Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, April 01, 2019

OT - Catch-All Pop Culture Extravaganza (April 2019)

Guess how many songs in the Top 10 biggest tracks in the U.S. last year were written by a solo songwriter? Zero. The year before that? Zero.

In 2016, just one solo-written song made the year-end Top 10: “Stressed Out,” by 21 Pilots, written by Tyler Joseph. In 2015, there was also just one solo-written track (Fetty Wap’s “Trap Queen”), while in 2014 there were two, including “Counting Stars,” by One Republic (written by Ryan Tedder), and the biggest song of that year, “Happy,” by Pharrell Williams.

This is a snapshot of an overwhelming trend in the music industry over the past decade: the near-complete decline of the solo singer-songwriter pop hit, and the near-complete dominance of songs written by committee.

Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: April 01, 2019 at 08:38 PM | 688 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: movies, music, off-topic, television, whatever else belongs under the rubric of 'popular culture'

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 1 of 7 pages  1 2 3 >  Last ›
   1. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: April 01, 2019 at 08:39 PM (#5827686)
Hey, it's, uh, a random intro about music.
   2. PreservedFish Posted: April 01, 2019 at 08:44 PM (#5827689)
I watched 41 movies in March.

How is that possible.
   3. chisoxcollector Posted: April 02, 2019 at 10:34 AM (#5827803)
How is that possible.

I guess that does seem like a lot, lol. I usually watch about 25 movies in an average month. In March, my schedule worked out that I was able to fly home on Thursday night every week, leaving Fridays free for binge watching. And we didn’t leave the house much on weekends either, other than going away for a few days the last week of March.

I’m definitely ahead of my usual pace so far in 2019. Other than 2016, the last several years have all been between 276-285 movies watched. Oddly consistent.

2016 was an outlier year. I spent a lot of time on call at home, so I watched a lot more movies than usual. I ended the year at 412 films watched, which is my personal best, by far.

The most movies I’ve watched in a single month is 60, in June of 2016. The most movies I’ve watched in a single week is 31, last year during the week between Christmas and New Years. The most movies I’ve ever watched in a single day is 7, a “feat” I managed on consecutive days during that same week.

4. PreservedFish Posted: April 02, 2019 at 10:37 AM (#5827806)
You must not do much else.
   5. JJ1986 Posted: April 02, 2019 at 10:39 AM (#5827808)
I never counted rewatches, but I could probably get up to 200 new movies a year or ~17 a month when I lived alone in my early 20s. Now I'm lucky if I see 5 new movies a month.
   6. Lassus Posted: April 02, 2019 at 10:44 AM (#5827813)
I bought my Endgame ticket an hour ago, for Thursday the 25th. I'm going 50 miles from my house to see it in IMAX. I have a vacation in Charleston (Already going to Fig and Husk, PF, any other suggestions?) planned the week before, but.... I might be looking forward to the movie more.
   7. PreservedFish Posted: April 02, 2019 at 10:54 AM (#5827815)
Never been to Charleston, Lassus, and I don't think I could name another place there other than most famous Sean Brock places, Husk and McCrady's.
   8. Lassus Posted: April 02, 2019 at 11:14 AM (#5827822)
The most movies I’ve ever watched in a single day is 7, a “feat” I managed on consecutive days during that same week.

I've binged for 8 hours a day, but that's a lot of movies.

Once, a long time ago in a galaxy Cathedral City far, far away I saw in different theaters, on the same day: Silence of the Lambs, Terminator 2, Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey, and Boyz in the Hood.
   9. chisoxcollector Posted: April 02, 2019 at 11:14 AM (#5827823)
You must not do much else

My wife and I spend a lot of time at various theme parks. I also mix some baseball and basketball in there. But I spend hardly any time watching TV, and when I’m home I don’t read much. I do read quite a bit when I’m traveling, which is most weekdays.

I bought my Endgame ticket an hour ago, for Thursday the 25th. I'm going 50 miles from my house to see it in IMAX. I have a vacation in Charleston (Already going to Fig and Husk, PF, any other suggestions?) planned the week before, but.... I might be looking forward to the movie more.

I’m so freaking excited for this movie. I’m scared, too. I really loved Infinity War, and I’m worried Endgame won’t stick the landing.
   10. chisoxcollector Posted: April 02, 2019 at 11:16 AM (#5827827)
I've binged for 8 hours a day, but that's a lot of movies. Once, a long time ago in a galaxy Cathedral City far, I saw in different theaters, on the same day: Silence of the Lambs, Terminator 2, Bill & Ted's Bous Journey, and Boyz in the Hood

Wow, I’ve never seen 4 movies in theaters in one day, so you have me beat there! I’ve done three several times. In fact, when I was a young lad I saw Edward Scissorhands 3 times in a row in a theater.

I never counted rewatches, but I could probably get up to 200 new movies a year or ~17 a month when I lived alone in my early 20s. Now I'm lucky if I see 5 new movies a month

In 2016, 285 of my films were first time watches, and the other 127 were rewatches. Generally, about 30% of what I watch are rewatches.
   11. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: April 02, 2019 at 11:20 AM (#5827830)
I saw 10 movies in one day at the theater once: Tot Story 3, The King’s Speech, 127 Hours, The Kids Are All Right, True Grit, The Social Network, Inception, The Fighter, Winter’s Bone and Black Swan.

It wasn’t a very good day.
   12. PreservedFish Posted: April 02, 2019 at 11:23 AM (#5827831)
I enjoyed Cinemania, a documentary about film nuts:

This documentary about the culture of intense cinephilia in New York City reveals the impassioned world of five obsessed movie buffs. The filmmakers expose this delightfully deranged cult by capturing the daily lives of its members. Interviews in movie houses, on the street and in the homes of the subjects tell the story of each individual. Many cannot hold a job, or choose not to. All of them have demoted the importance of the real world, giving all of their attention to the fantasy world of the movies. These human encyclopedias of cinema see two to five films a day, and from 600 to 2,000 films per year. Many have no physical sex lives, living instead in a world of romance with stars like James Dean or Audrey Hepburn.
   13. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: April 02, 2019 at 11:23 AM (#5827832)
That 4:15 AM screening of The King’s Speech was rough, let me tell you.
   14. Lassus Posted: April 02, 2019 at 11:27 AM (#5827835)
I'm definitely not a film nut, I don't think I've ever seen multiple theater movies in a day any other time, that was just sort of a fun 21-year-old day off from a 24/7 gig at a boarding school/conservatory.
   15. chisoxcollector Posted: April 02, 2019 at 11:30 AM (#5827836)
I saw 10 movies in one day at the theater once: Tot Story 3, The King’s Speech, 127 Hours, The Kids Are All Right, True Grit, The Social Network, Inception, The Fighter, Winter’s Bone and Black Swan.

It wasn’t a very good day.

I’ve always debated attending one of those Best Picture nominee marathons, and always decide against it. And you did it during one of the years with 10 nominees. Ouch!

2010 was one of the worst Best Picture outcomes ever. Of the 10 nominees, my 9th favorite won. Only Black Swan (IMO) was worse than The King’s Speech. The Social Network is an all-timer.
   16. JJ1986 Posted: April 02, 2019 at 11:31 AM (#5827837)
I've seen 2 movies in the theaters a few times, 3 movies once. The 3 were Mean Girls, Shrek 2 and The Day After Tomorrow, so at least Mean Girls is good.
   17. PreservedFish Posted: April 02, 2019 at 11:33 AM (#5827840)
600-2,000 films is pretty serious. You guys have some catching up to do.
   18. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: April 02, 2019 at 11:35 AM (#5827841)
I actually really like The King’s Speech (I’ve rewatched it several times since), but, man, that was a baaaad choice for the 3-to-5AM screening.
   19. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: April 02, 2019 at 11:36 AM (#5827842)

Just realised I can pre-book my tickets now in Germany for the English-language showings, which is cool (evening of the 23rd over here). I'm pretty prepared to be let down; the last time I went in totally amped for an MCU movie was for Age of Ultron, after a 'mini-marathon' of Avengers 1 and Winter Soldier. That was not smart by us.
   20. Man o' Schwar Posted: April 02, 2019 at 11:37 AM (#5827843)
600-2,000 films is pretty serious. You guys have some catching up to do.

That's crazy. According to my IMDb lists, I've seen 1609 movies, but that's in 48 years. I couldn't imagine watching 6 movies a day for an entire year.
   21. Lassus Posted: April 02, 2019 at 11:38 AM (#5827844)
I might be an easy audience, I thought Ultron was great fun, I really liked it. (Granted, everyone else loved Doctor Strange, which I thought was so unbelievably lame, so.)
   22. Baldrick Posted: April 02, 2019 at 11:38 AM (#5827845)

I have watched 41 movies in this decade. Maybe.
   23. Graham & the 15-win "ARod Vortex of suck" Posted: April 02, 2019 at 11:44 AM (#5827848)
I don't think I could name another place there other than most famous Sean Brock places, Husk and McCrady's.

I would say that I enjoy food, but I haven't been to anyone near the volume or variety of quality restaurants that some of you all have. That said, my girlfriend and I went to the Husk in Savannah late last summer. It was a terrific meal with good cocktails. I'd highly recommend it.
   24. PreservedFish Posted: April 02, 2019 at 11:45 AM (#5827850)
I have watched 41 movies in this decade. Maybe.

Yeah but you listen to like 3 new albums a day, whereas most of the folks in this thread are only just barely aware that there even is new music.
   25. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: April 02, 2019 at 11:49 AM (#5827852)
most of the folks in this thread are only just barely aware that there even is new music.
...and quite happy to keep it that way, judging from the excerpt above.
   26. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: April 02, 2019 at 11:53 AM (#5827854)
I might be an easy audience, I thought Ultron was great fun, I really liked it. (Granted, everyone else loved Doctor Strange, which I thought was so unbelievably lame, so.)

I might have liked it better if it wasn't a midnight showing after two excellent, but pretty exhausting movies of the same genre. I wasn't aware Strange was well-loved, I thought it was more of an Ant-Man 'minor effort with a few cool ideas but the formula wears through a bit too much' type of consensus. Which I largely agree with, I just was pleasantly surprised by the ending and some of the visuals.

Expectation management is such a core part of how much I do or don't enjoy movies, I've learned. A weird kind of meta-appreciation that I kind of wish wasn't there.
   27. Lassus Posted: April 02, 2019 at 12:03 PM (#5827857)
Expectation management is such a core part of how much I do or don't enjoy movies, I've learned.

Yes. When the first Raimi Spider-Man came out, I was angry for a month aftrward, which... was my fault. I'd only been waiting my entire life for that movie and should have handled it better. This was pretty much the problem for my Ditko-anticipatory Dr. Strange viewing.
   28. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: April 02, 2019 at 12:45 PM (#5827869)
Yeah but you listen to like 3 new albums a day, whereas most of the folks in this thread are only just barely aware that there even is new music.

I found a really good local rock station in Westchester county, 107.1 The Peak. They do a really good job of mixing in new stuff, the favorites, and underplayed songs from decades ago. They do a lot with the Capital Theater in Port Chester, and supporting new/live music in general.

I think a good radio station is the best way to get into new music. I want someone to curate this stuff for me, based on the general format I like. I have no interest in listening to 100 songs to find 3 I like.
   29. BrianBrianson Posted: April 02, 2019 at 12:51 PM (#5827871)
I've seen 2 movies in the theaters a few times, 3 movies once.

I saw Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers, and Return of the King back to back to back in theatres when the Return of the King was released (it started at midnight of the release date, I believe).

It was pretty epic, but it's not an experience I need to repeat.
   30. PreservedFish Posted: April 02, 2019 at 01:02 PM (#5827873)
Snapper, although mainstream radio is in a sorry state, we live in the golden age of curated music lists, what with music podcasts, all the custom playlists on Spotify, etc.

It sounds like The Peak at least makes an effort not to play the same list of Eagles and Steve Miller Band and Bachman Turner Overdrive songs hourly, so that's nice.
   31. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: April 02, 2019 at 01:05 PM (#5827874)
Snapper, although mainstream radio is in a sorry state, we live in the golden age of curated music lists, what with music podcasts, all the custom playlists on Spotify, etc.

Yeah, I just want to turn the radio on, or pop in a CD. I really have less than zero interest in digital music. Probably because I can't stand wearing headphones of any kind. I'd probably revert to vinyl, but my wife doesn't want me cluttering the house with a stereo system.
   32. BrianBrianson Posted: April 02, 2019 at 01:09 PM (#5827876)
I just was pleasantly surprised by the ending

A lot of the reason I rate Dr. Strange so high is the ending - maybe it's an over emphasis. Otherwise, yeah, it's just Iron Man or Ant-Man again plot wise, though I think part of Marvel's strength is not worrying too much about really novel plots, and focusing on character. But that becomes an audience preference issue.
   33. Hysterical & Useless Posted: April 02, 2019 at 01:39 PM (#5827891)
Let's see...back in the mid-70s we went to an all-night screening of 4 Beatles films...then there was a Woody Allen triple-feature (I remember we sat in the wrong row, very little leg room [and we are not tall people], were extremely uncomfortable by the end of the second film [theater too crowded to move])...we've been to the film festival in Toronto 3 times, it's routine to see 3 or 4 films in a day there.

But normally, I don't care for binge watching. I like to watch 1 film, or one episode of a TV show, and give it a chance to noodle around in my head (lots of empty space there).
   34. PreservedFish Posted: April 02, 2019 at 01:59 PM (#5827897)
Yeah, I just want to turn the radio on, or pop in a CD. I really have less than zero interest in digital music.

I understand, and not surprised, but it is a missed opportunity for you.

Heck, just the fact that you can flag a song that you like with a simple thumbs up button or similar, and save it for later, makes for a vast improvement over the radio. And no ads! Your grumpiness about technology is holding you back from a less grumpy existence.
   35. Lassus Posted: April 02, 2019 at 02:11 PM (#5827902)
A lot of the reason I rate Dr. Strange so high is the ending - maybe it's an over emphasis. Otherwise, yeah, it's just Iron Man or Ant-Man again plot wise, though I think part of Marvel's strength is not worrying too much about really novel plots, and focusing on character. But that becomes an audience preference issue.

Here's the thing I really don't get - why not let the accident happen ten years prior? Give him some time to study the mystic arts before becoming the Master. It makes no sense why they couldn't follow that little bit of the origin to give him real gravity or weight. So weird. He had no interaction with anyone prior that would make it a problem. Seems like a dumb choice.
   36. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: April 02, 2019 at 02:12 PM (#5827903)
   37. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: April 02, 2019 at 02:30 PM (#5827907)
I understand, and not surprised, but it is a missed opportunity for you.

Heck, just the fact that you can flag a song that you like with a simple thumbs up button or similar, and save it for later, makes for a vast improvement over the radio. And no ads! Your grumpiness about technology is holding you back from a less grumpy existence.

Music doesn't make me grumpy. I have no problem finding enough music I like.

Movies make me grumpy, because I'm completely uninterested in 95% of what's being produced today. There I'm using all the modern technology with Netflix, Roku, Prime, Acorn, and we still struggle to find something decent to watch. Thank God for British TV shows that are structured like movies.

Video games also make me grumpy, because good strategy games area as rare as hens teeth. Everything's either a shooter, or see in some weird fantasy world.
   38. JJ1986 Posted: April 02, 2019 at 02:51 PM (#5827919)
In support of radio, I don't listen to commercial radio, but quality college radio stations are great - no ads, real DJs who pick the music including themed shows and your typical new rock mixes. And most of them have an app that you can put on your phone and listen to anywhere in the country.
   39. BrianBrianson Posted: April 02, 2019 at 03:05 PM (#5827928)
I can't say I recall how long he's actually supposed to be studying in the monastery. My recollection is there's a bit of a music montage of him studying books? It's certainly glossed over but alluded to in the comps to the studying time to become a doctor, etc.
   40. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: April 02, 2019 at 03:06 PM (#5827929)
Here's the thing I really don't get - why not let the accident happen ten years prior?

Totally agree with this criticism. I guess the complaint would then be 'then why didn't he turn up during the events of Avengers, right on his doorstep?' But the Order was in New York at the time even if Strange wasn't in it, so it doesn't really change anything. Oh, well.

Video games also make me grumpy, because good strategy games area as rare as hens teeth. Everything's either a shooter, or see in some weird fantasy world.

I just started using a virtualised gaming PC for the first time - monthly subscription, I get a 'cloud PC' with the rough equivalent of a GTX 1080, though only about 250Gb of storage, and with a fast enough internet connection, it's a pretty good solution for gaming if I'm not obsessive about lag. Since I prefer strategy/tactics to action games most of the time, I'm not. Between Cities: Skylines, Endless Space 2, Hearts of Iron IV, Civilization 5 & 6, and maybe the new Tropico, plus the Total War games and a few lighter options like Into the Breach, I'm not really feeling a shortage, but my tolerance for 'weird fantasy' material is undoubtedly higher.
   41. BrianBrianson Posted: April 02, 2019 at 03:07 PM (#5827930)

Companies other than Paradox Games still make video games?
   42. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: April 02, 2019 at 03:17 PM (#5827938)
Between Cities: Skylines, Endless Space 2, Hearts of Iron IV, Civilization 5 & 6, and maybe the new Tropico, plus the Total War games and a few lighter options like Into the Breach, I'm not really feeling a shortage, but my tolerance for 'weird fantasy' material is undoubtedly higher.

Companies other than Paradox Games still make video games?

Loved the EU franchise, but could not get into EU IV. The war mechanics were too wonky (i.e. I need to conquer every single province of an enemy to get one little province).

I liked Civ V with the religion added, but the timescale issues always get to me. Game just bogs down in modernity.

Total War is one of my favorites (probably have 1000 hours into Attila) but I can't seem to get into Britannia, and have no interest in Warhammer.

Hopefully EU V, and Rome 3 or Medieval 3 will be around soon to help me out.
   43. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: April 02, 2019 at 05:14 PM (#5827970)
   44. Commissioner Bud Black Beltre Hillman Fred Posted: April 02, 2019 at 05:36 PM (#5827979)
Not sure if this counts as "in the cinema", but the Mission Tiki Drive In in Chino, CA used to have four screens, two movies on each screen, with the first movie replayed after the second. Watching three in a row could be tricky just because the start times don't all line up, but I spent a few long nights there in the aughts and heartily recommend it (assuming it's still there). Plus if the movie you're watching sucks, just turn your car around and find the other radio station.
   45. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: April 02, 2019 at 05:47 PM (#5827983)
In binge-ing news, I have 20 episodes of “The Clone Wars” left, but Netflix has informed me the show will disappear on Sunday. Not sure if I have the WILL to finish this thing.

(Yeah of course I could just get it at the library but that’s cheating.)
   46. vortex of dissipation Posted: April 02, 2019 at 06:09 PM (#5827994)
Perhaps it's a bit early to anoint a track as my song of the year, but we have a frontrunner. For the past several years my song of the year has often come from an artist that I wasn't previously familiar with, but who recorded a song that once I heard it, immediately resonated with me. I definitely believe in falling in love at first listen, as far as music is concerned.

Universe Nekoko's "Like a Raspberry" ticks off all the boxes. Dream pop of the highest quality, with a languid, flowing vocal, simple but effective guitar figures, and a beautiful bass line that sharpens the sound. The song envelops you into its world, and draws you in like falling into a quicksand. I'd never heard this band until a couple of hours ago, but this is absolutely brilliant.
   47. Lassus Posted: April 02, 2019 at 07:44 PM (#5828021)
I prefer the rockier, hookier stuff, but I can see how that song would attract those for whom that is their thing.

That's not a dig, I swear.
   48. vortex of dissipation Posted: April 02, 2019 at 07:56 PM (#5828028)
That's not a dig, I swear.

Not taken as one. It's a perfectly reasonable comment, and I understand what you mean.
   49. Baldrick Posted: April 02, 2019 at 08:45 PM (#5828037)

This is a fair point. To each their own.

Speaking of which, if you like ambient music, Andreas Söderström & Rickard Jäverling have a new album called Adelsö that is top-notch.
   50. PreservedFish Posted: April 02, 2019 at 09:11 PM (#5828043)
Every five years I listen to Aphex Twin to try and figure out what I'm missing, but I keep missing it. But I'll give them a shot.

Also, I'm fairly sure that I have a couch named Soderstrom.
   51. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: April 02, 2019 at 10:14 PM (#5828054)
Perhaps it's a bit early to anoint a track as my song of the year, but we have a frontrunner.
100 bucks says it’s a Japanese band with a female singer...

(Clicks)

Yep, it’s a Japanese band with a female singer. You are nothing if not consistent, my friend.
   52. Omineca Greg Posted: April 02, 2019 at 10:17 PM (#5828055)
Andreas Söderström & Rickard Jäverling have a new album called Adelsö that is top-notch.

Imagine William Ackerman** was from Västerås instead of Palo Alto, that's what Adelsö sounds like.

No really, just use your imagination.

**I'm meaning early Windham Hill here, not the bigger, more fully arranged stuff.
   53. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: April 03, 2019 at 04:58 AM (#5828094)
WARNING: CONTAINS SPOILERS

Jeff Lyons on Twitter:

*Avengers: Endgame, opening scene, 1 month later*

Captain America (crying): "I'm still so sad."

Black Widow: "We need to do something fun. Let's go see Oates in concert."

Captain America: "Just Oates? What about Ha... oh right..."

(more crying)
   54. McCoy Posted: April 03, 2019 at 07:05 AM (#5828095)
I've been to Charleston and like someone else I couldn't name a lot of other places besides Sean Brock places. Went to R Kitchen. A place I think it's best described as a wannabe faux Michelin starred underground kitchen. Nice enough people menu and execution was lacking. Despite the lack of name restaurants Charleston has a ton of well designed restaurants that either try or do check the boxes. Craft cocktails? Check. Small plates? Check. BBQ? Check. So on and so on.
   55. PreservedFish Posted: April 03, 2019 at 10:30 AM (#5828130)
Andreas Söderström & Rickard Jäverling have a new album called Adelsö that is top-notch.

Listening now. It's pleasant but it's background music for me. Not my thing.
   56. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: April 03, 2019 at 11:37 AM (#5828172)
@MCU_Direct
Audiences will be introduced to an openly LGBTQ superhero in the MCU "very soon", says #AvengersEndgame co-director Joe Russo!

@pogform
please dear god i’m begging you quit depending on evil mega corporations to feed you scraps when actual gay art exists
   57. BrianBrianson Posted: April 03, 2019 at 11:48 AM (#5828180)
I have to some fraction of the people involved in making the MCU films are LGBT+, probably comparable to general population. There's a huge difference between "gay art" and "art that has some gay people in it".
   58. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: April 03, 2019 at 11:55 AM (#5828183)
Audiences will be introduced to an openly LGBTQ superhero in the MCU "very soon", says #AvengersEndgame co-director Joe Russo!
Yay!
So, apparently now we've reached the point as a society where inclusion in a superhero movie is a key marker of social acceptance. Now what?
   59. PreservedFish Posted: April 03, 2019 at 12:02 PM (#5828185)
This superhero craze must be generating a lot of strange academic study, and will continue to do so for decades into the future. My grandparents' generation liked musicals and Bible epics, my generation likes super heroes. I wonder what it all means.
   60. Howie Menckel Posted: April 03, 2019 at 12:05 PM (#5828187)

how much do you weigh?
#noneofmybusinessbut
   61. vortex of dissipation Posted: April 03, 2019 at 02:07 PM (#5828241)
Today marks the 70th birthday of Richard Thompson, probably my favorite songwriter, and definitely my favorite guitarist. And he's still going strong, both in the quality of his most recent recordings, and in his live shows. Here's one of his classics.
   62. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: April 03, 2019 at 03:10 PM (#5828273)
This superhero craze must be generating a lot of strange academic study, and will continue to do so for decades into the future. My grandparents' generation liked musicals and Bible epics, my generation likes super heroes. I wonder what it all means.

Possibly that fantasising about entities that look and sound like us but have supernatural abilities will never go out of fashion, given that it's one of the oldest and broadest categories of story-telling. (Given some of the feats of heightened reality in musicals, perhaps even those as well.)
   63. PreservedFish Posted: April 03, 2019 at 04:05 PM (#5828301)
Oh, sure, although I think the natural comparison is not between superheroes and the Bible (which is pretty staid in comparison to other religious traditions) but between superheroes and Greek/Roman gods and, especially, epic Hindu mythology.
   64. Howie Menckel Posted: April 03, 2019 at 04:11 PM (#5828305)
hmm, no smiley face in my Post 60 makes me look like a dick. guh
   65. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: April 03, 2019 at 05:30 PM (#5828337)
There’s another Joker movie on the way, this one starring Joaquin Phoenix.

The Joker’s real name in this one will be “Arthur Fleck.”

That is: “A.Fleck.”
   66. Lassus Posted: April 03, 2019 at 06:00 PM (#5828348)
That Joker movie looks idiotic. The Joker doesn't need an origin.
   67. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: April 03, 2019 at 06:03 PM (#5828350)
   68. stig-tossled, hornswoggled gef the typing mongoose Posted: April 03, 2019 at 06:17 PM (#5828354)

The Joker was the Red Hood. When he fell into a vat of chemicals, his skin was turned white & his hair green, etc. The end.
   69. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: April 03, 2019 at 07:16 PM (#5828366)
The Joker trailer looks like the long-awaited synthesis of "The Greatest Show on Earth" and "Death Wish." Finally.
   70. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: April 03, 2019 at 07:21 PM (#5828368)
Did Super Mario Brothers create “the ground is lava!”, or have children feared this since the dawn of time, ingrained in our genetic code from caveman days?

Alt theory: Terminator 2 started it?

Please, share your experiences with “the ground is lava,” thanks.
   71. DEFCON: jive Posted: April 03, 2019 at 08:19 PM (#5828376)
I was born in 1976, can confirm that "the ground is lava" is something my siblings, friends and I were playing in the pre-mario, pre-T2 era.
   72. Omineca Greg Posted: April 03, 2019 at 09:33 PM (#5828391)
Today marks the 70th birthday of Richard Thompson, probably my favorite songwriter, and definitely my favorite guitarist.

Richard needs your prayers it's true, but save a few for Linda too.

The ratio of superhero to music hall in this so called "popular" cultural thread has always seemed off to me, but as Richard came up, now I have a chance to talk up his ex's latest album, My Mother Doesn't Know I'm on the Stage (Sep '18). I would chalk it up to the...ahem...Americancentric...nature of the chatter here, but vaudeville doesn't even come up that often either...so maybe it's something else.

Actually, it's released under Linda Thompson's name, but she has a slew of conspirators, including her son with Richard, Teddy Thompson. But also Martha Wainwright, and sundry English-type people.

I know nobody here gives two shits about music hall, your loss, so I won't even even try to give you something to latch on to...unless...

unless...

...one of the singers on Linda's new project is a Marvel superhero!

[Checks IMDb]...HE IS! He is a Marvel superhero!

Now I've got some curiosities piqued. Whetted. Aroused even.

Yep, come for the Marvel comics actor crooning his best effort, stay for the acerbic Roaring 20s wit.

My Mother Doesn't Know I'm on the Stage

This album is recommended to all who want to learn about British life between the wars through popular song. All others shouldn't even think about it. And by "between the wars" I mean the three biggies, WWI...WWII...and Boer.

I have come to say goodbye, Dolly Gray
It's no use to ask me why, Dolly Gray
There's a murmur in the air, you can hear it everywhere
It is the time to do and dare, Dolly Gray

Don't you hear the tramp of feet, Dolly Gray
Sounding through the village street, Dolly Gray
'Tis the tramp of soldiers' feet in their uniforms so neat
I must say goodbye to you, Dolly Gray

Goodbye Dolly I must leave you, though it breaks my heart to go
Something tells me I am needed at the front to fight the foe
See, the soldier boys are marching and I can no longer stay
Hark, I hear the bugle calling, Goodbye Dolly Gray

Hear the rolling of the drums, Dolly Gray
Back from war the regiment comes, Dolly Gray
On your lovely face so fair, I can see a look of fear
For your soldier boy's not there, Dolly Gray

For the one you love so well, Dolly Gray
In the midst of battle fell, Dolly Gray
With his face toward the foe, as he died he murmured low
"I must say goodbye and go, Dolly Gray"

Goodbye Dolly I must leave you, though it breaks my heart to go
Something tells me I am needed at the front to fight the foe
See, the soldier boys are marching and I can no longer stay
Hark, I hear the bugle calling, Goodbye Dolly Gray

Cobb/Barnes

Of course, I dug it.
   73. PreservedFish Posted: April 03, 2019 at 10:44 PM (#5828417)
I'll be honest, I mostly think of "music hall" as the genre that inspired Paul McCartney's dopiest songs.
   74. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: April 04, 2019 at 06:29 AM (#5828454)
Years ago, I was on a kick of buying archival recordings from the late 1890s through the 1910s and early '20s. I got a box set of London music hall songs called "Round the Town." I'd wanted to explore the circuitous connections between American vaudeville, the cornball revivalist hits of the 1960s (e.g. "Mrs Brown You've Got a Lovely Daughter," "Winchester Cathedral," McCartney's, et al), the early days of 20th century modern entertainment, and the "pantomime horse" wing of British show biz that has always bewildered me.

But the box set was a deadly, interminable slog. I haven't even thought about the collection in over a decade, let alone wanted to listen to it. But it's out of print and selling for $80 to $120 on the usual websites, so maybe someday there'll be a happy ending for me yet.
   75. Lassus Posted: April 04, 2019 at 07:45 AM (#5828457)
FYI for OG: Kinsgman was not a Marvel movie and the original comic wasn't in the Marvel imprint, but a separate division, ICON, that was used to print independent work of artists they didn't want wandering out of the stable.
   76. Omineca Greg Posted: April 04, 2019 at 08:21 AM (#5828464)
FYI for OG: Kinsgman was not a Marvel movie...

Cut me some slack! It took me three years to realise it wasn't about the guy who sang "Louie, Louie" going solo.

Yeah, I thought I might be getting some of the details not quite right, but when you're trying to build a bridge between two worlds, sometimes absolute truth is the first casualty.

In all seriousness, is it not even a Marvel movie in the sense that Marvel made money off of it? Comics aren't one of my interests, so I have very little idea of how the whole thing works.

Statler, Waldorf, and Fozzie Bear
   77. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: April 04, 2019 at 08:41 AM (#5828473)
The only music hall I was aware of growing up was 'The Lion and Albert' as performed by Stanley Holloway. That was fairly strange, hearing it while living in the US, then moving back to the UK at age 8 and realizing that people actually spoke with that accent in real life. While we were in the States, the British part of my family drip-fed us bits and pieces from the UK, so I got some very weird ideas of what I was going to be moving back to. The Beano, the 1970s Watership Down animation, Just William audiobooks, and Tintin (all right, not British) were probably the other standouts. Left me very unprepared for the realities of age 9 social dynamics in late 1980s England.
   78. Lassus Posted: April 04, 2019 at 08:48 AM (#5828477)
In all seriousness, is it not even a Marvel movie in the sense that Marvel made money off of it?

It appears not; although I suppose they may have made money when 20th-Century Fox bought the rights, as Icon was owned by Marvel? But I'm not enough of a cine-wonk to know that.
   79. PreservedFish Posted: April 04, 2019 at 08:52 AM (#5828481)
That's beautiful, how giddy Statler and Waldorf were. Glad to know that they got at least some authentic, non-snarky enjoyment out of the show.
   80. Crispix Attacksel Rios Posted: April 04, 2019 at 09:33 AM (#5828494)

One of the most celebrated Batman stories is The Killing Joke, about the Joker's origin as a depressed comedian. Many denigrate it as too gritty and depressing, but not as idiotic.
   81. stig-tossled, hornswoggled gef the typing mongoose Posted: April 04, 2019 at 09:51 AM (#5828498)
Many denigrate it as too gritty and depressing, but not as idiotic.

Most of the objections are to the fate of Barbara Gordon.
   82. BrianBrianson Posted: April 04, 2019 at 10:49 AM (#5828518)

Wait, if this means the Deadpool universe is merging with the MCU, my interest just went up ten thousand percent.
   83. Fred Lynn Nolan Ryan Sweeney Agonistes Posted: April 04, 2019 at 11:23 AM (#5828536)
Calling back to last month's C-APCE thread, two good Gene Hackman performances not yet mentioned -
Bite the Bullet (1975) solid Western written & directed by Richard Brooks (In Cold Blood; Looking for Mr. Goodbar). Kind of vanished, pop-culture-wise, but interesting cast (James Coburn, Candice Bergen, Jan-Michael Vincent) and diverting story. The scene where Hackman explains to Vincent that he's mistreated his horse certainly stuck with me.

Superman (1978) Hackman is just so damn funny as Lex Luthor. I would've watched a whole movie of just him and Ned Beatty doing pretty much anything. [I'd also watch a whole movie of vintage Valerie Perrine doing pretty much anything, but that's another story]
   84. PepTech Posted: April 04, 2019 at 12:35 PM (#5828566)
I bought my Endgame ticket an hour ago, for Thursday the 25th. I'm going 50 miles from my house to see it in IMAX.
So I can get non-center tickets at an IMAX screen, or center tickets at an RPX. (Not going until Saturday. Thursday and Friday are down to front-row only.)

Sorry if this has been hashed out here before, but if so, I missed it. What are the differences between the two, and preferences/recommendations here for optimal viewing? Lighting? Sound? Angle? Screen Size? Aspect Ratio?
   85. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: April 04, 2019 at 12:38 PM (#5828568)
On the eve of his 80th birthday, Francis Ford Coppola is ready to embark on one of his dream projects. He plans to direct Megalopolis, a sprawling film as ambitious as Apocalypse Now, that he has been plotting for many years. Coppola revealed this to me today. He has his script, and he has begun speaking informally to potential stars. I’ve heard Jude Law’s name among those who might potentially be in the movie. I have much to report about Coppola’s dream project, and I got to view some of the second unit footage he shot after announcing the project in Cannes, before the terror attacks of 9/11 — the film is set in New York and is an architect’s attempt to create a utopia in the city, combated by the mayor — ground progress on the film to a halt.

“So yes, I plan this year to begin my longstanding ambition to make a major work utilizing all I have learned during my long career, beginning at age 16 doing theater, and that will be an epic on a grand scale, which I’ve titled Megalopolis,” Coppola told me today. “It is unusual; it will be a production on a grand scale with a large cast. It makes use of all of my years of trying films in different styles and types culminating in what I think is my own voice and aspiration. It is not within the mainstream of what is produced now, but I am intending and wishing and in fact encouraged, to begin production this year.”
   86. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: April 04, 2019 at 12:44 PM (#5828569)
‘Aladdin’ Footage of Will Smith’s Singing Genie Divides CinemaCon: ‘It Is Pure Nightmare Fuel’
CinemaCon was the perfect place for Disney to start turning the critical tides in favor of “Aladdin,” and the studio did not succeed. The footage provided an extended look at Will Smith’s “Friend Like Me” song and dance number, which included the actor rapping.
   87. Master of the Horse Posted: April 04, 2019 at 12:45 PM (#5828570)
I picked up tickets to take the wife to the opera, Carmen. A) She has not been to an opera B) Figured this would be a good place to start C) Yes, I enjoy opera. Which is why this line always kills me
   88. Lassus Posted: April 04, 2019 at 01:01 PM (#5828577)
Carmen, possibly the most popular classical music piece in the history of the known universe, is definitely a good starting point.
   89. Master of the Horse Posted: April 04, 2019 at 01:32 PM (#5828593)
88--Well, yeah. But it would have been cool if say, Vanessa, was playing as that is an American opera so distinguished in it own though obviously smaller way. Plus it's good obviously. But this should work.
   90. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: April 04, 2019 at 01:58 PM (#5828599)
   91. Lassus Posted: April 04, 2019 at 02:20 PM (#5828605)
Horse - following up, I'd definitely go with Rossini or Verdi, the Italians knew their opera.
   92. Swoboda is freedom Posted: April 04, 2019 at 02:58 PM (#5828624)
Bite the Bullet (1975) solid Western written & directed by Richard Brooks (In Cold Blood; Looking for Mr. Goodbar). Kind of vanished, pop-culture-wise, but interesting cast (James Coburn, Candice Bergen, Jan-Michael Vincent) and diverting story. The scene where Hackman explains to Vincent that he's mistreated his horse certainly stuck with me.

Never liked Vincent as actor. The idea of Hackman as a long distance rider seems a little far fetched. He is a big guy.
   93. chisoxcollector Posted: April 04, 2019 at 07:31 PM (#5828722)
I was just perusing my Letterboxd stats while I wait for a flight. These stats perfectly illustrate why I’m doing my Blindspotting project in an attempt to catch up on well known 70s and 80s films that I’ve never seen. Next year I’ll work backwards and focus on actors from the 50s and 60s, etc.

Films I’ve seen by decade

2010s - 992 (holy cow I wasn’t expecting this number to be so high)
2000s - 676
1990s - 599
1980s - 235 (big drop off here, thus my Blindspotting project)
1970s - 62 (this is where the numbers get almost embarrassing)
1960s - 37
1950s - 35
1940s - 42
1930s - 16
1920s - 4
1910s - 0
1900s - 1

I know I’ll never get the older decades anywhere near the last three decades. I would like to get every decade from at least the 40s - 70s over 100, and the 80s over 300.
   94. PepTech Posted: April 04, 2019 at 08:13 PM (#5828730)
I know I’ll never get the older decades anywhere near the last three decades
How could you, though?

I'm sure the stats are out there (for how many films are made), but I'm not going to look for them. I just remember that in the 70s and 80s, there were really only two or maybe three new movies a week, on the average. I'm probably wrong, but that's what my brain says. Maybe more on Christmas, probably less on a random February weekend back then.

If I'm reading this link correctly, there are 26 movies opening tomorrow.

ETA: Oh, and I went with IMAX (2D, not 3D). Thanks for all the input :/
   95. chisoxcollector Posted: April 04, 2019 at 08:26 PM (#5828738)
Sorry Pep, I'm not really familiar with RPX so I didn't chime in.

I will say, for the "premium" experiences that I frequent, I'd rank them, from best to worst:

Dolby Cinema

Small gap

Real IMAX

Big gap

Epic XL
Fake IMAX

All four are a good experience, but the first two stand out for me.

I have been to RPX screenings, as well as AMC Prime and BigD, but not often or recent enough that I really remember them.
   96. Omineca Greg Posted: April 04, 2019 at 09:18 PM (#5828763)
I'll be honest, I mostly think of "music hall" as the genre that inspired Paul McCartney's dopiest songs

Well, I think Paul McCartney's dopiest song is "Hi Hi Hi", and it's really more of a blues shuffle.

It's either about dope, acid, or sex. I'm guessing it's all three, 'cuz you know what libertines those hippies are.

I think the last music hall song that was popular was "You're A Good Man Albert Brown (Curse You Red Barrel), but as that was a piss-take on 60's bands taking the piss out of music hall, it's almost too meta for words. And it wasn't even that popular.

The Kinks should be what comes to mind. They did a lot of good music hall inspired stuff.
   97. PreservedFish Posted: April 04, 2019 at 09:54 PM (#5828772)
Mmmm. You (really) got me there. I think The Kinks incorporate that influence much better. Not that I have a problem with McCartney, love the guy, it's just that bounciness can feel intrusive sometimes.
   98. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: April 04, 2019 at 10:17 PM (#5828780)
@RobDelaney
If showing the police disrespect & destroying property is the Joker’s idea of a “joke,” I’m not laughing.

@RobDelaney
“The Joker” should be called “The Criminal Who Laughs Like a Madman”. Not “The Joker”. Who’s laughing now? Hopefully no one, because one thing this stuff isn’t , is a joke.
   99. Omineca Greg Posted: April 04, 2019 at 10:30 PM (#5828782)
[I'd also watch a whole movie of vintage Valerie Perrine doing pretty much anything, but that's another story]

A stunningly good looking person.
   100. Lassus Posted: April 05, 2019 at 06:43 AM (#5828807)
flip
Page 1 of 7 pages  1 2 3 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Tuque
for his generous support.