 at 02:43 PM (#5640413)
I went to a karaoke wedding once before. Apparently having white skin makes one glamorous enoughin rural Thailand that you might get invited to a stranger’s wedding.

This sounds like it would be a fascinating story
   256. PreservedFish Posted: March 20, 2018 at 02:54 PM (#5640426)
No, that’s the entire story. I just watched Thai grandmas singing Thai karaoke for a couple hours. Lame wedding. I hope my alabaster skin brought some prestige to their photo album.
   257. jmurph Posted: March 20, 2018 at 02:58 PM (#5640431)
Wedding music is mostly very easy, and it goes roughly in this order:

Motown
Pop Prince
The better (but not best) dance hits of your youth/college years (ideally this is 80s/90s music, but mileage varies)
MJ
Sexy Prince
The best dance hits of your youth/college years
Filthy Prince (If It's That Kind of Wedding)
The sing alongs (not necessarily dance songs, Don't Stop Believin' fits here, for instance. Basically people just want to drunkenly belt out songs they love.)
   258. jmurph Posted: March 20, 2018 at 03:00 PM (#5640433)
Oh and showing off your taste in music/hipness is totally fine during dinner/the cocktail hour. Encouraged, even. But not during the dancing period, with the exception of the dance hits of your youth/college years sections, you're also allowed to slip in LCD Soundsytem's dancier tracks.

This is all basically science, as far as I'm concerned. I have solved it and you're all very welcome.
   259. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: March 20, 2018 at 03:05 PM (#5640439)
LCD Soundsytem's dancier tracks

Get Innocuous!
   260. GGC Posted: March 20, 2018 at 03:12 PM (#5640447)
From what the Ex has seen (in post #9,) 75% of attendees at minor league games are there for group or family outings and don't really care who wins the game. And they won't be around for the end of the game if it goes 15 innings.
   261. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: March 20, 2018 at 03:20 PM (#5640453)
From what the Ex has seen (in post #9,) 75% of attendees at minor league games are there for group or family outings and don't really care who wins the game. And they won't be around for the end of the game if it goes 15 innings.

Fair enough I guess. I stand corrected
   262. Dr. Vaux Posted: March 20, 2018 at 03:45 PM (#5640472)
For the ceremony, we had a string quartet. I wrote the music. But for the reception, we decided rather easily not to have music. Actually, we agreed on basically everything, which really reduced the amount of stress of the whole thing.
   263. GGC Posted: March 20, 2018 at 03:47 PM (#5640474)
That's one fan's impression, but it is widespread. I haven't been to a minor league game in a few years but my impression is slightly different. I guess about half the fans were into the game (and even knew a little info on some of the non-prospects) and the others were mainly on a family outing.

Lounger bads85 would know more. He goes to a lot of Inland Empire games. But I don't think he Mainlands anymore.
   264. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: March 20, 2018 at 03:50 PM (#5640479)
Yeah I'm just going on the interest here in the Iowa Cubs which seems to be greater than the collective interest in any MLB team.
   265. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: March 20, 2018 at 03:53 PM (#5640482)
For the ceremony, we had a string quartet. I wrote the music.
Wow, nicely done. Tip of the cap to you.
   266. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: March 20, 2018 at 03:53 PM (#5640483)
I just watched Thai grandmas singing Thai karaoke for a couple hours.

That seems like the perfect situation in which to go up on stage and bust out something like "Welcome to the Jungle".
   267. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: March 20, 2018 at 03:55 PM (#5640485)
But for the reception, we decided rather easily not to have music.
I would absolutely love to see the look on the hundreds of my fiancee's family and friends if I were to announce after dinner, "OK, there will be no music or dancing for the rest of the evening, but please feel free to enjoy conversations at a reasonable volume level for the next eight hours!" That would be fantastic.
   268. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: March 20, 2018 at 03:56 PM (#5640489)

I go to a lot of minor league games -- especially the independent minors -- and that's pretty accurate. Tons of group outings -- Boy Scouts, PTA, company outings, birthdays, etc. I mean, yeah, people mostly watch the game and cheer for the home team -- but if they lose, it's pretty much a shrug. If they win, it's pretty much a shrug. People are there for the experience, not for the pennant race.
   269. Pat Rapper's Delight (as quoted on MLB Network) Posted: March 20, 2018 at 04:29 PM (#5640519)
I got married two years ago and -- as a musician myself -- insisted on a live band. Local guests and the reception planner said -- sadly -- that DJ's are the standard so a live band with horns was quite unusual. A fellow trumpet player friend of mine actually had to cobble a wedding band together from friends of his in two or three other bands and they played from the standard fare listed in [257]. My only request was NO MUSTANG SALLY. The guests had a great time and when I see people who were there, they STILL say what a great time they had and how good the band was.

I took good care of the band too by making sure they had their own table for the reception so they could eat off the buffet. No cold sandwich / bag of chips / bottle of water for them.

For the ceremony, we had a string quartet. I wrote the music.

For the last several years, I've toured with a well-known vocal group when they're in my part of the country. I arranged one of their hit ballads for our first dance. The lyrics fit our situation well and it had the benefit of her having seen me perform it in concert.
   270. BDC Posted: March 20, 2018 at 04:49 PM (#5640549)
75% of attendees at minor league games are there for group or family outings and don't really care

I told a class of mine, years ago, that nobody cared who won minor-league games. A student had family in baseball and raked me over the coals. "Those guys are out there bearing down on every play." The student even apparently told some relative who was a minor-league manager about my comment, and conveyed back a pretty intemperate response. I don't think they actually threatened to stab me in the neck, but it was close.

Of course I didn't mean that the players don't care; they have a lot of incentive to care. So I had to walk it back and say "aside from the guys actually playing and coaching," which still leaves a pretty high percentage of those in attendance indifferent. Most especially, of course, the parent club's management doesn't give three hoots in hell who wins minor-league games or pennants.
   271. PreservedFish Posted: March 20, 2018 at 04:58 PM (#5640555)
I actually read a novel on this very subject - a guitarist planning the music for his wedding. Tom Perrotta’s “The Wishbones.”
   272. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: March 20, 2018 at 05:11 PM (#5640566)
I got married two years ago and -- as a musician myself -- insisted on a live band. Local guests and the reception planner said -- sadly -- that DJ's are the standard so a live band with horns was quite unusual. A fellow trumpet player friend of mine actually had to cobble a wedding band together from friends of his in two or three other bands and they played from the standard fare listed in [257]. My only request was NO MUSTANG SALLY. The guests had a great time and when I see people who were there, they STILL say what a great time they had and how good the band was.

So...how much would they charge to go to Mexico City?
   273. Pat Rapper's Delight (as quoted on MLB Network) Posted: March 20, 2018 at 05:29 PM (#5640581)
So...how much would they charge to go to Mexico City?

Probably not much. Bands that good in Dallas want upwards of 3x what they charged me in not-so-large-town Louisiana... hence the generous tip I gave them.
Page 3 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Marc Sully's not booin'. He's Youkin'.
for his generous support.