Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, February 15, 2019

OT - 2018-19 NBA thread (All-Star Weekend to Twelfth of Never edition)

I estimate only 10-12 Primates care about the NBA, none of whom can be bothered to curate their own thread to avoid detracting from what this site is really about:  Kyler Murray and how the Galactic Empire did nothing wrong.

Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: February 15, 2019 at 12:14 PM | 1586 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: basketball, off-topic

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 9 of 16 pages ‹ First  < 7 8 9 10 11 >  Last ›
   801. rr: target market for blowhard nonsense Posted: March 20, 2019 at 05:05 PM (#5824117)
Unfortunate for Milwaukee.
   802. spivey Posted: March 20, 2019 at 05:27 PM (#5824123)
I don't watch almost any college ball, but what do people think of Ja Morant?

His assist rate is ridiculous, very good free throw rate to help make up for a weak 3 point shot, supposedly very good athleticism, pretty good steals+blocks, solid offensive rebounding numbers. Any reason he shouldn't be the #2 pick overall?
   803. Moses Taylor, aka Hambone Fakenameington Posted: March 20, 2019 at 05:48 PM (#5824134)
supposedly very good athleticism

Just search for him on YouTube and you'll drop the supposedly. He's also pretty skinny, so I believe there's questions about his defense (gonna be limited to PGs, potentially get beat up on screens, etc).

I think I want him for the Bulls, save winning the lotto, and would just love to watch that team run and run and run.
   804. Ken Griffey's Grotesquely Swollen Jaw Posted: March 20, 2019 at 06:27 PM (#5824140)
Tonight the Bucks are missing:

Giannis
Mirotic
Brogdon
George Hill
Sterling Brown
Divincenzo
Pau

down to 8 players against the Cavs. It's like last week a Bucks fan made a monkey paw wish for DJ Wilson to get more playing time.
   805. Tom Cervo, backup catcher Posted: March 20, 2019 at 08:05 PM (#5824152)
Curious how the Jazz fans are feeling about seeding/what their playoff expectations are at this point? Preseason I was all in on Utah to essentially take the spot Denver has this year and was thinking of them as at least Rd 2 maybe a Rd 3 team.

I think I agree with everything Booey said in 796. Assuming they get a seed where they can avoid the Warriors until the WCF, I think they could make it that far. I also think I would slightly favor the Rockets-Blazers-Thunder in any series and barely favor the Jazz against the Nuggets, so I'm expecting a first round exit as most likely.
   806. JC in DC Posted: March 20, 2019 at 08:44 PM (#5824159)
Man, the refs in the Boston Philly game stink.
   807. JC in DC Posted: March 20, 2019 at 09:00 PM (#5824161)
Not a Boston fan, but the Celtics can't draw a foul. Philly has 36 FTs to Boston's 11. Irving is attacking and not getting rewarded by the refs. Tatum is kinda invisible this game.
   808. Booey Posted: March 20, 2019 at 09:31 PM (#5824172)
Jazz with 111 pts after 3 quarters. I'm starting to think the Knicks just aren't that good...
   809. JJ1986 Posted: March 20, 2019 at 10:23 PM (#5824179)
   810. Athletic Supporter is USDA certified lean Posted: March 20, 2019 at 10:58 PM (#5824186)
[809] YESSSSSS
   811. tshipman Posted: March 20, 2019 at 11:43 PM (#5824190)
The Ringer put out their draft guide.

I am slightly mystified by these things.

Does anyone really think Cam Reddish is good?
Why is RJ Hunter going #2 overall? It's not because of his college play.

I don't watch almost any college ball, but what do people think of Ja Morant?

Easily the #2 overall. Love his assists + turnovers. Plays an important position. Good FT shooter, so the 3per is projectible.
   812. Booey Posted: March 21, 2019 at 01:08 AM (#5824194)
Good night for the Jazz*. Easy win, plus Thunder, Spurs, and Rockets losses. Utah leapfrogs SAS and OKC to move into 5th, and the Thunder drop to 8th (!).

* Except like I said before, 4th/5th is actually kind of a bad spot for them. Rockets and Blazers need to lose a few more times so the Jazz can finish in 3rd (and have SAS stay in 6th and DEN in 2nd. That's basically their best route to the WCF, unless LAC can somehow end up in 6th).
   813. Slivers of Maranville descends into chaos (SdeB) Posted: March 21, 2019 at 08:23 AM (#5824205)

Why is RJ Hunter going #2 overall? It's not because of his college play.

You mean RJ Barrett? That's not a draft ranking, just a list of 15 players to be aware of. The rankings come later.
   814. spivey Posted: March 21, 2019 at 09:07 AM (#5824210)
I didn't realize OKC had been so poor recently. They're 5-10 since the ASB. Looks like their defense is way down. Still think they're one of the best bets to beat Golden State - I'd like Golden State to at least need to go through them and Houston.
   815. NJ in NY (Now with Big Girl!) Posted: March 21, 2019 at 10:00 AM (#5824218)
I didn't realize OKC had been so poor recently. They're 5-10 since the ASB. Looks like their defense is way down. Still think they're one of the best bets to beat Golden State - I'd like Golden State to at least need to go through them and Houston.

Same. Without really digging into it, I feel like I'd like the West standings to hold so that GSW has to face OKC, Utah, and HOU.

EDIT: Jazz fans, thanks for your replies. I feel similarly about the team's potential/performance.
   816. jmurph Posted: March 21, 2019 at 10:45 AM (#5824233)
Tom Haberstroh @tomhaberstroh
Paul George is second in the NBA in PPG this season. He would need to average 76 points per game over the final *10* games to catch James Harden's 36.1 PPG
   817. jmurph Posted: March 21, 2019 at 11:14 AM (#5824249)
So Toronto is probably going to get the 1 seed? Big advantage for the Sixers, I think.
   818. NJ in NY (Now with Big Girl!) Posted: March 21, 2019 at 11:26 AM (#5824261)
So Toronto is probably going to get the 1 seed? Big advantage for the Sixers, I think.

2 games back with 10 to go is a lot to overcome.
   819. jmurph Posted: March 21, 2019 at 11:30 AM (#5824265)
True, but Milwaukee is hit with injuries and Toronto's remaining schedule is a thing to behold:

OKC
Charlotte
Chicago
@ New York
@ Chicago
Orlando
@ Brooklyn
@ Charlotte
Miami
@ Minnesota

Milwaukee at least has a few more tough games: Houston, Clippers, @ Sixers, and also OKC.

I guess I'd amend it and say Toronto has a decent chance to catch Milwaukee, rather than they probably will.
   820. jmurph Posted: March 21, 2019 at 11:42 AM (#5824276)
Speaking of remaining schedules, Boston and Indiana play each other twice, one home game each, which could go a long way to determining home court in that (likely) series.
   821. spivey Posted: March 21, 2019 at 11:54 AM (#5824290)
Milwaukee has the tiebreaker over Toronto too, so Toronto is really has to make up 3 games.

I actually think as a Milwaukee fan I'd prefer the 2. I think Brooklyn is worse than Miami, I think Milwaukee also matches up better with Philly than Boston.

All that said, I expect Milwaukee to get home court and I'm still rooting as a fan for them to get 60 wins or at least the best record in the NBA. Of course injuries are more important, but if Giannis is able to play most of the games then they'll still win a fair clip I think.
   822. jmurph Posted: March 21, 2019 at 12:19 PM (#5824310)
Milwaukee has the tiebreaker over Toronto too, so Toronto is really has to make up 3 games.

That's a big deal, that probably cancels out everything I said! They should be fine.
   823. Dandy Little Glove Man Posted: March 21, 2019 at 03:05 PM (#5824386)
Toronto's remaining schedule is a thing to behold

If so, then Utah's schedule is simply breathtaking. They're currently 5 games into a stretch of playing 14 straight against below-average teams, including 10 games against the bottom quarter.
   824. Booey Posted: March 21, 2019 at 03:26 PM (#5824394)
If so, then Utah's schedule is simply breathtaking. They're currently 5 games into a stretch of playing 14 straight against below-average teams, including 10 games against the bottom quarter.

Yep. This is why I haven't been too worried about their not-quite-up-to-preseason-expectations record all year long. Their early schedule was just brutal, and now they have a chance to make up some ground down the stretch. They're on a 5 game winning streak, with wins of 17, 20, 16, 21, and 21...though TBF those games were:

@ PHX
vs MIN
vs BKN
@ WAS
@ NYK

And their next 9 games are:

@ ATL
@ CHI
vs PHX
vs LAL
vs WAS
vs CHA
@ PHX
vs SAC
@ LAL

On paper, that should be a 14 game winning streak before finally ending the season with a couple of toss up games (vs DEN, @ LAC). But of course, games aren't played on paper, and sh!t happens, as evidenced by those losses against NOP and MEM 2 weeks ago.

But the early predictions of 50 wins and a top 4 seed are still realistically within the realm of possibility.
   825. jmurph Posted: March 21, 2019 at 04:56 PM (#5824415)
Dreamy headline for Suns fans:
Kevin McHale, Jim Paxson among Suns' GM candidates?
   826. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: March 21, 2019 at 07:18 PM (#5824456)
Kevin Durant's 'Adopted Brother' Clifford Dixon Fatally Shot Outside Atlanta Bar
According to the Oklahoman, Dixon was taken in by Durant's mother, Wanda Pratt, when he was 16 years old.
   827. SteveF Posted: March 21, 2019 at 07:20 PM (#5824457)
Yep. This is why I haven't been too worried about their not-quite-up-to-preseason-expectations record all year long. Their early schedule was just brutal

Same here. It wasn't only the quality of the opponents, but 30 games into the season I think they'd played like close to 20 road games.
   828. jmurph Posted: March 22, 2019 at 11:14 AM (#5824564)
On paper, that should be a 14 game winning streak before finally ending the season with a couple of toss up games (vs DEN, @ LAC). But of course, games aren't played on paper, and sh!t happens, as evidenced by those losses against NOP and MEM 2 weeks ago.

Ahem, as you were saying Booey.
   829. Booey Posted: March 22, 2019 at 12:05 PM (#5824581)
Ahem, as you were saying Booey.

Yep. Sh!t happens. Especially on the 2nd night of a B2B on the road. Jazz had an 8 pt lead with around 5 minutes left and then just seemed to run out of gas.

Now there's a 4 way tie for the 5-8 seeds, and Jazz drop from 5th to 7th again due to tie breakers. OKC - without even playing a game - jumps from 8th back up to 5th. But the Thunder and Spurs play in Toronto and Houston tonight respectively, and if they both lose, Jazz will jump back up to 5th or 6th - also without playing another game - depending on whether LAC wins. Weird how that works sometimes.

The West standings are almost as nuts as they were last year. At least there's no danger of falling out of the playoffs entirely though like there was then.
   830. Steve Parris, Je t'aime Posted: March 22, 2019 at 12:27 PM (#5824593)
Portland is in a weird spot right. I could see them sneaking in as the third seed like last year. They're just 1/2 game behind Houston and they hold the tiebreaker. They're also 2 1/2 games ahead of the 5-8 teams and hold the tiebreaker against only LAC. It's not likely that all of those teams pass Portland (and they don't play any head to head), but with McCollum out it wouldn't shock me if they slipped to 8th.
   831. jmurph Posted: March 22, 2019 at 12:29 PM (#5824595)
Adam Himmelsbach @AdamHimmelsbach
The Pacers have just two wins over teams currently with winning records since Oladipo’s injury on Jan. 23, and one was against an extremely shorthanded Clippers team after its trades.

Okay this gives me hope that Boston can pass them for 4th and get home court for a round.
   832. My name is Votto, and I love to get blotto Posted: March 22, 2019 at 12:39 PM (#5824600)
Interesting tidbit from Zach Lowe's latest column: Collin Sexton is shooting 41% on 3's this year....phenomenal for a guy that shot 33% in college.
   833. Athletic Supporter is USDA certified lean Posted: March 22, 2019 at 12:51 PM (#5824607)
Interesting tidbit from Zach Lowe's latest column: Collin Sexton is shooting 41% on 3's this year....phenomenal for a guy that shot 33% in college.

I'm wondering about this Ja Morant thing, I agree (as do others here it seems) that he is the clear #2 pick at this point. What happens if Cleveland or Atlanta gets the #2 pick? It is hard for me to see Sexton or Trae Young playing with Morant and having everyone involved develop at the appropriate speed. You'd have to figure it's up for grabs at that point, right?

I'm not sure how the Knicks or Mavs would feel about this either, though I tend to think that Frankie Smokes and DSJ are not worth worrying about too much and that Doncic's versatility would mean you just take Morant and have them figure it out.

I'd imagine the Bulls or Suns would be insanely thrilled to have Morant fall into their laps (once they got over the disappointment of not getting Zion).
   834. tshipman Posted: March 22, 2019 at 12:55 PM (#5824612)
I'm wondering about this Ja Morant thing, I agree (as do others here it seems) that he is the clear #2 pick at this point. What happens if Cleveland or Atlanta gets the #2 pick? It is hard for me to see Sexton or Trae Young playing with Morant and having everyone involved develop at the appropriate speed. You'd have to figure it's up for grabs at that point, right?

They make a bad decision that cripples their franchise.

I mean, that's what those teams do!

Portland is in a weird spot right. I could see them sneaking in as the third seed like last year. They're just 1/2 game behind Houston and they hold the tiebreaker. They're also 2 1/2 games ahead of the 5-8 teams and hold the tiebreaker against only LAC. It's not likely that all of those teams pass Portland (and they don't play any head to head), but with McCollum out it wouldn't shock me if they slipped to 8th.

I feel like Portland is a thought experiment:
What would happen if we took Boston/Philly/Indiana and put them in the West?
   835. Athletic Supporter is USDA certified lean Posted: March 22, 2019 at 12:58 PM (#5824614)
They make a bad decision that cripples their franchise.

I mean, that's what those teams do!

Who is the Anthony Bennett of the 2019 NBA Draft?

Has to be Cam Reddish, right?
   836. jmurph Posted: March 22, 2019 at 01:04 PM (#5824617)
I'm wondering about this Ja Morant thing

That two-handed dunk last night, my god.
   837. The Good Face Posted: March 22, 2019 at 01:17 PM (#5824623)
Who is the Anthony Bennett of the 2019 NBA Draft?

Has to be Cam Reddish, right?

There are plenty of question marks that'll go somewhere in the top 15 or so, but I can't think of anybody projected as a top 10 pick more likely to be out of the league in 2-3 years than Reddish. He's 6'8, not a freak athlete, he doesn't rebound or pass well, his shooting has been mediocre at best, and his motor is inconsistent. Dunno what people see there beyond high school hype.
   838. tshipman Posted: March 22, 2019 at 01:21 PM (#5824625)
There are plenty of question marks that'll go somewhere in the top 15 or so, but I can't think of anybody projected as a top 10 pick more likely to be out of the league in 2-3 years than Reddish. He's 6'8, not a freak athlete, he doesn't rebound or pass well, his shooting has been mediocre at best, and his motor is inconsistent. Dunno what people see there beyond high school hype.

He's shooting below 40% on 2pers!

Like, he looks like a second round flyer to me, but he's being projected in the top 5! That seems insane.
   839. tshipman Posted: March 22, 2019 at 01:28 PM (#5824630)
Side point: I think RJ Barrett is not being talked enough about as a potential bust.
   840. The Good Face Posted: March 22, 2019 at 01:28 PM (#5824631)
Like, he looks like a second round flyer to me, but he's being projected in the top 5! That seems insane.

I guess if you squint you can kinda sorta argue that his FT% is pretty good (on low volume, shocker) and since he's the only real 3 threat on Duke he doesn't get many open looks, so he projects to be a better shooter than his numbers. But that's really weak tea. I'd be super upset if my team spent a 1st round pick on him.
   841. aberg Posted: March 22, 2019 at 01:30 PM (#5824633)

That's oddly similar to the Wiggins scouting report, and he not only went first, he got a max extension!
   842. The Good Face Posted: March 22, 2019 at 01:30 PM (#5824634)
Side point: I think RJ Barrett is not being talked enough about as a potential bust.

I dunno. He's got solid size and athleticism, can pass, and actually plays hard. Not sold on him becoming a star, but I'll be surprised if he doesn't manage to carve out a decent career.
   843. NJ in NY (Now with Big Girl!) Posted: March 22, 2019 at 01:32 PM (#5824635)
I've watched probably 80% of Duke's minutes this year. I...kind of like Reddish.

EDIT: [841] I was going to caveat the fact that I like Reddish with the fact that I also liked Wiggins.

I guess if you squint you can kinda sorta argue that his FT% is pretty good (on low volume, shocker) and since he's the only real 3 threat on Duke he doesn't get many open looks, so he projects to be a better shooter than his numbers. But that's really weak tea. I'd be super upset if my team spent a 1st round pick on him

I think if you control for the fact that about 61% of his shots are 3s his FT rate looks pretty good.

He's got solid size and athleticism, can pass, and actually plays hard. Not sold on him becoming a star, but I'll be surprised if he doesn't manage to carve out a decent career.

He might be Rudy Gay.

EDIT2: RJ is incredibly frustrating to watch. I also found out he's my friend's cousin.
   844. tshipman Posted: March 22, 2019 at 01:43 PM (#5824639)
I dunno. He's got solid size and athleticism, can pass, and actually plays hard. Not sold on him becoming a star, but I'll be surprised if he doesn't manage to carve out a decent career.

He might be Rudy Gay.

EDIT2: RJ is incredibly frustrating to watch.

Is that what you want at #2 overall? That's where he's been getting mocked.

Like, are you happy if you pick Andrew Wiggins with a top 5 pick?
   845. aberg Posted: March 22, 2019 at 01:48 PM (#5824641)
Here are the best teams you can make out of present-state NBA players who went to the same schools. I tried to make the lineups make at least a little bit of sense and have at least 3 bench guys. I tried to pick the 3 best reserves regardless of positional balance. I'm sure I missed a few guys, maybe even a whole team.

There are a few honorable mention teams who were a little short on the total number or who couldn't put together a real lineup: USC, Villanova, Florida, Wake Forest, Ohio State, Syracuse, UConn, Louisville, Indiana, Michigan State.

Separate from the colleges, here are two novelties, US players with no college and Internatinoal players with no US-college.

US High School
PG- Lou Williams
SG- JR Smith
SF- Lebron James
PF- Amir Johnson
C- Dwight Howard
Bench- Tyson Chandler, Shaun Livingston, Marc Gasol (sort of)

International
PG- Goran Dragic
SG- Luka Doncic
SF- Giannis Antetokounmpo
PF- Nikola Jokic
C- Rudy Gobert
Bench- Joe Ingles, Kristaps Porzingis, Clint Capela

From there, here are the top 8 who can make real, competitive teams.

8. Michigan
PG- Trey Burke
SG- Sauce Castillo
SF- Tim Hardaway
SF- Caris Levert
C- Moritz Wagner
Bench- Jamal Crawford, DJ Wilson, Glenn Robinson

7. UNC
PG- Ray Felton
SG- Danny Green
SF- Reggie Bullock
PF- Harrison Barnes
C- Tyler Zeller
Bench- Wayne Ellington, Marvin Williams, Vince Cater

6. Arizona
PG- Jerryd Bayless
SG- Andre Iguodala
SF- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson
PF- Aaron Gordon
C- Deandre Ayton
Bench- Lauri Markkanen, Stanley Johnson, Solomon Hill

5. Kansas
PG- Frank Mason
SG- Ben McLemore
SF- Andrew Wiggins
PF- Marcus Morris
C- Joel Embiid
Bench- Kelly Oubre, Markieff Morris, Josh Jackson

4. Duke
PG-Kyrie Irving
SG- JJ Redick
SF- Brandon Ingram
PF- Jason Tatum
C- Wendell Cater
Bench- Jabari Parker, Marvin Bagley, Austin Rivers

3. UCLA
PG- Russell Westbrook
SG- Jrue Holiday
SF- Trevor Ariza
PF- Kevin Love
C- Kevon Looney
Bench- Darren Collison, Zach Lavine, Lonzo Ball

2. Texas
PG- DJ Augustin
SG- Avery Bradley
SF- Kevin Durant
PF- Myles Turner
C- Lamarcus Aldridge
Bench- PJ Tucker, Jarrett Allen, Tristan Thompson

1. Kentucky
PG- Jamal Murray
SG- Devin Booker
SF- Anthony Davis
PF- Karl-Anthony Towns
C- DeMarcus Cousins
Bench- Eric Bledsoe, Deaaron Fox, Julius Randle (many more)

846. aberg Posted: March 22, 2019 at 01:50 PM (#5824642)

If you immediately trade him and some garbage for Kevin Love and then win your city's first title in 60 years, then yes.
   847. The Good Face Posted: March 22, 2019 at 01:50 PM (#5824644)
Is that what you want at #2 overall? That's where he's been getting mocked.

I don't think anybody is happy with Andrew Wiggins outside of his immediate family. But Barrett could turn into DeMar DeRozan, which isn't a terrible outcome for the 3rd pick in a weak draft.
   848. jacksone (AKA It's OK...) Posted: March 22, 2019 at 02:05 PM (#5824655)
There are a few honorable mention teams who were a little short on the total number or who couldn't put together a real lineup: USC, Villanova,

Why not Nova? Their bigs are a bit undersized, but their guards could make up for it. They are at least better than UNC's team.

PG - Kyle Lowry
SG - Josh Hart
SF - Mikal Bridges
PF - Dante Cunningham
C - Omari Spellman
Bench - Jalen Brunson, Donte DiVincenzo, Ryan Arcidiacono
   849. . . . . . . Posted: March 22, 2019 at 02:06 PM (#5824658)
John Belien is such a good coach. That list of teams is like 9 teams with guys with jump-out-of-the-gym height and athleticism, and then 1 team with guys who have no business being NBA caliber.

I like Morant and think he’s kind of the player everyone wishes Ntilikina would’ve been, but isn’t.
   850. tshipman Posted: March 22, 2019 at 02:07 PM (#5824659)
I don't think anybody is happy with Andrew Wiggins outside of his immediate family. But Barrett could turn into DeMar DeRozan, which isn't a terrible outcome for the 3rd pick in a weak draft.

DeRozan has been a net negative player almost every year of his career. To me, I'd rather have the Danny Green archetype than the DeRozan archetype.

If you immediately trade him and some garbage for Kevin Love and then win your city's first title in 60 years, then yes.

Touche.
   851. Tom Cervo, backup catcher Posted: March 22, 2019 at 02:11 PM (#5824663)
Marquette wouldn't have a bench or a real center, but I kind of like this:
PG: Wade
SG: Wesley Matthews
SF: Butler
PF: Jae Crowder
C: Henry Ellenson
   852. NJ in NY (Now with Big Girl!) Posted: March 22, 2019 at 02:12 PM (#5824665)
I like Morant and think he’s kind of the player everyone wishes Ntilikina would’ve been, but isn’t.

They have nothing in common other than both are basketball players so I don't get the comparison.
   853. tshipman Posted: March 22, 2019 at 02:15 PM (#5824667)
They have nothing in common other than both are basketball players so I don't get the comparison.

People wish Ntilikina wasn't French, obviously.
   854. Dandy Little Glove Man Posted: March 22, 2019 at 02:42 PM (#5824686)
Some other schools that could manage a starting lineup:

Ohio St
PG- Mike Conley
SG- D'Angelo Russell
SF- Evan Turner
PF- Keita Bates-Diop
C- Kosta Koufos

USC
PG- De'Anthony Melton
SG- Nick Young
SF- DeMar DeRozan
PF- Taj Gibson
C- Nikola Vucevic (Dewayne Dedmon 6th man)

Wake Forest
PG- Chris Paul (Ish Smith 6th man)
SG- Jeff Teague
SF- Al-Farouq Aminu
PF- James Johnson
C- John Collins

Oklahoma couldn't field a team, but I'd like to see them in the 3-on-3 tournament with Trae Young, Buddy Hield, and Blake Griffin.

Also, for Duke I'd adjust the above roster:
PG- Kyrie Irving
SG- JJ Redick
SF- Justise Winslow
PF- Jayson Tatum
C- Mason Plumlee
Bench- Brandon Ingram, Marvin Bagley, Tyus Jones (or Seth Curry)

ETA: UConn
PG- Kemba Walker
SG- Shabazz Napier
SF- Jeremy Lamb
PF- Rudy Gay
C- Andre Drummond
   855. aberg Posted: March 22, 2019 at 03:26 PM (#5824704)
Why not Nova? Their bigs are a bit undersized, but their guards could make up for it. They are at least better than UNC's team.

That's fair. I cut them when I noticed that Spellman and Cunningham were the entire frontcourt, but they have enough players and Lowry is probably enough to put them above 1-2 of those teams at the bottom.
   856. John M. Perkins Posted: March 22, 2019 at 04:37 PM (#5824726)
Michigan State

PG Bryn Forbes (out of position, but he did start the season at point)
SG Gary Harris
SF Miles Bridges
PF Draymond Green
C Deyonta Davis
   857. John M. Perkins Posted: March 22, 2019 at 04:41 PM (#5824727)
U Washington

PG Isaiah Thomas
SG Markele Fultz
SG/SF Justin Holiday
PF Terrence Ross
PF/C Marquess Chriss
   858. John M. Perkins Posted: March 22, 2019 at 04:48 PM (#5824730)
Colorado can fill an all guard team.
   859. aberg Posted: March 22, 2019 at 05:04 PM (#5824737)
U Washington

PG Isaiah Thomas
SG Markele Fultz
SG/SF Justin Holiday
PF Terrence Ross
PF/C Marquess Chriss

We also have Dejounte Murray. If Jaylen Nowell and Matisse Thybulle both get into the league next year, we would actually be eligible for this list!
   860. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: March 22, 2019 at 05:23 PM (#5824742)
3. UCLA
PG- Russell Westbrook
SG- Jrue Holiday
SF- Trevor Ariza
PF- Kevin Love
C- Kevon Looney
Bench- Darren Collison, Zach Lavine, Lonzo Ball
I'd put Kyle Anderson at C and just go small. Ben Howland had a great run.
   861. JC in DC Posted: March 22, 2019 at 06:18 PM (#5824754)
What 852 said
   862. yo la tengo Posted: March 22, 2019 at 08:13 PM (#5824766)
Seems like you could put together a team of Florida Gators. Vernon Maxwell, Bradley Beal, Matt Bonner, Joakim Noah, Al Horford, David Lee, Corey Brewer, Mike Miller, Andrew deClerq...

You could definitely put together a decent team
   863. It's TFTIO's Monster, Actually Posted: March 22, 2019 at 09:45 PM (#5824776)
Kawhi Leonard is a good basketballist.
   864. jacksone (AKA It's OK...) Posted: March 22, 2019 at 09:48 PM (#5824778)
Seems like you could put together a team of Florida Gators. Vernon Maxwell, Bradley Beal, Matt Bonner, Joakim Noah, Al Horford, David Lee, Corey Brewer, Mike Miller, Andrew deClerq...

Here are the best teams you can make out of present-state NBA players
   865. Athletic Supporter is USDA certified lean Posted: March 22, 2019 at 11:12 PM (#5824787)
NBA non-major-conference NCAA team?

G Stephen Curry
G Damian Lillard
F Kawhi Leonard
F Paul George
C Domantas Sabonis

Bench: CJ McCollum, Kenneth Faried, JaVale McGee

If you consider the conference of the university when the player played there, add Tyreke Evans, Kyle Korver, Andrew Bogut, Goofy Halfstep.

I guess this is probably too big a pool to be fair.
   866. CFBF Rides The Zombie Ice Dragon Posted: March 22, 2019 at 11:33 PM (#5824789)
I was going to say that Florida can field a team if you expand the pool to international players/D-League guys so they can find a point guard, but even if you let them run out Chris Chiozza or Nick Calathes at the PG spot the team is basically Beal, Horford and the shredded remains of Joakim Noah's and Chandler Parsons' knees playing out the string in Memphis (Noah actually seems to be doing reasonably well in part-time work, which makes me happy).
   867. Booey Posted: March 22, 2019 at 11:34 PM (#5824790)
Kawhi Leonard is a good basketballist.

That scruffy guy down in Houston is pretty good too.

Has anyone's hypothetical MVP vote changed in the past month or so since we talked about it last? Beard, Freak, or someone else?
   868. Tin Angel Posted: March 22, 2019 at 11:41 PM (#5824791)
Beard, Freak, or someone else?

Paul George is in the conversation I think, though it's looking like it will almost certainly be Giannis or Harden.
   869. Athletic Supporter is USDA certified lean Posted: March 23, 2019 at 02:34 AM (#5824797)
I'll be stunned if anyone other than Giannis wins.

When has the clear best player on the best team, who has never won it before, failed to win MVP?
   870. JC in DC Posted: March 23, 2019 at 07:41 AM (#5824799)
I love Gianni's, but he's not been clearly better than Harden.
   871. NJ in NY (Now with Big Girl!) Posted: March 23, 2019 at 09:21 AM (#5824801)
[870] I think he's referring to Giannis being the best Bucks player. Best guy on best team as opposed to a Pistons situation.
   872. JC in DC Posted: March 23, 2019 at 09:46 AM (#5824802)
Thanks for the clarification, but Harden is averaging 36ppg on a title contending team and he carried the team when it looked they were about to collapse beneath injuries and underperformance. I think this is a tough choice, but I think it comes down to these two.
   873. Booey Posted: March 23, 2019 at 10:46 AM (#5824807)
Paul George is in the conversation I think, though it's looking like it will almost certainly be Giannis or Harden.

George is (IMO) a distant 3rd. His stats are great but his team probably won't win 50 games and could finish as low as 8th despite another All Star (averaging a triple double) to help him out. OKC has disappointed since the ASB and will likely end up with the same basic record they had the previous 2 seasons post KD.

Harden is averaging the most PPG since Jordan in 1987 (and the 7th most ever, behind 5 Wilt seasons from the early 60's). And the Rockets are 3rd in the West and probably the favorites to play the Warriors in the WCF, which could differentiate Harden's season in the eyes of the voters from Kobe's epic 2006 scoring binge for a 7th seed.
   874. shout-out to 57i66135; that shit's working now Posted: March 23, 2019 at 12:09 PM (#5824816)
giannis: +12 net rating
harden: +4 net rating

giannis: +8 net on/off rating
harden: +3 net on/off rating

giannis: 10.9 BPM (+5.2 DBPM)
harden: 11.4 BPM (+.9 DBPM)

both of these guys are having MVP caliber seasons.
   875. shout-out to 57i66135; that shit's working now Posted: March 23, 2019 at 12:12 PM (#5824820)
fun fact:
the sixers starting lineup with embiid/harris/butler/redick/simmons is +19 PTS/100 possessions since the all-star break.

bonus fun fact:
BOS's starting lineup (kyrie/smart/morris/tatum/horford) is -6 PTS/100 possessions over the same time period.
   876. rr: target market for blowhard nonsense Posted: March 23, 2019 at 01:44 PM (#5824836)
MVP: I would probably vote for Antetokounmpo, but I think Harden will win in a close vote.
East Playoffs: BOS/PHI going 7 would be pretty exciting in terms of BBTF. Ha.
   877. PJ Martinez Posted: March 23, 2019 at 02:32 PM (#5824841)
The best thing about a BOS/PHI series, as a Celtics fan, is that it would mean Boston had somehow gotten past Milwaukee in the second round and Philly had gotten Toronto out of the way. I wouldn't put money on it, but it's certainly what I'm rooting for.
   878. Athletic Supporter is USDA certified lean Posted: March 23, 2019 at 02:57 PM (#5824847)
Harden's team is going to lose 10+ games more than last year. If team success matters at all, he's not going to win (and yes, I mean Giannis is the clear best player on the Bucks).
   879. rr: target market for blowhard nonsense Posted: March 23, 2019 at 03:15 PM (#5824850)
Yeah, but:

1. Harden's team won 65 games last year, so doing a lot worse than that is not a disgrace. Golden State
and Denver are 49-22, and Toronto is 51-22. Only Milwaukee (yes, that is GA's team) has a shot to win 60. The league is very balanced in the regular season right now.
2. Houston has had serious injury issues, and there were people, including some on this site, saying that they might miss postseason because of how balanced and tough the West is. Harden is the main reason that they won't.

I would vote for Antetokounmpo, I think, but I do not see voting for Harden as unreasonable and with the narrative and the huge scoring outbursts, I think he will get it.
   880. JJ1986 Posted: March 23, 2019 at 04:48 PM (#5824858)
I almost never watch college ball anymore, but I cannot believe how much players just try to take their opponents one-on-one. Why don't they set more screens? I don't see how NBA teams can evaluate help defense and defensive IQ for these guys when they're not facing pick-and-roll based offenses.
   881. tshipman Posted: March 23, 2019 at 04:56 PM (#5824860)
I almost never watch college ball anymore, but I cannot believe how much players just try to take their opponents one-on-one. Why don't they set more screens? I don't see how NBA teams can evaluate help defense and defensive IQ for these guys when they're not facing pick-and-roll based offenses.

Zones are way more common in college, and harder to attack with a PnR because there will always be help at the basket.

Generally speaking, PnR ball-handler plays are pretty inefficient unless you're talking about an absolute stud shooter/playmaker, so when you say that there's no PnR, it's mostly because they bottle up the roll man.
   882. Athletic Supporter is USDA certified lean Posted: March 23, 2019 at 05:00 PM (#5824863)
I see Minnesota and Michigan State are playing today. I thought one of the bracket rules was that teams from the same conference couldn't meet this early. Did they get rid of this rule?
   883. Howie Menckel Posted: March 23, 2019 at 05:12 PM (#5824865)
once they started taking 8 or 9 teams from the same conference, it made 100 percent adherence a practical impossibility. but where practical, it seems they still avoid it.
   884. Laser Man Posted: March 23, 2019 at 06:20 PM (#5824880)
[882] NCAA's explanation for Michigan State - Minnesota:

Why Michigan State and Minnesota are playing each other
   885. Athletic Supporter is USDA certified lean Posted: March 23, 2019 at 08:16 PM (#5824895)
Funny, thanks Laser Man.
   886. Tin Angel Posted: March 23, 2019 at 10:05 PM (#5824905)
The Mavs are about to drop 130 on the Warriors and are up by almost 30. No Steph, Bogut, or Livingston, but still.
   887. rr: target market for blowhard nonsense Posted: March 24, 2019 at 12:51 AM (#5824919)
Golden State: Chicago did not have the best record in the league on the third leg of either threepeat, either, and had very competitive series both years, but they got it done. Same with the 2002 Lakers. I think Golden State will too, when it comes down to it.
   888. Thok Posted: March 24, 2019 at 08:57 AM (#5824927)
I'm sort of amused that UC Berkeley can actually run something resembling an actual NBA lineup with their five currently active players.

PG Tyrone Wallace
SG Allan Crabbe
SF Jaylen Brown
PF Ryan Anderson
C Ivan Rabb

I'm not saying that this would be a good lineup, just that it's one that you could actually reasonably play for a few minutes in an NBA game.
   889. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: March 24, 2019 at 01:21 PM (#5824942)
GT can no longer do that.

C Favors
F Thad Young
G Okogie
G Shumpert

Jack and Georges-Hunt played in the NBA last year, but suffered season ending injuries whilst in the minors in 18-19. Morrow is done and Bosh finally gave up on a return.

890. It's TFTIO's Monster, Actually Posted: March 24, 2019 at 08:28 PM (#5824995)
Bad loss for the Barneys.
   891. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: March 24, 2019 at 08:36 PM (#5824997)
So Denver and GSW each had 30-point losses this weekend, huh? I didn’t see either game—dafuq is goin on? Is the #1 seed just not worth it?
   892. Ken Griffey's Grotesquely Swollen Jaw Posted: March 24, 2019 at 08:37 PM (#5824998)
yeah, I would think that pretty much locks the Bucks into the 1 seed, essentially up 5 games with 8 to play.

That was a pretty cool shot by Lamb. It was up in the air so long, nobody seemed to realize it had a shot of going in.
   893. tshipman Posted: March 24, 2019 at 11:01 PM (#5825016)
So Denver and GSW each had 30-point losses this weekend, huh? I didn’t see either game—dafuq is goin on? Is the #1 seed just not worth it?

3pm/3pA
DEN
:   7/29
IND
:   8/18

DAL
:  21/49
GSW
:  4/30 

Or yeah, they lacked the will to get the #1 seed or whatever.
   894. jmurph Posted: March 25, 2019 at 09:47 AM (#5825041)
re: the MVP, I'm with RR, I think Harden wins, and relatively comfortably. I would vote for Giannis though.
fun fact:
the sixers starting lineup with embiid/harris/butler/redick/simmons is +19 PTS/100 possessions since the all-star break.

bonus fun fact:
BOS's starting lineup (kyrie/smart/morris/tatum/horford) is -6 PTS/100 possessions over the same time period.

The only team in the entire Eastern Conference, Knicks and Cavs included, that I would pick Boston to win a series against is the Sixers.
   895. If on a winter's night a baserunner Posted: March 25, 2019 at 12:22 PM (#5825098)
Are we sure the Celtics aren't tanking for a 6/3 matchup with Philly?

(Unfortunately, yes.)
   896. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: March 25, 2019 at 12:24 PM (#5825099)
893- didn’t see, was just asking
   897. PJ Martinez Posted: March 25, 2019 at 12:26 PM (#5825100)
I mean, Denver still loses even if threes are more normal -- and that's putting aside questions about who was shooting those threes, how open they were, etc.

GSW v. DAL would seem to be another story, given how extreme those numbers are on both sides -- but presumably GSW deserves some blame for letting DAL shoot 49 threes?
   898. Master of the Horse Posted: March 25, 2019 at 12:33 PM (#5825103)
So after last year reading on all the things Brogdon couldn't do pretty surreal to now read that the Bucks are pretty much ###### in the second round if Brogdon doesn't come back. Not stating that is being shared here. But like every time I check some article/blog/pod it's completely negative about the Bucks without MB.
   899. CFBF Rides The Zombie Ice Dragon Posted: March 25, 2019 at 12:42 PM (#5825106)
In utterly crucial NBA news, the Rockets have signed Chris Chiozza for the rest of the season, which means the Florida alumni team can field a full starting lineup. Victory!
   900. rr: target market for blowhard nonsense Posted: March 25, 2019 at 01:54 PM (#5825131)
flip
Page 9 of 16 pages ‹ First  < 7 8 9 10 11 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
BFFB
for his generous support.