Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Wednesday, July 02, 2014

OMNICHATTER 7-2-2014

The “Hey, Batter Batter” OMNICHATTER

Gamingboy Posted: July 02, 2014 at 12:11 AM | 53 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: omnichatter

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. boteman is not here 'til October Posted: July 02, 2014 at 08:44 AM (#4741750)
Unnamed administration sources say that the Rockies @ Nationals game will start an hour earlier this evening. No reason was given.

Doug Fister goes tonight so it should be a quicker game than last night's.
   2. salvomania Posted: July 02, 2014 at 01:22 PM (#4741963)
Leadoff homer for Crisp vs. the shell of Justin Verlander.

And then a couple batters later another homer, by Brandon Moss.
   3. Kurt Posted: July 02, 2014 at 01:46 PM (#4741985)
Unnamed administration sources say that the Rockies @ Nationals game will start an hour earlier this evening. No reason was given.

They're doing fireworks after the game.
   4. boteman is not here 'til October Posted: July 02, 2014 at 01:54 PM (#4741993)
The Nats game Friday starts Rendonkulously early to accommodate the BIG 4th of July fireworks display that night; they want to get people out of the game and wherever they want to go to celebrate, so that's the reason for that.

If tonight is just regular old fireworks in the park, that makes no sense to me. They do that anyway, or at least they used to until they pissed off the D.C. fire chief and he shut down their fireworks displays for a time. I thought they kissed and made up since then. I know they lit off fireworks in 2012 when the clinched the NL East, as that was a fitting cause for celebration. Setting off fireworks after every victory seemed a bit much and was replaced by a lousy horn.
   5. Davo Dozier Posted: July 02, 2014 at 01:56 PM (#4741994)
Chris Parmelee has been on fire lately--it would be really nice if he could turn into even something like young Jason Kubel was (115 OPS+ with so-so defense) for us. Gotta be frustrating to watch him continually mash in the minors and then flail away in the Majors year after year.
   6. The Yankee Clapper Posted: July 02, 2014 at 02:00 PM (#4741999)
Major League Baseball commemorates the 75th Anniversary of Lou Gehrig's Farewell Address.

Lou does it better than Gary Cooper, but he gets a lot of help in the video.
   7. Snowboy Posted: July 02, 2014 at 02:18 PM (#4742011)
If you were one of the first 18,000 guests at Yankee Stadium today, you would have received a Lou Gehrig bobblehead.
   8. The Chronicles of Reddick Posted: July 02, 2014 at 03:24 PM (#4742070)
Once again Jim Johnson comes in and does nothing.....almost as predicable as the A's losing to Det.
   9. Walks Clog Up the Bases Posted: July 02, 2014 at 03:25 PM (#4742072)
He's had some bad luck, but the implosion was quite predictable. Looking like a sweep.
   10. Walks Clog Up the Bases Posted: July 02, 2014 at 03:28 PM (#4742075)
I can't believe they're still using Johnson in even remotely important situations. Chavez was clearly gassed, but your first choice out of the pen with two on and no out in a one-run game is Jim Johnson?
   11. Walks Clog Up the Bases Posted: July 02, 2014 at 03:32 PM (#4742081)
Well, at least I can go get some things done. This was shaping up to be a nice, closely contested ballgame.
   12. just plain joe Posted: July 02, 2014 at 03:34 PM (#4742083)
If you were one of the first 18,000 guests at Yankee Stadium today, you would have received a Lou Gehrig bobblehead.

This just cries out for some tasteless comment; yes, I'm a bad person.
   13. Every Inge Counts Posted: July 02, 2014 at 03:36 PM (#4742085)
Austin Jackson and Torii Hunter had really good games so far today with the bat.
   14. mathesond Posted: July 02, 2014 at 03:42 PM (#4742092)
Despite replacing Bautista with Gose and Lind with Mastroianni, the Jays manage to win in the bottom of the 9th on another Edwing home run.
   15. The Chronicles of Reddick Posted: July 02, 2014 at 03:52 PM (#4742102)
I normally don't put much on a series in the first 1/2 of the season in general, but they have to do something here as they can't be expecting to beat Det in a short series with the pitchers that they would be counting on. That is of course if they make it to the playoffs as the Angels are breathing down their necks.
   16. Walks Clog Up the Bases Posted: July 02, 2014 at 03:58 PM (#4742107)
Rod Allen was suggesting they go out and get David Price or Jeff Samardzija.
   17. AROM Posted: July 02, 2014 at 05:09 PM (#4742172)
It's tough when you can't depend on the pitchers with the lowest ERA in the league.
   18. Fred Lynn Nolan Ryan Sweeney Agonistes Posted: July 02, 2014 at 05:15 PM (#4742179)
I normally don't put much on a series in the first 1/2 of the season in general, but they have to do something here as they can't be expecting to beat Det in a short series with the pitchers that they would be counting on.

Eh, they lost 2 of the 3 games by one run. It's a long season, and that stuff happens sometimes.
   19. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: July 02, 2014 at 05:21 PM (#4742188)
Really excited to see the return of Tyler Skaggs for the Angels today. His one minor league rehab outing was ... well, not good, but he reported felt no pain at all in his hammy. He'd been really solid up until his last two outings, so it may have been a blessing in disguise to sit out a few weeks and let that arm rest up. It also lets the Angels not have to count on Matt Shoemaker and Hector Santiago all the time, even though Shoemaker's done really good work as the emergency #5 starter. If Skaggs is back where he was, both Shoemaker and Santiago could really bolster that bullpen.

The rotation's in generally very good shape. I'm pretty pleased with how things are going there. So... of course "starting pitching" will be the answer for today's...

HOW WILL THE ANGELS LOSE TODAY?
   20. Joyful Calculus Instructor Posted: July 02, 2014 at 05:52 PM (#4742221)
*throws chair*

When a reliever gives up back to back walks, you have to pull him. Wilson had nothing today. Ridiculous.
   21. salvomania Posted: July 02, 2014 at 05:53 PM (#4742222)
"Jumbo Diaz" in for the Reds in the 9th. I've never heard of this guy, but what a great name! Harkening back to the first half of the 20th century...
   22. salvomania Posted: July 02, 2014 at 06:00 PM (#4742232)
When a reliever gives up back to back walks, you have to pull him. Wilson had nothing today. Ridiculous.

I never understood how a reliever can enter the latter innings of a tight game and allow five baserunners while giving up the lead before he's removed.
   23. mathesond Posted: July 02, 2014 at 06:16 PM (#4742247)
Encarnacion after his game winning homer: "He hanged it, I banged it."
   24. cardsfanboy Posted: July 02, 2014 at 06:16 PM (#4742248)
"Jumbo Diaz" in for the Reds in the 9th. I've never heard of this guy, but what a great name! Harkening back to the first half of the 20th century...

There was a thread on it earlier last week. But yes, the name does harken back to the days of ole.
   25. Fat Al Posted: July 02, 2014 at 06:17 PM (#4742249)
Wait, there's a guy in baseball named Kike Hernandez?

Kike Hernandez hit his first major league home run in the Astros' loss to the Mariners on Wednesday.
It was a fifth-inning solo shot off Mariners starter Chris Young. Hernandez was raking this season in the Astros' minor league system and may be worth picking up in AL-only fantasy leagues. He can play multiple positions, so Houston should be able to find him playing time.
   26. boteman is not here 'til October Posted: July 02, 2014 at 06:33 PM (#4742263)
"Kike" is short for Enrique, just like Rickey! is short for Sam.

And I hear that Jumbo Diaz is a nephew of Refrigerator Perry. Actually, when I saw him pitch the other night he looked more like Extra-Large Diaz rather than Jumbo. They were commenting that his roster weight lists him at 315 pounds while he really tips the scales at about 275 pounds these day.

The Nationals early start is actually not so early. After a dry rain delay they are starting at about 18:35 ET. I guess the expected rain will be delayed.
   27. boteman is not here 'til October Posted: July 02, 2014 at 06:42 PM (#4742275)
Man, I wasn't kidding about Fister working quickly, although he had a little help from the Rockies. 9 pitches, including a first pitch popout, and the Nats are coming to bat in the bottom of the 1st.
   28. 'Spos lost the handle trying to make the transfer Posted: July 02, 2014 at 08:07 PM (#4742329)
"Kike" is short for Enrique

sort of like Jaime being short for Chaim?
   29. Walks Clog Up the Bases Posted: July 02, 2014 at 08:22 PM (#4742332)
My god, Travis Wood has just been tedious to watch so far. He's only given up a run, but has given up five hits, two walks, and every at-bat seems to be at least five or six pitches.
   30. boteman is not here 'til October Posted: July 02, 2014 at 08:43 PM (#4742339)
After a 3:42 rain delay replay review, Ian Desmond can trot from 3B the rest of the way home. He hit a ball that caromed off the railing just above and beyond the right CF wall and was fairly apparent that it was not in play, especially since Stubbs gave up on it to watch it bounce back onto the field without going after it. Nobody on Country Joe West's crew (including all his many chins) signaled home run so Desmond hustled all the way to thirdbase.

It is left as an exercise to the reader whether that's hours:minutes or minutes:seconds although it felt like the former.

edit: On an unrelated note, but since I already posted this one, third baseman Ryan Zimmerman dove to spear a ball and threw a decent throw to 1B from his knees. Not bad for a washed up, injured, aging veteran. He's now out of the game after the Desmond homer gave the Nats the lead so he can rest up for the off day tomorrow.
   31. boteman is not here 'til October Posted: July 02, 2014 at 09:23 PM (#4742356)
R. Soriano made it a bit more interesting than fans would've liked, but he finally got Mr. Rutledge to fly out after a couple really long ABs by the bottom of the Rockies order.

Now we'll see how useless the Mets can be to determine 1st place for a day or so. The Nats have Thursday off, then host the Cubbies, although that Friday game might get rained out by Hurricane Arthur as he passes off of O.City on his way north.
   32. Snowboy Posted: July 02, 2014 at 09:31 PM (#4742359)
The injury-riddled Rangers try their 11th SP of the year tonight, Miles Mikolas.
He was drafted in 2009 by the Padres, and after starting a few games they made him a reliever in the minors. He pitched 32 1/3 innings for the Padres in 2012 (101 ERA+) but less than 2IP for them 2013, and they dealt him to Pittsburgh in a minors deal this offseason, and Pittsburgh flipped him to Texas a month later.

He came out of spring training injured (who didn't, among pitchers, for Texas this year?)
After a few bullpen efforts, AAA Round Rock turned him back into a starter this spring. He's a sinker/slider guy, with more hits allowed than innings pitched; does not have a cartoon out pitch or anything, pitches to contact, and is very stingy with walks.

Mikolas did pretty good against the Orioles tonight. First major league start of his career. Pretty good fastball, touching 94 early in the game.
Removed from the game with a 4-1 lead in the 6th, 2 runners on.
   33. Rob_Wood Posted: July 02, 2014 at 09:55 PM (#4742367)
poorly played (and pitched) game cubs vs red sox on espn -- terrible display of major league baseball
   34. boteman is not here 'til October Posted: July 02, 2014 at 09:59 PM (#4742370)
From the Brad Penny desk (remember him???):
@joecapMARLINS: Brad Penny hit 93 tonight on radar for class A Jupiter vs Palm Beach Cardinal, threw some nasty sliders but hung a few curveballs. 7 hits, a couple hit hard, 1 plunked batter, 4 ER, 2 KOs. He had 70+ pitches, plus a lot of balls http://t.co/eRh932neXS #Marlins

He doesn't mention how many innings he pitched, but that doesn't seem like an impressive outing for a Major League quality pitcher against A-ball hitters.
   35. Good cripple hitter Posted: July 02, 2014 at 10:05 PM (#4742375)
Penny pitched 4 2/3 innings.
   36. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: July 02, 2014 at 10:22 PM (#4742381)
Tyler Skaggs so far: 7 IP, 5 hits, 2 runs, 1 walk, 6 strikeouts, just 84 pitches. Strong return from the DL, and Josh Hamilton just tied the game up with a solo, 2-2. I'm just thrilled by the outing, and I hope Scioscia keeps Skaggs in there.

Edit: Bah. Skaggs throws three pitches in the 8th and gets two outs, and Scioscia pulls him. 87 pitches. I assume they had him on some sort of pitch count. Excellent return.
   37. cardsfanboy Posted: July 02, 2014 at 10:46 PM (#4742393)
Wainwright is being squeezed in San Francisco....still pitching very well, but man it's a tight zone.
   38. cardsfanboy Posted: July 02, 2014 at 10:50 PM (#4742395)
Taveras with the leadoff double, drawback he's batting seventh in the lineup and has Ellis and Wainwright to try and drive him in...

edit: Ellis delivers a single to make it first and third no outs...is the 26(?) scoreless inning steak about to end?
   39. Rob_Wood Posted: July 02, 2014 at 10:52 PM (#4742397)
Rick Sutcliffe just weighed in on the frequent over-shifts employed in today's baseball. He is 100% in favor of it and wishes that these types of shifts were used in his day.
   40. cardsfanboy Posted: July 02, 2014 at 10:56 PM (#4742400)
Wainwright strikes out....on a bunt attempt and didn't make contact.

Carpenter gets called strike on the first pitch, which was a ball when Wainwright was pitching...Carpenter doesn't care as he drives in the run with a single up the middle....26 innings without a run is now over...men on first and third and one out with the human gidp up to bat.... Let's score some more runs.
   41. cardsfanboy Posted: July 02, 2014 at 10:58 PM (#4742404)
Rick Sutcliffe just weighed in on the frequent over-shifts employed in today's baseball. He is 100% in favor of it and wishes that these types of shifts were used in his day.

They didn't have the data in his day. I'm a fan of shifts when there are nobody on base, but find it to be ridiculous to do with a man on base, and even more ridiculous when it works in that situation. Drop the damn bunt down in that situation...heck half effort poke swing should do the trick..

Cardinals with a deluge of runs....2 runs in one inning.... That is a certified miracle.
   42. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: July 02, 2014 at 11:01 PM (#4742405)
The rotation's in generally very good shape. I'm pretty pleased with how things are going there. So... of course "starting pitching" will be the answer for today's...

HOW WILL THE ANGELS LOSE TODAY?
Nope, same reason as always: bullpen.
   43. Snowboy Posted: July 02, 2014 at 11:06 PM (#4742409)
Man they love baseball in SF.
Look at the size of that crowd...and it's chilly. Lots of hoodies and toques, the umps are wearing jackets, the coaches are wearing turtlenecks (well, Oquendo the Cards 3B coach is wearing a hooded parka under his uniform, that might be overkill?)
It's *hot* here, isn't it the same where you are? I bet you're sitting in AC, but they are wearing woolies.
   44. cardsfanboy Posted: July 02, 2014 at 11:09 PM (#4742412)
About time Wainwright got a call to go his way. This zone is a high and thin zone....not where Wainwright normally pitches.
   45. boteman is not here 'til October Posted: July 02, 2014 at 11:13 PM (#4742414)
I'm glad that the bundled up fans in S.F. get to see the game. Those of us watching on TV only get brief glimpses of a pitch and if we're lucky the fielders throwing the ball to the bases. But mostly the Bay Area Comcast feed focuses, as ever, on fat little kids getting fatter stuffing their faces with cheese fries in the stands, the latest charity drive, boats anchored in China Basin, and anything except the game on the field. I tolerate this so I can get my Jon Miller fix, but it's trying.

I can't wait for the post-season when we get those multiple camera angles on the Net feed without all the b.s. distractions.
   46. Jolly Old St. Nick Still Gags in October Posted: July 02, 2014 at 11:24 PM (#4742422)
Here's the first really hopeful development in the Bronx since about 2009:

Yanks open international signing period with spree

The New York Yankees made their presence felt with an international spending spree on Wednesday, the first day international free agents could sign with teams.

According to industry sources, New York agreed to terms with several highly regarded international prospects, including shortstop Dermis Garcia, ranked No. 1 on MLB.com's Top 30 International Prospects list for a $3 million signing bonus, along with Dominican third baseman Nelson Gomez (ranked No. 2) for $2.25 million, Dominican outfielder Juan DeLeon (No. 5) for $2 million, Venezuelan outfielders Jonathan Amundaray (No. 7) for $1.5 million and Antonio Arias (No. 9) for $800,000....

And so on. Looks as if they'll be hit by a stiff fine and additional penalties for going over the limit by about 500 MPH, but it might still be worth it.

47. Snowboy Posted: July 02, 2014 at 11:32 PM (#4742425)
boteman, the coverage is about the same on CSN, just maybe a little less crowd coverage and of course without the Jon Miller attraction.
They've shown the boats, and the kids eating garlic fries, and the outfield deck with the herb garden, etc.
STL is only leading 2-0, facing Vogelsong, thru 4.
   48. greenback calls it soccer Posted: July 02, 2014 at 11:46 PM (#4742431)
Only?
   49. The Yankee Clapper Posted: July 02, 2014 at 11:50 PM (#4742435)
Looks as if they'll be hit by a stiff fine and additional penalties for going over the limit by about 500 MPH, but it might still be worth it.

If I understand the article correctly, the Yankees spent $14M for the #s 1, 2, 5, 7, 9, 13, 14, 16 & 25 international prospects, as well as an unranked prospect, 10 players in all. That's much cheaper than the current rate for top Cuban defectors, the other open market source. The way the penalties are structured, it makes sense to really stock up, even if you go way over the limit, since the main penalty is limited participation in the following year(s) signing period:
In the most severe penalty, teams that exceed the pool by more than 15 percent are not allowed to sign a player for more than $300,000 during the next two signing periods, in addition to paying a 100 percent tax on the pool overage.

So, the the real cost of those 10 prospects is ~$25M, and only lower-cost international signings for the next two years. Could well be worth it, but the organization has to be right on its assessment of the prospects it signed and, to some degree, what they'll miss over the next two years. That's a lot to get right, but possibly worth the gamble given how difficult it is to build through the draft without being really bad for a significant period.
   50. Perry Posted: July 02, 2014 at 11:59 PM (#4742439)
Sac bunt, batter out 5 unassisted. Not sure I've ever seen that. Matt Carpenter vs. Giants -- charged in VERY aggressively, fielded the ball near the 1st base line, tagged the batter.
   51. cardsfanboy Posted: July 03, 2014 at 12:00 AM (#4742440)
Sac bunt, batter out 5 unassisted. Not sure I've ever seen that. Matt Carpenter vs. Giants -- charged in VERY aggressively, fielded the ball near the 1st base line, tagged the batter.

Carpenter is very aggressive on the sac bunts, somebody is going to hit him with the bat someday.
   52. cardsfanboy Posted: July 03, 2014 at 12:39 AM (#4742452)
Giants are making it possible for Wainwright to finish the game. Over aggressive swinging has allowed him to keep his pitch count down the last two innings.
   53. cardsfanboy Posted: July 03, 2014 at 01:07 AM (#4742457)
Cardinals win 2-0...Wainwright takes the NL lead in era and wins with 11-4, 1.89 era.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama
for his generous support.