Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, March 29, 2019

Opening Day 2019: ‘Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth’

Before he lost his air of invincibility — before he became a convicted rapist and then, ultimately, a side show — Mike Tyson was a greatly feared boxer. Whether it was because of his fierce style, the historic weakness of the post-Larry Holmes heavyweight division or some combination of the two, no one had an answer for him for the first four years of his career. He was simply unstoppable.

Back when Tyson was unstoppable, his opponents were invariably asked what they’d do against him. What they would do that the guy who was knocked senseless by Tyson a couple of months before did not do. They all had different answers.

Some said they’d use a lot of lateral movement. Some said they’d keep him at bay with jabs. Some said they’d get on their bike and use the whole ring in an effort to tire him out. Some said they’d tie him up. It never worked. At least it never worked until an out-of-shape and ill-prepared Tyson got knocked the hell out by Columbus, Ohio’s own Buster Douglas on February 11, 1990, but that’s another story.

One time, when Tyson was still invincible, someone asked him about his opponents’ strategies and how he intended to counter them. In response, he gave what is probably his most famous quote: “Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.”

Somewhere, Malcolm “Flash” Gordon is shaking his head at this….

QLE Posted: March 29, 2019 at 08:52 AM | 17 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: boxing, opening day

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. A triple short of the cycle Posted: March 29, 2019 at 10:33 AM (#5826620)
I never get tired of watching the Douglas-Tyson fight. Tyson had his a$$ kicked from start to finish.
   2. Adam Starblind Posted: March 29, 2019 at 10:40 AM (#5826623)
Is it "punched in the mouth" or "punched in the face"? I've seen it quoted both ways, but I like mouth better.
   3. Howie Menckel Posted: March 29, 2019 at 10:47 AM (#5826627)
I always liked Tyson's comment after he bit Holyfield's ear:

"Was that wrong? Should I have not done that? I tell you, I gotta plead ignorance on this thing, because if anyone had said anything to me at all when I first started fighting that that sort of thing was frowned upon, you know - cause I've had a lot of fights, and I tell you, people do that all the time."
   4. . Posted: March 29, 2019 at 10:51 AM (#5826629)
Before he lost his air of invincibility — before he became a convicted rapist

Gratuitous and reductionist. Borderline racist.

and then, ultimately, a side show

He never became anything like a "side show." He's been the subject of and participant in a bunch of well-received documentaries and films, and even starred on Broadway. He's an intelligent observer of his life and life generally and has redeemed himself in almost perfect form.
   5. Jose is Absurdly Unemployed Posted: March 29, 2019 at 11:11 AM (#5826641)
I've heard it as "punched in the mouth." Either way I agree with Adam, mouth sounds better.
   6. Lassus Posted: March 29, 2019 at 11:20 AM (#5826648)
Am I the only one who has wearied of the supersaturated, blanket use of this metaphor? There are few sports that have less to do with boxing than baseball.
   7. Lassus Posted: March 29, 2019 at 11:21 AM (#5826653)
He's an intelligent observer of his life and life generally and has redeemed himself in almost perfect form.

I'm pretty sure there are a lot of intelligent rapists.
   8. Pat Rapper's Delight (as quoted on MLB Network) Posted: March 29, 2019 at 11:23 AM (#5826655)
When it comes to Tyson quotes, I've always been fond of, "There's no one that can match me. My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat his children. Praise be to Allah."
   9. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: March 29, 2019 at 12:21 PM (#5826676)
Gratuitous and reductionist. Borderline racist.

Pardon?

Is he not a convicted rapist? How is pointing that out racist?
   10. Blastin Posted: March 29, 2019 at 01:06 PM (#5826687)
I'm all for pointing out racism that is hidden or dogwhistled but.... dude went to actual prison for rape.

The thing is, he got punished more than most rapists do. So it is a fact he did that and has also seemingly tried to do better since. Pointing out both is not racist. He did that.

My uncle committed a violent crime. He's been in prison most of my life. He's out now. We try to help him function. He did what he did. He is our relative and also, he did that.
   11. Barry`s_Lazy_Boy Posted: March 29, 2019 at 01:24 PM (#5826694)
The quote has been misused to ridiculous lengths.
   12. Rally Posted: March 29, 2019 at 01:48 PM (#5826703)
The thing is, he got punished more than most rapists do.

Maybe, but far less than the crime deserves. He was sentenced to 6 years, but only served 3.
   13. BrianBrianson Posted: March 29, 2019 at 01:51 PM (#5826705)
snapper and Blastin, you've both been successfully trolled.
   14. Blastin Posted: March 29, 2019 at 03:40 PM (#5826772)
I didn't even see the comment that led to snapper's comment. I was just agreeing with snapper.

Maybe, but far less than the crime deserves. He was sentenced to 6 years, but only served 3.

Agreed on all this, for sure.
   15. akrasian Posted: March 29, 2019 at 03:53 PM (#5826777)
I didn't even see the comment that led to snapper's comment.

It's from the article blurb at the top of the page.
   16. BrianBrianson Posted: March 29, 2019 at 03:57 PM (#5826781)
Huh? I assume the bit snapper italicised was what he was responding to. What I'd read as [ Ignored Comment ]. If I misunderstood snapper, I'm more confused than ever.
   17. . Posted: March 29, 2019 at 04:27 PM (#5826792)
I'm pretty sure there are a lot of intelligent rapists.

I didn't point out Tyson's intelligence w/r/t the rapist mention; that was in response to the ridiculous "sideshow" allegation.

Pardon?

Is he not a convicted rapist? How is pointing that out racist?

It's the way in which it was "pointed out" and then the false reduction of Tyson to a "sideshow" that makes the allegation more than apropos. Happy to reiterate said allegation.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Harveys Wallbangers
for his generous support.