Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Saturday, April 21, 2018

OT - Catch-All Pop Culture Extravaganza (April - June 2018)

The following is previously unseen rehearsal footage of Prince & The Revolution from the summer of 1984.

It was in this very room at Flying Cloud Drive Warehouse in Eden Prairie, Minnesota that Prince created and committed to tape one of his most beloved and iconic compositions, which six years later would become a worldwide hit for Sinead O’Connor.

Prince’s original studio version of ‘Nothing Compares 2 U’ is presented here for the first time.

Trial to see if there’s sufficient support to make this a thing.

Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: April 21, 2018 at 02:32 PM | 3812 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: movies, music, off-topic, television, whatever else belongs under the rubric of 'popular culture'

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 37 of 39 pages ‹ First  < 35 36 37 38 39 > 
   3601. Lassus Posted: June 15, 2018 at 11:11 PM (#5693233)
My pop culture notes for the evening:

Menthol's DANGER: ROCK SCIENCE! from 2002 is the best 1990s album you've never heard of.

I watched an episode and a half of OZARK tonight and had to stop. It was tiresome to watch endless humorless setups of horrible things happening to stupid people. It was stressful.
   3602. Omineca Greg Posted: June 16, 2018 at 12:00 AM (#5693240)
   3603. BDC Posted: June 16, 2018 at 08:34 AM (#5693285)
My current popular-culture consumption:

After about seven months, finally finished the entire run of The Shield (2002-08). A series with outstanding plot and character writing, and terrific acting by a vast ensemble – whoever did the casting took advantage of the extreme surplus of talent in Los Angeles. Inevitably compared to The Wire, which was contemporary, but there isn't a realistic minute in the seven seasons of The Shield. The Shield is also far more conservative. I was reading that the cast of The Wire was somewhat overwhelmed by the superior panache of The Shield at first, but as the years went on you can see The Shield borrowing from The Wire, as if to acknowledge that the creators of The Wire were just more inventive and observant. But for sheer drama The Shield is better.

Someone noted here at one point that the only false note in The Shield is Glenn Close (in her one season), and I agree. She's fine as far as her character goes, but for whatever reason her character is fairly bland, as if maybe she didn't want to play the Cruella de Vil of the LAPD, which would have been more to type.

I finally also saw, after 24 years, Krzysztof Kieslowski's film White – still have Blue and Red in my queue. White is a foreign art film with subtitles, in a lot of Top 100 lists, but is it highbrow? It's a suspense caper full of sexual tension, gangsters, plots and counterplots. I think it would really bear rewatching: it is very intricately constructed. If there is a flaw, to me, it's that the film sees women as mere batteries of sexual longing: they don't seem to have any other agency.

Pop reading: The detective novel Erntedank, by the Bavarian writers Klüpfel and Kobr. This is a cozy puzzle with a socially-hapless middle-aged police commissioner investigating a ritual murder with a dead crow posed on the corpse's chest. If you read German and like this kind of thing, Klüpfel and Kobr have written several, none yet in English translation.

And now I'm off for a week in Bentonville AR, Kansas City MO, and Lawrence KS. Will Chatter from the game at Kaufmann on Monday night if my phone is alive but otherwise wish y'all a happy Midsummer for now.
   3604. I am going to be Frank Posted: June 16, 2018 at 09:08 AM (#5693295)
So I wanted to thank whomever recommended Lena brava (I’d search but I’m on my phone). I had the octopus and it was amazing.
   3605. Lassus Posted: June 16, 2018 at 09:12 AM (#5693296)
I think I made it through a couple of season of The Blacklist the first time, I've started re-watching as I paint and work on the house. Spader is amazing, it's like he's swallowed not just every piece of scenery in the room, but in rooms you've never seen or heard of.
   3606. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: June 16, 2018 at 09:37 AM (#5693301)
I really lost interest fast in that show once the female character was on the run. Spader, of course is terrific.
   3607. McCoy Posted: June 16, 2018 at 10:01 AM (#5693306)
Loved the shield when it came out. The winding down if the show was probably it's weakest episodes.
   3608. stig-tossled, hornswoggled gef the typing mongoose Posted: June 16, 2018 at 10:47 AM (#5693315)
And now I'm off for a week in Bentonville AR,

I strongly suspect you've totaled considerably more time in my native state's NW corner than I have. I've never set foot in Bentonville, spent a couple of hours in Fayetteville a few weeks before moving to Alabama, & honeymooned for probably a long weekend in Eureka Springs. That's it.
   3609. BDC Posted: June 16, 2018 at 10:56 AM (#5693319)
I strongly suspect you've totaled considerably more time in my native state's NW corner than I have

Actually I don't think I've ever been northwest of Hot Springs Village, so this will be a first for me. The attraction in Bentonville is the Crystal Bridges art museum.
   3610. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: June 16, 2018 at 01:38 PM (#5693392)
Menthol's DANGER: ROCK SCIENCE! from 2002 is the best 1990s album you've never heard of.
No way!! Menthol was from my hometown of Champaign, IL. I used to see their shows in the late '90s and just rediscovered this album earlier this year. It's the missing link between the Cars and the Killers. What led you to get into it?
   3611. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: June 16, 2018 at 03:01 PM (#5693420)
Why doesn't the PGA eject the obnoxious idiots who scream nonsense phrases after players hit their shots?
   3612. McCoy Posted: June 16, 2018 at 03:05 PM (#5693423)
I seem to recall the private club in Augusta would do that. Don't know why the PGA wouldn't do it either. Going to and getting into a PGA tournament ain't cheap. You want to waste all that money to yell a tired out phrase you saw on TV 5 years ago? Go right ahead but I'm betting it would get pretty rare when doing so meant you wasted 500 bucks.
   3613. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: June 16, 2018 at 04:46 PM (#5693482)
In case anyone is interested in such things, I saw Brit Floyd last night in Miami Beach. They are Pink Floyd tribute bad, and they put on a hell of a show. The music was spot on, and the visuals were fantastic. Their setlist, chronologically in the order Floyd recorded them was :

Arnold Layne
One of These Days
Speak to Me/Breathe/On the Run/Time/The Great Gig in the Sky (performed consecutively)
Money
Brain Damage/Eclipse
Shine On you Crazy Diamond
Have a Cigar/Wish You Were here
Pigs
The Happiest Days of our Lives/Another Brick in the Wall Part 2/Mother
Comfortably Numb
Run Like Hell
Southhampton Dock/The Final Cut
The Dogs of War
Sorrow
High Hopes
Take it Back
A Great Day for Freedom

A very well spent $50.

3614. I am going to be Frank Posted: June 16, 2018 at 04:49 PM (#5693485)
I can’t believe a tribute band costs $50/ticket. Granted it is Miami Beach.
   3615. PreservedFish Posted: June 16, 2018 at 04:57 PM (#5693489)
I saw Brit Floyd last night in Miami Beach

And a friend was just telling me about the Australian Floyd she had seen. I asked if they used a didgeridoo.

Almost 20 years ago I saw a Floyd cover band whose name I don't recall. I think they were pretty good, but my only abiding memory is that they changed the lyric "it's good to warm my bones by the fire" into "it's good to smoke a bowl by the fire," and the crowd went wild. Oh, and when they played "Another Brick in the Wall (Part 1)" everyone started singing along with the wrong lyrics, the Part 2 lyrics, and the fake Dave Gilmour had to shush everyone.
   3616. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: June 16, 2018 at 05:47 PM (#5693509)

Nice deep cuts; I like that album a lot.

If you haven't heard it, you should check out Les Claypool's Fearless Flying Frog Brigade covering Animals
   3617. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: June 16, 2018 at 07:48 PM (#5693572)
I can’t believe a tribute band costs $50/ticket. Granted it is Miami Beach.

They have a multi million $ light and video accompaniment. It's not just 4 guys doing "Another Brick in the Wall."

Pigs
   3618. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: June 16, 2018 at 07:54 PM (#5693574)
Nice deep cuts;

I would have liked to see something from Obscured by Clouds, maybe Childhood's End, which makes for a great concert song. Also better selections from A Momentary Lapse of Reason, but those are quibbles.
   3619. stig-tossled, hornswoggled gef the typing mongoose Posted: June 16, 2018 at 08:30 PM (#5693592)
Tribute bands are pathetic. The end. Which as I've noted before also appears to include just about all orchestras or symphonies or whatever playing classical music.

Though since people actually exist who are willing to share out money for such nonsense, I suppose they have their place. So does reality TV. Jesus.
   3620. Lassus Posted: June 16, 2018 at 08:43 PM (#5693606)
Tribute bands are pathetic. The end.

I laughed.

Which as I've noted before also appears to include just about all orchestras or symphonies or whatever playing classical music.

And then I wondered what the fuck you were talking about.

Did you just compare Bach and Brahms to reality television?

3621. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: June 16, 2018 at 08:46 PM (#5693608)
Tribute bands are pathetic. The end. Which as I've noted before also appears to include just about all orchestras or symphonies or whatever playing classical music.

This is ridiculous. Does that apply to theatrical performances that don't have the original cast also? Is it pathetic to go see Hamilton now? Or for that matter, any Shakespeare?

Once Mozart of Bach died, no one should have ever played their music again?
   3622. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: June 16, 2018 at 08:50 PM (#5693610)
Tribute bands are pathetic. The end.

I laughed.

Which as I've noted before also appears to include just about all orchestras or symphonies or whatever playing classical music.

And then I wondered what the #### you were talking about.

If I'm reading you right, it's fine to mock a well done Pink Floyd show, but it's beyond the pale to criticize a well done Beethoven show? if so, your position is even more ridiculous. At least gef is consistent, if wrong.
   3623. McCoy Posted: June 16, 2018 at 09:17 PM (#5693626)
Laughing; me from 11 years ago

McCoy Posted: July 19, 2007 at 07:28 AM (#2446140)
To be perfectly honest Argentine wine was crap until the mid-90's. Their best grape is a minor grape so they have an uphill battle, I mean who wants to drink Malbec? The wines have gotten better and they are producing good wines in the Mendoza region. They are getting a lot of seasoned pros from other wine producing countries and producing good wine. Wineries like Achaval-Ferrer and Chandon. But they just don't make a lot of it or are consistent with it. Argentina is the 5th largest wine producer in the world and most of it is undrinkable by American standards. You just are not going to be getting too many shoppers in a store looking for Malbec. Malbec is one of those grapes that people buy because they go to a wine tasting event and get "educated" on this unknown wine and then they proceed to act like a wine snob to their friends who are used to bringing Cab or Merlot to a party with Pinot as the "exotic" wine that sometimes get brought instead.

To give myself a least a shooting chance I should note that I think I was tasting a lot of bad cheap Malbec in 2007.
   3624. cardsfanboy Posted: June 16, 2018 at 09:24 PM (#5693630)
I think I made it through a couple of season of The Blacklist the first time, I've started re-watching as I paint and work on the house. Spader is amazing, it's like he's swallowed not just every piece of scenery in the room, but in rooms you've never seen or heard of.

I don't watch the Blacklist, but Spader is absolutely a guy who commands a scene.
   3625. cardsfanboy Posted: June 16, 2018 at 09:25 PM (#5693631)
Loved the shield when it came out. The winding down if the show was probably it's weakest episodes.

Mostly agree, but it also has one of the better finales of any show that knew it was making a finale.
   3626. McCoy Posted: June 16, 2018 at 09:28 PM (#5693633)
Mostly agree, but it also has one of the better finales of any show that knew it was making a finale.

I don't know. I mean I guess Vic gonna be Vic even though he gets away with it all is a nice send off but that point the whole thing just kind of became ridiculous.
   3627. Lassus Posted: June 16, 2018 at 09:42 PM (#5693639)
If I'm reading you right, it's fine to mock a well done Pink Floyd show, but it's beyond the pale to criticize a well done Beethoven show? if so, your position is even more ridiculous. At least gef is consistent, if wrong.

You're not reading me right. Even cover bands (warmly) mock themselves. And I wouldn't have signed on to gef's comment on cover bands. I laughed because of the tone and delivery, not because I find cover bands an effrontery.

Also, comparing a cover band to an orchestra strains sanity.
   3628. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: June 16, 2018 at 09:43 PM (#5693642)
And, comparing a cover band to an orchestra strains sanity.

Why? What is an orchestra but a collection of musicians playing music someone else wrote?
   3629. Srul Itza Posted: June 16, 2018 at 09:52 PM (#5693646)
a collection of musicians playing music someone else wrote?

Aside from singer-song writers, isn't that what all singers and musicians do?
   3630. Omineca Greg Posted: June 16, 2018 at 10:02 PM (#5693652)

Well, I don't know. Bach had five brothers named Johann. Sounds like you could make a reality show out of that.

I'd call it Six Johanns Are Enough. Teenage girls would be all over that, arguing over which Johann was the cutest, posters on their bedroom walls.

Or maybe I'm Johann, This Is My Brother Johann, And My Other Brother Johann, And My Other Brother Johann, And My Other Brother Johann, And My Other Brother Johann. We'd go in a wry, understated style of humour for that one.

And if it were successful, you could spin a new series off it involving one of his sisters, Visions of Johanna. I think I'd take that one more high-brow, get a different over the hill indie icon to sing a different version of the title theme every week à la Weeds. Oh look, somebody's already done one up. God bless you.

And Bach had twenty children! That's reality material right there. I'd make that one a little more adult, late night television. Centre less on the children (after all, a few of them died young), and more on the passionate lovemaking. Bach To Bach: Belly To Belly. Or......The Well Tempered Organ no no no...The Well Tempered Cocky Organ, to show that we're down with the struggle.
   3631. Greg K Posted: June 16, 2018 at 10:05 PM (#5693654)
I don't watch the Blacklist, but Spader is absolutely a guy who commands a scene.

His brief run in The Office was fun. The show was kind of fading out, so his odd, overwhelming presence in every scene was a nice jolt.
   3632. dlf Posted: June 16, 2018 at 10:12 PM (#5693661)
Nice deep cuts; I like that album a lot.

So do I, but four decades later, younger listeners need to bring a history book to the listening party to get many of the references. How many folks under 45 could tell you who all of these people are and what conflicts are being referenced?

Brezhnev took Afghanistan.
Begin took Beirut.
Galtieri took the Union Jack.
And Maggie, over lunch one day,
Took a cruiser with all hands.
Apparently, to make him give it back.
   3633. Hot Wheeling American, MS-13 Enthusiast Posted: June 16, 2018 at 11:05 PM (#5693699)
My wife is away this weekend and I've been battling a cold, so a good opportunity to clean out the DVR:

Thief (1981), Hulu - had never seen this. Caan and Prosky were great. Though it was certainly timely, the synth score could be a bit much.

Gandhi (1982), DVR-TCM - very (very) slowly making my way through Best Picture winners. Not much to say - a leading entry in the BP epic biopic canon, but Kingsley's great and the man and his story are handled and filmed well. How was Candice Bergen the second lead??

The Quiet Man (1952), DVR-TCM - pleasant and inessential. The gender politics obviously play a little...iffy 65+ years later.

Godless (2017), Netflix - all hail the seven episode limited series. Started earlier in the week, finished up this weekend. Beautiful to look at, Jeff Daniels gets plenty of one-armed scenery on which to chew, and they build well to the climatic battle. It's fortunately more than just what I would have guessed from the little I remembered about it when the show premiered last year - that it is about a town in the west housing almost entirely women, soon after almost all the men die in a mining accident. Merritt Weaver grew on me, but she's no Calamity Jane. In the peak tv era, this is skippable, but at the same time worth it if you seem at all interested.

The Last Man on Earth (2015), FOX & Hulu - one of those (many) shows where I've watched its entire run, but only once. So it's been nice to go back to the beginning. Will Forte's Tandy as a horrifically annoying character plays a little better while binging, but now that Sudeikis has shown up, Tandy is back to being the worst person on the show. Think I'll tap out on the rewatch after I finish up the second season.
   3634. McCoy Posted: June 16, 2018 at 11:17 PM (#5693709)
Watched Behind Enemy Lines for the first time in probably 17 years yesterday. I had vaguely recalled liking it way back when but watching it nowadays it's a pretty bad movie. Horribly edited (this movie is neck deep in the MTV quick cut shots, horrible sense of geography and where people are in relation to each other and to the action happening, has an ill-timed plot point in which Owen Wilson's character wishes to leave the Navy because there are just no more wars to fight, and at the end of it all nothing really happens. Owen describe his acting as trying to make running look dramatic in as many ways as possible. Yet somehow it got two sequels.
   3635. cardsfanboy Posted: June 16, 2018 at 11:30 PM (#5693718)
I'm fine with cover bands.. but I agree to a moderate extent tribute bands are a waste of space.

Play me 70's cover music, 80's or whatever floats your boat... but an entire set dedicated to "emulating" an artist... sorry no, not for me. I don't see any reason to go to a concert to see another band playing all Nirvana songs... if they are playing all grunge music, I'm there.... but it makes zero sense to lock yourself into a limited selection of music.
   3636. Hot Wheeling American, MS-13 Enthusiast Posted: June 16, 2018 at 11:34 PM (#5693722)
Yet somehow it got two sequels.

Should we really count a direct-to-video production starring professional wrestler Ken Anderson as a sequel in the normal sense of the word? I say no.
   3637. McCoy Posted: June 16, 2018 at 11:34 PM (#5693723)
I guess it would depend on how much material or how deep it is for the tribute band to cover. I mean you probably don't need to go to a tribute band for the Mighty Mighty Bosstones but a tribute band for The Rolling Stones could probably enjoyable.
   3638. McCoy Posted: June 16, 2018 at 11:36 PM (#5693726)
Should we really count a direct-to-video production starring professional wrestler Ken Anderson as a sequel in the normal sense of the word? I say no.

Well, technically there were 3 sequels so. . .
   3639. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: June 16, 2018 at 11:38 PM (#5693729)
but it makes zero sense to lock yourself into a limited selection of music.

Well, in that case, why see any band that does exclusively their own music?
   3640. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: June 17, 2018 at 12:00 AM (#5693744)
Where there's a Whill there's a way?

George Lucas made two “Star Wars” trilogies before selling Lucasfilm (and franchise rights) to The Walt Disney Company for billions. Although he was not part of the creative team on the next trilogy — J.J. Abrams helmed “The Force Awakens” and will return for next year’s ninth “Star Wars” film, while Rian Johnson oversaw 2017’s “The Last Jedi” — Lucas had a plan for the third cinematic triptych set in his galaxy far, far away.

The two-time best director Oscar nominee confided his vision to none other than James Cameron, who interviewed Lucas for “Space,” the second episode of his recent six-part AMC series “James Cameron’s Story of Science Fiction.” A transcript from their talk appears in the companion book of the same name, published by Insight Editions on May 18. In it, Lucas reveals that he would have turned his gaze from the cosmos to what can be viewed only under a microscope.

“[The next three ‘Star Wars’ films] were going to get into a microbiotic world,” he told Cameron. “There’s this world of creatures that operate differently than we do. I call them the Whills. And the Whills are the ones who actually control the universe. They feed off the Force.”

Elsewhere in the conversation, Lucas admitted, “Everybody hated it in ‘Phantom Menace’ [when] we started talking about midi-chlorians.” In terms of his storytelling, Lucas regarded individuals as “vehicles for the Whills to travel around in…And the conduit is the midi-chlorians. The midi-chlorians are the ones that communicate with the Whills. The Whills, in a general sense, they are the Force.”

Lucas is confidant that had he kept his company, the Whills-focused films “would have been done. Of course, a lot of the fans would have hated it, just like they did ‘Phantom Menace’ and everything, but at least the whole story from beginning to end would be told.”

Link

I almost wish Lucas had gotten a chance to "complete" his vision ...
   3641. Srul Itza Posted: June 17, 2018 at 12:11 AM (#5693745)
Watched Behind Enemy Lines for the first time in probably 17 years yesterday. I had vaguely recalled liking it way back when but watching it nowadays it's a pretty bad movie. . . . Yet somehow it got two sequels.

I very much disliked the stock bad guy turn by the French/Nato guy, willing to overlook atrocities in order to make peace. Bad writing.

I had no idea it had sequels, so I looked it up. Apparently they were all direct-to-video, with different casts and different stories. Literally, sequels in name only, like "Behind Enemy Lines: Colombia."
   3642. cardsfanboy Posted: June 17, 2018 at 12:13 AM (#5693746)
Well, in that case, why see any band that does exclusively their own music?

If it's original with a few covers then go for it. I'm not bagging on that point, I'm just arguing against people hating on cover bands, and I'm not not really comprehending tribute bands.. nor their appeal.
   3643. Srul Itza Posted: June 17, 2018 at 12:14 AM (#5693747)
I almost wish Lucas had gotten a chance to "complete" his vision ...

I just wish this third trilogy actually had a vision.

3644. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: June 17, 2018 at 12:15 AM (#5693748)
Well, this really sucks, even more than Jar-Jar Binks, midi-chlorians and the Whills combined.

After a decades-long production process that saw several failed iterations and even a documentary about its making, Terry Gilliam’s “The Man Who Killed Don Quixote” appeared to have a happy ending when it finally premiered at Cannes last month. Mixed reviews followed, and now Gilliam has lost a protracted court battle over the rights to his long-delayed passion project: The Paris Court of Appeal has ruled in favor of former producer Paulo Branco, who sued Gilliam over rights to the project.

The filmmaker has also been ordered to pay Branco’s Alfama Films €10,000 ($11,600) in fees. He previously won a case that allowed him to screen “Don Quixote” at Cannes, though the victory was short-lived. ”The ruling means that the rights to the film belong to Alfama. Any exploitation of the film up until now has been completely illegal and without the authorisation of Alfama,” Branco told Screen Daily.

“We will be seeking damages with interest from all the people involved in this illegal production and above all, all those who were complicit in its illegal exploitation. We’re holding everyone responsible.”

####
   3645. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: June 17, 2018 at 12:29 AM (#5693750)
and I'm not not really comprehending tribute bands.. nor their appeal.

I've seen 2. The one being discussed, and Gary Mullen and the Works, a Queen tribute band. In both cases, I viewed them as much a theatrical performance as a concert, as if I was watching a production of Hair or Jesus Christ Superstar. In both cases, the visuals: lighting, set design, costumes... were as much a part of the performance as the music. Last night was a production of a Pink Floyd concert.

YMMV, and it's fine to have that opinion. I just tend to push back when someone makes a declarative statement about something that is by definition an opinion of matter of taste (not talking about you here).
   3646. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: June 17, 2018 at 12:32 AM (#5693751)

I just wish this third trilogy actually had a vision.

Oh please, of course they have a "vision"!
   3647. PreservedFish Posted: June 17, 2018 at 06:04 AM (#5693758)
In both cases, the visuals: lighting, set design, costumes... were as much a part of the performance as the music. Last night was a production of a Pink Floyd concert.

Did they change costumes between Pink Floyd eras?
   3648. PreservedFish Posted: June 17, 2018 at 06:12 AM (#5693759)
When I was in college I also saw a Grateful Dead cover band named Dark Star Orchestra that would recreate entire Dead shows. Like, you show up and they play all 3 hours of the Dead's 7/24/73 concert, as close to note-for-note as they can.

Oh, I recall seeing a Prince cover band in Las Vegas, not something I paid for, just happened upon it in one of the mega casinos. I was very impressed that there's someone out there that plausibly looks like Prince AND can sing AND can play guitar well enough to kind of pull it off.

It's an interesting subject. If you were in an arena and 40 yards away from the fake Prince, and he had the real Prince's whole light show, backing band etc, you might well think it was the real Prince, and enjoy the concert. But if you found out it was the fake Prince, you'd be outraged. Why does authenticity matter? I know this has been covered by more intelligent people, I recall reading a Walter Benjamin essay more or less on this topic.

Likewise, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Brit Floyd put on a much better show than the real Pink Floyd - certainly a much more satisfying show for many viewers, because they're fans and obsessives just like the audience, less likely to push some new single or just not play a hit because they're bored of it. Certainly Dark Star Orchestra must put on a better show than whatever the decaying husk of the Grateful Dead do today.
   3649. Lassus Posted: June 17, 2018 at 07:49 AM (#5693763)
(after all, a few of [J.S. Bach's Children] died young)

Only half of those twenty made it to adulthood.
   3650. Lassus Posted: June 17, 2018 at 07:54 AM (#5693764)
What is an orchestra but a collection of musicians playing music someone else wrote?

Come on, Mirilou, I understand the need to push back as written in #3645, but equating an orchestra to a cover band can't be part of that. How many songs by the Kinks, Def Leppard, the Beach Boys, and Marillion did Brit Floyd play? And Brahms didn't tour Europe leading his own orchestra, inspiring legions of orchestras to take up the cause. It's not just comparable.
   3651. PreservedFish Posted: June 17, 2018 at 08:20 AM (#5693765)
It's not an insane comparison. If Brahms were alive and conducting, you would certainly pay much more to see a Brahms-led orchestra than one led by someone else playing the exact same music.
   3652. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: June 17, 2018 at 08:29 AM (#5693766)
and I'm not not really comprehending tribute bands.. nor their appeal.

That’s because you’ve never seen Mini KISS.
   3653. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: June 17, 2018 at 08:36 AM (#5693769)
Matt Murphy dead at 88.

Watch him disappoint Aretha

Just learning about this here. This is one of my favorite scenes from one of my favorite movies. Thanks for posting the news.
   3654. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: June 17, 2018 at 08:43 AM (#5693771)
Arnold Layne
One of These Days
Speak to Me/Breathe/On the Run/Time/The Great Gig in the Sky (performed consecutively)
Money
Brain Damage/Eclipse
Shine On you Crazy Diamond
Have a Cigar/Wish You Were here
Pigs
The Happiest Days of our Lives/Another Brick in the Wall Part 2/Mother
Comfortably Numb
Run Like Hell
The Dogs of War
Sorrow
High Hopes
Take it Back
A Great Day for Freedom

I too would like to see better selections from Momentary Lapse (On the Turning Away is my favorite Roger-less Floyd song). I do like that they included a selection from Final Cut. Childhood's End would have been a nice one. Has David done any Obscured by Clouds songs on his solo tours?
   3655. Rennie's Tenet Posted: June 17, 2018 at 08:46 AM (#5693772)
If Brahms were alive and conducting, you would certainly pay much more to see a Brahms-led orchestra than one led by someone else playing the exact same music.

I'd pay quite a bit to see that bad boy smash up his piano at the end of his set.
   3656. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: June 17, 2018 at 08:50 AM (#5693773)
When I was in college I also saw a Grateful Dead cover band named Dark Star Orchestra that would recreate entire Dead shows. Like, you show up and they play all 3 hours of the Dead's 7/24/73 concert, as close to note-for-note as they can.

I have seen them; I think they're really good. I also have seen Helping Phriendly Orchestra do basically the same thing with Phish shows. It's a lot of fun for me because I get to realize how many people like the Grateful Dead and Phish more than I do. Like one guy next to me knew the date of the show after the third song started.
   3657. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: June 17, 2018 at 09:29 AM (#5693775)
Has David done any Obscured by Clouds songs on his solo tours?

Wots uh the Deal
   3658. Omineca Greg Posted: June 17, 2018 at 09:30 AM (#5693776)
I have a friend who was kicked out of a bar for running down a tribute band.

He'd been drinking all afternoon in this crappy bar when he saw musicians setting up on a small stage that up to that point he hadn't even noticed.

He thought, "Great! Live music! I lucked out.". Being the only one in there besides staff and the band, he made his way to the stage and struck up a conversation. He was thinking he wasn't going to like the music, as the musicians had new wave hair cuts, and he was more of a metal guy.

"What kind of music do you play?"

"Oh, we're a tribute band!"

"Lame-o" he thought to himself. But maybe the evening would be salvageable. "Who do you pay tribute to?"

"Thompson Twins."

He started to laugh. "You can't be serious. The Thompson Twins! HA HA! You're kidding. right?"

By their scowling faces he could tell they weren't kidding.

But he was beginning to get on a roll. "Thompson Twins suck, but do you know what? You suck worse! Way worse! You see, The Thompson Twins, they're terrible, but you kind of have to respect them. They had no choice about how bad they sucked, but they went out and were the very best Thompson Twins they could be. Which of course, is really embarrassing still, but they had no choice about it. They had to be The Thompson Twins. Who else could they be? But you guys, you could've been anybody, ####, if you're too sad to have a single original thought..."

At this point the head ersatz Thompson Twin was motioning for security.

"...if you're too sad to have single original thought, I guess you could be a tribute band. Pretty sad, but whatever, you still get groupies probably. Over the hill groupies, HA HA! I'm just thinking of the middle aged women with sad-ass haircuts, '#### me Fake Thompson Twin! Choose me!' No, no, 'Hold me now!' they'd say. Pathetic."

Well, now the bogus Thompson Twins are really mad. They're looking around, but no security's coming.

"You could have been anybody! You could have been Iron Maiden. Or The Beatles or the Stones. Anybody. Anybody in the history of music, and you chose The Thompson Twins." He's saying it like this is the funniest thing in the the world, he can barely stand up, he's laughing so hard. "Thompson Twins. #### me that's funny. If you needed to be New Wave and have a chick in your band, you should have been Blondie. Or even Culture Club! 'I'm a man without conviction'. But we already know you have no conviction because here you are, pretending to be a god damn Thompson Twin!"

Finally the bouncer comes and escorts him from the establishment.

Annoying as he was, I have to admit, he had a point.

They could have been anybody.
   3659. Lassus Posted: June 17, 2018 at 09:39 AM (#5693778)
It's not an insane comparison.

I (and many others) would consider comparing cover bands to orchestras insane. I suppose I could make some cooking and aircraft comparisons you guys would be open to, though.
   3660. Lassus Posted: June 17, 2018 at 09:40 AM (#5693779)
I would totally go see a Thompson Twins cover band. And that dude deserved to be kicked out.
   3661. Lassus Posted: June 17, 2018 at 09:43 AM (#5693780)
Childhood's End

Those words aren't too random, but I don't suppose this has an Arthur C. Clarke connection?
   3662. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: June 17, 2018 at 09:48 AM (#5693783)
Those words aren't too random, but I don't suppose this has an Arthur C. Clarke connection?

I'm sure it does, but I'm not sure what it is.

It was the last song written entirely by Gilmore until Waters left. Thus, I would think he would have a soft spot for it and perform it on his solo tours, but I can't find any video of it. It's not on any of his solo live albums, which contain may Waters/Floyd songs.
   3663. PreservedFish Posted: June 17, 2018 at 10:12 AM (#5693789)
A had a friend that was in a semi-ironic Bob Seger cover band called Total BS:

On the night in question, the five-year-old band took the audience completely by surprise. Murmurs of "Was Bob Seger this good in concert?" and "I guess I like Bob Seger" reverberated through the crowd between high-fives, dance moves, and the drunken holding-up of cell phones. Total B.S. strikes just the right balance between total cool and totally dorked-out fanaticism. East Bay Express, 2010
   3664. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: June 17, 2018 at 10:23 AM (#5693791)
On the night in question, the five-year-old band took the audience completely by surprise. Murmurs of "Was Bob Seger this good in concert?" and "I guess I like Bob Seger" reverberated through the crowd between high-fives, dance moves, and the drunken holding-up of cell phones. Total B.S. strikes just the right balance between total cool and totally dorked-out fanaticism. East Bay Express, 2010

This is fantastic. I would see any tribute band in concert even if it was for a band I hate just for the entertainment value. Nostalgia is fun as long as it isn't harming anyone.
   3665. stig-tossled, hornswoggled gef the typing mongoose Posted: June 17, 2018 at 10:46 AM (#5693796)

I (and many others) would consider comparing cover bands to orchestras insane.

Limiting an act to playing by rote music from 200-odd years ago strikes me as insane. Might as well be a novelist who rewrites, I dunno, Goethe again & again. Or an artist who reinterprets Manet repeatedly. The results might be technically impressive, but my god whatever happened to creativity & originality?
   3666. Morty Causa Posted: June 17, 2018 at 01:07 PM (#5693869)
That was the critical reaction to Gus Van Sant's remake of Hitchcock's Psycho dot to dot. What's the point?
   3667. Baldrick Posted: June 17, 2018 at 01:34 PM (#5693878)
What a weird conversation. I have limited opportunities to go to concerts and millions of active bands that I want to see, so I don't think I'd ever go see a tribute band. But it's totally fine if other people want to. And it's not remotely difficult to understand why it would be fun.
   3668. McCoy Posted: June 17, 2018 at 07:17 PM (#5694015)
Disappointed with Archer this season but to be fair I have been for awhile. My new favorite show is Brockmire. Hank Azaria has created a truly fascinating and funny despicable character that one doesn't root for but one does watch to see what he does next. Wonderfully written.
   3669. PASTE, Now with Extra Pitch and Extra Stamina Posted: June 17, 2018 at 07:29 PM (#5694019)
I have nothing to contribute except that if I were in a world famous band I would 100% want to spend our weekends between tours going around to dumpy little bars pretending to be a tribute band of ourselves.
   3670. Omineca Greg Posted: June 17, 2018 at 07:30 PM (#5694021)
And that dude deserved to be kicked out.

Oh, I totally agree.

That's just the way he is though, if something is 90% insult and 10% joke, all he hears is the joke. He's just not sensitive to other people's feelings at all. To be fair, he's incredibly thick skinned himself, he's not one of those guys who can dish it but can't take it. He laughs at himself all the time, it's like the part of his psychology that deals with hurt feelings and insults is functioning on minimal power, almost non-existent. If The Faux Thompson Twins had come back with, "We're not pretending to be working musicians, and apparently you're not pretending to be a loser drinking alone all afternoon in a bar that's so shitty they had to hire the fake Thompson Twins. You sincerely are that person." he would have just laughed and said, "Good point. Good point." But he does take some getting used to.
   3671. Baldrick Posted: June 17, 2018 at 08:14 PM (#5694050)
That's just the way he is though, if something is 90% insult and 10% joke, all he hears is the joke. He's just not sensitive to other people's feelings at all.

Maybe his friends should tell him to stop being that way.
   3672. Omineca Greg Posted: June 17, 2018 at 08:28 PM (#5694055)
Maybe his friends should tell him to stop being that way.

It's pretty tough, it's like trying to teach him an aptitude he doesn't have.

But next time I see him I'll try again. I don't have to worry about him being offended.
   3673. PreservedFish Posted: June 17, 2018 at 08:31 PM (#5694059)
I think I'd rather see a Thompson Twins cover band than the actual Thompson Twins.
   3674. Lassus Posted: June 18, 2018 at 09:22 AM (#5694215)
I'm trying to decide if I should watch the 2004 BLEAK HOUSE mini-series with Gillian Anderson, or just read the book instead.
   3675. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: June 18, 2018 at 09:28 AM (#5694220)
Disappointed with Archer this season but to be fair I have been for awhile.

That show went from being one of the most creative and influential animated series on television to a nonentity in just a few seasons. Unfortunate, and I wish they would just cease the entire show rather than do these weird re-imaginings of the locations and characters to try and keep things "fresh".

Bojack Horseman is probably the best adult-oriented animated series out there. I was late to the party but it really is a very well-written and well-acted show, and probably the best depiction of depression and mental illness on television.

3676. PreservedFish Posted: June 18, 2018 at 09:34 AM (#5694223)
Unfortunate, and I wish they would just cease the entire show rather than do these weird re-imaginings of the locations and characters to try and keep things "fresh".

I think they just ran out of material for the James Bond setting. It's a parody, you can't keep mocking the same tropes and cliches.
   3677. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: June 18, 2018 at 09:41 AM (#5694226)
If you want to do a film noir show or a Allan Quartermain show just make a new show with new characters. When The Simpsons got lame they didn't say, "Let's put them all in the future with robots and spaceships and worms that love to party!" They made a new show.
   3678. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: June 18, 2018 at 09:42 AM (#5694227)
Belated congrats also to McCoy!
   3679. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: June 18, 2018 at 09:45 AM (#5694229)
The Last Man on Earth (2015), FOX & Hulu - one of those (many) shows where I've watched its entire run, but only once. So it's been nice to go back to the beginning. Will Forte's Tandy as a horrifically annoying character plays a little better while binging, but now that Sudeikis has shown up, Tandy is back to being the worst person on the show. Think I'll tap out on the rewatch after I finish up the second season.

I remain very disappointed this got canceled - and keep hoping for word that someone picks it up, but alas, that does not appear in the cards.

I thought this show really, really found itself by season 3 - the characters all evolve and change, even Forte's Tandy. I think it's the ultimate redemption show - all the characters go through periods of twitdom and all come out the better for it on the other side.
   3680. PreservedFish Posted: June 18, 2018 at 09:46 AM (#5694231)
I'm trying to decide if I should watch the 2004 BLEAK HOUSE mini-series with Gillian Anderson, or just read the book instead.

A curious book. Every other chapter alternates between the first person narrator and an omniscient narrator. The first person narrator is fairly dull classic Victorian character - the orphan that becomes a governess and finds out that she's actually a wealthy heiress or some #### like that, or falls in love, I don't really remember. The alternate chapters, with the omniscient narrator, are astoundingly creative and well-written. Overall, it's well worth the effort, but it sure was annoying to continually switch from between chapters that were mostly tiresome and chapters that were totally electric.
   3681. stig-tossled, hornswoggled gef the typing mongoose Posted: June 18, 2018 at 09:48 AM (#5694234)
That was the critical reaction to Gus Van Sant's remake of Hitchcock's Psycho dot to dot. What's the point?

That occurred to me as well. If there were an entire subgenre of scene-for-scene remakes, I suppose an audience would exist. Sadly.
   3682. PreservedFish Posted: June 18, 2018 at 09:49 AM (#5694235)
When The Simpsons got lame they didn't say, "Let's put them all in the future with robots and spaceships and worms that love to party!" They made a new show.

Well, they did run out of Springfield stories. It was all "they go to France" or "they go to Japan" or Celebrities X,Y and Z visit.

I applaud Archer for being loose and creative with the setting. It's too bad that it's not working great. Fine idea, bad execution.
   3683. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: June 18, 2018 at 09:51 AM (#5694237)
the orphan that becomes a governess and finds out that she's actually a wealthy heiress or some #### like that,

Virtually all of Dickens' novels work this way.
   3684. PreservedFish Posted: June 18, 2018 at 09:54 AM (#5694239)
Virtually all of Dickens' novels work this way.

Yep. What's interesting about Bleak House is that the rest of the book, the stuff that doesn't deal with this strand of the plot, is so brutal and incisive and intelligent that it almost makes the main character look like a parody.
   3685. Hysterical & Useless Posted: June 18, 2018 at 10:36 AM (#5694257)
The first person narrator is fairly dull classic Victorian character - the orphan that becomes a governess and finds out that she's actually a wealthy heiress or some #### like that, or falls in love, I don't really remember. The alternate chapters, with the omniscient narrator, are astoundingly creative and well-written.

I think BDC and I agreed a couple of years ago that Esther Summerson is insufferable, but as PF notes, the 3rd person narrative is often astoundingly powerful. To me, Dickens at his best has an immense propulsive force that just propels me onward.

3686. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: June 18, 2018 at 10:37 AM (#5694260)
That occurred to me as well. If there were an entire subgenre of scene-for-scene remakes, I suppose an audience would exist. Sadly.

That's not an apt comparison. There is a difference between watching something produced on tape or video and something live. I agree there is probably little sense to a scene for scene remake of movie ,because one can still see the original. One cannot see the original Pink Floyd or Queen, or Prince live anymore. Just like one cannot see Hamilton or Jesus Christ Superstar live with the original cast anymore. So one choses to see them with different players. I get that it's not your cup of tea, but it's far from pointless, so please stop making stupid analogies.
   3687. stig-tossled, hornswoggled gef the typing mongoose Posted: June 18, 2018 at 10:44 AM (#5694269)
Yeah, I'd be pretty defensive if I threw away $50 to see a cover band, too.
   3688. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: June 18, 2018 at 10:48 AM (#5694271)
Why are being such an ####### about this?
   3689. PreservedFish Posted: June 18, 2018 at 10:59 AM (#5694286)
Just like one cannot see Hamilton or Jesus Christ Superstar live with the original cast anymore. So one choses to see them with different players. I get that it's not your cup of tea, but it's far from pointless, so please stop making stupid analogies.

Not a perfect parallel. Unlike the original Pink Floyd lineup, the original cast of Jesus Christ Superstar did not write Jesus Christ Superstar, they weren't full creative partners in the enterprise, they were contract workers.

(Hamilton is halfway in between because the main star was in fact the creator. And guess what? I bet that many, many people would far prefer to see Miranda in the role than some other guy.)
   3690. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: June 18, 2018 at 11:01 AM (#5694288)
And guess what? I bet that many, many people would far prefer to see Miranda in the role than some other guy.)

Oh sure. But that's different from saying it's sad and pointless to go see Hamilton today.
   3691. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: June 18, 2018 at 11:01 AM (#5694290)
What's wrong with cover bands (is this something I need to trace the conversation back to understand)?

I certainly wouldn't pay top dollar to see any cover band, but I've seen more than a few at various small venues/bars that are quite good for the 10 bucks the door fee costs... I'm not a huge Dead fan, but Uncle John's Band, for example has been enjoyable... I've also Cheap Trick tribute band Cheap Chick a few times and they're pretty good.

I used to love going to the Empty Bottle for their Halloween shows - not cover bands per se, but local acts each take an artist and do a set of their hits and it's always been awesome.
   3692. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: June 18, 2018 at 11:05 AM (#5694294)
(is this something I need to trace the conversation back to understand)?

I posted that I went to, and enjoyed a Brit Floyd show. Apparently that makes me history's greatest monster.
   3693. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: June 18, 2018 at 11:08 AM (#5694299)
the original cast of Jesus Christ Superstar did not write Jesus Christ Superstar,
Jesus Christ never should have written that musical.
   3694. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: June 18, 2018 at 11:16 AM (#5694302)
In Chicago there is a band called Tributosaurus. They're all incredible musicians, and for each show (sometimes monthly, sometimes less regularly) they pick a band to celebrate. Looks like The Band is up next, but they've also done everyone from CSNY to James Brown to the Who to Steely Dan to Michael Jackson. They've done the entire Beatles catalog in a series of shows. There is the core band, and then for each show they get various of their musician friends to sit in, either people who are particular fans of the artist or needed for specialized skills (Indian musicians for the Beatles, for example). It's a bunch of fantastic musicians celebrating and geeking out on songs they love. Anyone who sh*ts on that has a problem.
   3695. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: June 18, 2018 at 11:17 AM (#5694303)
What's wrong with cover bands (is this something I need to trace the conversation back to understand)?

Nothing at all. The whole thing seems to be a gatekeeping exercise designed to denigrate unapproved expressions of fandom. The whole sub-thread is depressing in the amazing judgementalism expressed by some.
   3696. Lassus Posted: June 18, 2018 at 11:23 AM (#5694308)
Why are being such an ####### about this?

It's kind of his thing, but don't hold it against him.

I mean, I've withdrawn from the classical music portion of this debate because it's too depressing, but a good show is a good show, full stop. Because gef's taste stops at The Fall just shows his limitations, not yours.

I think I would actually prefer a cover Pink Floyd show to the real thing because they area able to put a laser-like focus on the product.

I posted that I went to, and enjoyed a Brit Floyd show. Apparently that makes me history's greatest monster.

No, that wasn't it, it was comparing it to an orchestra. :-D
   3697. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: June 18, 2018 at 11:26 AM (#5694315)
I will say this, though: For me there is a line between playing an artist's songs and the "all-in" tribute bands who try to look and act as much as possible like the artist/group. The latter seems kind of strange and unnecessary to me, especially in cases where the artist/group doesn't have a totally distinctive "look" like the Beatles or KISS. Like, for a U2 cover band, I just don't see the need for the guitarist to wear the Edge hat and the singer to wear the Bono shades, when they otherwise look nothing like them.

I've certainly seen and enjoyed dead-on Beatles tribute bands, and the way they get the stage mannerisms just right is impressive in its own way I suppose. Even more so the guys who learn how to play bass left-handed to do the McCartney role. But to me it just doesn't add much value beyond getting the songs down.
   3698. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: June 18, 2018 at 11:26 AM (#5694316)
In Chicago there is a band called Tributosaurus.

There is a concert series called Classic Albums Live which put-on shows of, well, classic rock albums. I saw them do Stevie Ray Vaughn's Texas Flood at the Hard Rock in Universal Studios Orlando. I see on their schedule that there will be a show in Ocala doing The White Album when I will be up there moving my son into his dorm in Gainesville, so I'll probably check it out.

That's sure to make gef's head asplode.
   3699. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: June 18, 2018 at 11:30 AM (#5694317)

Ah, I see.

I saw Roger Waters do the Wall at Wrigley and I gotta say - I think I'd almost prefer to see a Floyd tribute band... I mean, it was a spectacle, to be sure, but it was more multimedia than music.

I suppose that's maybe par for the course for any band 'big' enough to fill a stadium - and perhaps there's a bit of snobbery in preferring band that work smaller venues over the mega bands who do arenas... but still.

Just thinking through 'big' acts I've seen live, I think maybe Springsteen is the only one I'd say I really loved live. Prior to that... yeesh. Maybe the Stones a good 20+ years ago?
   3700. Lassus Posted: June 18, 2018 at 11:34 AM (#5694320)
I'm not sure I would see a tribute band for a favorite act. I have loved various Pink Floyd tunes throughout the years but they were never a massive favorite. I think a Beatlemania act would be odd and disconcerting. I wouldn't be able to see, like, a MADNESS tribute ska band, probably.

Now, I do think a popular band that refuses on principle to do any covers of other bands are totally lame and self-important.
Page 37 of 39 pages ‹ First  < 35 36 37 38 39 > 

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Andere Richtingen
for his generous support.