Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Saturday, July 30, 2011

MLB: Pence pulled, reportedly traded to Phillies

Pence pulled. Sounds painful.

The Astros reached a deal to send All-Star outfielder Hunter Pence to the Phillies in exchange for four players, including Philadelphia’s top two Minor League prospects, a person close to the negotiations told MLB.com. The deal, which is subject to the approval Major League Baseball, is expected to be finalized on Friday.

Pence was pulled from the field in the middle of the fifth inning of the Astros’ game against the Brewers on Friday night at Miller Park.

The Astros are receiving right-handed pitcher Jarred Cosart and left-handed outfielder Jonathan Singleton, along with two more players. At least one of the players will be a player to be named later. Cosart is ranked by MLB.com as the Phillies’ top prospect, and Singleton is No. 2.

Repoz Posted: July 30, 2011 at 02:22 AM | 108 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: astros, phillies

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2
   101. base ball chick Posted: July 30, 2011 at 11:52 PM (#3889209)
i forgot

about clank - i can't believe i'm saying this, but this year, for the first time i've ever seen, he is actually TRYING to field well - he's not just shrugging and letting everything drop and kind of waddling over to get it - he is actually hustling. i swear it. he's even managed to improve his fielding at first base - last year he looked like mike piazza/mo vaughn at first. he's even throwing more accurately.

i swear to GOD

and he has picked up on his hitting a bit - he has taken to popping up instead of GIDP so he makes a lot fewer outs

still, unless drayton/new owner eats most of the 27 mill, he ain't goin nowhers
   102. base ball chick Posted: July 30, 2011 at 11:56 PM (#3889216)
and yew robin

yew NEED a SPANKIN!!!!!

(and you are dead right about why i am so FURIOUS with my *(*#%!ing team's *(%&! front office!!!!!)
   103. Mayor Blomberg Posted: July 31, 2011 at 02:05 AM (#3889346)
As to Pence, what's wrong with making Bourn the fan favorite?

well, there's one non-stat based difference between them that might contribute, though I'd love to be proved wrong.
   104. Mash Wilson Posted: July 31, 2011 at 02:08 AM (#3889351)
That and the fact Bourn's going to be a Brave by this time tomorrow.
   105. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: July 31, 2011 at 04:02 AM (#3889415)
Suppose the Phillies play the Pirates in the first round this year (a scenario which, for right now, is still possible). What do you think the Phillies' probability of beating the Pirates in a five game series would be?

It feels like around 90% to me, but the side of me that likes math (I keep it hidden in a dark corner of my brain mostly) is insisting it's probably no more than 65-70%.

Just based on current team strength (i.e. assuming no team beneits/loses more from the postseason setup compared to regular season play*), I have the Phillies at about 71.5% to win a 5 game series, and about 75% to win a 7 game series. Although if the the Pirates do make the PS, it's likely that they will look a bit stronger than they currently do.

*which some people will no doubt argue will shift things in Phillies favour with their front of the rotation
   106. Sam M. Posted: July 31, 2011 at 04:47 AM (#3889444)
i do want to say that if i wasn't married to husby-do, who is teh awesomeness (he wants to know if after i divorce the astros i am gonna get remarried to the cards or pirates - or spend the rest of my life grousing about what a (swear words) my ex is) i would marry sam M. or mike E. maybe both. you can't nevah have too much awesomeness

I will only say to this that I would marry Lisa in a heartbeat if she weren't married, and I wouldn't even ask that she convert to my religion. By which I mean the Mets, of course. When it comes to the church of baseball, she has surely suffered enough (as this thread amply shows).

Plus Sam M wouldn't even want you to have sex with him. Win-win.

As to this remark, I have no comment. A gentlemen never kisses (nor refrains from kissing) and tells.
   107. Something Other Posted: July 31, 2011 at 06:11 AM (#3889468)
So imagine the Mets were moribund, "had" to trade Wright and Reyes, and you knew the new owners were going to be as bad as the Wilpons, were underfunded and, say, Minaya was still in charge. It's distinctly more depressing.
Yeah--I was thinking along these lines, only with the Wilpons riding out the storm and securing their majority position while firing Alderson. That'd be grounds for fan divorce. If they brought back Minaya, though? Wow.

being an astros fan these days is like being an abused woman hoping that he'll "change" because he's soooooooo sorry
Or, say, like the little kids who hope mommy will stop getting drunk and beating the #### out of them.

Huh. Mothers kill their young children more often than do fathers. Who knew?
   108. Dan Posted: July 31, 2011 at 01:51 PM (#3889526)
According to Rosenthal, Bourn is headed to the Braves for 4 prospects.

So much for making him into the new fan favorite.

#Braves agree on deal w #Astros for Michael Bourn. Hou gets J Schafer, lhp Brett Oberholtzer, rhp Paul Clemens & rhp Juan Abreu. #trades

From Jayson Stark
Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Vegas Watch
for his generous support.