Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, February 15, 2019

OT - 2018-19 NBA thread (All-Star Weekend to Twelfth of Never edition)

I estimate only 10-12 Primates care about the NBA, none of whom can be bothered to curate their own thread to avoid detracting from what this site is really about:  Kyler Murray and how the Galactic Empire did nothing wrong.

Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: February 15, 2019 at 12:14 PM | 1586 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: basketball, off-topic

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 8 of 16 pages ‹ First  < 6 7 8 9 10 >  Last ›
   701. Booey Posted: March 15, 2019 at 11:52 PM (#5823105)
Flip
   702. rr: drool-soaked and paralytic Posted: March 16, 2019 at 12:00 AM (#5823106)
Hombre's pod: I listened a couple of times; he did a very good job.
BBTF NBA pod: It won't happen, but it would be kind of cool.
San Antonio: This is one of Popovich's best coaching jobs. I remain unconvinced that DeRozan is a negative-value player. Budenholzer and Rivers deserve notable credit as coaches this year too, as do Joerger and McMillan.
Season length: Yes, I have said a few times that I think the season should be 64-68 games. There are obvious commercial reasons (NCAA Tournament, MLB Opening Day) why they would not want to be starting postseason next week, so in my I-control-all world, it would be a 68-game schedule over about the same timeframe with more off-days.
   703. Booey Posted: March 16, 2019 at 12:14 AM (#5823107)
NJ - I understand and agree that someone like Exum shouldn't be the hold up in a potential megadeal, but there also has to be a breaking point where the other team is just asking for too much. The rumors said Memphis wanted Favors, Rubio, Exum, a 1st round pick, and a 2nd round pick for Conley. That's a lot for a guy that some here were wondering whether he's even worth his contract.
   704. shout-out to 57i66135; that shit's working now Posted: March 16, 2019 at 02:37 AM (#5823112)
NJ - I understand and agree that someone like Exum shouldn't be the hold up in a potential megadeal, but there also has to be a breaking point where the other team is just asking for too much. The rumors said Memphis wanted Favors, Rubio, Exum, a 1st round pick, and a 2nd round pick for Conley. That's a lot for a guy that some here were wondering whether he's even worth his contract.
the problem with that package isn't that it's too much, it's that conley isn't good enough to bother with.

UTA's best players are jingles, gobbert and mithell, so if UTA can get anyone as good as them (or better), without sending one of those 3 the other way, they should take it and run. jingles is already 42 years old; mtihell isn't even that good; gobbert's body is on borrowed time. seize the day.
Season length: Yes, I have said a few times that I think the season should be 64-68 games. There are obvious commercial reasons (NCAA Tournament, MLB Opening Day) why they would not want to be starting postseason next week, so in my I-control-all world, it would be a 68-game schedule over about the same timeframe with more off-days.

nope.

the only right way to do it is a 66 game schedule that starts around thanksgiving and ends around may 1, with the playoffs expanded to 24 teams.

round 1:
seeds 9-24 play a 3 game series over 7 days. losers are eliminated; winners move on to round 2.
concurrently, seeds 1-8 play a single-elimination winner take all tournament; 1st place gets a bye to the NBA finals; 2nd place is eliminated from the playoffs entirely.

round 2:
the 8 winners from round 1 play another 3 game series against each other over another 7 days. losers: dead. winners: round 3.
the 4 losers from the first round of the single-elimination tournament also play a 3 game series against each other. losers: dead. winners: round 3.

round 3:
the 6 winners from round 2, plus the 2 losers from round 1s winners bracket semifinal, play another 3 game series. losers: dead. winners: round 4.

round 4:
the 4 remaining teams play a double elimination tournament, to be hosted by the 2nd place finisher from round 1's winners bracket tournament.

round 5:
hamburgers.

round 6:
the winner of round 4's double elimination tournament plays the winner of round 1's single elimination tournament in an 11-game series.
now to add some additional intrigue, both of those teams will get to choose one player from the 2nd place team from round 1's single elimination tournament, and that player has to start every road game, playing a minimum of 10 minutes per game...for the opposing team.

now, at this point, i know what you're thinking:
i'm drunk.
   705. JC in DC Posted: March 16, 2019 at 11:17 AM (#5823138)
Moses and Chi-guys: I assume you saw Boylen get tossed. Am I wrong in thinking his team really seems to like him? It looked that way as he walked off.
   706. Booey Posted: March 16, 2019 at 11:21 AM (#5823139)
UTA's best players are jingles, gobbert and mithell, so if UTA can get anyone as good as them (or better), without sending one of those 3 the other way, they should take it and run.

Favors is terribly underrated. He's been Utah's 2nd best player in each of the last 2 seasons. He's not a throw-in in any trade.

21.5 PER, .621 TS%, .580 FG% (.637 on 2-pt), 6.9 WS (so far), .209 WS/48, 4.3 BPM, 2.5 VORP. And of course the counting stats like WS and VORP have come in just 67 games, and in 23 minutes per.

gobbert's body is on borrowed time.

I'm not as convinced as others that Gobert really is an injury prone player. He had 2 seasons where someone fell into his knees and caused him to miss significant time. That seems rather flukey. His other 3 seasons as a starter he's missed a total of 1 game. That's not a Blake/CP3 type who misses 20 games each year like clockwork with one injury or another.

Hell, I'd be VERY happy if Exum had Gobert's injury history...
   707. shout-out to 57i66135; that shit's working now Posted: March 16, 2019 at 12:22 PM (#5823151)
I'm not as convinced as others that Gobert really is an injury prone player. He had 2 seasons where someone fell into his knees and caused him to miss significant time. That seems rather flukey. His other 3 seasons as a starter he's missed a total of 1 game. That's not a Blake/CP3 type who misses 20 games each year like clockwork with one injury or another.

it's not even a matter of being injury prone; he's just massively tall, rail thin, and he'll be 27 next year. how much can his body slow down before it causes some issues?
Favors is terribly underrated. He's been Utah's 2nd best player in each of the last 2 seasons. He's not a throw-in in any trade.

PF has the highest replacement level for any position in the NBA, and favors' net on/off rating has not been positive since 2015. he's a fine player, but he doesn't appear to have any impact at all.
   708. Booey Posted: March 16, 2019 at 12:58 PM (#5823154)
Favors is only a PF cuz the Jazz have Gobert. He'd be a good starting center for a lot of teams. The Jazz would be stupid to give him away without getting something valuable in return.
   709. Slivers of Maranville descends into chaos (SdeB) Posted: March 16, 2019 at 01:18 PM (#5823158)

now, at this point, i know what you're thinking:
i'm drunk.

To be honest, that's kind of the default.
   710. tshipman Posted: March 16, 2019 at 01:21 PM (#5823159)

Favors is only a PF cuz the Jazz have Gobert. He'd be a good starting center for a lot of teams. The Jazz would be stupid to give him away without getting something valuable in return.

Right, the problem with Favors is that he plays the same position as the Jazz's (Jazz'?) best player.

They don't play together that well, so Favors is an easy guy to spot as trade bait.

The problem you have is that everyone else knows that, too. So every other team in the NBA doesn't feel like they should have to beat down the door with an offer.

Now, as you say, the Jazz feel like they shouldn't feel pressure to make a deal either. This leads to an impasse, where the Jazz continue to have a pretty good player on a slightly expensive contract that is mostly wasted. If you want to make the playoffs and win a game or two, that's not a problem. If you want to seriously contend, it's an obvious inefficiency.
   711. Booey Posted: March 16, 2019 at 01:39 PM (#5823161)
Tship - Agreed, but dumping him for a player that's not any better - or possibly worse - isn't the answer either. I'm (reluctantly) fine giving him up if the Jazz do end up getting an opportunity to nab a guy that can make them a legit contender in return, but that's a lot easier said than done, especially cuz they don't have many other trade assets to pair with him. I'm not sure any of the names tossed around at the trade deadline would have really brought the team any closer to serious title contention.
   712. Tom Cervo, backup catcher Posted: March 16, 2019 at 02:54 PM (#5823173)
Having Favors and Rudy on the court 48 minutes is really nice for the Jazz' offense, but of course they probably could handle the offensive drop to say Udoh just fine if they had someone like Conley or another good offensive wing/stretch 4 (like Otto).

Before this latest injury, I worried about Exum's durability, but also his major injuries all were unconnected and seemed to be a bit of bad luck. This latest one sounds more like his body just won't hold up to the NBA. Hopefully I'm wrong like I was about Embiid. But if I could go back to the deadline I definitely would not balk at throwing in Exum for Conley anymore.

713. rr: drool-soaked and paralytic Posted: March 16, 2019 at 04:39 PM (#5823193)
Lakers: Ingram has thoracic outlet decompression surgery yesterday, which is IIRC the same surgery that Fultz had. Julius Randle put up a 45/11/6 last night, hitting only 2/7 on 3s and 3/11 FTs. He was 20/34 from the floor. Playing in Portland without Davis, NO lost anyway, 122-110. Randle is hitting .339 on 3s (4 tries a game). I wrote about a year ago that I think Randle would have been a star in the 1990s NBA, and he is pretty good now, certainly better than I thought he would be, although probably not as valuable as the 21.2 PER suggests.

Reasonable people can disagree on how good Randle and Russell are, how much better they might get, and how much money they should be paid. They will be both be looking for sizable deals. But Magic/Pelinka cut ties with both of them to facilitate signing two max FAs, one last year in James and one this July, and Randle and Russell are playing well enough, and are young enough, that Magic/Pelinka need to deliver something definitively better--immediately, given James' age--to show that those were the correct moves.

Utah: Exum, incidentally, was taken directly ahead of Marcus Smart and Julius Randle in that draft. Not many people that I recall criticized the pick at the time, and lot of Lakers fans really wanted Exum and were hoping he would drop to 7. Utah has a pretty nice team, but yes, they are in kind of a tricky spot in terms of trying to get better. Exum's failure to develop/stay on the floor is obviously one big reason for that. If he held up a Conley deal, that might have been a mistake by the Utah FO, but I am not sure.
   714. rr: drool-soaked and paralytic Posted: March 16, 2019 at 04:59 PM (#5823198)
*had
   715. PJ Martinez Posted: March 16, 2019 at 08:57 PM (#5823230)
Apparently Malcolm Brogdon has a minor plantar fascia tear in his right foot. Shams says he's out indefinitely, Woj says 6-8 weeks. Either way, sounds like he's going to miss at least one round of the playoffs, and possibly two or more. My sense is he's Milwaukee's fifth-most important player, after Giannis, Middleton, Bledsoe, and Lopez. Is that about right? That's a tough blow, in any case. They should be fine in the first round, but they might need him in the second.
   716. smileyy Posted: March 16, 2019 at 09:17 PM (#5823232)
I tore my plantar fascia once. I'd be surprised if he's back that soon but maybe NBA players are more magical than I am.
   717. PJ Martinez Posted: March 16, 2019 at 09:22 PM (#5823233)
Zach Lowe's take: "This is a sneaky big injury. Brogdon has had a fantastic season, does a little bit of everything for the Bucks. No one on the bench can really replicate what he does."
   718. spivey Posted: March 16, 2019 at 10:39 PM (#5823238)
Brogdon is the 4th most important player on the Bucks, above Lopez. This is bad news if they don't have him for the second round which will almost certainly be against a good team. Pat Connaughton has stepped up recently and Hill has been solid, and DiVincenzio has come back and getting dressed finally. Those guys are kinda versatile-ish but they need Brogdon.

This is a pretty big bummer. We'll see I guess.
   719. spivey Posted: March 16, 2019 at 10:46 PM (#5823240)
While we're talking, I don't think I agree with the conventional wisdom that the Lakers were going to be a playoff team if LeBron didn't get hurt. Maybe they would have, maybe not. They weren't *that* good before he got hurt, and other teams have been playing better between his injury and now.
   720. spivey Posted: March 16, 2019 at 11:12 PM (#5823241)
Also in what was is this sneaky? To whom? To someone who doesn't watch basketball? Is Tobias Harris getting injured sneaky? Klay Thompson?
   721. Tin Angel Posted: March 16, 2019 at 11:15 PM (#5823243)
Westbrook was 2-16 tonight, Klay absolutely shut him down.
   722. smileyy Posted: March 16, 2019 at 11:15 PM (#5823244)
I think he means it's going to have more impact than people think?
   723. Moses Taylor, aka Hambone Fakenameington Posted: March 17, 2019 at 12:50 PM (#5823273)
Moses and Chi-guys: I assume you saw Boylen get tossed. Am I wrong in thinking his team really seems to like him? It looked that way as he walked off.

LaVine offered to pay his fine for the ejection. So, yes, they do now. Which is amazing considering where he started.

Doc's trams have always been known for those borderline but not quite dirty screens, so I'm sure the players also appreciated him calling it out.
   724. rr: drool-soaked and paralytic Posted: March 17, 2019 at 02:24 PM (#5823287)
Bleacher Report ranks the FAs 1-25:
1. Durant
2. Leonard
3. Irving
4. Thompson
5. Walker
6. Butler
7. Horford (player option)
8. Vucevic
9. Harris
10. Middleton (player option)
11. Porzingis (restricted)
12. Russell (restricted)
13. Bogdanovich
14. M. Gasol (player option for more than 20M)
15. B.Lopez
16. Cousins
17. D. Green
18. Redick
19. Randle (player option for 9.1M)
20. Millsap (team option)
21. Mirotic
22. Dragic (player option)
23. Brogdon (restricted)
24. Rozier (restricted)
25. Valunciunas (player option)

One can quibble about the rankings, but it does underscore why the Magic/Pelinka FO, (and, if one assumes that James signed off on the personnel moves, James himself) pretty much absolutely need to get a guy from the 1-6 group (and, IMO 2-4 since I see no way Durant comes here and have some questions about Walker and Butler) to justify recent moves. The alternative would be a Davis trade, but the only way I see that door opening is if the Lakers luck into Zion Williamson.
   725. tshipman Posted: March 17, 2019 at 02:29 PM (#5823288)
That list strikes me as very, very bad.

How is Vucevic above 20? He's the guy you can easily predict to be a bad contract before it ever gets signed.

I think a better version just takes all the guys who will get a max (Hint, it's a lot), and puts them in their own tier.
   726. rr: drool-soaked and paralytic Posted: March 17, 2019 at 02:33 PM (#5823290)
I am not endorsing the list--just presenting it and contextualizing it as a Lakers fan. I agree with some of it, and disagree with some of it. The 2019 FA cycle will be the most interesting ever for fans IMO.
   727. JC in DC Posted: March 17, 2019 at 02:48 PM (#5823293)
So, I continue to follow the Knicks because, well, it's in my bloodstream. At the beginning of the year, I was excited by the youth and length and athleticism, and could see Frank and Mitch and Knox adding to KP to make a nice core of young guys to supplement with a high pick and some FOs. Now, KP is gone. Knox is at best very young, and at worst just a low energy unexciting guy. Robinson is very exciting. The only guy I turn on the games for at this point. And then there's Frank. I know I have a nearly irrational belief in his game. I've seen games where he flashed what I think he can become. But I have no idea what they're doing with him. He's been out since January with a mild fake injury of some kind. I suspect they've moved on from him. So, we've got Mitch and a 14% chance to get Zion, and an opportunity to overpay some FOs. I'm not thrilled.
   728. rr: drool-soaked and paralytic Posted: March 17, 2019 at 02:55 PM (#5823296)
Lot of stuff out there about the Lakers and Pelicans more or less losing on purpose to Knicks/Suns late today.
   729. JC in DC Posted: March 17, 2019 at 03:03 PM (#5823299)
They can try, but losing on purpose to the Knicks takes a heroic team effort. Like, a 1980 US hockey team effort, but in reverse.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't realize they did it! Good for them. Do I believe in miracles? Yes!
   730. rr: drool-soaked and paralytic Posted: March 17, 2019 at 03:14 PM (#5823300)
The Lakers were up 10 with about two minutes to go and lost. Pelicans blew it late too, although not as badly.
   731. shout-out to 57i66135; that shit's working now Posted: March 17, 2019 at 03:36 PM (#5823304)
So, I continue to follow the Knicks because, well, it's in my bloodstream. At the beginning of the year, I was excited by the youth and length and athleticism, and could see Frank and Mitch and Knox adding to KP to make a nice core of young guys to supplement with a high pick and some FOs. Now, KP is gone. Knox is at best very young, and at worst just a low energy unexciting guy. Robinson is very exciting. The only guy I turn on the games for at this point. And then there's Frank. I know I have a nearly irrational belief in his game. I've seen games where he flashed what I think he can become. But I have no idea what they're doing with him. He's been out since January with a mild fake injury of some kind. I suspect they've moved on from him. So, we've got Mitch and a 14% chance to get Zion, and an opportunity to overpay some FOs. I'm not thrilled.

trier, dotson, vonleh, kornet, allen and burke have been A/A+ FA acquisitions.
drafting mitchell robinson at 36 is another A+ acquisition.

that's a front office that knows what they're doing. that's a front office that has earned some trust.

playing around with the capulator, something like this seems doable, and pretty good:

guard: ja morant, dennis smith, frank ntillikina
wing: kevin durant, jimmy butler, kevin knox, damyean dotson, allonzo trier
big: mitchell robinson, noah vonleh, marcus morris, luke kornet
   732. Quaker Posted: March 17, 2019 at 04:43 PM (#5823318)
How is Vucevic above 20? He's the guy you can easily predict to be a bad contract before it ever gets signed.

Crazy that the guy with the highest RPM of all the pending free agents made the top 20 the list.
   733. Master of the Horse Posted: March 17, 2019 at 04:57 PM (#5823319)
Bucks not down with the playing defense thing so far
   734. tshipman Posted: March 17, 2019 at 05:13 PM (#5823322)
Crazy that the guy with the highest RPM of all the pending free agents made the top 20 the list.

This would be exhibit A for why RPM is not a great stat for determining free agent spend.

Vucevic is an offense-only center who plays on a bad team. He has exactly one year, this one, of being even an average 3p shooter. He plays just 31 MPG, well short of what a max player typically plays, and has very little in the way of secondary skills.

When he is on the court, opponents shoot an amazing 32% of their shots as either layups or dunks.

Vucevic is not just offense only, but also high usage and requires the ball in his hands to be effective. Anyone who signs him to a deal this offseason will promptly regret it by November.

735. JJ1986 Posted: March 17, 2019 at 07:22 PM (#5823342)
I haven't watched enough Magic this season to judge Vuc specifically, but they have been just horrific with Mo Bamba on the floor which has to skew the RPM numbers. Lineups with Bamba are -15 per 100, while they're barely positive with Khem Birch playing backup center.
   736. It's TFTIO's Monster, Actually Posted: March 17, 2019 at 09:44 PM (#5823358)
NEWS FLASH: Wiggins remains pointless. He's being outplayed by something called "Cam Reynolds".
   737. PJ Martinez Posted: March 18, 2019 at 09:06 AM (#5823391)
"Giannis Antetokounmpo and Joel Embiid are the first players to each have at least 40 points and 15 rebounds in the same game since Elgin Baylor and Walt Bellamy did so on Mar. 8, 1966."
   738. JC in DC Posted: March 18, 2019 at 09:30 AM (#5823395)
Everyone gets old. Even the King. Getting blocked by Mario Hezonja has to be the defining moment of LBJ's latter-stage career.
   739. spivey Posted: March 18, 2019 at 09:37 AM (#5823399)
Bucks/Philly game yesterday was really good. Butler made some big plays in the 4th and Embiid was outstanding.

Much of the game came down to Philly making their 3s and Milwaukee didn't, but Philly won the battle of the boards pretty handily too. Their bench is pretty weak, but that starting lineup is a handful.
   740. jmurph Posted: March 18, 2019 at 10:21 AM (#5823422)
NEWS FLASH: Wiggins remains pointless.

I first read this as pointless = scoring 0 points. Then I realized that it probably meant pointless = what's the point of him being on the team? Now I'm not sure, and both are easily believable.
   741. NJ in NY (Now with Big Girl!) Posted: March 18, 2019 at 10:36 AM (#5823426)
Everyone gets old. Even the King. Getting blocked by Mario Hezonja has to be the defining moment of LBJ's latter-stage career.

As a bit of a LeBron...that one really hurt.
   742. shout-out to 57i66135; that shit's working now Posted: March 18, 2019 at 10:37 AM (#5823427)
Much of the game came down to Philly making their 3s and Milwaukee didn't, but Philly won the battle of the boards pretty handily too. Their bench is pretty weak, but that starting lineup is a handful.
that's not really true anymore. boban's net rating with philly is +9 per 100 possessions, which means the sixers can still do damage when embiid is on the bench. boban can't replace embiid if embiid is out for a whole series, but as a backup, he's a huge, and a big, upgrade over amir johnson.

mike scott is a very crumulent stretch 4. he brings toughness, experience, some rebounding, he doesn't turn the ball over, and he shoots 40% from beyond the arc. that's more than enough.

for a wing, the sixers have james ennis and jonathan simmons, i guess. that is clearly not very good, but they can at least play some defense. the sixers should have kept corey brewer.

at guard, tj mcconnell. i have never been a very big fan, but maybe he can play well if he's never on the floor with jj redick. a mcconnell/butler/harris/scott/boban lineup should be able to steal some rest for embiid/simmons/redick during the playoffs by slowing the pace down getting to the FT line and just generally mucking the game up.

side note: ####### markelle fultz. broken as he may (or may not) actually be, if he had just showed up and played, he would be an upgrade over both tj mcconnell and jonathan simmons, since he would be able to match the ballhandling of mcconnell and the defensive versatility of simmons. sure, he can't shoot...but neither can they.

also, this:
Lakers: Ingram has thoracic outlet decompression surgery yesterday, which is IIRC the same surgery that Fultz had

you recall incorrectly. fultz never had corrective surgery.

to recap that ####### MF timeline again:
MF saw 10 specialists for his shoulder
9 of the specialists told him there was no apparent physical issue.
1 specialist told him it could be TOS, and recommended non-surgical rehab (convenient) that would get him ready to play basketball in 3-6 weeks (HA!)
   743. shout-out to 57i66135; that shit's working now Posted: March 18, 2019 at 10:38 AM (#5823429)
I first read this as pointless = scoring 0 points. Then I realized that it probably meant pointless = what's the point of him being on the team? Now I'm not sure, and both are easily believable.
obviously, you are unfamiliar with andrew wiggins' usage rate.
   744. shout-out to 57i66135; that shit's working now Posted: March 18, 2019 at 10:40 AM (#5823432)
also, quick question:

do the celtics care about whether they play PHI, IND or DET in the first round?
   745. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: March 18, 2019 at 10:51 AM (#5823438)
Re 728: That Pelicans loss looks to be about as blatant a tank as I’ve seen. Here’s video of the final few plays.

Pelicans up 3 with the ball, 10 seconds to play, out of timeouts. But they can’t inbound the ball. The player motions for a timeout anyway, but the refs have a conference and rule that 5 seconds had already elapsed, so it’s just a 5-second violation turnover—they wave off the timeout.

Suns get the ball back. Pelicans opt not to foul. And a Sun hits a game-tying 3-pointer with 1 second to play.

....And then the Pelicans call a timeout.

Of course that’s a technical foul. They’d just had an argument about it! And the Suns hit the technical free throw and win.
   746. jmurph Posted: March 18, 2019 at 10:56 AM (#5823442)
also, quick question:

do the celtics care about whether they play PHI, IND or DET in the first round?

I'd like to go on here about how the Celtics own the Sixers but even though that's legally true my heart's not really in it.

I don't know what the real Celtics want, but this fan wants the worst team, and that's the Pistons, despite the fact that Drummond has had some success against them in the past. I think they're probably actually going to get Indiana, maybe even on the road, because those bastards don't seem to have gotten the memo that they're not good anymore.
   747. jmurph Posted: March 18, 2019 at 11:24 AM (#5823450)
Jordan Howenstine @AirlessJordan
Spurs get their 41st win, guaranteeing they won’t have a losing record this season.

Fewest days with a losing record in the last 22 years:

SPURS- 65 days
Rockets- 1,007
Mavericks- 1,025
Trail Blazers- 1,044
Jazz- 1,101
   748. It's TFTIO's Monster, Actually Posted: March 18, 2019 at 01:23 PM (#5823527)

I mean, he'll get his points. Just in the most infuriating way possible. He is clearly the #2 worst contract in the league, right?
   749. jmurph Posted: March 18, 2019 at 02:22 PM (#5823543)
Apparently Hoiberg is the frontrunner for the soon to be vacant Nebraska job. That seems... unwise?
   750. Moses Taylor, aka Hambone Fakenameington Posted: March 18, 2019 at 02:51 PM (#5823551)
For him, you mean?
   751. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: March 18, 2019 at 03:01 PM (#5823552)
Just read Pelton's stat based draft ranking and ... #6 looks like an error in the model (though I get it).
   752. jmurph Posted: March 18, 2019 at 03:09 PM (#5823554)
For him, you mean?

Yeah. I don't follow the college game closely at all but I'm still reasonably sure that's not a big job.
   753. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: March 18, 2019 at 03:38 PM (#5823557)
Big 10, tho?
   754. Moses Taylor, aka Hambone Fakenameington Posted: March 18, 2019 at 04:07 PM (#5823563)
But Nebraska? I mean, weren't there rumors of him in Minnesota or even UCLA? Maybe he just regrets leaving Iowa St and that's the closest he could get.
   755. spivey Posted: March 18, 2019 at 04:13 PM (#5823566)
Getting paid is better than not getting paid. He's also probably got a decent idea of how accurate the other rumors were.
   756. jmurph Posted: March 18, 2019 at 04:36 PM (#5823570)
He's still getting paid by the extremely charitable Reinsdorf family through next year as far as I can tell.
   757. aberg Posted: March 18, 2019 at 05:24 PM (#5823576)
Apparently Hoiberg is the frontrunner for the soon to be vacant Nebraska job. That seems... unwise?

Their previous top target was supposedly Dana Altaman, who has been very successful at Oregon. While I dislike the school, it seems to me that Oregon would be a much better job than Nebraska basketball, but Phil Knight gave him a big raise, so there must have been something to it. Maybe they have just resolved to pay out the nose to finally be a competitive basketball program the way the whole SEC has done over the last decade.
   758. aberg Posted: March 18, 2019 at 05:24 PM (#5823577)
Just read Pelton's stat based draft ranking and ... #6 looks like an error in the model (though I get it).

Is it the Seattle Mariners?
   759. If on a winter's night a baserunner Posted: March 18, 2019 at 05:40 PM (#5823580)
Vucevic is an offense-only center who plays on a bad team. He has exactly one year, this one, of being even an average 3p shooter. He plays just 31 MPG, well short of what a max player typically plays, and has very little in the way of secondary skills.

This got me curious, since, as I understand it, his improved passing is a big part of Vooch's Big Year. Even just in his box score stats, there's some clear narratives of improvement over the years. His AST/36 numbers have essentially improved every year of his career:

His FT% (I know FT% is at least as good an indicator of future 3P% as past 3P% for prospects; I assume it's the same for developing NBA players too, though I'd be curious if anyone has data about that) started bad/mediocre but has been solid or better for a few years now:

Looking at total 3PA/3P%, his shooting looks more like development than a single flukey year:
8/.375
/.000
/lol
/.333
/.222
/.307
/.314
/.374 

---

I still would hesitate to blow a big chunk up a team's future cap space on him, because none of this data is that conclusive; and this is just the cherry-picked good stuff; and (more importantly) I think defensive performance is far more critical than offense for bigs; but much of the improvement looks real.
   760. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: March 18, 2019 at 06:08 PM (#5823583)
It's a 6-5 160 point guard averaging 6.9/3.5/3.6 in 33.1 min for Iowa State (Tyrese Haliburton). Three star recruit, freshman. Nice steals, nice blocks, hits his twos and threes, never turns it over. Will presumably stay in school as he's not on any draft radar.
   761. Howie Menckel Posted: March 18, 2019 at 08:21 PM (#5823610)
Clyde calls out LeBron, I think during last night's game - which is interesting (not posted here to be anti-LeBron; he won me over at least 5 years ago. also, Clyde is just holding him to a very high standard)

Don Van Natta Jr.
‏Verified account @DVNJr
9m9 minutes ago

Walt Frazier on LeBron at MSG: The NBA is like the Olympics — there’s a torch that’s passed... When you’re the King — LeBron is the king & he’s the best player in the game — you can’t be like a common player. If that was some other player, I wouldn’t have said anything... 1/

Frazier: But when you are the face of the league, man, you can’t do what other people do. You gotta do the right thing. There are millions of kids who saw that and they will say, Well, LeBron did it then it’s OK for me to do it. And I don’t think that’s the right thing to do.. 2/

Frazier: You can’t be the proletariat. You’re the King... people say he’s like our Muhammad Ali, he speaks for black people. He runs a school where he’s teaching kids to do the right thing... It was something I was surprised to see because he always does the right thing. 3/3
   762. aberg Posted: March 18, 2019 at 08:26 PM (#5823611)
What was Clyde referencing? It can't be that block. I must have missed something else from the game.
   763. CFBF Rides The Zombie Ice Dragon Posted: March 18, 2019 at 08:32 PM (#5823613)
Clyde Frazier dropped "proletariat?"
   764. Howie Menckel Posted: March 18, 2019 at 08:43 PM (#5823615)
my bad. apparently LeBron had no interest in being part of a huddle in a timeout during that Knicks-Lakers game, which rubbed Clyde the wrong way.
   765. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: March 18, 2019 at 09:10 PM (#5823619)
Dirk Nowitzki has now scored more career points than Wilt Chamberlain.
   766. Athletic Supporter is USDA certified lean Posted: March 18, 2019 at 10:32 PM (#5823622)
Spurs win 9th straight, including wins over Denver, Milwaukee, Golden State, and OKC (admittedly all at home as the evening out from the Rodeo road trip takes place). Man.
   767. Athletic Supporter is USDA certified lean Posted: March 18, 2019 at 10:43 PM (#5823624)
A Decade of Spurs, Four Factor Ranks:

Offense          //    Defense
Year EF TO OR FT // EF TO OR FT
2019 07 01 26 15 // 21 29 05 02
2018 26 05 06 18 // 08 12 08 03
2017 10 15 14 18 // 02 09 06 06
2016 02 09 23 21 // 01 08 03 02
2015 05 15 25 18 // 06 15 04 09
2014 02 12 24 27 // 04 23 04 03
2013 02 19 29 13 // 05 13 03 03
2012 01 03 24 19 // 15 24 01 02
2011 01 07 21 12 // 10 27 10 02
2010 07 11 14 20 // 04 28 04 10
Avg  06 10 21 18 // 08 18 05 04 

Obviously some incarnations are better than others, but by and large the Spurs consistently:

-- Get good shots
-- Keep their opponents off the offensive glass
-- Don't foul

Seems simple, right? That's, like, fundamental basketball 101.
   768. PJ Martinez Posted: March 18, 2019 at 11:17 PM (#5823629)
"Elfrid Payton’s triple-double streak lives!!!! He joins Russell Westbrook and Michael Jordan as the only players with five straight triple-doubles in the last 35 years."
   769. rr: drool-soaked and paralytic Posted: March 19, 2019 at 12:46 AM (#5823634)
San Antonio's PYTH is 39-32, and the Clippers' PYTH is 38-33. They are 20th and 23rd in DRTG, respectively, as per Bask Ref. But Popovich and Rivers have done great work this year.
   770. puck Posted: March 19, 2019 at 10:31 AM (#5823674)
"Elfrid Payton’s triple-double streak lives!!!! He joins Russell Westbrook and Michael Jordan as the only players with five straight triple-doubles in the last 35 years."

What the.

Wow, his +/- is -53 over the 5 games? That's impressive.
   771. Athletic Supporter is USDA certified lean Posted: March 19, 2019 at 12:02 PM (#5823726)
On talent I think this Spurs team should be winning 35 or so games. They have two overpaid not-really-All-Star players who have mediocre efficiency, a bunch of one dimensional or zero dimensional role players, and some no-pedigree young guys. From an individual personnel standpoint, I'd take the Horcats over the Spurs, and Charlotte is going to win about 37 games in the East.
   772. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: March 19, 2019 at 12:06 PM (#5823728)
Payton is a guy where I don't fully see why +/- is always down on him.
   773. rr: drool-soaked and paralytic Posted: March 19, 2019 at 01:11 PM (#5823769)
With THE WIZENARD SERIES, "created" by (Kobe) Bryant and written by(Wesley) King introduce readers to a diverse cast of young male characters, teammates on the West Bottom Badgers, a struggling inner-city basketball team. The worst team in the league, the Badgers could use a miracle. Instead, they get a mysterious new coach, Rolabi Wizenard, who mystically gifts each boy with the power to see the present and the future in order to build them into a cohesive, winning unit. Through Wizenard’s unorthodox and supernatural techniques, each player must compete in a series of daunting physical, emotional, and mental challenges, designed to illuminate their innermost selves. As the Badgers slowly start to improve as a team, the players come to realize that winning, losing, and teamwork are far more than just about athleticism and games.

THE WIZENARD SERIES is told from the perspective of five key players on the Badgers: Rain (the main character of the series and the character that Bryant most identifies with), Twig, Cash, Lab, and Peño. But rather than alternating chapters, each character has their own dedicated novella, sharing their individual challenges, fears, and hopes. The backdrop takes place over the course of a two-week basketball training camp, where readers get to know each character, their personal struggles, where they’ve come from, and where they may ultimately be going.

Filled with insights about the mental stamina and emotional clarity that peak performance requires, as well as the importance of empathy, teamwork, and mentorship, THE WIZENARD SERIES is an indispensable and original story for anyone interested in the astonishing potential of sports to unlock individual growth.

The Wizenard Series: Training Camp Kindle Edition
by Wesley King (Author)
   774. My name is Votto, and I love to get blotto Posted: March 19, 2019 at 02:18 PM (#5823791)
A long time ago, I read Book #2 in a series about a high-school basketball team in Indiana. It was called "Long-Shot Center", but I never could find any of the other books in the series.
   775. Athletic Supporter is USDA certified lean Posted: March 19, 2019 at 02:43 PM (#5823807)
[774] Wow, someone predicted the stretch 5 revolution in *1989*? Very impressive.
   776. jmurph Posted: March 19, 2019 at 03:19 PM (#5823816)
A long time ago, I read Book #2 in a series about a high-school basketball team in Indiana. It was called "Long-Shot Center", but I never could find any of the other books in the series.

!!! I read that series as a kid. Wow, blast from the past. I remember practically nothing but definitely loved them in like 5th-ish grade.
   777. My name is Votto, and I love to get blotto Posted: March 19, 2019 at 04:07 PM (#5823840)
Since I never finished the series, you can spoil it: did they win the State title?
   778. jmurph Posted: March 19, 2019 at 04:24 PM (#5823846)
I don't remember! But I'm going to assume yes.
   779. Laser Man Posted: March 19, 2019 at 05:11 PM (#5823871)
That is the Kirk Marshall "Hoops" series - Fast Breaks, Longshot Center, Backboard Battle, and Half-Court Hero.
   780. My name is Votto, and I love to get blotto Posted: March 19, 2019 at 05:17 PM (#5823872)
Yes, that's the one! I picked up Book #2 at a yard sale or somewhere, but never came aross the rest of the series.
   781. It's TFTIO's Monster, Actually Posted: March 19, 2019 at 08:49 PM (#5823907)
The Warriors are very much enjoying how much defence the Wolves are playing.
   782. Tom Cervo, backup catcher Posted: March 19, 2019 at 09:04 PM (#5823909)
@tomsteinfort

Ben Simmons giving a shout out to Egg Boy on court for the 76ers tonight (via @pjsteinfort)

https://twitter.com/tomsteinfort/status/1108144910123716608

Ugh, I don't want to like Tall Rondo, but this is good.
   783. JC in DC Posted: March 19, 2019 at 09:27 PM (#5823911)
James Ennis III just killed Charlotte.
   784. It's TFTIO's Monster, Actually Posted: March 19, 2019 at 09:51 PM (#5823913)
It's bananas that the Wolves ever play anything but Prince in-arena.
   785. Crispix Attacksel Rios Posted: March 19, 2019 at 10:15 PM (#5823916)
Rolabi Wizenard

Rolabi... Wizenard

Rolabi Wizenard?

A lot of good anagrams for that. Most notably:

I, LeBron, A Wizard
   786. If on a winter's night a baserunner Posted: March 20, 2019 at 02:59 AM (#5823928)
I, LeBron, A Wizard
Oh, that's good. I also like "lionized raw bar" and "bizarre wand oil".
   787. Moses Taylor, aka Hambone Fakenameington Posted: March 20, 2019 at 10:00 AM (#5823955)
K.C. Johnson @KCJHoop 48m48 minutes ago

Bulls, Blackhawks announce upgrades to United Center for next season with high-res, 8,600 square foot video scoreboard and new sound system.

About time. Though if the Bulls wanted to hire and pay a real coach, they couldn't afford this.
   788. Moses Taylor, aka Hambone Fakenameington Posted: March 20, 2019 at 11:26 AM (#5823985)
The Ringer put out their draft guide.
   789. My name is Votto, and I love to get blotto Posted: March 20, 2019 at 11:44 AM (#5823987)
I don't want to like Tall Rondo, but this is good.

I was hopeful that link would be evidence of a personality, but the answer's still "no".
   790. Moses Taylor, aka Hambone Fakenameington Posted: March 20, 2019 at 01:37 PM (#5824037)
Shams Charania @ShamsCharania 3m3 minutes ago

Bucks forward Nikola Mirotic has suffered a slight fracture of his left thumb and will miss at least two-to-four weeks, league sources tell @TheAthleticNBA @Stadium.
   791. Tin Angel Posted: March 20, 2019 at 01:53 PM (#5824045)
That really sucks.
   792. spivey Posted: March 20, 2019 at 02:06 PM (#5824048)
Ugh, it's annoying that the Bucks are getting things happening right as the season comes to a close. There's a real chance they play the first playoff round without 2 of their 6 best players, with Brogdon potentially unavailable the following series too.
   793. NJ in NY (Now with Big Girl!) Posted: March 20, 2019 at 02:20 PM (#5824052)
[792] Yeah...BOS' path to the ECF is opening up and that's very upsetting as no one from the New England region deserves anything good happening to/for them ever.

Curious how the Jazz fans are feeling about seeding/what their playoff expectations are at this point? Preseason I was all in on Utah to essentially take the spot Denver has this year and was thinking of them as at least Rd 2 maybe a Rd 3 team.
   794. Master of the Horse Posted: March 20, 2019 at 02:32 PM (#5824060)
792/793: Was negative posting some time back talking about Boston getting its groove and now feeling more so in favor of Celts. Bucks had a lot of good health luck until worst possible time. And Giannis dropped 52 on Sixers and that wasn't enough so who knows if he can power team until guys get back. Maybe have to do the China routine and shoot into the air to break up the dark clouds forming over me about Bucks.
   795. It's TFTIO's Monster, Actually Posted: March 20, 2019 at 02:48 PM (#5824067)
Dammit, Bucks, stay more healthy!
   796. Booey Posted: March 20, 2019 at 02:58 PM (#5824072)
Curious how the Jazz fans are feeling about seeding/what their playoff expectations are at this point? Preseason I was all in on Utah to essentially take the spot Denver has this year and was thinking of them as at least Rd 2 maybe a Rd 3 team.

This is a tough season to predict. For the Jazz (and everyone in the West, really) it's much more about match-ups than seeding, IMO. Denver looks like one of the most vulnerable #2 seeds (or possibly #1 seeds if the Dubs don't get their sh!t together) in recent memory. If they stay at #2, I'd actually prefer Utah stays at 7th than work their way up to 6th, 5th, or even 4th. Hell, if DEN finishes 1st, then I'm okay with the Jazz falling to 8th. If GSW does hold on to #1, 4th or 5th is actually my LEAST preferable position (well, other than 8th), because that guarantees Utah doesn't get past the 2nd round again. I think they have an outside shot at the WCF if they can stay out of the Warriors bracket. Of course, that's exactly what I'd say about DEN, OKC, or POR too; I think those 3 teams and the Jazz are all about equal. I think HOU is a hair better than all of them (the most likely team to meet GSW in the WCF, IMO), and despite their recent success, I still think SAS and LAC are a little below the rest.

As for the Jazz specifically, I'm sure they'd lose to the Warriors, I'm pretty confident they'd beat SAS and LAC (though they're unlikely to face either, unfortunately), I think they'd lose to HOU and OKC (but in a competitive series), and I think DEN and POR would be a toss up. So again, it's all about match ups.

I guess this post was a really rambling and long winded way of saying, "I don't know." Everything other than the Dubs winning the West seems up in the air to me. None of the other Western teams feel like they're any better than a 2nd round caliber team, but of course one of them has to get to the WCF by default, and all of them except the Clips and maaaaybe the Spurs feels almost equally likely.
   797. Booey Posted: March 20, 2019 at 03:19 PM (#5824081)
I do think the Jazz definitely need more help, though. They whiffed at the trade deadline, so this offseason is critical. Whether they lose in the first round, 2nd round, or WCF, I don't think they're a true title contender as they stand. They need another scorer who can create his own shot desperately.
   798. John M. Perkins Posted: March 20, 2019 at 03:53 PM (#5824092)

Go to ABEBooks.com
Searching by author [Marshall, Kirk]
I found:
Fast Breaks (Hoops 1)
Long-Shot Center (Hoops 2)
Backboard Battle (Hoops 3
Half-Court Hero (Hoops 4)
Tourney Fever (Hoops 5)
Pressure Play (Hoops 6)

799. Moeball Posted: March 20, 2019 at 04:06 PM (#5824095)
I can't believe I'm saying this, but with the way the Lakers look like they're tanking the remainder of the season, they might not even match the 35 wins of last season. They kept the core of kids (Lonzo, Kuzma, Ingram and Hart), added LeBron, and may actually win FEWER games? Of all the outcomes I could have predicted for this season, I never expected this at all.

As to the Western standings, I looked at the remaining schedules for GS and DEN and I think GS will hang on to first place by about 2 games. Teams 3-8, however, will be brutally competitive. They could still end up in just about any order.

For the East, I look to Toronto to come out on top and think this will be the year they finally get to the finals. But don't be surprised if Brad Stevens works some more magic and somehow Boston emerges...
   800. rr: drool-soaked and paralytic Posted: March 20, 2019 at 05:04 PM (#5824116)
flip
Page 8 of 16 pages ‹ First  < 6 7 8 9 10 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
dirk
for his generous support.