Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Wednesday, May 30, 2018

OT - 2018 NBA Summer Potpourri (finals, draft, free agency, Colangelo dragging)

I estimate only 10-12 Primates care about the NBA, none of whom can be bothered to curate their own thread to avoid detracting from what this site is really about:  complaints about mayonnaise.

EDIT: image is shrunken. Mouse over to show full size. -vi

Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: May 30, 2018 at 12:56 AM | 3814 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: basketball, nba, off-topic

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 32 of 39 pages ‹ First  < 30 31 32 33 34 >  Last ›
   3101. Crispix Attacksel Rios Posted: July 13, 2018 at 11:42 AM (#5709459)
If the Pistons are convinced Reggie Jackson will never be healthy for a full season I guess they could acquire a younger, cheaper, even less likeable Reggie Jackson.
   3102. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: July 13, 2018 at 11:44 AM (#5709460)
Please do, Detroit!

(Schroder is probably my all-time least favorite Hawk. Can't stand his game and don't like what I know about him as a person.)
   3103. JJ1986 Posted: July 13, 2018 at 11:48 AM (#5709463)
Schroder also seems like the kind of player who the Horcats will trade for next summer after Kemba Walker leaves. But the Hawks probably want him gone now.
   3104. SPICEY WITH A SIDE OF BEER ON A BABYYYYYYY Posted: July 13, 2018 at 12:02 PM (#5709469)
I'm actually a bit higher on Parker than I used to be. His 3 point shooting is starting to move into legitimately good territory, he's improved his rebounding, and I think in the Boston series he did show some ability to be an ok defender.

I still think he can be a good small-ball 4, but you're definitely projecting a good amount if you bet on him.
   3105. Crosseyed and Painless Posted: July 13, 2018 at 12:49 PM (#5709497)
If the Pistons are convinced Reggie Jackson will never be healthy for a full season I guess they could acquire a younger, cheaper, even less likeable Reggie Jackson.

I hope this doesn't happen. I saw this post and panicked and checked Twitter to make sure it hadn't happened.
   3106. there isn't anything to do in buffalo but 57i66135 Posted: July 13, 2018 at 01:01 PM (#5709507)
Why are you including the luxury tax amount in the PHI trade but not the BKN one?
didn't the PHI trade take DEN out of the luxury tax?

here's a fun one:
isaiah thomas career earnings (through age 29): 31MM
kosta koufos (through age 29): 46MM
jerryd bayless (through age 30): 48MM
cj miles (through age 32): 52MM
jr smith (through age 34): 102MM
marvin williams (through age 31): 124MM
gordon hayward in 2018 (6 MP): 29.7MM

3107. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: July 13, 2018 at 01:22 PM (#5709526)
3104: Agree, Spicey. Don't expect it, but it seems very possible.
   3108. Moses Taylor, aka Hambone Fakenameington Posted: July 13, 2018 at 01:25 PM (#5709527)

No

Albert Nahmad @AlbertNahmad 5h5 hours ago

Nuggets clearing Kenneth Faried and Darrell Arthur saves $44M ($21M salary + $23M tax), moving from $12.5M over tax to 16 players to $8.7M under to 14. They get trade exceptions of $13.8M and $5.9M (plus existing $12.8M), now have access to rest of NT-MLE ($5.8M) and BAE ($3.4M).

Also sure sounds like Philly actually wanted Chandler.
   3109. JJ1986 Posted: July 13, 2018 at 01:25 PM (#5709528)
Not even close. They were still more than $10 million over with Craig and Isaiah.
   3110. tshipman Posted: July 13, 2018 at 01:32 PM (#5709531)
I'm actually a bit higher on Parker than I used to be. His 3 point shooting is starting to move into legitimately good territory, he's improved his rebounding, and I think in the Boston series he did show some ability to be an ok defender.

I still think he can be a good small-ball 4, but you're definitely projecting a good amount if you bet on him.

I think this is where I'm at with Jabari. The 3p shooting shows a great trend. The defense really doesn't.

He's a bad defensive rebounder, a decent shooter, and a reasonable ball-mover. I think he might be successful in an environment where there's a lot of surplus rebounding and where he doesn't have to guard anyone good. Maybe OKC would be a good fit.

I'd be really concerned about placing him next to guys who have rebounding issues of their own.
   3111. maccoach57 Posted: July 13, 2018 at 02:44 PM (#5709565)
(Schroder is probably my all-time least favorite Hawk. Can't stand his game and don't like what I know about him as a person.)

Categorically disagree. It is as close as we can get to having a young Grace Jones in the NBA, and I am 100% behind that idea.
   3112. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: July 13, 2018 at 02:55 PM (#5709572)
The Bulls are rumored to be in on Parker. There is also a rumor that nobody wants him and nobody will give him a multi year deal.

So I'm sure he'll be signing a three year deal later this afternoon with Chicago.
   3113. maccoach57 Posted: July 13, 2018 at 03:13 PM (#5709582)
   3114. maccoach57 Posted: July 13, 2018 at 03:20 PM (#5709590)
And Lowe showing his shamrock boxer shorts a little:

The Lakers got LeBron because they are the Lakers. That's it. That is Lakers exceptionalism. They are banking on that same appeal in free agency next summer. It won't be enough on its own, and the Lakers know it. The foursome of Brandon Ingram, Kyle Kuzma, Josh Hart, and Ball provides hope for sustainability -- either as trade chips for Leonard, or long-term pieces.

I think it was more that James and his wife just want to live here, period, than it was "Lakers Exceptionalism" and I think that Lowe's earlier assessment, which was basically more "LeBron Exceptionalism", in that James firmly believes he and Magic will be able to get 1-2 other big-name guys here, was more on the mark.

That said, I mostly agree with Lowe's largely negative assessment of where the Lakers are, and have been, even with James signed for three years. Letting Randle walk pretty much boxes them in to needing to score big in FA next year, period. We will see if they can do it. I rec the piece highly for those who have not read it. Wide-ranging and more concise than Lowe has been lately.
   3115. PJ Martinez Posted: July 13, 2018 at 03:23 PM (#5709591)
And Lowe showing his shamrock boxer shorts a little
Eh, Lowe has more than earned the benefit of the doubt on such things, I think -- he's hardly Simmons. And LeBron could have engineered a move to the Clippers if he wanted to. Being a Laker was pretty clearly part of it, and part of Lakers exceptionalism (maybe the essential part?) is that the team is located in Los Angeles, and, unlike the Clippers, is associated with the glamor of the city.
   3116. puck Posted: July 13, 2018 at 03:28 PM (#5709594)
Denver is really happy if they can get anyone. So Isaiah.

However, it doesn't just seem weird on the defensive side, but also on offense, where Jokic and Murray had the ball a lot. Is that going to clash with Isaiah trying to re-establish himself?
   3117. jmurph Posted: July 13, 2018 at 03:31 PM (#5709596)
However, it doesn't just seem weird on the defensive side, but also on offense, where Jokic and Murray had the ball a lot. Is that going to clash with Isaiah trying to re-establish himself?

People seem to think he'll be coming off the bench, backing up Murray. But if he's healthy, running dribble hand offs with Jokic would be a lot of fun.
   3118. maccoach57 Posted: July 13, 2018 at 03:35 PM (#5709597)
and part of Lakers exceptionalism (maybe the essential part?) is that the team is located in Los Angeles, and, unlike the Clippers, is associated with the glamor of the city.

Well, sure, but that is largely because they have won 11 titles here with multiple stars over multiple eras, in large part because they have generally been run well at the top. Lowe didn't mention that part. He just complained about "exceptionalism." Lowe has his biases, like everybody else, and they tend to show up most when he talks about the Lakers and the Celtics, like when he called Boston "the envy of the league" at a moment when Golden State has put together what is arguably the best four-man roster core in NBA history.

That said, Lowe is correct to call out the weirdness/blundering/pivoting of the Lakers' FOs since The Veto.

Here is Lowe's last line, which summarizes things quite succinctly:

Winner: The Warriors
They got better. Houston got worse. LeBron awaits help. Have a good summer!
   3119. jmurph Posted: July 13, 2018 at 03:41 PM (#5709600)
but that is largely because they have won 11 titles here with multiple stars over multiple eras, in large part because they have generally been run well at the top

I think that's what the "because they are the Lakers" bit means.
   3120. maccoach57 Posted: July 13, 2018 at 03:43 PM (#5709602)
Think whatever you want. He didn't write that.
   3121. jmurph Posted: July 13, 2018 at 03:44 PM (#5709603)
What do you think it means?
   3122. PJ Martinez Posted: July 13, 2018 at 03:54 PM (#5709611)
Right, I've always assumed "Lakers exceptionalism" means "prestige that results from being the league's second-most successful franchise with its most glamorous fans in its most appealing city" (players like Miami, too, but I think more have homes in LA).
   3123. maccoach57 Posted: July 13, 2018 at 03:55 PM (#5709614)
As you noted earlier, getting James out of the conference and on to a team that is not ready to take out Golden State is actually a big short-term win for Boston fans...but from an emotional standpoint, James signing here is still the GOAT joining the hated Lakers at a moment when they haven't "earned it" and I think that Lowe's words reflect those feelings. A lot of Boston and Lakers fans tend to focus on whether Boston will get to 18 before the Lakers get to 17, and while Boston clearly has a strong leg up on that issue right now, James's actually being a Laker does throw it into doubt. So we will see. Boston will probably be in the Finals this year, unless Philadelphia or Toronto gets Leonard and Leonard is Leonard, and even then Boston will still have a good shot.
   3124. tshipman Posted: July 13, 2018 at 04:01 PM (#5709616)
Well, sure, but that is largely because they have won 11 titles here with multiple stars over multiple eras, in large part because they have generally been run well at the top. Lowe didn't mention that part. He just complained about "exceptionalism." Lowe has his biases, like everybody else, and they tend to show up most when he talks about the Lakers and the Celtics, like when he called Boston "the envy of the league" at a moment when Golden State has put together what is arguably the best four-man roster core in NBA history.

That said, Lowe is correct to call out the weirdness/blundering/pivoting of the Lakers' FOs since The Veto.

I don't think "Lakers Exceptionalism" is a complaint or a negative. It's literally among the biggest positives the franchise has in Lowe's description.

I also largely agree that it's why LeBron went to the Lakers. They're a first class franchise, and are regarded as such around the league. In Lowe's recent podcast, he talked about how Kobe's late career extension could quite possibly have led to LeBron signing with the Lakers.
   3125. tshipman Posted: July 13, 2018 at 04:04 PM (#5709620)
from an emotional standpoint, James signing here is still the GOAT joining the hated Lakers at a moment when they haven't "earned it" and I think that Lowe's words reflect those feelings.

Maybe this is a context thing ... Lowe has explicitly pushed back on that view, saying that it's ridiculous and patriarchal to say that teams have to "earn" players, when players have agency. He phrases it more that LeBron CHOSE the Lakers. In part, that was due to Lakers Exceptionalism--they align with LeBron's goals for his life, not just with basketball.
   3126. jmurph Posted: July 13, 2018 at 04:09 PM (#5709624)
Lowe has explicitly pushed back on that view

Yep, he and Howard Beck and Rachel Nichols got into that in their recent podcast.
   3127. maccoach57 Posted: July 13, 2018 at 04:14 PM (#5709627)
I also largely agree that it's why LeBron went to the Lakers. They're a first class franchise, and are regarded as such around the league. In Lowe's recent podcast, he talked about how Kobe's late career extension could quite possibly have led to LeBron signing with the Lakers

People in the fanbase defending the Jim Buss FO often used that argument as a defense of Bryant's deal--that it would help with future FAs. I never bought it then, and don't now, frankly, although James may say that in public. I think James is here because he wants to live here, and because he is 99% sure he, Pelinka, and Magic can recruit the help he will need in 2019. I doubt that Bryant's deal had much if anything to do with it.

As to the "exceptionalism" meme, as I have said, it didn't work with LaMarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony, Kevin Durant, or Paul George. James didn't even meet with the Lakers in 2014, other than, IIRC, a brief courtesy meeting when Kupchak flew to Cleveland. So Lowe trotting it out now...no sale.
   3128. JC in DC Posted: July 13, 2018 at 04:26 PM (#5709630)
I had the same reaction to Lowe's term as jmurph, tship, and PJ. I don't think it's a complaint or anything, but shorthand for the unique combination of assets the Lakers have built over time.
   3129. maccoach57 Posted: July 13, 2018 at 04:33 PM (#5709632)
I had the same reaction to Lowe's term as jmurph, tship, and PJ. I don't think it's a complaint or anything, but shorthand for the unique combination of assets the Lakers have built over time.

...which only worked in this era to get a player who is a unique figure in league history. If the Lakers had some gravitational pull, I think they would have been able to snag another guy lately. They couldn't, when they were saddled with Jim Buss and a broken Kobe Bryant on a max deal. Here is Lowe himself in 2016:

The 2016 article is here: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18325504/zach-lowe-los-angeles-lakers-dangelo-russell-luke-walton-nba

Lakers exceptionalism has flat-lined, anyway. Stars barely considered them over the past few summers. Beyond L.A., the pitch of, "Be the missing piece for our vaguely interesting .500-ish team of young guys!" hasn't appealed; stars shrugged and chose the Spurs and Warriors. The disastrous deals for Timofey Mozgov and Luol Deng will make it hard for the Lakers to fit even one max-level deal signed after 2017, and almost impossible to absorb two.

3130. tshipman Posted: July 13, 2018 at 04:41 PM (#5709637)
...which only worked in this era to get a player who is a unique figure in league history. If the Lakers had some gravitational pull, I think they would have been able to snag another guy lately. They couldn't, when they were saddled with Jim Buss and a broken Kobe Bryant on a max deal. Here is Lowe himself in 2016:

Well, rr, I think that saying Lakers exceptionalism doesn't work except on one of the greatest of all time is a little like, "other than that Mrs. Lincon, how was the play?"

The whole point of Lakers exceptionalism is to appeal to the greats. No one said it was infallible, but it certainly seemed to have played a role with LeBron.

Put another way: why do you think that LeBron chose the Lakers over the Clippers?
   3131. jmurph Posted: July 13, 2018 at 04:41 PM (#5709638)
He goes on to say this, in the very same article:
The Lakers should let this marinate. If the youngsters carry them toward .500 next season, they'll have something real to sell free agents again. Cap room will be down across the league once the new CBA kicks in; the days of 60- and 70-win teams hoarding max slots will be over until the next mega-spike in the salary cap -- if such an event ever happens. The factors that made L.A. special -- variables that made the Lakers with cap room a boogeyman every rival feared -- will rise in importance again.
   3132. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: July 13, 2018 at 04:56 PM (#5709649)
The Bulls have apparently offered Parker 3 years 57 million.

dsajflkadsjflkadsjfadslk;fjdask;ljfakl;sdjflk;asdjfk;las'
   3133. JJ1986 Posted: July 13, 2018 at 05:08 PM (#5709653)
I know that Celtics fans aren't allowed to talk about the Lakers, but Zach Lowe is not a Celtics fan presently.
   3134. there isn't anything to do in buffalo but 57i66135 Posted: July 13, 2018 at 05:11 PM (#5709654)
rich paul was interviewed during a summer league game and he essentially said that lebron chose LA because it was LA.

"it was about what he wanted to do and what made him happy."
"lebron james is already a global entity...[but] obviously when you're on that platform, it enhances it because everyone's there"

he also said "basketball decision" 3 or 4 times, but it was hard to hear because of how firmly his tongue was planted into his cheek.

there's no reason to pretend this was something it's not. lebron chose LA because of business and family interests.
Put another way: why do you think that LeBron chose the Lakers over the Clippers?

in order:
1: cap (and roster) flexibility
2: magic
3: "lakers exceptionalism"
4: the clippers roster imploded over the last 12 months, losing everyone who played 200+ minutes in 16/17 (other than wesley johnson), and they do not seem to have a plan for how to put it back together.

3135. there isn't anything to do in buffalo but 57i66135 Posted: July 13, 2018 at 05:12 PM (#5709655)

the rockets have also (reportedly) offered capela 5/85.
   3136. Moses Taylor, aka Hambone Fakenameington Posted: July 13, 2018 at 05:19 PM (#5709656)
As to the "exceptionalism" meme, as I have said, it didn't work with LaMarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony, Kevin Durant, or Paul George. James didn't even meet with the Lakers in 2014, other than, IIRC, a brief courtesy meeting when Kupchak flew to Cleveland. So Lowe trotting it out now...no sale.

So what's the exception here? The last 5 years or LeBron and the rest of the LA Lakers history?

I know that Celtics fans aren't allowed to talk about the Lakers, but Zach Lowe is not a Celtics fan presently.

Robin is the only person who sees the C's boogeyman in everything Lowe says. Lowe's a national guy, has been for some time. And he's the best at what he does. To everyone else, Lowe's background is irrelevant.
   3137. Moses Taylor, aka Hambone Fakenameington Posted: July 13, 2018 at 05:21 PM (#5709657)
All the guys playing in the league now from Chicago, and the only guys the Bulls get to come "home" are old ass broken DWade and one of Jabari Parker's knees.
   3138. Commissioner Bud Black Beltre Hillman Fred Posted: July 13, 2018 at 05:23 PM (#5709658)
Awwwwwwww rr getting defensive about Lowe's 'bias' (that only rr can see! because he's so objective like) has certainly brightened up my Friday afternoon. Don't ever change!
   3139. maccoach57 Posted: July 13, 2018 at 05:24 PM (#5709659)
Well, rr, I think that saying Lakers exceptionalism doesn't work except on one of the greatest of all time is a little like, "other than that Mrs. Lincon, how was the play?"

If it only works on LeBron James, then it is more of a LeBron James thing than a Lakers thing.

The Lakers should let this marinate. If the youngsters carry them toward .500 next season, they'll have something real to sell free agents again. Cap room will be down across the league once the new CBA kicks in; the days of 60- and 70-win teams hoarding max slots will be over until the next mega-spike in the salary cap -- if such an event ever happens. The factors that made L.A. special -- variables that made the Lakers with cap room a boogeyman every rival feared -- will rise in importance again.

Didn't affect Durant, who would not even meet with the Lakers, or George, who grew up here. We are now hearing that Leonard may not be into it. So, I think the boogeyman is more LeBron James with choices than the Lakers with cap space. Also, if you break down what Lowe is saying here, what he is saying is that it is conditional...that if all of these other things are in place, then maybe kinda sorta the brand helps a bit..fair enough.

As to the Clippers question, I would say it probably has to do with tradable young guys, Magic Johnson, and maybe a minor dose of celebrity fans. But, really, if James had picked the Clippers, then some of that LA glamor would have transferred over with him. The Lakers brand is strong and timeless--like that of the Dallas Cowboys, the New York Yankees, and I sure a couple of soccer teams and hockey teams that I don't know. But players want to win and they want their money. Those are almost always Points A and B. And fans want to root for winners. That is Points A through Z.

My view of NBA top-tier free agency has always been very simple: look at who the guy is, what his options will be, and what he probably wants. I was surprised that James wanted this, since the other times that he could pick his team, he went to spots where he was set up for immediate Finals runs and had personal connections. But he wanted it, obviously. I don't think that it means that the Lakers brand suddenly has re-ignited some dormant mystical gravitational pull. I think it means that James thinks that his gravitational pull, with a little help from the brand and the city, can have a Finals-level roster in place next year, and that he and his family wanted to live in LA. We will see.

3140. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: July 13, 2018 at 05:29 PM (#5709662)
so are you a mac coach, in what sport?
   3141. PASTE, Now with Extra Pitch and Extra Stamina Posted: July 13, 2018 at 05:35 PM (#5709664)

Is that juuuuuust enough that the Bucks can match if they clear the deck of everyone else they can? Or juuuuust enough that the Bucks can't match?
   3142. maccoach57 Posted: July 13, 2018 at 05:40 PM (#5709665)
So what's the exception here? The last 5 years or LeBron and the rest of the LA Lakers history?

One more time: the Lakers got one major guy in FA before James: Shaq. Kareem liked the city and wanted to be in LA or NY--born in NY, went to college in LA. The Lakers made the move on the deal in 1975, trading a center and some young guys. Gasol was traded here. West, Baylor, Johnson, and Bryant were drafted. Chamberlain was traded here because the Lakers had players to give up and Jack Kent Cooke was willing to give Wilt big money--a lot more than West and Baylor were getting--in a no-cap time.

I would say the common ground on James and O'Neal is the entertainment business piece, so yeah, if you get a guy who wants to be involved in show biz, and there are some plusses to the roster, and the guy likes the FO, then, yeah LA probably has a recruitment edge.

As to the snarky blowback on Lowe from you and the other guy, check my posts. I regularly link Lowe here, regularly praise him, and in fact praised the article I was quoting from and rec'd that people read it. But if my suggesting that a New England guy who got his start at CelticsHub might have a little bias here and there about the Celtics and Lakers is such a big deal because he is Zach Lowe, then I guess I won't do it anymore. Y'all are touchy when it comes to Lowe, it seems. Lowe is very good at what he does. And sure, I am touchy about the Lakers.
   3143. there isn't anything to do in buffalo but 57i66135 Posted: July 13, 2018 at 05:58 PM (#5709668)
One more time: the Lakers got one major guy in FA before James: Shaq. Kareem liked the city and wanted to be in LA or NY--born in NY, went to college in LA. The Lakers made the move on the deal in 1975, trading a center and some young guys. Gasol was traded here. West, Baylor, Johnson, and Bryant were drafted. Chamberlain was traded here because the Lakers had players to give up and Jack Kent Cooke was willing to give Wilt big money--a lot more than West and Baylor were getting--in a no-cap time.

how often has LAL been in the market for a big FA?

they were capped out through kobe's era, then when kobe retired, due to some combination of stupidity, panic and palace intrigue, lakers ownership blew their wad on deng and mozgov.
   3144. maccoach57 Posted: July 13, 2018 at 06:07 PM (#5709671)
how often has LAL been in the market for a big FA?

The Jim Buss FO openly recruited Aldridge and Anthony, and wanted meetings with James in 2014 and Durant in 2016. I think they also wanted a meeting with Horford and didn't get one. And of course Dwight Howard, at the time considered a desirable commodity, bailed on them after a meeting with them when his contract ran out. The Jim Buss FO took a lot of crap for supposedly doing a terrible job in the Aldridge meeting. A lot of people thought they would get Westbrook and/or George.

Lowe, BTW, sees George staying in OKC as a big win for OKC in spite of the cap situation and the Golden State factor. It is how he starts the article.
   3145. Moses Taylor, aka Hambone Fakenameington Posted: July 13, 2018 at 06:27 PM (#5709675)
K.C. Johnson @KCJHoop 27s28 seconds ago

Can confirm Bulls are on verge of signing Jabari Parker. As of now, Bulls don't know if Bucks are renouncing him or they'll need to sign him to offer sheet. Either way, it's close.

He's such a weird fit. Do they think he's a SF? I think best case scenario, the Bulls maybe sneak into the playoffs as a 7 or 8 seed, depending. Worst case, LaVine and Parker continue to be shells of their former selves (which weren't that great to start with), and the Bulls are exactly in the same boat as this past year...worst case isn't that bad I guess, it's just wasting money on an unintentional tank.

Having said that, they're at least betting on guys that are in their early to mid 20's for once. So there's still theoretically upside.

Mike McGraw @McGrawDHBulls 1m1 minute ago

This could essentially turn into a one-year experiment on whether Jabari can stay healthy and play SF if #Bulls front-load the offer.

Hmmm...
   3146. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: July 13, 2018 at 07:18 PM (#5709695)
I'll pile on wrt Lowe/Lakers...
Seems like LBJ picked LA for family/business and the Lakers over the Clippers for other reasons already mentioned...
   3147. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: July 13, 2018 at 07:27 PM (#5709698)
He's not a three. Not in anybody's wildest hopes is he a three. He's a four that isn't very stretchy and who has a) never been in good shape and b) has torn his ACL twice.

I'd be absolutely fine with this deal if it was a 1 year flier with an option (or even two years with an option for 3 at say 8 million per year) but in the context of signing Lavine and renouncing Nwaba IT'S ####### HORSE ####. Oh and the money being talked about is 3 years 57 million, to put a stinking turd on top of that.

It's obvious that management, whoever that is, (JR, Garpax) is aiming to get back to the 7th/8th seed ASAP. Gotta print those playoff tickets! Gotta keep the season ticket holders renewing!

Puke.
   3148. there isn't anything to do in buffalo but 57i66135 Posted: July 13, 2018 at 07:54 PM (#5709707)
The Jim Buss FO openly recruited Aldridge and Anthony, and wanted meetings with James in 2014 and Durant in 2016. I think they also wanted a meeting with Horford and didn't get one. And of course Dwight Howard, at the time considered a desirable commodity, bailed on them after a meeting with them when his contract ran out. The Jim Buss FO took a lot of crap for supposedly doing a terrible job in the Aldridge meeting. A lot of people thought they would get Westbrook and/or George.
a sampling of comments about jim buss, from previous NBA threads:
428. rr Posted: December 13, 2014 at 01:54 AM (#4861035)
1. Jim Buss has essentially pinned his future in his current role on the 2016 and 2017 FA markets. He has publicly announced that he will step down in 3-4 years unless the team is good again by then, and his sister has mentioned that timeline publicly as well. Jim has said, multiple times, and does again in this interview, that the Lakers will have "flexibility" and that is why everything is going to change. Bryant will be coming off the books in July 2016 and the cap will be bigger. So if Buss is not able to make really major gets those two summers/seasons, then he is probably done.
73. rr Posted: August 19, 2011 at 05:18 AM (#3903660)
Yeah, a lot of people in LakerLand are pissed off at Little Buss for the massive layoffs/cuts. I assume, though, that he would not have done it without the old man's approval.

Luke Walton, although now a punchline as a "player", is often talked about as being a great guy. I suspect that Walton's post-playing career may wind up being more noteworthy than his playing career. It is easy to see him as a coach, scout, FO guy, or TV guy.
3042. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: July 01, 2015 at 04:44 PM (#4990224)
Mike BresnahanVerified account
‏@Mike_Bresnahan
Aldridge was floored in a good way by Houston's analytics, on-court projections in their presentation. Not so with the Lakers.
Jim Buss has, IIRC, publicly shown distain for basketball analytics. Sigh. I'm not excited by Junior, but he's in the "son of" business, and that business is always good.
1466. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: December 20, 2011 at 01:35 AM (#4019718)
As to the Odom dump, it reeks of Jimmy Buss pulling a Nuke LaLoosh--announcing his presence with authority, as the K Bros like to say.
It's the beginning of the end.

My wife overheard me voicing my bitterness to my brother over dinner this weekend, and asked me, "Why do you want to waste money on the NBA cable thing if you're so angry at basketball you won't even watch the games you can see for free?" So instead of watching all the Sixers games this season I'll put the money towards a day on the slopes or something.

God, I'm so bitter.
What is the difference between STEAGLES and parody at this point?
914. rr Posted: February 20, 2012 at 02:12 PM (#4064846)
From a mod at a Lakers' blog re what I said a few days ago:
Lazenby has been going off on the rift between Jim Buss + Jerry Buss vs. Jeanie Buss + Phil Jackson for at least a year. Jerry has become relatively detached from the team, and has always favored his bumbling, ne’er-do-well son over his bright daughter. Both LA basketball franchises hired the less qualified but more slick (in the job interview) basketball coach instead of the actual best candidate, and it really shows late in games.
   3149. nick swisher hygiene Posted: July 13, 2018 at 08:29 PM (#5709716)
Look, presumably "Lakers Exceptionalism" works a lot like American exceptionalism: the claim is that the Lakers are a unique team, most favored by God.

In both cases, the idea is a real thing in the sense that it's out there in the discourse.

Thus, though I mostly agree with rr on this page, "gravitational pull" is the wrong metaphor.

Your belief in gravity has no effect upon the way it acts upon you.

But the reality of "Laker exceptionalism" is socially constructed.

Whether or not you buy the claim is up to you; and thus its influence is harder to predict.

3150. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: July 13, 2018 at 08:36 PM (#5709720)
George Niang signed a three year deal with the Jazz.
Honestly, I'd never really given him any thought to him until a few weeks ago when I looked at his G League numbers... he shot 57% from the field, 46% from three (a third of his shots), and 87% from the line whilst averaging 19.7/6.7/4.2 on 33.9 minutes as a slow footed combo forward. He doesn't bring much else to the table, but shooting and passing are a nice start. He's been pretty terrible in 125 minutes worth of coffee over two seasons (not hitting anything) but he's worth keeping around, especially if not much money is guaranteed.

Related note, from twitter:
"SLC Stars record by whether or not Georges Niang played:
When Niang played: 11-4
When he didn't play: 5-30"
(Niang split the year between two teams)

---
Kostas Antetokounmpo signed a 2-way with DAL (replacing Jalen Jones)
   3151. maccoach57 Posted: July 13, 2018 at 09:38 PM (#5709739)
Look, presumably "Lakers Exceptionalism" works a lot like American exceptionalism: the claim is that the Lakers are a unique team, most favored by God.

In both cases, the idea is a real thing in the sense that it's out there in the discourse.

Thus, though I mostly agree with rr on this page, "gravitational pull" is the wrong metaphor.

Your belief in gravity has no effect upon the way it acts upon you.

But the reality of "Laker exceptionalism" is socially constructed.

Whether or not you buy the claim is up to you; and thus its influence is harder to predict

--

Cool post, and a lot more intellectual than anything I have said.
   3152. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: July 13, 2018 at 10:00 PM (#5709743)
1466. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: December 20, 2011 at 01:35 AM (#4019718)

It's the beginning of the end.
I was right, wasn't I? The Jim Buss era was an utter disaster. That Magic and Pelinka have cleared out most of the damage and managed to get Lebron into the fold has been something of a miracle.

#1349 has it about right. Laker Exceptionalism, like just about all -isms, have to be believed to be seen.
   3153. Athletic Supporter is USDA certified lean Posted: July 13, 2018 at 10:43 PM (#5709751)
Jabari: I'm not right that often, but I will say a "called it" here.

My experience with most (old enough to remember the 80s at least) Celtics and Lakers fans is that they seem to overrate the other team actually, at least on the court, Simmons being a particularly prominent example. They both remember the halcyon days with these were the best two teams in the league and that colors their opinions on both teams towards positive.
   3154. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: July 13, 2018 at 11:09 PM (#5709760)
3//5m for Niang, yr 1 guaranteed is the rumor
   3155. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: July 14, 2018 at 12:30 AM (#5709777)
Yogi Ferrell now a UFA. He'd be a good pickup for somebody.
   3156. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: July 14, 2018 at 01:28 AM (#5709785)
@GeryWoelfel
"Jabari Parker's tenure with the Milwaukee Bucks is over: Parker has become an unrestricted free agent after the Bucks rescinded their qualifying offer. Parker is expected to sign a two-year deal for in excess of $40 million with the Chicago Bulls."
   3157. JC in DC Posted: July 14, 2018 at 02:40 AM (#5709791)
[3151] That's a bunch of nonsense.
   3158. stevegamer Posted: July 14, 2018 at 03:41 AM (#5709792)
I'd also include Kobe Bryant in the list of guys who "Lakers exceptionalism" or mystique, or whatever you want got to go there.

He was pretty clear that he wanted to play for just the Lakers, if I remember correctly. Yes, they traded for him, but it's no different than Eli Manning forcing his way to the NY Giants or guys forcing their way to not play for certain teams who were going to draft them ( John Elway, Tony Dorsett, etc.)
   3159. maccoach57 Posted: July 14, 2018 at 04:36 AM (#5709797)
He was pretty clear that he wanted to play for just the Lakers, if I remember correctly.

What exactly went down has been disputed for years. Bryant forcing his way onto the Lakers makes for a better narrative, though. In any case, sort of like the Golden State fans said about Cousins: 12 teams could have drafted Bryant, talked to him and his agent, etc.--and didn't.
   3160. maccoach57 Posted: July 14, 2018 at 05:22 AM (#5709798)
My experience with most (old enough to remember the 80s at least) Celtics and Lakers fans is that they seem to overrate the other team actually, at least on the court, Simmons being a particularly prominent example. They both remember the halcyon days with these were the best two teams in the league and that colors their opinions on both teams towards positive.

Yeah. Magic and Bird being buddies may be a factor there. Be that as it may, Boston is the favorite in the East now, and could win 62-65 if things break right. A couple of my IRL Lakers fans pals are in denial about that. And some people are already daydreaming about a LeBron/Kyrie Lakers/Celtics Finals in 2020.
   3161. . . . . . . Posted: July 14, 2018 at 09:25 AM (#5709827)
I'm completely on board the Mitchell Robinson train. If they did a redraft today I'm almost certain he'd be a lottery pick.
   3162. Moses Taylor, aka Hambone Fakenameington Posted: July 14, 2018 at 12:40 PM (#5709866)
2/$40mil for jabari, 2nd year is team option. It's pretty generous, and the fit is still curious to bad, but it's not a backbreaker.

Damning with faint praise.
   3163. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: July 14, 2018 at 12:41 PM (#5709867)
Agree, Moses
   3164. jmurph Posted: July 14, 2018 at 02:17 PM (#5709880)
I think the Parker deal is fine-ish. He's still young, obviously talented, there is presumably upside, etc. It's certainly better than the LaVine deal.
   3165. there isn't anything to do in buffalo but 57i66135 Posted: July 14, 2018 at 03:04 PM (#5709886)
dispatches from summer league, via kpelton:
One-year deals for Nemanja Bjelica ($5.3 million from the Philadelphia 76ers) and Tyreke Evans ($12.4 million from the Indiana Pacers) and a minimum contract for Nerlens Noel (one year plus a player option at the minimum salary from the Oklahoma City Thunder) got rave reviews. One scout called Bjelica a better version of Ersan Ilyasova, who agreed to a deal with approximately $14 million guaranteed from the Milwaukee Bucks after a strong finish to last season in Philadelphia.
Perhaps the strongest criticism was reserved for the Chicago Bulls matching the Sacramento Kings' four-year, $78 million offer sheet for guard Zach LaVine.

"I wish the Bulls were in the West," joked one employee of a Western Conference team.

As Adam Silver made waves by announcing at Tuesday's board of governors meetings in Las Vegas that the NBA is ready to make changes to its age limit, teams have been told privately by league officials not to expect that to actually happen prior to the 2022 NBA draft.

3166. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: July 14, 2018 at 03:14 PM (#5709889)
2/$40mil for jabari, 2nd year is team option. It's pretty generous, and the fit is still curious to bad, but it's not a backbreaker.

I'll give them credit for taking advantage of Milwaukee's stupidity. Seems like they shouldn't have renounced him, no matter what threats he was making about walking next year.

That said, I don't see a lot of upside here. At best he's solid and you have to pay him market rate going forward, which obviously crimps any FA plans. At worst he sucks but you lost a lot of opportunity cost to use your cap space to facilitate a trade for longer term assets (and/or dumping Felicio's bad deal).
   3167. PASTE, Now with Extra Pitch and Extra Stamina Posted: July 14, 2018 at 04:04 PM (#5709903)
I don’t think Milwaukee is going to miss Jabari much even if he’s healthy. They’re the worst rebounding team in the NBA and Jabari was part of the problem in that regard, and they have enough scoring. A much better rim protector/rebounder than Gibson is their most glaring need.

Is that a hot take?
   3168. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: July 14, 2018 at 04:14 PM (#5709906)
Is that a hot take?

No, it's not obvious that Parker is a useful starting player, in Chicago or otherwise.
   3169. there isn't anything to do in buffalo but 57i66135 Posted: July 14, 2018 at 04:38 PM (#5709916)

i'm not sure how good CHI will be offensively, but with lavine, parker, markkanen, valentine, zipser, they should at least be pretty terrible defensively.

3170. tshipman Posted: July 14, 2018 at 05:10 PM (#5709923)

I will actually go farther and say that I think it's outright a good deal.

If Jabari is as bad as we all think, it's just one year and they had the cap space. If he ends up being the guy from the Boston series, it's a good value contract for an extra year. This is the sort of stuff that teams should do.
   3171. SteveF Posted: July 14, 2018 at 05:13 PM (#5709925)
i'm not sure how good CHI will be offensively, but with lavine, parker, markkanen, valentine, zipser, they should at least be pretty terrible defensively.

This line made me laugh on multiple levels, the funniest being that it's arguably not even meant as a joke at all.
   3172. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: July 14, 2018 at 05:22 PM (#5709928)
I'll give them credit for taking advantage of Milwaukee's stupidity. Seems like they shouldn't have renounced him, no matter what threats he was making about walking next year.
Seconded. The Bucks just haven't spent money well — they're still going to be paying money to Larry Sanders and Spencer Hawes next year, and Henson, Delly, and Snell locked up for over $33 million for at least the next two seasons. It just doesn't look like they're going to be able to buy the talent they need to take another step forward. They should have matched. Nice move by the Bulls, for once.
   3173. JC in DC Posted: July 14, 2018 at 05:26 PM (#5709929)
Mitchell Robinson: So, in 5 games, he averaged 13ppg, 10rpg, 4bpg, and a stealpg. Good, active numbers. OTOH: it's summer league. Who knows if he can even get on the court during the season? But his performance showed things Knicks fans have only seen done to them recently, and not done by them. His wind improved over the 5 games. He's still so slight, and he's no shooter, yet, and seems a little spastic around the rim.
   3174. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: July 14, 2018 at 05:36 PM (#5709935)
Shabazz Napier to BKN, 2 yr, yr 2 is a team opt; unknown money
The Nets guard rotation is a mess but an interesting mess with Bazz, Russell, Dinwiddie, and Harris. Napier should be a good fit as he defends small points well, can play off the ball as a spacer, and can allow others to do the same.
   3175. Commissioner Bud Black Beltre Hillman Fred Posted: July 14, 2018 at 06:00 PM (#5709937)
George Niang signed a three year deal with the Jazz.
Honestly, I'd never really given him any thought to him until a few weeks ago when I looked at his G League numbers... he shot 57% from the field, 46% from three (a third of his shots), and 87% from the line whilst averaging 19.7/6.7/4.2 on 33.9 minutes as a slow footed combo forward. He doesn't bring much else to the table, but shooting and passing are a nice start. He's been pretty terrible in 125 minutes worth of coffee over two seasons (not hitting anything) but he's worth keeping around, especially if not much money is guaranteed.
I ran into Niang outside the Four Seasons in SF last year while on my way to Tropisueno for a burrito, and as it happened he happened to ask me where to get a burrito. It was kinda awkward cos he was clearly an NBA player (enormous dude in full pacers training wear, four seasons is a standard team hotel) but at the time I had no idea who exactly he was.
   3176. there isn't anything to do in buffalo but 57i66135 Posted: July 14, 2018 at 06:30 PM (#5709947)
Mitchell Robinson: So, in 5 games, he averaged 13ppg, 10rpg, 4bpg, and a stealpg. Good, active numbers. OTOH: it's summer league. Who knows if he can even get on the court during the season? But his performance showed things Knicks fans have only seen done to them recently, and not done by them. His wind improved over the 5 games. He's still so slight, and he's no shooter, yet, and seems a little spastic around the rim.

the knicks hit that one out of the ####### park. guys who are that young, that big, that athletic and that coordinated should not be left on the board at 35.

i'm not sure robinson has enough creation ability to be a top 20 player, but he's pretty close to a lock to give you 20 MPG of high level production, once he gets up to speed.
Shabazz Napier to BKN, 2 yr, yr 2 is a team opt; unknown money
The Nets guard rotation is a mess but an interesting mess with Bazz, Russell, Dinwiddie, and Harris. Napier should be a good fit as he defends small points well, can play off the ball as a spacer, and can allow others to do the same.
i expect dinwiddie will get traded before the deadline. maybe dangelo, too.

what catches my eye about BRK is that they're stockpiling euro stretch forwards. they drafted alexander vezenkov last year; they took rodions kurics and dzanan musa this year; each of them is a 6'9"+ sharpshooter. they also have jp valuet, and now isaia cordinier, stashed as potential wing shooters.
This line made me laugh on multiple levels, the funniest being that it's arguably not even meant as a joke at all.
i assure you, it was.
   3177. TFTIO's onanism is a process Posted: July 14, 2018 at 06:34 PM (#5709949)
I ran into Niang outside the Four Seasons in SF last year while on my way to Tropisueno for a burrito, and as it happened he happened to ask me where to get a burrito

AND? Farolito? Pancho Villa? Cancun?
   3178. maccoach57 Posted: July 14, 2018 at 06:36 PM (#5709951)
Milwaukee made a nice move signing Brook Lopez. I think it was noteworthy that the team with the closest thing to James on their roster wanted Lopez, while LeMaginka preferred JaVale McGee. I am very skeptical. Here is The Ringer staff on FA:

link

And yes, they are all biased against the Lakers.
   3179. there isn't anything to do in buffalo but 57i66135 Posted: July 14, 2018 at 06:45 PM (#5709953)
Here is The Ringer staff on FA:

link
good stuff.
The Wizards acquired Dwight Howard, Jeff Green, and Austin Rivers this offseason, which, I mean … gulp. But maybe it’s not so bad.
“We need—and I mentioned this to our team after [head coach] Fred [Hoiberg] spoke to them last night—Zach LaVine to be a better basketball player,” Bulls executive VP John Paxson told reporters at the end of last season.
As it stands, Houston will enter the 2018-19 season with Gerald Green, P.J. Tucker, and James Ennis as its most reliable wing options; good luck slowing Kevin Durant with that motley crew.

3180. Commissioner Bud Black Beltre Hillman Fred Posted: July 14, 2018 at 07:27 PM (#5709964)
AND? Farolito? Pancho Villa? Cancun
Tropisueno! It's just around the corner, on the pedestrian bit towards Yerba Buena; kinda high-end for dinner but they do burritos during lunch hours. Great salsa bar.
   3181. Quaker Posted: July 14, 2018 at 08:53 PM (#5709987)
I don’t think Milwaukee is going to miss Jabari much even if he’s healthy. They’re the worst rebounding team in the NBA and Jabari was part of the problem in that regard, and they have enough scoring. A much better rim protector/rebounder than Gibson is their most glaring need.

Who is Gibson?
   3182. NJ in NY (Now with Toddler!) Posted: July 14, 2018 at 08:55 PM (#5709989)
Here is The Ringer staff on FA:

I think their NBA analysis is, on the whole, awful.
   3183. tshipman Posted: July 14, 2018 at 09:26 PM (#5710000)
Tropisueno! It's just around the corner, on the pedestrian bit towards Yerba Buena; kinda high-end for dinner but they do burritos during lunch hours. Great salsa bar.

Tropisueno is above average, but takes forever and is overpriced.

Admittedly, not a ton of great burritos on Market st. It's now slightly cliche to recommend, but La Taqueria is probably the best burrito in SF.

Pancho Villa is just okay. Farolito is the best "San Francisco" burrito, since La Taqueria is its own animal. Also like El Castillito.

Edit:
I think [The Ringer's] NBA analysis is, on the whole, awful.

Agree in general, but I like Tjarks.
   3184. TFTIO's onanism is a process Posted: July 14, 2018 at 09:29 PM (#5710001)
I am a strong proponent of Farolito and Cancun. I miss living in the Mission (23rd and Bartlett). I always went for the lengua tacos at La Taqueria, and I don’t believe that I ever had their burrito. Perhaps next time I’m in town I’ll finally try it out.
   3185. Tin Angel Posted: July 14, 2018 at 09:36 PM (#5710002)
I am a strong proponent of Farolito and Cancun. I miss living in the Mission (23rd and Bartlett).

I've been at 20th and Lexington for over 10 years now. Taqueria Cancun has long been my go to but it's been closed for two months now for "earthquake retrofitting." Starting to worry it's never going to re-open.
   3186. TFTIO's onanism is a process Posted: July 14, 2018 at 09:43 PM (#5710003)
The only downside to Cancun are their decidedly suboptimal chips.
   3187. Commissioner Bud Black Beltre Hillman Fred Posted: July 14, 2018 at 10:01 PM (#5710010)
tship, the key for Tropisueno is going a bit early or late, and avoiding convention days; otherwise yeah it can take too long. Gotta factor free (really good) chips and great salsa into the price.

But yeah there aren't many options down there. I really like Uno Dos' carne asada (no rice in their burritos FYI), and the taco truck at Sansome & Bush-ish is worth a shout, but not much else that hasn't been mentioned. There's sometimes a truck on Mont near post with good al pastor, but only occasionally.

Also agreed on Cancun's chips; similar issue with the east Lake Merritt taco truck.
   3188. Commissioner Bud Black Beltre Hillman Fred Posted: July 14, 2018 at 10:10 PM (#5710015)
For la taq, gotta ask for dorado style (burrito or taco).
   3189. Athletic Supporter is USDA certified lean Posted: July 14, 2018 at 10:54 PM (#5710032)
La Taqueria really is the best. I wish it weren't so because I can't stand agreeing with Nate Silver's smarmy mouth, but it is. Gotta time it to not wait an hour, but between 2 and 4 pm, or right when they open at 11, and you can get through pretty unscathed. When I was on parental leave taking care of baby by myself, I would walk over and get in line at 10:55 pretty much every day.
   3190. tshipman Posted: July 14, 2018 at 10:58 PM (#5710034)
tship, the key for Tropisueno is going a bit early or late, and avoiding convention days; otherwise yeah it can take too long. Gotta factor free (really good) chips and great salsa into the price.

Will agree here. Tropisueno has great chips, which are often neglected or overlooked. I have no idea why this is the case. There are a million burritos in the city, and I think 900K of them have terrible chips.

the taco truck at Sansome & Bush-ish is worth a shout

Are you talking about Garibaldi? I like them a lot. One of the best taco trucks. I'd rate them on par with Farolito, although no chips.
   3191. Moses Taylor, aka Hambone Fakenameington Posted: July 14, 2018 at 11:13 PM (#5710036)

Zipser is probably gone, and overall you're right, but markkanen doesn't belong in that group. He was better on defense last year than I thought he'd ever be, so I think he'll be fine there.
   3192. Commissioner Bud Black Beltre Hillman Fred Posted: July 14, 2018 at 11:24 PM (#5710047)
Are you talking about Garibaldi? I like them a lot. One of the best taco trucks. I'd rate them on par with Farolito, although no chips.
I *think* Garibaldi is the one I mentioned that's occasionally over on Montgomery/Post, outside WF (black truck?); I wish it were around more frequently. The Sansome/Bush one is San Bueno (white truck), and I've never actually done a burrito there, just a lot of tacos.
   3193. tshipman Posted: July 14, 2018 at 11:40 PM (#5710056)
I *think* Garibaldi is the one I mentioned that's occasionally over on Montgomery/Post, outside WF (black truck?); I wish it were around more frequently. The Sansome/Bush one is San Bueno (white truck), and I've never actually done a burrito there, just a lot of tacos.

Yeah, Garibaldi is the black truck. It is super hard to predict when they're going to be there.

Haven't been to the one at Sansome/Bush. Have to check it out.
   3194. CFBF Rides The Zombie Ice Dragon Posted: July 15, 2018 at 02:23 PM (#5710275)
   3195. jmurph Posted: July 15, 2018 at 02:27 PM (#5710278)
Oh I meant to weigh in on that when it came up last time: I've come around on Windhorst. I made fun of him here forever about being a mouthpiece for LeBron, and that stuff is still a little odd, to be honest, but I mostly think he's fine now.
   3196. maccoach57 Posted: July 15, 2018 at 03:17 PM (#5710297)
I think [The Ringer's] NBA analysis is, on the whole, awful.

It is a Simmons operation, so it has that people-sitting-around-bullshitting vibe. But I think there is a place for that as long as it is relatively intelligent bullshitting (which is a lot of what we do here, IMO). YMMV.

Oh I meant to weigh in on that when it came up last time: I've come around on Windhorst. I made fun of him here forever about being a mouthpiece for LeBron, and that stuff is still a little odd, to be honest, but I mostly think he's fine now.

IIRC, some of the shade thrown at Windhorst here was centered on him acting like a dick more than being a James mouthpiece, although he has taken some crap for the latter. I assume that Windhorst and McMenamin will be moved back to LA to report on The King and his Courts.
   3197. maccoach57 Posted: July 15, 2018 at 03:18 PM (#5710298)
Fresh off signing a $154 million free-agent contract with the Los Angeles Lakers, LeBron James seems to be adapting to his environment quite nicely, especially the film industry in nearby Hollywood.

James and writer Steve Mallory have sold their idea for a new comedy film to Paramount Players, with James in early talks for a potential starring role, a person with knowledge of the situation confirmed to USA TODAY

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2018/07/11/report-lebron-james-comedy-film-starring-role/777254002/

3198. there isn't anything to do in buffalo but 57i66135 Posted: July 15, 2018 at 03:31 PM (#5710300)
[When LeBron James played his first high school basketball game, back in 1999, Brian Windhorst was there covering it.]
[At the time, Windhorst was in his early 20s and already had been working for the Akron Beacon Journal for years. Like James, Windhorst had attended St. Vincent–St. Mary High School]
knowing that windhorst started following lebron around under these circumstances is a bit of a relief. it's a lot less creepy than it could have been.
[the business is such now that Windhorst sometimes has to pretend on television that he knows less than he really does.]
I told my boss at ESPN a couple days earlier, “He’s going to LA,” and naturally they’re like, “Well, can we get it on the air?” And I’m like, “We can’t.”
they’re trying to do what their job is, which is to really break down and be an analyst. But then I’m kind of cool with saying: I don’t know what the hell they’re doing.
as far as talking to [lebron], getting unique information, it’s not that often. I talk way more to his agent and other people in his world than I do to him
[lebron] and I had never lived outside Ohio before, and it was completely different
...he talked about not being happy down there the first year. I was miserable.
...I haven’t lived where LeBron’s lived for six years.
[Where do you live now?]
I live in Omaha, Nebraska...very few people in Omaha care about the NBA
   3199. there isn't anything to do in buffalo but 57i66135 Posted: July 15, 2018 at 04:18 PM (#5710306)
my personal take on windhorst:
he isn't a journalist (anymore) or an analyst (ever), he's a commentator. he's trying to parlay his geekery into a post-lebron paycheck, but his value in that role is pretty negligible.

he has a real and unique connection to lebron/lebron's people, but they don't use him as a mouthpiece in the way that boras uses hayman or agents/teams use woj. that may not always have been true, but that's where they are now.

i wouldn't be shocked if he's the branch manager at some bank or car dealership in ohio within 5-10 years.
   3200. PASTE, Now with Extra Pitch and Extra Stamina Posted: July 15, 2018 at 05:10 PM (#5710314)
Flip
Page 32 of 39 pages ‹ First  < 30 31 32 33 34 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Traderdave
for his generous support.