Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Saturday, September 09, 2017

OT - 2017 NFL thread

Free agent NFL cornerback Antonio Cromartie and his wife Terricka announced the birth of baby girl Jhett Paxton, born Aug. 30.

This is the couple’s sixth child, and it is Cromartie’s fourteenth. By our count, it is his third child since (supposedly) having a vasectomy during his tenure with the New York Jets in 2013.

Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: September 09, 2017 at 12:36 AM | 31 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: nfl, off-topic

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Howie Menckel Posted: September 09, 2017 at 09:19 PM (#5529130)
Pats trail the Jets by a half-game in the standings entering Sunday's play. Jets in control of their own destiny for division title.
   2. You're a clown, RMc! I'm tired of it! Posted: September 10, 2017 at 11:44 AM (#5529268)
This is the couple’s sixth child, and it is Cromartie’s fourteenth.

And they say romance is dead...!
   3. Ray (RDP) Posted: September 10, 2017 at 01:53 PM (#5529299)
The "Los Angeles Chargers"? I think I missed a memo.
   4. Howie Menckel Posted: September 10, 2017 at 04:23 PM (#5529360)
Old college pal of mine is a talented artist - and a Bengals fan, thanks to ex-QB Ken Anderson's 1970s exploits.

a few months back, he did one of those pencil line drawings - the kind that take weeks, if not months, to complete - of the tiger in the Bengals logo.

he sent it to the Bengals offices in Cincinnati. Owner Mike Brown liked it so much he replied to my pal and said they would hang the framed product in the stadium.

a couple of weeks ago, my guy finds out today is a 50th anniversary salute to - well, the Bengals existing. so he books a plane ticket (he's got fock-you money, obviously) to Cincinnati. then he contacts the front office again and asks about tickets.

since he might be the only person who ever grew up in the Northeast who ever wanted to go to a home Bengals game, they got him a prime ticket and Brown said he wanted to meet him.

oh, Bengals lost, 20-0, to Baltimore.

in other AFC North news:

Bob Pompeani‏Verified account @KDPomp 18m18 minutes ago

Ben Roethlisberger is now the winningest Quarterback in Cleveland Browns stadium history (since 1999)... More wins there than any Browns QB
   5. You're a clown, RMc! I'm tired of it! Posted: September 10, 2017 at 05:05 PM (#5529391)
The "Los Angeles Chargers"? I think I missed a memo.

They were the LA Chargers in their first season in 1960. (Apparently, they played somewhere else from 1961-2016.)
   6. zenbitz Posted: September 10, 2017 at 07:46 PM (#5529440)
I got some strange bar trivia question right some 15+ years ago knowing that the Chargers played in LA.
   7. zenbitz Posted: September 10, 2017 at 07:48 PM (#5529441)
Newsflash: despite tuning over about 70% if their roster and almost all of their coaches, 49ers still suck.

8. 2 dudes are better than STIGGLES; i'm both of em Posted: September 10, 2017 at 09:23 PM (#5529461)
thoughts on the eagles:

they're not good.
they might be better than i think.

that is all.
   9. Howie Menckel Posted: September 10, 2017 at 09:40 PM (#5529464)
Eagles O and D lines look good. Jeffrey is quite a weapon. Wentz is even harder to tackle than Big Ben - and more mobile than him.

if the Eagles had a decent coach, I'd put them right up there in the division. I also was surprised the Redskins hung in as long as they did. their D is improved (except on third downs and generally any short pass play), so they just need time for Cousins and Pryor to jell. possibly a very competitive NFC East in 2017.
   10. Red Menace Posted: September 11, 2017 at 02:44 AM (#5529497)
Howie, as a Bengal fan I'm shocked that story ended with your friend getting comped tickets. I thought for sure that was going to end with the Bengals sending him a bill for what he assumed were gratis tickets, or Mike Brown suing him for copyright infringement and exploiting his drawing of the logo.
   11. 2 dudes are better than STIGGLES; i'm both of em Posted: September 11, 2017 at 06:12 AM (#5529499)
if the Eagles had a decent coach, I'd put them right up there in the division

i know why people think this (it's not just you), but i don't agree with the casual trashing of doug pederson. he's not a great coach, but he wasn't hired to be a great coach. he was hired because the organization felt unmoored after chip kelly and they wanted a familiar face to restore a sense of normalcy. he's done that. given the uncertainty when he was hired, he's done better on the field than expected.

i'll tell you something i was shocked by. the eagles won the time of possession yesterday 35-25. before i saw that, i would have sworn it would be the other way around. and i just looked up last year on pfr; the eagles were #1 in the NFL in time of possession. i had, literally, no idea.

12. Crosseyed and Painless Posted: September 11, 2017 at 10:02 AM (#5529543)
It might be the Lions' year.
   13. SoSH U at work Posted: September 11, 2017 at 10:42 AM (#5529563)

Howie, as a Bengal fan I'm shocked that story ended with your friend getting comped tickets. I thought for sure that was going to end with the Bengals sending him a bill for what he assumed were gratis tickets, or Mike Brown suing him for copyright infringement and exploiting his drawing of the logo.

Agreed. I thought for sure Mike Brown's legendary skinflint ways were going to make an appearance in that anecdote.
   14. Astroenteritis Posted: September 11, 2017 at 04:37 PM (#5529864)
I do not possess the words to begin to describe the effort by the Texans on Sunday. I only regret that 15 more games remain to be played. Cruel.
   15. Howie Menckel Posted: September 11, 2017 at 08:28 PM (#5529933)
Red Menace, SoSH:

my pal called me and told me that he indeed met Brown in the owner's box, and the guy has the framed drawing IN THE OWNER'S BOX, with a backlight and everything. pal has a nice photo of him and Brown on either side of the drawing. seat was on the 50-yard line, too, in the Bengals players family section.

but the funny part is what happened before that. my pal arrived early, and noticed there was an autograph tent. he was wearing his Ken Anderson jersey, and he asked a woman working if the tent if he would be there. the woman said probably not, though he was listed, because he had his own event "down by the river."

a few minutes later, pal notices Anderson about 50 yards away, walking briskly (perhaps the only 68-year-old ex-NFL QB capable of this). pal is a dozen years younger and pretty fit, but he says he can barely gain any ground on the "elusive" (and oblivious) Anderson.

he's racewalking at this point, is reluctant to run in case Anderson would notice and evade him. Anderson is just steps away from the event, where he will disappear and perhaps end my pal's last chance to meet him.

he tells me, "I just decided that I'd never get a chance again, so I ran up and yelled, "MR. ANDERSON, YOU WERE MY FAVORITE PLAYER GROWING UP AND I FLEW IN FROM NEW JERSEY HOPING TO MEET YOU!" I was, uh, kind of loud."

but Anderson and his wife were friendly, he says. Pal has a 1970s Anderson Topps card ready, and offers a pen. Anderson whips out his own special FB card-friendly pen. Mrs. A says, "Would you like Ken to sign the back of your jersey, too?"

yes, please, he says. then he mentions that it's a "disgrace" that Andy Dalton has Anderson's unretired jersey number.

fast forward to pre-game, and as pal sits down, guy behind him says, "Nice Anderson jersey. you know, that's Ken's son sitting right over there." pal can't believe it, looks over - and the guy is the spitting image of Ken back in the day. so pal goes over and chats with him, too.

pal should write a book. he attended a rock n roll fantasy camp with Steven Tyler - at THE PLAYBOY MANSION. lots of bunny pictures when he returned. he jammed (he's a pretty good drummer) with Roger Daltrey at another camp.

his goal is to meet all of the famous people he admired growing up. he flew to Chicago to meet three Monty Python members. he has photos with Barbara Eden, Adrienne Barbeau, Lynda Carter, Johnny Bench, Tom Seaver - he just met Dick Butkus last week at a show. he went to the Hollywood Bowl just to see Paul McCartney sing "You've got rock n roll and the Hollywood Bowl."

his father was close with the 1950s Yankees, who were over his house all the time - especially Yogi Berra. Rocky Marciano also was tight with his Dad.

oh, and he grew up across the street from Dick Young, a legendary NYC sportswriter who was instrumental in getting pal's hero traded to Cincinnati.
   16. Nasty Nate Posted: September 11, 2017 at 08:55 PM (#5529941)
Great story, the best part is that the drawing that started it all is hanging in the owner's box in the stadium.
   17. SoSHially Unacceptable Posted: September 11, 2017 at 08:56 PM (#5529944)
That's cool Howie. And you can tell your pal I was a New York-raised kid who was also a huge Anderson/Bengal fan in the 70s.
   18. Howie Menckel Posted: September 11, 2017 at 09:12 PM (#5529954)
thanks. that was a LONG post, but I started to tell this story to Mrs Howie tonight and well, after 20 years she's heard plenty of stories from me.

I tried to cut this one short, and she went all Elaine Benes "SHUT THE FRONT DOOR - START OVER!" - fortunately without the Seinfeld knockdown.

SoSH is that other Bengals fan from the area - I knew there was one more!
:)
   19. Jay Z Posted: September 11, 2017 at 09:52 PM (#5529968)
oh, and he grew up across the street from Dick Young, a legendary NYC sportswriter who was instrumental in getting pal's hero traded to Cincinnati.

That karmically balances out the rest of the stuff.
   20. Howie Menckel Posted: September 11, 2017 at 10:17 PM (#5529975)
heh

yeah, it's all a crazyquilt pattern. I have met up with him at times at major events like Super Bowls - me working, him not so much.

it's like if Zelig and Forrest Gump went to college together, which makes no sense - but then none of this does. it's weird being a cartoon character, but the Earthlings always seem to like the describing of the stories.

catch me at next year's BBTF softball postgame if you want more of both of our stories.
:)
   21. . . . . . . . . . . Posted: September 11, 2017 at 10:54 PM (#5529981)
Beth Mowins is just as awful and robotic calling the NFL as she is for college.
   22. Ray (RDP) Posted: September 11, 2017 at 11:14 PM (#5529986)
Who is this play by play announcer for ESPN for the Broncos-Chargers game...................

She sounds like the Fabulous Sports Babe?
   23. 2 dudes are better than STIGGLES; i'm both of em Posted: September 12, 2017 at 12:02 AM (#5529992)
Beth Mowins is just as awful and robotic calling the NFL as she is for college.
she's knowledgeable and she has a good cadence. if you're hung up on the sound of her voice, that's on you.

*edit* oh, wow, this is actually a thing for some people:
https://twitter.com/morgan_murphy/status/907450110207856641

24. Ray (RDP) Posted: September 12, 2017 at 12:10 AM (#5529993)
if you're hung up on the sound of her voice, that's on you.

The sound of an announcer's voice is kind of a big deal. All we're hearing is their voice.

Not sure why it wouldn't be.
   25. The Ghost of Sox Fans Past Posted: September 12, 2017 at 12:58 AM (#5530003)
She does have an unusual sound to her voice, but she's very good. I've only heard her doing college sports before this.
   26. Dog on the sidewalk Posted: September 12, 2017 at 01:09 AM (#5530004)
She doesn't bother me, which is all I ask for.
   27. . . . . . . . . . . Posted: September 12, 2017 at 07:27 AM (#5530022)
she's knowledgeable and she has a good cadence. if you're hung up on the sound of her voice, that's on you

She's knowledgeable but her cadence is forced, robotic and awful. She speaks in a monotone and has to FORCE it by consciously INCREASING the VOLUME of her VOICE for big plays. Simultaneously, she's scared to increase the pitch of her voice because she doesn't want to squeak, so she speaks LOUDER without sounding excited and it creates the general effect of someone trying and failing to get their deaf grandpa IRWIN to LISTEN TO ME DAMMIT.

My ex was on-air in broadcast journalism for many years, so I know a touch of which I speak. I know why Rowins is speaking like that but it doesn't mean it works. She's a terrible choice to be the vanguard because there are hundreds of knowledgeable women with natural-sounding cadences (none of them are actually natural, the art of it is to be natural sounding) who are just as knowledgeable. But apparently ESPN doesn't think we're ready for a woman who doesn't spend half the game yelling at the listener in vocal fry.
   28. 2 dudes are better than STIGGLES; i'm both of em Posted: September 18, 2017 at 03:08 PM (#5533823)
“It has nothing to do with you being a woman,” they tell me, “I just can’t stand the sound of your voice.”

For someone who gets paid primarily to say sports words on the radio, listeners hating the sound of her voice is somewhat troubling.

The veteran N.F.L. reporter Andrea Kremer said she was hardly surprised by the backlash against Mowins’s play-by-play on the sport’s biggest stage. “I have no doubt that ‘hating the sound of her voice’ is code for ‘I hate that there was a woman announcing football,’” Kremer told me.

“One of the many positives about Beth doing the game, in addition to her being a top-notch, seasoned broadcaster, is that she has a great voice that cuts through all the ambient noise in the stadium. Whether you’re in the booth or on the field, you need a resonant voice that can be audible. The voice is like an instrument, and Beth is blessed with some great pipes.”

“The comments, mostly from men, have focused on her voice being annoying to the point of not wanting to listen to her. They’ll focus on the naturally higher pitch of women’s voices and ‘shrillness,’ all the while claiming their critiques of higher pitch have nothing to do with sexism.

The only time I’ve ever been complimented on my voice was when I had bronchitis and a bunch of men called in to tell me my voice was sexy.

saw this, thought of ..........
   29. stanmvp48 Posted: September 18, 2017 at 07:16 PM (#5533977)
Cleveland favored on the road this week
   30. Nasty Nate Posted: September 18, 2017 at 08:16 PM (#5534034)
That probably hasn't happened much in the last decade.

Lots of road favorites next weekend, actually.
   31. Ray (RDP) Posted: September 19, 2017 at 01:40 PM (#5534475)
Just to revisit this prediction of mine...

1230. Ray (RDP) Posted: January 06, 2013 at 11:13 PM (#4340455)

RGIII just died.

Yes, say hello to mediocre quarterback Robert Griffin, who will be out of the league in three years.

He was hurt, and therefore he shouldn't have been in there, both because they were risking a serious, career-threatening injury with him and because he sucks if he doesn't have his legs.

The capper: He was hurt reaching back for the ball on a fumble. If he couldn't do that, he had no business being in the game.

It turned out Griffin was out of the league in four years, but as predictions go it wasn't bad. He was mediocre and then he was unemployed.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Eugene Freedman
for his generous support.