Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Saturday, April 21, 2018

OT - Catch-All Pop Culture Extravaganza (April - June 2018)

The following is previously unseen rehearsal footage of Prince & The Revolution from the summer of 1984.

It was in this very room at Flying Cloud Drive Warehouse in Eden Prairie, Minnesota that Prince created and committed to tape one of his most beloved and iconic compositions, which six years later would become a worldwide hit for Sinead O’Connor.

Prince’s original studio version of ‘Nothing Compares 2 U’ is presented here for the first time.

Trial to see if there’s sufficient support to make this a thing.

Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: April 21, 2018 at 02:32 PM | 3812 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: movies, music, off-topic, television, whatever else belongs under the rubric of 'popular culture'

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 38 of 39 pages ‹ First  < 36 37 38 39 > 
   3701. Lassus Posted: June 18, 2018 at 11:36 AM (#5694323)
I'm not sure I would see a tribute band for a favorite act. I have loved various Pink Floyd tunes throughout the years but they were never a massive favorite. I think a Beatlemania act would be odd and disconcerting. I wouldn't be able to see, like, a MADNESS tribute ska band, probably.

Now, I do think a popular band that refuses on principle to do any covers of other bands are totally lame and self-important.
   3702. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: June 18, 2018 at 11:38 AM (#5694325)
Now, I do think a popular band that refuses on principle to do any covers of other bands are totally lame and self-important.
A couple of the guys in my band host what is probably by now the longest-running weekly open mic in Chicago. As you would expect, the skill level of the performers varies widely, and it's probably more covers than originals all things considered, but some people play originals and some a mix of both. Every so often you get some arrogant young kid who says he doesn't know how to play *any* covers because he just writes his OWN stuff, man.

That kid is a douche.
   3703. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: June 18, 2018 at 11:54 AM (#5694340)
I like tribute acts that add something to the experience, like Lez Zeppelin, Hell's Belles, or El Vez. Sad that Elvis Herselvis is no longer touring, she was great.
   3704. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: June 18, 2018 at 12:06 PM (#5694344)
I had to check out the Lez Zeppelin website...no mention of whether or not being a lesbian is a requirement for joining the band. But they do say this:

THE GROUP’S SECOND LP, LEZ ZEPPELIN I, IS AN AUTHENTIC RE-MAKE OF LED ZEPPELIN’S FIRST ALBUM, USING THE VERY SAME VINTAGE EQUIPMENT EMPLOYED BY LED IN 1968.

That seems a bit over the top. Seeing a tribute band for a band that no longer tours is one thing, but I don't think I would necessarily need or want to hear an album recreated by the tribute band. I'm sure it was fun for them though.
   3705. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: June 18, 2018 at 12:09 PM (#5694347)
I had to check out the Lez Zeppelin website...no mention of whether or not being a lesbian is a requirement for joining the band.

I assumed so, since I learned about them from a group of lesbian friends in Colorado. They didn't know about Elvis Herselvis so it was a fair trade.
   3706. Don August(us) Cesar Geronimo Berroa Posted: June 18, 2018 at 12:12 PM (#5694350)
i saw Brit Floyd a few years ago. They put on an excellent show.
   3707. Omineca Greg Posted: June 18, 2018 at 12:13 PM (#5694351)
One summer evening drunk to hell, I stood there nearly lifeless. An old man in the corner sang.

And that old man was Billy Cowsill.

And it wasn't actually Summer, it was December.

After a hard night of wandering the streets of Vancouver, drinking vodka and coke from Super Big Gulp cups, we had wandered into a pub, as our vodka supply had run out. Much to our approval, Billy Cowsill was doing a show, this was in 1988, so I was 19, just legal drinking age. Billy was pretty good, but not exactly inspired, going through the motions kind of thing. He was covering a wide range of pop songs, every song a well-known classic. I'm not sure he was too much better than a regular bar band, but we were having a good time.

After a few songs, I realised something. Every single song was sung originally by someone who was dead. Jim Morrison, Sam Cooke, Elvis. After awhile, I realised it was too consistent to be a fluke (Lennon songs, but not McCartney or Harrison or Ringo, that sort of thing.) And sure enough, just before the break, Billy took the mic, "Thank you. Thank you. Welcome to The Morgue. Every month or two we work up a set up that's nothing but dead people. That's why you're not going to hear any originals tonight" [whining from the crowd], "Thank you. Next week. Next week. Come next week if you want to hear some originals. But, as you may have heard, there was a big death in the music world last week, so it's your lucky day. Not lucky for the dead guy, but lucky for you, because we have some new material that we've worked out, and you're going to be the first to hear it, lucky for you. We're going for a break, so you can pound back some drinks, go for a smoke, whatever, but make sure you're back in half an hour. You won't want to miss this."

Well, how could we head home after that? Everyone knew who it was going to be, it had been massive news. December '88. Got any guesses?

Billy comes back out, and he's wearing these sunglasses.

And the band tears into "Pretty Woman". Billy's strutting around the stage, working the crowd. It was probably just the backstage coke that had got him pumped up, but I like to pretend it was artistic inspiration, because he was like a totally different performer. The audience were slowly swaying to the sad ones, and dancing and bopping up and down to the fast ones, and then he came to the last song of the set. The band laid out, just Billy and his guitar, and he sweetly crooned Roy's classic Christmas song...

Pretty paper, pretty ribbons of blue
Wrap your presents to your darling from you
Pretty pencils to write I love you

Crowded street, busy feet, hustle by him
Downtown shoppers, Christmas is nigh
There he sits all alone on the sidewalk
Hoping that you won't pass him by

Should you stop? Better not, much too busy
You're in a hurry, my how time does fly
In the distance the ringing of laughter
And in the midst of the laughter he cries

Wrap your presents to your darling from you
Pretty pencils to write I love you

Nelson

What a moment! Standing ovation, and what had started as an ironic piss-take by an over the hill bar band singer, had turned into a triumph. Or at least it seemed that way to my 19 year old drunk self at the time.

Anyway, Billy Cowsill died in 2006, so now, finally his songs are eligible for "The Morgue", the irony being that now that he's dead, there's no one doing such a perverse thing.

Until now.

Here it is, he didn't write it, but he sang it, and once I post this I'm going to tap the link and belt this one out. You don't have to if you don't want to, but I suggest you do. Come on, it'll be fun. A one...a two...a three...

I saw her sitting in the rain...
   3708. Don August(us) Cesar Geronimo Berroa Posted: June 18, 2018 at 12:14 PM (#5694352)
I like tribute acts that add something to the experience, like Lez Zeppelin, Hell's Belles, or El Vez. Sad that Elvis Herselvis is no longer touring, she was great.

Iron Maidens
   3709. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: June 18, 2018 at 12:23 PM (#5694361)
And that old man was Billy Cowsill.
According to Wiki, Billy Cowsill was 40 years old in December 1988.
   3710. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: June 18, 2018 at 12:24 PM (#5694363)
Bojack Horseman is probably the best adult-oriented animated series out there. I was late to the party but it really is a very well-written and well-acted show, and probably the best depiction of depression and mental illness on television.

Cosign a million times. Bojack is both hilarious and heartbreaking.
   3711. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: June 18, 2018 at 12:25 PM (#5694365)
Here it is, he didn't write it, but he sang it, and once I post this I'm going to tap the link and belt this one out. You don't have to if you don't want to, but I suggest you do. Come on, it'll be fun. A one...a two...a three...

I did it. It made me happy. Happy. HAPPY!
   3712. Omineca Greg Posted: June 18, 2018 at 12:25 PM (#5694366)
According to Wiki, Billy Cowsill was 40 years old in December 1988.

When I was 19, that was old.
   3713. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: June 18, 2018 at 12:36 PM (#5694377)

I saw her sitting in the rain...
Man, that producer was trying hard to be Brian Wilson.
   3714. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: June 18, 2018 at 12:49 PM (#5694392)
Man, that producer was trying hard to be Brian Wilson.

Just about as hard as the Partridge Family was trying to be The Cowsills.
   3715. Omineca Greg Posted: June 18, 2018 at 12:49 PM (#5694394)
I did it. It made me happy. Happy. HAPPY!

I knew, I knew, I knew, I knew, I knew it would.
   3716. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: June 18, 2018 at 12:49 PM (#5694395)
Bojack Horseman is probably the best adult-oriented animated series out there. I was late to the party but it really is a very well-written and well-acted show, and probably the best depiction of depression and mental illness on television.

Cosign a million times. Bojack is both hilarious and heartbreaking.

We're in a golden age of adult-targeted animation and I'm very happy people have realized that animation is just a storytelling medium and doesn't have to be tethered to "kid stuff". I do think Bojack is the best of the bunch (it can be a bit inaccessible in the beginning but give it some time) but there's other stuff out there worth checking out. "F is for Family" on Netflix is quite funny but also a bit on the heavy side as befits its adult-targeted demographic. That other Netflix animated series about the kids going through puberty ("Big Mouth") is also fairly funny (and added "mons-pusher" to my vocabulary) although I find the art direction unpleasant (although the worst offended is the TBS animated series "The Tarantula" whose characters are so ugly it's a distraction from some funny material).

Of course the most exciting news for me is that there are discussions to bring back "King of the Hill", which was the best animated show on TV for nearly a decade. Hank Hill is the man everyone should aspire to be.
   3717. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: June 18, 2018 at 12:53 PM (#5694398)
Any discussion on adult-themed animated shows that doesn't acknowledge Bob's Burgers is fatally flawed.

It continues an astonishing run of high-quality.
   3718. McCoy Posted: June 18, 2018 at 12:53 PM (#5694399)
Venture Bros.
   3719. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: June 18, 2018 at 12:58 PM (#5694405)
Any discussion on adult-themed animated shows that doesn't acknowledge Bob's Burgers is fatally flawed.

It continues an astonishing run of high-quality.

Bob's Burgers is still a very fun show but it isn't of the same quality as the first few seasons. This reflects what I assume is an intentional effort to be more mass-market friendly, so don't expect to see new episodes where Bob picks up transvestite hookers and does crack with them. You CAN expect more "Wacky Neighbor Teddy" episodes though, no shortage of those the last few years.

I like Bob's Burgers (I have a Bugrer Boss Bob on my desk at work) but I do see a decline in quality and their willingness to push the boundaries of prime time animation content.
   3720. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: June 18, 2018 at 01:11 PM (#5694416)
I should watch more non-baseball TV. I like Bobs Burgers and BoJack. I did think King of the Hill was good.
   3721. PreservedFish Posted: June 18, 2018 at 01:13 PM (#5694417)
We're in a golden age of adult-targeted animation and I'm very happy people have realized that animation is just a storytelling medium and doesn't have to be tethered to "kid stuff".

Me too. It's pretty much all I watch lately. Adventure Time is my fave. I guess it just ended, but I'm a few seasons back anyway.
   3722. Lassus Posted: June 18, 2018 at 01:32 PM (#5694434)
As a voracious comic-book reader something happened with some switch in my head somewhere where I have no interest in animation. I was all-in on 90s Simpsons and Akira, and... that was basically it. It's odd and almost embarrassing.
   3723. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: June 18, 2018 at 01:39 PM (#5694445)
Bob's Burgers is still a very fun show but it isn't of the same quality as the first few seasons. This reflects what I assume is an intentional effort to be more mass-market friendly, so don't expect to see new episodes where Bob picks up transvestite hookers and does crack with them. You CAN expect more "Wacky Neighbor Teddy" episodes though, no shortage of those the last few years.

I'd wholly disagree. Gayle's one-woman show ending season 7 was wholly in line with the best they've ever done and I thought season 8 had some real winners, too.

It's inevitable that a show needs to branch out and incorporate its secondary characters - there's only so many ways you can spin sibling rivalries or Bob & Linda struggle with parenting. I'm wholly on board with more Teddy.
   3724. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: June 18, 2018 at 01:42 PM (#5694449)
Gail is the most annoying character in television history.
   3725. The Good Face Posted: June 18, 2018 at 01:47 PM (#5694455)
For those that can stomach anime, I was super impressed with One Punch Man. The hilarious and poignant adventures of a man who wants to become a superhero, succeeds beyond his wildest dreams, then struggles with depression and ennui. Season one is available on Netflix and season two should be coming late this summer.

It's perfectly good and watchable cold, but it delights in taking the piss out of all the various stale tropes that afflict anime/manga, so if you're familiar with them you'll enjoy it on another level.
   3726. Greg K Posted: June 18, 2018 at 02:38 PM (#5694510)
I was watching Mermaids the other day, which I have seen many times. But this was the first time since Bob's Burgers started, and it really struck me that Winona Ryder's character is pretty close to Tina.
   3727. Howie Menckel Posted: June 18, 2018 at 03:50 PM (#5694621)
as if you knuckleheads needed another reason to drive across New Jersey, a bill was introduced in Trenton to establish the Anthony Bourdain Food Trail in homage to the late chef's 2015 episode featuring his beloved state.

problem is, it's not much of a trail. you'd go from Hiram's Roadstand in Fort Lee (neighboring town of his Leonia), then drive more than an hour to a couple of Barnegat eateries and another in Asbury Park, down the Shore. other than that, it's 4 places way down in Atlantic City and two in scenic Camden. I suppose one does get a couple of lengthy breaks to absorb all that grub...

the list:

Kubel’s in Barnegat Light; Hiram’s Roadstand in Fort Lee; Knife and Fork in Atlantic City; Dock’s Oyster House in Atlantic City; Tony’s Baltimore Grill in Atlantic City; Tony and Ruth Steaks in Camden; Donkey’s Place in Camden; Lucille’s Country Cooking in Barnegat; Frank’s Deli in Asbury Park and James’ Salt Water Taffy in Atlantic City.
   3728. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: June 18, 2018 at 04:09 PM (#5694645)
Hiram's Roadstand in Fort Lee

Is Callahan's still across the street? Weren't they owned by the same family?
   3729. Hysterical & Useless Posted: June 18, 2018 at 04:12 PM (#5694648)
James’ Salt Water Taffy in Atlantic City.

There's good fudge in Cape May. Well, there always was every time we went there, but it's been 10 years I guess. Might be stale by now.

ETA: Make the trail all the service areas on the Joisey Pike. They got Cinnabon!
   3730. Lassus Posted: June 19, 2018 at 08:21 AM (#5694990)
Like tomato pie in Utica, do they actually eat salt-water taffy anywhere but the Jersey shore?
   3731. McCoy Posted: June 19, 2018 at 10:14 AM (#5695069)
They eat tomato pie in Philadelphia.
   3732. Lassus Posted: June 19, 2018 at 10:23 AM (#5695082)

And they eat saltwater taffy in Utah, I did know that. Sort of the exception proving the rule, though, IMO.
   3733. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: June 19, 2018 at 10:48 AM (#5695109)
Finally finished Wool, on to the next novel in the series, Shift. I would say that it was worth the effort and, despite one glaring ex machina, a consistent and believable construct. Still interested in seeing where it goes.
   3734. McCoy Posted: June 19, 2018 at 10:49 AM (#5695111)
Sort of the exception proving the rule, though, IMO

That's not what that saying means and on its face it would make any sense anyway for this situation.
   3735. PreservedFish Posted: June 19, 2018 at 10:54 AM (#5695116)
I didn't understand the true meaning of the phrase "exception that proves the rule" until some years ago when a BTF discussion centered on it. I had thought it was just a stupid, wordy, unnecessary way to say "that's an exception." Many people do use it that way, maybe even most people. I have no position on Lassus' use because I don't even know what tomato pie is.
   3736. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: June 19, 2018 at 11:18 AM (#5695138)

My wife makes a good tomato pie.
   3737. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: June 19, 2018 at 11:32 AM (#5695152)
I have no position on Lassus' use because I don't even know what tomato pie is.

I feel like it's similar to Sicilian pizza without mozzarella cheese
   3738. Lassus Posted: June 19, 2018 at 11:33 AM (#5695155)
I have no position on Lassus' use

The Wikipedia entry is wordy.

The way I have understood and just used the expression means that an exchange such as
Do they only eat salt water taffy on the NJ shore?
No, they sell it in certain locations in Utah and you can special order it on the internet.
implies that the rule - or overwhelming trend - is that yes, it is only eaten on the NJ shore. The fact that the answer isn't seven distribution centers in three out of four time zones bears out the small exception proving the initial point ("rule") of it almost entirely being sold in one location.

I can also accept this is completely wrong. It seems to make good sense in my opinion. -shrug-

3739. Lassus Posted: June 19, 2018 at 11:35 AM (#5695159)

because I don't even know what tomato pie is.

I'd rather not discuss it, primarily due to the quality of Misirlou's wife's making of same as referenced above.

I am... not entirely in favor of it as defining local cuisine.
   3740. PreservedFish Posted: June 19, 2018 at 11:41 AM (#5695163)
For the record, I think they have salt water taffy at every cheesy old-timey beach attraction and many cheesy old-timey non-beach attractions. For example, I recall seeing it in Old Sacramento, where you can also buy a photo of yourself in a Wild West "Wanted: Dead or Alive" poster. I bet there are as many states with as without.
   3741. McCoy Posted: June 19, 2018 at 11:45 AM (#5695172)
The exception that proves the rule basically means if you come across say a sign that says parking allowed from 2pm to 4pm on Tuesdays that means parking is not allowed the rest of the time. Nowadays you won't find signs like that as we are a more precise society than the old Roman times but we do have the 9th amendment to protect us against this saying as well.

Your use would be the modern usage which is based on not really understanding the phrase just like "I could care less". Neither usage makes any kind of sense when examined based on the context of how they are being used.

Tomato Pie is a NE old world Italian thing. It is not unique to Utica as this article reveals.
   3742. Lassus Posted: June 19, 2018 at 11:45 AM (#5695175)
I bet there are as many states with as without.

This, while more than just the Jersey shore, doesn't necessary make it up to half the states in the union:
Salt water taffy is still sold widely on the boardwalks in Atlantic City (including shops in existence since the 1800s),[6] nearby island Ocean City, and other popular beaches throughout the United States, especially Cape Cod, and Atlantic Canada, as well as in Salt Lake City, Utah. Taffy is also distributed throughout the U.S. to some specialty shops and markets, and other places where an especially wide and diverse variety of candy is sold. It is also available for mail order through Internet sources.
   3743. PreservedFish Posted: June 19, 2018 at 11:48 AM (#5695182)
Well, "other popular beaches throughout the United States" could be a lot of places. I had no idea it was a Jersey thing, I just thought it was a beach thing.
   3744. Lassus Posted: June 19, 2018 at 11:48 AM (#5695183)
Neither usage makes any kind of sense when examined based on the context of how they are being used.

I'd be legitimately curious if PF - who I consider rather evenly judgmental (compliment!) - would agree my #3738 doesn't make any kind of sense.
   3745. McCoy Posted: June 19, 2018 at 11:53 AM (#5695190)
I'd be legitimately curious if PF - who I consider rather evenly judgmental (compliment!) would agree my #3738 doesn't make any kind of sense.

It makes sense if you say to yourself they are using this saying wrong but I know what they mean and I accept that the only place they really make tomato pie is in Utica.

3746. Lassus Posted: June 19, 2018 at 11:54 AM (#5695195)
I already know what you think, McCoy, which is why I didn't ask you to explain it some more. And I already accepted the correction in usage.

Anything else?
   3747. PreservedFish Posted: June 19, 2018 at 12:00 PM (#5695201)
3738 does make sense.

A: "Nobody eats corn on pizza except for the Japanese."
B: "My weird uncle Harold likes corn on pizza."
A: "Kind of the exception that proves the rule, huh?"

Yes, I understand. The "rule" is that corn on pizza is extremely rare. That some other bizarre outlier also enjoys corn on pizza only disproves the "rule" if you take a miserly pedantic interpretation of the phrase.

But it didn't make sense to mewhen you first used it in 3732.
   3748. McCoy Posted: June 19, 2018 at 12:01 PM (#5695203)
Anything else?

Yeah, I didn't agree with the statement which is why clarified. You quoted me to make your statement.
   3749. Howie Menckel Posted: June 19, 2018 at 12:14 PM (#5695225)
Is Callahan's still across the street?

the Fort Lee Callahan's closed, but now there is one up the road up 9W in Norwood - plus a few food trucks in the area
   3750. My name is Votto, and I love to get blotto Posted: June 19, 2018 at 12:20 PM (#5695238)
In Chicago there is a band called Tributosaurus. They're all incredible musicians, and for each show (sometimes monthly, sometimes less regularly) they pick a band to celebrate.

There's a similar squad in Atlanta. Each show is a re-creation of a specific classic album, the ones I've been to are really fun.
   3751. Swoboda is freedom Posted: June 19, 2018 at 12:44 PM (#5695272)

There's a similar squad in Atlanta. Each show is a re-creation of a specific classic album, the ones I've been to are really fun.

A couple of years ago, I went and saw Chicago and Earth Wind and Fire. They each had 2-3 guys from the original band. That really isn't much different from a tribute band.

BTW Earth Wind and Fire still rocked it. Phillip Bailey can still sing. Chicago wasn't as good. It is amazing how poorly the Peter Cetera ballads have aged. Not that I liked them in the first place.
   3752. Don August(us) Cesar Geronimo Berroa Posted: June 19, 2018 at 12:56 PM (#5695288)
A couple of years ago, I went and saw Chicago and Earth Wind and Fire. They each had 2-3 guys from the original band. That really isn't much different from a tribute band.

By the end, was there any original member left in the Allman Brothers Band, other than Gregg? Were they the Allman Brothers Band, or an Allman Brothers Band cover band?

3753. Nasty Nate Posted: June 19, 2018 at 01:17 PM (#5695310)
By the end, was there any original member left in the Allman Brothers Band, other than Gregg?
Yes - the 2 drummers.
Were they the Allman Brothers Band, or an Allman Brothers Band cover band?
Funnily enough, in their later years they probably played fewer Allman Brothers song than cover bands of them did (if such bands existed), given that they mostly dropped the Dickey Betts songs and played many covers.
   3754. Don August(us) Cesar Geronimo Berroa Posted: June 19, 2018 at 01:31 PM (#5695336)
Funnily enough, in their later years they probably played fewer Allman Brothers song than cover bands of them did (if such bands existed), given that they mostly dropped the Dickey Betts songs and played many covers.

Ha, I did not know that. That is kinda funny

If you put Allman Brothers Tribute band in Google, you get 6 tribute bands on the front page.

The Peacheaters

Tribute

Live at the Fillmore
   3755. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: June 19, 2018 at 01:37 PM (#5695347)
the Fort Lee Callahan's closed

That's a bummer. Dad used to take us on the way to Mets games.
   3756. Cowboy Popup Posted: June 19, 2018 at 03:30 PM (#5695470)
For those that can stomach anime, I was super impressed with One Punch Man.

Cosign. I blew it off for more than a year, the premise sounded lame. And then I watched it and wow. Everything you said plus the art work is stunning.

As for other "live" anime, FLCL is back which is not something I ever expected. I haven't seen the new one but the first series is a crowning achievement in animation. Only 6 episodes.

Attack on Titan season 1 sucked terribly but if you already sat through it, season 2 is incredible. It takes everything 1 did wrong (cutting up the action with pointless, long winded and redundant inner-monloguing was the worst but there were many other offenses) and flipped it. So now it's a fast paced, gripping, sophisticated fantasy/action piece like it is supposed to be. Maybe the directors watched One Punch Man and took notes.

I've found Netflix's original anime to be really disappointing. I think Castlevania was the best of the lot and that was a four episode prelude that barely introduced the main character. Everything else has been unwatchable. Any recs?

On the U.S. side, Big Mouth, mentioned above, is great. I don't know that I've laughed more at a character, based strictly on laughs per second on screen, as I have at the Sex Monster.
   3757. Cowboy Popup Posted: June 19, 2018 at 03:50 PM (#5695481)
I should clarify that my last paragraph is strictly about Netflix U.S. animation and that I forgot Bojack was on netflix.

I like all the other ones mentioned above except F is for Family, which I haven't seen.

The most recent season of Archer was the best they have had in a while.
   3758. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: June 19, 2018 at 03:57 PM (#5695488)
By the end, was there any original member left in the Allman Brothers Band, other than Gregg? Were they the Allman Brothers Band, or an Allman Brothers Band cover band?

Despite losing all other founding members, and then all of their replacements by 1970, Kim Simmonds still tours as Savoy Brown. Their Wiki page lists 60 former members.
   3759. Don August(us) Cesar Geronimo Berroa Posted: June 19, 2018 at 04:15 PM (#5695502)
Despite losing all other founding members, and then all of their replacements by 1970, Kim Simmonds still tours as Savoy Brown. Their Wiki page lists 60 former members.

Quiet Riot still tours as Quiet Riot, even though there are NO founding members left in the band. Frankie Banali joined the band as drummer in 1980. He is the only member left from their Metal Health lineup.

edit: course, 2 of their 3 biggest hits were covers of another band, so.... you basically have a Quiet Riot cover band, covering Quiet Riot hits of cover songs.
   3760. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: June 19, 2018 at 04:31 PM (#5695513)
Quiet Riot still tours as Quiet Riot, even though there are NO founding members left in the band. Frankie Banali joined the band as drummer in 1980. He is the only member left from their Metal Health lineup.

On the flipside, ZZ Top has been the same 3 guys since 1969.
   3761. Cowboy Popup Posted: June 19, 2018 at 04:33 PM (#5695516)
Three Dog Night is touring. I think they have one and a half original members left standing.
   3762. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: June 19, 2018 at 04:43 PM (#5695528)
Three Dog Night is touring. I think they have one and a half original members left standing.

Lordy. I saw them at the Garfield County (OK) Fair in 1987. I figured that had to be the last step on their way to the retirement home.
   3763. McCoy Posted: June 19, 2018 at 05:00 PM (#5695557)
Garbage is currently touring and they are doing so because it has been 20 years since Garbage 2.0 so they will be playing the full album live and for some reason doing two nights in DC.
   3764. Hysterical & Useless Posted: June 19, 2018 at 05:18 PM (#5695572)
The exception that proves the rule

This is one of those old phrases that probably shouldn't be used anymore. "Prove" nowadays of course means "demonstrates" or "gives conclusive evidence of." But anciently, it meant "tests," so the phrase means something like "This exception shows the limits of this rule."

I leave to others the task of deciding whether any given usage is "correct."

Quiet Riot still tours as Quiet Riot, even though there are NO founding members left in the band.

The old joke about George Washington's hatchet, come to life!
   3765. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: June 19, 2018 at 07:06 PM (#5695624)
I saw Garbage last summer maybe it was before that. They had a pretty good set.
   3766. McCoy Posted: June 19, 2018 at 07:14 PM (#5695627)
This is one of those old phrases that probably shouldn't be used anymore. "Prove" nowadays of course means "demonstrates" or "gives conclusive evidence of." But anciently, it meant "tests," so the phrase means something like "This exception shows the limits of this rule."

I leave to others the task of deciding whether any given usage is "correct."

Not exactly. The old Latin saying translates into the exception confirms the rule in cases not excepted. So to use the no parking from 2pm to 4pm on Tuesday sign example the exception shows that there is parking allowed the rest of the time. The exception confirms the rule that there is parking at all other times beside Tuesday between the hours of 2pm to 4pm.
   3767. McCoy Posted: June 19, 2018 at 07:16 PM (#5695629)
I saw Garbage last summer maybe it was before that. They had a pretty good set.

Saw them in Dallas in the winter of 1996/1997 opening for The Smashing Pumpkins the sound in the arena was absolutely horrible. Couldn't hear Shirley at all and could barely decipher what songs were being performed. I take that back, I had no idea what songs were performed. That's how bad the sound was. Left after their set with my ears ringing and they didn't stop ringing for about an hour or two.
   3768. Swoboda is freedom Posted: June 20, 2018 at 04:30 AM (#5695885)

How do you have a 1/2 member? Is this like the drummer from Def Leppard?
   3769. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: June 20, 2018 at 06:07 AM (#5695889)
He’s in the band but he isn’t trying very hard.
   3770. Hot Wheeling American, MS-13 Enthusiast Posted: June 20, 2018 at 06:49 AM (#5695897)
Any discussion of bands surviving without original members is incomplete without a listen to this interview with the front man for Old Skull.
   3771. Fernigal McGunnigle Posted: June 20, 2018 at 07:25 AM (#5695902)
I've always wondered why there aren't a lot of bands that are co-ops, where there's a general idea of that the band does ("we play prog rock") and then a fluid membership that comes and goes. Usually a band with a fluid membership like this is a vehicle for one person, with the rest of the band being made up of whoever he hasn't fired or goaded into quitting. Something like the Fall. Or it's something completely unserious, like a band that gathers for some annual covers show or something. I'm thinking more of a Ship of Theseus sort of band, where there's an idea that no one will try to stick around forever, and when someone leaves the rest of the band just get a replacement and carry on. There would be an institutional memory, but the band would also always be fresh.

It hits me that I basically want to reinvent Menudo.
   3772. PreservedFish Posted: June 20, 2018 at 09:05 AM (#5695926)
There must be bands like that. Will the Sun Ra Arkestra survive leader Marshall Allen?

Fleetwood Mac is interesting too. The only permanent members have few songwriting credits.
   3773. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: June 20, 2018 at 09:33 AM (#5695953)
I've always wondered why there aren't a lot of bands that are co-ops, where there's a general idea of that the band does ("we play prog rock") and then a fluid membership that comes and goes. Usually a band with a fluid membership like this is a vehicle for one person, with the rest of the band being made up of whoever he hasn't fired or goaded into quitting. Something like the Fall. Or it's something completely unserious, like a band that gathers for some annual covers show or something. I'm thinking more of a Ship of Theseus sort of band, where there's an idea that no one will try to stick around forever, and when someone leaves the rest of the band just get a replacement and carry on. There would be an institutional memory, but the band would also always be fresh.

I think the New Pornographers are a bit like this - just without the rancor... members don't leave so much as drop out for an album or so. Bejar's currently 'inactive'. Kathryn Calder basically started as a Neko Case fill-in - now a full member (and pretty influential on last year's Whiteout Conditions). Newman has lately seemed a sort of "first among equals", but by no means would I call it 'his' band.
   3774. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: June 20, 2018 at 09:39 AM (#5695961)
Other examples would include both of Slash's side efforts - especially the Snakepit, which really was a revolving door of people Slash liked to play with.

There's also Ringo's traveling roadshow ("Ringo Starr & His All-Starr Band") - but they're really just a tour band... I don't think they've ever done anything but live albums.
   3775. Don August(us) Cesar Geronimo Berroa Posted: June 20, 2018 at 10:10 AM (#5695985)
The old joke about George Washington's hatchet, come to life!

Is that similar to, say... The USS Constitution has been in existence since 1797. Over the last 221 years, every piece of that ship has been replaced. Is it still the USS Constitution, or a replica of the original USS Constitution?

edit: I guess this is the Ship of Theseus paradox mentioned by Fernigal. An icy-cold Coke to you, good sir!
   3776. Swoboda is freedom Posted: June 20, 2018 at 10:30 AM (#5695998)
There's also Ringo's traveling roadshow ("Ringo Starr & His All-Starr Band") - but they're really just a tour band... I don't think they've ever done anything but live albums.

From my understanding, that is where the money is now. Touring makes money, while recording doesn't. Also real players like the gigs while recording is boring. I guess the touring part is not so much fun, but I guess Ringo is going first class and not travelling in a van.
   3777. Don August(us) Cesar Geronimo Berroa Posted: June 20, 2018 at 10:37 AM (#5696006)
Touring makes money, while recording doesn't.

To bring this back to Brit Floyd, they had a huge merchandise stand, selling Brit Floyd tshirts for $35-$50, just like a "real" band and lots of people buying.
   3778. PreservedFish Posted: June 20, 2018 at 10:43 AM (#5696016)
Could you imagine paying for new music from Ringo Starr? I couldn't. He wasn't worth listening to in the 70s. But yeah, I'd go see him in concert, why the hell not.

Who is the oldest rock musician to release an actually compelling album? Bob Dylan has some excellent late efforts, obviously.
   3779. jmurph Posted: June 20, 2018 at 10:54 AM (#5696028)
Who is the oldest rock musician to release an actually compelling album? Bob Dylan has some excellent late efforts, obviously.

Springsteen is old enough to qualify here, right? There's generally a couple decent songs on each of his last few records.
   3780. Lassus Posted: June 20, 2018 at 10:55 AM (#5696031)
Neil Young?
   3781. PreservedFish Posted: June 20, 2018 at 10:56 AM (#5696032)
generally a couple decent songs

I don't know if that meets the standard.

Neil Young?

I couldn't say, I haven't listened to anything new of his in 20 years probably.
   3782. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: June 20, 2018 at 10:56 AM (#5696035)
From my understanding, that is where the money is now. Touring makes money, while recording doesn't. Also real players like the gigs while recording is boring. I guess the touring part is not so much fun, but I guess Ringo is going first class and not travelling in a van.

A looonnnnggg time ago, when napster was still a thing, had a conversation with some buddies in a band that were trying to make it, about the impact of digital music delivery.

They were all completely nonplussed over the phenomenon - iTunes was brand new, most music downloads were still of the illegal file sharing variety, etc. They all considered it a net positive - distribution was becoming far easier and less record company controlled. Indeed - they specifically mentioned that the money (for bands at least) would just shift to live shows, something they all much approved of, even with the fact that concert promoters have about as much integrity as record company execs.

FWIW, on Ringo's band -- I've seen them several times. They used to (still do? Been a few years) do a regular stop at north suburban Chicago's Ravinia, which is pretty much a perfect venue for such a thing (it's an outdoor shell where the patrons are encouraged to bring their own coolers, picnics, etc). He always draws a pretty high quality level (and rather eclectic) of performers -- I've seen iterations with John Entwistle, Joe Walsh, Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker, Men at Work's Colin Hay, Todd Rundgren, virtually everyone from the E Street band, and plenty of others I'm forgetting. They're fun shows - they don't take it too seriously, the catalog tends to be diverse (Ringo standards, maybe a Beatles song or two - plus signature songs from whomever happens to be in the band at the moment... and they get a ton of "guests" who aren't part of the current touring iteration).
   3783. PreservedFish Posted: June 20, 2018 at 10:58 AM (#5696036)
I think some of Bowie's late albums are probably worth listening to, but I don't know if they're really great.

There are some indie/underground icons that keep releasing well-reviewed albums, such as Scott Walker.
   3784. Omineca Greg Posted: June 20, 2018 at 11:00 AM (#5696037)
Chuck Berry's last album, Chuck, is very good.

It was released in 2017 when he was just about to turn 80, but I think it was recorded over a period of time before that. So I don't know how much oldness you want to credit him with.
   3785. Nasty Nate Posted: June 20, 2018 at 11:00 AM (#5696038)
To bring this back to Brit Floyd, they had a huge merchandise stand, selling Brit Floyd tshirts for $35-$50, just like a "real" band and lots of people buying.
I can understand going to such a show and paying a high ticket price reflecting the venue/light-show/musicianship, but I'm struggling to relate to the idea of wanting to wear a tribute band t-shirt, never mind spending multiple dollars on one.
   3786. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: June 20, 2018 at 11:01 AM (#5696040)
Springsteen is old enough to qualify here, right? There's generally a couple decent songs on each of his last few records.

I'd go further than that - I think his last (High Hopes) got better reviews than the prior (Wrecking Ball), but I actually think Wrecking Ball is a great album. Sort of a mid-80s Born in the USA/The River throwback.
   3787. Don August(us) Cesar Geronimo Berroa Posted: June 20, 2018 at 11:05 AM (#5696042)

I can understand going to such a show and paying a high ticket price reflecting the venue/light-show/musicianship, but I'm struggling to relate to the idea of wanting to wear a tribute band t-shirt, never mind spending multiple dollars on one.

Yeah, exactly.
   3788. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: June 20, 2018 at 11:09 AM (#5696047)

To bring this back to Savoy Brown, Kim Simmonds is 70, and he released an album last year, but I wouldn't call it compelling. Voodoo Moon, released in 2011 is legitimately great, IMO.
   3789. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: June 20, 2018 at 11:09 AM (#5696048)
I'd go further than that - I think his last (High Hopes) got better reviews than the prior (Wrecking Ball), but I actually think Wrecking Ball is a great album. Sort of a mid-80s Born in the USA/The River throwback.
As much as I love Springsteen, I'm not a fan of either album. Yeah, there are a few good songs on each, but High Hopes is mostly covers/odds 'n' ends, and Wrecking Ball's reach far exceeds its grasp, IMO. Too much generic sloganeering rather than storytelling showing the struggles of identifiable characters. And don't get me started on "Easy Money." Unfortunately, with Bruce seeming to be settling into a comfy Broadway life, it looks like Magic might be his last compelling album for me. I certainly hope that's not the case.
   3790. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: June 20, 2018 at 11:16 AM (#5696055)
I think some of Bowie's late albums are probably worth listening to, but I don't know if they're really great.

There are some indie/underground icons that keep releasing well-reviewed albums, such as Scott Walker.

I thought Black Star was really good but a lot of that might be owed to the circumstances under which it was released. Scott Walker is awesome. Tom Petty's "Highway Companion" was a really good album but it came out in like 2006 I think. He was 56.
   3791. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: June 20, 2018 at 11:19 AM (#5696057)
Magic might be his last compelling album for me. I certainly hope that's not the case.

Magic was a nice surprise. I didn't expect much, I didn't think the last few before that were all that great. Solid comeback effort though.
   3792. Omineca Greg Posted: June 20, 2018 at 11:21 AM (#5696058)
Ian Hunter's Fingers Crossed is a good album, and it came out when Ian was 77.
   3793. PreservedFish Posted: June 20, 2018 at 11:26 AM (#5696065)
Leonard Cohen's last is supposed to be real good.
   3794. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: June 20, 2018 at 11:26 AM (#5696067)
Do Johnny Cash's American Recordings albums count? Not sure if covers albums are included, and Cash may not qualify as "rock," but they were damn good.
   3795. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: June 20, 2018 at 11:28 AM (#5696069)
Does Steve Earle count?

He's gotta be in his 60s - and I think his 20teens albums have been excellent, very much on par with his earlier stuff.
   3796. Crispix Attacksel Rios Posted: June 20, 2018 at 11:29 AM (#5696071)
My mom really liked Donovan's album "Beat Cafe" from 2004. And she's a person who tries to keep current, doesn't just listen to Boomer artists. I don't think she was even a Donovan fan until finding that album somehow. Looks like he was 58 at the time.

3797. PreservedFish Posted: June 20, 2018 at 11:35 AM (#5696078)
Do Johnny Cash's American Recordings albums count? Not sure if covers albums are included, and Cash may not qualify as "rock," but they were damn good.

I think it counts, but one does need to be careful to weigh the influence of the younger, hipper collaborator. Like, when Loretta Lynn released her first notable record in 25 years, was that really a Loretta Lynn album, or a Jack White album?
   3798. Omineca Greg Posted: June 20, 2018 at 11:39 AM (#5696083)
Does Steve Earle count?

I agree that his albums have been great, but I don't think he's old enough. He was born in '55, that's just not that old.

Johnny Cash always (and I mean always) seemed older than he was.
   3799. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: June 20, 2018 at 11:39 AM (#5696085)
Warren Zevon's last album was excellent, especially in context. Sadly he wasn't all that old - probably 54 when he recorded it.
   3800. Lassus Posted: June 20, 2018 at 11:43 AM (#5696089)
flip
Page 38 of 39 pages ‹ First  < 36 37 38 39 > 

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Vegas Watch
for his generous support.