Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, April 01, 2019

OT - Catch-All Pop Culture Extravaganza (April 2019)

Guess how many songs in the Top 10 biggest tracks in the U.S. last year were written by a solo songwriter? Zero. The year before that? Zero.

In 2016, just one solo-written song made the year-end Top 10: “Stressed Out,” by 21 Pilots, written by Tyler Joseph. In 2015, there was also just one solo-written track (Fetty Wap’s “Trap Queen”), while in 2014 there were two, including “Counting Stars,” by One Republic (written by Ryan Tedder), and the biggest song of that year, “Happy,” by Pharrell Williams.

This is a snapshot of an overwhelming trend in the music industry over the past decade: the near-complete decline of the solo singer-songwriter pop hit, and the near-complete dominance of songs written by committee.

Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: April 01, 2019 at 08:38 PM | 688 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: movies, music, off-topic, television, whatever else belongs under the rubric of 'popular culture'

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 7 pages  < 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›
   101. Lassus Posted: April 05, 2019 at 06:48 AM (#5828808)
@RobDelaney
If showing the police disrespect & destroying property is the Joker’s idea of a “joke,” I’m not laughing.
@RobDelaney
“The Joker” should be called “The Criminal Who Laughs Like a Madman”. Not “The Joker”. Who’s laughing now? Hopefully no one, because one thing this stuff isn’t , is a joke.
People will be more likely to care if you link to WTF's being talked about by Delaney.

But nothing about the Joker is supposed to be funny, he's insane. Also, the movie didn't give an 80-year-old character his name.

Delaney sounds like an idiot in these tweets.
   102. BrianBrianson Posted: April 05, 2019 at 06:58 AM (#5828811)
sounds like an idiot in these tweets.

thatsthejoke.jpg
   103. Lassus Posted: April 05, 2019 at 07:00 AM (#5828812)
Really? Maybe? It's not a joke if it makes no sense. I might be stupid. What key humor point am I missing?

Both tweets are just Bat-sarcasm, you mean?
   104. BrianBrianson Posted: April 05, 2019 at 09:41 AM (#5828833)
I'm not sure "sarcasm" is quite the right word - more like, the uptight fuddy-duddy character he's adapting is funny, because he's taking a real attitude people have an exaggerating it to a farcical level?

And, of course, very few jokes are funny if you explain them.
   105. Lassus Posted: April 05, 2019 at 10:11 AM (#5828843)
I agree entirely with that. They also aren't funny if they REQUIRE explanation, which, I guess is personal. I admit I had to look the dude up, so.
   106. PreservedFish Posted: April 05, 2019 at 10:32 AM (#5828853)
And, of course, very few jokes are funny if you explain them.

I actually didn't get the joke until you explained it. Now I think it's funny.
   107. Crispix Attacksel Rios Posted: April 05, 2019 at 11:12 AM (#5828867)
I think the last music hall song that was popular was "You're A Good Man Albert Brown (Curse You Red Barrel), but as that was a piss-take on 60's bands taking the piss out of music hall, it's almost too meta for words. And it wasn't even that popular.

George Formby's version of In Da Club has a lot more Youtube views than that song!
   108. BrianBrianson Posted: April 05, 2019 at 11:42 AM (#5828884)
I admit I had to look the dude up, so.

Lord Thundering Jesus! The man played Peter in Deadpool 2, and has, I assume, been in other TV shows and/or movies.
   109. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: April 05, 2019 at 03:17 PM (#5829001)
On the Brit Marling Scale of ######-up, which runs from 1 to Time-Travel Cult, I'd say "The OA" is approximately a 17. I can't decide if the end of the second season is the most brilliant thing I've ever seen or completely stupid.
   110. Jeremy Renner App is Dead and I killed it Posted: April 05, 2019 at 03:21 PM (#5829005)
Saw Hereditary a second time via Prime and I remain kind of surprised that this movie was able to get in the theatres just because it's so not a horror film in the typical BS where people can anticipate being scared but just completely ####### insane and just touch of real enough that it lingers with you later.
   111. Jeremy Renner App is Dead and I killed it Posted: April 05, 2019 at 03:44 PM (#5829028)
Hereditary v Exorcist among acclaimed horror film genre, who you got??
   112. Davo Posted: April 05, 2019 at 04:25 PM (#5829050)
I’ve reached the 6th and final season of Star Wars: The Clone Wars.

Now, this final season is sub-titled “The Lost Missions.”

Part of me suspects it will be disconnected from rest of the series’ timeline. Just, random #### that was happening on other planets during the events of the first 5 seasons. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Because the final episode of Season 5 is a pretty perfect wrap to the show, IMO.
   113. Hysterical & Useless Posted: April 05, 2019 at 04:33 PM (#5829055)
70. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day
Posted: April 03, 2019 at 07:21 PM (#5828368)
Did Super Mario Brothers create “the ground is lava!”, or have children feared this since the dawn of time, ingrained in our genetic code from caveman days?

Alt theory: Terminator 2 started it?

Please, share your experiences with “the ground is lava,” thanks.

When I was a kid it was always quicksand, because quicksand was always the gravest threat a cowboy would face. This was of course long before video games.
   114. Hysterical & Useless Posted: April 05, 2019 at 04:48 PM (#5829063)
"Mrs Brown You've Got a Lovely Daughter,

A while back that song started running in my 'ead so I looked it up. Turns out it was written for a TV film made in the early 60s and sung by Tom Courtenay, one of the finest actors of the era (Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner; an absurdly wonderful performance in She Stoops to Conquer). Apparently, every British band in every town played the song at every dance or birthday party they gigged at. It was considered so overdone that the Herman's Hermits recording that became a hit in the US in 1965 wasn't even released as a single over there.
   115. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: April 05, 2019 at 05:25 PM (#5829067)
Herman's Hermits' #1 song "I'm Henry VIII, I Am" was written in 1910, and was an actual British music hall hit.
   116. Rennie's Tenet Posted: April 05, 2019 at 06:20 PM (#5829075)
"Henry" is probably the earliest hit song I was aware of. My 16 year old sister played it roughly 200,000 times when it was popular. She had a bit of a crush on Peter Noone.

When I was little, I thought songs on the radio were played live, the bands rushing from station to station to play their songs.
   117. Davo Posted: April 08, 2019 at 10:43 AM (#5829537)
@pitchfork
The new season of “Game of Thrones” will feature a new song from the Weeknd, Travis Scott, and SZA
   118. PreservedFish Posted: April 08, 2019 at 10:47 AM (#5829539)
When is Thrones coming out? I'm almost finished with my ghetto home movie theater in an uninsulated attic, and we are now in the brief window of time that it is neither unbearably hot nor unbearably cold.
   119. chisoxcollector Posted: April 08, 2019 at 10:51 AM (#5829544)
When is Thrones coming out? I'm almost finished with my ghetto home movie theater in an uninsulated attic, and we are now in the brief window of time that it is neither unbearably hot nor unbearably cold.

First episode is this Sunday night!
   120. Dromedary pretzels, only half a dinar (CoB). Posted: April 08, 2019 at 11:01 AM (#5829547)
Sooooo excited.

This is a good breakdown of the Season 8 Trailer (spoiler alerts if anyone hasn't finished through Season 7)

It does speculate on what we might see, so also avoid if that's a problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HM1oz4Yalk

Alt Shift X has a bunch of great GoT content on his channel, if you want to go down a giant Got wormhole before Sunday
   121. jmurph Posted: April 08, 2019 at 11:18 AM (#5829549)
On the eve of his 80th birthday, Francis Ford Coppola is ready to embark on one of his dream projects. He plans to direct Megalopolis, a sprawling film as ambitious as Apocalypse Now, that he has been plotting for many years. Coppola revealed this to me today. He has his script, and he has begun speaking informally to potential stars. I’ve heard Jude Law’s name among those who might potentially be in the movie. I have much to report about Coppola’s dream project, and I got to view some of the second unit footage he shot after announcing the project in Cannes, before the terror attacks of 9/11 — the film is set in New York and is an architect’s attempt to create a utopia in the city, combated by the mayor — ground progress on the film to a halt.

“So yes, I plan this year to begin my longstanding ambition to make a major work utilizing all I have learned during my long career, beginning at age 16 doing theater, and that will be an epic on a grand scale, which I’ve titled Megalopolis,” Coppola told me today. “It is unusual; it will be a production on a grand scale with a large cast. It makes use of all of my years of trying films in different styles and types culminating in what I think is my own voice and aspiration. It is not within the mainstream of what is produced now, but I am intending and wishing and in fact encouraged, to begin production this year.”

I'll obviously watch this if it ever gets made but this could have been a word-for-word quote from Orson Welles in that recent Netflix documentary about the making of his last film.
   122. PreservedFish Posted: April 08, 2019 at 11:23 AM (#5829550)
Old people don't produce much great art - why?
   123. jmurph Posted: April 08, 2019 at 11:26 AM (#5829551)

In addition to an energy/sharpness factor that must be in play, there has to also be some kind of decline in the amount of good ideas that one comes up with?
   124. PreservedFish Posted: April 08, 2019 at 11:43 AM (#5829556)
There's a lot at play.

I think a lot of artists have a limited number of great ideas. There are many bands that never improved on their debut album, and you're more likely to use the good ones up first.

Older people are more comfortable, less ambitious. The young starving artist who will slave for his art turns into the old guy that is feted all over town, has a comfy existence, friends with celebrities. It's all distracting. I'm always struck by how old rock n rollers enter a phase of their career where they seem to mostly produce duets with other famous old rockers - the fire is gone, the pride is gone, they're just enjoying themselves.

Art "greatness" is often related to novelty and trendiness... there are probably many writers and such that improved their craft consistently over the decades, but are still best known for their early works, which were more exciting and influential.

There's a book about this that I've wanted to read. Or, more accurately, would like to hear a Podcast-length summary of.
   125. PreservedFish Posted: April 08, 2019 at 11:53 AM (#5829559)
Oh, I found a podcast-length interview of the author. brb, learning.
   126. My name is Votto, and I love to get blotto Posted: April 08, 2019 at 12:04 PM (#5829563)
Delaney sounds like an idiot in these tweets.

I admit I had to look the dude up, so.

He's known for being a one-liner machine on Twitter, and an unabashed leftist.

Also, if you're married and have not watched "Catastrophe" (Amazon Prime), do so right now.
   127. Lassus Posted: April 08, 2019 at 12:26 PM (#5829575)
Alt Shift X has a bunch of great GoT content on his channel, if you want to go down a giant Got wormhole before Sunday

I love commentary on what has HAPPENED, I generally bore of commentary on what's GOING to happen.

However, as long as we are talking, allow me to reprint a banned member's prediction, and my response:

TOMAHAWK STABBER:
Since we’re a week out, a prediction post:

Arya dies
Brienne dies.
Danny dies.
Jaime dies.
Jon becomes the new king of the Others and rules the true north with no life beyond the new wall.
Sansa and Tyrion share the Iron Throne of the south. Tyrion controls the remaining dragon.
Bronn is named hand of the Queen.

Well-adjusted Mets fan:
I was trying to figure out why this didn't work, and it eventually came to me.

I know everyone can die, Red wedding, blah blah blah. But Arya dead and Sansa alive is simply not a dramatic or narrative arc that makes any sense. Sansa is probably going to die a hero, possibly with a sacrificial act to turn her from post-millennial petulant child into true noble leader/heir to Sean Stark. Arya might die, sure, but it's more likely that she will return to a non-angel-of-death state of some sort. Actually, perhaps Consiglieri to the Queen.

Tyrion, on the other hand, is dead as a doornail. It completes his arc quite nicely.

Jaime lives or dies a hero. Jon lives, Danni lives, Bronn lives.
I can back away a BIT from Tyrion's death I supposed, but it's just the right amount of shock value and appropriate arc. But in backing away, there's no way BOTH Sansa and Tyrion live.

I didn't include it, but I think Pod dies and Brienne lives. Despite what I wrote above, with a night's sleep, I now think Bronn dies.

128. Jeremy Renner App is Dead and I killed it Posted: April 08, 2019 at 12:27 PM (#5829576)
126--totally true on Catastrophe
   129. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: April 08, 2019 at 12:31 PM (#5829579)
I think a lot of artists have a limited number of great ideas. There are many bands that never improved on their debut album, and you're more likely to use the good ones up first.

Older people are more comfortable, less ambitious.

Older people are less ambitious if they've achieved something. There are plenty of old starving artists slaving away, but they're just not any good.

I think the reality is that if you have any spark of genius in you, it's going to come out in the first 40 years. And most people deplete their good ideas quickly; many have only one.
   130. Lassus Posted: April 08, 2019 at 12:51 PM (#5829595)

Beethoven's 9th was written when he was 52. Bach's the Art of the Fugue was written when he was 60. Lutoslawski's 3rd Symphony was written in his 60's. Wagner, Verdi, Rossini, etc.

Classical composers and maybe visual artists don't seem to necessarily line up with this? Or are these on the end of the bell curve?
   131. PreservedFish Posted: April 08, 2019 at 12:53 PM (#5829600)
Listening to the author ... his big distinction is between Conceptual and Experimental artists. Conceptual artists peak young. They have big ideas that blow minds. Experimental artists don't have big ideas, but they slowly get better and better, over decades, and peak late. His favorite examples are Picasso, who peaked at age 26 with the invention of Cubism, and Cezanne, who peaked at age 67.
   132. PreservedFish Posted: April 08, 2019 at 01:01 PM (#5829604)
Other examples:

Hemingway vs Twain
Welles vs Hitchcock
   133. Lassus Posted: April 08, 2019 at 01:13 PM (#5829612)
I dunno. Picasso painted Guernica at 56, 30 years after his peak?
   134. BrianBrianson Posted: April 08, 2019 at 01:14 PM (#5829614)

A similar thing sometimes gets claimed in science and math, and I think the answer there is pretty clear: It's probably entirely a selection bias. If you start off great, you get a lot of chances to continue, even if they suck. If you start off lousy, you quit.
   135. PreservedFish Posted: April 08, 2019 at 01:15 PM (#5829615)
Paraphrasing him now: "Since the Renaissance, there has been a widespread assumption that great creativity is the special domain of youth... the word genius has been associated with artists and scholars who make sudden, dramatic innovations at an early age."

I'm probably guilty of casually agreeing with this.
   136. PreservedFish Posted: April 08, 2019 at 01:24 PM (#5829619)
Picasso painted Guernica at 56, 30 years after his peak?

I imagine there are a few singular figures that can succeed both young and old, in both styles of creativity. Or that can produce epoch-making conceptual art more than once.

Miles Davis is an obvious example, he was a pioneering genius in the 50s ... and was still a pioneering genius a generation later, playing music that had almost nothing to do with what he'd first made his name with.

Any time you try and boil the world down into simple categories, it'll fall apart on close examination. But I think the guy's idea is broadly correct.

It's probably entirely a selection bias.

Yes, I think that has a truly huge effect.
   137. Lassus Posted: April 08, 2019 at 01:36 PM (#5829624)
#136 is perfectly fair.

It also made me think about XTC's Apple Venus Vol. 1, which came out 25 years after their formation and ranks with me as basically their best album, although I'm sure there would be endless debate there.
   138. PreservedFish Posted: April 08, 2019 at 01:45 PM (#5829632)
The band Swans achieved their critical apotheosis 30 years after forming.

I've been listening to a lot of Talk Talk lately - the band only existed for 10 years, but within those ten years they gradually and purposefully shifted from typical 80's synthy new wave towards a kind of unique and unnameable lush, organic, loosely-structured experimental thing. It's the gradualness of it that's interesting - this author states that most of the older creative types do not have major late breakthroughs but rather pick away at a problem or patiently try and try and try to achieve something specific. He says that the young geniuses are usually cocksure, but the old masters frequently lack confidence, and regret that they never actually achieve what they've been approaching for so long, like Da Vinci spending 20+ years on the Mona Lisa and never actually finishing it.
   139. vortex of dissipation Posted: April 08, 2019 at 01:48 PM (#5829635)
Whether you want to credit engineers as artists is up to you, but there have been engineers who have continued to create innovative concepts throughout their careers. I'm thinking of aircraft designer Sir Sydney Camm - he started out designing open cockpit, fixed landing gear biplanes for Hawker in the 1920s, remained at the forefront of aircraft design with WW2 fighters such as the Hurricane and Tempest, post-war jets such as the Hunter, and his final significant design was the Hawker Harrier vertical take-off and landing jet, a revolutionary design that first flew (in its P.1127 form, the proof of concept prototype the Harrier was developed from) when Camm was 67 years old.
   140. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: April 08, 2019 at 02:43 PM (#5829663)
Perhaps 'art' and 'craft' - not just for engineering, but also for music, theater, whatever - are useful distinctions to bear in mind. I can imagine an awful lot of artists whose early work is what gets them the opportunity and space to create mechanistically "better", more polished works, but that are less likely to have that spark of the 'new' that characterises younger creation.
   141. BrianBrianson Posted: April 08, 2019 at 02:59 PM (#5829667)
Oh, indeed, success probably begets resources, and brings collaborations/apprentices that'll boost you. So I'm sure that helps.

But, as far as analogising science and math, the example that sticks in my mind is Josephson, who clearly deserves the Nobel he got for his grad school work, but if you re-ordered what he's done so he doesn't start with that, there's no way he'd be allowed into a physics department for so much as to use the bathroom. So, the same career simply can't peak at late times, as there's no way he'd be given the chance.
   142. Dromedary pretzels, only half a dinar (CoB). Posted: April 08, 2019 at 03:57 PM (#5829700)
Dylan made Time Out of Mind @56
   143. Davo Posted: April 08, 2019 at 04:13 PM (#5829704)
142- My wife and I just saw the 2018 film Life Itself.

It was unspeakably awful, but, it verrrry heavily featured Bob Dylan’s Time Out of Mind, in almost every way possible. Characters listen to it, they sing it, they talk about it, like 9 different versions of songs on it show up in the soundtrack, we get an anonymous VO providing a critical review of the album....Yeah. It’s a big part of it.
   144. Dr. Vaux Posted: April 08, 2019 at 04:23 PM (#5829707)
As Lassus points out, in classical music, composers produce great works at all ages, and the tendency is for the greatest ones to come later (or at least for the quality to not drop off in any way). A contributing factor to that might be that it's an art for which physical senses and reflexes matter hardly at all; you just have to be able to get the notes onto the page. Even mental quickness only matters to a point, because you have plenty of time to think about it. Types of music that involve improvisation would perhaps be a different story.
   145. Eric L Posted: April 08, 2019 at 04:35 PM (#5829713)
Yes, Time Out of Find is a great late life work. It is an exception that indicates the norm. He was in the wilderness for years prior and it took a mortality moment to jar himself back into peak mode.
   146. PreservedFish Posted: April 08, 2019 at 04:40 PM (#5829715)
I would say that even Blood on the Tracks is more an “old master” work than a “young genius” work.
   147. Eric L Posted: April 08, 2019 at 05:18 PM (#5829729)
PF, agreed!
   148. Lassus Posted: April 08, 2019 at 06:40 PM (#5829754)
Dylan ruins everything. I was somewhat interested in reactions to my GoT predictions.
   149. Baldrick Posted: April 08, 2019 at 06:54 PM (#5829758)
Immanuel Kant was nearly 60 before he produced any of his significant work. He had been a fairly popular writer in his earlier years, producing work that mostly has not stood the test of time. But then he went on long break and came back with four or five books in his 60s and 70s that completely changed the scope of modern philosophy.
   150. Davo Posted: April 08, 2019 at 07:01 PM (#5829759)
I have a pop culture update for you old people. I know about it because I am young and hip.

An amateur rapper named Lil Nas X recorded a song called “Old Town Road” in December. The song itself is pretty jokey to me, with silly lyrics about “riding on my tractor/cowboy hat from Gucci/Wrangler on my booty” etc. It’s set to a slow beat, and samples a twangy guitar loop.

It ‘went viral’ for some odd reason (a bunch of people began uploading videos of them changing into cowboy clothes set to the song). The kid got signed to a major label and the song started shooting up the charts.

Now. There’s a controversy! Because “charts” it shot up were the Billboard rap charts and the Billboard country charts. And it’s a lot easier to get on the country charts, and in fact it debuted in the #1 spot.

BUT! Billboard intervened—they removed it from the country charts by saying it wasn’t a real country song!

Lil Nas X and his defenders believe his race was a factor (Mr Nas X is a black guy from Atlanta; the country charts are roughly 100% white artists.) But. The decision was final.

But then like two days ago Nas X re-recorded a “remixed” version of the song, this one featuring the vocals of one Billy Ray Cyrus. This one appears to pass Billboard’s test. But. We will wait and see!

Ok back to your studies.
   151. Dromedary pretzels, only half a dinar (CoB). Posted: April 08, 2019 at 07:27 PM (#5829764)
Jon becomes the new king of the Others and rules the true north with no life beyond the new wall.

There is fan theory that the Starks have the blood of the Others in them from a half-breed baby of the Night's King (who was possibly a Stark) and his Other Queen.

Warning ... history AND speculation included.
   152. vortex of dissipation Posted: April 08, 2019 at 09:11 PM (#5829794)
Mr Nas X is a black guy from Atlanta; the country charts are roughly 100% white artists.

Except for ex-Hootie & the Blowfish singer Darius Rucker. He's had multiple top 10 hits on the country charts.
   153. Davo Posted: April 08, 2019 at 09:43 PM (#5829801)
We are watching a BBC miniseries titled Mrs. Wilson. It’s the story of British novelist Alexander Wilson, who lived a secret life as an MI6 spy for several decades, the lurid details of which weren’t pieced together by his wife until years after his death. (The most shocking is that he was a polygamist, with two other wives and families.)

Anyway. It’s pretty standard BBC affair...with one exception. The titular Mrs Wilson (Alison) is played by the BAFTA-nominated character actress Ruth Wilson, whom I just saw (and adored) in The Little Stranger. But behind the scenes.....

I’ll just say it: Alexander Wilson is her real-life grandfather.. Or that is: She’s playing her own grandmother.
   154. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: April 09, 2019 at 12:06 AM (#5829818)
Mr Nas X is a black guy from Atlanta; the country charts are roughly 100% white artists.

You've forgotten about Clint Black.
   155. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: April 09, 2019 at 03:12 AM (#5829829)
I was somewhat interested in reactions to my GoT predictions.

Read the first four books and watched the show with - at first - great interest, but kind of tailed off the last couple of seasons. Definitely agree that Jon and Danerys are living; I think the showrunnners have found their headline couple. Arya to disappear off in the sunset and abandon her legacy and name completely. I think most of our 'good guys' live - Jaime dies redeeming himself, and maybe a few others synonymous with the status quo in the early seasons. Tyrion maybe.

Frankly, my gut feeling is that the showrunners have had enough of Ned Stark/Red Wedding escapades and have decided to lean into the 'LoTR with violence and sex' elements, happy ending included. I might be reading this entirely wrong, but the last season, particularly for Cersei, Tyrion, and Danerys, made me think that the pieces are in place. As if the original Star Wars trilogy had started with Empire, if you like. A generational changing of the guard at the end as the youngest Starks, Danerys and their allies ascend.

I could definitely be wrong about this. But even Martin's original book titles suggest a turning towards 'summer' as the conclusion of the cycle. I think, given the size of the phenomenon, the HBO showrunners will go for the happy ending - which would be a real let-down for me, as I think it betrays one of the main differentiators of the story.
   156. PreservedFish Posted: April 09, 2019 at 07:05 AM (#5829832)
To what extent are the writers attempting to fulfill the secret Martin vision?

I was deeply disappointed when Jon Snow came back to life, I thought that was cheesy as all hell and I support the death of all characters with traditionally heroic qualities. He should have at least been resurrected with some new grotesque features, right? Like an eyeball dangling out of its socket or something? In earlier years I would have been incensed about a Tyrion death, but he's been less charismatic recently, less rakish and more ponderous, and it's the last season anyway, so now I'm content to let him burn.

I'm not super interested in making predictions - IMO the show works best when it ignores things like "dramatic and narrative arcs that make sense," and I am even less interested in what HBO executives might favor.
   157. Lassus Posted: April 09, 2019 at 07:42 AM (#5829835)
Warning ... history AND speculation included.

That video was very well-made.
   158. JC in DC Posted: April 09, 2019 at 09:50 AM (#5829864)
Lassus: I love Apple Venus. And I love the later Swans stuff as well.
   159. Davo Posted: April 09, 2019 at 12:41 PM (#5829976)
Netflix In Talks To Acquire Hollywood’s Historic Egyptian Theatre From American Cinematheque
Like most nonprofits, the Cinematheque has been cash strapped in recent years. The organization presents screenings of historic, rarely seen movies from the U.S and overseas. It is presently running a Film Noir week, with important filmmakers addressing overflow audiences. (...)

Both parties look at this as something of a partnership, sources said. Netflix will program its screenings for weekday nights while the Cinematheque runs screenings, lectures and occasional festivals on weekends on an autonomous basis. The organization will be able to expand its programming with the financial resources from this deal. Netflix will hold occasional special screenings and events for some of its splashiest movie launches.

capitalism will destroy everything u love
   160. Davo Posted: April 09, 2019 at 12:55 PM (#5829984)
@labuzamovies
The theater I saw Barbara Hammer's NITRATE KISSES, PASSION OF JOAN OF ARC with full choir, and numerous other discoveries from around the globe is going to be where I can see the sequel to TRIPLE FRONTIER for $17.
   161. jmurph Posted: April 09, 2019 at 01:25 PM (#5829997)
Ahhh yes, that great tradition of non-capitalist movies.

I have learned from the internet that the Egyptian was the site of the first big Hollywood movie premier in history, Robin Hood, in 1922. Tickets cost $5. IN 1922 DOLLARS.
   162. PreservedFish Posted: April 09, 2019 at 01:33 PM (#5830003)
I think in Europe there is in fact a great tradition of gov't funding for exciting artsy movies. But yeah, I had the same initial response. Also, I considered how early Netflix was, for a while, the best possible portal for "historic, rarely seen movies from the U.S and overseas" - back in the years where you were at the mercy of the library DVD collection or what art house theaters you were lucky enough to live nearby. Unless you were one of those fat cats buying Criterion DVDs left and right.
   163. jmurph Posted: April 09, 2019 at 01:34 PM (#5830005)
I think in Europe there is in fact a great tradition of gov't funding for exciting artsy movies.

Yep, should have specified American.
   164. jmurph Posted: April 09, 2019 at 01:39 PM (#5830006)
Also, I considered how early Netflix was, for a while, the best possible portal for "historic, rarely seen movies from the U.S and overseas" - back in the years where you were at the mercy of the library DVD collection or what art house theaters you were lucky enough to live nearby.

The first year or so I had a Netflix DVD subscription was absolutely magical on this front, catching up on so many things I hadn't been able to see before.

Anyway, in the battle of the multinational corporations that filter all of our cultural offerings, I can't imagine having too strong of a preference for one over another.
   165. Davo Posted: April 09, 2019 at 02:45 PM (#5830058)
Christopher Nolan’s next film is “a sci-fi action-thriller about time travel, with two intersecting storylines, one set in the near future and one in the 1950’s.”
   166. Davo Posted: April 09, 2019 at 02:46 PM (#5830059)
John David Washington and Robert Pattinson are playing scientists who travel from the future to the past and get caught up in a conspiracy involving a femme fatale played by Elizabeth Debicki.
   167. Davo Posted: April 09, 2019 at 02:55 PM (#5830067)
HBO Nordics' first original series Gösta starts filming

Vilhelm Blomgren makes his TV drama debut in the eight-part series written and directed by Lukas Moodysson for Memfis Film. ...He plays 28-year old child psychologist Gösta who gets his first job in a small rural town. He wants to be the kindest person in the world and help everyone he meets, but it doesn’t always go according to plan.
   168. Dromedary pretzels, only half a dinar (CoB). Posted: April 09, 2019 at 03:08 PM (#5830074)
That's terrible news about the Egyptian, it's a great, great theater. Saw many amazing movies there when I lived in LA, had some amazing movie going experiences there.

It's where I got into a conversation with Salma Hayek, who was in front of me in the will call line for our tickets to Lawrence of Arabia.

It's a pity that someone with F You money didn't step up and buy it, the way that Tarantino did with the New Beverly.

Don't like many of his movies, but he's aces in my book forever for that move.
   169. chisoxcollector Posted: April 09, 2019 at 06:40 PM (#5830200)
So I’m trying to watch Looking For Richard for my Blindspotting project. I guess you really have to be into Shakespeare to enjoy it, huh? I’m about 30 minutes in and I’m having a hard time continuing. I confess that I am a total pleb when it comes to Shakespeare. I fear that my BBTF access will now be revoked.

I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised by how good Scarecrow was. I had never even heard of this film until the Warner Archive Collection blu-ray came out recently. It’s a very tender story about male friendship, with phenomenal performances from Pacino and Hackman. I highly recommend it.
   170. Davo Posted: April 09, 2019 at 07:18 PM (#5830208)
You shoulda gone with Jack and Jill, we warned you.
   171. chisoxcollector Posted: April 09, 2019 at 07:40 PM (#5830210)
You shoulda gone with Jack and Jill, we warned you.

Lmao, there is a vast middle ground between Shakespeare and what I’ve heard is probably the worst Adam Sandler movie (and that’s saying something).
   172. PreservedFish Posted: April 09, 2019 at 07:48 PM (#5830212)
You must be ignoring at least one brave critical opinion on the film.

"Sandler’s willingness to appear “dumb” is what makes his films so cathartic. He thrives on being unembarrassed–the key to classic comedy going back to the Greeks."
   173. Davo Posted: April 09, 2019 at 07:51 PM (#5830215)
I’m sorry, I just haven’t been able to get that “Dunkaccino” song out of my head.
   174. Dromedary pretzels, only half a dinar (CoB). Posted: April 09, 2019 at 08:00 PM (#5830216)
I knew without having to look that review in #172 was from Armond White ...
   175. Davo Posted: April 09, 2019 at 08:27 PM (#5830223)
I just saw the Lubitsch movie that White references throughout the review (Cluny Brown.

I’m, uh, skeptical the Sandler title reaches those heights.
   176. Davo Posted: April 09, 2019 at 10:56 PM (#5830277)
Are there any formal elements that distinguish one episode of Game of Thrones episode from another?
   177. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: April 10, 2019 at 03:31 AM (#5830308)
So I’m trying to watch Looking For Richard for my Blindspotting project. I guess you really have to be into Shakespeare to enjoy it, huh? I’m about 30 minutes in and I’m having a hard time continuing. I confess that I am a total pleb when it comes to Shakespeare. I fear that my BBTF access will now be revoked.

I re-watched it last weekend after recommending it. I don't think being a huge Shakespeare fan is necessary - I've seen quite a lot on stage, mainly due to my mother being college friends with Alex Jennings and getting a lot of free tickets while he was in the RSC - but I think part of the pleasure is seeing actors kicking around ideas, putting different spins on the scenes, and the contrast between the very human behind the scenes stuff and the portentous settings, words, and history is enjoyable to me.

In the second half of the movie, some of the 'what does this mean in plain English?' stuff falls away and it's more about completing the story itself - the movie gradually lets you try out the familiarisation that it's telling you about in the first half. You get some great Pacino line readings too - his "I am not in a giving vein" hiss really grabbed me. (It's also really funny in places - Pacino walking out on stage to see only a Shakespeare lookalike in the audience and dropping an F-bomb is perfect, and "But why does he get to speak directly to camera?!?" is a great tension breaker.)

Personally, it's also a little about time and place. Pacino strolling through summertime 1990s Manhattan 'peddling Shakespeare' and chatting with that cast (Branagh, James Earl Jones, Vanessa Redgrave, Alec Baldwin, Winona Ryder, and on, and on) mixed in with a bit of stodgy old England. Definitely not a universal experience or an easy movie to love, though!
   178. Lassus Posted: April 10, 2019 at 06:37 AM (#5830312)
Are there any formal elements that distinguish one episode of Game of Thrones episode from another?

Are there any formal elements that distinguish one of the 8 parts Middlemarch from another?
   179. PreservedFish Posted: April 10, 2019 at 08:07 AM (#5830318)

Not really.

In the podcast I listened to above about the Young Geniuses and Old Masters, the author asserts that Young Genius novels are almost always formally daring at the expense of character, and that Old Master novels are almost always detailed character studies but formally unadventurous, and that, moreover, the Old Master novels often don't even have tight plots because character study and character growth tend to actually subvert a really tightly constructed plot.

GRR Martin may be one of the greatest examples of the Old Master theory - he had 25 years of writing behind him before he published the first Thrones novel, he's dedicated the second half of his life to this one project, and as he's aged the books have apparently become more and more concerned with character study and world building and less and less concerned with plot. People speculate that at this point he doesn't even know how to wrap up the plot.
   180. BrianBrianson Posted: April 10, 2019 at 09:18 AM (#5830339)
"Sandler’s willingness to appear “dumb” is what makes his films so cathartic. He thrives on being unembarrassed–the key to classic comedy going back to the Greeks."

Then don't half-way it. I've genuinely come around to thinking Freddie Got Fingered is a truly epic movie. It's ... it's spectacular.

I mean - it's also truly, deliberately terrible. But the movie's underlying theme - that it was a terrible idea to give Tom Green $16 million dollars to make a movie - rings as true today as it did then.

Honestly, you'll laugh like a man who jumped out of an airplane, then realised he forgot his parachute, and now has nothing to do but laugh as he watches the ground rush up to meet him. It's very cathartic.
   181. jmurph Posted: April 10, 2019 at 09:38 AM (#5830349)
We are watching a BBC miniseries titled Mrs. Wilson.

Hey Davo, is this any good (on the sliding scale of things that make it to PBS)? My wife and I have a soft spot for the Masterpiece stuff.
   182. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: April 10, 2019 at 09:42 AM (#5830350)
Rob Delaney is an interesting and funny guy, even if his twitter persona doesn't always land for me (he's an absurdist, that's normally hit and miss). Outside of comedy and political advocacy, he's garnered some attention for how he's coped with grief (having lost a child, an event thatseems to have accelerated his political awakening).
That said, he'll always be Colby Toboggan to me.
   183. Davo Posted: April 10, 2019 at 09:45 AM (#5830353)
178-
Gotcha, thanks. That’s what it’s looked like to me, but I have only been half-watching with my wife. I was kinda wondering if they’d ever had a like “bottle episode” where we just watch Tyrion and Cersei hang out for an hour. Or flashbacks—are there any of those, where they just pause the story and show us a tale from someone’s past?
   184. Davo Posted: April 10, 2019 at 09:57 AM (#5830357)
181- My wife ADORES the Masterpiece style, and she thought the show was “fine.” The ending is unexpected and I suspect most will find it unsatisfying; it pointedly does not deliver what we want. I quite loved it, though I’m a sucker for TradCath stuff.

Ruth Davis is so great, so I can recommend it for her performance alone. In fact, right after it was done I asked my wife to find some other BBC show she was on because I want to watch her in EVERYTHING now. (She was in a Jane Eyre adaptation a decade ago, apparently, so, that’s next!)
   185. PreservedFish Posted: April 10, 2019 at 10:04 AM (#5830363)
Gotcha. That’s what it’s looked like to me, but I have only been half-watching with my wife. I was kinda wondering if they’d ever had a like “bottle episode” where we just watch Tyrion and Cersei hang out for an hour. Or flashbacks—are there any of those, where they just pause the story and show us a tale from someone’s past?

I don't recall them doing this for the length of an episode, but the narrative will absolutely switch between crazy action and slow, slow character development. There are definitely parts where it seems like nothing's happening, where it's just characters hanging out.

There are some critical flashbacks, but I think they're usually diegetic - eg, a character experiences the flashback via arboreal sorcery or whatnot.
   186. jmurph Posted: April 10, 2019 at 10:16 AM (#5830367)
My wife ADORES the Masterpiece style, and she thought the show was “fine.” The ending is unexpected and I suspect most will find it unsatisfying; it pointedly does not deliver what we want. I quite loved it, though I’m a sucker for TradCath stuff.

Thanks, we'll probably watch at some point.
   187. Nasty Nate Posted: April 10, 2019 at 11:55 AM (#5830409)
There are some critical flashbacks, but I think they're usually diegetic - eg, a character experiences the flashback via arboreal sorcery or whatnot.
Yeah, I think originally they had a self-imposed no flashbacks rule. The visions of Bran are kind of a loophole. And then I think they did a direct flashback scene with Cersei getting a prophecy as a teenager.
   188. Davo Posted: April 11, 2019 at 12:58 AM (#5830726)
'Space Jam 2' news... Ryan Coogler is rewriting the script // Steph Curry, James Harden, & Kevin Durant won't appear in the film largely due to sneaker contracts // Film will rely less on All-Star hoopers & more on LeBron's family arc
   189. vortex of dissipation Posted: April 11, 2019 at 03:22 AM (#5830731)
Just got back from seeing Perfume in Seattle tonight - a spectacular show, and I had great seats in the second row of the balcony. Their music makes me so happy. I love "serious" rock music, but I also have a weakness for well done pop, and they do it as well as anybody. Perfume are one of the biggest pop groups in Japan, and play stadiums and arenas there, so seeing them in a small theater was a treat. Great songs, inventive choreography, state of the art video, lighting, and special effects, and a style and presence all their own. Here's "Electro World", one of my favorites of theirs, live at the Tokyo Dome. They did it just about exactly like this tonight, just on a smaller stage. The "trip" at 3:40 isn't a trip, BTW. it's part of the choreography...
   190. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: April 11, 2019 at 06:03 AM (#5830733)
#175:
I just saw the Lubitsch movie that White references throughout the review (Cluny Brown).

I’m, uh, skeptical the Sandler title reaches those heights.

Billy Wilder had a sign on the wall of his office that read, "How would Lubitsch do it? Maybe by getting his head stuck in a moose's anus, until the moose farts it out."
   191. PreservedFish Posted: April 11, 2019 at 09:11 AM (#5830750)
Here's "Electro World", one of my favorites of theirs, live at the Tokyo Dome.

Vortex, you deserve an awful lot of slack on this adorable Japanese chick thing because you know so much about music, and your recommendations are usually so excellent, even in the adorable Japanese rocker chick genre. I enjoy those links a lot. However, we've all wondered how much you're listening with your ears, and how much with your testicles, and I humbly suggest that this latest link suggests the great extent to which the latter informs your fandom. All I see is three cute girls lip-synching a charmless international electropop. Difficult to imagine you recommending music that sounds like this if it weren't fronted by adorable Japanese chicks. And I can only wonder how creepy the other attendees thought the old guy in the second row of the balcony was...
   192. Lassus Posted: April 11, 2019 at 10:57 AM (#5830794)
While I think that might be a little harsh, I admit that unlike the last two Vortex band links, this one was more of a "what the?" reaction.
   193. PreservedFish Posted: April 11, 2019 at 11:38 AM (#5830802)
I love and respect Vortex, and hope he can receive my comment in good humor.
   194. Fernigal McGunnigle Posted: April 11, 2019 at 01:15 PM (#5830842)
People speculate that at this point he doesn't even know how to wrap up the plot.
If I'm GRR Martin at this point I write three more novels and one press release:

1. More of the same, whatever random developments he finds interesting, adding in a few points about things north of the Wall getting worse and worse. ("Things in the North going south".) The stuff that forms the bulk of the novel doesn't have to have any sort of real tie to the conclusion of the series; the disjunction is the point. End with the Others/white walkers getting over or past the wall somehow.
2. Open with a strong force sent by whoever's running the north (Stannis, the Boltons, whoever) getting completely smashed by the Others. This is the "oh ####" moment, and the rest of the book is about everyone in Westeros either pivoting to face the real threat, trying to take advantage of everyone else's pivot, or trying to run away. There's just enough self-interest and cowardice that none of the resistance does anything important, and the Others roll over everyone.
3. A post-apocalyptic, "scattered survivors" novel, about the few hardy souls still alive in a world of the dead. There are occasional bouts of hope for a magic bullet (maybe the Summer Isles are OK! Maybe we can put powdered dragonglass in the drinking water!) but in the end we're certain that the random survivors can't hope for much more than a continued day-to-day scraping by.

The the press release: "A Song of Ice and Fire has been an extended metaphor for climate change. We're all ####### around and doing endless random #### with no connection to anything while the real enemy makes its appearance in the far north. Won't anyone think of the polar bears? We're all doomed. Love, GRRM"

(I haven't read anything of the pre-released excerpts, FWIW.)
   195. Baldrick Posted: April 11, 2019 at 02:48 PM (#5830900)
I think it's a pretty nice song?

It's also more than a little aggressive to jump from 'you clearly like a certain aesthetic' to 'the only explanation for liking this is that you're horny.' I think it's wonderful that much of the popular music from Asia these days is directly challenging the principle that rock = dudes, and developing a different vibe around the music. It's obviously possible to appreciate that on levels that have nothing to do with sexual attraction.

Just as obviously, the sexual energy around attractive people performing pop music is a part of their appeal, just like it has always been. From Elvis to Madonna to boy bands and so forth.
   196. Baldrick Posted: April 11, 2019 at 02:50 PM (#5830902)
Also IIRC, vortex you were talking in a previous thread about feeling anxious about attending live shows but were set on overcoming it. If so (again, IIRC) congrats on taking the leap and finding some joy out there!
   197. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: April 11, 2019 at 03:41 PM (#5830941)
Also IIRC, vortex you were talking in a previous thread about feeling anxious about attending live shows but were set on overcoming it. If so (again, IIRC) congrats on taking the leap and finding some joy out there!
Seconded! Now you can go and see some real music next time!

I kid, I kid. (About the second part. The congratulations are sincere.)
   198. JJ1986 Posted: April 12, 2019 at 09:17 AM (#5831118)
Twitter is usually pretty good about showing me trends that I am interested in, but about half of them this morning are about a Korean boy band and I'm not sure where they got that from.
   199. Davo Posted: April 12, 2019 at 12:00 PM (#5831167)
what about Star Peace???????
   200. Davo Posted: April 12, 2019 at 12:27 PM (#5831173)
“Hanna” Renewed for a Second Season at Amazon
Page 2 of 7 pages  < 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
BarrysLazyBoy
for his generous support.