Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Nadel: Blonde bombshell can’t distract red-hot Cubs

Conny Van Dyke got a gig with ESPN?!  Cool!

Erin Andrews, the ESPN “it” babe who clearly isn’t afraid to flaunt it, sauntered around the visiting clubhouse, flitting from one Cubs player to another. Her skimpy outfit — designed to accentuate her, um, positives — had players leering at her. Some made lewd comments under their breath. Others giggled like 12-year-olds.

More on that later, as the scene was just one part of Bizarro Wednesday at Miller Park.

...Moments later, the blonde reporter was chatting with Alfonso Soriano. At one point, she placed her hand suggestively on Soriano’s left biceps.

Was I reading too much into all this? I don’t think so. I’ve been a paid observer for a long time ... and I wasn’t exactly the only one who noticed. As two Cubs stood near their lockers, one asked the other: “Hot? Or just attractive? Does she do anything for you?” The inquisitor then made eye contact with me as if saying — to use a term my uncle might have — “Hubba-hubba!”

This went on for at least an hour. Finally, Piniella emerged from his office, ready for his dugout media session. As he turned the corner, there was Andrews in all of her bare-legged, high-heeled, low-necklined glory.

“Hey, hey, hey! Look at this!” Piniella said, loudly and excitedly. “Are you doing a baseball game today or a modeling assignment?”

Repoz Posted: July 31, 2008 at 10:28 PM | 121 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: announcers, cubs, television

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2
   101. Lassus Posted: August 01, 2008 at 01:34 PM (#2886019)
Pish-posh. Some of us highly evolved beings saw Minor Threat back in the day.

You know, I never started drinking, smoking, or doing any drugs, but I found the straight-edge bands to be tiresome and annoying, when the REALLY EARNEST kids started preaching to me. The only thing that saved Minor Threat for me was that I don't really care all that much about lyrics.

From back in that day, 7 Seconds had no equal to my ears and eyes.
   102. A big pile of nonsense (gef the talking mongoose) Posted: August 01, 2008 at 02:04 PM (#2886057)
I agree -- never paid any attention to the X-handers at all. (I was an A-circler, myself. Odd how I've never quite managed to mature beyond that, some 25 years later ...) "In My Eyes," though, just may be the single best hardcore 7" ever.

Only 7 Seconds I ever listened to was the first 7". Pretty decent, but I can't say it ever made much of an impression on me. They did a decent job opening for the DKs in Phoenix in, I believe, the fall of '83, but again I wasn't blown away.
   103. Shibal Posted: August 01, 2008 at 02:56 PM (#2886150)
I want my women dressed like Obama wants his women dressed:

“Do not wear green.” (Explained later as the color of Hamas)

“Do not wear nail polish.”

“Women should only wear a limited amount of jewelry.”

“Shoulders and arms must be fully covered (no strapless tops, no tank tops, no short sleeve shirts.)”

“Closed-toe shoes, women should also wear stockings.”
   104. SouthSideRyan Posted: August 01, 2008 at 03:05 PM (#2886174)
Maybe it's a generational thing, but she wasn't wearing a short dress.
   105. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: August 01, 2008 at 03:14 PM (#2886183)
Ah, it's not the misogynists fault--she was asking for it.
I don't think that word means what you think it means. I think the people commenting are rather the opposite.
   106. Spahn Insane Posted: August 01, 2008 at 03:15 PM (#2886186)
Maybe it's a generational thing, but she wasn't wearing a short dress.

Yeah, that's true--you're from the "1.5 or so generations younger than me" generation that got to benefit from rampant skimpiness being the norm, and the entire college coed population turning into wannabe p0rn stars. Color me envious.
   107. Iwakuma Chameleon (jonathan) Posted: August 01, 2008 at 03:31 PM (#2886216)
I have a lot of female friends doing summer internships at businesses and such, and if I saw them on their way to work wearing that, at least at this time of the year, I wouldn't even think twice. In fact, I have seen them wearing stuff like that to work before, and it didn't really strike me. And Andrews in that picture on Deadspin certainly doesn't strike me as being out of the ordinary. I dunno, must be a generational thing. When you see girls at clubs and parties often wearing dresses with their asses hanging out (literally, not figuratively) I suppose your "sluttiness" standards shift a bit.
   108. Iwakuma Chameleon (jonathan) Posted: August 01, 2008 at 03:32 PM (#2886221)
Yeah, that's true--you're from the "1.5 or so generations younger than me" generation that got to benefit from rampant skimpiness being the norm, and the entire college coed population turning into wannabe p0rn stars. Color me envious.

Yep, pretty much.
   109. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: August 01, 2008 at 03:42 PM (#2886231)
Every generation thinks this, and it's usually false. Sexual behavior among teenagers hasn't changed since 1991. I'm skeptical it's changed in college, either.
   110. Spahn Insane Posted: August 01, 2008 at 03:44 PM (#2886233)
Every generation thinks this, and it's usually false. Sexual behavior among teenagers hasn't changed since 1991. I'm skeptical it's changed in college, either.

I don't know. I have a lot of friends who're about 8-12 years my junior (24-28), and it seems to me the world's changed, just based on observation.
   111. Lassus Posted: August 01, 2008 at 03:49 PM (#2886240)
I don't know. I have a lot of friends who're about 8-12 years my junior (24-28), and it seems to me the world's changed, just based on observation.

And how's Jeter's defense, just based on Jon Sterling's observation? ;-)
   112. PerroX Posted: August 01, 2008 at 08:00 PM (#2886658)
I think that would depend on what it is that's put you on your death bed.

Until then, I'm going to ride it hard and put it up wet.
   113. Hang down your head, Tom Foley Posted: August 01, 2008 at 08:21 PM (#2886719)
Said ESPN executive Norby Williamson: "Erin is a tremendous reporter. She's a prepared and a hard-working journalist, who is well respected and asks excellent questions. We're proud to have her as an important part of our coverage team. Beyond that, we feel it's unnecessary to even respond to any of the specifics outlined."
   114. Best Dressed Chicken in Town Posted: August 01, 2008 at 08:22 PM (#2886721)
Sexy, yes.

Slutty, no.

For some men, of course, there is no difference.

-----------
women are worse than men when it comes to judging women sluts.

Exactly. If a woman is jealous of another woman who is dressed "sexily" "provocatively" "summery" whatever, she calls that woman a "slut."

Someone answer the question we all wanna know -- how many athletes has Erin Andrews ######?
   115. Hang down your head, Tom Foley Posted: August 01, 2008 at 08:24 PM (#2886724)
Someone answer the question we all wanna know -- how many athletes has Erin Andrews ######?

Interviewed? Probably in the hundreds.
   116. Guapo Posted: August 01, 2008 at 08:25 PM (#2886725)

Thank you, Gene Rayburn.
   117. phredbird Posted: August 01, 2008 at 08:41 PM (#2886750)
Nobody's posted her hottest pic in this thread yet? At least I think it's the hottest.

Here MDAA

p3wned again!
   118. Voros McCracken of Pinkus Posted: August 01, 2008 at 10:06 PM (#2886835)
From back in that day, 7 Seconds had no equal to my ears and eyes.

Damn straight Lassus. Even to this day 7 Seconds brings a smile to my face. A truly great band if only for a little while. Minor Threat and Fugazi both had their moments, but like others Ian could work my last nerve if I listened to what he was saying.
Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
tshipman
for his generous support.