Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, June 04, 2013

MLB Draft OMNICHATTER

First round draft order:

1. Houston Astros
2. Chicago Cubs
3. Colorado Rockies
4. Minnesota Twins
5. Cleveland Indians
6. Miami Marlins
7. Boston Red Sox
8. Kansas City Royals
9. Pittsburgh Pirates (compensation for failing to sign Mark Appel)
10. Toronto Blue Jays
11. New York Mets
12. Seattle Mariners
13. San Diego Padres
14. Pittsburgh Pirates
15. Arizona Diamondbacks
16. Philadelphia Phillies
17. Chicago White Sox
18. Los Angeles Dodgers
19. St. Louis Cardinals
20. Detroit Tigers
21. Tampa Bay Rays
22. Baltimore Orioles
23. Texas Rangers
24. Oakland Athletics
25. San Francisco Giants
26. New York Yankees
27. Cincinnati Reds
28. St. Louis Cardinals (compensation for Brewers’ signing of Kyle Lohse)
29. Tampa Bay Rays (compensation for Braves’ signing of B. J. Upton)
30. Texas Rangers (compensation for Angels’ signing of Josh Hamilton)
31. Atlanta Braves (compensation for Indians’ signing of Michael Bourn)
32. New York Yankees (compensation for Indians’ signing of Nick Swisher)
33. New York Yankees (compensation for Nationals’ signing of Rafael Soriano)

The Brewers (17th), Angels (22nd), Braves (28th), and Nationals (29th) all forfeited their original first round picks as a result of their free agent signings. The Indians’ first-round pick at #5 was protected, so they forfeited their competitive-balance pick and their second-round pick.

Mike Emeigh Posted: June 04, 2013 at 03:27 PM | 280 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: college, draft, high school, minor leagues, prospects

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 3 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3
   201. LionoftheSenate (Brewers v A's World Series) Posted: June 06, 2013 at 10:51 PM (#4463063)
I'm going to say it so it is on record and you can google it in a few years... Clint Frazier's bat speed is the best hitting tool I saw in this draft and he's only in HS. He was a good pick. Meadows I see is mentioned with Frazier. Meadows swing actually looks like Luis Gonzalez right now, which I'm sure is a good sign. But I don't think there is any comparison with the bat speed of Frazier. I actually like Jonathan Crawford as much as any other SP in the draft. Even if it appears Crawford does some weird stuff with his hand at the back of his delivery.
   202. Mattbert Posted: June 06, 2013 at 10:53 PM (#4463066)
I really like Thurman for the Astros here. Another guy who should make it the majors quickly like Appel.
   203. Mattbert Posted: June 06, 2013 at 10:56 PM (#4463070)
Hoping for Cord Sandberg to the Sox at #45.
   204. LionoftheSenate (Brewers v A's World Series) Posted: June 06, 2013 at 10:58 PM (#4463072)
What is the consensus on the concept of the "competitive balance draft round"?? I haven't thought it through yet, is this BS, will it be gamed? I really don't even know how this is determined? I see the spendy Tigers are in it.
   205. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: June 06, 2013 at 10:58 PM (#4463073)

The things that scared people off of Stanek are just what the screen says, 79 strikeouts in 97 IP. Was the same case with JP Crawford.

What scared me off Stanek was the late arm that I think will lead to major shoulder problems if it's not fixed.

41 walks is also pretty alarming for a supposedly elite pitcher.

I like the Royals strategy and I think if a team like the Blue Jays had done it, people would be praising them. I get that Dayton doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt, but that doesn't make the strategy stupid either. I like Manaea quite a bit and if a guy has injury concerns, having them be not of the arm variety is about as good as it gets.

Has anyone seen a HS player like Clint Frazier? Any comps? He is pretty unusual, small, but has this pretty amazing bat speed.

Someone asked why I didn't like Frazier and its because he reminds me a wee bit of Jeff Francoeur. Frenchy is obviously taller, but he's not a big strapping guy either, he depends on a lot of his power through strong wrists and great bat speed. And we've seen what happens when that bat speed quickly goes. Frazier is "aggressive" at the plate and struggles with good off speed stuff. So he's like a shorter Francoeur to me, and I just don't see how a guy like that has any kind of success.
   206. Mattbert Posted: June 06, 2013 at 11:04 PM (#4463082)
Hoping for Cord Sandberg to the Sox at #45.

Stankiewicz works too. Sweet. Stankiewicz was one my pitching favs post-1st round, I just thought he had a better chance than Sandberg of sliding to the 3rd round.
   207. LionoftheSenate (Brewers v A's World Series) Posted: June 06, 2013 at 11:06 PM (#4463087)
Re Frazier: You make a good case to the risk on Frazier. I'm sitting here using seconds of video and can't get a feel for how he handles breaking pitches or hitting behind in the count. Huge factors obviously. I'm no tools worshiper, but I do really like the bat speed. I thought the video made Manaea appear to be a top 5 pitcher. Some really good things I saw with fewer bad things compared to many others taken higher.

The Twins 2nd rd pick from LSU obviously hits the breaks on his curve ball, stressing the shoulder....no surprise he had labrum surgery already. It does appear his arm action is fine on the FB, so if they can fix his follow through on the breaking pitch, they might have something, best of luck though. If one team values teaching and molding it is the Twins.
   208. bigboy1234 Posted: June 06, 2013 at 11:10 PM (#4463095)
Poor Austin Wilson, another Safeco casualty. Also lawl at Gammons saying he has a 4% BF%, that is on-stage level for bodybuilders and about as low as you can go while still being alive. You wouldn't even want to be that low of a BF% as an athlete, you would perform better at like 12%, maybe that is why he didn't perform quite up to expectations at Stanford...
   209. LionoftheSenate (Brewers v A's World Series) Posted: June 06, 2013 at 11:11 PM (#4463097)
Okay Mets, I like your Andrew Church pick. Looks like a pro pitcher, not including the pedestrian body and average athleticism.
   210. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: June 06, 2013 at 11:18 PM (#4463106)
I like Wilson, and I wonder now if he just returns to school and tries to re-establish his value? Does Seattle have room to play with an over slot offer? Wilson turned down $3 mill out of HS.

His parents are both Harvard MBAs so maybe he doesn't need millions that badly and he just wants to get his career started.

I like Manaea quite a bit and if a guy has injury concerns, having them be not of the arm variety is about as good as it gets.

So apparently he had shoulder issues too which is a bit worrisome. But if he was healthy, he wouldn't have been available at #34. Risk worth taking IMO.
   211. bigboy1234 Posted: June 06, 2013 at 11:25 PM (#4463117)
Love the pitching in snow clip for Windle. Also love how they compare him to Lilly and say he is a hard-thrower.
   212. bigboy1234 Posted: June 06, 2013 at 11:26 PM (#4463120)
Don't think Mercado can hit at all.
   213. Gamingboy Posted: June 06, 2013 at 11:28 PM (#4463129)
David Eckstein is the grittiest announcer of a pick.
   214. billyshears Posted: June 06, 2013 at 11:30 PM (#4463133)
Someone asked why I didn't like Frazier and its because he reminds me a wee bit of Jeff Francoeur. Frenchy is obviously taller, but he's not a big strapping guy either, he depends on a lot of his power through strong wrists and great bat speed. And we've seen what happens when that bat speed quickly goes. Frazier is "aggressive" at the plate and struggles with good off speed stuff. So he's like a shorter Francoeur to me, and I just don't see how a guy like that has any kind of success.

I just don't see this at all. For one, Francoeur always seemed like a pretty big dude to me - not the type who had to sell out for power. On the contrary, I always got the sense that Francoeur would often shorten his swing and sacrifice power for contact. If the comparison is just athletic guys who lack great pitch recognition skills, there are tons of guys who fit the bill. But just from a body type/athleticism point of view, the comparison that comes to my mind is David Wright. Now, I grant that a David Wright with weaker pitch recognition/plate discipline who has to play LF may not be much of a player.
   215. STEAGLES is all out of bubblegum Posted: June 06, 2013 at 11:31 PM (#4463135)
he depends on a lot of his power through strong wrists and great bat speed
kinda sounds like dustin pedroia.

the phillies took some college catcher in the 2nd round.
he apparently hit really well in cape cod last summer, but didn't do much of anything with the bat prior to that.

at least he's not a pitcher. i'm okay with it.
   216. bigboy1234 Posted: June 06, 2013 at 11:33 PM (#4463146)
Now that is a Ranger pick, Akeem is pure tools/projection.
   217. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: June 07, 2013 at 09:49 AM (#4463296)
Aside from Dozier, who else was drafted to get paid underslot?
   218. Mike Emeigh Posted: June 07, 2013 at 10:22 AM (#4463322)
OK, given the way the picks went I'd have shadowed Rowdy Tellez for the Pirates at #51. Lefty power bat, limited to 1B but huge power potential, something I think the Pirates desperately need. The main thing that concerns me about him right now is that he's already big (6'5" 250 is his listed size but he looks at least 25 pounds bigger than that) and slow, but no one questions his work ethic and desire, which is a good thing. He reminds me a little of David Ortiz, although not enough to make me think that's a good comp.

I really like the Yankees' first round. Jagielo, Judge, and Clarkin are all solid drafts, all could have gone higher than they did. Katoh, not so much in the second; not sure he's going to hit with enough authority and he doesn't have the arm for SS so he's limited to 2B or LF. Saw an Ichiro comp out there, and Katoh was quoted as saying he began switch-hitting after seeing Ichiro play and then as he got stronger went to a pure lefty swing.

I think the Reds also did well. Erwin could have gone higher. Lorenzen's one of those guys who I think is underrated because he was used as a two-way player in college and some scouts like him better one way, some the other. Kevin Franklin, if he can stay on 3B, is a potential steal late in the second - the power's there, he's not overly big yet (although that may be coming, which is why there are also the concerns about staying on 3B) and he really works hard on his game.

The Giants baffle me a little bit. From everything I've read Arroyo and Jones are reaches; both have issues with the bat, and Arroyo's not likely to stay on SS. But this is the Giants, and they do things a little differently, so I guess we will see.

-- MWE
   219. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: June 07, 2013 at 10:55 AM (#4463348)
My Royals mock through two rounds:

#8 - OF Austin Meadows - had him as BPA just over Peterson. 5 tool player, doesn't excel in any one area, but is projectable. Kinda see a bit of Johnny Damon in him.
#34 - LHP Sean Manaea - it depends on what he's looking for as a bonus. If I take Meadows, I may not be able to afford Manaea at #34. Austin Wilson is also an option here, although he may have a high price tag as well. If I have to go closer to slot, I'll take Irvine P Andrew Thurman.
#46 - LHP Hunter Green - tall, projectable lefty with a nice leg kick and fluid delivery.

I'll echo Mike, I think the Yanks have blown their last couple of drafts, but they had some really nice picks this year. I think Clarkin has a chance to be really special and I like Katoh a bit more than he does.

I think the Mariners did really well getting two power hitters who could be elite - DJ Peterson and Austin Wilson.

I like the pair of college pitchers the D-Backs picked up - Braden Shipley (who I thought would go in the first 8 picks for sure) and Aaron Blair (nabbed for Adderal but who cares). Justin Williams has good size and is really young so there's a lot to project there, but that's a decent gamble.

I like Meadows and Taylor a lot for the Pirates. Not so much on McGuire.

Don't really get the White Sox draft. I'm not super impressed with Tim Anderson's bat, and he probably can't stick at shortstop. I like unorthodox deliveries like Tyler Danishb, but its hard to see how he can cut it as a starter like that.
   220. Mike Emeigh Posted: June 07, 2013 at 11:12 AM (#4463363)
Aside from Dozier, who else was drafted to get paid underslot?

No one that I can see. The only other guy who's a real reach in the first is Arroyo and I think that's the Giants seeing something that almost no one else does. Chris Anderson and Marco Gonzales, maybe - but they do fit the approach of the organizations that drafted them, so my guess is probably not.

-- MWE
   221. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: June 07, 2013 at 11:25 AM (#4463376)
So there isn't really anyone with the flexibility to pay overslot for like Jon Denney?
   222. Mike Emeigh Posted: June 07, 2013 at 11:34 AM (#4463387)
I'm guessing at this point that the Royals had a good idea they could get Manaea at #34 when they took Dozier, aren't as concerned about the injuries as some other teams, and did this to maximize the combined value of both picks. For me, a guy who has unspecified shoulder issues is a guy that I wouldn't touch, period, no matter what the upside.

As a general rule, unless I've got a potential shutdown starter on the board, I don't like the idea of drafting pitchers in the first round. The risk/reward balance is too heavy toward risk in most cases.

-- MWE
   223. Mike Emeigh Posted: June 07, 2013 at 11:46 AM (#4463409)
Don't think Mercado can hit at all.

Curious as to why you think this. He needs to get stronger, I'll agree, but his approach is sound and he doesn't take too many bad swings that I can see. I think eventually he'll drive the ball with enough authority so that pitchers won't just challenge him and knock the bat out of his hands.

-- MWE
   224. Mess with the Meat, you get the Wad! Posted: June 07, 2013 at 11:50 AM (#4463416)
Mike, was Bryant the better pock for the cubs instead of going for pitching like they need?
   225. Mike Emeigh Posted: June 07, 2013 at 12:03 PM (#4463435)
Mike, was Bryant the better pick for the cubs instead of going for pitching like they need?

I think so. Bryant was IMO the only hitter in the draft with superstar potential, and I'm not enamored of Gray; yes, I know what everyone else is saying, but my gut feeling is that he's more likely to turn into Kris Benson than he is an ace starter.

-- MWE
   226. Mess with the Meat, you get the Wad! Posted: June 07, 2013 at 12:12 PM (#4463449)
I didnt like Gray because of rhe addy test, but felt they need to add top flight pitching. The second selection looks interestinf aefty who hits the mid 90s with 4 pitches. Just like with Gray I wish he would have missed more bats but I feel better kdnowing he isnt getting the huge slot money
   227. Mike Emeigh Posted: June 07, 2013 at 01:09 PM (#4463510)
Here we go - Kent Emanuel starts day 3 for the Astros.

-- MWE
   228. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: June 07, 2013 at 01:10 PM (#4463511)
I'm with you, Mike, on the Yankees, Reds, and Giants.
   229. Mike Emeigh Posted: June 07, 2013 at 01:13 PM (#4463514)
Mets take Ivan Wilson, HS CF from Louisiana. He's your basic toolsy raw outfielder.

-- MWE

EDIT: Two-sport star in HS, hasn't fully focused on baseball.
   230. Mike Emeigh Posted: June 07, 2013 at 01:16 PM (#4463517)
Louisville P Dace Kime to the Indians. Good pick there I think.

-- MWE
   231. Mike Emeigh Posted: June 07, 2013 at 01:18 PM (#4463519)
If Ryan Boldt is available when the Pirates pick, he's my shadow choice.

Jon Denney to the Red Sox.

-- MWE
   232. JJ1986 Posted: June 07, 2013 at 01:18 PM (#4463520)
Red Sox pop Jon Denney.

coke to Mike.
   233. Mike Emeigh Posted: June 07, 2013 at 01:20 PM (#4463525)
Carter Hope to the Royals, HS RHP out of Texas.

-- MWE
   234. Mike Emeigh Posted: June 07, 2013 at 01:23 PM (#4463530)
Mets take Casey Meisner with their second third-rounder. Texas HS RHP, pretty good choice.

-- MWE
   235. JJ1986 Posted: June 07, 2013 at 01:23 PM (#4463531)
Jim Duquette praises the Mets pick. He must be worth at least .5 Victor Zambranos.
   236. Mike Emeigh Posted: June 07, 2013 at 01:24 PM (#4463532)
Jays take Tyler O'Neill as an outfielder. Canadian kid, listed as a RF, he was a catcher before hernia surgery.

-- MWE
   237. Mike Emeigh Posted: June 07, 2013 at 01:27 PM (#4463540)
Pirates take Jacoby Jones out of LSU. Not happy about this one either; his bat just hasn't been developing and the Pirates don't have a great track record of developing guys like this.

-- MWE
   238. Mike Emeigh Posted: June 07, 2013 at 01:30 PM (#4463546)
Phillies take Cord Sandberg. Typical Phillies pick, probably a tough sign because he has a football scholarship to Mississippi State.

-- MWE
   239. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: June 07, 2013 at 01:41 PM (#4463558)
Not related to Ryne at all, right?
   240. Mike Emeigh Posted: June 07, 2013 at 01:45 PM (#4463561)
Jim Duquette praises the Mets pick. He must be worth at least .5 Victor Zambranos.

I actually like Meisner a lot, too. He's got very clean mechanics, and he's shown the ability to repeat them, plus he's still got some growth left.

A's take Ryon Healy, Oregon 1B. That's a "prototypical A's pick" from the Moneyball days.

-- MWE
   241. Mike Emeigh Posted: June 07, 2013 at 01:46 PM (#4463564)
Not related to Ryne at all, right?

He's Ryne's nephew.

-- MWE
   242. JJ1986 Posted: June 07, 2013 at 01:47 PM (#4463567)
Is BaseballAmerica.com down? I'm getting an "error establishing database connection" message.
   243. Mike Emeigh Posted: June 07, 2013 at 01:49 PM (#4463568)
Michael O'Neill to the Yankees. Paul's nephew.

-- MWE
   244. JJ1986 Posted: June 07, 2013 at 01:49 PM (#4463569)
Paul O'Neill's nephew, Michael, picked by the Yankees.
   245. Mike Emeigh Posted: June 07, 2013 at 01:53 PM (#4463572)
Drew Ward is the last selection of the third round, by the Nationals. Ward chose to graduate a year early from high school in order to get into this year's draft (I suspect because he took a look at the depth of next year's class). HS SS but probably not a SS in the pros.

-- MWE
   246. Mike Emeigh Posted: June 07, 2013 at 01:55 PM (#4463575)
Round 4 under way. From here on out there are no more special picks, just 30 picks per round.

-- MWE
   247. STEAGLES is all out of bubblegum Posted: June 07, 2013 at 02:02 PM (#4463582)
Phillies take Cord Sandberg. Typical Phillies pick, probably a tough sign because he has a football scholarship to Mississippi State.
the phillies are usually really good at gauging the signability of the high school prospects that they select.

i like the two guys they got so far today, but i tend to prefer stockier, thicker position players.

so far, with the caveat that i really don't know much of anything about the guys the phillies drafted (and i know even less about the guys the phillies passed on to get them), but i'd have to say this class is shaping pretty well. 3 HS/1 college, 4 position players/no pitchers.

that's pretty much exactly the profile i'd have gone for.
   248. Mike Emeigh Posted: June 07, 2013 at 02:05 PM (#4463585)
Zane Evans to the Royals. They're listing him as a catcher, although he's also pitched as a late-inning reliever. He can hit, question is whether he can take the wear and tear of catching.

-- MWE
   249. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: June 07, 2013 at 02:06 PM (#4463587)
I like to think all the picks are special.
   250. Mike Emeigh Posted: June 07, 2013 at 02:07 PM (#4463588)
Evan Smith to the Blue Jays. First guy that I've never heard of and can't find any video of. Alabama HS P.

Mets take Lee Mazzilli, UConn 2B, son of Lee.

-- MWE
   251. JJ1986 Posted: June 07, 2013 at 02:07 PM (#4463589)
Mets take LJ Mazzilli. I quite like that pick.
   252. Mike Emeigh Posted: June 07, 2013 at 02:14 PM (#4463601)
4th round shadow for the Pirates: Andy McGuire, HS SS/3B from Virginia. They actually take Cody Dickson, a lefty out of Sam Houston State.

-- MWE
   253. STEAGLES is all out of bubblegum Posted: June 07, 2013 at 02:16 PM (#4463607)
another HS position player for the phillies.

i know nothing about him

i like it.
   254. Mike Emeigh Posted: June 07, 2013 at 02:19 PM (#4463613)
Cody Bellinger, son of Clay, to the Dodgers.

-- MWE
   255. Mike Emeigh Posted: June 07, 2013 at 02:22 PM (#4463620)
another HS position player for the phillies.

Jake Sweaney, a catcher. He played baseball and football in high school. Good raw power, good arm, wiry guy, good enough mechanically so that he can probably stay behind the plate. Lots of tools, will they develop.

-- MWE
   256. Mike Emeigh Posted: June 07, 2013 at 02:25 PM (#4463625)
Rays take Kean Wong, brother of Cardinals' infielder Kolten. Same skill set.

-- MWE
   257. JJ1986 Posted: June 07, 2013 at 02:28 PM (#4463628)
Former first round pick Dylan Covey taken by the A's in the 4th.
   258. Mike Emeigh Posted: June 07, 2013 at 02:29 PM (#4463631)
Here's a name for you: Isaiah Kiner-Falefa, HS SS from Hawaii, to the Rangers.

As get Dylan Covey. Covey was a first-rounder of the Brewers three years ago but was diagnosed with diabetes and wound up going to college so that he could learn to manage it.

-- MWE
   259. Mike Emeigh Posted: June 07, 2013 at 02:36 PM (#4463643)
Round 5 under way.

-- MWE
   260. JJ1986 Posted: June 07, 2013 at 02:37 PM (#4463644)
Astros take 5'6" Tony Kemp, SEC player of the year. I like him, but that's higher than I thought he'd go.
   261. Mess with the Meat, you get the Wad! Posted: June 07, 2013 at 02:39 PM (#4463647)
hmm a guy with arm trouble, well its a bullpen peice I guess
   262. Mike Emeigh Posted: June 07, 2013 at 02:44 PM (#4463656)
Chad Wallach, son of Tim, to the Marlins. He's a catcher out of CSU-Fullerton.

-- MWE
   263. Mess with the Meat, you get the Wad! Posted: June 07, 2013 at 02:46 PM (#4463658)
In todays chi trib rogers has an article talking about Bryant coming up in september. I cant see him be any where near that close to being ready
   264. Mike Emeigh Posted: June 07, 2013 at 02:48 PM (#4463660)
Royals take Amalani Fukofuka, HS CF out of California. Another baseball/football guy.

-- MWE
   265. Mike Emeigh Posted: June 07, 2013 at 02:50 PM (#4463662)
Mets take Jared King, Kansas State OF. Good value pick, could be a tweener though.

-- MWE
   266. Mike Emeigh Posted: June 07, 2013 at 02:51 PM (#4463664)
Guy I like for the Pirates in this round: Keegan Thompson, RHP, Alabama HS.

-- MWE
   267. Rickey! In a van on 95 south... Posted: June 07, 2013 at 02:51 PM (#4463666)
The Braves have decided to never draft anything other than power arms and catchers, apparently.
   268. Derb Posted: June 07, 2013 at 02:56 PM (#4463671)
Anyone know why Bobby Wahl has fallen this far? I thought he was a late first, early second round talent at worst.
   269. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: June 07, 2013 at 02:57 PM (#4463674)
Royals take Amalani Fukofuka, HS CF out of California. Another baseball/football guy.

Steve Physioc's worst nightmare.
   270. STEAGLES is all out of bubblegum Posted: June 07, 2013 at 02:58 PM (#4463677)
phillies took a college pitcher in the 5th.

i'd have preferred the midget the astros got, but if this guy comes cheap, it'll be a solid enough pull.
   271. Mike Emeigh Posted: June 07, 2013 at 02:59 PM (#4463678)
Pirates take Trae Arbet, HS SS from California.

I have to do some real work now :)

-- MWE
   272. Mike Emeigh Posted: June 07, 2013 at 03:01 PM (#4463682)
Anyone know why Bobby Wahl has fallen this far?

Concerns about secondary pitches (is he going to end up in the bullpen?), fastball command.

-- MWE
   273. Der-K, the bloodied charmer Posted: June 07, 2013 at 03:07 PM (#4463690)
Shocked that Farmer fell to 156, given that he's a senior (hence, a discount and you can reallocate that money).
   274. Der-K, the bloodied charmer Posted: June 07, 2013 at 03:13 PM (#4463703)
Wahl finally goes - Oakland, round 5
   275. STEAGLES is all out of bubblegum Posted: June 07, 2013 at 07:36 PM (#4463919)
i think the phillies might have crushed this draft. i mean, you have to wait for these guys to sign, and even after that, you have to wait 3 or 4 or 5 years for the draft to really be evaluated, but as a gut reaction, i think they did really well.

guys like knapp (C), sandberg (OF), sweeney (C), monda (OF) and williams (3B) are exactly the kind of hit-first guys that the phillies have been mocked for never drafting. hernandez is my kind of middle-infielder, and i'm still not a huge fan of the crawford pick, but maybe i'll be wrong. i mean, i wasn't wrong about hewitt or collier or golson or hudson, but maybe this time...
   276. Der-K, the bloodied charmer Posted: June 07, 2013 at 08:40 PM (#4463955)
Sandberg is signing - 775k.
   277. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: June 08, 2013 at 12:58 AM (#4464160)
Dodgers sign 2nd rounder P Tom Windle for slot ($986k) and 4th rounder Cody Bellinger (reportedly overslot value of $409k)
Nats sign 2nd rounder (their first pick) P Jake Johansen for slot ($820k)
Braves sign 3rd rounder Carlos Salazar for "significantly" overslot ($505k)

Reportedly Red Sox #7 overall pick Trey Ball could sign this weekend.

Royals #8 overall pick Hunter Dozier all but admitted he had a deal in his presser.

278. JJ1986 Posted: June 08, 2013 at 06:15 PM (#4464518)
Yankees take Cal Quantrill. Any chance they can free-up enough money to sign him?
   279. Der-K, the bloodied charmer Posted: June 08, 2013 at 10:18 PM (#4464676)
i think you'll see him at stanford
   280. Der-K, the bloodied charmer Posted: June 09, 2013 at 03:22 PM (#4464998)
Is thing going to also be the signing thread?
Page 3 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Harveys Wallbangers
for his generous support.