Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Saturday, April 21, 2018

OT - Catch-All Pop Culture Extravaganza (April - June 2018)

The following is previously unseen rehearsal footage of Prince & The Revolution from the summer of 1984.

It was in this very room at Flying Cloud Drive Warehouse in Eden Prairie, Minnesota that Prince created and committed to tape one of his most beloved and iconic compositions, which six years later would become a worldwide hit for Sinead O’Connor.

Prince’s original studio version of ‘Nothing Compares 2 U’ is presented here for the first time.

Trial to see if there’s sufficient support to make this a thing.

Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: April 21, 2018 at 02:32 PM | 3812 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: movies, music, off-topic, television, whatever else belongs under the rubric of 'popular culture'

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 5 of 39 pages ‹ First  < 3 4 5 6 7 >  Last ›
   401. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: April 26, 2018 at 08:35 AM (#5660798)
Probably time for people to start accepting that GoT is going to wrap things up for you, not ASOFI.

Meh. Eventually Brandon Sanderson will finish up the books, I'm sure.
   402. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: April 26, 2018 at 08:35 AM (#5660799)
I'm not sure who "wrote" heard it through the grapevine but I'm willing to bet it wasn't Gladys Knight or the California Raisins or CCR.

"I Heard It Through the Grapevine" is a song written by Norman Whitfield and Barrett Strong for Motown Records in 1966. The first recording of the song to be released was produced by Whitfield for Gladys Knight & the Pips and released as a single in September 1967; it went to number two in the Billboard chart.

The Miracles recorded the song first and included their version on their 1968 album, Special Occasion. The Marvin Gaye version was placed on his 1968 album In the Groove, where it gained the attention of radio disc jockeys, and Motown founder Berry Gordy finally agreed to its release as a single in October 1968, when it went to the top of the Billboard Pop Singles chart for seven weeks from December 1968 to January 1969 and became for a time the biggest hit single on the Motown label (Tamla).

The Gaye recording has since become an acclaimed soul classic, and in 2004, it was placed 81 on the Rolling Stone list of The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time. On the commemorative fortieth anniversary of the Billboard Hot 100 issue of Billboard magazine in June 2008, Marvin Gaye's "Grapevine" was ranked sixty-fifth. It was also inducted to the Grammy Hall of Fame for "historical, artistic and significant" value.

In addition to being released several times by Motown artists, the song has been recorded by a range of musicians including Creedence Clearwater Revival, who made an eleven-minute interpretation for their 1970 album, Cosmo's Factory; and has been used twice in television commercials – each time using session musicians recreating the style of the Marvin Gaye version: the 1985 Levi's commercial, "Launderette", featuring male model Nick Kamen, and the 1986 California raisins promotion with Buddy Miles as the singer for the clay animation group The California Raisins.
   403. Greg K Posted: April 26, 2018 at 08:45 AM (#5660800)
Since there's an appreopriate thread now...

I was just now watching some old Fugees videos on youtube, and in "Ready or Not" they censored the following bolded text:

Everyone would have a gun in the ghetto of course
When giddyuping on their horse
I kick a rhyme drinking moonshine
I pour a sip on the concrete, for the deceased
But no don't weep, Wyclef's in a state of sleep
Thinking bout the robbery that I did last week
Money in the bag, banker looked like a drag
I want to play with pelicans from here to Baghdad
Gun blast, think fast, I think I'm hit
My girl pinched my hips to see if I still exist
I think not, I'll send a letter to my friends
A Born Again hooligan only to be king again

I don't recall that censorship back when it was playing on MuchMusic. Though I think Lauryn Hill bragging about defecating on microphones was always frowned upon. Which seems unfair. If I understand correctly Nina Simone used to do it all the time!
   404. Zonk just has affection for alumni Posted: April 26, 2018 at 08:49 AM (#5660804)
Probably time for people to start accepting that GoT is going to wrap things up for you, not ASOFI.

Meh. Eventually Brandon Sanderson will finish up the books, I'm sure.

I was under the impression GRRM had already said if he don't finish it, no one is to finish it.

Regardless, I find myself caring less and less. The window for "But I want to know how LSH ends!" has closed for me.
   405. Greg K Posted: April 26, 2018 at 08:58 AM (#5660810)
"But I want to know how LSH ends!"

The Lannisters' Southron Heart-Tree?
   406. McCoy Posted: April 26, 2018 at 08:58 AM (#5660811)

As Zonk says I find myself caring less about the books as each day goes by. At this point I don't even know if I'll actually read the next book. The books are so darn long and the first books is a slog to get through its first 100 pages and then the last two books are really a chore so there is just no real payoff to investing all of that time in rereading them all again. I'd rather read Pratchett for a 5th time than those books for a second time. Though I do think I read the first one a second time in a failed attempt to reread the series before the last book came out. At least I think I did, it was so damn long ago that I can't really remember.
   407. Nasty Nate Posted: April 26, 2018 at 09:05 AM (#5660816)
It was apparent long before yesterday that the show would finish before the books.

Is there one central place to read the "new" chapters that have been released? I think they are preview chapters of Winds of Winter and "outtakes" from the last two.
   408. Zonk just has affection for alumni Posted: April 26, 2018 at 09:06 AM (#5660817)
The Lannisters' Southron Heart-Tree?

Lysene Stepstones Hideouts
   409. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: April 26, 2018 at 09:16 AM (#5660822)
I was under the impression GRRM had already said if he don't finish it, no one is to finish it.

Which is meaningful right up until the moment he is dead.
   410. Zonk just has affection for alumni Posted: April 26, 2018 at 09:21 AM (#5660826)

I guess that depends on whether there's a red priest speaking for R'hllor nearby, doesn't it?
   411. Jay Z Posted: April 26, 2018 at 09:23 AM (#5660828)

"You'll have to tear that manuscript from my cold, dead hands!"

Hey, problem solved!
   412. jmurph Posted: April 26, 2018 at 09:24 AM (#5660830)
Nobody mentioned Wilson Pickett's Muscle Shoalsed up version of "Hey Jude" in the cover discussion? For shame.
   413. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: April 26, 2018 at 09:25 AM (#5660831)
late to the party RE: cover songs

Townes VanZant covering "Dead Flowers" by the Stones
Elvis Costello covering "I Can't Stand Up" by The Isley Brothers
Postal Service covering "Against All Odds" by Phil Collins
   414. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: April 26, 2018 at 09:25 AM (#5660832)

I LOL'ed
   415. Greg Pope Posted: April 26, 2018 at 09:29 AM (#5660839)

Can he legally stop his estate/successors/whatever from having someone finish it? Can his will say something like, "And nobody is allowed to write any new Westeros stories"?
   416. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: April 26, 2018 at 09:33 AM (#5660845)
Can his will say something like, "And nobody is allowed to write any new Westeros stories"?

I'm sure it could say something like that. I doubt it would be enforceable in any real way. If his estate wants to cash in on future Westeros stories, they will.
   417. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: April 26, 2018 at 09:35 AM (#5660847)
   418. McCoy Posted: April 26, 2018 at 09:49 AM (#5660862)
And it's not like he's not writing. He's just not writing to complete the story he started with "A Game of Thrones."

And I'm sure a lot of that 640 pages was written off and on again over the last 20 odd years.
   419. Zonk just has affection for alumni Posted: April 26, 2018 at 09:50 AM (#5660865)
George R.R. Martin has announced that he’ll be releasing a new book in his A Song of Ice and Fire series this fall — sort of. No, it’s not the long awaited The Winds of Winter, which promises to finally continue the saga that Martin begin back in 1996 and which fans have been waiting almost seven years to read. Rather, fans will be able to enjoy 640 pages of Fire and Blood, a collection of short stories that tell “the definitive history of the Targaryens in Westeros.”

Which will be delayed because he'll soon decide he REALLY needs to write about the unique culinary history of lemon cakes and lamprey pie.
   420. The Good Face Posted: April 26, 2018 at 09:58 AM (#5660878)
George R.R. Martin has announced that he’ll be releasing a new book in his A Song of Ice and Fire series this fall — sort of. No, it’s not the long awaited The Winds of Winter, which promises to finally continue the saga that Martin begin back in 1996 and which fans have been waiting almost seven years to read. Rather, fans will be able to enjoy 640 pages of Fire and Blood, a collection of short stories that tell “the definitive history of the Targaryens in Westeros.”

Which will be delayed because he'll soon decide he REALLY needs to write about the unique culinary history of lemon cakes and lamprey pie.

I'm pretty sure that's what the new 640 page doorstopper will be about; lavishly written descriptions of incestuous assholes eating big meals.
   421. Dog on the sidewalk Posted: April 26, 2018 at 10:08 AM (#5660893)
Speaking of the Fugees, I've always loved their version of "Killing Me Softly." Like it a lot more than the Roberta Flack version, which itself was a cover.

Dave Van Ronk does my favorite version of "Would You Like To Swing On A Star."

Bonnie "Prince" Billy's uptempo remake of his own "I See A Darkness," is every bit as good as the original.

I am very glad to see this thread exists, even though I gather it's going yo be mostly GoT discussions.

422. BDC Posted: April 26, 2018 at 10:09 AM (#5660894)
I doubt it would be enforceable in any real way. If his estate wants to cash in on future Westeros stories, they will

There are all kinds of situations, and a lot must depend on the discretion of the executors. Maybe the most relevant one would be Peanuts: it remains one of the most marketable and widely-elaborated franchises, all kinds of stories and adaptations in print by lots of secondary writers and artists; but nobody is allowed to write new daily and Sunday Peanuts comic strips. That was certainly Charles Schulz's wish, but if his heirs and executors wanted to license new strips, I imagine they could do it – partly because if they all agreed, who else would sue them to stop them?

EDIT: But I may be wrong; maybe a will has a certain life of its own. (And who knows how explicit such wills really are.) Maybe there is an IP lawyer or two in the house we could consult :)
   423. jmurph Posted: April 26, 2018 at 10:12 AM (#5660897)
I am very glad to see this thread exists, even though I gather it's going yo be mostly GoT discussions.

I was going to threaten to create a new OT-Not Politics and Not-GOT thread but I'm hoping it just runs its course!

(Obviously I think people should talk about whatever they want, GOT is just not for me.)
   424. villageidiom Posted: April 26, 2018 at 10:16 AM (#5660900)
So you think this thread is a bad idea? I've only posted here a few years, so I'm not up on the ins and outs of everything.
I think this thread is a fantastic idea. It's so fantastic that there's an entire section of this site that was built to support stuff like this.

There are Primates who have been using that section many times a day. Those users just noted that the Forums have been in use, daily, for twelve years as of this past Monday.
   425. McCoy Posted: April 26, 2018 at 10:19 AM (#5660902)
Yeah, but they're arseholes. Who wants to talk to them?
   426. jmurph Posted: April 26, 2018 at 10:21 AM (#5660904)
I think this thread is a fantastic idea. It's so fantastic that there's an entire section of this site that was built to support stuff like this.

There are Primates who have been using that section many times a day. Those users just noted that the Forums have been in use, daily, for twelve years as of this past Monday.

This comes up every so often, but it seems like a pretty significant chunk of regular BBTF posters just don't enjoy the look/feel of the forums. Myself included. We're used to the way threads work here so we prefer to post in threads here. It doesn't seem like it's an actual problem?
   427. Hexx Posted: April 26, 2018 at 10:27 AM (#5660909)
No mention of Mrs Robinson by The Lemonheads?
   428. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: April 26, 2018 at 10:33 AM (#5660914)
I can't get into the Forums. Like literally, I tried and was denied access. Is there a reason for that, or am I just technologically challenged?
   429. villageidiom Posted: April 26, 2018 at 10:33 AM (#5660916)
I was going to threaten to create a new OT-Not Politics and Not-GOT thread but I'm hoping it just runs its course!

Forum thread for Game Of Thrones, freshly minted.

For those new to the Forums, the "Post Reply" button gives you a comment window like on the main site, with all the markup buttons at the top. The "Fast Reply" button does the same, without the markup buttons. The "New Topic" button starts a new thread within the same forum.

The link shows up in the "Recent Forum Topics" box on the front page as well.
   430. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: April 26, 2018 at 10:33 AM (#5660917)
Another good Stones cover is The Sundays version of Wild Horses, but not better than the original.
   431. Zonk just has affection for alumni Posted: April 26, 2018 at 10:38 AM (#5660923)
FTR -

I would be interested in GRRM sharing the recipe for sister's stew (i.e., that crab bisque soup Davos enjoys on his way to the Manderlys in the books).

I love chowders, bisques, and seafood-based soups/stews/etc... and that one sounds tasty.

432. villageidiom Posted: April 26, 2018 at 10:42 AM (#5660926)
I can't get into the Forums. Like literally, I tried and was denied access. Is there a reason for that, or am I just technologically challenged?
Don't know. My magical powers don't extend to member access. Email Jim Furtado and he should be able to look into it.
   433. Zonk just has affection for alumni Posted: April 26, 2018 at 10:42 AM (#5660927)
Can we get an OT - Forums or Thread thread?

I keed, I keed.
   434. Greg K Posted: April 26, 2018 at 10:45 AM (#5660931)
   435. Dog on the sidewalk Posted: April 26, 2018 at 10:59 AM (#5660951)
No chance that Charlie would even consider eating his milk steak with microgreens and rosemary pea shoot gel, like some rich snob.
   436. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: April 26, 2018 at 11:00 AM (#5660954)
I'm sure it could say something like that. I doubt it would be enforceable in any real way. If his estate wants to cash in on future Westeros stories, they will.

See the Prince story I linked earlier.

I'm sure he'd be turning over in his tiny grave with much of the stuff that's going on now ... that is, if he was in his tiny grave instead of having his "cremains" stuffed into a miniature replica of Paisley Park that seems to be the last stop on a commercial tour of the real thing ...
   437. The Good Face Posted: April 26, 2018 at 11:06 AM (#5660960)
Speaking of fictional dishes...

This guy attempts to recreate all the best recipes from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Does he offer any advice as to the best combination of sniffing glue/cat food/beer for ensuring a good night's sleep?
   438. McCoy Posted: April 26, 2018 at 11:08 AM (#5660966)
See the Prince story I linked earlier.

I'm sure he'd be turning over in his tiny grave with much of the stuff that's going on now ... that is, if he was in his tiny grave instead of having his "cremains" stuffed into a miniature replica of Paisley Park that seems to be the last stop on a commercial tour of the real thing ...

I believe the difference is that Prince didn't have a will.
   439. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: April 26, 2018 at 11:13 AM (#5660975)

He's really gonna freak out when he comes back.
   440. Greg K Posted: April 26, 2018 at 11:16 AM (#5660983)
No chance that Charlie would even consider eating his milk steak with microgreens and rosemary pea shoot gel, like some rich snob.

Yeah, some of those alternative recipes seemed like they were a fair compromise.

But that "milk steak" was a travesty.
   441. Greg K Posted: April 26, 2018 at 11:18 AM (#5660991)
Does he offer any advice as to the best combination of sniffing glue/cat food/beer for ensuring a good night's sleep?

Glue's for huffin' dude!

He does not. Though perhaps there is a homoeopathic youtuber somewhere that will do an episode devoted to Charlie Kelly home remedies.
   442. McCoy Posted: April 26, 2018 at 11:31 AM (#5661013)
I recall an article last year or so that attempted to recreate all of the famous food items from TV shows. The Friends meat trifle, Homer's stick of butter in a waffle, Krusty's cocktail, and so forth. I believe the author found almost all of it inedible.
   443. Greg K Posted: April 26, 2018 at 11:54 AM (#5661043)
At university our dorm building had an annual party where each suite had a different theme, with the residents running the circuit over the course of the night. Our group went with "The Simpsons" complete with Flaming Homers. There was a big dispute about how authentic we should be. But eventually we decided that feeding cough syrup to binge-drinking 19 year olds was a bad idea.
   444. jmurph Posted: April 26, 2018 at 11:57 AM (#5661049)
I recall an article last year or so that attempted to recreate all of the famous food items from TV shows. The Friends meat trifle, Homer's stick of butter in a waffle, Krusty's cocktail, and so forth. I believe the author found almost all of it inedible.

Moderately related but I got sucked into a lengthy video on facebook last night watching one of the chefs in the Bon Appetite test kitchen trying to recreate cheetos. It was fascinating, and was easily the longest I've ever watched a damn facebook video.
   445. Dog on the sidewalk Posted: April 26, 2018 at 12:37 PM (#5661094)
This got me looking, and I am pleased to see that multiple individuals have tried the cloves/Tom Collins mix in frozen pie crust.
   446. BDC Posted: April 26, 2018 at 01:18 PM (#5661129)
As to the Lounge, I certainly know about it but find the format extremely difficult to use. Not that this complaint is original with me :)
   447. Nasty Nate Posted: April 26, 2018 at 01:26 PM (#5661137)
Speaking of fictional dishes...

This guy attempts to recreate all the best recipes from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
I haven't watched the video, but hopefully all of the food is prepared with a good Toe Knife
   448. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: April 26, 2018 at 01:40 PM (#5661148)
This got me looking, and I am pleased to see that multiple individuals have tried the cloves/Tom Collins mix in frozen pie crust.

My wife and oldest daughter, are quite the baking tandem at our home. They were making a pie recently, and I saw they put vodka into the crust they were making. I was 'WTF is that?' I do a lot of cooking (amateur only) and am familiar with certain tricks, but I almost never bake. I guess it keeps the crust tender, vs adding water which will contribute to the development of gluten, thus a tough crust.
   449. Zonk just has affection for alumni Posted: April 26, 2018 at 02:14 PM (#5661185)
My wife and oldest daughter, are quite the baking tandem at our home. They were making a pie recently, and I saw they put vodka into the crust they were making. I was 'WTF is that?' I do a lot of cooking (amateur only) and am familiar with certain tricks, but I almost never bake. I guess it keeps the crust tender, vs adding water which will contribute to the development of gluten, thus a tough crust.

So they say.

I make the same argument to my boss when I pull the bottle out of my bottom desk drawer, but he never believes me.

450. perros Posted: April 26, 2018 at 02:30 PM (#5661205)
I tbought I posted something re: Making Movies and Romeo&Juliet;, but don't see it, here or anywhere.

An archetypical song, methinks.
   451. Omineca Greg Posted: April 26, 2018 at 02:34 PM (#5661212)
I guess it keeps the crust tender, vs adding water which will contribute to the development of gluten, thus a tough crust.

???

I mean I guess so...but I think if one is using the proper flour/shortening combination, and one knows how to make pie dough properly, gluten development/flakiness/tenderness shouldn't be an issue.

I was going to say that's a waste of водка, but, really, people should be allowed to do what they want with their liquor. Freedom.
   452. Omineca Greg Posted: April 26, 2018 at 03:11 PM (#5661238)
I should add in though, that pie crust made at home (by a good amateur baker) is almost always better than one made in a bakery.

In a commercial context, we're always cheating on balancing ease of handling/quality of product. At my current employer, where productivity is valued over quality almost completely, our dough just isn't all that good. It's OK, but if I were entering a contest or something, that is not how I would make it.

Gluten is developed when working the dough once water has been added. The best pie crusts are made from doughs that have been worked the least amount. They are harder to handle, but more delicious. If you have the rolling chops to handle a sloppy dough, made with the lowest gluten flour available, then you're rocking the pie dough. If you need to work it more so you can handle it, you're beginning to lose flakiness and tenderness. Maybe there's nothing you can do about that though, no use making the flakiest crust in the world if you can't roll it properly. But a lot of good home bakers can, and as they're only making a few pies, they don't care if it takes slightly longer like the owners of a commercial bakery would. So if your mom (or in my kids' case, your dad) seems to make fantastic pie crust...they probably do.

Fascinating stuff, eh?
   453. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: April 26, 2018 at 03:53 PM (#5661293)
Fascinating stuff, eh?

Yup.
   454. jmurph Posted: April 26, 2018 at 03:53 PM (#5661294)
If you have the rolling chops to handle a sloppy dough, made with the lowest gluten flour available, then you're rocking the pie dough. If you need to work it more so you can handle it, you're beginning to lose flakiness and tenderness.

You professionals will surely mock this but my wife and I use a crust recipe we picked up in a book years ago that calls for half-shortening and half-butter, and then there's a rolling trick where you roll it out while it's still in the plastic wrap you used to store it in the fridge. So even though it might otherwise be a bit sloppy, the plastic wrap works to keep it together so you can properly transfer it to the pie plate without it falling apart. Works perfectly every time.

(Obviously this works better for the bottom crust than the top.)
   455. Omineca Greg Posted: April 26, 2018 at 04:01 PM (#5661300)
You professionals will surely mock this...

Oh no, that's a great idea.
   456. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: April 26, 2018 at 04:08 PM (#5661305)
The other pie makers in my life, still use lard. One of them is Canadian (a guy I fish with and he guides). Draw your own conclusions.

On the vodka note, I asked about this, and my wife said that she only utilized it for this one particular pie recipe (not sure why, didn't ask). She's really more of a cake maker, and has really nailed that skill set, according to the people who eat it. The only cake I like is a carrot cake (which she's nailed).
   457. BDC Posted: April 26, 2018 at 04:31 PM (#5661329)
Back on the topic of song lyrics for a moment, I use Adriano Celentano's Prisencolinensinainciusol in class every few semesters. Even by 1972, when the song was written, the most popular songs in Europe tended to be in English, and Celentano wrote the song as his impression of what English sounds like if you don't know English.
   458. Hysterical & Useless Posted: April 26, 2018 at 04:40 PM (#5661337)
I guess it keeps the crust tender, vs adding water which will contribute to the development of gluten, thus a tough crust.

I am the most amateurish of amateur bakers, but I am considered by my family to make very good pie crust. For me, using butter that is really really REALLY cold (like, close to uncuttable), and as little water as you can get away with (and just about icy water at that) seem to work to make a very flaky crust.

While we were driving today, my wife was regaling me with bits from the book Salt Fat Acid Heat, which she just bought for herself yesterday. According to the author, salt acts to strengthen gluten, so you should add it as late as possible to whatever dough you're making to prevent toughness. No idea if that's accurate, but it sounds very authoritative.
   459. Hysterical & Useless Posted: April 26, 2018 at 04:43 PM (#5661347)
his impression of what English sounds like if you don't know English.

My impression is that the less familiar you are with any language, the more conversations in that language sound like arguments.

Of course, it could just be that there's a lot of arguing in my neighborhood.
   460. Lassus Posted: April 26, 2018 at 06:28 PM (#5661403)
Most of what I know about baking I learned from the Great British Bake-off.

Also, I just got out of Infinity War. It was pretty crazy.
   461. Greg K Posted: April 26, 2018 at 06:53 PM (#5661410)
My impression is that the less familiar you are with any language, the more conversations in that language sound like arguments.

Of course, it could just be that there's a lot of arguing in my neighborhood.

It's funny the assumptions you develop about languages you can't understand.

I always think Urdu will take over as the global language of humanity, because to judge by how fast Urdu speakers seem to be talking you could pack a 10 minute speech into about 5 seconds.
   462. vortex of dissipation Posted: April 26, 2018 at 07:22 PM (#5661418)
Then there's this blog, yum! penguin snacks!, which is dedicated to recreating food found in anime...
   463. PreservedFish Posted: April 26, 2018 at 09:16 PM (#5661445)
OG, the vodka pie crust was the invention of Kenji Lopez-Alt, who for my money is the best recipe writer alive. It's worth googling.

I've made a lot of pie crusts. I'm not a professional baker by any means, but having worked alongside them for years, I've picked up a few tricks. I've used lard (and leaf lard, and beef suet, and duck fat) and in my opinion the best fat to use is ... butter. It just tastes the best. A butter/lard combo is pretty great too. (And I've used the trick in #454 many times.)
   464. cardsfanboy Posted: April 26, 2018 at 09:52 PM (#5661447)

I don't bake pies, but my gf uses vodka with pie crust also. She is a dark liquor women, the only reason she had vodka in the liquor cabinet was for pies. (and a couple of other baking things)

Edit: doing a cursory search on Vodka/pie crust and it comes from America's test kitchen, which is of course the one cooking show we swear by, so she must have saw it there. (not saying they invented the technique, just that they used it....)
   465. cardsfanboy Posted: April 26, 2018 at 09:55 PM (#5661448)

I always think Urdu will take over as the global language of humanity, because to judge by how fast Urdu speakers seem to be talking you could pack a 10 minute speech into about 5 seconds.

Not sure about the spoken language, but I'm semi-half serious when I say I think that emoji is going to become common world wide parlance, because it works. As it stands already kids are communicating world wide with this, with people who don't understand a syllable of their spoken language.
   466. Gch exhales the vast drunken folly of Epicurus Posted: April 26, 2018 at 10:45 PM (#5661462)

People were creating accounts and using them to make search-engine optimization spam posts in the forums. Jim's solution was to block access to the forums for anybody whose account is below a certain member group. Member groups are, IIRC, based on post counts so you can either contact Jim to gain access or just post a few thousand times.

Cover songs I love:

Garbage & Screaming Females: Because the Night (the guitar solos in this version make me all warm and fuzzy inside and I could listen to them on repeat for hours)

Big Black: The Model (Steve Albini + Kraftwerk was made to happen)

Retsin: Broken Hearted Wine

Tsunami: Water's Edge

15-60-75: Jimmy Bell (gains points for being a live recording)

New York Dolls: Pills (just a perfect song for this band)

The Gun Club: Preaching the Blues (ditto)

Mark Lanegan: pretty much anything, really

Afghan Whigs: Also too many but my fave is their mashup of My World is Empty Without You and I Hear a Symphony

HM: the covers that appear on Double Nickels on the Dime
   467. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: April 26, 2018 at 11:14 PM (#5661469)
Pixies covering Video Killed the Radio Star

I like the version by The Presidents of the United states of America

some others I haven't seen mentioned

Powderfinger by The Cowboy Junkies. Kind of an anti Neil Young version. not that there was anything wrong with Youngs version. This one is an interesting take.

I Will Survive by Cake

Another neil Young cover, by Rush

and of course

Money by The Flying Lizards
   468. Omineca Greg Posted: April 27, 2018 at 02:55 AM (#5661481)
OG, the vodka pie crust was the invention of Kenji Lopez-Alt, who for my money is the best recipe writer alive. It's worth googling.

Thanks, I've never heard of him. He's a good writer. It's funny to think about...I know that gluten needs water for development, and I know водка is only 60% water, but I never would have made the connection that it could be a pie dough helper. I suppose one could use Everclear. I vaguely knew people put водка in pie dough, but I hadn't thought about it too much.

To be honest, I don't think the major issue with pie dough is gluten over-development. The thing that sinks more pie doughs than anything is overcutting the shortening. This is an important concept in baking, keeping your fats and doughs heterogeneous. If you make croissants that are more like brioche, or danish that's more like sweet dough, you're doing a shitty job.

And you probably work for me.

PUT THE DAMN PHONE AWAY AND GET BACK TO WORK!

Sorry...it really is a dying trade.

Anyway, if everybody swears by it, then go for it. I probably won't get around to trying it, you can't get водка in BC for less than $22 a fifth (we don't call it a "fifth" in Canada but I translated into American for you, I always strive to make my posts easy to understand, and I think I do a pretty good job too, но все повара хвалят свой собственный бульон) it ain't a cheap ingredient, and I'm happy with the results I'm getting now. I could see using some other liquor though, something more highly flavoured, I could rationalise it more easily. I have some nice curaçao (Pierre Ferrand Dry) that I could sacrifice to a project. An orange chiffon kind of dealie maybe.

I am the most amateurish of amateur bakers, but I am considered by my family to make very good pie crust. For me, using butter that is really really REALLY cold (like, close to uncuttable), and as little water as you can get away with (and just about icy water at that) seem to work to make a very flaky crust.

Yep, cold water, cold flour, cold shortening. I use 2/3 butter 1/3 lard myself. It's mostly a feel thing, once you got it, you got it. My first job ever, we put a 5 gallon bucket of water in the freezer until it was just beginning to freeze, and then into the mixer, crunch, crunch, crunch.
   469. Omineca Greg Posted: April 27, 2018 at 03:52 AM (#5661485)

That's awesome!

I love all three versions of "I'll Be Your Shelter" aka "I'll See You Through...

Lloyd Charmers reggae version

Luther Ingram's 70s soul If loving this is wrong, I don't want to be right

The Housemartins' garage gospel Marxist reinterpretation

If you're living on the dole and there's no sugar in your bowl
All you need to do is give a little knock
Don't despair he'll be there with his loving and his care
Marx will work for us right around the clock

470. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: April 27, 2018 at 08:14 AM (#5661493)
I am a bad person, because this made me laugh. Out loud. Theater Accidentally Plays Horror Movie Trailer Before Peter Rabbit, Families Run Out Screaming

Yup, still laughing.
   471. manchestermets Posted: April 27, 2018 at 08:55 AM (#5661505)
Here's the only culture news you people need for a while: Abba announce first new music since 1982.
   472. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: April 27, 2018 at 09:19 AM (#5661516)
I can't bake and am no musicologist, but
- BDC, I used that Celentano song in my own spiel on language in an improv class I taught a zillion, billion years ago. It's a neat curio.
- I know a few people that swear by vodka in pie crusts (and first heard of this way before I'd heard of KL-A). Also heard that a lard/butter mix is the way to go, but whatevs.
   473. Nasty Nate Posted: April 27, 2018 at 09:29 AM (#5661519)

Powderfinger by The Cowboy Junkies. Kind of an anti Neil Young version. not that there was anything wrong with Youngs version. This one is an interesting take.
Pretty good. Here's Neil doing it with just an acoustic guitar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTV6QB3btQs

But I love the electric one. Just turn the volume up and let the guitars wash over you.
   474. stig-tossled, hornswoggled gef the typing mongoose Posted: April 27, 2018 at 09:36 AM (#5661521)
Big Black: The Model (Steve Albini + Kraftwerk was made to happen)

They did a great version of Cheap Trick's He's a Whore, too -- revelatory, really, in how much it didn't change the original. It's as if CT laid down a template for postpunk while the latter was still coalescing.
   475. PreservedFish Posted: April 27, 2018 at 09:55 AM (#5661527)
revelatory, really, in how much it didn't change the original

Paging BDC...
   476. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: April 27, 2018 at 10:14 AM (#5661533)
OK, so I clicked on the ABBA link. Apparently they are putting on a "hologram tour," per Bjorn Ulvaeus:

We were introduced to an idea by Simon Fuller who is, as you know, an entertainment entrepreneur - [creator of] the format of American Idol and manager of the Spice Girls and so forth.

He came to Stockholm and he presented this idea to us that we could make identical digital copies of ourselves of a certain age and that those copies could then go on tour and they could sing our songs, you know, and lip sync. I've seen this project halfway through and it's already mind-boggling.

Is it just me, or is this maybe a new frontier in the History of Things That Are Terrible?
   477. Zonk just has affection for alumni Posted: April 27, 2018 at 10:30 AM (#5661549)
They did a great version of Cheap Trick's He's a Whore, too -- revelatory, really, in how much it didn't change the original. It's as if CT laid down a template for postpunk while the latter was still coalescing.

Indeed - I'm not a huge into postpunk bands, but He's a Whore seems to be a staple of almost every random band within the genre I've ever seen live.

I never miss a chance to laud my favorite band of all time, but it speaks so well of their skills as a group that they can do THIS and still manage to crank out so much pop perfection.
   478. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: April 27, 2018 at 10:31 AM (#5661550)
Is it just me, or is this maybe a new frontier in the History of Things That Are Terrible?

My first thought was "Yes", but then I tried to step back from old guy shaking fist and shouting at clouds. Why is it terrible? It is likely just a way station to the ultimate all digital VR end state for much entertainment. I love watching live performances, but I am OK with recorded performances and this is just a different spin on a recorded performance. So long as they are upfront with what they are doing I don't see much harm.
   479. Crispix Attacksel Rios Posted: April 27, 2018 at 10:35 AM (#5661552)
Back on the topic of song lyrics for a moment, I use Adriano Celentano's Prisencolinensinainciusol in class every few semesters. Even by 1972, when the song was written, the most popular songs in Europe tended to be in English, and Celentano wrote the song as his impression of what English sounds like if you don't know English.

That song is great.

480. Zonk just has affection for alumni Posted: April 27, 2018 at 10:49 AM (#5661560)
Other He's a Whore covers I like -

The Biters

Not my cup of tea, but Big Black Delta also had a interesting take on it

I've got another cover it from The Wildhearts that's pretty good, but can't find a good version on youtube.

...and for you alt-coutry lovers, Robbie Fulks covering it at the Hideout.
   481. Omineca Greg Posted: April 27, 2018 at 10:50 AM (#5661561)
"A New England" Kirsty Maccoll covering Billy Bragg

And for you all you Abba fans out there, you really gotta see this...

If you speak to Swedes of a certain age, they will express a profound disappointment in Abba. The members were all known, to varying degrees, to the Swedish public beforehand, and there was a great deal of excitement when they first formed. "What compelling new sounds would these undoubtedly talented people come up with?"

And then they found out.

I've never written the SAT, but let's see if I do this right...

SWEDES: ABBA..........PROG ROCK FANS: ASIA

So, here's one done by Benny Andersson's first band, The Hep Stars. This is a cover of the Vince Taylor And His Playboys "Brand New Cadillac", a rockin' little record I want my jockey to play. Best known cover would of course be on London Calling. But if you want to see an 18 year old Benny Andersson rocking out in 1965, check it out. Don't pass up this chance, it is a rare opportunity indeed. The visuals are so compelling, I wouldn't be surprised if someone isn't working on a hologram version, even as we speak.
   482. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: April 27, 2018 at 11:02 AM (#5661564)
So, here's one done by Benny Andersson's first band, The Hep Stars.
I thought that was a Tommy Lee side project.
   483. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: April 27, 2018 at 11:04 AM (#5661567)
Pretty good. Here's Neil doing it with just an acoustic guitar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTV6QB3btQs

But I love the electric one. Just turn the volume up and let the guitars wash over you.

I agree. The acoustic version is just the electric version without the electric or bass or drums. Kind of boring actually. The Cowboy Junkies though, different tempo, different instruments, a truly different take.

484. BDC Posted: April 27, 2018 at 11:07 AM (#5661568)
Pierre Menard reference, I love it, thanks Fish :)
   485. Omineca Greg Posted: April 27, 2018 at 11:07 AM (#5661569)
I thought that was a Tommy Lee side project.

HA!

There's a local rapper in the Omineca...his mother gave him the name "James", but his stage name is, "Hepatitis J".
   486. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: April 27, 2018 at 11:12 AM (#5661573)

That's awesome!

They did an entire album of covers of 60's songs, called "Feedback". here is a review of the album:

"Rush covering Blue Cheer covering Eddie Cochrane? Rush covering Love? Rush doing Neil Young, the Yardbirds, and CNSY? Hey, whatever---the guitars are loud, loud, loud. If old dudes need to play classic rock covers to avoid whatever the hell it is that happened to Aerosmith, then so be it. "Mr. Soul" is almost stoner metal"

Mike McGuirk
   487. Nasty Nate Posted: April 27, 2018 at 11:20 AM (#5661579)

I agree. The acoustic version is just the electric version without the electric or bass or drums. Kind of boring actually. The Cowboy Junkies though, different tempo, different instruments, a truly different take.
True. And the quality of their version (and Neil's acoustic one) shows that the songwriting was good and it wasn't just awesome guitar and feedback hiding a weak song.
   488. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: April 27, 2018 at 11:31 AM (#5661589)
True. And the quality of their version (and Neil's acoustic one) shows that the songwriting was good and it wasn't just awesome guitar and feedback hiding a weak song.

The CJs had that song on their second album, "The Trinity Session", about 1987 or so. Back then I was all about loud guitars. wasn't much interested in anything not electric. My wife and I were on a long road trip, and the rules were the driver chooses the music. She put The Trinity Session in the CD player, and I thought "Oh God, here we go." I was only half listening, and then this song comes on, and about the second verse my brain said "Hey, I know this song." I then started listening in earnest, and quickly became hooked on the band.
   489. manchestermets Posted: April 27, 2018 at 11:42 AM (#5661597)
And then they found out.

They found out that it was some of the best pop music ever made. I'm struggling to see the problem here.

Pretty much anything Kirsty MacColl (who I'm sure came to your mind at this point because of her contribution of backing vocals to Anni-Frid Lyngstad's solo work) covered was better than the original by definition.
   490. Don August(us) Cesar Geronimo Berroa Posted: April 27, 2018 at 11:50 AM (#5661599)
Theater Accidentally Plays Horror Movie Trailer Before Peter Rabbit, Families Run Out Screaming

Just this headline made me LOL.
   491. Omineca Greg Posted: April 27, 2018 at 12:06 PM (#5661611)
Pretty much anything Kirsty MacColl (who I'm sure came to your mind at this point because of her contribution of backing vocals to Anni-Frid Lyngstad's solo work)

There's no way for you to read my mind, right?

Right?

Then of course, that's why I brought it up.

They found out that it was some of the best pop music ever made. I'm struggling to see the problem here.

Hey! Don't take it up with me. Take it up with Swedish hipsters born in the 50s! I find the idea amusing myself, as you can see from the Hep Stars video, I don't think there was any good reason to expect the greatest band in all of history, so it's something more symptomatic of people idealising the music of their youth. It's also funny how perceptions change through time, the herd mentality of it all.

I will now quote myself...from the post I'm just now writing. It's kind of a post-modern thing...

Take it up with Swedish hipsters born in the 50s!

Anybody here seen Tillsammans? "SOS" runs over the beginning and end. Film about a Swedish hippie commune in the mid 70s, where their utopian socialist values are continually challenged by the realities of both the mundane details of life and affairs of the heart.
   492. Nasty Nate Posted: April 27, 2018 at 12:09 PM (#5661612)
Speaking of Neil Young covers, I love the Cortez The Killer performed by Gov't Mule on "Live... With a Little Help From Our Friends." One of my favorite pieces of music.
   493. Omineca Greg Posted: April 27, 2018 at 12:27 PM (#5661628)
Theater Accidentally Plays Horror Movie Trailer Before Peter Rabbit, Families Run Out Screaming

Similar thing happened to me.

We were taking the kids to see a children's film, and the trailers weren't age appropriate, they'd gotten the reels mixed up. Nothing as dramatic as that, but it was a "18 years and over" set of previews attached to a "General admission" movie, so way too violent and sexy.

I can't really complain though, in what is probably one of my Top Ten parenting lapses, my wife and daughter were out of town, and my son wanted to watch Dawn of the Dead so I rented it for him. I figured if he had heard of it, he was ready for it.

I don't know how an 8 year old would get to hear about a movie like that, but whatever.

Anyway...

Freaked.

Green.
   494. PreservedFish Posted: April 27, 2018 at 12:29 PM (#5661629)
#491 - One of my favorite movies.
   495. stig-tossled, hornswoggled gef the typing mongoose Posted: April 27, 2018 at 12:31 PM (#5661633)
my son wanted to watch Dawn of the Dead so I rented it for him.

Assuming you're talking about the 2004 version, it's the only movie I've paid (matinee prices, but still) to watch on the big screen three times. (If you're referring to the 1978 original, I paid only the one time.)
   496. Omineca Greg Posted: April 27, 2018 at 12:31 PM (#5661634)
Feeding him buffalo chicken strips and Béarnaise sauce...for breakfast, and then taking him careening down a twisting Northern Vancouver Island backroad, that wasn't too good either.
   497. Omineca Greg Posted: April 27, 2018 at 12:33 PM (#5661636)
Assuming you're talking about the 2004 version.

No, the original. It would have been before the remake.
   498. stig-tossled, hornswoggled gef the typing mongoose Posted: April 27, 2018 at 12:36 PM (#5661638)
No, the original. It would have been before the remake.

A landmark film (though not to the extent that Night was ... then again, few films are) , but heretically enough I do prefer the remake.
   499. McCoy Posted: April 27, 2018 at 12:36 PM (#5661639)
Assuming you're talking about the 2004 version, it's the only movie I've paid (matinee prices, but still) to watch on the big screen three times. (If you're referring to the 1978 original, I paid only the one time.)

The Ty Burell one? 3 times? Are you Zack Snyder's mother or something?
   500. stig-tossled, hornswoggled gef the typing mongoose Posted: April 27, 2018 at 12:39 PM (#5661641)
The Ty Burell one? 3 times? Are you Zack Snyder's mother or something?

Nope. It's an excellent zombie movie -- among my top 5 of the 320 or so I've seen.

(Only other thing I've seen of Snyder's is Sucker Punch, which was ... interesting enough, but that's about it. Looks like he's mostly done superhero movies since; I care very little about that subgenre.)
Page 5 of 39 pages ‹ First  < 3 4 5 6 7 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Martin Hemner
for his generous support.