Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Saturday, July 12, 2014

OMNICHATTER 7-12-2014

The “Last Saturday Before The Break” OMNICHATTER

Gamingboy Posted: July 12, 2014 at 12:29 AM | 62 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: omnichatter

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Joyful Calculus Instructor Posted: July 12, 2014 at 10:42 AM (#4749370)
Go Blue!
   2. Ok, Griffey's Dunn (Nothing Iffey About Griffey) Posted: July 12, 2014 at 11:46 AM (#4749392)
The Reds currently have a 14-man pitching staff. Has that ever happened? 9 relievers, 5 starters, 8 position players. Leaves a 3-man bench.
   3. Steve Balboni's Personal Trainer Posted: July 12, 2014 at 01:25 PM (#4749422)
David Price, pulled from his start today. Hmmm....
   4. esseff Posted: July 12, 2014 at 01:47 PM (#4749430)
Mike O'Neill DFA'd. He's a walk machine with a career minor-league slash of .314/.418/.393 (OPS rounds to .810). I'd think there might be some interest in trade or claim, though he's not a kid and gets only occasional play in CF.
   5. JJ1986 Posted: July 12, 2014 at 01:57 PM (#4749440)
The Reds currently have a 14-man pitching staff. Has that ever happened? 9 relievers, 5 starters, 8 position players. Leaves a 3-man bench.

I think the Twins had one earlier this year.
   6. CFBF Is A Golden Spider Duck Posted: July 12, 2014 at 02:38 PM (#4749456)
Will the Braves continue their recent trend of getting slapped around by struggling players (walk-off hit by Ruben Tejada, game-clinching home run by Travis D'Arnaud, blown away by the likes of Daisuke Matsuzaka and Jacob deGrom, backbreaking walk to Mike Olt, multiple hits by Chris Coghlan)? They're facing Edwin Jackson, so the potential is there.
   7. bobm Posted: July 12, 2014 at 02:42 PM (#4749458)
   8. Russlan is fond of Dillon Gee Posted: July 12, 2014 at 03:32 PM (#4749472)
Degrom is a young talented pitcher who is averaging a strikeout per inning. It's not that odd he had a start in which he dominated a mediocre offense.
   9. esseff Posted: July 12, 2014 at 03:35 PM (#4749475)
Terrible news from the Brewers: Jean Segura's 9-month-old son died.
   10. CFBF Is A Golden Spider Duck Posted: July 12, 2014 at 03:47 PM (#4749480)
deGrom's a 26-year-old rookie with a good fastball in the middle of a roughly league average season who the Braves have turned into Clayton Kershaw over the course of two starts. He's probably not "struggling," admittedly, but I consider being dominated by him pretty depressing.
   11. Walks Clog Up the Bases Posted: July 12, 2014 at 04:21 PM (#4749510)
Darwin Barney can take his time returning from paternity leave.
   12. cardsfanboy Posted: July 12, 2014 at 04:28 PM (#4749513)
3-0 lead for the Cardinals with Wainwright pitching, I feel pretty comfortable for this game. I would still like to see more runs to protect the game from Rosenthal implosion.
   13. cardsfanboy Posted: July 12, 2014 at 04:33 PM (#4749517)
Great play by the Brewers shortstop(Bianchi?) to rob Jay of a base hit.
   14. DKDC Posted: July 12, 2014 at 04:36 PM (#4749521)
I have no idea who Shane Greene is. Apparently the Oriole hitters didn't bother to look him up either...
   15. cardsfanboy Posted: July 12, 2014 at 04:39 PM (#4749523)
Wong with his 5th homerun of the week. 5-0 Cardinals in the second against the Brewers. Brewers were up 6-0 after two yesterday and lost.
   16. Walks Clog Up the Bases Posted: July 12, 2014 at 04:40 PM (#4749524)
I knew two runs wasn't gonna be enough for Edwin Jackson, but he sure reiterated that quickly enough.
   17. Russlan is fond of Dillon Gee Posted: July 12, 2014 at 04:43 PM (#4749527)
I hadn't realized Degrom has had two good starts against the Braves. Degrom is a 26 year old rookie but he's only been a pitcher for like 5 years.
   18. cardsfanboy Posted: July 12, 2014 at 04:57 PM (#4749532)
Announcers are ridiculous. No way would a team trade an Oscar Taveras for Price.
   19. cardsfanboy Posted: July 12, 2014 at 05:01 PM (#4749533)
Yadier who? Cruz with his third rbi of the day, a double to put the Cardinals up 6-0.
   20. CFBF Is A Golden Spider Duck Posted: July 12, 2014 at 05:06 PM (#4749536)
Jason Heyward really is a remarkable right fielder. Frustrating at the plate, but absolutely magnificent in the field.
   21. CFBF Is A Golden Spider Duck Posted: July 12, 2014 at 05:08 PM (#4749537)
BJ Upton, on the other hand....
   22. DKDC Posted: July 12, 2014 at 05:12 PM (#4749539)
Shane Greene no-hitting the Os through 4.
   23. CFBF Is A Golden Spider Duck Posted: July 12, 2014 at 05:17 PM (#4749543)
Three home runs on the year for Chris Johnson entering today, and he's hit two through the first three innings.
   24. Walks Clog Up the Bases Posted: July 12, 2014 at 05:22 PM (#4749546)
At what point is it ok for the cubs to eat Jackson's contract? He's had a handful of really nice starts since last year, but he's been mediocre to awful the rest of the time.
   25. DKDC Posted: July 12, 2014 at 05:26 PM (#4749550)
Manny saves the Orioles the embarrassment of being no hit by a nobody, but they are still getting shut out and dominated by this guy.
   26. Spahn Insane Posted: July 12, 2014 at 05:41 PM (#4749558)
Edwin Jackson is godawful.

That is all.
   27. Spahn Insane Posted: July 12, 2014 at 05:42 PM (#4749560)
Walks: probably not till they've at least pissed away half of 2015. Gotta save face here. Or something.
   28. cardsfanboy Posted: July 12, 2014 at 05:51 PM (#4749565)
I love it when they bring in the loogy to face Jay and he delivers.... Wainwright with an RBI also to give the Cardinals an 8-0 lead, top of the fifth.
   29. Good cripple hitter Posted: July 12, 2014 at 06:17 PM (#4749573)
Signs the season is not going according to plan: Dan Johnson is batting 4th in the Blue Jays lineup.
   30. cardsfanboy Posted: July 12, 2014 at 06:18 PM (#4749575)
Milwaukee's defense has failed them this inning. Braun misses a somewhat routine catch.
   31. CFBF Is A Golden Spider Duck Posted: July 12, 2014 at 06:49 PM (#4749582)
Apparently there are special neighborhood play rules for Andrelton Simmons.
   32. Yellow Tango Posted: July 12, 2014 at 07:01 PM (#4749585)
His foot wasn't on the bag, but the neighborhood play "rule" has applied to that forever. The review restored the call to the way it should have been in the first place.

On the other hand, his foot wasn't on the bag, so they weren't reviewing the force. This makes two times in the past week that the umpires have reviewed the application of the neighborhood play "rule" and overturned the call in Braves games.
   33. cardsfanboy Posted: July 12, 2014 at 07:04 PM (#4749586)
On the other hand, his foot wasn't on the bag, so they weren't reviewing the force. This makes two times in the past week that the umpires have reviewed the application of the neighborhood play "rule" and overturned the call in Braves games.

What happened? The neighborhood play is specifically written into replay rules as something that cannot be reviewed.
   34. Yellow Tango Posted: July 12, 2014 at 07:12 PM (#4749589)
In the first situation, Simmons stepped into the throw as the runner slid into second and threw to first base for the double play. The initial call was out, but it was overturned on review. After the game, umpires said that it wasn't the neighborhood play because Simmons was stepping off the base to retrieve an errant throw. It was a dubious explanation. There's a good write up here.

This time, Simmons stepped across the base as the runner was coming in and fired to first for the double play. His foot may have left the base just a tiny bit early, but it was the sort of situation where the neighborhood play has always applied. The umpire called the runner at second safe for some reason. On review, the umpires awarded the out. It would have been the right initial call, and I'm not 100% clear on exactly how the rule is worded.

If the umpire's discretion about whether the neighborhood play applies can't be reviewed, it seems like the umpires ignored that. On the other hand, if reviews are allowed to give the defense the benefit of the neighborhood play but not take it away, the call today seems correct.
   35. cardsfanboy Posted: July 12, 2014 at 07:18 PM (#4749590)
The rule for replay says

Force/Tag Play Calls. Calls involving a defensive player's attempt to put out a runner or batter-runner by tagging the runner or batter-runner or touching a base, and/or whether or not the runner acquired the base. When reviewing such calls, the Replay Official shall determine that a fielder has caught the ball, consistent with Official Baseball Rule 2.00, at the point in time that the ball touches the fielder's hand or glove (so long as the fielder maintains possession of the ball from the point of contact and thereafter).

Notwithstanding the foregoing, the following calls will not be subject to review:

The Umpire's judgment that a runner is clearly out on a force play at second base under circumstances in which the defensive player may or may not have touched second base in his attempt to complete a double play and avoid a collision with the runner. All other elements of the call shall be subject to review, including whether the fielder caught the ball, had control of the ball, was drawn off the bag, or tagged the runner. In this regard, a determination as to whether the fielder made a catch before dropping the ball while in the act of making a throw following the catch shall be reviewable.

I'm guessing that an out call isn't subject to review, but the safe call would have been eligible for review.

After the game, umpires said that it wasn't the neighborhood play because Simmons was stepping off the base to retrieve an errant throw. It was a dubious explanation.

That sounds reasonable, not dubious at all. The purpose of the neighborhood play is to protect the players, but it's not to allow for sloppy plays.
   36. TVerik, the gum-snappin' hairdresser Posted: July 12, 2014 at 07:18 PM (#4749591)
Manny saves the Orioles the embarrassment of being no hit by a nobody, but they are still getting shut out and dominated by this guy.

It is almost definitely my Yankee-colored glasses (and SSS to boot!) but I like the cut of this kid's jib. He's throwing a lot of strikes.
   37. TVerik, the gum-snappin' hairdresser Posted: July 12, 2014 at 07:31 PM (#4749593)
YES put up a graphic saying that his average sinker is 94 MPH. That's pretty damned good.

fangraphs agrees.
   38. cardsfanboy Posted: July 12, 2014 at 07:32 PM (#4749594)
Nice game. Cardinals are now tied with Brewers for first place in the NL Central. Wainwright raised his era from 1.79 to 1.83 with a 12-4 record. I'm assuming he's the All star game starter. Cardinals offense is showing up for the past few days. Outside of Craig, it looks like the rest of the lineup is back to where you would have expected them to be this year(assuming an age related decline for Holliday and regression for Carpenter)
   39. Astroenteritis Posted: July 12, 2014 at 07:44 PM (#4749597)
Thank you Chad Qualls. If there's such a thing as an ugly win, that was it.
   40. Yellow Tango Posted: July 12, 2014 at 07:57 PM (#4749600)
That sounds reasonable, not dubious at all. The purpose of the neighborhood play is to protect the players, but it's not to allow for sloppy plays.

Oh, sorry. Of course that's true. It was dubious because the throw was right on target and Simmons stepped off as the runner's foot was coming into the bag where he was standing. It was the kind of play shortstops make often to get out of the way of a runner and prevent getting hit in the foot or leg on a slide.

Reading the rule, the call today makes more sense.
   41. Rob_Wood Posted: July 12, 2014 at 08:13 PM (#4749603)
anybody watching rangers-angels game on fox? harold reynolds said something dumb
   42. TVerik, the gum-snappin' hairdresser Posted: July 12, 2014 at 08:26 PM (#4749606)
It took me longer than it should have taken to realize that Bobby Abreu has not caught on with the White Sox and hit a lot of home runs.
   43. Jose Can Still Seabiscuit Posted: July 12, 2014 at 08:38 PM (#4749612)
harold reynolds said something dumb

That's unpossible!
   44. esseff Posted: July 12, 2014 at 08:52 PM (#4749617)
Wainwright raised his era from 1.79 to 1.83 with a 12-4 record. I'm assuming he's the All star game starter.

Over Kershaw, whose numbers are just as glowing (or better) and who would be on normal rest?
   45. cardsfanboy Posted: July 12, 2014 at 08:57 PM (#4749619)
Over Kershaw, whose numbers are just as glowing (or better) and who would be on normal rest?

I just don't get that.... Wainwright has 40 more innings, same era, better era+,....outside of silliness like Fip they are exactly the same pitcher this year, with Wainwright having four more starts. How can anyone think Kershaw is having the better year?

edit:Mind you, I fully support the argument of previous season performance and career as a factor, but there is absolutely no argument for Kershaw over Wawinwright based upon this years numbers. Cueto I could see, but not Kershaw. (It's funny that we like era+ as a stat, and then people point to fip all the time, while not acknowledging that it's NOT PARK ADJUSTED)
   46. Joey B. has reignited his October #Natitude Posted: July 12, 2014 at 08:58 PM (#4749620)
The WereWerth shuts up them Philly boobirds! 3-0 Nats.
   47. Rob_Wood Posted: July 12, 2014 at 09:00 PM (#4749621)
In response to a stat about Albert Pujols's OPS, Harold Reynolds snickered and said OPS is a new stat. Those old-time players didn't know anything about OPS and if they did they would have done better on OPS. Can you imagine what Ted Williams would have done if he knew about OPS??

There is so much wrong with this:

- Lack of understanding of what OPS measures
- Lack of understanding that Ted Williams is the king of OPS
- Lack of awareness that Ted was roundly criticized for walking so much
- Lack of appreciation for modern stats
- A million other things

Back to you Joe.
   48. cardsfanboy Posted: July 12, 2014 at 09:17 PM (#4749627)
In response to a stat about Albert Pujols's OPS, Harold Reynolds snickered and said OPS is a new stat. Those old-time players didn't know anything about OPS and if they did they would have done better on OPS. Can you imagine what Ted Williams would have done if he knew about OPS??

I guess that is the difference between Fox sports and MLB... During the FS1 broadcast they brought up War multiple times, Fip a few times and didn't dismiss it. I absolutely understand why traditional baseball men have a problem with these concepts, simply because in order to feed the masses they are simplified into somewhat inaccurate terms, or are often overstated by their proponents, but ultimately as a broad spectrum idea, they need to accept them. Biggest example was Dips.... where it was stated that "a pitcher has no control over the ball once it's put into play"....obviously that isn't true as future studies have shown, but it's true enough to be a useful tool. Meanwhile the established baseball men focus on the weakness's instead of the big picture. (Same with quality starts, meanwhile they prop up Wins and RBI, while ignoring the flaws)

(Fox messed up today in my opinion in that they said "Gm's are looking at the War stat" which I think is an over statement and an understatement at the same time... War is a great concept, but it's backwards measuring tool, it measures past value, no GM should be looking at war in regards to players to acquire, at the same time, they should be thinking of how to maximize the war of their individual players....but ultimately it's more complicated issue for a gm than one simple stat)

49. chisoxcollector Posted: July 12, 2014 at 10:15 PM (#4749629)
silliness like Fip

(It's funny that we like era+ as a stat, and then people point to fip all the time, while not acknowledging that it's NOT PARK ADJUSTED)

Wait a minute. You called me out in the Chris Sale discussion because I didn't mention FIP in my stats-based argument, because in that case it benefited your argument... but now you complain that FIP is silly, because in this argument it doesn't make Wainwright look as good as Kershaw?
   50. Morph Posted: July 12, 2014 at 10:18 PM (#4749631)
48. I think you are right on it. For instance, I have a few issues with WAR, while appreciating the idea and intentions of the stat. But when the criticism seems to be stemming from a place of irrationality, it is easy to dismiss, or for the other person in the argument to assume they are dealing with an irrational person. One thing that concerns me about WAR is the lack of emphasis on how teams really click together and win games, which requires different approaches to offense from the top to the middle of the order. I have a real issue with believing Jason Heyward has been more valuable to the Braves than Justin Upton. Does he do more things well than Upton on a baseball field? Yes, that's probably true. But can the Braves win without Upton's power production in the middle of the order? Would they win more games with another strong defender and sub. .400 slugging percentage hitter in the lineup? I think not, but again, I'm open to discussion about it. My first reaction to that kind of conclusion though, is, admittedly, "no way."

But then I look at the top two in baseball (Trout and Tulo) and say, well, I agree with that. I think with me its a bit of a philosophical disagreement with the importance of defense, depending on position. Also, as always, defensive metrics fluctuate.

(using Fangraphs)
   51. Ziggy Posted: July 12, 2014 at 10:32 PM (#4749634)
Desmond had a great bunt a minute ago. Tied in the top of the ninth in Philly, Desmond on first and Harper, who came in through a double switch, at bat. And the mikes picked up a little kid in the stands saying "you better knock it out Harper".
   52. cardsfanboy Posted: July 12, 2014 at 10:35 PM (#4749636)
Wait a minute. You called me out in the Chris Sale discussion because I didn't mention FIP in my stats-based argument, because in that case it benefited your argument... but now you complain that FIP is silly, because in this argument it doesn't make Wainwright look as good as Kershaw?

I called your Chris Sale argument out because it didn't include all the details. You pulled out saber stats that helped your argument and forgot the ones that didn't. Ultimately I was arguing that Sale missed too many innings to feel snubbed, I just brought Fip in as another piece of the argument. Sale is at best the third best pitcher in baseball and at worst 8th best but I do not see anything separating Sale from Wainwright or Cueto or a few others, and he's fully and clearly behind Kershaw and Felix.

I don't oppose Fip, I oppose Fip without acknowledging that it doesn't argue for actual events. I oppose Fip when someone points out a pitcher from a known pitchers park, is putting up great numbers while not acknowledging their park factor.

I absolutely do not see how you can argue for Kershaw over Wainwright(assuming your argument is based upon this year stats)

When Wainwright has 40 more innings pitched, the equivalent era, better era+, both pitchers have 0 unearned runs allowed so there is nothing deceptive about their era, etc....

I have a real issue with believing Jason Heyward has been more valuable to the Braves than Justin Upton. Does he do more things well than Upton on a baseball field? Yes, that's probably true. But can the Braves win without Upton's power production in the middle of the order? Would they win more games with another strong defender and sub. .400 slugging percentage hitter in the lineup? I think not, but again, I'm open to discussion about it. My first reaction to that kind of conclusion though, is, admittedly, "no way."

I would argue similar points of view in regards to the Cardinals with Matt Adams being Upton and Peralta being Heyward.

But then I look at the top two in baseball (Trout and Tulo) and say, well, I agree with that. I think with me its a bit of a philosophical disagreement with the importance of defense, depending on position. Also, as always, defensive metrics fluctuate.

I agree with that, but I'm not sure I fully agree with the spread in those two cases.
   53. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: July 12, 2014 at 10:35 PM (#4749637)
Angels with 16th win in their last 20 games. Rangers with their 21st lost in their last 24 games. Talk about streaking in different directions.
   54. Rob_Wood Posted: July 13, 2014 at 12:27 AM (#4749649)
rangers left their starting pitcher in at least 2 batters too long to collect information on him since the game didn't mean anything to them (likely cost them the game)
   55. esseff Posted: July 13, 2014 at 12:36 AM (#4749652)
Cespedes with another amazing throw-out at the plate, but it may be overturned.
   56. esseff Posted: July 13, 2014 at 12:39 AM (#4749654)
Call stands. I think he was safe, but it's really close, so not surprising it's not overturned.
   57. Joyful Calculus Instructor Posted: July 13, 2014 at 01:09 AM (#4749656)
Dodgers just moved into first place in the National League. Not just the NL West; they have the best record in the whole league now. And to think they were 9.5 back of the Giants on June 8.
   58. esseff Posted: July 13, 2014 at 01:26 AM (#4749660)
Top eight in the NL are within three games of one another.
   59. TerpNats Posted: July 13, 2014 at 07:53 AM (#4749684)
This may be the most balanced MLB has been in some time, though unless someone goes on a tear, both AL wild-card teams will come out of the West (the three Coast teams will feast on the building Astros and decimated Rangers, just as the Yanks and Bosox did with the Orioles and Devil Rays back in the day). The trade deadline may help separate the wheat from the chaff.
   60. chisoxcollector Posted: July 13, 2014 at 10:59 AM (#4749693)
I don't oppose Fip, I oppose Fip without acknowledging that it doesn't argue for actual events. I oppose Fip when someone points out a pitcher from a known pitchers park, is putting up great numbers while not acknowledging their park factor.

And yet, you didn't mention park factors when you brought up FIP in the Chris Sale discussion. Per Fangraphs, from 2011-2013, Chris Sale's home park averaged a 104 park factor. Over the same time period, Felix Hernandez benefited from a 96 park factor, and Adam Wainwright benefited from a 97.

Basically, you oppose FIP when it hurts your case, but are all for it when it supports your case.
   61. Russlan is fond of Dillon Gee Posted: July 13, 2014 at 03:19 PM (#4749713)
Jake deGrom has been a pleasant surprise this year. He is having a better year than Wheeler, Montero, or Syndergaard so far and they were all more highly thought of than he was. Has really helped stabilize the rotation.
   62. cardsfanboy Posted: July 13, 2014 at 03:20 PM (#4749714)

And yet, you didn't mention park factors when you brought up FIP in the Chris Sale discussion. Per Fangraphs, from 2011-2013, Chris Sale's home park averaged a 104 park factor. Over the same time period, Felix Hernandez benefited from a 96 park factor, and Adam Wainwright benefited from a 97.

Basically, you oppose FIP when it hurts your case, but are all for it when it supports your case.

We were having two different discussions. You were arguing that Sale was probably the second best pitcher in baseball, fip is a useful stat in that determination. I'm talking about assigning a guy to start the all star game, (and assuming that the argument is based upon 1st half stats) fip has very little to do with that argument. Fip is theoretical predictive stat, and if you are talking the best in the game, you have to include fip since it's a forward looking argument. When looking backwards, fip doesn't matter, it's just a theory.

I'm talking about who is probably the best choice for starting the all star game for the NL, (and again, we are just using the half season of stats this year..I fully acknowledge other arguments for different time frames, and I personally pick my all star selections based upon roughly 40% current season, 30% last 365 days, 20% career,10% miscellaneous--see Jeter or picking a fun guy like Hamilton or Bo Jackson--but for starting pitching, I do think season to date is probably the best, although I'm not locked into that viewpoint) I just don't see how basing it upon season to date totals, that Kershaw can reasonably be seen as ahead of Wainwright. Kershaw is the better pitcher, and I don't think you'll see me having argued that point even once anywhere, but Wainwright is having the better year.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
The Id of SugarBear Blanks
for his generous support.