Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Sunday, September 23, 2012

NL playoff race: September 23, 2012

NL Wildcard

ATL 88-65 [14-7 in SEPT] (6 GA)
STL 82-71 [11-10 in SEPT]
MIL 79-73 [16-5 in SEPT] (2.5 GB)
LAD 79-74 [9-11 in SEPT] (3 GB)

The Chase for .500

PIT 75-77 [5-16 in SEPT]

MLB.com: Braves inch closer to playoff berth on Hudson’s gem
MLB.com: Lohse, Cardinals maintain slim Wild Card lead
MLB.com: Seventh-inning rally gets Crew back on track
MLB.com: Adrian’s blasts keep Dodgers three back in WC

MLB.com: Burnett stellar, gets plenty of support as Bucs win

NTNgod Posted: September 23, 2012 at 05:54 PM | 21 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: braves, brewers, cardinals, dodgers, pennant race

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Sleepy supports unauthorized rambling Posted: September 23, 2012 at 08:59 PM (#4243857)
GO REDS
   2. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: September 23, 2012 at 09:25 PM (#4243870)
Good bye Phils. It was nice to track you on the Wildcard standings while it lasted.
   3. Spivey Posted: September 23, 2012 at 09:52 PM (#4243883)
Let's go Milwaukee!!!!
   4. boteman Posted: September 24, 2012 at 12:21 AM (#4243942)
Well, the Nationals had to mail in a boner of a game sooner or later so this must have been it. It was dropsies day apparently as nobody seemed to remember how to field the batted ball. Maybe next year. :-(
   5. McCoy Posted: September 24, 2012 at 12:34 AM (#4243946)
What, no chase for 100 for the Cubs?
   6. Joyful Calculus Instructor Posted: September 24, 2012 at 01:30 AM (#4243950)
I think you can safely remove the Braves from future postings. Only the second wild card is any sort of race at this point.
   7. with Glavinesque control and Madduxian poise Posted: September 24, 2012 at 02:03 AM (#4243952)
The Braves are closer to the Nationals than they are to the Cards.
   8. CFBF Is A Golden Spider Duck Posted: September 24, 2012 at 02:43 AM (#4243953)
Be quiet, all of you. Do you want to tempt the wrath of the whatever from high atop the thing?
   9. Rowland Office Supplies Posted: September 24, 2012 at 06:29 AM (#4243970)
Very happy after last September's unpleasantness. Thing is...it just doesn't feel like a "playoff berth."
   10. Mike A Posted: September 24, 2012 at 08:55 AM (#4244005)
That's the frustrating part. If this system were in place last year, the Braves would not have 'collapsed' and would have made the playoffs.

This year, they will likely win the first WC and have to play in the silly one-game playoff instead of going straight to the NLDS.

The Braves couldn't have timed it any worse. I'll still blame Bud.
   11. salvomania Posted: September 24, 2012 at 11:07 AM (#4244075)
If this system were in place last year, the Braves would not have 'collapsed' and would have made the playoffs.

This year, they will likely win the first WC and have to play in the silly one-game playoff instead of going straight to the NLDS.

The Braves couldn't have timed it any worse. I'll still blame Bud.

Just win your division and it's not an issue, in either year.

I love that the even-more-gimmicky revision of the Wild Card gimmick serves to appropriately lessen the impact of the original gimmick.

Now the playoffs are even more a crap shoot for the Wild Card teams than they are for the division winners, and that seems fair.

And I'm certainly not going to get bent out of shape if a 94-win non-division champ loses a one-game play-in to an 86-win non-division champ. Tough luck, better luck next year.
   12. Joey B. has reignited his October #Natitude Posted: September 24, 2012 at 11:20 AM (#4244085)
About those Phillies, I know that there are a good number of people out there who still believe that they're going to have this big rebound season next year and go back to being as strong as they were the last few years, but I'm officially going on record right now and saying that it's not going to happen, and you can bookmark that if you like.

The Phillies are now exactly what their relevant statistics say they are: an old, injury-prone team on the downslide that can't hit any more, and that isn't going to change next season if they bring back the current roster mostly intact. Just as bad for them, it's starting to look more and more like the old killer Roy Halladay is gone and has been replaced by a rather mediocre and very hittable Halladay.
   13. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: September 24, 2012 at 11:47 AM (#4244105)
speaking of a team that has to get nursed across the finish line i give matheny a lot of credit since holliday, beltran and others all seem to be battling injuries

beltran is hitting a bit better the last two weeks but his second half has been pretty tame. historically he does better in the second half so who knows if its age or injury. but not a good sign
   14. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: September 24, 2012 at 12:45 PM (#4244168)
About those Phillies, I know that there are a good number of people out there who still believe that they're going to have this big rebound season next year and go back to being as strong as they were the last few years, but I'm officially going on record right now and saying that it's not going to happen, and you can bookmark that if you like.

Typical blather. Who exactly is calling for a big rebound? Such bold predictions. So what is your upper limit on wins?

Now, if they sign Justin Upton** and figure out how to get a credible 3B and a good relief pitcher, they could certainly be right up there with the Nats and Braves. I don't think Amaro can pull all that off, although there are signs that the Phils are willing to break the cap next year.

I don't think Halladay is done as a good pitcher, but ace of aces days are over.

** I'm not sold on Bourn, especially with the Phils' susceptability to LHP.
   15. salvomania Posted: September 24, 2012 at 12:55 PM (#4244187)
speaking of a team that has to get nursed across the finish line

A huge unsung contributor for the Cardinals has been Matt Carpenter, who has started at 1b, 3b, rf, lf, and as of last week, 2b, relieving various banged-up vets (Berkman/Craig, Beltran, Holliday, Freese) and hitting far better than most Cardinal followers had imagined.

Always a solid if unspectacular bat in the minors whose greatest attribute was his plate discipline (a career .408 OBP in the minors driven by a 14% walk rate), he's more or less duplicated that performance (but fewer walks, more power) in his first full big-league season, and in 313 PA has a .300/.367/.480 line.

There's a pretty steep dropoff offensively after Carpenter at all the positions he fills in at, so the ability to mix and match him as others need rest has been huge for the Cardinals.
   16. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: September 24, 2012 at 01:12 PM (#4244204)
The Cards have done a nice job of bringing along solid, if unspectacular, players who have given the team versatility. Carpenter, Craig and Jay come to mind. And Schumacher (sp?) I suppose.
   17. salvomania Posted: September 24, 2012 at 01:42 PM (#4244248)
solid, if unspectacular, players

I would promote Craig to "spectacular," but your point stands.

In 633 at bats since the beginning of 2011, Craig has hit .313/.362/.547 with 49 doubles, 33 homers, 107 runs scored and 129 rbi.

And as team dependent as those 129 rbi might be, he's hit .374/.432/.690 with runners in scoring position over the past two seasons.

Dude missed all of April and half of May, and will still finish with 90+ rbi.
   18. steagles Posted: September 24, 2012 at 01:52 PM (#4244267)

The Phillies are now exactly what their relevant statistics say they are: an old, injury-prone team on the downslide that can't hit any more, and that isn't going to change next season if they bring back the current roster mostly intact. Just as bad for them, it's starting to look more and more like the old killer Roy Halladay is gone and has been replaced by a rather mediocre and very hittable Halladay.
that's not actually very unlikely.

though, i will just make a small note that chase utley is sitting on a 122 OPS+, and ryan howard has a .213 isoP. there's still some life in those bats.
   19. CFBF Is A Golden Spider Duck Posted: September 24, 2012 at 02:24 PM (#4244316)
It's not something I'm getting too worked up over right now, but the Braves are 4 1/2 games behind the Nationals in the NL East. The Nationals have 10 games left, and they play the Brewers, Phillies and Cardinals. The Braves have nine games left with the Marlins, Mets and Pirates. Obviously any kind of comeback is beyond unlikely, but hey, it's something I'd like to keep an eye on.
   20. rlc Posted: September 24, 2012 at 02:29 PM (#4244327)
Now, if they sign Justin Upton**

I think you mean Melvin; Arizona has his little brother under contract through 2015.
   21. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: September 24, 2012 at 02:43 PM (#4244351)
Justin Melvin? Never heard of'im. (Obviously, a big d'oh on me)

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Jim Wisinski
for his generous support.