Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

NL playoff race: September 25, 2012

NL East

WAS 93-61 [13-10 in SEPT]
ATL 89-65 [15-7 in SEPT] (4 GB)

The Chase for .500

PIT 76-78 [6-17 in SEPT]

MLB.com: Detwiler’s rough patch dooms Nats in Philly
MLB.com: Braves punch playoff ticket on Freeman’s walk-off
MLB.com: Cards near postseason berth after Garcia’s gem
MLB.com: Padres 2, Dodgers 1

MLB.com: Pirates ride early outburst to victory over Mets

NTNgod Posted: September 25, 2012 at 11:28 PM | 36 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: braves, nationals, pennant race, pirates

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. cardsfanboy Posted: September 26, 2012 at 12:40 AM (#4245889)
Cardinals are getting hot at the right time.... (It has nothing to do with playing the Astros, Cubs and Astros over the past 9 games. :)

With 7 games left against good teams (one of which does have a personal interest in not seeing the Cardinals in the playoffs) it's probably too late for anyone else to mount a comeback, the Nats aren't trying to win, and the Reds might try to win if there is any chance of the Cardinals being eliminated, but it's not a likely event.
   2. Dr. Vaux Posted: September 26, 2012 at 12:50 AM (#4245893)
the Nats aren't trying to win

The Nats had better be trying to win. They haven't clinched the division.
   3. cardsfanboy Posted: September 26, 2012 at 12:55 AM (#4245896)
The Nats had better be trying to win. They haven't clinched the division.

In 2006 the Cardinals went into the last week or two of the season not caring about the fact that they haven't clinched yet and absolutely showed that they didn't care if they won or not, yes miracles happened and the Astros made it interesting, but realistically they weren't going to win the division, and the Nats aren't going to lose the division.
   4. boteman digs the circuit clout Posted: September 26, 2012 at 01:07 AM (#4245900)
It would be an extraordinary turn of events for the Nats to lose every remaining game and the Braves to overtake them, but it's mathematically possible. No, I'm not looking it up, it hurts too much; I read it somewhere on the Net. As remote as the possibility is, I'm still snake-bitten and not taking anything for granted. The Nats' pitching is getting non-lights-out, both starting and bullpen, and some of their strong bats have cooled off a bit lately so there is small cause for concern.

True question: when did the "pennant race" become the "pennant chase"? Was the former phrasing too "racist"???
   5. vortex of dissipation Posted: September 26, 2012 at 04:06 AM (#4245924)
Actually, I think both the Nationals and Reds will be trying to win because they're tied right now for the best record, something both teams would like to have.
   6. bfan Posted: September 26, 2012 at 07:36 AM (#4245939)
when did the "pennant race" become the "pennant chase"? Was the former phrasing too "racist"???

"Race" implies a competition, with a winner and a loser; that is so harsh. "Chase" is like a child's game, where maybe one person (or team) gets caught by the other, but in the end, you all hug and fall down, giggling.
   7. flournoy Posted: September 26, 2012 at 07:47 AM (#4245941)
In 2006 the Cardinals went into the last week or two of the season not caring about the fact that they haven't clinched yet and absolutely showed that they didn't care if they won or not, yes miracles happened and the Astros made it interesting, but realistically they weren't going to win the division, and the Nats aren't going to lose the division.

Would it be so unbelievable for the Braves to go 6-2, while the Nationals go 2-6? That would force a one game playoff to see who doesn't have to play in the other one game playoff.
   8. ThisElevatorIsDrivingMeUpTheWall Posted: September 26, 2012 at 07:55 AM (#4245946)
Hamels is a pretty good pitcher. This stuff happens.
   9. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: September 26, 2012 at 07:57 AM (#4245948)
well the brewers huffed and puffed but looks like they are out of gas.

wasted a lot of good seasons. that's what makes 2012 so incredibly disappointing. milwaukee had a lot of things go 'right' this year and the team will barely finish over .500 because management waited six weeks before doing anything about the bullpen.

based on what is floating around the team melvin was waiting on roenicke and ron being mr. loyalty finally decided something had to be done. doug has seen this before. so i don't give him a pass even though he's working to let his manager manage.

that and randy wolf. that was just ridiculous. wolf was awful, everybody knew he was awful, and ron kept running him out there thinking it would change.
   10. bunyon Posted: September 26, 2012 at 08:52 AM (#4245968)
I thought the Nats shouldn't have celebrated clinching a playoff spot. I can sort of see why the Braves would - the collapse last year and being far enough back that the division looks almost out of reach. But when you're nearly on pace for 100 wins, you don't celebrate clinching the 5th spot.

Obviously, I hope the Braves catch them and while I find it to be very unlikely, I don't think it's wildly outside the realm of possibility. Still, 6-2 and 2-6, with no head to head, just to force a tie?

Line up Medlen to pitch the playoff game and if the Nats fold, cool.
   11. Chris Needham Posted: September 26, 2012 at 09:20 AM (#4245986)
the Nats aren't trying to win

This is pretty much wrong. And underestimates Davey's ego.
   12. cardsfanboy Posted: September 26, 2012 at 09:36 AM (#4245993)
This is pretty much wrong. And underestimates Davey's ego.

There is a difference between trying to win, and trying not to lose. I'm not saying they are going to be putting scrubs in the lineup everyday, but just that the intensity to win is not going to be there.
   13. Joey B. is being stalked by a (Gonfa) loon Posted: September 26, 2012 at 09:52 AM (#4246008)
I thought the Nats shouldn't have celebrated clinching a playoff spot.

They didn't, and I would know, because I was there at the game the night they clinched the wild card. The fans were going crazy, but the team "celebration" was indistinguishable from that of any ordinary win.
   14. Rickey! In a van on 95 south... Posted: September 26, 2012 at 10:02 AM (#4246022)
The Braves are a long shot at the division, sure. But you play through the damned whistle. No one who was on the Braves 2011 roster should have to have the need to play every game explained to them.
   15. Guapo Posted: September 26, 2012 at 10:36 AM (#4246080)
The Nats lead could likely be down to 3 tonight. Then DC has one in Philly, 3 in St. Louis, and 3 at home against Philly. Meanwhile, Atlanta hosts the Mets for 3 and goes to Pittsburgh for 3. Not hard to see how they could easily pick up 3 games by the end of the season.
   16. JustDan Posted: September 26, 2012 at 10:39 AM (#4246084)
There is a difference between trying to win, and trying not to lose. I'm not saying they are going to be putting scrubs in the lineup everyday, but just that the intensity to win is not going to be there.

The Nats are 2-3 since clinching. But they have a positive run differential in those 5 games. Really, they are trying to win and 5 games does not mean much. I'm still wary of the Braves. 4 games is too close.
   17. Chris Needham Posted: September 26, 2012 at 11:10 AM (#4246131)

Watching them closely this year and the last few nights (you're not the only fanboy!), this isn't the case. This is a quietly intense team. They're wearing down a bit, but they're still playing hard and with just as much intensity.
   18. cardsfanboy Posted: September 26, 2012 at 11:16 AM (#4246140)
Maybe since they are a first time team in the post season it might be different, but I just don't see it being likely that they will play balls to the walls until they clinch. I'm probably wrong, but in my experience the team says one thing (We'll play it out until the clinching game) and does something else(play more relaxed etc.) Barring a collapse the wins will come and they will win the division, there is no reason to stress the team out for that.
   19. Chris Needham Posted: September 26, 2012 at 11:32 AM (#4246160)
Well, they didn't lose because they weren't intense last night. They basically lost because a pitcher (who has everything to fight for given his role) had one bad inning.

And that's the thing. Davey sets the tone. They're not stresed. They're relaxed and confident. They know they take care of business, the division comes. So they'll just plug away as they have all season.

I think there was more pressure on them about a month ago when Davey and Rizzo had that shouting match.
   20. Joey B. is being stalked by a (Gonfa) loon Posted: September 26, 2012 at 11:32 AM (#4246161)
Cardsfanboy, thank you very much for the nickel store psychoanalysis. Is this covered under Medicare, or will we have to pay out of pocket?
   21. bunyon Posted: September 26, 2012 at 11:38 AM (#4246163)
They didn't, and I would know, because I was there at the game the night they clinched the wild card. The fans were going crazy, but the team "celebration" was indistinguishable from that of any ordinary win.

Cool. I'd only read about that game and it sounded like they jumped around (which, I believe, the Braves did). For all the two cent analysis, the Braves may well relax at this point.
   22. Chris Needham Posted: September 26, 2012 at 11:40 AM (#4246166)
Here's as apt a description of the the way the Nats and Braves (I have to stop myself from typing Barves every damn time now) celebrated their respective clinchers.
   23. cardsfanboy Posted: September 26, 2012 at 11:42 AM (#4246167)
Cardsfanboy, thank you very much for the nickel store psychoanalysis. Is this covered under Medicare, or will we have to pay out of pocket?

I'm just pointing out that it's possible that the Nationals versus the Cardinals series, the Nationals might not be that interested in winning as hard as they can. It's not a controversial position. It happens all the time in sports.

And that's the thing. Davey sets the tone. They're not stresed. They're relaxed and confident. They know they take care of business, the division comes. So they'll just plug away as they have all season.

So does TLR and yet the Cardinals in the past with a massive lead but not having won the division, just played out the string. That is my point. It may not happen to this team, but all the reasons given, doesn't mean that the team won't just position themselves for the post season. The Nats are going to win the division, they know this, and that could affect the way they perform the rest of the season.
   24. Rickey! In a van on 95 south... Posted: September 26, 2012 at 11:47 AM (#4246173)
I'm just pointing out that it's possible that the Nationals versus the Cardinals series, the Nationals might not be that interested in winning as hard as they can. It's not a controversial position. It happens all the time in sports.

Joey's just pissy because the Natinals lost last night and haven't wrapped up the division with a week left to play. It's sort of cute, and a bugeyed freak sort of way.
   25. Chris Needham Posted: September 26, 2012 at 12:03 PM (#4246203)

Sure. And it's possible the Cardinals fold down the stretch with a rookie manager who can't handle the pressure, letting Milwaukee -- aided by a Yaz in '67 stretch by eventual MVP winner Ryan Braun -- sneak into the playoffs on the last day of the season too.

Why not? Anything's possible.
   26. Joey B. is being stalked by a (Gonfa) loon Posted: September 26, 2012 at 12:03 PM (#4246205)
Much like Punxatawney Phil always sticks his head out on February 2, Buckhead Sam can always be counted on to stick his cowardly little rat head out of the pinko thread whenever the Braves get to within about four or five games of the lead, only to dive back in once again when the lead gets bigger.
   27. Rickey! In a van on 95 south... Posted: September 26, 2012 at 12:14 PM (#4246216)
Much like Punxatawney Phil always sticks his head out on February 2, Buckhead Sam can always be counted on to stick his cowardly little rat head out of the pinko thread whenever the Braves get to within about four or five games of the lead, only to dive back in once again when the lead gets bigger.

Did the bad man hurt you in your no-touch place, Joey?
   28. cardsfanboy Posted: September 26, 2012 at 12:24 PM (#4246236)
Sure. And it's possible the Cardinals fold down the stretch with a rookie manager who can't handle the pressure, letting Milwaukee -- aided by a Yaz in '67 stretch by eventual MVP winner Ryan Braun -- sneak into the playoffs on the last day of the season too.

It's possible, never said it wasn't, said it's not likely though. Just like it's not likely that the Braves are going to catch the Nats.

My entire point was to look for a positive from a Cardinal point of view going into the last week of the season needing to win a couple of games against the two best teams in the NL. Neither team is probably going to need to win many games remaining, the Reds will be jockeying for rotation (But they hate the Cardinals so they might still be intense) and the Nats have the race more or less locked up so they might not be overly concerned with winning games at all costs.
   29. Joey B. is being stalked by a (Gonfa) loon Posted: September 26, 2012 at 12:38 PM (#4246256)
Why is it always the Dusty Bakers and never the Hutchesons of the world who suffer a stroke?
   30. James Newburg is in awe of Cespedes' CORE STRENGTH Posted: September 26, 2012 at 12:49 PM (#4246269)
Holy ####, that's beyond the pale.
   31. Rickey! In a van on 95 south... Posted: September 26, 2012 at 02:10 PM (#4246381)
Why is it always the Dusty Bakers and never the Hutchesons of the world who suffer a stroke?

I get stroked all the time, but admittedly, your mom was busy this week.
   32. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: September 26, 2012 at 03:40 PM (#4246467)
I get stroked all the time, but admittedly, your mom was busy this week.
Well-played. #27 was less-so, but that was a good one.
   33. Joey B. is being stalked by a (Gonfa) loon Posted: September 26, 2012 at 04:03 PM (#4246492)
I get stroked all the time

in the bathroom at Swinging Richards.
   34. jack the seal clubber (on the sidelines of life) Posted: September 26, 2012 at 04:17 PM (#4246514)
It worries me a little that Atlanta has the Mets and Pittsburgh coming up. The Pirates have completely folded. And the Cardinals may still be playing for the WC finishing up.

Having said that I still think the Nationals will wind up winning by 3 or 4.
   35. McCoy Posted: September 26, 2012 at 04:24 PM (#4246521)
It annoys me that as soon as I buy playoff tickets the Nationals decide to mail it in while the Braves get hot. I really need the first game in Washington to be game 3 of the NLDS and not game 1 nor do I care to see them in a wild card playin.
   36. Joey B. is being stalked by a (Gonfa) loon Posted: September 26, 2012 at 10:37 PM (#4246817)
The Nats lead could likely be down to 3 tonight.

Not tonight brother, not tonight! Tonight, the magic number goes down to 4.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Francis
for his generous support.