Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Saturday, April 26, 2014

OMNICHATTER for 4/26/2014

Saturday Omnichatter. Have fun.

Gamingboy Posted: April 26, 2014 at 12:02 AM | 130 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: omnichatter

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 > 
   1. SoCalDemon Posted: April 26, 2014 at 12:06 PM (#4694714)
Every team in the AL East has allowed more runs than they have scored.
   2. Joyful Calculus Instructor Posted: April 26, 2014 at 12:39 PM (#4694724)
WHICH DODGER RELIEVER IS GOING TO BLOW THE GAME TODAY?!
   3. Joyful Calculus Instructor Posted: April 26, 2014 at 12:54 PM (#4694729)
National League splits:
Starters: 117-122 3.52 ERA
Relievers: 60-53 3.49 ERA

Dodger splits:
Starters: 11-3 2.60 ERA
Relievers: 2-8 3.75 ERA
   4. Chris Fluit Posted: April 26, 2014 at 01:10 PM (#4694735)
Mike Trout gets going early- solo home run in the top of the first.
   5. Chris Fluit Posted: April 26, 2014 at 01:53 PM (#4694750)
It's a ghost town in here. Jays score 3 in the first in Toronto, Nats score 3 in the first in Washington, and Yanks score 3 in the second in NY and nary a peep on any of those games.
   6. Chris Fluit Posted: April 26, 2014 at 02:01 PM (#4694753)
Another hit for Pujols. Somebody turned The Machine back on.
   7. cardsfanboy Posted: April 26, 2014 at 02:02 PM (#4694754)
Pujols got his average to over .300 for the season.... maybe he'll win the triple crown this year and get the MVP with only a 7 war season.
   8. boteman is not here 'til October Posted: April 26, 2014 at 02:04 PM (#4694757)
It's not the offense that should be of interest to Nats fans. A string of goose eggs along the Visitors' line.
   9. Repoz Posted: April 26, 2014 at 02:08 PM (#4694761)
Verducci getting all excited by small samples is killing me. STFU.
   10. Rafael Bellylard: Built like a Panda. Posted: April 26, 2014 at 02:11 PM (#4694762)
Brandon Morrow leaves in the 3rd with a 3-1 lead having given up no hits. Eight walks will do that...
   11. Random Transaction Generator Posted: April 26, 2014 at 02:12 PM (#4694764)
Brandon Morrow pulled during a no-hitter!
Well, he's pulled in the 3rd inning after walking eight Red Sox in 2.2IP.

Edit: Coke to Bellylard

Re-edit: And the reliever gives up a grand slam to A.J.Pierzynski.
####, the Jays are no fun to watch.
   12. TerpNats Posted: April 26, 2014 at 02:12 PM (#4694765)
Roark putting on a clinic so far.
   13. Biff, highly-regarded young guy Posted: April 26, 2014 at 02:14 PM (#4694767)
Pierzysnki with a grand slam. Red Sox have 5 runs on 1 hit.

Make that 6 runs on 2 hits, as Middlebrooks makes it back-to-back HRs.
   14. cardsfanboy Posted: April 26, 2014 at 02:21 PM (#4694770)
I really, really, really hate in game interviews.. There is a game going on, and yet they are talking to Mike Trout parents. This is what is wrong with baseball tv. The producers of the game think the sport is boring so they look for reasons to get away from the actual game.

If you don't like baseball, don't be involved in it's production.

Trout had a 6+ pitch at bat, and not once did they talk about his at bat. They still haven't mentioned the fact that he walked during that interview.
   15. Dan Posted: April 26, 2014 at 02:23 PM (#4694772)
I really, really, really hate in game interviews.. There is a game going on, and yet they are talking to Mike Trout parents. This is what is wrong with baseball tv. The producers of the game think the sport is boring so they look for reasons to get away from the actual game.

I'd love to see a baseball game produced in the manner of an NFL game, with wide angle shots as a hitter comes to the plate showing the defensive positioning and the analyst actually breaking down plays, like how an outfielder got a good/bad break on a fly ball and what difference it made, etc.

God forbid they actually show what makes the game interesting instead of shots of the manager picking his nose and the pitcher adjusting his cup.

NESN's Red Sox broadcasts are the worst offenders of not showing the game. They have guests in the booth constantly, promoting this charity or that event or this so and so. And then they do the stupid interviews with the "Fan of the game" or whatever, and they show all kinds of stupid crap like a player's favorite movie and restaurant and ####. It's absurd. Plus Remy and Orsillo frequently stop talking about the game to just chatter about inane #### and then giggle about their inane #### as the game passes by with no commentary.
   16. Repoz Posted: April 26, 2014 at 02:24 PM (#4694773)
I really, really don't give a smelly #### about Mike Trout's "tight-knit family"...show the game.
   17. Chris Fluit Posted: April 26, 2014 at 02:26 PM (#4694774)
Wow, second balk of the game.
   18. cardsfanboy Posted: April 26, 2014 at 02:27 PM (#4694775)
I'd love to see a baseball game produced in the manner of an NFL game, with wide angle shots as a hitter comes to the plate showing the defensive positioning and the analyst actually breaking down plays, like how an outfielder got a good/bad break on a fly ball and what difference it made, etc.

God forbid they actually show what makes the game interesting instead of shots of the manager picking his nose and the pitcher adjusting his cup.

Absolutely agree, and it's something I've been ######## for for a long while. I have no idea who told these guys that the game is more interesting the less of the field/player that you see. Has to be the same people who have told action directors that fight sequences in movies look better if you show the action from really close to the actors..

19. cardsfanboy Posted: April 26, 2014 at 02:28 PM (#4694776)
Jeter showing amazing range.....it was nearly two steps to his right and he was able to fall on it, and contrary to the announcer, it wasn't that hard of a hit ball.
   20. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: April 26, 2014 at 02:32 PM (#4694778)
I don't know who John Ryan Murphy is, but I hate him already.
   21. Chris Fluit Posted: April 26, 2014 at 02:37 PM (#4694781)
One first name isn't enough? He has to have three of them?
   22. Dan Posted: April 26, 2014 at 02:37 PM (#4694782)
I don't know who John Ryan Murphy is, but I hate him already.

He's the Yankee version of Jeff Mathis.
   23. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: April 26, 2014 at 02:38 PM (#4694783)
Well, today he's the Yankee version of Mike Piazza.
   24. cardsfanboy Posted: April 26, 2014 at 02:38 PM (#4694784)
this announcer is an idiot.

"that is amazing, it's been since the first game of last year that the Angels have been over .500."

How the F, is that "amazing?"
   25. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: April 26, 2014 at 02:40 PM (#4694785)
Not a good game for either starter. Angels still haven't been over .500 since last Opening Day. With the bullpen taking over, it doesn't look like they'll break .500 today.

Kevin Jepsen. Oh, boy.
   26. Esoteric Posted: April 26, 2014 at 02:41 PM (#4694786)
Suddenly the Nationals look like a formidable baseball team again. Of course that could just be a function of playing against the Padres.
   27. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: April 26, 2014 at 02:41 PM (#4694787)
It's amazing to have a giant payroll with Trout, Pujols, Hamilton, and have Wilson and Weaver in the rotation, and be a sub-.500 team.
   28. boteman is not here 'til October Posted: April 26, 2014 at 02:41 PM (#4694788)
Tanner Roark's perfect game broken up by some minor league stiff named Rene Rivera. Go figure.

I was predicting that it was gonna be broken up by a botched Jim Joyce call that was later upheld on replay review.

And in a twist of irony, after losing an out the other night when Jayson Werth dropped a catch in RF because of the "new" interpretation of the transfer rule, today the Nats had a baserunner called out at 2B under the "new old" rule when Gyorko bobbled the ball while trying to turn a DP.
   29. TerpNats Posted: April 26, 2014 at 02:47 PM (#4694792)
Roark lost his perfecto with one out in the sixth, but got out of a jam. He's been very efficient today; I liked what I saw of him near the end of the 2013 season, but you're always skeptical whether that success can carry over. So far, so good.

On Rivera: Bob Carpenter mentioned his up-and-down, sporadic career last night when he came up to pinch-hit...was the Mariners' third catcher from 2004 to '06, bounced around in the minors for a few years (even playing for Camden in the Atlantic League), but finally returned to the bigs with the Twins in '11. Padres picked him up in November '12; he came up the following July and has been in the majors ever since.
   30. Good cripple hitter Posted: April 26, 2014 at 02:50 PM (#4694795)
NESN's Red Sox broadcasts are the worst offenders of not showing the game. They have guests in the booth constantly, promoting this charity or that event or this so and so. And then they do the stupid interviews with the "Fan of the game" or whatever, and they show all kinds of stupid crap like a player's favorite movie and restaurant and ####. It's absurd. Plus Remy and Orsillo frequently stop talking about the game to just chatter about inane #### and then giggle about their inane #### as the game passes by with no commentary.

I watched the Patriot's Day game with my 10 year-old nephew, and he was equal parts befuddled and angry at the Red Sox announcers. He couldn't understand why they spend a half-inning talking about how because it was a morning game, they could relax and (literally) put their feet up.
   31. PreservedFish Posted: April 26, 2014 at 02:57 PM (#4694800)
You could never do hard analysis after every baseball play. The game is too slow and repetitive. There will always be a place for fluff in the broadcast. Vin Scully is one of the fluffiest there is - a couple nights ago he couldn't get the play-by-play over with fast enough because he so badly wanted to tell the story of how Cole Hamels met his wife.
   32. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: April 26, 2014 at 03:04 PM (#4694803)
You could never do hard analysis after every baseball play. The game is too slow and repetitive. There will always be a place for fluff in the broadcast.
Besides, why would you want analysis all the time? It's a game, not homework.
   33. Dan Posted: April 26, 2014 at 03:04 PM (#4694804)
Telling an interesting anecdote about a player is a lot different from spending half an inning discussing last night's room service at the hotel like Remy and Orsillo do.

And no, not every play is worthy of an analytical breakdown, but there are several per game that are. And instead of that, we get a bunch of angles of replay with the announcers adding basically nothing.
   34. cardsfanboy Posted: April 26, 2014 at 03:07 PM (#4694805)
You could never do hard analysis after every baseball play. The game is too slow and repetitive. There will always be a place for fluff in the broadcast. Vin Scully is one of the fluffiest there is - a couple nights ago he couldn't get the play-by-play over with fast enough because he so badly wanted to tell the story of how Cole Hamels met his wife.

Nobody is saying do hard analysis after every play, but it's ridiculous to see a 6+ pitch at bat go, and not one mention of the game going on.
   35. Esoteric Posted: April 26, 2014 at 03:07 PM (#4694806)
Again, it's the Padres and all (and their single best offensive player isn't in the lineup), but Tanner Roark's performance has just been hugely impressive today.

It's not even his results -- he's only up to 90 pitches though 8 innings, with a mere two hits and one walk to 7K -- as much as his approach that impresses me. He hasn't been "dominating" the Padres lineup so much as intelligently exploiting their weaknesses. Smart pitching, especially from a guy who rarely if ever breaks 90mph on his fastball.
   36. boteman is not here 'til October Posted: April 26, 2014 at 03:08 PM (#4694807)
I'll give Vin Scully quite a few miles of rope. He is at once eloquent, efficient, and evocative. He has some kind of magic timing that allows him to weave the game situation into the yarns that he tells that they usually end just when they should.

Even when he makes a mistake (like calling Ryan Howard "Frank Howard") he does it with such aplomb that I can't fault him greatly for it.
   37. Joey B. "disrespects the A" Posted: April 26, 2014 at 03:13 PM (#4694810)
Roark pitching an absolute gem today!
   38. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: April 26, 2014 at 03:14 PM (#4694812)

Blame NBC for starting this way moronic practice way back in 1969. They had Tony Kubek interviewing David Eisenhower and Julie Nixon so many times during the World Series that you'd think they'd just ended the Vietnam war.
   39. cardsfanboy Posted: April 26, 2014 at 03:15 PM (#4694814)
Telling an interesting anecdote about a player is a lot different from spending half an inning discussing last night's room service at the hotel like Remy and Orsillo do.

And no, not every play is worthy of an analytical breakdown, but there are several per game that are. And instead of that, we get a bunch of angles of replay with the announcers adding basically nothing.

Exactly. I want to see announcers and broadcasts that primary purpose is the game that is going on and the players in that game. I don't want to see McCarver in an Angels/Padres game talking about Derek Jeter (Al Hrabosky would mention the Cubs in every single broadcast no matter what....nothing more frustrating than something totally irrelevant to the game at hand) I don't care about charities, but if you are going to do it, spend 30 seconds on it, not a full half inning. The fact is that it's a tv medium, and most charities have a web site nowadays, so put the website on the screen for the full half inning, but don't waste my time with talking about it for 7 minutes.

When there is an analytical breakdown, make sure you have your announcers on board with any stat you are going to introduce, or at least have been given good information on what it conveys and doesn't.
   40. boteman is not here 'til October Posted: April 26, 2014 at 03:17 PM (#4694816)
When there is an analytical breakdown, make sure you have your announcers on board with any stat you are going to introduce, or at least have been given good information on what it conveys and doesn't.

This is not in Sports TV Production 101. Nor any of the other hypothetical courses that are not taught. You will not get your wish I'm afraid.
   41. cardsfanboy Posted: April 26, 2014 at 03:20 PM (#4694818)
Blame NBC for starting this way moronic practice way back in 1969. They had Tony Kubek interviewing David Eisenhower and Julie Nixon so many times during the World Series that you'd think they'd just ended the Vietnam war.

I blame radio for most of it. Baseball broadcasters have approached the TV medium as if it's radio and have even tried to emulate what the radio does. The problem is that the radio guys aren't showing you a live play, so they can fudge the results as they are happening to make the in between crap/conversations "miraculously" fit within the content on the field.

I still hate these close ups. I really wish someone would set a rule that says at no point during a broadcast should you show a view of the player that doesn't include the feet. Unless it's being used as an analytical tool. This Yankee/Angel game is using an angle I like a lot, when there is a runner on first, they have showed a nice angle that shows the pitcher, first baseman and runner on first.
   42. Joey B. "disrespects the A" Posted: April 26, 2014 at 03:26 PM (#4694821)
Bang, zooooom, it's a first career complete game shutout Curly W in the books!!!
   43. cardsfanboy Posted: April 26, 2014 at 03:30 PM (#4694823)
Yep....knew these announcers were idiots "Jeter has a legitimate argument to be considered the greatest shortstop of all time.".
   44. Dan Posted: April 26, 2014 at 03:40 PM (#4694828)
Beautiful bunt against the shift by Stewart. literally rolled right into the 3B bag.
   45. cardsfanboy Posted: April 26, 2014 at 03:41 PM (#4694830)
Great bunt against the shift by the Angels. 1 run game, man on first, 1 out 8th inning...why would anyone put the shift on?
   46. base ball chick Posted: April 26, 2014 at 03:42 PM (#4694832)
so how will the astros manage to lose today?

they need to suck a little more, they wanna keep their edge seeing as how the dbax are fighting hard and the cubs are bringing up the rear, in spite of having 2 good pitchers, with one who hits better than any position player

can bo porter manage to lose his shtt like lou pinella out there and at least get a few laughs?

josh fields is teh sukc. so is anthony bass. and george springer does not look like no gold glover. or even hunter pence
   47. boteman is not here 'til October Posted: April 26, 2014 at 03:45 PM (#4694835)
I checked when the announcers said that Tanner Roark threw a complete game in the minors.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=roark-001tan&type=pgl&year=2012

His minor league stats show 1 CG in 2012 with Syracuse, but being ignorant of such things...do they only play 7 innings in AAA ball?? The largest innings count is 7 and appears in 3 games in late July; is that a complete game??

Oh, and Roark had a base knock his first time up, so stick that in your D.H. pipe and burn it.
   48. I Am Not a Number Posted: April 26, 2014 at 03:45 PM (#4694836)
knew these announcers were idiots "Jeter has a legitimate argument to be considered the greatest shortstop of all time."

Nah, you should marvel at their restraint. They probably consider Jeter the greatest human being of all time.
   49. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: April 26, 2014 at 03:46 PM (#4694838)
Man, David Freese stinks.
   50. Esoteric Posted: April 26, 2014 at 03:51 PM (#4694840)
Twins have the bases loaded with nobody out against the Tigers bullpen in the bottom of the fifth in a one-run game. Joe Mauer up at bat. This could be ugly either way.

Also, Anibal Sanchez was yanked from the game with an apparent hand/arm injury. Bad news...
   51. Esoteric Posted: April 26, 2014 at 03:53 PM (#4694841)
Wow, 3-0 to Joe Mauer now. Bases loaded nobody out!

EDIT: And Phil Coke walks Joe Mauer on four straight pitches to walk the tying run in! Bases STILL loaded and nobody out.

I love the weirdly non-horrible Twins right now and the way they take walk after walk after walk. Seven in this game already, and it's only the fifth inning.
   52. base ball chick Posted: April 26, 2014 at 03:56 PM (#4694843)
that's sad about david freese. he had what you could call a short sharp peak. unfortunately not for LA, who seems to pick up a lot of guys once they have finished being any good

except Uncle - who is lookin like saint looey Uncle all of a sudden
   53. Good cripple hitter Posted: April 26, 2014 at 03:56 PM (#4694844)
Seven walks in this game already, and it's only the fifth inning.

The Red Sox are unimpressed.
   54. Davo Dozier Posted: April 26, 2014 at 03:57 PM (#4694845)
51-- the Twins have BY FAR swung at the fewest pitches this year--38% last I checked. The Brewers have swung at over 50%--it's like they're playing two separate games!
   55. Esoteric Posted: April 26, 2014 at 03:58 PM (#4694846)
And the Twins FINALLY get their first hit of game...a two-run single by Plouffe, who struck it on a 3-1 count. Hilarious.
   56. Davo Dozier Posted: April 26, 2014 at 03:59 PM (#4694847)
Twins hitters are seeing the most pitches per plate appearance, too-- they also led the Majors in that last year.
   57. Good cripple hitter Posted: April 26, 2014 at 03:59 PM (#4694848)
I checked when the announcers said that Tanner Roark threw a complete game in the minors.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=roark-001tan&type=pgl&year=2012

His minor league stats show 1 CG in 2012 with Syracuse, but being ignorant of such things...do they only play 7 innings in AAA ball?? The largest innings count is 7 and appears in 3 games in late July; is that a complete game??

It was a doubleheader. Minor league doubleheaders are only 7 innings for each game.
   58. Esoteric Posted: April 26, 2014 at 04:00 PM (#4694850)
Fifth walk in the inning by the Tigers! Bases loaded again, nobody out! Oh man, this is turning into a Toronto-esque affair for the Twins AGAIN. (That was a week ago, where they got six runs to come from behind in an inning where the Jays pitchers walked them EIGHT times...and only gave up one hit.)
   59. Davo Dozier Posted: April 26, 2014 at 04:04 PM (#4694852)
The Twins hitting strategy is familiar to every nerd whose parents forced him to play Little League. Just keep the bat on your shoulder and pray they throw four balls before you strike out.
   60. cardsfanboy Posted: April 26, 2014 at 04:05 PM (#4694854)
4-3 Yankees leading, top of the ninth, and one out...due up for the Angels.. Trout followed by Pujols...
this is why baseball is awesome.
   61. Graham & the 15-win "ARod Vortex of suck" Posted: April 26, 2014 at 04:08 PM (#4694855)
Mike Trout: 2-3 with a HR, 2 BBs, & a SB

I don't know the last time I checked a box score every day to see one player's line. Maybe Pedro in the early 2000s?
   62. Dan Posted: April 26, 2014 at 04:11 PM (#4694856)
Pujols had 2 great chances to tie this game and didn't come through either time.
   63. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: April 26, 2014 at 04:14 PM (#4694857)
Nope. Back under .500 for the Angels.
   64. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: April 26, 2014 at 04:21 PM (#4694861)
Good ending, but I hope those two fat clowns in the front row boxes get relocated to the bleachers until they get the hint.
   65. Repoz Posted: April 26, 2014 at 04:22 PM (#4694862)
Dear Fox Sports 1 MLB broadcast. I am no longer 8-years old. Thank you.
   66. cardsfanboy Posted: April 26, 2014 at 04:24 PM (#4694863)
Cardinals have gone 9 games without a homerun (320 at bats?) I fully expect the Cardinals offense to show up this season, but man it has been somewhat depressing watching them muster 5 or so hits a game.
   67. Davo Dozier Posted: April 26, 2014 at 04:25 PM (#4694864)
19 players in baseball have drawn at least 14 walks this year.

5 of them are in the Twins lineup right now.
   68. Davo Dozier Posted: April 26, 2014 at 04:29 PM (#4694867)
   69. cardsfanboy Posted: April 26, 2014 at 04:53 PM (#4694880)
Liriano just left the game for some reason. Looks like maybe "flu-like" symptoms...not an injury.
   70. Davo Dozier Posted: April 26, 2014 at 05:08 PM (#4694886)
Josmil Pinto!

He is making it easy to forget Joe Mauer!
   71. Dan Posted: April 26, 2014 at 05:10 PM (#4694887)
Forgetting the guy who's still on the field and standing 90 feet away seems a bit harsh.
   72. cardsfanboy Posted: April 26, 2014 at 05:19 PM (#4694893)
McLaughlin is trying to predict the next commissioner of baseball, and he thinks it's going to be Joe Torre...not sure how I feel about that, I would probably prefer someone a lot younger, and not as intimately connected to a franchise or the game itself.
   73. cardsfanboy Posted: April 26, 2014 at 05:25 PM (#4694897)
Pirates take a 1-0 lead as McCutchen singled in a run with two men on base. Previous pitch should have been strike three, but that happens from time to time.

Pirates now lead 3-0 as Sanchez hits a double(advances to third on the throw)..... Boo...Hiss...
   74. The Yankee Clapper Posted: April 26, 2014 at 05:31 PM (#4694899)
. . . I would probably prefer someone a lot younger . . .

The Jeter for Commissioner talk is beginning to build.
   75. cardsfanboy Posted: April 26, 2014 at 05:46 PM (#4694904)
. . . I would probably prefer someone a lot younger . . .

The Jeter for Commissioner talk is beginning to build.

I wouldn't have a problem with Joey Votto as commissioner, but not sure I would want someone like Jeter.
   76. cardsfanboy Posted: April 26, 2014 at 06:44 PM (#4694932)
Horton is smarter than McLaughlin...not that surprising. Mclaughlin seems to think you can't use your challenges after the 7th inning.
   77. cardsfanboy Posted: April 26, 2014 at 07:01 PM (#4694942)
Uggh....6-1 now....top of the ninth.... this year feels like the curse of last year. The Cardinals just seem to be giving up a lot of two out runs.
   78. Esoteric Posted: April 26, 2014 at 07:09 PM (#4694947)
It always gladdens my heart to see the Cardinals humiliated at home in front of "the best fans in baseball." May their sufferings as a team be agonizing and unending.

Let's hope this is somehow the start of a 1988 Orioles-like losing streak for St. Louis.
   79. CFBF Is A Golden Spider Duck Posted: April 26, 2014 at 07:34 PM (#4694959)
There's no excuse to ever throw Evan Gattis a strike. Or a fastball.
   80. Banta Posted: April 26, 2014 at 07:36 PM (#4694960)
Bobby Abreu with a first inning, two run homer off of Kevin Slowey. It's like 2008 all over again.
   81. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: April 26, 2014 at 07:52 PM (#4694973)
12 more for 300. Hope he gets one more stolen base, too.
   82. CFBF Is A Golden Spider Duck Posted: April 26, 2014 at 08:01 PM (#4694977)
Ha. What did I just tell you, Leake?
   83. Yoenis Cespedes, Baseball Savant Posted: April 26, 2014 at 08:17 PM (#4694987)
Reddick just threw out Springer trying to advance to third on a fly out to deep right. It was a thing of beauty.
   84. Russlan is fond of Dillon Gee Posted: April 26, 2014 at 08:35 PM (#4694993)
Mejia is throwing a very nice curveball for strikes consistently. He's having a great April.
   85. Davo Dozier Posted: April 26, 2014 at 08:37 PM (#4694995)
The Royals have 8 hits tonight, but have yet to make solid contact a single time against Chen. Three infield singles and a bunch of bloops and bleeders. It's impressive.
   86. Russlan is fond of Dillon Gee Posted: April 26, 2014 at 08:51 PM (#4695005)
3 pitches for Mejia in the sixth: Double, Homer, and single.

Jinxed him.
   87. boteman is not here 'til October Posted: April 26, 2014 at 09:03 PM (#4695013)
3 pitches for Mejia in the sixth: Double, Homer, and single.

So with his fastball, curveball, and change up that makes him a 6-pitch pitcher???
   88. Lassus Posted: April 26, 2014 at 09:06 PM (#4695014)
I walked in and turned on the TV in time to see us lose the lead. Boo.
   89. Repoz Posted: April 26, 2014 at 09:15 PM (#4695017)
The latest Thom Brennaman moment: "No, I don't know the Moe Berg story." #TheAnnouncerWasAnIdiot
   90. Lassus Posted: April 26, 2014 at 09:18 PM (#4695019)
Woohoo!
   91. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: April 26, 2014 at 09:30 PM (#4695029)
1. Sorry about no matchup info today. I spent the morning retiling a backsplash, and the afternoon drinking beer after retiling a backsplash.

2. David Hale tonight: 8.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 4 K. He drops his ERA for the season to 2.31. At some point we have to start taking David Hale as seriously as we took Brandon Beachy, right?
   92. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: April 26, 2014 at 09:38 PM (#4695031)
Any thread that wraps with Lassus going "Woohoo!" is probably bad.
   93. Lassus Posted: April 26, 2014 at 09:39 PM (#4695033)
Heh.

We haven't won yet, and we need to keep pace.
   94. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: April 26, 2014 at 09:44 PM (#4695037)
I grow tired of this "Mets and Nats not losing" trend. It supports the terrorists.
   95. boteman is not here 'til October Posted: April 26, 2014 at 09:48 PM (#4695041)
1. Sorry about no matchup info today. I spent the morning retiling a backsplash, and the afternoon drinking beer after retiling a backsplash.

Beer: making BBTF a better place for more than 6 hours.

At some point we have to start taking David Hale as seriously as we took Brandon Beachy, right?

But not as seriously as Tanner Roark, apparently.
   96. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: April 26, 2014 at 09:54 PM (#4695043)
But not as seriously as Tanner Roark, apparently.

I had never heard of Tanner Roark until this morning.
   97. boteman is not here 'til October Posted: April 26, 2014 at 09:57 PM (#4695045)
Apparently somebody circulated a gag copy of The Book of Baby Names about 25 years ago. The Nats alone have a Tyler, Taylor, Tanner, all pitchers, plus there's Tanner Scheppers another pitcher. That's just off the top of my head. Somebody could have a field day perusing B-Ref for less common or more interesting names.

Fortunately there was only one Lastings.
   98. Lassus Posted: April 26, 2014 at 09:59 PM (#4695046)
I grow tired of this "Mets and Nats not losing" trend. It supports the terrorists.

Much my thought about the Joey's Whores and Sam's Goatfuckers not losing trend. It supports ugliness, which is worse.
   99. JJ1986 Posted: April 26, 2014 at 10:07 PM (#4695049)
Time for a challenge in New York.
   100. Jose Can Still Seabiscuit Posted: April 26, 2014 at 10:09 PM (#4695051)
So Danny Duffy is not real good at throwing to bases. Back to back errors. Bases loaded no outs in the tenth in Baltimore.
Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 > 

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Martin Hemner
for his generous support.