Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Wednesday, January 01, 2014

[OTP: January 2014] What your favorite drink says about your politics, in one chart

Rum appears to be the most biparitsan drink. Both Bacardi and Captain Morgan Spiced Rum fall right in the middle of the political spectrum.

Bitter Mouse Posted: January 01, 2014 at 06:54 PM | 2907 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: politics

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 1 of 30 pages  1 2 3 4 5 6 >  Last ›
   1. Shredder Posted: January 01, 2014 at 11:32 PM (#4627973)
I don't see no beer on that list. It's worthless. That said, I just took a trip for a couple days with my girlfriend that took us to Firestone Walker (including a stop at their barrelworks), Russian River, and Lagunitas, finishing with a day at a few wineries in Napa. I love Firestone Walker and think they're probably the best full service, widely available brewery in the country. But if I could live within walking distance of Russian River and drink their amazing sours on a regular basis, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Also, drinking a growler of Pliny the Elder while I type this.
   2. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: January 01, 2014 at 11:37 PM (#4627974)
I don't see no beer on that list. It's worthless.

Amen and Nuf Sed. And too much knowledge of wine is the sign of a misspent adulthood.
   3. GregD Posted: January 01, 2014 at 11:37 PM (#4627975)
Beer drinkers' politics

I suspect the southern bourbon/republican axis overwhelms all the other data on the liquor one
   4. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: January 01, 2014 at 11:43 PM (#4627976)
All you need to know about wine:

When you're eating steak or ribs, you drink a red wine.

When you're eating chicken or fish, you drink a white wine..

And when you're eating nothing, you drink Muscatel.
   5. Ray (RDP) Posted: January 01, 2014 at 11:43 PM (#4627977)
Best beer ever: cherry wheat.
   6. SteveF Posted: January 01, 2014 at 11:44 PM (#4627978)
So the question is, what's the greater sin against alcohol: drinking vodka or drinking mass produced low average wine (probably a white zinfandel to boot!)

It's probably a tie.
   7. Lassus Posted: January 01, 2014 at 11:51 PM (#4627980)
Non-drinker's system for choosing wine for your soirees or wine-drinking GF, which works for me a good 90% of the time: 1.) age of vineyard 2.) aesthetics of label. If you have a crappy sense of aesthetics, I can't help you.

Also, one should never, ever make a gimlet with fresh lime juice, only Rose's.
   8. Publius Publicola Posted: January 02, 2014 at 12:01 AM (#4627981)
I dont think drinking vodka is a sin. But drinking those mango, marshmallow.or cranberry ones surely are

White Zinfandel isn't wine. It's fruit juice spiked with alcohol.
   9. chris p Posted: January 02, 2014 at 12:10 AM (#4627983)
But if I could live within walking distance of Russian River and drink their amazing sours on a regular basis, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

you're right. that is really ####### tempting, isn't it? aside from RR, my favorite recently has been Drake's. love the 1500. FW is pretty awesome, though. back in boston, my favorite was jack's abby. had a pint (or two) of their hopstitution last week, which was phenomenal.

Best beer ever: cherry wheat.

you poor soul.
   10. GregD Posted: January 02, 2014 at 12:37 AM (#4627990)
So the question is, what's the greater sin against alcohol: drinking vodka or drinking mass produced low average wine (probably a white zinfandel to boot!)
Drinking Red Stag or Fireball
   11. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: January 02, 2014 at 12:43 AM (#4627992)
I even have my wife loving sour beers, and she may otherwise drink 4 beers a year.
   12. billyshears Posted: January 02, 2014 at 12:52 AM (#4627997)
Drinking vodka is fine. Drinking Absolut is a sin.
   13. Shredder Posted: January 02, 2014 at 12:53 AM (#4627998)
I've got a closet full of Goose Island and Firestone Walker bourbon barrel aged beers, but I love sours. They're just so damned expensive. $72 for a six pack of Russian River Supplication this weekend. Still cheap compared to the $90-$200 bottles of wine we were tasting in Napa this weekend.
   14. tshipman Posted: January 02, 2014 at 01:00 AM (#4627999)
Linked chart does not have Hendrick's, thus invalid.

When you're eating steak or ribs, you drink a red wine.

When you're eating chicken or fish, you drink a white wine..

You can pair a really oaky Chardonnay with a steak if you're saucing with a cream based sauce like bearnaise.
   15. chris p Posted: January 02, 2014 at 01:19 AM (#4628006)
. They're just so damned expensive. $72 for a six pack of Russian River Supplication this weekend

the price tag makes sense ... they're so hard to get right with any sort of consistency. have you had any of cascadia's sour beers? they're probably my 2nd favorite american sour.

one of the things i left behind when i moved out west was a 1/3 share of a solera sour beer project. every six months we'd take out 15 gallons to bottle or keg and brew a fresh 15 gallons to mix in. we had a pretty good thing going. i have one last bottle of the batch we refermented with fresh raspberries ...
   16. Morty Causa Posted: January 02, 2014 at 01:25 AM (#4628007)
   17. Shredder Posted: January 02, 2014 at 01:26 AM (#4628008)
the price tag makes sense ... they're so hard to get right with any sort of consistency. have you had any of cascadia's sour beers? they're probably my 2nd favorite american sour.
I think it's not so much the consistency factor, but rather that it takes so long to bring a batch from start to finish. You really have to have a handle on the yeast as well. They're actually quite reasonably priced at the brewpub, and we were there on a Sunday when it's happy hour all day long. We have a lot of great breweries in Chicago, but even GI doesn't do sours nearly as well as Russian River. Upland in Indianapolis is supposed to be really good, and Kunhenn in Michigan, but both local only, and very expensive.
   18. Bunny Vincennes Posted: January 02, 2014 at 01:26 AM (#4628009)
Hmm. I'm died in the wool Beefeater's and bourbon, and I'm a solid lefty from Wisconsin.
   19. Bunny Vincennes Posted: January 02, 2014 at 01:33 AM (#4628011)
Hmm. I'm died in the wool Beefeater's and bourbon, and I'm a solid lefty from Wisconsin.
   20. Pasta-diving Jeter (jmac66) Posted: January 02, 2014 at 01:46 AM (#4628012)
I may not know art, but I know what gets me drunk
   21. The Yankee Clapper Posted: January 02, 2014 at 01:48 AM (#4628013)
Perhaps this is an appropriate moment to remind everyone that Prohibition was once the law of the land. Enshrined in the Constitution, even. Things change.
   22. Shredder Posted: January 02, 2014 at 01:53 AM (#4628015)
Perhaps this is an appropriate moment to remind everyone that Prohibition was once the law of the land. Enshrined in the Constitution, even. Things change.
So you agree the only way Obamacare will be repealed is via a Constitutional amendment and that further congressional votes for repeal and government shutdowns are worthless?
   23. The Yankee Clapper Posted: January 02, 2014 at 02:04 AM (#4628016)
So you agree the only way Obamacare will be repealed is via a Constitutional amendment and that further congressional votes for repeal and government shutdowns are worthless?

You're being silly. ObamaCare is not in the Constitution, just a law, which as everyone knows, is much easier to change than the Constitution.
   24. BrianBrianson Posted: January 02, 2014 at 05:48 AM (#4628025)
As far as Vodkas go, I usually just stick vanilla beans in the bottle and use it for cooking, but I cannot overrecommend Wódka ?o??dkowa Gorzka.
   25. PreservedFish Posted: January 02, 2014 at 06:18 AM (#4628027)
The NY Times had a blind vodka tasting about a decade ago in which one of the ubiquitous brands, like Smirnoff, beat all of the expensive competitors. It had been included in the tasting for laughs. The conclusion was something like: well, it is supposed to be flavorless after all.
   26. Bitter Mouse Posted: January 02, 2014 at 08:49 AM (#4628035)
The only thing I ever drink is hard cider - Angry Orchard is my current favorite. I used to be a bartender (back when I did not drink at all) and unless you are drinking it neat or on the rocks, brand mostly did not matter (other than general snobbery or a truly terrible brand).

EDIT: Talking about most of the standard Vodka, Gin, and so on.
   27. BrianBrianson Posted: January 02, 2014 at 09:04 AM (#4628037)
I don't think you can be a liquor snob if you take it any way but neat. ;)

But yeah, with a few exceptions (G&Ts;?), ordering a specific brand of liquor in a mixed drink is dumb.
   28. Bitter Mouse Posted: January 02, 2014 at 09:13 AM (#4628043)
ordering a specific brand of liquor in a mixed drink is dumb

And so very common. People would get upset at the brand of well Canadian available and then mix their expensive brand with diet coke.
   29. zonk Posted: January 02, 2014 at 09:19 AM (#4628045)
Linked chart does not have Hendrick's, thus invalid.

This.

The only real gins I see on the list are Beefeater, which is OK (and skews slightly Republican) and Tanqueray, which is not OK and skews slightly democratic. And no - I do not consider Seagrams gin a true gin (my rule of thumb is if you have to identify the alcohol type to difference between brand X vodka, brand x gin, etc -- you're not a real gin).

I do strongly dislike brown liquors, so I'm perfectly fine leaving the scotches and bourbons for the pubbies.
   30. BrianBrianson Posted: January 02, 2014 at 09:33 AM (#4628050)
Well, I never said people ain't dumb.
   31. Lassus Posted: January 02, 2014 at 09:34 AM (#4628051)
As a non-drinker I have recently been told that Broker's gin is excellent and upon using it for others' drinks they have agreed. Of course, none of them have the fine refined palettes of BTF - I'm curious if anyone here has had it or thinks otherwise?
   32. BrianBrianson Posted: January 02, 2014 at 09:49 AM (#4628054)
Broker's is fine, but I've never written home about it. The gins I like most are Scottish gins, though (Blackwoods & Bruichladdich foremost), so my taste in gin may be atypical.
   33. zonk Posted: January 02, 2014 at 09:51 AM (#4628055)
Brokers is an excellent gin -- I was gifted a bottle over Christmas, in fact. Prior to that, I had actually only had it in a craft drink at a 'gin bar'... and yes, I'm showing my hipster doofus side by admitting that I do enjoy the guilty pleasure of an occasional 'craft cocktail'. Please, no teasing -- I'm having enough of an identity crisis about it as is.
   34. zonk Posted: January 02, 2014 at 09:54 AM (#4628056)
My favorite mixed cocktail is a the almighty gimlet -- and I find Brokers makes a fine gimlet. Hendricks is just better on the rocks, with any adulteration, thanks to the slippery hint of cucumber.
   35. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: January 02, 2014 at 10:12 AM (#4628062)
But yeah, with a few exceptions (G&Ts;?), ordering a specific brand of liquor in a mixed drink is dumb.

I would submit that if the whiskey doesn't matter, you're drinking the wrong mixed drinks.
   36. BrianBrianson Posted: January 02, 2014 at 10:20 AM (#4628065)
If the whiskey is good enough to matter, why are you mixing it at all? Mixed drinks are generally designed to suppress and/or overpower the flavor of the liquor. There's a reason prohibition was the heyday of cocktails - the rampant use of low quality liquor.
   37. jacksone (AKA It's OK...) Posted: January 02, 2014 at 10:23 AM (#4628066)

I would submit that if the whiskey doesn't matter, you're drinking the wrong mixed drinks.

And probably putting way too much mixer in.
   38. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: January 02, 2014 at 10:31 AM (#4628068)
US Judge Asks:Why haven't the financial executives been prosecuted?

Recession, the question of why no high-level executives have been prosecuted becomes more urgent.
You won't find a better, more incisive discussion of the question than the one by U.S. District Judge Jed Rakoff of New York in the current issue of the New York Review of Books.

Rakoff, 70, is the right person to raise the issue. He's a former federal prosecutor in Manhattan, where he handled business and securities fraud. A Clinton appointee, he's been on the bench for more than 17 years...

Why? Rakoff posits that there are several reasons for the lack of prosecutions. One is that the FBI and SEC are both understaffed because of budget cuts, and in the FBI's case with the diversion of much of its workforce to anti-terrorism efforts after 9/11. And he speculates that the government may feel abashed at its own complicity in the crisis, arising from the easing of financial and mortgage regulations over the years.

Rakoff's piece has elicited some predictable push-back from the Department of Justice, where a spokesman scoffed that he "does not identify a single case where a financial executive should have been charged, but wasn't."

This is a cynical defense at best, since the DOJ knows well that for Rakoff to have prejudged a case by naming names would have been a flagrant breach of judicial ethics. Indeed, Rakoff takes pains to disavow any opinion about whether criminal fraud was committed "in any given instance." But he does point out that evidence of fraudulent behavior is not hard to find -- the final report of the Financial Crisis Inquiry Commission headed by former California Treasurer Phil Angelides brims with documented examples.

What's been lacking, Rakoff finds, is the political will and government resources to bring individuals before the bar of justice. Although millions of Americans are still suffering the financial consequences of the crisis, Rakoff suggests that the failure of the justice system may do even more lasting damage to the fabric of American society.
   39. GregD Posted: January 02, 2014 at 10:31 AM (#4628069)
To my imperfect palate, the gin matters in a gin and tonic. I would agree lots of mixed drinks overpower the alcohol.

yes, I'm showing my hipster doofus side by admitting that I do enjoy the guilty pleasure of an occasional 'craft cocktail'. Please, no teasing -- I'm having enough of an identity crisis about it as is.
I too hate the idea but occasionally love it in practice. The hilarious outfits on the bartenders, the absurd names, the way I get to both mock bitters and also enjoy them tremendously.
   40. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: January 02, 2014 at 10:37 AM (#4628076)
If the whiskey is good enough to matter, why are you mixing it at all? Mixed drinks are generally designed to suppress and/or overpower the flavor of the liquor. There's a reason prohibition was the heyday of cocktails - the rampant use of low quality liquor.

To produce a different taste. Sometimes you feel like straight whiskey, sometimes you want it on the rocks, sometimes you want a little sweetness/bitters added.

The classic Old Fashioned and Manhattan cocktails date back to the 1860s and 1870s.
   41. jdennis Posted: January 02, 2014 at 10:41 AM (#4628081)
I am a liberal person in a Republican area. I have literally never heard of ninety percent of the stuff on the chart and the only stuff I've even encountered are the right-wing, low turnout liquors - Jack, Jim, Captain. I generally don't do hard liquor. Also I am skewed because Omaha is the capital of talentless indie hack musicians so I have a violent hatred of PBR and Hamm's because those are what hipster lowlifes who think they are the only ones who know what art is drink. My crappy beer is Busch Light.
   42. BrianBrianson Posted: January 02, 2014 at 10:48 AM (#4628090)
Yes, and I specifically named a G&T as one where you're supposed to be able to taste the liquor. Perhaps tonic water was even more unpleasant in the past? If you're drinking G&Ts; to avoid malaria, maybe you're using the pleasant flavour of gin to conceal the unpleasant flavour of tonic?

This I'm not sure of. I don't really drink mixed drinks apart from eggnog (and that's a must. Everyone should drink eggnog - it's unbelievable.)
   43. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: January 02, 2014 at 10:49 AM (#4628092)
What's been lacking, Rakoff finds, is the political will and government resources to bring individuals before the bar of justice.

Frontline had a great piece about this. Here is their uncomfortable interview with Lanny Breuer, the former Asst AG that was in charge of criminal prosecutions. Breuer has since resigned.
   44. billyshears Posted: January 02, 2014 at 10:55 AM (#4628095)
The NY Times had a blind vodka tasting about a decade ago in which one of the ubiquitous brands, like Smirnoff, beat all of the expensive competitors. It had been included in the tasting for laughs. The conclusion was something like: well, it is supposed to be flavorless after all.

I remember this - it actually prompted my co-workers and I to recreate the test as best we could. Our general conclusions were (a) it's hard to consistently tell the difference among most decent vodkas (though if you drink vodka straight or on the rocks enough, I think you can distinguish levels of quality) and (b) Absolut is terrible.
   45. The Good Face Posted: January 02, 2014 at 10:58 AM (#4628096)
It's fascinating that high voter turnout correlates so strongly with terrible, terrible taste in booze. Yet another reason why democracy is a stupid idea.
   46. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: January 02, 2014 at 11:16 AM (#4628113)
Serious question: sign of coming out of it. A news report is now saying that he's having multiple organ failures and is in critical condition.

Serious question: Other than the fact that "they can do it", what has been the ####### point of keeping Sharon alive all these years? Never mind how many gazillions of dollars it's costing the Israeli government (or whoever's paying for it), I just want to know what's the ####### point? It doesn't have to be Sharon, it could be anyone from from Jesus Christ to Chairman Mao to Boxcar Willie. The question remains: After all hope of recovery has long passed, which obviously it has after over seven years, what's the ####### point? Would anyone here want to be kept in a coma for that long? Would anyone here want their loved ones to suffer that fate?
   47. BrianBrianson Posted: January 02, 2014 at 11:16 AM (#4628114)
   48. Bitter Mouse Posted: January 02, 2014 at 11:24 AM (#4628119)
Serious question: Other than the fact that "they can do it", what has been the ####### point of keeping Sharon alive all these years?

Dealing with boundaries is hard. End of life and beginning of life is where the hard questions are. As a society we are grappling with these issues and will be for the next few decades at a minimum. Abortion and Euthanasia are the two tentpoles, but there are more issues than just those, obviously.

I have opinions, but wow are they complex issues, and it is an area I definitely respect others opinions as valid, even when I completely disagree with them.
   49. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: January 02, 2014 at 11:30 AM (#4628131)
If you're drinking G&Ts; to avoid malaria, maybe you're using the pleasant flavour of gin to conceal the unpleasant flavour of tonic?

there are some good tonics out there.
   50. Nasty Nate Posted: January 02, 2014 at 11:36 AM (#4628135)
If you are making mixed drinks, the quality of the individual ingredients affects the taste of the final product. It seems obvious to me.
   51. Fernigal McGunnigle has become a merry hat Posted: January 02, 2014 at 11:37 AM (#4628136)
If you're drinking G&Ts; to avoid malaria, maybe you're using the pleasant flavour of gin to conceal the unpleasant flavour of tonic?

This is actually more or less the true story of the start of the G&T. It was a way to get British colonials in India and West Africa to take their nasty, bitter quinine. Of course, too much G&T interacting with the malaria parasites in your system and you'll bleed out of your kidneys and die of blackwater fever.

52. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: January 02, 2014 at 11:41 AM (#4628141)
After all hope of recovery has long passed, which obviously it has after over seven years, what's the ####### point?

People always have hope.

FWIW, my wife's uncle was in a coma for seven years, and emerged out of it. I think he was in better overall health than Sharon is however.
   53. Publius Publicola Posted: January 02, 2014 at 11:42 AM (#4628142)
Hitchens drank Johnny Walker Black, and he was a Trotskyite, and the amount he alone drank would have turned their circle blue, so yeah, I'm viewing this chart skeptically.
   54. Bitter Mouse Posted: January 02, 2014 at 12:02 PM (#4628161)
TORONTO (AP) - Toronto Mayor Rob Ford has put his name on the ballot to run for another term, defying repeated calls for him to step down after admitting he smoked crack "in a drunken stupor."

Best news of the new year!
   55. tshipman Posted: January 02, 2014 at 12:10 PM (#4628167)
If you are making mixed drinks, the quality of the individual ingredients affects the taste of the final product. It seems obvious to me.

This. Have a Tom Collins made with well gin, sour mix and Sprite, then have one made with a premium brand, fresh lime or lemon juice, simple syrup and soda. Tell me you can't taste the difference.

I am a liberal person in a Republican area. I have literally never heard of ninety percent of the stuff on the chart and the only stuff I've even encountered are the right-wing, low turnout liquors - Jack, Jim, Captain. I generally don't do hard liquor. Also I am skewed because Omaha is the capital of talentless indie hack musicians so I have a violent hatred of PBR and Hamm's because those are what hipster lowlifes who think they are the only ones who know what art is drink. My crappy beer is Busch Light.

It gets better?
   56. Bitter Mouse Posted: January 02, 2014 at 12:14 PM (#4628170)
This. Have a Tom Collins made with well gin, sour mix and Sprite, then have one made with a premium brand, fresh lime or lemon juice, simple syrup and soda. Tell me you can't taste the difference.

For most people though the "fresh lime or lemon juice, simple syrup and soda" matters more in terms of the taste than the premium brand. I made many mixed drinks and most people could not tell the difference between a Tom Collins made from gin A versus gin B, everything else held constant. Especially after the first couple.

There are people who care deeply and can tell, but there are many more who only pretend they can and are faux snobby "experts", but such is life.
   57. Bitter Mouse Posted: January 02, 2014 at 12:39 PM (#4628186)
By the way I was not suggesting anyone here was such a faux snob, just that I ran into many while bartending.
   58. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: January 02, 2014 at 12:45 PM (#4628192)
So the question is, what's the greater sin against alcohol: drinking vodka

Spoken like a man whose ancestors never had to live through a Russian winter.
   59. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: January 02, 2014 at 12:50 PM (#4628195)
TORONTO (AP) - Toronto Mayor Rob Ford has put his name on the ballot to run for another term, defying repeated calls for him to step down after admitting he smoked crack "in a drunken stupor."

His slogan is "Ford More Years". That is awesome.

Rob Ford Kicks Off Re-Election Bid In Classic Rob Ford Fashion

Unintentionally proving his point about words and action, Ford then went on to declare himself the "best mayor" Toronto has ever had before rattling off a list of his alleged accomplishments, some of which in the words of the Star "were exaggerations or simply untrue." The most obvious errors of fact were his dubious claims that he saved the city "a billion dollars" (an overstatement by at least hundreds of millions of dollars by the paper's count) and that he had the best attendance record of anyone on Toronto's city council (he is, unsurprisingly, below average in that respect).
   60. BDC Posted: January 02, 2014 at 12:54 PM (#4628200)
Mixed drinks are generally an abomination. Campari & Soda is an exception, but there's not much mixing involved there. Just dump soda into Campari till you reach your preferred shade of pink.

The two things on that WaPo chart that I would have in my liquor cabinet (but don't, because I haven't got much of a liquor cabinet) are Grey Goose (blue) and Maker's Mark (red). I consider myself quite bipartisan :)

One thing on my shelf at the moment is a Yamakazi single malt whiskey. A Suntory product: not much like any whiskey I've had from anywhere else. Lovely stuff, not smoky, not sour, not too sweet either.
   61. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: January 02, 2014 at 12:56 PM (#4628203)
Serious question: Other than the fact that "they can do it", what has been the ####### point of keeping Sharon alive all these years?

Dealing with boundaries is hard. End of life and beginning of life is where the hard questions are.

Yeah, but after seven years I would think it might not be quite as hard as all that, occasional miracles notwithstanding. A former employee of mine was in a coma for 3 months and made a nearly complete recovery, although his mobility is limited to a scooter and his speech has slowed considerably. OTOH a very good friend of mine in Florida had the plug pulled on December 10th, less than a week after he'd suffered a stroke. And in Sharon's case, it's hard to believe after all that time that there was ever any hope for recovery, which makes me wonder what the point was in keeping up the effort.
   62. Spahn Insane Posted: January 02, 2014 at 01:01 PM (#4628211)
But if I could live within walking distance of Russian River and drink their amazing sours on a regular basis, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Shredder, have you heard about Breakroom Brewery, which is opening any day now in Albany Park? They're supposedly going to specialize in sours. (Sours aren't really my thing, but I'm glad to have a brewpub opening in my neighborhood regardless.)
   63. BDC Posted: January 02, 2014 at 01:03 PM (#4628213)
the "best mayor" Toronto has ever had

If by "best" he means "most awesome," that's incontrovertible, but it's not really an argument for re-electing him.
   64. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: January 02, 2014 at 01:25 PM (#4628229)
Dealing with boundaries is hard. End of life and beginning of life is where the hard questions are.

Can't they ask Bill Frist to make the appropriate diagnosis after watching a video, as we do here in America?
   65. jacksone (AKA It's OK...) Posted: January 02, 2014 at 01:29 PM (#4628233)
One thing on my shelf at the moment is a Yamakazi single malt whiskey. A Suntory product: not much like any whiskey I've had from anywhere else. Lovely stuff, not smoky, not sour, not too sweet either.

Just went scotch shopping with a buddy more knowledgeable in such things and was extolling the Japanese single malts. Apparently there are only a handful of Japanese distillers that distribute widely so he is always on the lookout for a new brand. Typically always worth the $.
   66. Shredder Posted: January 02, 2014 at 01:36 PM (#4628240)
Shredder, have you heard about Breakroom Brewery, which is opening any day now in Albany Park?
I haven't. They may want to actually pay for their website hosting, though, since their website leads to a generic GoDaddy page.
   67. GregD Posted: January 02, 2014 at 01:37 PM (#4628241)
Yeah, but after seven years I would think it might not be quite as hard as all that, occasional miracles notwithstanding. A former employee of mine was in a coma for 3 months and made a nearly complete recovery, although his mobility is limited to a scooter and his speech has slowed considerably. OTOH a very good friend of mine in Florida had the plug pulled on December 10th, less than a week after he'd suffered a stroke. And in Sharon's case, it's hard to believe after all that time that there was ever any hope for recovery, which makes me wonder what the point was in keeping up the effort.
Peculiarly, perhaps, the longer that elapses the harder it is, at least according to people I know who work around patients in these types of situations. After a few weeks or months, it becomes the new normal. In the first weeks deciding to take off life support doesn't feel extreme for many people, but after six months or a year, it feels--to those same people--like affirmatively killing someone. It may not be rational but it's common apparently even among people open to making the decision.
   68. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: January 02, 2014 at 01:38 PM (#4628242)
It's fascinating that high voter turnout correlates so strongly with terrible, terrible taste.

FTFY.

RE: booze, drink what you like, as best you can budget it. Multiple studies show that professional "tasters" have little consistency for product over time, and that the primary driver for thinking a wine is a "good wine" is if you had previous reason to think you would like it (a glowing review from a trusted source, paying a bit extra for the bottle.) It's all in your head, zombie.

Unless you're Lassus, whereupon you must simply start every statement on this page with a clause reminding everyone that you're totally above that whole drinking thing that plebes and punters do. Because reasons and stuff.
   69. Gold Star - just Gold Star Posted: January 02, 2014 at 01:40 PM (#4628245)
Only three tequilas on there, and one is crap. Feh! Bah!
   70. Bitter Mouse Posted: January 02, 2014 at 01:41 PM (#4628246)
Yeah, but after seven years I would think it might not be quite as hard as all that, occasional miracles notwithstanding.

Have a living will. Respect the wishes of anyone having a living will.
   71. Gold Star - just Gold Star Posted: January 02, 2014 at 01:42 PM (#4628248)
Wait, why're we discussing cocktails when today's the day to expand our drugs of choice?
What's my drug of choice?
Well, what have you got?
I don't go broke
And I do it a lot
   72. Spahn Insane Posted: January 02, 2014 at 01:46 PM (#4628252)
I haven't. They may want to actually pay for their website hosting, though, since their website leads to a generic GoDaddy page.

Yeah, I noticed that too, and their first google search result links to a Facebook page (which I suppose is an improvement on the generic GoDaddy page, but not by much). Here's hoping they've got it more together on the production side.
   73. Bitter Mouse Posted: January 02, 2014 at 01:50 PM (#4628256)
One thing about the linked article - bringing thing to politics - is tribalism in politics seems to be on the upswing. My "tribe" doesn't believe in evolution? OK neither do I (even if I really do). I drink what my tribal friends drink, watch what they do, and so on. It is not enough to just vote the right way, but on some level you have to act and believe in the right things.

And this is not a slam on the right, it seems to be everywhere. I am not even 100% convinced it is bad or unusual, but it does seem to be present.
   74. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: January 02, 2014 at 01:51 PM (#4628259)
One thing about the linked article - bringing thing to politics - is tribalism in politics seems to be on the upswing. My "tribe" doesn't believe in evolution? OK neither do I (even if I really do). I drink what my tribal friends drink, watch what they do, and so on. It is not enough to just vote the right way, but on some level you have to act and believe in the right things.

I don't understand this, not because it's not true that politics is tribal, but because it's the case that politics has always been tribal.
   75. Davo's Favorite Tacos Are Moose Tacos Posted: January 02, 2014 at 01:53 PM (#4628261)
16. I'm always reminded of this when I hear these sorts of conversation about booze.

I'm always fond of Futurama's take on it:

"Ah, beer! So many choices, and it makes so little difference."
   76. Morty Causa Posted: January 02, 2014 at 02:01 PM (#4628269)
That's a good one. Got to remember that.
   77. Lassus Posted: January 02, 2014 at 02:02 PM (#4628272)
From the end of the previous thread, RDP:

God love Lassus's blissful naivety and his undying, unquestioning love for his preferred political leaders, innocently believing as Lassus does that de Blasio's sudden and newfound urge to ban horse carriages in central park was related to mitigating animal cruelty when instead there is money to be followed.

As someone once said, reading is fundamental. My point of contention originally was that the ruling was not due to nannying, being the accusation that liberals are always trying to protect people from themselves. Whether it is being pushed due to animal cruelty or real estate, it is not a nanny state proposition.

Do liberals really, truly believe in their hearts that Democrats are above it all? That things like the ACA are motivated purely out of a desire to help people, and it's just random happenstance that a boatload of money is always involved? That's precious.

Well, Ray, you're always talking about principles. Do you really, truly believe in your heart that right-leaning libertarians are above it all? That boatloads of money are just a happenstance for their true, actual motivations of their forthright, proper, ethical philosophy of helping society move forward as they see fit?. Is that what you believe?

(And, as an aside, people actually do care about things, yes.)
   78. Bitter Mouse Posted: January 02, 2014 at 02:04 PM (#4628275)
I don't understand this

You don't understand why it is happening, or something else?

Because if I had to guess as to the why I have two possibilities:

1) It is all part of the post civil rights sorting. As the parties become more sorted and ideologically coherent there is a feedback loop which encourages a stronger identification with one's party and influences behavior.
2) The changes in technology and the media/communication landscape means you can be with (hear from) people in your tribe. You can watch TV shows that your people watch and follow their blogs, where before you were immersed in a more "common" culture which has led to sorting and feedback loops.

The first suggests the previous levels of tribalism were the anomaly and we are returning to normal levels. The second suggests the previous levels were normal and we are reaching a new place in tribalism and politics. Personally I suspect it is a mixture, maybe 2/3 #1 and 1/3 #2, but that is a total guess on my part.
   79. The Good Face Posted: January 02, 2014 at 02:10 PM (#4628281)

I don't understand this, not because it's not true that politics is tribal, but because it's the case that politics has always been tribal.

Politics has always been tribal, but as the two main political parties complete their ideological sorting, the tribalism seems to have escalated because there are increasingly fewer commonalities.

Like the evolution example, which I think has increasingly become a tribal shibboleth rather than any sort of bellwether of one's acceptance of science, or much of anything else. Democrats and liberals "believe" in evolution because that's what they've been taught smart people (people like them) believe, even though they're constantly denying the inevitable ramifications of that belief (It's impossible that different breeding populations could be anything other than neurologically identical, because otherwise teh racists win!). GOPers don't "believe" because it pisses off Dems and liberals, which they very much enjoy, even though they mostly live their lives like people who do.
   80. Bitter Mouse Posted: January 02, 2014 at 02:14 PM (#4628289)
(It's impossible that different breeding populations could be anything other than neurologically identical, because otherwise teh racists win!)

As an aside this has almost zero to do with evolution and the belief therein.
   81. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: January 02, 2014 at 02:24 PM (#4628302)
My point of contention originally was that the ruling was not due to nannying, being the accusation that liberals are always trying to protect people from themselves. Whether it is being pushed due to animal cruelty or real estate, it is not a nanny state proposition.

I love how horse carriage licensing in Central Park - an issue which ABSOLUTELY NO ONE on this board had ever so much as considered - is suddenly a talking point in "socialism" because a newly elected Democratic mayor of New York is looking to eliminate them. It's just hilarious, really. OMG! HORSE CARRIAGE LICENSES!! STALIN!!!
   82. Shredder Posted: January 02, 2014 at 02:24 PM (#4628303)
GOPers don't "believe" because it pisses off Dems and liberals, which they very much enjoy, even though they mostly live their lives like people who do.
Really? Right wing school board members in Texas want to deliberately make their kids dumber and less competitive by teaching them something they don't really believe is true just because they think it will piss off liberals?
   83. GregD Posted: January 02, 2014 at 02:25 PM (#4628304)
Kevin Drum has a good point that some of this shift in Republican response is probably caused by the different populations that identified themselves as R in 2009 and in 2013. Lots of normally R-voting people started calling themselves Independents (while still voting Republican--Romney carried self-identified independents) as a number of self-identified Independents who almost always voted Democratic started calling themselves Democrats.

So you could imagine that the whole cause of the "upswing" in R identification is 1) margin of error 2) migration of evolution-believing Rs to R-voting self-identified Independents. Which would be a way of saying there may well be nothing at all to this.
   84. Publius Publicola Posted: January 02, 2014 at 02:26 PM (#4628310)
Ray will be disappointed to learn they didn't all drown or freeze to death:

Chinese Helicopter Rescues 52 From Ship Trapped in Antarctic Ice
   85. Publius Publicola Posted: January 02, 2014 at 02:29 PM (#4628317)
And before TYC begins counting his chickens about the 2014 midterm:

Boehner Is Said to Back Change on Immigration
   86. The Good Face Posted: January 02, 2014 at 02:30 PM (#4628321)
Really? Right wing school board members in Texas want to deliberately make their kids dumber and less competitive by teaching them something they don't really believe is true just because they think it will piss off liberals?

Eh. I said "mostly". There are always some true believer zealots out there. But regardless, it doesn't really matter. For the vast majority of people, their knowledge (or lack thereof) of the Theory of Evolution will have no material effect on their lives. I realize that being sneered at by coastal elites is a fate worse than death for liberals, but there are a lot of Americans who really aren't that concerned about it.
   87. Shredder Posted: January 02, 2014 at 02:32 PM (#4628326)
Lots of normally R-voting people started calling themselves Independents (while still voting Republican--Romney carried self-identified independents) as a number of self-identified Independents who almost always voted Democratic started calling themselves Democrats.
Which is kind of funny, because even though everyone basically knew this was going on, during the last election, the pundits (especially those on the right) still seemed to conflate "independents" with "moderates". They insisted that polls were undersampling Republicans, even though polls really showed that fewer people were identifying as Republicans. They also insisted that if independents broke for Romney, he'd win easily, even though a lot of those independents were tea partiers and former Republicans.
   88. jacksone (AKA It's OK...) Posted: January 02, 2014 at 02:34 PM (#4628329)
End of alcohol discussion, start of BLAARGGGLLLARRRGGG all over the page. Sorta like the end of many nights in college.
   89. Shredder Posted: January 02, 2014 at 02:35 PM (#4628331)
I realize that being sneered at by coastal elites is a fate worse than death for liberals, but there are a lot of Americans who really aren't that concerned about it.
Whereas no one really cares about being sneered at by disphit right wing nutjobs, which is why it's funny that Republicans keep choosing positions and policies based on their belief that they will piss off liberals.
   90. The Good Face Posted: January 02, 2014 at 02:39 PM (#4628336)
Whereas no one really cares about being sneered at by disphit right wing nutjobs, which is why it's funny that Republicans keep choosing positions and policies based on their belief that they will piss off liberals.

You seem pretty pissed off at their existence. Looks like their plans are working just fine...
   91. Publius Publicola Posted: January 02, 2014 at 02:42 PM (#4628338)
Eh. I said "mostly".

That's dubious too. There are nearly 5,000,000 students in the Texas public schools. Corrupting the textbooks adversely affects them all.

But regardless, it doesn't really matter.

It certainly does matter. Texas has several medical schools. You don't want doctors who were weened on "God's will" treating anybody.
   92. Lassus Posted: January 02, 2014 at 02:45 PM (#4628341)
For the vast majority of people, their knowledge (or lack thereof) of the Theory of Evolution will have no material effect on their lives.

This is a misread/misstatement. They have all kinds of knowledge of the theory of evolution. They are actively denying the theory.

93. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: January 02, 2014 at 02:46 PM (#4628342)
End of alcohol discussion, start of BLAARGGGLLLARRRGGG all over the page.

Remember that one time someone talked about something on the internet you didn't want to talk about?

That was like the Holocaust.
   94. Shredder Posted: January 02, 2014 at 02:48 PM (#4628345)
You seem pretty pissed off at their existence.
Not at all. You're mistaking pity for anger.
   95. The Good Face Posted: January 02, 2014 at 02:49 PM (#4628349)
It certainly does matter. Texas has several medical schools. You don't want doctors who were weened on "God's will" treating anybody.

That's my point. When the vast majority of these so-called evolution deniers get sick, they call for a doctor, not some faith healer. They may pray when they come down with cancer, but they're also going for chemotherapy treatments. Look at what they do, not what they tell pollsters. Stuff people tell pollsters is often to bolster group identity (tribalism) or to mess with people who are annoying them (trollololol), or some combination of the two.
   96. Shredder Posted: January 02, 2014 at 02:50 PM (#4628351)
Corrupting the textbooks adversely affects them all.
It's actually worse than that, since a lot of other states buy the same textbooks. The publishers generally don't publish versions for each state, so they tailor their textbooks to a few of the very large states.
   97. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: January 02, 2014 at 02:52 PM (#4628353)
You seem pretty pissed off at their existence.

Not at all. You're mistaking pity for anger.

And my bemusement.

And my axe!
   98. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: January 02, 2014 at 02:55 PM (#4628356)
It's actually worse than that, since a lot of other states buy the same textbooks. The publishers generally don't publish versions for each state, so they tailor their textbooks to a few of the very large states.

For what it's worth, California tends to offset Texas in the book publishing industry, and publishers themselves have started pushing back against going to market with tailored alt-history fan fic rather than real textbooks.
   99. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: January 02, 2014 at 02:57 PM (#4628357)
well I am likely the only confirmed functional alcoholic in this crowd so pardon me if I smile at some of the posts in this thread on booze.

there is nothing wrong with mixed drinks though they are not my cup of tea being a straight gin or bourbon man myself.

a good old fashioned should be in any bartender's rolodex. also a gin rickey and a gin sour. a gin and tonic goes without saying.

I can make many a drink having worked diligently to have others around me at least 1/8th drunk as myself

100. Bitter Mouse Posted: January 02, 2014 at 02:58 PM (#4628358)
California tends to offset Texas in the book publishing industry

Maybe recently, but not historically. The reason for that is Texas has a centralized textbook school board, while California had a decentralized system. So even though California is larger (and just plain better) it had much less influence over text book manufacturers.

Note: Past tense above, because it has been a few years since I read about it, so things may well have changed. And all that is based on my memory, so I could well be completely wrong.
Page 1 of 30 pages  1 2 3 4 5 6 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
The Id of SugarBear Blanks
for his generous support.