Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, January 17, 2013

MLB Colour Commentator Announcer - Sportsnet Radio The FAN 590 (Toronto)-

If you are a veteran broadcaster and former MLB player who loves the game, talking about it on air, on television and in social media, Sportsnet Radio The FAN 590, home of Toronto Blue Jays baseball in in Toronto has a rare employment opportunity. The perfect candidate will be compelling, entertaining, engaging, witty, thought-provoking, insightful, opinionated, and must know and love everything about baseball. And that’s just for starters. We want a person or team that want to win. We want leaders. We want people with passion.

Responsibilities:

Colour commentary for spring training and all regular season and play-off Toronto Blue Jays games. Commitment - Feb - October. 
  Participate in Blue Jays radio/television conversations/interviews as requested.
  Participate in Baseball Central @ Noon program. 
  Write articles for digital twice per week.
  Aggressively use and react with social media. You must have a twitter account and use it.
  Web based fan chats once per month.
  Additional duties relating to the Baseball brand as requested.
  Must be able to travel.

Qualifications

Must have a minimum 4 years in pro or semi-pro baseball experience.
  Must have a minimum of 4 years broadcast experience in radio/television or combination.
  History with the Toronto Blue Jays an asset. 
  Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
  Must have proven ability to work both independently and as a team player with minimal supervision.
  Must be able to follow direction of management.
  Must be able to sufficiently prepare for each game and deliver a fresh product to the listeners each day.
  Ability to work in a fast paced environment as a team player.
  Able to communicate to 25-54 male demographic.
  Excellent sports knowledge - particularly baseball.
  Able to execute the sports entertainment format.

Paul D(uda) Posted: January 17, 2013 at 09:16 AM | 27 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: announcers, blue jays

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. asinwreck Posted: January 17, 2013 at 02:58 PM (#4349237)
Mark Grace is available.
   2. charityslave is thinking about baseball Posted: January 17, 2013 at 03:10 PM (#4349246)
I would listen, if they called. Then I would politely explain that they mis-dialed.
   3. Matthew E Posted: January 17, 2013 at 03:20 PM (#4349260)
My theory is that the existence of this ad, with the specifics the way they are, is proof that they've already settled on Dirk Hayhurst and are now going through the formalities, one of which is a purely ritualistic publication of the job ad to all the other ex-Jays out there with broadcast experience, writing experience, and an active Twitter account.
   4. Jim Wisinski Posted: January 17, 2013 at 03:22 PM (#4349264)
They spelled color wrong.
   5. fra paolo Posted: January 17, 2013 at 03:37 PM (#4349274)

They are going to stop communicating to me soon? Good thing I'm not a Jays' fan.
   6. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: January 17, 2013 at 03:42 PM (#4349278)
I wonder if I'm less qualified for this job or Head Football Coach. Probably the football one.
   7. Mike Emeigh Posted: January 17, 2013 at 04:04 PM (#4349289)

They are going to stop communicating to me soon?

They've already stopped communicating with me. Join the club!

-- MWE
   8. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: January 17, 2013 at 04:13 PM (#4349302)
To be fair, Mike, they stopped communicating because you kept yelling for them to get off your lawn
   9. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: January 17, 2013 at 04:19 PM (#4349311)
Are you paid a salary or are you paid per quip?
   10. Ron J2 Posted: January 17, 2013 at 05:25 PM (#4349382)
#9 Digital tip jar.
   11. jack the seal clubber (on the sidelines of life) Posted: January 17, 2013 at 05:26 PM (#4349383)
It is uncivilised to complain about their spelling of colour. This is all a grey area, eh.

translation: Tattoos optional, not mandatory.
   12. Bruce Markusen Posted: January 17, 2013 at 10:21 PM (#4349567)
"Excellent sports knowledge--particularly baseball." Why would having knowledge of other sports matter? Does the color man have to go into an in-game dissertation or soliloquy about the NBA, or perhaps the CFL?

I would think baseball knowledge would be such an obvious requirement that it wouldn't need to be stated.
   13. jobu Posted: January 17, 2013 at 10:31 PM (#4349570)
Does the color man have to go into an in-game dissertation or soliloquy about the NBA, or perhaps the CFL?

It's Canada, eh. The color man needs to be able to use hockey lingo to appeal to the 25-54 year-old Canadian male. "That curve went right through the five-hole, don't you know."
   14. base ball chick Posted: January 17, 2013 at 10:57 PM (#4349585)
7. Mike Emeigh Posted: January 17, 2013 at 04:04 PM (#4349289)

-- MWE

they haven't NEVAH started communicating with me
   15. Robert in Manhattan Beach Posted: January 17, 2013 at 11:10 PM (#4349592)
#12 -

"Man, all the new color guy does is talk about cricket and Australian Rules Football. To be fair, I have learned a lot about cricket but last night when he said that the Jays were looking to break their four test losing streak it was a bit awkward. And his twitter feed is nothing but links to Kevin Bartlett highlights. I can see why he only ended up with four years of pro or semi-pro baseball experience. His heart was obviously somewhere else."
   16. Matthew E Posted: January 17, 2013 at 11:36 PM (#4349607)
"Excellent sports knowledge--particularly baseball." Why would having knowledge of other sports matter? Does the color man have to go into an in-game dissertation or soliloquy about the NBA, or perhaps the CFL?
In-game, no, but if the station needs him to fill in for somebody else, or be a panelist on Prime Time Sports, or something, he should be able to hold his own in the conversation.
   17. steagles Posted: January 18, 2013 at 12:17 AM (#4349619)
i'm gonna hijack this thread a bit and talk about some of the recent TV premieres:

shameless: good
justified: good
legit: good.
archer: good, though a little disappointing due to the fact that i've never watched bob's burgers. i got the setup and all, but one of the reasons archer is my favorite show is because it felt tailored to my background and personality and this was really the first time where it wasn't.

doctor who: it aired a couple weeks ago, but it was also good.
fringe: the series finale is this friday and i don't really have high hopes for it. that's actually a good thing because it removes the possibility of spoiling the entire series with a nonsensical ending. i'm disappointed in the season as a whole because they've narrowed the focus of it way too much onto the fringe team itself and as a result they've done a terrible job of building the universe, which is really disappointing because their ability to fully flesh out an entire universe was what made the first 4 years as great as they were.

did anyone watch banshee? it's on my radar, but i don't really know that i want to watch it from the start, since i tend to prefer marathoning the first season or so of a new series before deciding whether to watch it.
   18. Robert in Manhattan Beach Posted: January 18, 2013 at 01:01 AM (#4349640)
I didn't think much of Banshee. Although I don't really watch TV, haven't seen any of the other shows you mentioned, and really was only kind of half watching because I was cooking dinner. So thumbs down. You're welcome.
   19. Random Transaction Generator Posted: January 18, 2013 at 01:19 AM (#4349643)

What does that even mean?!
   20. steagles Posted: January 18, 2013 at 01:22 AM (#4349645)
sounds like it means dale torborg has the inside track.
   21. Random Transaction Generator Posted: January 18, 2013 at 01:29 AM (#4349647)
My theory is that the existence of this ad, with the specifics the way they are, is proof that they've already settled on Dirk Hayhurst and are now going through the formalities, one of which is a purely ritualistic publication of the job ad to all the other ex-Jays out there with broadcast experience, writing experience, and an active Twitter account.

It's probably a legal requirement, since Hayhurst isn't Canadian, and they have to show proof that they at least attempted to fill the position with a Canadian citizen first.

I don't see too many choices from these two lists (1, 2) that could fill the position, so Hayhurst is probably safe.
   22. Matthew E Posted: January 18, 2013 at 08:28 AM (#4349687)
Exactly.
   23. asinwreck Posted: January 18, 2013 at 10:20 AM (#4349726)

Skip Bayless marked for death.
   24. JJ1986 Posted: January 18, 2013 at 10:32 AM (#4349739)
I don't see too many choices from these two lists (1, 2) that could fill the position, so Hayhurst is probably safe.

I've never heard him announce, but I think it would be cool to put Matt Stairs in a booth.
   25. Rants Mulliniks Posted: January 18, 2013 at 01:54 PM (#4349960)
I would think baseball knowledge would be such an obvious requirement that it wouldn't need to be stated.

You're forgetting that an HR dept. wrote this, and as we all know, HR is the most bureaucratic, technocratic, redundant, inefficient entity on earth. A void of common sense if there ever was one.
   26. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: January 18, 2013 at 01:58 PM (#4349966)
archer: good, though a little disappointing

WAS THAT NOT EPIC?
   27. steagles Posted: January 18, 2013 at 11:31 PM (#4350415)
fringe: the series finale is this friday and i don't really have high hopes for it. that's actually a good thing because it removes the possibility of spoiling the entire series with a nonsensical ending. i'm disappointed in the season as a whole because they've narrowed the focus of it way too much onto the fringe team itself and as a result they've done a terrible job of building the universe, which is really disappointing because their ability to fully flesh out an entire universe was what made the first 4 years as great as they were.
yeah, i'd say the finale was just about as good as it could have been. you got to see the other side one last time, which was one of the lingering questions, and you also had some nice call-backs to previous fringe cases.

and unlike the finale of BSG, there wasn't some sappy 90-minute long ending where you saw that every single character lived happily ever after. personally, i thought it would have better if the show cut off when peter looked back at olivia in the park (basically at the moment that the observers originally invaded) as kind of an inception thing (did cobb get out or was he stuck in a dream? do peter and olivia live happily ever after, or does the invasion occur anyway?), but that's only a minor quibble, and it probably would have annoyed a lot more people than was necessary.

overall, i'd still call this season a disappointment.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
JPWF13
for his generous support.