Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Saturday, August 23, 2014

OMNICHATTER 8 23 2014

OMNICHATTER meets the Wolf Man

Gamingboy Posted: August 23, 2014 at 11:15 AM | 88 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: omnichatter

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. odds are meatwad is drunk Posted: August 23, 2014 at 02:48 PM (#4777755)
rough start for hendricks so far, lets hope he can limit the damage
   2. Every Inge Counts Posted: August 23, 2014 at 02:55 PM (#4777757)
The Tigers are done.
   3. Dale Sams Posted: August 23, 2014 at 03:08 PM (#4777759)
The Tigers are storming back!

I sure hope the Red Sox have some interesting plans for starting pitchers next year. Right now they have a couple of #3-4 starters and that. Is. It.
   4. Spahn Insane Posted: August 23, 2014 at 03:24 PM (#4777764)
Both teams teeing off at Wrigley, and the thunderstorm's about to hit. Both pitchers might end up getting lifted after this.
   5. Baldrick Posted: August 23, 2014 at 03:58 PM (#4777772)
The Red Sox really ought to avoid getting a 3-0 lead. They gave up 5 runs in the 9th last night to lose to the Mariners. And then raced to a 3-0 lead today, only to give up 7 runs in the 4th inning.
   6. Every Inge Counts Posted: August 23, 2014 at 03:59 PM (#4777773)
But seriously this sucks. Twins have scored 32 runs in 2 games (and this one isn't over yet...)
   7. Baldrick Posted: August 23, 2014 at 04:04 PM (#4777775)
Ortiz and Furbush take approximately 2 minutes in between each pitch, and eventually Furbush hits Ortiz on the forearm. Ortiz lets out an F-bomb at about 120 decibels. VERY clearly audible on the TV. Good stuff.
   8. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: August 23, 2014 at 04:05 PM (#4777777)
Who the hell intentionally walks a hitter in the third inning of an 8-1 game? With a pitcher you just brought in the game?
   9. Los Angeles El Hombre de Anaheim Posted: August 23, 2014 at 04:07 PM (#4777779)
But seriously this sucks. Twins have scored 32 runs in 2 games (and this one isn't over yet...)
Scherzer goes tomorrow. Your short regional nightmare will be over soon. ... maybe.
   10. Roger McDowell spit on me! Posted: August 23, 2014 at 04:28 PM (#4777794)
This has probably been mentioned before, but what is up with Jose Reyes' hair?
   11. Random Transaction Generator Posted: August 23, 2014 at 05:39 PM (#4777814)
Protest by the Rays to be reviewed by MLB tonight.
Maddon is right that the umpire shouldn't have allowed the video review (as the pitcher was on the rubber and the batter in the batters box).
Gregg Zaun (Jays studio guy) said (paraphrasing), "Maddon is right and, as usual, Bob Davidson (crew chief) is wrong again."

Zaun must have some serious beef with Davidson from his playing days...
   12. Los Angeles El Hombre de Anaheim Posted: August 23, 2014 at 06:00 PM (#4777822)
Everything's going good for the Nats right now. Even their outs are squared up.
   13. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: August 23, 2014 at 06:03 PM (#4777825)
Nice to see that at least one Chicago team can make it to the deciding game of the World Series.
   14. Joey B. Posted: August 23, 2014 at 06:05 PM (#4777828)
It's kind of hard to believe this guy is s two time Cy Young Award winner.
   15. Joey B. Posted: August 23, 2014 at 06:15 PM (#4777832)
Droooooooooobs.
   16. SoSHially Unacceptable Posted: August 23, 2014 at 07:16 PM (#4777849)
Maddon is right that the umpire shouldn't have allowed the video review (as the pitcher was on the rubber and the batter in the batters box).

We could have two successful protests in a week, though I suppose it depends on Davidson's explanation to the league office. But it's hard to argue against the Rays' case on the facts.
   17. Joey B. Posted: August 23, 2014 at 07:55 PM (#4777859)
Bang, zoom, it's a new streak beginning Curly W in the books!
   18. God Posted: August 23, 2014 at 08:10 PM (#4777864)
Maddon doesn't have a case. The rule reads:

"For purposes of these Regulations, the next 'play' shall commence when the pitcher is on the rubber preparing to start his delivery and the batter has entered the batter's box (unless the defensive team initiates an appeal play in which case any call made during the play prior to the appeal still may be subject to Replay Review)."

The part in parentheses applies to exactly the situation we have here. The Jays were the defensive team, so Gibbons' appeal seems clearly allowable.
   19. shoelesjoe Posted: August 23, 2014 at 08:48 PM (#4777870)
unless the defensive team initiates an appeal play in which case any call made during the play prior to the appeal still may be subject to Replay Review

I think that refers to an "appeal play" where the runner is suspected of tagging up before a fly ball was caught. The play in question today was a pickoff at first.
   20. A Random 8-Year-Old Eskimo Posted: August 23, 2014 at 08:49 PM (#4777871)
It wasn't an appeal play, I believe.

EDIT: Too many negatives.
   21. cardsfanboy Posted: August 23, 2014 at 08:49 PM (#4777872)
(internet is back up..yea...---charter supposedly had a nationwide downage)

We could have two successful protests in a week, though I suppose it depends on Davidson's explanation to the league office. But it's hard to argue against the Rays' case on the facts.

Would be interesting to see happen, but I think that if the protest is just because of an inappropriate application of the replay rule(note: I don't know what happened, just interpreting from the comments here) that MLB will just say the officiating crew was wrong, but ultimately the correct call was made, so the ruling on the field stays. (I'm assuming what happened was that a replay was instituted after it was not supposed to happen based upon post 11)
   22. God Posted: August 23, 2014 at 08:56 PM (#4777877)
So I was reading "appeal" as meaning "appeal to the replay officials," but now I see that it refers to the kind of appeal where you miss a base or whatever. I'm sure that's the correct interpretation. So I was wrong and Joe Maddon was (is) right.

So, let's say Maddon's correct about the rule. Should the protest be upheld? This is one case where the "letter of the rule" is in direct opposition to the "spirit of the rule." Myers was in fact out. Isn't the point of replay to get the calls right? Shouldn't MLB err on the side of getting as many calls right as possible?

I'm not even sure what my own opinion is on this. It's not an easy question.
   23. Random Transaction Generator Posted: August 23, 2014 at 08:58 PM (#4777878)
I'm not even sure what happens if they rule in favour of Maddon.
Do they replay the entire game?
Do they go back to the point of the replay request and play from there?
   24. cardsfanboy Posted: August 23, 2014 at 09:01 PM (#4777879)
Great camera angle in the Cardinal game. Taveras hits a in between single and the outfielder throws it away trying to get the runner at third and the runner scored, meanwhile Taveras reaches third. The camera angle was showing the entire infield and was perfect for that play. No zooming in, so you can see Pierzynski scoring, Taveras rounding the bases and the Phillies defense not making the right decisions and covering third late. I love it when they show the entire play unfolding.
   25. cardsfanboy Posted: August 23, 2014 at 09:02 PM (#4777880)
Do they go back to the point of the replay request and play from there?

That is generally what happens when an appeal is upheld(see Giants vs Cubs earlier this week and the Pine Tar incident)
   26. greenback calls it soccer Posted: August 23, 2014 at 09:03 PM (#4777881)
The Phillies apparently are re-enacting the 2006 World Series tonight.
   27. cardsfanboy Posted: August 23, 2014 at 09:03 PM (#4777882)
Phillies defense is "unravelling" as Miller bunts Taveras in, and Jay(who was on first) manages to score as the Phillies throw the ball away. 5-2 Cardinals. :) (although Miller should have made it to third)
   28. cardsfanboy Posted: August 23, 2014 at 09:05 PM (#4777883)
I knew the Cardinals were doing well lately, but they have scored 4 or more runs in the last 10 games. That should be helping to pull their offensive numbers up a bit.
   29. Random Transaction Generator Posted: August 23, 2014 at 09:10 PM (#4777887)
That is generally what happens when an appeal is upheld(see Giants vs Cubs earlier this week and the Pine Tar incident)

But those games ended at that point. The Giants/Cubs simply forced them to resume, so nothing happened after that.
The Pine Tar game also ended on that play, so nothing happened after that.

In this case, we have 6 more innings of play that happened after the protest.
Do those stats just disappear from the history books?
   30. Random Transaction Generator Posted: August 23, 2014 at 09:18 PM (#4777889)
It seems that the crew chief's version of the story is that a thumbs up from Gibbons in the dugout (and not coming out of the dugout) is what he used to determine if there was a replay challenge.

"I was at third base and I've got everything in front of me," Davidson said to a pool reporter following the game. "I see Buehrle, he's on the rubber, and as I'm seeing Escobar getting ready -- from my judgment -- to get into the box, now I see Gibbons giving the thumbs up that he's coming out. So I thought, in my judgment, that it was in time to file a challenge on the play."

So no red flags are needed in baseball for a challenge, just a thumbs up it seems.

To me, it sounds like he's covering his ass with this version of the story.
I wonder if there is a wide shot of 3B ump/Jays dugout that can prove/disprove this version.
   31. SoSHially Unacceptable Posted: August 23, 2014 at 09:20 PM (#4777891)
So, let's say Maddon's correct about the rule. Should the protest be upheld? This is one case where the "letter of the rule" is in direct opposition to the "spirit of the rule." Myers was in fact out. Isn't the point of replay to get the calls right? Shouldn't MLB err on the side of getting as many calls right as possible?

I don't see any way that Maddon isn't right about the rule* and that the Jays should not have been allowed go to to replay at that point.

Now, it's possible that Davidson can argue that the crew didn't notice/didn't believe that the conditions were in place that would prohibit a review, and if the league concurs the Rays are out of luck. That would be a judgment call.

EDIT: RTG's 30 suggests Davison is going with didn't believe the conditions were in place. Not sure what the rule is regarding signaling an official challenge, but chances are the Rays are out of luck.

But if the league concludes that Davidson and company ignored that the conditions were in place, then the league should uphold the protest, and pick up the game at the point where it left off (Meyer on first, Buehrle pitching to the batter). Everything that came after it would be wiped out, including the statistics. The rule would have been misapplied, which is what is required for a successful protest.**

* As others, I read "appeal" as referring to a missed base/left early situation. And that makes perfect sense. The league would want the defensive team to go through the proper channel for review (the appeal play) before calling for instant replay to determine the question.

** Or, apparently, the Giants are sad.
   32. cardsfanboy Posted: August 23, 2014 at 09:23 PM (#4777892)

In this case, we have 6 more innings of play that happened after the protest.
Do those stats just disappear from the history books?

According to retrosheet the protests upheld is supposed to resume from the time of the call, unfortunately with charter having problems, I'm not able to provide a link or fully read everything(google search 'mlb protests upheld history')
   33. cardsfanboy Posted: August 23, 2014 at 09:28 PM (#4777896)
I don't see any way that Maddon isn't right about the rule* and that the Jays should not have been allowed go to to replay at that point.

Now, it's possible that Davidson can argue that the crew didn't notice/didn't believe that the conditions were in place that would prohibit a review, and if the league concurs the Rays are out of luck. That would be a judgment call.

I don't see anyway that the protest is upheld, regardless of the umpires mistake in allowing the replay, the correct call was eventually made, so there is no basis (other than lawyer ball) to uphold the protest. (Before replay even existed in mlb, there was a Cardinal/Brewer game in which the umpires actually went to a camera and watched a replay and over turned a homerun call, there was a protest on that play, and the league ruled that the umpires were wrong to go to replay, but since the correct call was enacted, that the protest was denied)

Add in that the pine tar incident, the decision was made that the spirit of the rule is more important than the legalese of the rule.
   34. SoSHially Unacceptable Posted: August 23, 2014 at 09:38 PM (#4777898)
I don't see anyway that the protest is upheld, regardless of the umpires mistake in allowing the replay, the correct call was eventually made, so there is no basis (other than lawyer ball) to uphold the protest.

You would be wrong. Successful protests are founded on one thing - did the umpires misapply the rules of the game. That's it. Whether the call was correct (the judgment part) is not supposed to be a consideration.

Before replay even existed in mlb, there was a Cardinal/Brewer game in which the umpires actually went to a camera and watched a replay and over turned a homerun call, there was a protest on that play, and the league ruled that the umpires were wrong to go to replay, but since the correct call was enacted, that the protest was denied)

A) Cite?
B) The league hates to uphold protests, even when it should. If your description of events is accurate, the protest should have been upheld.
   35. God Posted: August 23, 2014 at 09:49 PM (#4777900)
You would be wrong. Successful protests are founded on one thing - did the umpires misapply the rules of the game. That's it. Whether the call was correct (the judgment part) is not supposed to be a consideration.

That's true enough. But as anyone with half a lick of common sense knows, when making its ruling the MLB office probably will take whether the call was correct into account, whether they are supposed to or not.
   36. SoSHially Unacceptable Posted: August 23, 2014 at 09:54 PM (#4777902)
That's true enough. But as anyone with half a lick of common sense knows, when making its ruling the MLB office probably will take whether the call was correct into account, whether they are supposed to or not.

Under Bud, that's probably, if sadly, true.

37. Baldrick Posted: August 23, 2014 at 10:17 PM (#4777909)
Under Bud, that's probably, if sadly, true.

Why 'sadly'? What, exactly, is the problem with discretionary application of the rules to achieve commonsensical results?

People fetishize rules way too much. The difficult questions arise with edge cases where we are genuinely in doubt about whether the good that is achieved is worth an erosion of the principle of shared rules that create mutual expectations. But this doesn't seem anywhere near an edge case. Applying the letter of the rule in a legalistic sense, to roll back a game in the service of a call that was correctly overturned, is a relatively tough argument to make.
   38. Baldrick Posted: August 23, 2014 at 10:28 PM (#4777913)
I haven't watched much of Verlander this year. Has his pitch speed been this slow the whole year? He's sitting right around 90-92 now for his fastball, which is quite a drop.
   39. Ziggy Posted: August 23, 2014 at 10:30 PM (#4777914)
So CLE/HOU comes back from commercials for the bottom of the 9th. CLE announces a pinch hitter, HOU brings in a reliever. Back to commercials, zero pitches thrown between commercial brakes. And then the new pitcher completely craps the bed and the Astros lose the game. Serves them right.
   40. Ziggy Posted: August 23, 2014 at 10:36 PM (#4777915)
I can't see them wiping out six innings of play. I'd imagine that Bud would come in with the "best interests of baseball" or something and deny the protest. Baseball has been known to make up rules on the fly before - all-star games that end in a tie, world series games that are played in a monsoon and then resumed instead of called.
   41. cardsfanboy Posted: August 23, 2014 at 10:36 PM (#4777916)
A) Cite?

I'm on charter, I'm lucky enough if I can get this website to work long enough for me to post a comment once every 30 minutes today. I'll look and probably find it (although I might have the events backwards, it might have been a double that they ruled a homerun... memory is hazy, but it was before MLB had replay, even on homeruns--which started in 2009)

B) The league hates to uphold protests, even when it should. If your description of events is accurate, the protest should have been upheld.

I'm just guessing as to what happened based upon comments in this thread...again, Charter is having huge problems today so it's impossible to look into anything without it taking 15+ minutes. But if the right call was made, there is absolutely no way I imagine MLB will rule in favor of the protest(especially as you point out, they hate ruling in favor of upholding the protest) they will say (and I'm pretty sure that they have already said this once this year) that the umpires made a mistake and shouldn't have gone to replay, but since the call is now correct, that they won't uphold the protest.
   42. SoSHially Unacceptable Posted: August 23, 2014 at 10:38 PM (#4777917)
Why 'sadly'? What, exactly, is the problem with discretionary application of the rules to achieve commonsensical results?

MLB wrote the rules on when replay could be invoked just six months ago. Presumably, the league wrote them as written for specific reasons. If MLB wanted teams to be able to go to replay up until the next pitch was thrown, or three pitches later, or the following Tuesday, the league could have written the rule that way. If they wanted protests to get thrown out because of some commensense outcome through discreationary application, they could have updated the rule on protests. They did none of those things.

Some people around here obsess over finding the next great valuation metric, or following prospects, or history. I love me some baseball rulebook, and it irks the hell out of me when baseball can't follow it's own ####### rules.
   43. cardsfanboy Posted: August 23, 2014 at 10:47 PM (#4777921)

Some people around here obsess over finding the next great valuation metric, or following prospects, or history. I love me some baseball rulebook, and it irks the hell out of me when baseball can't follow it's own ####### rules.

Then argue for the Cardinals.... Wong hit a ball that bounced off the wall, hit the outfielder and went over the fence in which the umpires ruled it an automatic double... but a strict interpretation of the rule, would argue that the runner should be on third at least(awarded two bases, and the batter was already on first) yet the ruling was it was inadvertent(which the rule doesn't specify)
   44. cardsfanboy Posted: August 23, 2014 at 10:54 PM (#4777922)
Bourjos hit a ball and was out, umpire called him out, and replay called him out, and the call was correct, but it is arguably as close of a play as possible. If people argue tie goes to the runner, this is arguable, but I do think he was actually out, but man it was close and accents how tough of a job the umpires have and how good they are at that job. (most of them anyway)
   45. greenback calls it soccer Posted: August 23, 2014 at 10:58 PM (#4777924)
The Cardinals are LHB-heavy without Molina and Craig, and the Phillies have shoved it in their faces tonight.
   46. cardsfanboy Posted: August 23, 2014 at 11:04 PM (#4777930)
The Cardinals are LHB-heavy without Molina and Craig, and the Phillies have shoved it in their faces tonight.

Which is why we need to call up either Pham or Grichuk.
Not sure why we bothered calling up Garcia with Ellis on the Dl. We have enough infielders to flex around if necessary.
   47. Ziggy Posted: August 23, 2014 at 11:13 PM (#4777932)
Why did Mike Trout forget how to hit baseballs? I know he hit a home run yesterday, but man he's been brutally bad lately. Hitting baseballs is FUN, you'd think he'd want to do more of it.
   48. cardsfanboy Posted: August 23, 2014 at 11:22 PM (#4777936)
The internet is going to go wild...Michael Sam sacked Johnny football. (not baseball related I know, but SBNation is already having fun with this one)
   49. theboyqueen Posted: August 23, 2014 at 11:22 PM (#4777938)
I am not really seeing anything "bad" in either of these A's-Angels games. They have been playing wonderful baseball; I hope this one goes extras.
   50. cardsfanboy Posted: August 23, 2014 at 11:23 PM (#4777939)
Cardinals can't score a run, even if the other team is actively trying to give them a run.
   51. greenback calls it soccer Posted: August 23, 2014 at 11:23 PM (#4777940)
Thank you, Matt Holliday...
   52. cardsfanboy Posted: August 23, 2014 at 11:31 PM (#4777942)
12th inning coming up... 5-5 in Philly..
   53. cardsfanboy Posted: August 23, 2014 at 11:32 PM (#4777943)
This charter stuff sucks...can't confidently surf the web to research or debate or argue anything as 90% of the sites aren't working. Funny thing is MLB.com for watching the game through my proxy server is working just fine. (wonder if I should use this computer through the proxy server also?)
   54. greenback calls it soccer Posted: August 23, 2014 at 11:36 PM (#4777944)
Set your DNS to 8.8.8.8 to fix the Charter thing.

Why is Jay bunting in front of Bourjos?
   55. cardsfanboy Posted: August 23, 2014 at 11:38 PM (#4777946)
Why is Jay bunting in front of Bourjos?

was wondering about that also. But it seemed to have worked.... Bourjos can't hit the ball farther than 70 feet, but it works for him sometimes.
   56. cardsfanboy Posted: August 23, 2014 at 11:46 PM (#4777955)
Cardinals somehow manage to score 6 runs (leading 6-5) in a game in which the Phillies really wanted the Cardinals to score 11 runs.
   57. greenback calls it soccer Posted: August 23, 2014 at 11:48 PM (#4777957)
Would've been nice if Holliday had done something there, since Rosenthal has to give up at least one single and one walk.
   58. Infinite Joost (Voxter) Posted: August 23, 2014 at 11:53 PM (#4777960)
Q: On the MLB network, how do they decide whose announcers you're hearing. We definitely have A's announcers on the A's-Angels tilt tonight, at least here in Mariners territory.
   59. cardsfanboy Posted: August 23, 2014 at 11:53 PM (#4777961)
Holliday's defense always surprises me.
   60. Infinite Joost (Voxter) Posted: August 23, 2014 at 11:54 PM (#4777963)
Holliday, despite the cockshot thing, is a pretty good fielder. Used to be a really good one in his Rockies/A's days.
   61. cardsfanboy Posted: August 23, 2014 at 11:54 PM (#4777964)
Q: On the MLB network, how do they decide whose announcers you're hearing. We definitely have A's announcers on the A's-Angels tilt tonight, at least here in Mariners territory.

you mean from the web, or from the tv broadcast?
The web you can choose which broadcast you get. The default is the hometeam broadcast.
   62. Infinite Joost (Voxter) Posted: August 23, 2014 at 11:55 PM (#4777965)
Jesus, Josh Donaldson looks terrible when he runs.
   63. greenback calls it soccer Posted: August 23, 2014 at 11:55 PM (#4777966)
Holliday, despite the cockshot thing, is a pretty good fielder.

LOL. He's a disaster out there now.
   64. Infinite Joost (Voxter) Posted: August 23, 2014 at 11:56 PM (#4777967)
TV broadcast. It must be the home team thing.

On the intertubes, I'll usually listen to the announcing team of the team I hate less. Unless it's Hawk Harrelson, and then I'd rather listen to an airplane taking off.

Jesus, Smith is hitting EVERYBODY.
   65. cardsfanboy Posted: August 23, 2014 at 11:56 PM (#4777968)
Holliday, despite the cockshot thing, is a pretty good fielder. Used to be a really good one in his Rockies/A's days.

I defend Holliday's defense, as it's not as bad as people like to act as the standards in left is pretty low but, he's actually pretty often pretty good, but when he is bad it's ugly as heck. (and it sticks in peoples mind, I still hear about how bad Holliday is because of a bad play in the playoffs several years ago)
   66. Infinite Joost (Voxter) Posted: August 23, 2014 at 11:56 PM (#4777969)
He's a disaster out there now.

Really? I guess my impressions are a few years out of date.

when he is bad it's ugly as heck

Yeah, as the cockshot thing shows. He's slow and awkward. But he gets to balls, or at least he used to.
   67. Infinite Joost (Voxter) Posted: August 23, 2014 at 11:58 PM (#4777971)
CRISP SCORES ON A PASSED BALL! Smith has been absolutely all over the place tonight.
   68. Infinite Joost (Voxter) Posted: August 23, 2014 at 11:59 PM (#4777972)
. . . and the inning ends on a harmless foul popup. Baseball is such a weird & cool game.
   69. greenback calls it soccer Posted: August 23, 2014 at 11:59 PM (#4777973)
He was a decent defensive OF, because he generally gets good jumps and runs OK, but he's slowed down, and his hands have somehow become even more stoney than they were in the 2009 NLDS. He's painful to watch, because he (rightly) has no confidence.
   70. cardsfanboy Posted: August 23, 2014 at 11:59 PM (#4777974)
Really? I guess my impressions are a few years out of date.

no he is not. he's solid out there. Greenback thinks Adams who is an above average defender is pitiful, and Holliday who is average, is the worst thing ever.
   71. cardsfanboy Posted: August 24, 2014 at 12:01 AM (#4777976)
Victory. 1/2 game out, with the team maybe finding it's offense, I think we have a real shot at this thing.
   72. greenback calls it soccer Posted: August 24, 2014 at 12:03 AM (#4777977)
Greenback thinks Adams who is an above average defender is pitiful, and Holliday who is average, is the worst thing ever.

No, greenback thinks Adams is a mediocre defensive 1b. And I remember Chris Duncan in LF, who was the worst thing ever. Well, actually Adam Dunn was the worst thing ever, and by the end Jason Bay was worse than Duncan, but obviously they weren't Cardinals.

73. Infinite Joost (Voxter) Posted: August 24, 2014 at 12:09 AM (#4777980)
A's take it 2-1 after a tense top of the 9th. I think I have to pull for the A's from here on out, because the M's aren't catching them, and I'd rather play Los Angeles in a 1-game playoff.
   74. Los Angeles El Hombre de Anaheim Posted: August 24, 2014 at 12:11 AM (#4777982)
That's very possible. A's win, tie for first place. From here on out, you have to think the A's are clearly the better team, especially with the Angels sans Richards. With Detroit and the Yankees right there, I'm very, very negative on the Angels' chances right now.

Visions of 1995, of 1986, of 1982. All I can see is disaster in front of them.
   75. cardsfanboy Posted: August 24, 2014 at 12:13 AM (#4777984)
A's take it 2-1 after a tense top of the 9th. I think I have to pull for the A's from here on out, because the M's aren't catching them, and I'd rather play Los Angeles in a 1-game playoff.

Who is your team? (I know I should know this type of thing, but it's always hard to remember who is for who, unless you have an obvious name like mine)
   76. Infinite Joost (Voxter) Posted: August 24, 2014 at 12:17 AM (#4777985)
My ancestral team (ie, my dad's team) is the Red Sox, but the Mariners are the team I grew up with and have the most instinctual positive feelings towards.
   77. theboyqueen Posted: August 24, 2014 at 12:18 AM (#4777986)
I think Seattle with Felix has to have a huge advantage in ANY 1 game scenario, and the way the Tigers are playing, Seattle may get the opportunity to set things up to their advantage at the end of the season.

I'm not a fan of the wild card in general, but this wild card setup is about as interesting as a wild card setup can be.
   78. cardsfanboy Posted: August 24, 2014 at 12:19 AM (#4777987)
No, greenback thinks Adams is a mediocre defensive 1b. And I remember Chris Duncan in LF, who was the worst thing ever. Well, actually Adam Dunn was the worst thing ever, and by the end Jason Bay was worse than Duncan, but obviously they weren't Cardinals.

Nice response(typed this up and read it and realized it might have sounded sarcastic.... it's not, I appreciate honest comments and clarification of my mis-perception) . Duncan wasn't the worst, he was just a standard poor defender. Too many people base their standards on what is acceptable based upon what they "think" should be the standard and not the reality of what "is" the standard.

Holliday is solid, he'll never be good but he generally gets the balls in his area, he runs decent routes(in my opinion, surprisingly good routes to be honest) and knows his limits(something Jay, who I like a lot, doesn't) for a left fielder he's perfectly average. He makes some spectacularly bad(Lonnie Smith level) plays once a month or so, but the rest of the time, he's fine.
   79. ursus arctos Posted: August 24, 2014 at 12:20 AM (#4777989)
He's a Mariners fan, thus the reference to the M's.

Doolittle completely broke Josh Hamilton's spirit in the 9th.
   80. Infinite Joost (Voxter) Posted: August 24, 2014 at 12:20 AM (#4777990)
I think Seattle with Felix has to have a huge advantage in ANY 1 game scenario

And if the King is tired, Iwakuma is very nearly as good.
   81. cardsfanboy Posted: August 24, 2014 at 12:23 AM (#4777992)
My ancestral team (ie, my dad's team) is the Red Sox, but the Mariners are the team I grew up with and have the most instinctual positive feelings towards.

Gotcha.... it's my fault for not realizing what was going on. I thought the M's were playing the A's. But realizing they were playing the Angels, changes a lot of thoughts in my head in regards to your comment.

I think Seattle with Felix has to have a huge advantage in ANY 1 game scenario, and the way the Tigers are playing, Seattle may get the opportunity to set things up to their advantage at the end of the season.

With how close the wildcard race is this year, is it likely that the Mariners will be able to save Felix for the wildcard game?
   82. ursus arctos Posted: August 24, 2014 at 12:27 AM (#4777994)
Largely depends on the Tigers and Royals. If recent trends for those clubs persist, then there is a real chance that the Mariners will be able to set the rotation.
   83. Infinite Joost (Voxter) Posted: August 24, 2014 at 12:29 AM (#4777995)
With how close the wildcard race is this year, is it likely that the Mariners will be able to save Felix for the wildcard game?

I suspect it'll take luck. But the Mariners have Iwakuma, too, who is pretty damned good.
   84. Los Angeles El Hombre de Anaheim Posted: August 24, 2014 at 12:30 AM (#4777996)
I think Seattle with Felix has to have a huge advantage in ANY 1 game scenario
On the flip side, the Angels are now at a huge disadvantage. The one guy they had who could match up with the other WC teams' aces is gone. The more I dwell on this, the more likely I think the Angels are going to be on the outside looking in at the end of September.
   85. theboyqueen Posted: August 24, 2014 at 12:57 AM (#4778005)
On the [other] flip side, the advantage the Tigers have down the stretch is much of the remaining season is the A's, Angels, and Mariners playing each other. Actually the Yankees, being in such a garbage division, may have the biggest advantage in this respect. But wow, looking at that team, how are they even close to the playoffs?
   86. cardsfanboy Posted: August 24, 2014 at 01:10 AM (#4778009)
how are they even close to the playoffs?

That is the thing about the Yankees... they may have a completely crappy team but are in the hunt, they have unlimited resources, and along with the Cardinals are the "most" luckiest franchises in baseball. I understand that is a stupid argument, but the fact is, they still manage to succeed even if the odds say they shouldn't. You cannot count them out like other teams you would expect to fade because of actual talent, because somehow the rules of logic just don't apply here.

I absolutely think the AL wildcard race is going to be the most interesting one in baseball. I fully expect 1. the Tigers to win the central 2. the Royals to lose the wild card in a nailbiter, and 3. the Yankees to be the last team in the playoffs. Argue whatever you want about who is where they are right now.. Don't care, logic doesn't apply here right now. It's going to be a fun ride for a non-fan of the league.
   87. Randomly Fluctuating Defensive Metric Posted: August 24, 2014 at 05:41 AM (#4778018)
85. Dellin Betances.
   88. theboyqueen Posted: August 24, 2014 at 12:24 PM (#4778086)
Yes -- their best player is a middle reliever. Possibly the new Joba Chamberlain. I don't think that's the reason?
   89. Mike Emeigh Posted: August 24, 2014 at 04:46 PM (#4778206)
I think that the Rays' protest will be rejected.

The replay rule says this:

Crew Chiefs are responsible for determining whether a Manager Challenge is properly and timely made

and also says this:

The Crew Chief shall have the final authority to determine whether a Manager's Challenge is timely. The judgment of the Crew Chief regarding the timeliness of a Manager's Challenge shall be final and binding on both Clubs, and shall not be reviewable by Replay Review or otherwise.

so if Davidson is stating that in his judgment the challenge was timely because Escobar wasn't yet in the box when Gibbons indicated he was going to challenge then I think the Commissioner's Office has to reject the protest.

-- MWE

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
The Id of SugarBear Blanks
for his generous support.