Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, June 04, 2013

MLB seeks to suspend A-Rod, Braun

This’ll go over as well as a Frey Family wedding.

Major League Baseball will seek to suspend about 20 players connected to the Miami-area clinic at the heart of an ongoing performance-enhancing drug scandal, including Alex Rodriguez and Ryan Braun, possibly within the next few weeks, “Outside the Lines” has learned. If the suspensions are upheld, the performance-enhancing drug scandal would be the largest in American sports history.

Tony Bosch, founder of the now-shuttered Biogenesis of America, reached an agreement this week to cooperate with MLB’s investigation, two sources told “Outside the Lines,” giving MLB the ammunition officials believe they need to suspend the players.

Gamingboy Posted: June 04, 2013 at 08:07 PM | 216 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: a-rod, biogenesis, steroids

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 3 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3
   201. Joey B. is counting the days to Trea Turner Posted: June 05, 2013 at 07:00 PM (#4461640)
And what if a cyclist wants to compete without having to "drug up"? Then tough noogies for him and he can just go #### himself I guess, right?
   202. Ray (CTL) Posted: June 05, 2013 at 07:11 PM (#4461649)
Snipping from Joe Sheehan's newsletter:

@joe_sheehan: I shouldn't snark. This is Drug Enforcement 101. You cut the dealer a break to get the goods on the us… No, wait.

MLB tried to get the government as interested in Biogenesis founder Anthony Bosch as the league had previously gotten the feds interested in Kirk Radomski and Brian McNamee. In this way, MLB could then exert leverage over the fates of the drug dealers to get information in their ongoing attempts to destroy their own product. When Bosch turned out to be too small a target for the feds, MLB filed a laughable lawsuit against Bosch, asserting that by selling players drugs he had damaged the league's business. The lawsuit, or some unknown other pressures -- at this point, I would believe almost anything -- have convinced Bosch to cooperate with MLB's investigation of the players appearing in Bosch's files.

Whether a player uses an illegal substance in an effort to get better is a vanishingly small issue. A half-century of baseball players mostly agree with me, and I know this because using illegal drugs and shutting up about it was perfectly fine in baseball -- in clubhouses, in training rooms, and in front offices -- up until about six minutes ago. I know this because the so-called "Steroid Era" was marked by huge increases in the game's popularity, in the amount of time and money people invested in baseball.

Selig has led MLB down a rabbit hole, and it seems as if those of us who love the game of baseball may never be able to find our way out. This is how Bud Selig wants the sports fans of America to spend the summer.

NFL camps open in seven weeks.

203. Danny Posted: June 05, 2013 at 07:20 PM (#4461656)
Selig has led MLB down a rabbit hole, and it seems as if those of us who love the game of baseball may never be able to find our way out. This is how Bud Selig wants the sports fans of America to spend the summer.

NFL camps open in seven weeks.

This reads like parody.
   204. Ray (CTL) Posted: June 05, 2013 at 07:22 PM (#4461660)
This reads like parody.

YMMV but I disagree. What are people focusing on right now ahead of the game on the field? What have hall of fame discussions turned into? What have discussions of the greatest players ever, or the best current players, turned into? Steroids.
   205. zenbitz Posted: June 05, 2013 at 07:27 PM (#4461664)
I think the parody is that the NFL is assumed (not disputing) to be full of roiders. But I agree with Sheehan. I don't really care if atheletes are roiding! DANCE MONKEY*, DANCE!

* but not in a racist way
   206. Danny Posted: June 05, 2013 at 08:51 PM (#4461735)
I think the parody is that the NFL is assumed (not disputing) to be full of roiders.

No, I agree with Sheehan's general point. It's that speaking on behalf of "those of us who love the game of baseball" is douchey and implies that people who disagree with him about PEDs don't actually love baseball. And the rest of that section ("may never be able to find our way out...NFL camps open in seven weeks") is awfully dramatic.
   207. Ray (CTL) Posted: June 05, 2013 at 09:31 PM (#4461786)
And the rest of that section ("may never be able to find our way out...NFL camps open in seven weeks") is awfully dramatic

Well, I do think we "won't ever find our way out" of the mess that HOF arguments have become. But I suspect the HOF rendering itself irrelevant for not taking action to bring the voters down from their high horses will make that issue moot.

The NFL part is just Sheehan's humor, which you have to read him enough to get.
   208. Sunday silence Posted: June 06, 2013 at 12:27 PM (#4462246)

There's no way the multiple purchases equal multiple violations defense is going to fly. It's implicitly rejected by the one positive test equals one violation standard. One positive test, by definition, can result from not only multiple purchases, but multiple uses.

It's an interesting defense, but dont be so sure it will work. There are cases in law where there are charges of multiple rapes and a swab test proves the defendants semen is there in the woman. But that alone does not prove multiple rapes. But then they throw in testimony etc. and the defendant may be convicted on multiple counts.

Not sure the Selig team is that saavy, they sure seem like hucksters in front of the arbitration judges, but the pt. is dont be sure this is a very good defense.

Another pt. is who exactly is the judge and jury in all this? people keep claiming that Bosch is unreliable but then again who exactly is he going to testify in front of? Some hand picked arbitration judge? Not sure how all this is supposed to play out...

A good pt. about why bosh is cooperating with MLB, and not state federal authorities. Could this ESPN story be missing half the picture? Is it possible there are state and federal agencies involved in this whole thing and that they will threaten players with federal crimes? I am pretty sure we are not getting the entire story right now.

Bottom line is dont underestimate how far SElig would go or how much legal pressure will be on these guys. There could be pending federal charges. Again this story is still unverified, but it strikes me there could be serious legal stuff backing up the commissioner.

Players have been using greenies since post WW II and other assorted junk prior even to that. That hardly seems have hurt popularity of baseball. At least looking in the long term aspects. Looking 50 years down the road is sort of insane, but as long as human being have different abilities, and are not like robots the game should remain interesting.

that hardly seems debateable Its always been an interesting game for any number of reasons. The statistical analysis is one. But also the fact that baseball can actually be studied in real time, you can second guess these decisions as they are being made. In football and basketball line ups and match ups and play calls are changing so quickly it is hard for any one person to know enuf as the game is being played.
   209. villageidiom Posted: June 06, 2013 at 01:23 PM (#4462363)
There's no way the multiple purchases equal multiple violations defense is going to fly. It's implicitly rejected by the one positive test equals one violation standard.
That would matter if they were being suspended for one positive test. The one-violation standard is expressly applicable just to positive drug tests, not other violations.
   210. villageidiom Posted: June 06, 2013 at 01:25 PM (#4462366)
#191 - I appreciate you taking the time to dig up the context. My searches for the quote routinely turned up only your posts.
   211. villageidiom Posted: June 06, 2013 at 01:53 PM (#4462409)
The angle I find interesting isn't that this is how Selig wants us to spend the summer.

MLB has an antitrust exemption, thanks to judicial precedent and Congressional inaction. SCOTUS first ruled for the exemption. Subsequent rulings affirmed the original ruling on the basis that Congress has had the power to enact law to remove the exemption but has not done so, thus intending for the exemption to stand.

How much of Selig's motives here are to keep Congress off his back?* The appearance of MLB indifference got Congress poking around last time. And if this is his motive, maybe we should expect over the long term MLB will force scandal to the front pages to defend against Congress doing it for them - a continual dance with the devil that won't end unless the antitrust exemption goes away. Is that worth it?

* I'll stipulate Congress has better ways of spending their time. I'm not asking based on what Congress should be doing, but rather on what they will do.
   212. McCoy Posted: June 06, 2013 at 02:11 PM (#4462436)
wrong thread
   213. Ron J2 Posted: June 06, 2013 at 02:13 PM (#4462439)
who exactly is he going to testify in front of?

A professional arbitrator mutually acceptable to MLB and the PA.
   214. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: June 06, 2013 at 02:31 PM (#4462464)
And what if a cyclist wants to compete without having to "drug up"? Then tough noogies for him and he can just go #### himself I guess, right?
I'd like to win the World Series. But I don't want to practice or anything. Should I just make that against the rules?
   215. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: June 06, 2013 at 02:52 PM (#4462504)
Re: #210--
VI-- no problem. I never need much encouragement to pull out the scrapbook of old quotes from before MLB and the media decided on their official brand of whitewash.

I don't think Selig pointed a finger at anyone when he lied before Congress, though, so it's all good.
   216. Ron J2 Posted: June 06, 2013 at 03:41 PM (#4462570)
#214 Worth noting that in the early days of the modern Olympics the argument was made that regular training was contrary to the spirit of the games.
Page 3 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Chicago Joe
for his generous support.