Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Saturday, September 30, 2006

Newsday: Sure sign that Mets are tired of Milledge’s antics

Treading on thin ice with the ever splendid Lastings...

KNOW YOUR PLACE, ROOK!

The hand-scrawled message hung above Lastings Milledge’s locker after Friday’s 4-3 victory over the Nationals. At the bottom of the two sheets of paper was written, “Your Teammates.”

...The reason? According to one person familiar with the situation, Milledge - whose reputation is deteriorating quickly - mouthed off to a veteran teammate in Atlanta. Friday’s rebuke followed. Apparently, his teammates are becoming more and more annoyed by Milledge’s attitude.

“How much does it take to finally wake up?” the person said. “How long before you realize the way you’re acting is the opposite of how you should be acting? Fine. Stay asleep, then.”

Repoz Posted: September 30, 2006 at 11:50 AM | 186 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: mets

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2
   101. 1k5v3L Posted: September 30, 2006 at 10:02 PM (#2192734)
Sure, Base. Whatever. Do something about it. Maybe you should sue me? You've been threatening to sue me for years now, I'm still waiting to hear from your lawyers.
   102. Cowboy Popup Posted: September 30, 2006 at 10:02 PM (#2192735)
"the only place i KNOW it is true bout females abusing/hazing new females joining a group is gangs."

There was a huge scandal at Northwestern earlier this year or maybe at the very end of last year. It's pretty much common practice at D-1 school and some highschools (my high school the field hockey freshmen had to mud wrestle in front of the football team, that was cool, and the volleyball team wore just police tape to school one day at a neighboring high school). Srats (Sororities) are bad too. I dated a pledge trainer at Ursinus and they do some wicked #### to their girls there. I mean, we do bad things to our pledges at school, but some of the stuff girls do is downright cruel and damaging pyschologically.
   103. Rob Base Posted: September 30, 2006 at 10:03 PM (#2192736)
Sure, Base. Whatever. Do something about it. Maybe you should sue me? You've been threatening to sue me for years now, I'm still waiting to hear from your lawyers.

I am doing something. I'm showing up and calling you a racist a$$hole, you racist a$$hole.
   104. 1k5v3L Posted: September 30, 2006 at 10:05 PM (#2192737)
Back to topic at hand, with Pedro gone, what is the Mets rotation in the playoffs?

El Duque, Glavine, Trachsel, Maine?

I'm sure the wild card team is really scared right now...
   105. Sam M. Posted: September 30, 2006 at 10:06 PM (#2192739)
I am grimly determined to find a silver lining to the news on Pedro. If the surgery goes well, and he comes back strong, having him start his season in June will be all to the good. We know the Mets can dominate the NL without him; I'd rather have him strong in the second half, and beyond, than for the first two months.
   106. Sam M. Posted: September 30, 2006 at 10:09 PM (#2192742)
I'm sure the wild card team is really scared right now...

It looks likely the wild card team will be the Dodgers. You think the Mets are scared of Maddux, Lowe, and Kuo? Penny appears doubtful. Shall we compare line-ups?

These things are relative, Levski.
   107. Cowboy Popup Posted: September 30, 2006 at 10:11 PM (#2192743)
"We know the Mets can dominate the NL without him"

Really, there's no reason to worry. You're in Yankee land right now, you can afford to wait it out and see with injured players, especially ones with that kind of upside. Hell, if you sign a pitcher like Zito or Schmidt, you're probably going to be a better team then you are now, and I don't think anyone in the division figures to take a big step foward next year. Out of curiosity, are there other notable cases of this kind of surgery and what happened to the players who underwent them?
   108. 1k5v3L Posted: September 30, 2006 at 10:11 PM (#2192744)
Pedro's health basically means that the Mets will have to add two premier starters next year instead of one; if they have Glavine back, they'll need two good starters before slotting Maine and Pelfrey/Humber in the back of the rotation. That may also mean that the Mets would be forced to trade Milledge for a starter unless they want to overpay for two free agent starters.

Sam, how strong do you think Pedro will be after coming back next year? I doubt he amounts to anything more than a league average innings eater. If the Mets are lucky.
   109. Halofan Posted: September 30, 2006 at 10:12 PM (#2192745)
baseball chick:

When a group of MEN are in close quarters, they inevitably gang up on the weakest.
When a group of WOMEN are in close quarters, they inevitably gang up on the strongest.
   110. 1k5v3L Posted: September 30, 2006 at 10:13 PM (#2192746)
On paper, Sam, the Padres and Dodgers shouldn't beat the Mets. In reality, both of those teams are very good and have been playing excellent baseball recently. The Mets cannot be considered favorites against them right now; at best, they'd be very very slight favorites, mostly due to home field advantage...
   111. Rob Base Posted: September 30, 2006 at 10:14 PM (#2192748)
Sam, how strong do you think Pedro will be after coming back next year? I doubt he amounts to anything more than a league average innings eater. If the Mets are lucky.

Sounds like a prime candidate for the top of the D-Backs' rotation. If Livan Hernandez is done with it yet.
   112. 1k5v3L Posted: September 30, 2006 at 10:16 PM (#2192752)
Actually, Pedro right now would be AZ's third best starter, fourth if you like Batista.
   113. Sam M. Posted: September 30, 2006 at 10:17 PM (#2192754)
Pedro's health basically means that the Mets will have to add two premier starters next year instead of one; if they have Glavine back, they'll need two good starters before slotting Maine and Pelfrey/Humber in the back of the rotation. That may also mean that the Mets would be forced to trade Milledge for a starter unless they want to overpay for two free agent starters.

IMHO, that's just really wrong. They don't need "two premier starters." I do agree that this eliminates the option of going for ZERO FA starters. I think they will need to go for one, and exercise Glavine's option. FA/Glavine/Maine/Pelfrey/Bannister (or El Duque, re-signed) would be just fine until Pedro gets back, and/or until Humber is ready. Remember, with the Mets' bullpen and offense, they don't need a dominant rotation. The one thing Omar doesn't need to do, and won't do, is overreact for a short-term solution.

Before this, I thought staying out of the whole Schmidt/Zito/Matsuzaka bidding was really an option. Now, I think they probably have to go for ONE of them.
   114. Rob Base Posted: September 30, 2006 at 10:18 PM (#2192756)
Actually, Pedro right now would be AZ's third best starter, fourth if you like Batista.

Considering he has a torn calf and a torn rotator cuff, I'd say that's remarkably bad news for Arizona. Hope those hyped prospects pan out. And learn to pitch.
   115. Шĥy Posted: September 30, 2006 at 10:19 PM (#2192757)
but some of the stuff girls do is downright cruel and damaging pyschologically.

I assume you are talking about the notorious stories of sorority pledges having to get naked and let frat brothers mark the imperfections of their bodies with magic marker. That's probably worse than most stuff that any frat could do. At my school though, the sororities just give presents to the pledges.
   116. Sam M. Posted: September 30, 2006 at 10:21 PM (#2192758)
The Mets cannot be considered favorites against them right now; at best, they'd be very very slight favorites, mostly due to home field advantage...

Believe what you want. Any five-game series is going to be a dicey proposition, no doubt. But once we take that as a given, the Mets are a strong favorite over either of those two teams. They have a far, far better offense than either team. And their overall pitching is much better than the Dodgers (counting the bullpen).
   117. Cowboy Popup Posted: September 30, 2006 at 10:23 PM (#2192759)
"Before this, I thought staying out of the whole Schmidt/Zito/Matsuzaka bidding was really an option."

Why would you want to stay out of the bidding? You're the Mets, you have money to burn, There's no one to sign for second, you're probably gonna get burned in left (unless you get Soriano, who still might burn you), and pouring big money into the bullpen isn't really a good idea. That leaves you with starting pitching. Say what you will about Zito, but the man is flat out healthy and is as safe a bet to pitch 200 innings every year of what ever contract you sign him as any free agent pitcher that I've seen in my lifetime. That's something a team like the Mets (big offense, good d, and pitching that is uncertain) should put a premium on IMO.
   118. The Wilpons Must Go (Tom D) Posted: September 30, 2006 at 10:25 PM (#2192762)
I just came from Disney World.

Surgery? Next June?
   119. Cowboy Popup Posted: September 30, 2006 at 10:28 PM (#2192764)
"I assume you are talking about the notorious stories of sorority pledges having to get naked and let frat brothers mark the imperfections of their bodies with magic marker."

That's one thing, but there's also forced eating disorders, forced sex and exposing crushes and personal secrets to fraternities. All of those I thought were particurlarly cruel things to do to young women in their first year at school.

"That's probably worse than most stuff that any frat could do."

I've seen some stuff, some awful stuff (I've done some awful stuff) and I would agree. There is the occasional broken bone or addiction to acohol that comes out of pledgeships, but even the KAs don't destroy people the way sororities do.

"At my school though, the sororities just give presents to the pledges."

Same at my school.
   120. Banta Posted: September 30, 2006 at 10:33 PM (#2192772)
So, when did this happen? Did Pedro have this tear all along? Or did he injure it in trying to comeback? Either way, this seems like something that shouldn't have been allowed to happen.
   121. AJMcCringleberry Posted: September 30, 2006 at 10:54 PM (#2192797)
They don't need "two premier starters." I do agree that this eliminates the option of going for ZERO FA starters. I think they will need to go for one, and exercise Glavine's option. FA/Glavine/Maine/Pelfrey/Bannister (or El Duque, re-signed) would be just fine until Pedro gets back, and/or until Humber is ready.

I partially agree. We don't need 2 premier FAs, but I'd rather not pick up Glavine's option, I'd sign a second tier guy.

My rotation, until Pedro returns, for next year would be Schmidt/Maine/Pelfrey/FA/someone in the organization.
   122. WillYoung Posted: September 30, 2006 at 10:55 PM (#2192799)
Would you 2 knock it off?
   123. The Wilpons Must Go (Tom D) Posted: September 30, 2006 at 11:05 PM (#2192807)
I don't believe in curses. But if I run into Rob Base while out to dinner, I'm going to learn how to write with my left hand.
   124. base ball chick Posted: September 30, 2006 at 11:13 PM (#2192823)
Cowboy Popup is no longer part of The System Posted: September 30, 2006 at 06:02 PM (#2192735)

"the only place i KNOW it is true bout females abusing/hazing new females joining a group is gangs."

There was a huge scandal at Northwestern earlier this year or maybe at the very end of last year. It's pretty much common practice at D-1 school and some highschools (my high school the field hockey freshmen had to mud wrestle in front of the football team, that was cool, and the volleyball team wore just police tape to school one day at a neighboring high school). Srats (Sororities) are bad too. I dated a pledge trainer at Ursinus and they do some wicked #### to their girls there. I mean, we do bad things to our pledges at school, but some of the stuff girls do is downright cruel and damaging pyschologically.

i guess sororities just like gangs - just richer whiter females. are the rookies made to do illegal stuff, drugs, made to have sex with other gang members or other guys like the football team, stuff like that?

- sigh. i just don't guess i will ever understand joining a group of people who you KNOW will humiliate and abuse you. with grrrl gangs it is getting raped by the lowest number of monsters and you don't really have no other family anyhow. but rich white grrrls?

i just guess i seen so much abuse in my life and what happens when you get abused. i can NOT understand how anyone would WANT to hurt/abuse other people. and i can't understand how it HELPS the person being abused be a better person and work better with teammates

every time yall guys talk about college i am glad i got the heck out of skool the day i was legal. college sounds like the projects. just without the guns.

- and females are 1000x more vicious and cruel then males are. you know that with the apache tribe, captured enemies were given to the females NOT the males for torture - we did a MUCH better job
   125. J. Cross Posted: September 30, 2006 at 11:16 PM (#2192826)

This might depend on whether he's currently on local or general anesthesia. If he's out cold, I think he probably slots in behind three Arizona starters but if he's already out of surgery and just gorggy and disoriented I think he'd still be their number two.
   126. Mike Emeigh Posted: September 30, 2006 at 11:19 PM (#2192829)
SD's in. LA's in. Phillies are out. LA's the wild card unless they beat the Giants and the Diamondbacks beat the Padres tomorrow.

Mets were 5-2 against SD, 4-3 against LA.

-- MWE
   127. 1k5v3L Posted: September 30, 2006 at 11:35 PM (#2192835)
This might depend on whether he's currently on local or general anesthesia. If he's out cold, I think he probably slots in behind three Arizona starters but if he's already out of surgery and just gorggy and disoriented I think he'd still be their number two.

Nice. Who said Mets fans didn't have a sense of humor?

Webb is pitching for the NL Cy Young tomorrow. Unfortunately, it appears all mediots out there have decided to vote for anyone BUT Webb... even though he rightfully deserves the award. If he wins, and the Dodgers win, the Mets will play the Padres.

The Padres have won the season series against LA so that they'd win the division if the two teams end up with identical records.
   128. A big pile of nonsense (gef the talking mongoose) Posted: September 30, 2006 at 11:54 PM (#2192849)
every time yall guys talk about college i am glad i got the heck out of skool the day i was legal. college sounds like the projects. just without the guns.

Me, I've never been able to grasp the appeal of joining a frat or (were I female, which I'm not) sorority, & deep down I truly question the judgment -- heck, maybe even the sanity -- of those who do. Of course, my last two girlfriends were sorority members during their college days, with the current one having been president of hers, so perhaps I'm the one with sanity issues. (Which certainly would come as no surprise to anyone who's ever been around me for any length of time, sad to say.)
   129. Yeaarrgghhhh Posted: October 01, 2006 at 12:03 AM (#2192860)
The two of you need to shut the hell up.
   130. Eraser-X is emphatically dominating teh site!!! Posted: October 01, 2006 at 12:52 AM (#2192905)
Actually, I see ganging up on the weakest or the strongest in a collaborative situation to be the sign of a poor team player no matter the lasting tradition.
   131. Kyle S Posted: October 01, 2006 at 01:00 AM (#2192916)
fraternities certainly aren't for everyone, but i had a fantastic experience with mine. besides bonding with a group of guys i'll call friends for the rest of my life, i learned a lot of things that i never picked up in my classes or in other organizations... moderating disagreements, motivating people, leadingership, how to make guests feel comfortable, etc. the pledge experience doesn't make a lot of sense to those on the outside (and hell to those on the inside sometimes) but it is usually very good at forming a strong bond and sense of camaraderie among the pledges.

i don't know for sure, but i assume that baseball hazing is done for the same reasons. i remember seeing pictures of all the braves rookies dressed in drag last season, and to a man they had sh**-eating grins and seem to get along great with each other these days.

now, as i also said before, the process doesn't work with everyone. some kids feel picked on or ostracised [sp?], or just don't have the ability to either grin and bear or it to laugh at themselves. usually, in my experience, the kids who think they are the hot shots have the hardest time with being humbled and/or embarrassed -- i think that's probably what milledge is like. (all this is not to excuse the sometimes inappropriate singling-out or tormenting that goes on... i think that's sh**ty)

anyway, one way or another, milledge is going to have to learn to get along with his teammates. he doesn't have to be buddy-buddy with everyone, but he needs to at least earn enough respect that people don't feel motivated to leave notes in his locker. i guarantee you that every player in that met lockerroom is very sensitive to "manliness" in the sense of "if you have something to say, say it to my face" which makes me worry about how much of a rift there must be for milledge.

i think he'll be okay in the long run, but a lot of that falls squarely on his shoulders. i hope he has a role model that he can look up to and talk to about it.
   132. Kyle S Posted: October 01, 2006 at 01:04 AM (#2192923)
leadingership

oops, i had a misimpression that i had changed "leading" to "leadership." a gw bush moment :)
   133. Rob Base Posted: October 01, 2006 at 02:38 AM (#2192975)

Yeah, the street seems to have educated you just fine.
   134. E., Hinske Posted: October 01, 2006 at 02:53 AM (#2192984)
134 made me laugh out loud.
   135. Bob Koo Posted: October 01, 2006 at 03:25 AM (#2193004)
Why would you want to stay out of the bidding? You're the Mets, you have money to burn, There's no one to sign for second, you're probably gonna get burned in left (unless you get Soriano, who still might burn you), and pouring big money into the bullpen isn't really a good idea. That leaves you with starting pitching. Say what you will about Zito, but the man is flat out healthy and is as safe a bet to pitch 200 innings every year of what ever contract you sign him as any free agent pitcher that I've seen in my lifetime. That's something a team like the Mets (big offense, good d, and pitching that is uncertain) should put a premium on IMO.

Wow, I actually agree with a Yankees fan, for once. You couldn't have explained the argument to sign Zito in the off-season any better.

For a team that will carry a combination of aging starters (Glavine, Pedro when he returns) and young and unpredictable starters (Maine, Pelfrey, Bannister, Perez, etc.), signing Zito is the best solution for 2007.
   136. base ball chick Posted: October 01, 2006 at 04:23 AM (#2193071)
Traditional Family Values Since 2006 (Rob Base) Posted: September 30, 2006 at 10:38 PM (#2192975)

Yeah, the street seems to have educated you just fine.

In fact, the "streets" as compared to the school system, proved to be an infinitely superior educator. The school teachers and administrators are an ill-tempered aggregate of pompous pig-headed know it all pricks, exactly like yourself, as rigid, incompetent, intolerant, judgemental, unimaginitive, self righteous and egomaniacal.

Incidentally, it would behoove you to restrain yourself from accusing others of racism as you yourself are not free from its taint.

Sincerely yours,
"Redneck"
   137. Benji Posted: October 01, 2006 at 04:32 AM (#2193080)
Back to Milledge for a second. It seems that since he was drafted the Met media has either tried to get him traded for a "name" (read someone easier to interview for those lazy bastards) or to make him the Met answer to Terrell Owens. Either way it makes their job easier.

Remember the ridiculous flack over him slapping hands with the fans after a huge HR? If St Derek, Melky or the new Godhead Cano has done that it would have shown the tremendous love they had for New York and fans in general. But since it was Milledge it was sinister and an affront to Armando Benitez, who we all know NEVER got treated like crap in the papers.

Cliff Floyd said "the veterans will take care of him" and they will. He's a kid for Christ's sake and he is somehow expected to have the maturity of a Delgado or Glavine. These things are bumps in the road.
   138. E., Hinske Posted: October 01, 2006 at 04:44 AM (#2193100)
Can someone clarify bbc's story for me at this point? I ripped her once about a post wherein she acknowledged not reading something and she responded that she was dyslexic (IIRC, some sort of legitimate medical reason explaining the failure to read). I felt like a dick and apologized. Now what...did someone else write that Base snark for her? What's the current reason for her poorly written posts? Am I allowed to point out that they are in fact migraine inducing or should I just be quietly tolerating them because she's got a reading disability/lack of education?

Update? There really needs to be an ongoing thread for people like her and Gagne, just so that the less frequent Primates have some understanding with what's going on.
   139. 1k5v3L Posted: October 01, 2006 at 04:53 AM (#2193109)
I'm sure Base accused b-chick of racism at one point or another.

In between, he's insulted her numerous times. He's called her tons of names that she most certainly didn't deserve, and she certainly didn't provoke him, as far as I can tell. It really comes down to the fact that Base is your typical passive-aggressive a$$hole who's gets humiliated plenty in real life and decides to take it on people on message boards. Mostly people like b-chick who stand out for one reason or another (i.e., she's a woman, she chooses to write in an interesting way, and she doesn't get bother much by petty idiots like Base, for example)...
   140. villainx Posted: October 01, 2006 at 05:30 AM (#2193129)
If St Derek, Melky or the new Godhead Cano has done that it would have shown the tremendous love they had for New York and fans in general.

Isn't the point that St Derek, Melky, Cano etc haven't done what Milledge did exactly the point? I sure do hope Milledge develops and all that, but by all account (read and watched on television) Milledge is going to be a bit of a problem. Hopefully, he'll be worth the headache (ie, as good as Reyes or Wright or even Heilman/Maine), and he'll have to be.
   141. base ball chick Posted: October 01, 2006 at 05:34 AM (#2193131)
E., Hinske Posted: October 01, 2006 at 12:44 AM (#2193100)

Now what...did someone else write that Base snark for her?

- grinning
well, lets just say it got edited by someone who got a lot more IQ and degrees then rob base

What's the current reason for her poorly written posts?

i dont pass them thru a grammar and spelling program then an editor like i do when i write my blog

i didn't learn to read until i left school
   142. Norcan Posted: October 01, 2006 at 05:36 AM (#2193132)
Of course it's a tradition for rookies to dress up in ridiculous outfits but in the context of Milledge eating alone and being a social pariah, the dress thing is more invidious. Instead of an occasion to bond and laugh with your teammates, it could be taken as your teammates picking on you and trying to put you in your place. Especially since this was the second time and he had already yucked it up with veterans before through the magical spectacle of an outlandish outfit.

I feel for the kid. Ever since he gave high-fives to imaginary teammates after hitting a homerun and getting the silent treatment, I've liked him. But it does sound like he has to make some changes. His teammates in triple-a were said to not be all that fond of him either, which doesn't mean Milledge is a bad guy but for his sake and the sake of clubhouse chemistry, maybe he has to change something.

Also, I wouldn't say Milledge is a bad outfielder, just that he's playing out of position. Scouts had said he looked lost when he played a corner outfield position in the Arizona Fall League. Perhaps he just needs more time there after playing center exclusively for most of his baseball years or maybe his instincts and vision are best suited for center for whatever reason.
   143. Benji Posted: October 01, 2006 at 06:58 AM (#2193161)
bc, I love your posts. Except when you call our Beltran "jackal".
   144. Jorge Luis Bourjos (Walewander) Posted: October 01, 2006 at 07:26 AM (#2193164)
Hey bbc,

f*ck the haters, you're one of my favourite posters...
   145. base ball chick Posted: October 01, 2006 at 07:41 AM (#2193173)
levski and benji and walewander

i might could not always understand yall boys but i luuvvv all yall just the same

hugnkiss

bbc
   146. Yoenis Cespedes, Baseball Savant Posted: October 01, 2006 at 10:38 AM (#2193191)
Speaking of posting institutions, has The Jim scrubbed any and all information related to (and posts by) battlefob? Because I'd like an A's playoff post touting Billy Beane for Speaker of the House while insulting the ever-present "haters" (the Angels, ESPN, most of the media, Joe Morgan) with a vulgar stream-of-consciousness rant alleging that they're involved in a pedophilia ring with Mark Foley.

O battlefob, Where Art Thou?
   147. Dan Broderick Posted: October 01, 2006 at 12:20 PM (#2193199)
Sam,

An 8-track tape of Greetings From Asbury Park...is worth a lot more than Shawn Green. Omar got robbed on that one.
   148. NTNgod Posted: October 01, 2006 at 12:23 PM (#2193200)
An 8-track tape of Greetings From Asbury Park...is worth a lot more than Shawn Green.

We don't know what condition that 8-track was in, though.

If it was pretty beat up, Arizona should have at least insisted on one of those 8-track K-Tel compilations being including in the deal.
   149. HowardMegdal Posted: October 01, 2006 at 04:46 PM (#2193355)
"They could have signed Preston Wilson, who's 10x better than Shawn Green, right-handed, wanted to sign with the Mets, and wouldn't have taken up a roster spot for 2007. Please don't defend that deal; it was terrible."

I was on my honeymoon at that time; was Wilson available before they traded for Green, or after?
   150. Banta Posted: October 01, 2006 at 04:54 PM (#2193360)
Wilson was available before.
   151. HowardMegdal Posted: October 01, 2006 at 05:17 PM (#2193377)
Then I don't get it. Green > Nothing, given their needs at the time, but Wilson makes more sense.
   152. Шĥy Posted: October 01, 2006 at 06:49 PM (#2193510)
From the Daily News:

When he was asked, the backup outfielder said, "I don't need this (stuff). Draw your own conclusions."

"I felt like it shouldn't have gone this far," he said. "I didn't think I offended anybody, but I guess I did and I was wrong."

Two sources in the clubhouse fingered Billy Wagner as the culprit. He denied it, though the closer has been critical of the way young players in the Philadelphia organization were coddled when he was there.
   153. rr Posted: October 01, 2006 at 07:05 PM (#2193521)
The school teachers and administrators are an ill-tempered aggregate of pompous pig-headed know it all pricks, exactly like yourself, as rigid, incompetent, intolerant, judgemental, unimaginitive, self righteous and egomaniacal.

I hope my man E-X appreciates this as much as I do. Just to be clear, I am incompetent and unimaginative, while he is self-righteous and egomaniacal, so between us, we have most of the bases covered on beahlf of the teachers.
   154. base ball chick Posted: October 01, 2006 at 08:15 PM (#2193685)
robin

guess it should have said -

the teachers/administrators in MY district WERE...

but seeing how the editors job was to find big words to tell rob base he a doodoo head that the nanny wouldn't nanny, she didn't get it quiiiite right...
   155. Rob Base Posted: October 01, 2006 at 08:21 PM (#2193696)

Incidentally, it would behoove you to restrain yourself from accusing others of racism as you yourself are not free from its taint.

Yes I am, you ignorant, mean-spirited, cunnt.
   156. rr Posted: October 01, 2006 at 08:23 PM (#2193702)
.robin

guess it should have said -

the teachers/administrators in MY district WERE...

No problem; people trash teachers all the time. Plus, you may be in a bad mood with the Astros coming up short today. ;-) I was one of a bunch of folks who wrote into Steven Goldman when he #### on teachers with a broad generalization in a BPro chat. To his credit, he wrote back to me (and many others AFAIK) and then amended the statement to say it reflected his experience with teachers, rather than all teachers, on the Pinstriped Blog.

I used to teach in a center for adults who were going back to school to get HS diplomas; some of the stuff they told me about teachers they had was ###### up, so I know how it can be, from that and from my days in the public schools.
   157. Rob Base Posted: October 01, 2006 at 08:26 PM (#2193706)
In between, he's insulted her numerous times. He's called her tons of names that she most certainly didn't deserve, and she certainly didn't provoke him, as far as I can tell. It really comes down to the fact that Base is your typical passive-aggressive a$$hole who's gets humiliated plenty in real life and decides to take it on people on message boards. Mostly people like b-chick who stand out for one reason or another (i.e., she's a woman, she chooses to write in an interesting way, and she doesn't get bother much by petty idiots like Base, for example)...

That's it. Make enough noise and maybe people will forget that the reason you're hateful is that you're a racist a$$hole. Probably won't work, but I guess you need to say something.
   158. rr Posted: October 01, 2006 at 08:30 PM (#2193713)
Wonder if Furtado and Szymborski will shut this down.
   159. HowardMegdal Posted: October 01, 2006 at 08:41 PM (#2193737)
We're forgetting the real victim here: Lastings Milledge. Also, the children.
   160. Eraser-X is emphatically dominating teh site!!! Posted: October 01, 2006 at 08:49 PM (#2193767)

No problem; people trash teachers all the time. Plus, you may be in a bad mood with the Astros coming up short today. ;-) I was one of a bunch of folks who wrote into Steven Goldman when he #### on teachers with a broad generalization in a BPro chat. To his credit, he wrote back to me (and many others AFAIK) and then amended the statement to say it reflected his experience with teachers, rather than all teachers, on the Pinstriped Blog.

Well, I'll give him props for amending himself. But I'm not a big fan--he seems to be very slow to revise his stances on baseball even after there is a wealth of evidence against it. He continued to rip Kenny Williams as an idiot (with bigger words) through the middle of last seasons.

Most of us teachers are very poorly trained. If it was up to me, teaching would require a four-year professional school with lots of classroom time in multiple environments. I don't think there are too many people in any group, even if you took a class of law school or med school kids who could just get dropped in an under-funded, low support inner city school with a racial barrier and thrive.

There's something to be said for people who take on the most challenging jobs in the society and do their very best.
   161. The Wilpons Must Go (Tom D) Posted: October 01, 2006 at 09:02 PM (#2193809)
I just predicted Omar wouldn't resist the temptation to get his hands on a proven cigar roller and silver slugger with a gold glove.

I guess this is the offending remark. I would add that El Duque could be trained to roll cigars and probably become quite proficient, while Green will under no circumstances ever again be a silver slugger with a gold glove.
   162. 1k5v3L Posted: October 01, 2006 at 09:07 PM (#2193821)
Just for the record, the "cigar rolling" offense started off as a jocular reference to the Seinfelt episode where Kramer asked for three Cubans for his new cigar rolling business. When the Mets got El Duque from NY, I wrote something to the effect that Omar needed to acquire Livan as well to get his cigar rolling business started. Someone obviously didn't find that funny...
   163. Rob Base Posted: October 01, 2006 at 09:12 PM (#2193845)
Just for the record, the "cigar rolling" offense started off as a jocular reference to the Seinfelt episode where Kramer asked for three Cubans for his new cigar rolling business. When the Mets got El Duque from NY, I wrote something to the effect that Omar needed to acquire Livan as well to get his cigar rolling business started. Someone obviously didn't find that funny...

Which Seinfeld episode spawned your "Mariachi band" comments? I'm sure I've seen them all a number of times.
   164. The Wilpons Must Go (Tom D) Posted: October 01, 2006 at 09:18 PM (#2193863)
Someone obviously didn't find that funny...

Well, it really isn't. But bad humor is not a crime. A hard core racist would probably focus on Green.

As of right now, Milledge projects as the Mets #2 OF going into 2007. There will obviously be some moves made, but that's where things stand right now.
   165. base ball chick Posted: October 01, 2006 at 09:27 PM (#2193891)
robin and eraser-X

thing is in school at least where me and my brothers went

you get judged when you 6 years old and they put you in a category and there you stay for the rest of your life

once they say you dumb, you bad,

well its like you are david eckstein and you gotta convince people that a 5'6" 155 lb guy who "throws like a grrrl" can actually play ML baseball because they are MORE determined to show there stereotypes are perfect so they wil be right and you cant - then they are to give you any chance to see what you got.

- it also makes me real sad so many people here cant wait to complain how i am not no sam m/srul itza/albert einstein. i don't hear - hey good grrrrl you learn SOME reading and writing even if it is not perfect. like if i dont write like a law professor i should not write at all especially here where anyone who love baseball and want to talk about it need to be a man with high sat and degrees and know all the grammar rules and never make no mistakes about them.

not all baseball players gonna be albert pujols. some of us gonna be manny alexander. but it don't mean we cant play at ALL
   166. A big pile of nonsense (gef the talking mongoose) Posted: October 01, 2006 at 09:33 PM (#2193918)
Well, said, bc.

Several months ago, I complained about your posts, too. If I didn't apologize sufficiently then, I do now.

As the kids say these days, you rock.
   167. A big pile of nonsense (gef the talking mongoose) Posted: October 01, 2006 at 09:35 PM (#2193922)
If I didn't apologize sufficiently then, I hope I do now.

Duh.
   168. Eraser-X is emphatically dominating teh site!!! Posted: October 01, 2006 at 09:35 PM (#2193925)
BBC, that sounds like more of the systemic problems we are facing. People use stereotyping and categories more often when they are overtaxed. Most school teachers these days are faced with over-labelled children and tons of paperwork that takes away from preparation and assessment time.

That's not an excuse, but it does make them more likely to passively accept the labels which have been placed upon students.
   169. base ball chick Posted: October 01, 2006 at 09:40 PM (#2193939)
forgot

no i guess i am in a sad mood not bad mood my stros lost

they were just not a good enough team this year and i am actually grateful we finished over .500 so i can write a real mature letter with big words to dan szymborsky saying

you said we wouldn't even be at .500 at the end of the year

well you was RONGGGGG

HA
HA
HA HAAAAAAA
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

- something like that

of course a whole lot of other experts they said the same thing but guessing is not the same as fact because its baseball and guys slump when they not supposed to or get hottern they supposed to and balls drop and umps screw up denkingery calls so youneverknow

ok ok

manny alexander won't never hit like no albert pujols no matter HOW many roids/greenies/hgh he shoots up

so some stuff you DO know
   170. Rob Base Posted: October 01, 2006 at 09:46 PM (#2193960)
For the record, I think my teachers growing up were miserable (most of them, anyway), and I was not branded as one of the dumb kids like bbc here.
   171. Rob Base Posted: October 01, 2006 at 09:48 PM (#2193969)
Also for the record, I would return to college in a second.
   172. rr Posted: October 01, 2006 at 09:55 PM (#2193981)
- it also makes me real sad so many people here cant wait to complain how i am not no sam m/srul itza/albert einstein.

Well, I think it's only a few people. Wonder how many times Sam and Srul have been grouped with Einstein? One of my jobs now is at the border between SD and Mex--I teach English comp at a center underwritten by the community college district. You can see Mexico from my classroom window, so even though it is not technically an ESL class, most of the students are ESL and have some major grammar and vocab stuff going on in terms of "standard English." One thing I always tell them is that there is not always a direct relationship between the quality of the idea and the type of language used to express it.

And, as E-X, I, and others hit on last time this came up, dialects have rules, just like "standard English." So the term "bad grammar" is kind of contextual, cultural, and a bit of a misnomer.

not all baseball players gonna be albert pujols. some of us gonna be manny alexander. but it don't mean we cant play at ALL

Well, Manny is on the juice, IMO. E-X is right--it is a systemic issue, which does not absolve teachers, students, parents and admin types from responsibilty, it is still some complicated ####. Besides, this is a ####### discussion board, not a grad-school Linguistics seminar. So don't worry about it.
   173. base ball chick Posted: October 01, 2006 at 10:04 PM (#2193996)
Traditional Family Values Since 2006 (Rob Base) Posted: October 01, 2006 at 04:21 PM (#2193696)

...you ignorant, mean-spirited, cunnt.

- oh my
the c-word
what is next - the N-word?

not sure why you have gone waaay out of your way to attack me for years

hmmmmmmm

what were the words she used?

ill-tempered - correct
pompous - correct
pig-headed - correct
know it all - oops
pricks - no, that is giving you too much credit, sorry
rigid - correct
incompetent - well with manners, most definitely
intolerant - DUH
judgemental - double DUH
unimaginitive - same insult - you too stupid to finish school - yeap, thats right
self righteous - fer SHER
egomaniacal - now THIS one is wrong. you can't have much of any kind of ego if you got to feel better about yourself picking on some poor grrrl

i think she should have added

hateful
spiteful

and husband he just told me not to get into a pissing cointest with you

its not nice because you obviously got nothing to piss with
   174. Russlan is fond of Dillon Gee Posted: October 01, 2006 at 10:06 PM (#2193999)
I haven't been around much in what has been a tumultuous week for the Mets because I've been busy and my computer died. Here some thoughts:

I'm really upset/surprised about Pedro. He was pitching so well to start the season and hadn't really had an injury to his arm that cost him time in 5 years. His numbers in May were sick (42 IP, 55/6 K/BB, .74 WHIP, 4 homers, 2.14 ERA) and it looked like he was going to compete for the NL Cy Young. He wasn't throwing as hard but the performance was still pretty amazing. I certainly had no idea on June 1st that he would need rotator cuff surgery. I'm no expert but I generally equate rotator cuff surgeries with the end of a effectiveness for a starter. The only reason I hold out some hope is that Pedro has shown he can be good at 86-88 MPH. Still, this is a disaster and might signal the end of one of the game's greatest pitchers.

Milledge's attitude is disturbing. The Met clubhouse is pretty much the optimal place for a young cocky kid to develop. I think Milledge has a chance to be a great player and don't think the Mets should trade him but it is disappointing that you are hearing stuff like this.

I still think the Mets can win the WS but the bullpen is going to have to be huge.
   175. Francoeur Sans Gages (AlouGoodbye) Posted: October 01, 2006 at 10:10 PM (#2194004)
We're forgetting the real victim here: Lastings Milledge. Also, the children.
Not to mention the children who are victims of Lastings Milledge.
   176. DCA Posted: October 01, 2006 at 10:14 PM (#2194007)
Besides, this is a ####### discussion board, not a grad-school Linguistics seminar. So don't worry about it.

Uh oh. I have an sinking feeling that I'm not doing as well in my Modern American Syntax class as I thought I was.
   177. rr Posted: October 01, 2006 at 10:22 PM (#2194011)
I have an sinking feeling that I'm not doing as well in my Modern American Syntax class as I thought I was

No, probably not. j/k/a
   178. Rob Base Posted: October 01, 2006 at 10:25 PM (#2194013)

...you ignorant, mean-spirited, cunnt.

- oh my
the c-word
what is next - the N-word?

Right, because everybody who thinks you're sporting some kind of brain injury is a racist.
   179. 1k5v3L Posted: October 01, 2006 at 10:46 PM (#2194028)
re: post 174.

b-chick, you just wasted your time. base obviously suffers from some severe mental and emotional problems, and nothing you say or write would make a difference to him. he'll most likely end up going postal some day and killing a whole bunch of innocent people...
   180. Rob Base Posted: October 01, 2006 at 10:54 PM (#2194034)
Got an explanation for your Mariachi comment or not?
   181. Shalimar Posted: October 01, 2006 at 11:49 PM (#2194061)
you ignorant, mean-spirited, cunnt.

Congratulations, you won the biggest-assshole-on-the-thread award. Please shut up now.
   182. Shalimar Posted: October 01, 2006 at 11:50 PM (#2194062)
(Rob Base) Posted: October 01, 2006 at 04:21 PM (#2193696)
you ignorant, mean-spirited, cunnt.

Congratulations, you won the biggest-assshole-on-the-thread award. Please shut up now.
   183. Rob Base Posted: October 02, 2006 at 12:01 AM (#2194068)

You're a racist.
   184. Shalimar Posted: October 02, 2006 at 11:32 AM (#2194329)
Please go see a psychiatrist, you need to readjust your meds.
   185. Jim Furtado Posted: October 02, 2006 at 11:46 PM (#2194977)
I received a few warranted complaints about this thread. The troublesome posters will shortly be getting an e-mail.
Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
greenback calls it soccer
for his generous support.