Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, August 03, 2017

OT - August/September 2017 College Football thread

In the first week of August a sports information director’s fancy lightly turns to thoughts of polls.

Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: August 03, 2017 at 01:05 PM | 199 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: college football, off-topic

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 > 
   1. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: August 03, 2017 at 02:25 PM (#5505960)
USA Today blabbity blah:
 Rk Team (1st)           Pts
 1 Alabama (49)         1603
 2 Ohio State (5)       1512
 3 Florida State (4)    1434
 4 USC                  1415
 5 Clemson (7)          1367
 6 Penn State           1257
 7 Washington           1245
 8 Oklahoma             1237
 9 Michigan              959
10 Wisconsin             936
11 Oklahoma State        912
12 LSU                   834
13 Auburn                819
14 Stanford              732
15 Georgia               701
16 Florida               681
17 Louisville            676
18 Miami (FL)            472
19 Kansas State          339
20 West Virginia         319
21 South Florida         247
21 Virginia Tech         235
23 Texas                 193
24 Tennessee             155
25 Utah                  109

26 Washington State       99
27 Colorado               72
28 TCU                    58
29 Boise State            49
   Notre Dame             49
31 Texas A&M              46
32 Pittsburgh             45
33 NC State               39
34 Oregon                 37
35 Northwestern           25
36 Nebraska               23
37 Memphis                22
   Arkansas               22
39 Mississippi State      19
40 San Diego State        18
41 Appalachian State      11
42 BYU                    10
   Georgia Tech           10
   Tulsa                  10
45 Wyoming                 9
46 Western Michigan        8
   Temple                  8
   North Carolina          8
49 Houston                 7
50 Troy                    6
   Minnesota               6
52 Iowa                    5
53 Louisiana Tech          4
54 Syracuse                3
55 Arizona                 2
56 Army                    1
   Colorado State          1
   Michigan State          1
   Maryland                1
   Toledo                  1
   UCLA                    1
   2. OsunaSakata Posted: August 03, 2017 at 03:05 PM (#5505999)
Why do more than 40,000 people show up for a spring football game - for an exhibition game? Heck, you can't even tackle the quarterback. There must be a market for spring professional football in those football-mad states. Have a team for each state made up of former players from that state's schools. The best ones still have some marquee value, even if they didn't make the NFL. Put a team in Birmingham made up of former U. Alabama and Auburn players, a team in Orlando out of former, FSU, Florida and Miami players, etc. If they're that hungry for football, there must be something better to feed them than a glorified practice.
   3. Cowboy Popup Posted: August 03, 2017 at 03:48 PM (#5506026)
Why do more than 40,000 people show up for a spring football game - for an exhibition game?

I don't know but if I had to guess, it's a long offseason and a really good reason to get drunk?

It's a pretty good list, for something that is a collection of wild guesses. My biggest issues are UGA and UT. UGA is particularly hard to justify since Kirby Smart demonstrated that he is very capable of losing to teams that are a significant disadvantage when it comes to talent on the field. The man has simply not earned the benefit of the doubt no matter how well he has recruited. But even so, I can't get outraged about these things the way I used. Sigh. So old.

I like that Charlie Strong's new team is ranked ahead of his old team, which fired him. It's just a weird sort of thing that could probably only happen in this sport.
   4. 2 dudes are better than STIGGLES; i'm both of em Posted: August 03, 2017 at 04:14 PM (#5506042)
didn't michigan graduate 27 starters after finishing last year on a 3 game losing streak? how does that team get ranked in the top 10?

5. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: August 03, 2017 at 04:25 PM (#5506055)
Pitt was 31st in the year-end AP Poll, we lost our offensive coordinator to LSU in what has been hailed as a brilliant move by LSU, and we have only dropped to 32nd?
   6. dlf Posted: August 03, 2017 at 05:11 PM (#5506093)
My biggest issues are UGA and UT.

Which UT?

UGA is particularly hard to justify since Kirby Smart demonstrated that he is very capable of losing to teams that are a significant disadvantage when it comes to talent on the field. The man has simply not earned the benefit of the doubt no matter how well he has recruited. But even so, I can't get outraged about these things the way I used. Sigh. So old.

How many coaches start off at a name program in a power conference without head coaching experience elsewhere and succeed? It was pretty clear that Kirby was holding out either for his alma matter to come calling or for Saban to retire, but he may have been better served by taking the head position at something like Troy or at least a historically second tier team before trying to go head to head with the SEC big boys. Fans in Athens ran off Richt for winning ~10 games a year; they won't have patience for Smart doing any less while he learns.
   7. Cowboy Popup Posted: August 03, 2017 at 05:18 PM (#5506101)
Pitt was 31st in the year-end AP Poll, we lost our offensive coordinator to LSU in what has been hailed as a brilliant move by LSU, and we have only dropped to 32nd?

People love Pat Narduzzi. I share you skepticism. You didn't just lose Canada, you lost your QB, Connor and that pass rusher who rocked the really short shorts. That's a lot of star power to replace. I wonder if you keep that nifty TE jet sweep shuffle pass that you guys beat Clemson with. That was a sick, sick play.

Which UT?

Texas. Tennessee, despite being coached by a guy who I think has never won a game where he was an underdog, has at least won 9 games for a couple of years.

How many coaches start off at a name program in a power conference without head coaching experience elsewhere and succeed?

Not a lot. Stoops comes to mind but he was hired a crazy long time ago. More recently, Clay Helton did alright in his first full year. Dabo, if you think of Clemson as a name program. I'm sure I'm forgetting someone but it's probably not a long list.
   8. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: August 03, 2017 at 05:19 PM (#5506103)
I can only speak for how Nebraska handles the spring game, but they have long made it a 'weekend' event in Lincoln. They bring back old legends, and make it a very fan focused weekend on campus, and couple it with lots of kid's events, meeting players, etc. Additionally, they overlap a state High School coaches event during the weekend, and jazz it up for maximum buzz for as many high school recruits as they can. It's actually a fun time, though I readily admit it is mostly dreadful to watch spring football practice and the spring game itself.

If Nebraska only drew 40,000 for the spring game somebody would get fired. By the way, unlike most places where it is free, they actually charge $10 for the spring game. Not every program can do this, either because they don't have fan intensity like this, and/or where it is the only 'major' team in the state.
   9. Styles P. Deadball Posted: August 03, 2017 at 05:30 PM (#5506112)
Why do more than 40,000 people show up for a spring football game - for an exhibition game? Heck, you can't even tackle the quarterback.

It's an opportunity to get together and tailgate and look forward to football season, especially for people who can't normally get to the games in the fall. While people certainly are paying attention and trying to figure out which backup QB is headed for greatness, etc, most people are there for the social aspect after a long winter.
   10. madvillain Posted: August 03, 2017 at 05:37 PM (#5506115)
didn't michigan graduate 27 starters after finishing last year on a 3 game losing streak? how does that team get ranked in the top 10?

Because the kids that left are being replaced with higher rated recruits (some of the highest rated in the country, just a tick below Bama and OSU) now in their 3rd year of JBC and their 2nd year of Don Brown. Because they now have an experienced, solid vet QB trying to fend off the 5 star RS Frosh instead of a massive question mark?

Because the three losses were incredibly close affairs to excellent teams that could have went the other way with a more friendly whistle or a little better QB play?

This is not Brady Hoke and RR's Michigan anymore. For that matter, it's not Lloyd Carr's country club either. Harbaugh has these guys working, and the recruiting has been off the charts good since Harbaugh got on campus. Michigan is going to be young, but they are extremely talented.
   11. dlf Posted: August 03, 2017 at 05:38 PM (#5506116)
Not a lot. Stoops comes to mind but he was hired a crazy long time ago. More recently, Clay Helton did alright in his first full year. Dabo, if you think of Clemson as a name program. I'm sure I'm forgetting someone but it's probably not a long list.

Dabo is probably a pretty good comp. Clemson is, historically second tier behind FSU and Miami in the conference. (Noting that Miami's history wasn't in the ACC.) Georgia probably is lumped together with Auburn, LSU and Tennessee behind Alabama and Florida. Obviously both Swinney and Smart were Alabama coaches, although Kirby had a more impressive resume. I'd argue that the fan base of the SEC schools is a little more passionate about football, but the sticks of South Carolina isn't much different than those of Georgia. And Dabo was in his 4th season when he first had a double digit win season. Will UGA tolerate that from Smart?

I'm an Alabama fan. Seeing them at the top of the rankings feels off to me.

First, I have a hard time seeing Hurts have as good a season as he did as a true freshman; his accuracy isn't a strength, he never was able to make a second read, and with he and Scarbrough in the backfield, other teams will have 8 men in the box. And its been some years since they had the people movers up front. If he can read defenses *at all* Calvin Ridley will have a great year, but I'm not sold yet.

Second, there is a lot of defensive talent lost. Between Allen, Williams, and Anderson, that is a lot of ability to get to the QB that is now playing on Sunday. Under Saban, there has always been a lot of depth within seasons, leading to continued success year to year while folks go on to the NFL, but I'm not sure that this particular bunch will have the same sack presence leading to more pressure on Minkah and the rest of the DBs.

Yeah, I know ... first world problems.
   12. Pasta-diving Jeter (jmac66) Posted: August 03, 2017 at 05:58 PM (#5506123)
Dabo is probably a pretty good comp

it took Dabo several years to be successful
4-3
9-5
6-7 in his first 3 years
   13. TDF, FCL Posted: August 03, 2017 at 07:01 PM (#5506152)
Harbaugh has these guys working, and the recruiting has been off the charts good since Harbaugh got on campus.
Be careful of the oversell here.

Rodriguez was named head coach after Carr retired in '07. His classes* were ranked 11 (in '08), 10, and 17. Hoke was hired in January '11; his classes were 30, 6, 4, and 20. Harbaugh was hired in December '14; his classes have been 37, 8, and 4 (the current freshman class).

*By the 247sports.com composite ranking.
   14. Covfefe Posted: August 03, 2017 at 07:11 PM (#5506164)
Wisky is the team to beat in the B1G West -- but I like the Cats' chances.

The offense ought to be really damn good - Austin Carr's graduation will hurt - but ironically, they picked another PAC-10 WR transfer that was formerly a highly recruited blue chipper but never caught fire in Jalen Brown. With both Clayton Thorson and Justin Jackson back, they ought to be pretty decent. The O Line has been inconsistent and extremely hot-cold for a few years now, but I think they're at least returning more pure/total starts than they have in a while and it's high time for Blake Hance to quit taking weekends off.

The defense returns a veteran squad - if only Anthony Walker had stuck around :-( - particularly, getting some injured secondary guys back.

I think they've got to travel to both Lincoln and Camp Randall - but miss both Michigan and OSU cross-division. As always, I'm sure they'll doubtless blow a pre-conference WTF State - but at least before anything gets going, they're probably better positioned to snag the division than they've ever been since the split.

Should they manage the upset against the Badgers (and not blow up when they shouldn't thereafter), they'd get their asses handed to them to them in the title game by whoever comes out of the east, I'm sure, but it's important to set achievable, meaningful goals :-).
   15. TDF, FCL Posted: August 03, 2017 at 07:17 PM (#5506166)
This is freaking hilarious:
But what has the Big Ten done to deserve four spots in the preseason top-10 besides giving Ohio State a free pass for underachieving the last two years... Since winning the 2014 national title, Ohio State hasn’t won a Big Ten championship and has finished the season ranked lower than it started both years.
By that reasoning, Alabama is getting a free pass for underachieving, as they've finished the season ranked lower than it started 3 of the past 4 seasons.
   16. madvillain Posted: August 03, 2017 at 07:25 PM (#5506171)
Be careful of the oversell here.

Rodriguez was named head coach after Carr retired in '07. His classes* were ranked 11 (in '08), 10, and 17. Hoke was hired in January '11; his classes were 30, 6, 4, and 20. Harbaugh was hired in December '14; his classes have been 37, 8, and 4 (the current freshman class).

*By the 247sports.com composite ranking.

Not sure if you're a Michigan fan but it's really not worth going into the Rich Rod era rankings given the massive attrition that RR's classes experienced. Hoke's classes also experienced quite a bit of attrition and he recruited strictly (seemingly) off the 247 composite rankings, taking guys (Derrick Green, cough) that were massively over rated by the services in some cases.
Harbaugh only had a few months to salvage his first class and Michigan was coming off its worst stretch in history.

Harbaugh has pulled more guys out of the south and Cali that I thought Michigan (just as a long time crazed fan) would have no ####### shot at than Hoke and RR combined. Names like Aubrey Solomon, Eddie Mcdoom, David Long, Kekoa Crawford, Nico Collins and Cezar Ruiz.

Michigan is going to be good. They have a tough schedule and might, again, be breaking in an inexpereienced QB if Peters wins the job in camp -- but the way Harbaugh has turned the program around is amazing. The national media guys might be looking at 1-3 verse MSU and OSU and a couple mediocre finishes and wondering "where's the beef" -- but this was a program in tatters.

Frankly, if Harbaugh isn't fired I'm afraid Michigan was never going to be anything close to a national power again. Things were that bleak coaching tree, program, and recruiting wise. That he had them a whisker away from the playoff in his 2nd year has Michigan fans (rightfully) salivating at what he can do when he gets all his guys in.
   17. I am going to be Frank Posted: August 03, 2017 at 10:40 PM (#5506318)
I'm a Michigan fan - I'm a little worried. Harbaugh has gotten very good recruits and is very good at player development. However, they lost 9 out of 11 starters on defense. The guys coming in should be pretty good but that is a lot to replace. The QB could be a lot better with Speight hopefully improving or one of the guys Harbauigh recruited supplanting him. However, they lost their top two WR and an all-American TE. Plus they are also replacing 3/5 of the offensive line. Sure the guys that left weren't very good but none of the guys behind them weren't exactly ready to supplant them last year.

Harbaugh gives me a lot more confidence than any other coach except Saban an Meyer. There is just too much uncertainty for me to be a top 10 team right now.
   18. Cowboy Popup Posted: August 03, 2017 at 11:10 PM (#5506327)
I'm a little drunk and tired so I'm gonna get the name wrong and overstate my point but...

Michigan, on top of having OG HC Harbaugh, has Don ####### Brown, who turned a bunch of undersized, barely recruited dudes at BC into one of the most fearsome defenses in the country. Give that dude Rashan Gary and the defensive side of two top ten refruiting classes and you've got nothing to worry about. Maybe punk ass Penn State or Kevin Wilson's offense at O$U puts up some points, but otherwise I don't see any legit cause for concern. UF maybe but that doesn't seem likely given how they've been.

Oh, and maybe ####### Iowa for some reason. If they're even on the schedule. Such a weird experience to see the d-line that NDSU ran all over whoop UM up front.
   19. 2 dudes are better than STIGGLES; i'm both of em Posted: August 03, 2017 at 11:39 PM (#5506336)
Oh, and maybe ####### Iowa for some reason. If they're even on the schedule. Such a weird experience to see the d-line that NDSU ran all over whoop UM up front.
the role of iowa will, this year, be played by wisconsin. also, very possibly indiana.

is it worth mentioning that harbaugh has never won his conference, or even his division, as head coach? and he bolted from stanford after his only good season there.

can we all agree that it's ridiculous for clemson to get 7 first place votes after losing their starting QB?

can we also agree that 9 game conference schedules are terrible?
   20. PeteF3 Posted: August 03, 2017 at 11:56 PM (#5506340)
Why do more than 40,000 people show up for a spring football game - for an exhibition game?

Admission is either free or extremely cheap. For some fans, it's their only opportunity to actually see the stadium live in game-like conditions and see something resembling football being played.
   21. Cowboy Popup Posted: August 04, 2017 at 12:00 AM (#5506343)
the role of iowa will, this year, be played by wisconsin. also, very possibly indiana. 

Oh, they got the Badgers? That's a potential L. That was also a heckuva game last year and the Badgers return a lot.

is it worth mentioning that harbaugh has never won his conference, or even his division, as head coach? and he bolted from stanford after his only good season there.

I think it's required by law that someone mention it every time his name comes up. Still a damn good coach.

Also, yeah, probably but shoulder shrug.

And I still think it's better than 8 conference games and three pasties, which is what used to happen with most teams. I love the Big 12 round robin. Other conferences are stupid. I meam, the Big 12 is too, but not because of its schedule.
   22. Meatwad Posted: August 04, 2017 at 12:00 AM (#5506344)
Go Irish! Beat Famine!
   23. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: August 04, 2017 at 10:10 AM (#5506434)
Let's go Scarlet Knights. Shock the world against Washington!!!!!!
   24. Howie Menckel Posted: August 04, 2017 at 11:25 AM (#5506512)
two things that would not exist in August if I were king:

- football games that count, at any level
- school, at any level

#letAugustbeAugust

(I was only scheduled for school in August once - an Aug. 31, first day of class in one of my college years. I skipped it.)
   25. 2 dudes are better than STIGGLES; i'm both of em Posted: August 04, 2017 at 12:53 PM (#5506556)
i think the thing i hate most about college football is how i don't trust anything i saw last year. i mostly follow penn state, and right now, i don't trust the secondary (2/4 starters from last year are gone), the linebackers (depth and experience are issues), the pass rush (both starting DEs are gone), the OL (should be really good, but i'm emotionally scarred from the last 5 years), the WRs (the old guys are mediocre and the young ones lack experience), or the QB (he was too good last year, so he's gotta regress, right?). or the special teams (one kicker can't be trusted over 40 yards, another kicker has no idea where the ball is going, and the other kicker is fighting an eating disorder and left the team after attempting suicide (but he's still awesome)).

wow, never go full goth.

26. TDF, FCL Posted: August 04, 2017 at 01:29 PM (#5506578)
two things that would not exist in August if I were king:

- football games that count, at any level
- school, at any level
I hated school in June more than in August. Just sayin'.

EDIT: And in college, school the week before Labor Day meant no school in May.
   27. madvillain Posted: August 04, 2017 at 04:55 PM (#5506712)
Michigan, on top of having OG HC Harbaugh, has Don ####### Brown, who turned a bunch of undersized, barely recruited dudes at BC into one of the most fearsome defenses in the country. Give that dude Rashan Gary and the defensive side of two top ten refruiting classes and you've got nothing to worry about. Maybe punk ass Penn State or Kevin Wilson's offense at O$U puts up some points, but otherwise I don't see any legit cause for concern. UF maybe but that doesn't seem likely given how they've been.

Did you see the videos with Brown that came out on twitter the last couple days? Dude sounds downright giddy about this bunch. They have to find some corners but they got a handful of top 200 kids to pick from including a couple top 100 kids now in their second year.

The D line might be better than last year and that is downright scary. Rashan Garry is 295 lbs and runs a legit 4.5 40. I cannot wait to see what he can do with a year under his belt and in the S&C program. I love how Harbaugh did the pro style "combine" in the spring and posted all the category leaders online.

Harbaugh just gets it. He gets how to motivate players and he gets what the fans want as well. I'm so excited for the season even if I believe deep down he's still a couple years away from contending for a title. Need an upperclass QB better than Speight.

####### Hoke. Dude forget to recruit the most important position on the field and boot all his eggs in the Shane Morris basket. Dumbass.
   28. You're a clown, RMc! I'm tired of it! Posted: August 04, 2017 at 06:35 PM (#5506764)
There must be a market for spring professional football in those football-mad states.

Actually, it's been tried, but not successfully.

Spring professional football (USFL, WLAF) has never worked, won't work, never will work. Same thing with cut-rate pro football in the fall (UFL, FXFL).

You know what works? Pro football played in the fall, on Sundays, in large stadiums in big cities with the best players. Period.
   29. 2 dudes are better than STIGGLES; i'm both of em Posted: August 04, 2017 at 08:34 PM (#5506824)
Actually, it's been tried, but not successfully.

Spring professional football (USFL, WLAF) has never worked, won't work, never will work. Same thing with cut-rate pro football in the fall (UFL, FXFL).
the USFL was viable until some colossal jerkass bought the new jersey franchise, then convinced the league to move the season from the spring to the fall, putting the league into bankruptcy, then sued the NFL to try to force a merger.

colossal. #######. jerkass.
   30. Howie Menckel Posted: August 04, 2017 at 10:20 PM (#5506886)
until some colossal jerkass bought the new jersey franchise, then convinced the league to move the season from the spring to the fall, putting the league into bankruptcy, then sued the NFL to try to force a merger.

to be fair, they did win the anti-trust lawsuit against the NFL and thus were awarded treble damages.

the OJ-like jury then set $1 - times 3 equal 3 - as the reparations.

p.s. I used to go to some Generals games. Herschel Walker and Doug Flutie!
   31. simpleton & childlike gef the talking mongoose Posted: August 14, 2017 at 09:30 PM (#5513228)
RiP, Frank Broyles. He was as close as Arkansas came to having a god when I was growing up.

The 1964 national championship (#### you, AP & UPI -- what kind of ########### morons complete the final ####### poll before the goddamned ############# bowl games?) came some 9 months before I started first grade. His last game came during my senior year. My earliest truly meaningful sports memory, the Game of the Century 1-point heartbreaker against Texas, occurred while I was in 5th grade.
   32. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: August 15, 2017 at 02:16 AM (#5513382)
Tough month for former broadcast partners of Keith Jackson. I enjoyed Broyles as an analyst.

33. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: August 15, 2017 at 02:48 AM (#5513383)
(#### you, AP & UPI -- what kind of ########### morons complete the final ####### poll before the goddamned ############# bowl games?)

The kind that understood that bowl games were post-season exhibitions.
   34. Meatwad Posted: August 15, 2017 at 03:20 AM (#5513384)
For the most part bowl games were ignored in final rankings. For a good amount of time ND would not go to bowl games no matter what.
   35. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: August 15, 2017 at 10:17 AM (#5513460)
Ah, the ND self imposed bowl ban of 30+ years of whatever it was. The Big 10 also had a Rose Bowl or no bowl thing going for awhile.
   36. stanmvp48 Posted: August 15, 2017 at 10:27 AM (#5513466)
#31. And there was an obvious clip on Street's touchdown run.
   37. Tom Nawrocki Posted: August 15, 2017 at 10:32 AM (#5513474)
And there was an obvious clip on Street's touchdown run.

Huston Street's dad.
   38. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: August 21, 2017 at 02:51 PM (#5517991)
The poll of record:

Rk Team (1st)           Pts
 1 Alabama (52)         1513
 2 Ohio State (3)       1414
 3 Florida State (4)    1396
 4 USC (2)              1325
 5 Clemson              1201
 6 Penn State           1196
 7 Oklahoma             1170
 8 Washington           1150
 9 Wisconsin             926
10 Oklahoma State        889
11 Michigan              881
12 Auburn                880
13 LSU                   784
14 Stanford              695
15 Georgia               690
16 Louisville            629
17 Florida               624
18 Miami (FL)            492
19 South Florida         327
20 Kansas State          317
21 Virginia Tech         240
22 West Virginia         207
23 Texas                 173
24 Washington State      133
25 Tennessee             114

26 TCU                    98
27 Utah                   85
28 Notre Dame             65
29 Boise State            37
30 NC State               26
31 Northwestern           25
32 Pittsburgh             23
33 Oregon                 21
34 Houston                19
35 Colorado               18
36 UCLA                    9
   San Diego State         9
38 BYU                     5
39 Appalachian State       4
   Nebraska                4
   Tulsa                   4
42 Kentucky                3
   Texas A&M               3
44 Michigan State          1
   39. 2 dudes are better than STIGGLES; i'm both of em Posted: August 21, 2017 at 03:11 PM (#5518004)
44 Michigan State 1
who? why?

sure, they're coming off a 3 win season and they don't have a proven QB, but they've also lost 6 projected starters due to rape allegations. sounds like a team on the upswing.
   40. cmd600 Posted: August 21, 2017 at 03:33 PM (#5518017)
and he bolted from stanford after his only good season there.

This is good Stiggles. Did such a good job at a Stanford program that was in complete disarray that the NFL came calling and left Stanford in a position where they are generally expected to be making NY6 bowls? Consider it a negative.
   41. Cowboy Popup Posted: August 21, 2017 at 04:22 PM (#5518054)
Did Washington lose a lot of talent? Because last year it felt like the defense was there and maybe the offense was a year away against elite opponents. I'm not saying 9 is outrageous or anything, just curious why they aren't in the top 5.

I'm not sure why that stuck out to me this time and not in the coaches poll. Being behind OU after it lost Stoops (the good one, they kept the crappy one) does seem a bit more noticeable I guess.
   42. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: August 21, 2017 at 05:34 PM (#5518111)
Washington brings back practically everybody but John Ross and the secondary. Budda Baker and a slew of corners are being replaced by freshman and sophomores who were all top recruits, but who knows how they'll play until they play.
   43. Cowboy Popup Posted: August 21, 2017 at 06:46 PM (#5518139)
Thanks Lance!

That secondary was pretty studly. But Chris Peterson is pretty good at having guys step up when there is an off-season to prepare. Sure sounds like they lost less than OU.

Ah well, it will all be sorted out in a couple months.

I'm starting to really get captivated by what a Kevin Wilson/Urban Meyer offense is going to look like. They are going to shred OU's defense and probably most of the other defenses on their schedule.
   44. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: August 26, 2017 at 02:34 PM (#5521520)
False sunrise shines on Colorado State's sweet new digs.
   45. CFBF Is The Victim of Unfathomable Pinheadery Posted: August 26, 2017 at 02:50 PM (#5521529)
For the 87th year in a row, Florida is hoping for competent quarterback play. The good news is that for the first time in that 87-year run, Florida actually has enough talent on offense for a potentially competent quarterback on the roster to actually step up.
   46. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: August 26, 2017 at 05:40 PM (#5521576)
After three, BYU leads Portland State just 14-6. The LSU game is shaping up to be a bloodbath.
   47. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: August 26, 2017 at 06:19 PM (#5521582)
Look out, Bama. Colorado State's coming for you September 16.
   48. Cowboy Popup Posted: August 26, 2017 at 08:16 PM (#5521613)
Dear God, CBS Sports' phone app makes watching football difficult.
   49. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: August 26, 2017 at 08:24 PM (#5521619)
South Florida looks completely inept. Four possessions that have collectively moved backwards, two of which were followed by a shanked punt and a blocked punt that set San Jose State up in the red zone. 16-0 after 12 minutes.

This is the early favorite for the Group of Five spot.
   50. Cowboy Popup Posted: August 26, 2017 at 08:29 PM (#5521625)
Alright. Giving up. Rot in hell CBS.
   51. Cowboy Popup Posted: August 26, 2017 at 08:30 PM (#5521626)
USF looks a lot like some recent Texas squads for some reason.
   52. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: August 26, 2017 at 08:52 PM (#5521655)
San Jose State gets stuffed on 4th-and-1 at the USF 33, and the game immediately turns around. USF marches right down and scores, then gets an interception off a bobble, drives the field and punches it in on 4th-and-goal.
   53. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: August 26, 2017 at 09:00 PM (#5521661)
Another interception off a deflection, another quick touchdown, and USF's up 21-16 in less time than it took to fall behind.
   54. Cowboy Popup Posted: August 26, 2017 at 09:15 PM (#5521668)
Ok, got it on the tablet. Carlos Rodon was bumming me out.

Despite my snark above, I'm rooting for Strong. I like him a lot as a coach and I don't think his success at Louisville was a fluke. I really hope he succeeds at USF, I think it's a perfect match.
   55. Cowboy Popup Posted: August 26, 2017 at 09:20 PM (#5521671)
That's a baller punt.
   56. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: August 26, 2017 at 11:23 PM (#5521720)
Any possible excitement tonight fizzled in short order.

Just 116 hours until Tulsa-Oklahoma State.
   57. Slivers of Maranville descends into chaos (SdeB) Posted: August 27, 2017 at 12:50 PM (#5521816)
For the 87th year in a row, Florida is hoping for competent quarterback play.

Didn't Wuerffel win the Heisman?
   58. OCF Posted: August 27, 2017 at 06:48 PM (#5522030)
So my alma mater, Rice, went halfway around the world to play a game they probably shouldn't have. Gotta wonder what the payday (and the expenses) looked like.
   59. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: August 31, 2017 at 07:13 PM (#5524481)
Caught the opening of the Georgia State game to get a look at Turner Field. The field is oriented toward left field, and there's a grandstand running from the corner in right out into center, with the right field seats curling around behind, which looks terrible and is hopefully slated for demolition. Even in that event it'll always look peculiar, with a weird little 12-row grandstand along one sideline and a lower bowl, club level and upper deck along the opposite side and behind one end zone. The old Coke bottle area actually looks pretty natural sitting behind an end zone.
   60. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: August 31, 2017 at 08:01 PM (#5524491)
Nothing says "Football is back" like a Jared Leto voiceover.
   61. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: August 31, 2017 at 09:02 PM (#5524535)
Early indications are that Indiana's 2016 defensive improvement has stuck.
   62. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: August 31, 2017 at 11:44 PM (#5524634)
Then again...
   63. Gold Star - just Gold Star Posted: September 01, 2017 at 02:48 AM (#5524676)
The Sun Devils looked ATROCIOUS.
   64. 2 dudes are better than STIGGLES; i'm both of em Posted: September 01, 2017 at 01:07 PM (#5524985)
last night was a great game for penn state. ohio state looked vulnerable, but won convincingly. the best of both worlds.

65. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: September 01, 2017 at 08:26 PM (#5525201)
Rutgers goes up 7-0 on Washington, and I don't even recognize the world I'm living in.
   66. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: September 01, 2017 at 09:32 PM (#5525225)
And now the former Fighting Chuckie Keetons lead Wisconsin 10-0.
   67. 2 dudes are better than STIGGLES; i'm both of em Posted: September 02, 2017 at 04:11 PM (#5525376)
penn state looks pretty decent.

temple...does not.
   68. 2 dudes are better than STIGGLES; i'm both of em Posted: September 02, 2017 at 04:25 PM (#5525378)
pitt wins in OT, looks horrible against 1AA youngstown state, will be destroyed next week.
   69. Cowboy Popup Posted: September 02, 2017 at 04:30 PM (#5525379)
Oh Texas. They looked terrible. I had to remind myself they were at home.
   70. Cowboy Popup Posted: September 02, 2017 at 04:42 PM (#5525380)
Pick 6 for UF. That's what they needed.
   71. Cowboy Popup Posted: September 02, 2017 at 04:49 PM (#5525383)
And another one. I think, after watching all of the MD game, I've seen something like 6 non-offensive TDs today.
   72. CFBF Is The Victim of Unfathomable Pinheadery Posted: September 02, 2017 at 04:52 PM (#5525384)
I was just complaining to a friend that UF's best defense is a Michigan mistake and that was unsustainable.

But if Speight is going to keep doing THAT....
   73. Cowboy Popup Posted: September 02, 2017 at 04:59 PM (#5525388)
Gosh this is a sloppy game. To be expected I guess.
   74. CFBF Is The Victim of Unfathomable Pinheadery Posted: September 02, 2017 at 06:16 PM (#5525410)
I don't know how the Florida defense keeps falling for the football equivalent of, "Hey, look over there!" I mean, there's a reason most teams don't hand the ball off on 3rd and long. That's not supposed to be an easy conversion. And yet....
   75. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: September 02, 2017 at 06:33 PM (#5525419)
NC State just got royally ###### twice in four plays. Blatant pass interference on first down that would've put the ball at the South Carolina 25, then on 4th-and-5, a stretch for the marker clearly got the nose of the ball to the 30, but the spot put it half a yard short, the measurement was inches shy, and review somehow upheld it.

3:06 left, and now NC State needs to go 72 yards trailing 35-28.
   76. Cowboy Popup Posted: September 02, 2017 at 06:36 PM (#5525421)
Man, Michigan had UF on the ropes. Speight missed a wide open guy. Just had to throw it like, almost anywhere in bounds and it would have been a TD. Then false start, missed kick, still a game. But UF's defense is pretty worn down, and presumably thin from the suspensions.

That big return in the NC State game was called back. But they could tie it here.
   77. Cowboy Popup Posted: September 02, 2017 at 06:41 PM (#5525424)
Not a fumble! NC State still driving.
   78. CFBF Is The Victim of Unfathomable Pinheadery Posted: September 02, 2017 at 06:42 PM (#5525425)
I didn't think Franks looked that bad for Florida. Made a couple nice throws and flashed some athleticism on the run. He had a bad fumble, but considering the Gators are missing their best weapons, I think Franks gave a pretty good account of himself. Zaire's been awful.
   79. CFBF Is The Victim of Unfathomable Pinheadery Posted: September 02, 2017 at 06:44 PM (#5525426)
Oh, Nick Eubanks. It's another Jim McElwain recruiting miss coming back to haunt UF. Hurray.
   80. greenback is not cosmopolitan Posted: September 02, 2017 at 06:51 PM (#5525432)
Speight needs to identify an open receiver about a half-second sooner. The result now is that he ends up throwing the ball about two yards beyond the boundaries, which isn't useful.
   81. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: September 02, 2017 at 06:52 PM (#5525433)
Dadgummit.
   82. Nero Wolfe, Indeed Posted: September 02, 2017 at 07:03 PM (#5525444)
I don't think Zaire's going to see anymore game action past this weekend.
   83. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: September 02, 2017 at 07:55 PM (#5525459)
Western Michigan tied 21-21 going to the fourth at USC.

STILL ROWING.
   84. Cowboy Popup Posted: September 02, 2017 at 08:01 PM (#5525460)
Too bad it's on the Pac-12 Network.

Purdue just went up 7-0. Louisville's offense looks not great so far.
   85. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: September 02, 2017 at 08:04 PM (#5525462)
On the day that UAB returns from the dead -- 38-7 over Alabama A&M -- I would find it appropriate if Jimbo Fisher kicked Alabama's ass.
   86. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: September 02, 2017 at 08:15 PM (#5525466)
USC marches down the field to go up 28-21, then WMU returns the kick.

ROW!
   87. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: September 02, 2017 at 08:34 PM (#5525468)
Ugh. Francois will come to regret that throw.
   88. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: September 02, 2017 at 08:58 PM (#5525472)
Fisher'd be better off risking Francois on option plays, because FSU isn't going to be able to run with straight handoffs, and he's probably more likely to survive four quarters taking the odd tackle on a running play than taking a bunch of clean shots in the pocket, which is what the inability to run is going to lead to.
   89. Brian C Posted: September 03, 2017 at 01:07 AM (#5525516)
As a Florida guy, I was encouraged by McElwain's first season. I mean, the East has been mediocre for a long time, but that never did Muschamp much good, and a division title was nice, and even getting plowed by Alabama was not really a reason for shame for a first-year coach just trying to keep the program above water. Wasn't his fault (presumably) that his QB got caught doping and there was no QB depth - or for that matter, no depth on offense of any kind. Under the circumstances, it was all perfectly acceptable.

Last year ... was a little eerie for being the exact same. The Outback Bowl win over Iowa was a good showing. It was discouraging that they weren't competitive again versus either FSU or Alabama, though. Again, QB depth was a problem, only this time I couldn't help but wonder why Appleby was getting worse as the season went on with an offensive coach running things. Shades of the Muschamp era there. I mean, I get that Muschamp left the cupboard bare on offense but why do things keep getting worse as the season progresses? Where is the actual, you know, coaching?

And now, today ... I don't know. It's still one game, except it's not, you know? It's more of the same. Why are they getting the #### kicked out of them by a Michigan team that was returning practically no one from last season? Why did the Gators seem completely unprepared again on offense? Why did an experienced player like Zaire look like a high school freshman put into an FBS game? It's not the loss that bothers me, Michigan is obviously an elite program and it was gonna be a tough game for Florida no matter what. But it would have been nice if it was a tough game for Michigan too, and what bothers me is the complete lack of competitiveness against an inexperienced team. If not for a couple of extremely fortuitous pick-6s, this game is out of hand much earlier.

They were plainly outcoached and it wasn't close. They got chewed up like they were Indiana. And Harbaugh's only in his third season at Michigan, having taken over a 5-7 team, so it's not like he's at a more advanced stage of his program than Mac is at Florida. Today was just embarrassing.

I guess all I can say is that there better not be any drama against Northern Colorado next week, and they better look a lot better against Tennessee in two weeks. Mac's folksy "it's ok, we know what we're doing, just be patient" schtick is wearing really thin at this point. I'm not quite ready to give up on McElwain, but I'm pretty close. He's out of time, I think, to prove that he's the right guy to be running an elite program. No more embarrassments.
   90. Howie Menckel Posted: September 03, 2017 at 10:01 AM (#5525533)
Howard, a 45-point underdog, knocks off UNLV in the biggest point spread upset in history.

maybe Howard can use some of the $600,000 in appearance fee money to throw a party after they fly home.
   91. 2 dudes are better than STIGGLES; i'm both of em Posted: September 03, 2017 at 01:08 PM (#5525568)
I guess all I can say is that there better not be any drama against Northern Colorado next week, and they better look a lot better against Tennessee in two weeks. Mac's folksy "it's ok, we know what we're doing, just be patient" schtick is wearing really thin at this point. I'm not quite ready to give up on McElwain, but I'm pretty close. He's out of time, I think, to prove that he's the right guy to be running an elite program. No more embarrassments.
it seems like a lot of the high profile assistants who get top jobs aren't very detail oriented and have glaring weaknesses that show up when they don't have a guy like saban or carroll standing over their shoulder.
   92. Brian C Posted: September 03, 2017 at 05:05 PM (#5525636)
it seems like a lot of the high profile assistants who get top jobs aren't very detail oriented and have glaring weaknesses that show up when they don't have a guy like saban or carroll standing over their shoulder.

This is true but I'd go one step further - I wonder if working for an obsessive maniac like Saban isn't actually detrimental to the development of assistants. I don't know what working for him is really like, of course, but he sure gives the impression of running an uncommonly top-down driven program. It's one thing to have an opportunity to learn from the best, but I wonder if his assistants really have a chance to grow and learn things for themselves.

On the other hand, every great coach was an assistant somewhere at some point, and it's only natural to expect that a large percentage of assistants will be unsuccessful, like with any other level jump. A lot are just going to get weeded out.

All that said ... this is probably the first time anyone's referred to McElwain as a "high profile assistant". I don't recall him being a hot name when he was on staff at Alabama and he was only able to leverage his role as Saban's OC into a head coaching job at Colorado State. Florida seems to have just thought that either a) they were smarter than everyone else and found a diamond in the rough, or b) they were desperate to end the Muschamp era but no one better was available.

And on that note, it's hard to say who a good replacement candidate for McElwain would be. What I'd be looking for, though (if it comes to that), wouldn't be an assistant, but a current head coach who's gotten immediate positive results at smaller program. It's hard to turn a program around overnight at the elite levels, but your great up-and-comer types do it pretty regularly at smaller programs where just getting organized and on task gives you a leg up on your rivals.

Otherwise, former defensive coordinator DJ Durkin looks like he might have something going on at Maryland.
   93. Cowboy Popup Posted: September 03, 2017 at 05:36 PM (#5525650)
2 hours left. Having the opening game Sunday night is brutal. Time has been moving at a glacial pace since Bama pulled away from FSU last night.
   94. . . . . . . . . . . Posted: September 03, 2017 at 06:23 PM (#5525665)
Otherwise, former defensive coordinator DJ Durkin looks like he might have something going on at Maryland.

You mean former high-profile assistant DJ Durkin?

In all seriousness, it seems clear to me that the skill set for an A+ coordinator is quite different from that needed to be an A+ Coach, and success at one hardly guarantees success at the other. But the same is true for being a head coach at a smaller school compared to being a head coach at a power program, as Brady Hoke and Charlie Strong will tell you. The best hires have succeeded in both settings before getting their P5 chance - but hell, Tom Hermann just lost to Maryland at home.

You say Florida was out coached but I don't see it. To me, they weren't out-talented, which is terrifying when you're Florida playing Michigan. TBF, the secret to Harbaugh's quick success at Michigan was that Hoke was a good recruiter, particularly on D, but a shitty coach in other respects. So the cupboard wasn't bare when Harbaugh showed up, rather merely in need of a good dusting. I don't think McElwain was given anything to work with at Florida other than the sort of dogshit busted five star types that litter the roster of prestige programs that don't recruit smart. As a Michigan guy, I recognize the type from the Late Carr era.
   95. Cowboy Popup Posted: September 03, 2017 at 06:54 PM (#5525673)
McElwain inherited an unbelievable depth chart on the defensive side of the ball. And the defense has been outstanding during his time there, ignoring the second half of the UM game yesterday.

You are probably right that he may not have inherited as much talent as one might expect on offense (doesn't help that Will Grier did what he did). But he's a former OC and it's year three at freaking Florida. There should be some progress by now.
   96. Brian C Posted: September 03, 2017 at 07:59 PM (#5525683)
You mean former high-profile assistant DJ Durkin?

I know you're kinda kidding, but to be clear, I'm making a distinction (as I believe STIGGLES was) between going straight from being a high-profile assistant to being a head coach at an elite program, and proving yourself as a head coach first before ascending to the elite program. There's always exceptions, obviously. Bob Stoops went straight from Florida DC to Oklahoma HC and did great. Jimbo Fisher, as much as I hate to see it, is obviously doing good things at FSU.

To be honest, I didn't think Brady Hoke had the track record I'd want to see for an elite program hire. He was five years in at Ball State before reaching a bowl game, and his tenure at San Diego State wasn't terribly impressive. I mean, it was nice and all to have a winning season there, but there was nothing in his record to indicate he was one of the best coaches in the country. Plus he was over 50 years old before Michigan hired him - not really a stud prospect at that age, you know? He was the same age then that Urban Meyer and Jim Harbaugh are now. To be fair to Michigan, those guys are few and far between; you can't hit a homerun every time. But I don't think his eventual difficulties at UM were all that surprising.
McElwain inherited an unbelievable depth chart on the defensive side of the ball. And the defense has been outstanding during his time there, ignoring the second half of the UM game yesterday.

You are probably right that he may not have inherited as much talent as one might expect on offense (doesn't help that Will Grier did what he did). But he's a former OC and it's year three at freaking Florida. There should be some progress by now.

Exactly. The talent Mac inherited on defense was very strong, at least equal to what Harbaugh got at Michigan. And it's to Mac's credit that he continued getting good results on that side of the ball, although the jury's still out on whether he can keep it going with his guys. But overall I thought the defense was competitive yesterday, even if their inexperience showed. That kind of stuff will happen.

Or at least it should, since clearly they weren't able to take advantage of Michigan's inexperience on defense, which is inexcusable. I'm not saying they should have put up 500 yards, but, say, accumulating double-digits in first downs would have been nice. You know, just some basic signs of competence? I've seen good offenses struggle against good defenses before, and it looks a lot different than what Florida was doing yesterday.
   97. greenback is not cosmopolitan Posted: September 03, 2017 at 09:14 PM (#5525693)
You say Florida was out coached but I don't see it. To me, they weren't out-talented, which is terrifying when you're Florida playing Michigan.

On the flip side that was the fastest Michigan defense I've ever seen. Michigan has had some good defenses over the last thirty years, and I'm not promising this one will be that good overall -- in particular I'm not sure what to make of the corners -- but again the speed on display was an eye-opener.

And, yeah, nobody in Michigan's fanbase was enamored with Brady Hoke. He was the backup choice when they couldn't get Harbaugh the last time around.
   98. Cowboy Popup Posted: September 03, 2017 at 11:03 PM (#5525725)
This is no longer fun.
   99. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: September 04, 2017 at 01:08 AM (#5525737)
Turned away from A&M-UCLA at 38-10 to watch "Twin Peaks" with a friend. ############.
   100. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: September 04, 2017 at 01:11 AM (#5525738)
############ goes for missing the comeback and for having sat through 18 hours for *that*.
Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 > 

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Mike Emeigh
for his generous support.