Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, June 26, 2014

OMNICHATTER 6-26-2014

We have gone [0] days since the last time Tim Lincecum no-hit the Padres.

Gamingboy Posted: June 26, 2014 at 12:03 AM | 21 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: omnichatter

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: June 26, 2014 at 06:41 PM (#4736896)
Angels with a chance to win their sixth in a row. up five runs in the ninth, put in Ernesto Frieri. What could go wrong?
   2. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: June 26, 2014 at 06:47 PM (#4736900)
Mike Scioscia shows he's learning. He's only going to let Frieri load the bases before going to someone else. AAaaaaauuuuuggghhh.
   3. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: June 26, 2014 at 06:56 PM (#4736910)
Joe Mauer clears the bases, and the Angels' 5-run lead is now a 1-run lead with the tying run at the plate. Fortunately, the Angels get that last out.

Frieri's total terribleness is inexplicable and cruel. I hate him so much, I actually feel bad about it.
   4. boteman is not here 'til October Posted: June 26, 2014 at 07:47 PM (#4736961)
El Hombre is not posting in ALL CAPS so there's that.

Frittering away the time waiting for the Nats @ Cubbies game to start by editing a test configuration on my FreeSWITCH box at work and listening to the Marlins game. I was pleasantly surprised to hear Marlins radio #2 guy Glenn Geffner list the Marlins' team OPS. I guess the fax is being passed around the league, huh?
   5. The Yankee Clapper Posted: June 26, 2014 at 08:08 PM (#4736984)
El Hombre is not posting in ALL CAPS so there's that.

I remember when the rage of El Hombre could power the entire Internet. It's just not the same anymore.
   6. The Yankee Clapper Posted: June 26, 2014 at 08:14 PM (#4736994)
Kind of foggy @ Wrigley Field. Perhaps hijinks will ensue.
   7. boteman is not here 'til October Posted: June 26, 2014 at 08:40 PM (#4737024)
Junior Lake slid across the warning track, did not get the ball, but did slam his head into that metal door in the wall. Of all the places for a nice, solid, hard, metal door! I wish he had had the presence of mind to keep his glove up to cushion the blow, but his head must have made a nice KLUNK! sound. The whole team, trainer, team doctor all converged on him and it looked dicey at first, but then he stood up, somebody joked and he laughed and then walked off under his own power. Lake is out of the game and I suspect he will be subject to a battery of tests; that was a pretty nasty collision.

Then Wilson Ramos back off the DL bangs a base knock to LF and for the first time in a long time 3B coach Henly makes a bad decision to send Ryan Zimmerman lumbering home. He was out by a couple feet. A review of whether the catcher blocked the plate revealed that he was still out.
   8. Russlan is fond of Dillon Gee Posted: June 26, 2014 at 08:45 PM (#4737028)
Lucas Duda is quietly having a really good year at the plate.
   9. boteman is not here 'til October Posted: June 26, 2014 at 08:47 PM (#4737030)
You know, I'm happy to donate money to community web sites that do good work, like this here BBTF. Now Baseball Reference has a begging-for-dollars screen because I run AdBlock Plus, warning me that BRef would be devoid of content if everybody blocked ads. Well, it's my bandwidth and my browser that gets the additional load with those typically poorly-coded ad scripts, so no thank you. That is not negotiable.

When I went to the donation page to give him some money, the same begging-for-dollars screen popped up, obscuring the underlying page. This irked me so I gave up fighting city hall. Don't stand in the way of the customer when he is trying to get to your cashier to give you money!
</rant>
   10. boteman is not here 'til October Posted: June 26, 2014 at 08:59 PM (#4737043)
This game at Wrigley reminds me of the "Pea Soup" game in Baltimore against the Yankees in mid-June of either 1983 or 1984. At least a couple fly balls to the outfield were truly adventures, but so far in this game it hasn't posed an insurmountable problem for the fielders.
   11. cardsfanboy Posted: June 26, 2014 at 09:06 PM (#4737046)
Now Baseball Reference has a begging-for-dollars screen because I run AdBlock Plus, warning me that BRef would be devoid of content if everybody blocked ads. Well, it's my bandwidth and my browser that gets the additional load with those typically poorly-coded ad scripts, so no thank you. That is not negotiable.

I don't even use adblock, and the stupid thing popped up on me.
   12. boteman is not here 'til October Posted: June 26, 2014 at 09:13 PM (#4737051)
I also run NoScript so that nothing can run in my browser until I allow it. I added BRef to my whitelist in AdBlock and it still popped up, so I'm assuming it's because NoScript is blocking quantserve.com

You'd think it would clear a path for you to the payment screens, but no. Really frustrating.

Too many of these ads are written hurriedly without much (or any) testing. It's best just not to run them at all.

Hey! When did Castro and Rizzo learn how to hit??? 2-0 Cubbies.
   13. cardsfanboy Posted: June 26, 2014 at 09:21 PM (#4737057)
Hey! When did Castro and Rizzo learn how to hit??? 2-0 Cubbies

I thought Castro and Rizzo were the only ones on the Cubbies that knew how to hit.
   14. boteman is not here 'til October Posted: June 26, 2014 at 10:29 PM (#4737106)
Adam "Speedy Gonzalez" LaRoche bunts against the shift down toward 3B, Pedro Strop watches it not roll foul, he's aboard with 1 out. Now it's up to Zimmerman to GIDP to end the "threat".
   15. cardsfanboy Posted: June 26, 2014 at 10:53 PM (#4737139)
I love selective comparisons....Cardinals just showed a graphic comparing Matt Adams career to Puig....

it showed
Puig
ab--660
avg-- .317
2b--40
hr--30
rbi--87

Adams
ab--623
avg-.295
2b--37
hr--28
rbi--97

Ignoring park effects, the extra walks that Puig has, the stolen bases, positions, the defense(although Adams has been terrific defensively, you just get the feeling he's been lucky more than good)
   16. cardsfanboy Posted: June 26, 2014 at 11:35 PM (#4737165)
Wainwright still hasn't allowed a hit after 5 innings. It's early in the game, but he's at 60 pitches going into the 6th inning.
Of course the Cardinals have only mustered up two hits themselves, so it's possible this game will still be 0-0 in the 10th inning.
   17. cardsfanboy Posted: June 26, 2014 at 11:46 PM (#4737169)
Oops.... First hit by Miguel Rojas. (Cardinals announcers have been playing the anti-jinx game, so I figured I would join them...not so lucky)
   18. salvomania Posted: June 27, 2014 at 12:08 AM (#4737188)
Wish the Cardinals had any kind of team speed... their 2-3-4-5-6 hitters tonight are all slow...

In a 0-0 game in the 7th Craig is thrown out at home on a Jay single to left---Kemp made a great throw on the fly to home to nip Craig by about two inches: when Butera applied the tag, Craig's hand was slamming down to the plate, and the replay showed Craig's hand frozen right above home as he's tagged.

The Cardinals just don't score from second on a single in 2014... they either stop at 3rd or are nailed at the plate.

Great pitcher's duel, though.
   19. salvomania Posted: June 27, 2014 at 12:29 AM (#4737196)
Christ, after a runner's on second with one out in the bottom of the 8th in a 0-0 game, consecutive balls hit in the general direction of SS: one towards second, and one towards thrid, both turned into outs by some ML shortstops, but neither done so by Jhonny Peralta. He smothered the fisrt one but couldn't make athrow to 1st, and was playing in and towards the bag on the second one and didn't get within 5 feet of it..

1-0 Dodgers.
   20. salvomania Posted: June 27, 2014 at 12:42 AM (#4737201)
So the one Cardinal with speed, Bourjos, has zero baseball sense, given my viewing of him over the first half of the season.

With one out in the 9th, down 1-0, Bourjos comes in to pinch run after a Matt Adams single, then steals second, but comes off the bag while the SS holds the tag, and he's called out. Just terrible technique---a "pop-up" slide in which his entire body breaks contact with the bag (his lead leg went beyond the bag while his trailing leg came up; that lead leg needs to hold the bag).

Dodgers win, 1-0. Great pitcher's duel, great execution by the Dodgers on the defensive end, poor execution by the Cardinals everywhere except on the mound. They really need to work on their baserunners getting a larger secondary lead off 2nd, because they just don't score from second unless it's on an extra-base hit. That killed them tonight.

21. boteman is not here 'til October Posted: June 27, 2014 at 12:53 AM (#4737203)
With 2 quick outs, Punter Hence swings at the 2-2 pitch about a foot outside to end the 8th when the Giants really need baserunners, down 3-1. Mike Leake's first pitch to him looked like a guided missile, it dove down and away so much it was unbelievable. He's the starting pitcher and his stuff is still mesmerizing in the 8th inning. Unreal.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Adam M
for his generous support.