Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, July 02, 2012

OT-P: July: Obamacare Decision as Baseball: the Runner is Safe, so Now What?

My favorite play in baseball is the second base steal. In the play, the base runner watches the pitch, and at just the right moment, he sprints toward second. The catcher snatches the pitch, springs up and rockets the ball to the second baseman who snags it and tries to tag the runner as he slides into the base. As the dust clears, all eyes are on the second base umpire who, in a split second, calls the runner safe or out. When the play is over, the players dust themselves off, and the game goes on.

Some on the field may disagree with the umpire’s call.  However, the umpire’s decision is final, and arguing can get you ejected. To stay in the game, great teams simply adjust their strategy based on the umpire’s call.

Morty Causa Posted: July 02, 2012 at 02:26 PM | 4025 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: politics, special topics

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 41 of 41 pages ‹ First  < 36 37 38 39 40 41
   4001. They paved Misirlou, put up a parking lot Posted: July 31, 2012 at 08:15 PM (#4197621)
I think the only state that does it so far is Nebraska. It'll take a large state like New York, Texas, or California to do it to really get the ball rolling and both parties in each state are too entrenched to allow that to happen.

They should think about how much that will bring in campaign advertising dollars.
   4002. Tripon Posted: July 31, 2012 at 08:18 PM (#4197623)
Political parties don't want to spend more money than they have to. Or rather, they want safe states like CA, Texas, etc to provide the funding for their campaigns while still not require an investment in maintaining the state.
   4003. They paved Misirlou, put up a parking lot Posted: July 31, 2012 at 08:23 PM (#4197630)
But that could be offset by economies of scale. A few more campaign stops and a little more advertising in NYC to get another 50,000 votes and a Dem could blow off WV completely.
   4004. OCF Posted: July 31, 2012 at 08:37 PM (#4197638)
New Jersey passed a law a few years back stating that when a majority of other states pass similar laws, they would apportion their EC votes in proportion to the popular vote, I believe.

You're talking about the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact and that wasn't the plan. The plan was to give all of each participatory state's electoral votes to the national popular vote winner. The law only goes into effect if enough states to constitute an EC majority sign on. If that were ever to happen, then the electoral college would become irrelevant and the election would be decided solely by the national popular vote. Not many states have signed on yet, but most of the ones that have are fairly big, including California which is the biggest of all.

Would it work? Does an intentional subversion of part of the constitution by a coalition of large states pass constitutional muster? Who knows?
   4005. clowns to the left of me; STEAGLES to the right Posted: July 31, 2012 at 08:44 PM (#4197641)
considering the effects that republican gerrymandering has had on the demographics of individual congressional districts, i think it would be absurd to divide the EC along those lines.

and likewise, w/r/t proportional distribution of EC votes, i think it really has to be all of the states or none of them. if california, new york and new jersey split their votes, but texas, indiana, and georgia do not, that's a major shift in electoral politics that throws off the balance of power in this country.

and w/r/t just electing the candidate who wins the popular vote, well, that's just not nearly as much fun as the current setup.
   4006. zonk Posted: July 31, 2012 at 08:45 PM (#4197642)
Maine also divvies up EVs by district FWIW...

I don't particularly care for this - at least, so long as districts are such a partisan, gerrymandering process. What's more - even if you completely eliminated eliminated the 'district' issue - then it would really bother me (and frankly, it still bothers me even under the current system) that the people of say... Wyoming or Alaska have 3 X the federal electoral power of my district, despite the fact that there are 1-200K more people living in my district than those entire states... and that's before we get into the discussions about revenue into the federal kitty and federal revenue back out.
   4007. greenback calls it soccer Posted: July 31, 2012 at 08:59 PM (#4197649)
Political parties don't want to spend more money than they have to.

Where would that money go though? Presumably local media would get enormous revenue boosts. Kinda wonder why they haven't pushed harder for this.
   4008. Ray (RDP) Posted: July 31, 2012 at 09:07 PM (#4197655)
Not directly very often, but that is only because you are generally passive-aggressive and legalistic. One time, you openly backed and supported a guy on here calling me a troll, a liar, and several other names (not on a political thread) and when I called you on it, didn't own it.

I don't recall this; if you post what you're referring to I'll be able to comment. But even from your description it sounds like it wasn't me doing the insulting so I'm not sure where you're going with it.
   4009. Rickey! On a blog from 1998. With the candlestick. Posted: July 31, 2012 at 09:26 PM (#4197663)
Ray, telling a guy that he can't even remember how he was insulted is itself insulting.
   4010. Bitter Mouse Posted: July 31, 2012 at 09:48 PM (#4197678)
Hey Ray any comment?

3925. Ray (RDP) Posted: July 31, 2012 at 11:29 AM (#4196966)

Some posters argue merits, Ray jumps to the personal attacks, though I admit often in response to other's personal attacks on him.

I don't ever use personal attacks, or call people names, or anything like that. I don't think calling someone a liar is a personal attack, but rather a statement of what the person did. When Johnny says "Ray said X" and Ray never said or even implied X, Johnny is lying. If it's a personal attack to then point out that he was lying, so be it.

2705. Ray (RDP) Posted: July 19, 2012 at 10:55 PM (#4187682)

Bitter Mouse: you are a troll.

I am curious if you think you are a liar or not, and if not why not?

EDIT: Because it sure seems like you called me a name, which you say you have never done.
   4011. Ray (RDP) Posted: July 31, 2012 at 09:54 PM (#4197686)
#4010, Bitter Mouse: When one is engaged in a discussion and someone lies about what he said, it is fair to point out that the person has lied. How could it be otherwise?

And when one is engaged in a discussion and someone posts just to try to get a rise out of people (such as by saying "Nyah, nyah, Obamacare has been upheld, Obamacare has been upheld, we won we won we won deal with it!"), then it is fair to point out that the person is trolling. How could it be otherwise?

These are within reasonable bounds of any internet discussion. On the other hand, calling someone fat, for example, would not be.

Do you understand now?
   4012. Bitter Mouse Posted: July 31, 2012 at 09:55 PM (#4197689)
Would it work? Does an intentional subversion of part of the constitution by a coalition of large states pass constitutional muster? Who knows?

Not a lawyer, but everything I have read says it would pass SC muster, since states can determine how the apportion votes, but really who can say.

When is Andy due back*? I am terrible about passage of time, so I have no idea. Anyway I miss him.

*If he has been posting and I missed I apologize.
   4013. Bitter Mouse Posted: July 31, 2012 at 10:00 PM (#4197696)
Do you understand now?

Calling someone a troll is calling them a name. Calling someone a liar is calling them a name. You do both and then claim you "don't ever use personal attacks, or call people names, or anything like that", I am sad to say it but you are in fact a liar.

I am not stating your statement was incorrect, but rather you are engaged in conscious mendacity and it is a bit sad to see you refuse to just admit error and move on. Oh well.

And by the way you didn't call me a troll for saying "nyah nayh" (though I did, and do again - it is legal), I am pretty sure if you go back and look I was goading you about owning something. I admit I was being obnoxious, but I was using your own formulation which you had used on others repeatedly.

Obnoxiousness <> Troll, which I suspect you also know but will not admit.

I will drop this for now, but I make no promises I won't bring this up again the next time you call someone a liar.

EDIT: The problem, BTW, is not you calling people names, it is the lying and claiming you don't that is ... I guess I'll go with sad.
   4014. Ray (RDP) Posted: July 31, 2012 at 10:06 PM (#4197699)
I will drop this for now, but I make no promises I won't bring this up again the next time you call someone a liar.

Knock yourself out. I've stated and explained my position, and have responded to your reply. People can form their own conclusions about it.
   4015. Rickey! On a blog from 1998. With the candlestick. Posted: July 31, 2012 at 10:09 PM (#4197700)
I like to think of Ray using Henry Rollins voice.
   4016. OCF Posted: July 31, 2012 at 10:13 PM (#4197705)
Looking at that Wikipedia link on the popular vote initiative:

All of the states that have approved this are in current terms considered very safe states for Democratic presidential nominees, which gives it the appearance of a partisan initiative. (The least certain Dem states of that list are New Jersey and Washington.) Of course one can understand why states like Florida and Ohio might not want to go along - one assumes that they like the attention. (When I say "they", I'm referring to political insiders, not the general population hiding their eyes from the onslaught of all those ads.) The only way to make this a bigger story would be to have Texas adopt it, to even out the appearance of partisanship.

As to why it might have a partisan tinge: if the election were to be decided by the national popular vote, then the Democratic strategic response would almost surely be to sink serious resources (both advertising and GOTV) into urban areas in New York, California, and Illinois. Any real increase in turnout in those locations would be hard for the GOP to counter in other places.
   4017. Lassus Posted: July 31, 2012 at 10:16 PM (#4197706)

Really? I imagine more of a cross between Jello Biafra and T.S. Eliot.

Which I wished worked, but doesn't, as I know Ray's voice is very regular, which I mean as a compliment.
   4018. Rickey! On a blog from 1998. With the candlestick. Posted: July 31, 2012 at 10:27 PM (#4197721)
Really? I imagine more of a cross between Jello Biafra and T.S. Eliot.

Sigh. Yes.
   4019. robinred Posted: July 31, 2012 at 10:30 PM (#4197724)
I don't recall this;

I was quite sure that you wouldn't.

Where "I am going with it" is that while other than calling people liars sometimes, you don't engage in "traditional" internet personal attacks, in that particular case, you said stuff that made it clear that you thought I was both troll and a liar, so the idea that you never engage in personal attacks is, well, questionable at best.
   4020. Spahn Insane Posted: July 31, 2012 at 11:05 PM (#4197751)

Heh. I've met him (Ray, not Rollins), and thus find this more amusing than I otherwise might. I will now amuse myself further by imagining Ray singing (er..."singing," it being Rollins) "Low Self Opinion."
   4021. Lassus Posted: July 31, 2012 at 11:34 PM (#4197759)
I hate to be that guy, but the latter-day Henry Rollins has always given me a headache. I'm glad he became successful and happy and all that, but I preferred him as a weird and mental anti-hero of Family Man.
   4022. Ray (RDP) Posted: August 01, 2012 at 12:42 AM (#4197777)
Where "I am going with it" is that while other than calling people liars sometimes, you don't engage in "traditional" internet personal attacks, in that particular case, you said stuff that made it clear that you thought I was both troll and a liar, so the idea that you never engage in personal attacks is, well, questionable at best.

Well, without you posting the exchange, again, I can't comment intelligently on it.

I imagine it had something to do with one of the times Good Face insulted you; he's the only person I can recall doing that. But if I didn't do it, I don't see your point. You'd have to be more specific about "stuff that made it clear I thought you were both troll and liar." It depends what the "stuff" was. As I said just above, I do think it's within bounds of any reasonable discussion to call someone both troll and liar if that's what they are doing. Those are substantive complaints that are related to the discussion, not random attacks that have nothing to do with anything.
   4023. Spahn Insane Posted: August 01, 2012 at 12:44 AM (#4197778)
I hate to be that guy, but the latter-day Henry Rollins has always given me a headache.

Hey, no worries--Rollins's vocals are and have always been shite.
   4024. greenback calls it soccer Posted: August 01, 2012 at 12:56 AM (#4197785)
Gore Vidal is dead. I hadn't realized just how ugly it got between him and William F. Buckley.
   4025. Tripon Posted: August 01, 2012 at 01:41 AM (#4197797)
Page 41 of 41 pages ‹ First  < 36 37 38 39 40 41

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Dock Ellis on Acid
for his generous support.