Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, April 09, 2013

Musical Grand Slams

Not sure I’d agree with any of these but Len Kasper contributed so, ummm, baseball-related.

With Baseball’s Opening Day around the corner, Jim and Greg team up with Len Kasper, TV voice of the Chicago Cubs, to pay homage to their version of a Grand Slam. We all know how this works in baseball (though sports-phobe Jim DeRogatis is still getting the hang of the rules). A batter hits a home run with bases loaded, sending four players to home plate. In music, Jim and Greg define a grand slam as four masterpiece albums in a row. Which artists have achieved this rarest of rock feats?

Walt Davis Posted: April 09, 2013 at 12:44 AM | 216 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: general

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 3 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3
   201. Depressoteric feels Royally blue these days Posted: April 11, 2013 at 04:23 PM (#4411059)
on the springsteen front, if you can find it, the bryn mawr concert from 75 when suki lavah was still in the group is essential, its the closest any american artist ever got to being the north american version of Van Morrison, its probably my fave bootleg of all time. it presents an intersting "what if" scenario to springsteens career, what if landua hadnt been let into the creative henhouse ?( remeber landua was a guy who though "peppermint twist" was better than ANY bob dylan song)
You mean Jon LANDAU? And yes, I agree that Landau had a negative effect overall on Springsteen, helping turn him into a rock's pseudo-Steinbeck...though Springsteen is a guy with agency and has to ultimately take responsibility for his own creative decisions.

That said, the concert you're thinking about is 2/5/75 at The Main Point in Bryn Mawr, PA. And yes, it's quite possibly his greatest show ever; in fact, it more or less draws the curtain down on his true 'golden era' of January 1973 - February 1975. (BTW, if your copy of this show is an old one, be aware that it has been MASSIVELY upgraded sound-wise in recent years.) The early version of "Thunder Road" (entitled "Wings For Wheels" and featuring completely different lyrics and structure) is a revelation, and the prototype version of "She's The One" absolutely destroys the much more straitjacketed arrangement that finally made it onto Born To Run. And of course the opening solo piano/violin "Incident On 57th Street" is just legendary: my favorite Springsteen song, in what is perhaps my favorite ever performance.
   202. Depressoteric feels Royally blue these days Posted: April 11, 2013 at 07:33 PM (#4411216)
Alright, let's see if this works: R.E.M. 1/22/82 - Friday's | Greensboro, NC. Just a magnificent concert (in sparkling soundboard), with a young, hungry R.E.M. playing a setlist stacked with the best material from Chronic Town and Murmur (neither of which had yet to be recorded).

Setlist: Gardening At Night/9-9/Windout/[Unknown Song]/There She Goes Again/Sitting Still/That Beat/Pretty Persuasion/Mystery To Me/Carnival Of Sorts (Box Cars)/Ages Of You/Catapult/Shaking Through/Laughing/Romance/Ghost Riders In The Sky/Permanent Vacation/1,000,000/Wolves, Lower/Radio Free Europe

Favorite piece of stage patter:
PETER BUCK: This is for Ellen.

[pause]

Not about, FOR.

[plays "There She Goes Again"]
   203. Drexl Spivey Posted: April 11, 2013 at 08:10 PM (#4411242)
Castillo's gone, but Oliveri is back on this QOTSA album.

Apparently Oliveri is only providing vocals on a couple of tracks.

His domestic assault of a lady, then holding her hostage for two hours with a SWAT team outside, then getting caught with cocaine and a loaded rifle was enough to get the guy kicked out of the band.

He somehow avoided jail time, but he is on probation for several years (the guy must have one hell of a lawyer).
   204. Monty Posted: April 11, 2013 at 08:16 PM (#4411245)
Alright, let's see if this works: R.E.M. 1/22/82 - Friday's | Greensboro, NC. Just a magnificent concert (in sparkling soundboard), with a young, hungry R.E.M. playing a setlist stacked with the best material from Chronic Town and Murmur (neither of which had yet to be recorded).

Awesome. Thanks!
   205. Depressoteric feels Royally blue these days Posted: April 11, 2013 at 08:17 PM (#4411247)
Awesome. Thanks!
You're going to LOVE this show.
   206. Depressoteric feels Royally blue these days Posted: April 11, 2013 at 08:23 PM (#4411253)
Incidentally, there's *A LOT* more where that came from, from all the groups I mentioned above (in terms of live music). I'd be happy to upload any requests for anything that hasn't been commercially released. I could do this #### all year 'round. What can I say...I'm a proselytizer.
   207. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: April 11, 2013 at 08:29 PM (#4411257)
Wow.

That's a trip.

Went to register on dgmlive to download the 10-23-1973 show and got rejected on my username of choice, which I use for all of similar things like this and has *never* happened before.

So I started trying different email address (which is the login) and found an old one that worked ... an email address I haven't used since 2008.

Huh, guess I set up an account there way back when ... that I have *NO* recollection of ever doing ...

[edit] Weirder still ... my account history says I downloaded the 6-28-74 Asbury Park show ... of which I have *NO* recollection of ever hearing AND doesn't exist in my King Crimson folder ...
   208. Depressoteric feels Royally blue these days Posted: April 11, 2013 at 08:33 PM (#4411263)
Went to register on dgmlive to download the 10-23-1973 show and got rejected on my username of choice, which I use for all of similar things like this and has *never* happened before.
If I had to prioritize, I'd tell you to get the 10/23/73 show and then the 4/29/74 one. I'll eat my shoe if you don't like those; between them, you get basically every single song that version of KC ever performed live, including rarer ones like "Larks' Tongues Part One," "Book Of Saturday," "The Great Deceiver," and "Doctor Diamond." And the improvs are peerless.

[edit] Weirder still ... my account history says I downloaded the 6-28-74 Asbury Park show ... of which I have *NO* recollection of ever hearing AND doesn't exist in my King Crimson folder ...
Ha. That's a great show, but most of it is (with a few later overdubs) now available on the CD reissue of U.S.A. (which is one of my favorite live LPs by any group, ever -- the CD version adds "Starless" and "Fracture" to the original album). The DGM download does add two great 'missing pieces', however, in restoring the full-length versions of "Easy Money" and the "Asbury Park" improv. While the best part of "Asbury Park" was arguably captured already on the original release, the second half of "Easy Money" is INCREDIBLE, and its original omission is damn near perverse.

Incidentally, that 6/28/74 show contains what I have always held to be the single greatest live performance in the entire history of King Crimson (all versions, not just the '72-'74 one): "Exiles."
   209. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: April 11, 2013 at 08:42 PM (#4411267)
Using BitTorrent to distribute is a bit ... odd.

Especially since I've been waiting for 5 minutes to find a peer, let alone a seed.

I wonder if this is a clue to the missing show from the past.

Let's try a track-by-track download ...
   210. Depressoteric feels Royally blue these days Posted: April 11, 2013 at 08:43 PM (#4411268)
Let's try a track-by-track download ...
Track-by-track is what I've always done. The files arrive ridiculously quickly, unless you're on a dial-up or something.
   211. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: April 11, 2013 at 08:45 PM (#4411269)
No, 30Mbps cable.

Not exactly flying, but at least they're now downloading ...
   212. Depressoteric feels Royally blue these days Posted: April 11, 2013 at 09:02 PM (#4411281)
I'm very much looking forward to your opinion on the show. I hope I haven't misled you, and in fact I'd be hard-pressed to imagine how I possibly could have since you already know and like KC from this era. It's just a fantastic show.

Another piece of info: the 10/23/73 show is part of a live 'trilogy' of sorts: the other two shows are 11/15/73 Zurich Volkshaus and 11/23/73 Concertgebouw. All were recorded on multitrack, and all contributed something to Starless And Bible Black (11/15/73 gave us "The Mincer" -- with John Wetton later overdubbing a vocal -- and 11/23/73 is the source of a HUGE amount of SABB: "Fracture," "Starless And Bible Black," "Trio," and the first half of "The Night Watch.") 11/23/73 was commercially released back in the '90s in full under the name The Night Watch; it's a fantastic show ("Exiles" in particular is the second best performance I've ever heard) but the truly key moments were already used for Starless. 11/15/73 is nearly as obligatory as 10/23/73, but it's only available via mail order as part of the King Crimson Collector's Club. (Though a significant chunk of it was used for the Great Deceiver boxed set.)

Yes, I know. I know. I'm almost weirdly Rain Man-like in my complete mastery of useless music trivia.
   213. Depressoteric feels Royally blue these days Posted: April 11, 2013 at 11:45 PM (#4411375)
CoB, check your e-mail.
   214. Monty Posted: April 12, 2013 at 02:42 PM (#4412010)
You're going to LOVE this show.

I do!
   215. Depressoteric feels Royally blue these days Posted: May 01, 2013 at 01:41 AM (#4430311)
This was a fun thread. And hey, there's still a great early R.E.M. concert available at the link in #202! Grab, kiddies, grab!
   216. vortex of dissipation Posted: May 01, 2013 at 02:07 AM (#4430313)
This was a fun thread. And hey, there's still a great early R.E.M. concert available at the link in #202! Grab, kiddies, grab!

I did - thank you!
Page 3 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Dock Ellis on Acid
for his generous support.