Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, April 01, 2019

OT - Catch-All Pop Culture Extravaganza (April 2019)

Guess how many songs in the Top 10 biggest tracks in the U.S. last year were written by a solo songwriter? Zero. The year before that? Zero.

In 2016, just one solo-written song made the year-end Top 10: “Stressed Out,” by 21 Pilots, written by Tyler Joseph. In 2015, there was also just one solo-written track (Fetty Wap’s “Trap Queen”), while in 2014 there were two, including “Counting Stars,” by One Republic (written by Ryan Tedder), and the biggest song of that year, “Happy,” by Pharrell Williams.

This is a snapshot of an overwhelming trend in the music industry over the past decade: the near-complete decline of the solo singer-songwriter pop hit, and the near-complete dominance of songs written by committee.

Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: April 01, 2019 at 08:38 PM | 688 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: movies, music, off-topic, television, whatever else belongs under the rubric of 'popular culture'

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 5 of 7 pages ‹ First  < 3 4 5 6 7 > 
   401. Lassus Posted: April 23, 2019 at 04:15 PM (#5834552)
I'm not sure what #399 means, Maisie Williams is not really near ugly.

I also was not weirded out remotely by her nakedness.
   402. It was something about the man-spider and sodomy, Posted: April 23, 2019 at 04:19 PM (#5834554)
A good friend's ugly daughter?

She can twitch those eyebrows at me anytime ...
   403. Hysterical & Useless Posted: April 23, 2019 at 04:19 PM (#5834555)
Shooty, I sent you an email via the site. Hope you still use that address!
   404. Hysterical & Useless Posted: April 23, 2019 at 04:20 PM (#5834557)
I'm not sure what #399 means, Maisie Williams is not really near ugly

I haven't seen the show, I was just thinking Under what circumstance would I not want to see a girl naked?
   405. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: April 23, 2019 at 04:23 PM (#5834560)
Re: prudes and Game of Thrones, I liked this recent exchange on Catholic Twitter:

@ebruenig (Liz Bruenig)
I was home from grad school and my parents had it on and they burned this little girl alive...I was like, ####, I guess I don’t need HBO lmfao

@DavidSloane
The girl getting burned alive was to show how awful the father character was and then he dies

@ebeuenig
edifying
   406. Howie Menckel Posted: April 23, 2019 at 04:34 PM (#5834568)
Anyway I expect in next week’s episode there will be tons and tons of killing, and that the characters who show any qualms about killing will in turn be killed themselves.

I'm not too proud to admit that I'm a little terrified of people who watch this show. there, I said it
:)
   407. Lassus Posted: April 23, 2019 at 04:35 PM (#5834570)
I haven't seen the show, I was just thinking Under what circumstance would I not want to see a girl naked?

Very fair clarification, thank you.

Re: #405, almost EXACTLY like with JE, I feel like Davo cannot (or will not) grasp that other people's brains do not operate in the exact same way his does, so anything he writes with no comment, explanation, clarification, or expansion is perfectly understood by everyone. As in, how could it not? It's frustrating.
   408. It was something about the man-spider and sodomy, Posted: April 23, 2019 at 04:41 PM (#5834573)

She can twitch those eyebrows at me anytime ...

Maisie is ... awesome. That is all.
   409. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: April 23, 2019 at 04:42 PM (#5834574)
Joe Eszterhas? Jennifer Egan? Jim Edmonds?!?!?
   410. It was something about the man-spider and sodomy, Posted: April 23, 2019 at 04:47 PM (#5834578)
@ebruenig (Liz Bruenig)
I was home from grad school and my parents had it on and they burned this little girl alive...I was like, ####, I guess I don’t need HBO lmfao

@DavidSloane
The girl getting burned alive was to show how awful the father character was and then he dies

@ebeuenig
edifying

Go watch the prequels again ...
   411. PreservedFish Posted: April 23, 2019 at 04:47 PM (#5834579)
Re: #405, ... I feel like Davo cannot (or will not) grasp that other people's brains do not operate in the exact same way his does, so anything he writes with no comment, explanation, clarification, or expansion is perfectly understood by everyone.

Yeah, I was having a tough time figuring out that comment too. Is "edifying" a snide dismissal of the show and its violence? Or maybe it's not sarcastic at all, I mean, Catholicism does have a rich history of celebrating young women burned alive.
   412. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: April 23, 2019 at 04:53 PM (#5834585)
406 - My wife watches it, so I catch a lot through osmosis.

One scene I remember ends with a giant beating up a smaller man and then literally crushing his skull with his hands—he sits on him and just squeezes and squeezes until POP he squishes it like a grape.

And like....man, there were so many skilled and creative craftsmen who worked hours and hours and hours trying to find the *perfect* sound effect for that scene, to create the most disturbing sound possible, the one that most closely resembled that of a real person’s skull getting crushed.

That was the scene that convinced me the show was beyond hope.
   413. PreservedFish Posted: April 23, 2019 at 05:03 PM (#5834588)
What hope did you have for the show before that, exactly? That a meek pacifist character would win the iron throne through the sheer force of his gentleness?
   414. It was something about the man-spider and sodomy, Posted: April 23, 2019 at 05:07 PM (#5834590)
One scene I remember ends with a giant beating up a smaller man and then literally crushing his skull with his hands—he sits on him and just squeezes and squeezes until POP he squishes it like a grape.

And like....man, there were so many skilled and creative craftsmen who worked hours and hours and hours trying to find the *perfect* sound effect for that scene, to create the most disturbing sound possible, the one that most closely resembled that of a real person’s skull getting crushed.

That was the scene that convinced me the show was beyond hope.

Except that was The Mountain versus The Red Viper of Dorne and there are were so many layers to that scene that were obviously lost on you.

The Mountain, The Viper, Elia, Rhaegar, Lyanna, Tyrion, Tywin, Dorne, House Lannister, House Baratheon, etc ... etc.

The fact that these things are lost on you ... is on you.

But perhaps you should just rewatch some "Episode 1" scenes with Jar Jar Binks in them ...
   415. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: April 23, 2019 at 05:10 PM (#5834593)
414- edifying
   416. It was something about the man-spider and sodomy, Posted: April 23, 2019 at 05:13 PM (#5834596)
#415 Mesa called Jar Jar Binks, mesa your humble servant!
   417. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: April 23, 2019 at 05:17 PM (#5834599)
Jar Jar rose to power without ever intentionally killing anyone (all the deaths in the Battle of Naboo were the result of wacky hijinks and pratfalls). Just saying. It’s possible.

I realize he doesn’t have the pretty face and proper enunciation of your Jon Snows and Dennis Tarragons but he’s doing pretty well for himself.
   418. PreservedFish Posted: April 23, 2019 at 05:19 PM (#5834600)
Well, this pacifist loves violence on the screen. The skull squashing scene was gross but I thought it was compelling and effective. Good TV right there.
   419. It was something about the man-spider and sodomy, Posted: April 23, 2019 at 05:20 PM (#5834601)
Just saying. It’s possible.

Sure thing, Otto ...
   420. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: April 23, 2019 at 06:30 PM (#5834620)
413- Oh it was of course doomed from the start, no way to get the toothpaste back in that tube.
   421. It was something about the man-spider and sodomy, Posted: April 23, 2019 at 06:41 PM (#5834623)
I'm not too proud to admit that I'm a little terrified of people who watch this show. there, I said it

What's the body count on The Wire or Deadwood?
   422. Lassus Posted: April 23, 2019 at 07:19 PM (#5834630)
Sure thing, Otto ...

A Fish Called Wanda is on a very short list of perfect films.
   423. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: April 23, 2019 at 07:28 PM (#5834634)
It doesn’t have quite enough speed racing for my tastes.
   424. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: April 23, 2019 at 07:34 PM (#5834635)
I'm not too proud to admit that I'm a little terrified of people who watch (Game of Thrones). there, I said it

421 What's the body count on The Wire or Deadwood?

I’m guilty of the same hypocrisy: Night and Fog has a body count in the millions!
   425. It was something about the man-spider and sodomy, Posted: April 23, 2019 at 07:35 PM (#5834636)
It doesn’t have quite enough speed racing for my tastes.

Yup.
   426. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: April 23, 2019 at 07:48 PM (#5834637)
It's not the body count but the ########## count that puts Deadwood in the inner circle of profanity.
   427. It was something about the man-spider and sodomy, Posted: April 23, 2019 at 07:51 PM (#5834638)
Hooplehead.
   428. It was something about the man-spider and sodomy, Posted: April 23, 2019 at 08:09 PM (#5834640)
Ray: Ah ... there's a reason you're still here.

Sandor: Aye, there's a reason, I'm a big ###### and I'm tough to kill.

Ray: No ... a reason. Gods aren't done with you yet.

Sandor: Heard that before. Man was talking about a different God though.

Ray: Well, maybe he was right, I don't know much about the Gods.

Sandor: You're in the wrong line of work.

Ray: There's plenty of pious sons-of-####### who think they know the word of God, or Gods. I don't. I don't even know their real names. Maybe it's the Seven. Or maybe it's the Old Gods ... or maybe it's the Lord of Light, or maybe they're the same ####### thing. I don't know. What matters, I believe, is that there's something greater than us. And whatever it is, it's got plans for Sandor Clegane.

Sandor: You didn't know me back in my time. You don't know the things I've done.

Ray: I've heard stories.

Sandor: If the Gods are real ... why haven't they punished me?

Ray: They have.

429. Howie Menckel Posted: April 23, 2019 at 08:09 PM (#5834641)
What's the body count on The Wire or Deadwood?

never saw those, either.
   430. JJ1986 Posted: April 23, 2019 at 08:17 PM (#5834643)
What's the body count on Perry Mason?
   431. It was something about the man-spider and sodomy, Posted: April 23, 2019 at 08:20 PM (#5834645)
never saw those, either.

Get the #### out of here.

You should rectify that, posthaste.
   432. Howie Menckel Posted: April 23, 2019 at 08:24 PM (#5834647)
I haven't seen any movies/TV series with serious violence in at least two decades and never played any violent video games. it's probably too late now.

I'd have to work my way up slowly to avoid the violence equivalence of "the bends" - it would take many years to catch up.
   433. It was something about the man-spider and sodomy, Posted: April 23, 2019 at 08:31 PM (#5834651)
The Wire is likely the finest television show that's ever been written.

Violent? Yes. You come at the King you'd best not miss. But it is truly stories about the American experience. About the death of American urban life and the corruption from within. Drugs, violence and everything that changed. To not watch The Wire is to ignore a story of part of America's soul. As Ali said to Lawrence on the Sun's Anvil, "be warned, you were napping."
   434. PreservedFish Posted: April 23, 2019 at 08:52 PM (#5834661)
I agree that The Wire is the best television drama I've ever seen. The panoply of characters and the variety of authentic experiences that it represents - every nook and cranny of a vastly complex society - can only really be compared to major novelistic projects by authors like Balzac and Dickens. It's the rare work that is both experimental and formally daring AND is chock full of truly compelling characters that develop in genuinely believable ways. And Davo would love the message: the violence is rarely gratuitous, and the show as a whole works very hard to convince the viewer that capitalism has failed and that hierarchies and institutions are corrosive.
   435. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: April 23, 2019 at 09:10 PM (#5834671)
The Wire is fine, almost certainly the best show of its kind I’ve seen; its flaws are limited just to those inherent to the format of US serial television.
   436. Howie Menckel Posted: April 23, 2019 at 09:23 PM (#5834675)
I think this is understood, but I will mention it anyway: I have no criticism of these TV shows or movies - nor those who enjoy them.

I remember a decade ago, someone told me that I reminded him of a character on the first season or two of The Wire. that was interesting.
   437. Lassus Posted: April 23, 2019 at 10:05 PM (#5834692)
I really liked Deadwood, just not as much as everyone else.
   438. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: April 23, 2019 at 10:43 PM (#5834711)
Re: The Wire, I’m actually watching star Dominic West right now, playing Jean Valjean in a non-musical adaptation of Les Miserables on the BBC. David Oyelowo is Javert. It’s all very competent!
   439. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: April 23, 2019 at 10:44 PM (#5834713)
I expect to be underwhelmed by this Deadwood movie which is nearly upon us. I'm sure I'll enjoy the characters which are my favorite of all time.
   440. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: April 23, 2019 at 10:54 PM (#5834721)
In some sad Deadwood news: David Milch announced today that he has Alzheimer’s.
   441. It was something about the man-spider and sodomy, Posted: April 23, 2019 at 11:10 PM (#5834733)
The Wire is fine, almost certainly the best show of its kind I’ve seen; its flaws are limited just to those inherent to the format of US serial television.

Well, it hasn't got sand, so it has that working against it ...
   442. It was something about the man-spider and sodomy, Posted: April 23, 2019 at 11:12 PM (#5834734)
I really liked Deadwood, just not as much as everyone else.

I really love what I love about Deadwood.

I really hate what I hate about Deadwood.
   443. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: April 24, 2019 at 03:24 AM (#5834770)
In news of personal hubris: my 8:30pm showing of Endgame turned out to be a midnight showing of Endgame with an 8:30pm showing of Infinity War (which literally wasn't mentioned anywhere on the ticket, though the midnight part does make sense given release schedules). We planned to give up, but my wife changed her mind after seeing IW again, and we stayed. No intermissions except between the two movies.

But the joke was on us again: 2 hours 30 into 'Endgame', the movie froze, and the theater was evacuated. Something caught on fire, apparently, and after 10 minutes standing around watching fire trucks pull up, we decided to get a taxi and try again at the weekend, rather than risk getting home after 4am (I had a 7:30 start this morning). We were already too old for this crap, to be honest, after our midnight Age of Ultron showing was kind of a bust.

So I've seen about 85% of the movie, but not the ending. Non-spoilers: I would say it leans much more heavily on the previous movies in the series than Infinity War. Definitely a victory lap rather than a launching pad in my view, though of course the ending could change that. If anyone were planning up a catchup before going to a showing, and hasn't seen or doesn't remember the following movies, some specific entries in the series, and not always the obvious ones, would add to the experience.
   444. manchestermets Posted: April 24, 2019 at 04:35 AM (#5834771)
And why would anyone in the 7 Kingdoms believe it?

I've still not given up hope of Howland Reed showing up.
   445. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: April 24, 2019 at 07:53 AM (#5834781)
My jokey comment about seeing Arya naked had nothing to do with her looks, but just the process of having seen her grow up, thus my comment she was like a good friend's daughter that you've seen grown up. Rationally, I'm sure that was a body double but still!
   446. chisoxcollector Posted: April 24, 2019 at 08:10 AM (#5834782)
I've still not given up hope of Howland Reed showing up.

So then it’ll be Jon’s brother and best friend, and one of Jon’s father’s best friends. Still not the best group to convince those inclined not to believe.

They just need Rhaegar and Lyanna to be reanimated by the Night King so they can confirm the truth. Maybe that’s what the Night King has wanted all along! It would explain his interest in Jon and everything.
   447. Crispix Attacksel Rios Posted: April 24, 2019 at 08:39 AM (#5834787)
My jokey comment about seeing Arya naked had nothing to do with her looks, but just the process of having seen her grow up, thus my comment she was like a good friend's daughter that you've seen grown up. Rationally, I'm sure that was a body double but still!

I think it has SOMETHING to do with her looks. She has a real baby face.

Arya (age 15 and 22)and Sansa (age 16 and 23) in modern fashions
   448. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: April 24, 2019 at 08:44 AM (#5834788)

I think it has SOMETHING to do with her looks. She has a real baby face.

Yeah, she does look very young, too. I'm sure that's part of my discomfort. Hard to believe they are almost the same age! Honestly, after watching The Deuce, I'm just happy I'm not completely numb to cable tv nudity.
   449. Nasty Nate Posted: April 24, 2019 at 09:53 AM (#5834796)
If they want new boots or a warmer cloak or maybe a rusted iron halfhelm, they need to take them from a corpse, and before long they are stealing from the living too, from the smallfolk whose lands they're fighting in, men very like the men they used to be. They slaughter their sheep and steal their chickens, and from there it's just a short step to carrying off their daughters too. And one day they look around and realize all their friends and kin are gone, that they are fighting beside strangers beneath a banner that they hardly recognize. They don't know where they are or how to get back home and the lord they're fighting for does not know their names, yet here he comes, shouting for them to form up, to make a line with their spears and scythes and sharpened hoes, to stand their ground. And the knights come down on them, faceless men clad all in steel, and the iron thunder of their charge seems to fill the world . . .

And the man breaks.

He turns and runs, or crawls off afterward over the corpses of the slain, or steals away in the black of night, and he finds someplace to hide. All thought of home is gone by then, and kings and lords and gods mean less to him than a haunch of spoiled meat that will let him live another day, or a skin of bad wine that might drown his fear for a few hours. The broken man lives from day to day, from meal to meal, more beast than man. Lady Brienne is not wrong. In times like these, the traveler must beware of broken men, and fear them . . . but he should pity them as well.
   450. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: April 24, 2019 at 10:14 AM (#5834799)
Cannes: Directors' Fortnight Unveils Lineup
Oscar winner Luca Guadagnino's short film The Staggering Girl will make its world premiere in the Fortnight lineup in a special screening.

Rebecca Zlotowski's coming-of-age story An Easy Girl and Bertrand Bonello's voodo drama Zombi Child, both of which had been tipped for slots this year, will also world premiere in the section, organizers unveiled Tuesday.

Eggers' The Lighthouse, the 35mm, black-and-white epic, is also in the competition portion of the section, after being a surprise omission from Cannes' Official Selection.

The sidebar will also bring in director Robert Rodriguez for a master class, following the international premiere of his famously low-budget thriller Red 11.

(...)See the complete lineup for the Directors' Fortnight below:

Also, an updated Letterboxd list of every film in the festival (with full details).
   451. bunyon Posted: April 24, 2019 at 12:17 PM (#5834840)
But the joke was on us again: 2 hours 30 into 'Endgame', the movie froze, and the theater was evacuated.

Not a joke. That's how the movie ends.
   452. It was something about the man-spider and sodomy, Posted: April 24, 2019 at 01:48 PM (#5834879)
Yeah, she does look very young, too. I'm sure that's part of my discomfort. Hard to believe they are almost the same age! Honestly, after watching The Deuce, I'm just happy I'm not completely numb to cable tv nudity.

You're just lucky that an actor friend of yours didn't show up and get buck naked with a hooker in season 1.

That was a bit of a shocker ...
   453. Lassus Posted: April 24, 2019 at 02:05 PM (#5834892)
Shooty (or anyone), re: The Deuce, how is the 2nd season compared to the first? I have it recorded but still haven't watched it.
   454. It was something about the man-spider and sodomy, Posted: April 24, 2019 at 02:15 PM (#5834898)
and steal their chickens,

Bring me one of those chickens ...

I love that if you type "chickens" in to YouTube search ... that scene is what tops the list.

Think I'll take TWO chickens.
   455. Chokeland Bill Posted: April 24, 2019 at 02:18 PM (#5834900)
I remember more of Deuce season 1 than I do of season 2, which I guess says something about the latter. I thought both were good TV but nothing special at the time. Jumping around between a bunch of different plots is kind of the David Simon formula, but I don't think The Deuce ties it all together as well The Wire does.
   456. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: April 24, 2019 at 04:26 PM (#5834980)
374- I live in a Minneapolis suburb, but one with a sizable Indian population. As such, are regular old mall’s AMC theater reserves one screen to Kollywood movies. I go quite a bit, and they almost always have a planned intermission (usually an “end of part 1” followed by a few minutes of trailers for other Tamil movies.) I sooooo welcome them!!! Cuz damn they make some long movies!!!

Same (my suburb is over a third South Asian), though I admit I don't go there all that often.

--

Howie, in the event that you recall, which Wire character were you compared to?
(I'll add on, I think it's the best show I've ever watched.)

--

I just saw Point Break (the original) for the first time and I'm not sure where I land on it. It is, to be sure, spectacularly dumb. Lori Petty's character functions only as a plot device. Reeves has to speak more than is ideal. Swayze, otoh, was impressively charismatic and some of the action sequences are very good (the mid-movie chase scene on foot, for one).

I'm also seeing the original Fast and the Furious movie for the first time later this week, I think. I'm expecting to land in a similar headspace.
   457. It was something about the man-spider and sodomy, Posted: April 24, 2019 at 04:32 PM (#5834985)
Point Break is as dumb as ten Lasordas. It's also nearly impossible to not watch whenever you randomly find it playing on cable, which says something.
   458. jmurph Posted: April 24, 2019 at 04:35 PM (#5834988)
It's also nearly impossible to not watch whenever you randomly find it playing on cable, which says something.

I'm sure there's been like eleventy thinkpieces on this already and this is not an original thought, but there's a real lost joy there in the streaming/on demand era. I never flip through to see what's randomly on cable, ever.
   459. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: April 24, 2019 at 05:56 PM (#5835014)
   460. Lassus Posted: April 24, 2019 at 06:06 PM (#5835015)
I just saw Point Break (the original) for the first time and I'm not sure where I land on it. It is, to be sure, spectacularly dumb.

Saw it in a 2nd-run theatre for two dollars, I'm pretty sure it was Cathedral City CA. I land on it as one of the most fun stupid films of all time.
   461. Lassus Posted: April 24, 2019 at 06:11 PM (#5835016)

Having met Howie at softball, it seems pretty clear.
   462. It was something about the man-spider and sodomy, Posted: April 24, 2019 at 06:14 PM (#5835019)
So ... you're saying Landsman?

Sure hope it's not Bird ...
   463. PreservedFish Posted: April 24, 2019 at 07:32 PM (#5835039)
Anyone enjoying the new nature doc, Our Planet? I can't get enough of these types of things. But this one is pretty brutal at times. The scene with the walruses is harrowing and heartbreaking.
   464. It was something about the man-spider and sodomy, Posted: April 24, 2019 at 07:39 PM (#5835042)
Christ, that sequence is madness; haven't seen the whole doc, but I saw write ups on that part (with clips). Essentially unwatchable.

465. It was something about the man-spider and sodomy, Posted: April 24, 2019 at 07:42 PM (#5835043)
Soul cleanser.

Mongolian throat-singing metal ... and ... Mongolian bikers!

You're welcome (if you've seen the walruses, because watching them throw themselves down a cliff wall will break your heart ... also, because The HU are awesome).
   466. Master of the Horse Posted: April 24, 2019 at 08:21 PM (#5835052)
453--Season 2 is darker AND better.
   467. PreservedFish Posted: April 24, 2019 at 08:46 PM (#5835061)
Essentially unwatchable.

I was watching with my 4 and 7 year old kids! They actually didn't cry but we agreed on future episodes we'd skip the sad scenes.
   468. Lassus Posted: April 24, 2019 at 09:00 PM (#5835068)
I can't even watch Godzilla destroy other monsters. I'll take a hard pass.
   469. It was something about the man-spider and sodomy, Posted: April 24, 2019 at 09:09 PM (#5835070)
I was watching with my 4 and 7 year old kids! They actually didn't cry but we agreed on future episodes we'd skip the sad scenes.

You can actually pinpoint the second when his heart rips in half ...
   470. It was something about the man-spider and sodomy, Posted: April 24, 2019 at 09:13 PM (#5835073)
I can't even watch Godzilla destroy other monsters. I'll take a hard pass.

It's worse than I hope you could imagine.
   471. PreservedFish Posted: April 24, 2019 at 09:22 PM (#5835075)
What's bad about it is that it's not animal vs animal. I've been watching nature videos with my kids for their whole lives, and they have a very healthy understanding of the circle of life. "Well daddy, it's very sad for the baby seal, but the polar bear needs food." But the walruses are driven to accidental suicide because of global warming. It's just pointless, heart-wrenching carnage.
   472. It was something about the man-spider and sodomy, Posted: April 24, 2019 at 09:29 PM (#5835078)
It's just pointless, heart-wrenching carnage.

For me?

It's not lemmings. Lemmings somehow would be ok. They'd bounce and bong and sproing and somehow it would almost seem comical. THEY'RE TINY! Cue up Yakkity Sax.

Walruses ... aren't. And they bend and break and shatter every drop they take down the cliff. Again and again and again ... until they pile up dead in heaps with the other corpses at the base of the cliff. I've never seen anything like it and I never want to again.
   473. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: April 24, 2019 at 09:37 PM (#5835081)
Walruses ... aren't. And they bend and break and shatter every drop they take down the cliff. Again and again and again ... until they pile up dead in heaps with the other corpses at the base of the cliff. I've never seen anything like it and I never want to again.
You should have seen what happened to the eggmen.

What...too soon??

474. PreservedFish Posted: April 24, 2019 at 09:41 PM (#5835083)
Yeah, it's a rough scene. My wife also had issues with the baby flamingo that couldn't keep up with the otherwise charming baby flamingo parade.
   475. It was something about the man-spider and sodomy, Posted: April 24, 2019 at 09:49 PM (#5835088)
You should have seen what happened to the eggmen.

You're out of your element, Donny!
   476. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: April 25, 2019 at 08:36 AM (#5835173)
Not a joke. That's how the movie ends.

As we shuffled out of the lobby in a daze of scattered popcorn and quick cigarette lighting-up, there was a tiny childish part of me that was hoping that the last 15 minutes would be some kind of immersive experience. Sadly, the enormous spaceship that was filling the frame when the movie paused was not being projected into the night sky above us or anything.
   477. jmurph Posted: April 25, 2019 at 10:15 AM (#5835199)
Avengers: Endgame review – unconquerable brilliance takes Marvel to new heights

The entire movie review industry has become Peter Travers. It's amazing.
   478. It was something about the man-spider and sodomy, Posted: April 25, 2019 at 12:00 PM (#5835251)
Obit for Gene Wolfe:

His next book is a masterpiece. The Book of the New Sun, written during his free time from Plant Engineering, is published in four volumes during the early ’80s. Gene is 49 when The Shadow of the Torturer arrives in 1980, 52 when the fourth book, The Citadel of the Autarch, appears in 1983. The tetralogy is one of the great, weird triumphs of American imaginative literature, a story that fuses science fiction with pulp fantasy, then fuses both with modernist narrative technique, Catholic theology, and Proustian meditativeness. (The New York Times will add “Spenserian allegory, Swiftian satire, Dickensian social consciousness, and Wagnerian mythology,” for good measure.)

For decades people will say it’s strange that a book this visionary and bizarre was written by someone with Gene’s background. But what does that mean, since The Book of the New Sun is a work virtually without precedent? If Henri Bergson and St. Augustine had collaboratively edited a 1930s issue of Weird Tales, this is the text they might have produced. It’s strange that it was written by anyone. That it was written by the guy who figured out how to cook Pringles is no more startling than any other possibility.

The Ringer
   479. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: April 25, 2019 at 05:18 PM (#5835445)
Re 477

@KristenYoonSoo (Kristen Yoonsoo Kim)
I was recently blacklisted by a studio from a press screening of a movie they predicted i wouldn’t like AND reprimanded by editors for trying to file a negative review so yeah what is criticism anymore
   480. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: April 25, 2019 at 07:01 PM (#5835483)
   481. Howie Menckel Posted: April 25, 2019 at 09:21 PM (#5835503)

I believe it was a hardboiled reporter.
but I mentioned this to a colleague yesterday, and he said I looked more like a judge in the show (I think the first comp was style plus looks)
   482. Lassus Posted: April 25, 2019 at 11:05 PM (#5835521)
re: #479 - It's like the people you agree with are bright, shining beacons of objectivity and honesty. But no one else is. Funny, that.
   483. Lassus Posted: April 25, 2019 at 11:28 PM (#5835528)
New and updated completely subjective Marvel movie ranking.

Great
1. Captain America: Winter Soldier
2. Avengers: Infinity War
3. Avengers: Endgame
4. The Avengers
5. Black Panther

Very Good
6. Captain America: Civil War
7. Iron Man
8. Spider-Man: Homecoming
9. Captain Marvel
10. Guardians of the Galaxy
11. Ant-Man and the Wasp

Good
12. Thor
13. Thor: Ragnarok
14. Captain America: The First Avenger
15. Avengers: Age of Ultron
16. The Incredible Hulk
17. Ant-Man

Decent
18. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
19. Thor: The Dark World

Not Good
20. Iron Man 3
21. Doctor Strange

Bad
22. Iron Man 2
   484. Chokeland Bill Posted: April 26, 2019 at 12:53 AM (#5835540)
I definitely felt like Endgame could have used some trimming in the middle act.
   485. BrianBrianson Posted: April 26, 2019 at 01:56 AM (#5835541)
I - uhm - well, that is the MCU movies in an order other than chronological
   486. Lassus Posted: April 26, 2019 at 07:33 AM (#5835554)
I definitely felt like Endgame could have used some trimming in the middle act.

If there was trimming, I'd have put it in the first act myself. But I had no problem with the length. (Not even bathroom-wise.)

The one thing modern times has taken away is the exciting trailer debut. For opening night of one of the biggest openings in the past 20 years, there would be a debut trailer or two. But the Star Wars trailer - as everything else - had already been online. That makes me kind of sad. Just barely before this current era I caught the WATCHMEN trailer on opening night of The Dark Knight, and I was utterly in awe. I don't think that ever happens again.
   487. Chokeland Bill Posted: April 26, 2019 at 08:41 AM (#5835566)
If there was trimming, I'd have put it in the first act myself. But I had no problem with the length. (Not even bathroom-wise.)

I felt like the first act had interesting character material, while the second had scenes that were extended primarily to squeeze in Easter Eggs and cameos.
   488. Lassus Posted: April 26, 2019 at 09:30 AM (#5835572)
Fair.
   489. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: April 26, 2019 at 08:08 PM (#5835758)
   490. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: April 27, 2019 at 10:03 AM (#5835858)
“Fleabag” and “Killing Eve” Creator Phoebe Waller-Bridge to Polish ‘Bond 25’ Script
Waller-Bridge’s involvement came at the direct request of Daniel Craig, according to the Observer, which said Craig felt the script needed a polish to add more humor. The Emmy- and BAFTA-nominated writer is known for her offbeat, caustic humor and strong characterization.

...It is not yet known whether Waller-Bridge will receive a screen credit for her work on the screenplay. No female writer has been credited on a Bond title since Irish writer Johanna Harwood, who was brought on to rework original Bond title “Dr. No” and received an adaptation credit on its 1963 follow-up, “From Russia With Love.”
   491. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: April 27, 2019 at 12:42 PM (#5835884)
@EBruenig
I did see First Reformed! On films on religion (and more specifically, Christianity), these are my favorites:

Silence
Calvary
The Year of Living Dangerously
The Name of the Rose
Into Great Silence
Winter Light
Doubt

Screwball category:

Blade Runner
In Bruges
   492. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: April 27, 2019 at 01:44 PM (#5835890)
My wife is once again watching all of the Harry Potter movies while recovering in the hospital from her C-section. She did it when our first child was born too.

Anyway we are up to Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows-Part 1 this time.
   493. Lassus Posted: April 28, 2019 at 06:22 AM (#5836021)
I'm a fan of those books, but I do think that Rowling got a bit death-happy in that final volume. A couple of the good guys who ended up biting it seemed a bit of an oversell.
   494. manchestermets Posted: April 28, 2019 at 04:23 PM (#5836140)
I'm visiting Canada next week! My flight will actually be arriving almost exactly this time next Sunday in Toronto, so a few questions for the Canada BBTF types.

Has anyone eaten in the restaurant at the top of the CN Tower (or just know whether it's any good at all)? Obviously with all those restaurants at height you're partly paying for the location, but the chances are that I'd go up the CN Tower anyway, as I tend to do that sort of thing when I'm travelling, and that's $38 so the prix fixe in the restaurant ($65/$79 for 2/3 courses) doesn't look bad when that's taken into account. Of course, if the restaurant is notably terrible and only complete tourists would ever go there it would be good to know.

I'm also visiting Ottawa (the floods will have subsided by a week Friday, right?) and Montreal. So, more generally:

Any particularly recommended restaurants that all the places on the internet that recommend restaurants might have missed?

Where are the good used bookshops? Just general readers' bookshops, nothing rare or antiquarian. Although if there are any specialist sports bookshops I'd be interested in those.

Any interesting museums/galleries that are a bit off the beaten track/less well known?

495. Master of the Horse Posted: April 28, 2019 at 04:47 PM (#5836143)
Sydney Crosby is a nominee for the NHL Hart Trophy which is kind of Troutian when this is like his 6th or 7th best season
   496. Master of the Horse Posted: April 28, 2019 at 04:59 PM (#5836145)
Fam sent a care package that included horseradish, horseradish mustard and horseradish cheese. These people are ####### awesome
   497. Master of the Horse Posted: April 28, 2019 at 05:22 PM (#5836151)
Canes-Islanders game is awesome
   498. Master of the Horse Posted: April 28, 2019 at 05:30 PM (#5836153)
494: Ile Flottante was great but pretty expensive. Bonaparte same
   499. Master of the Horse Posted: April 28, 2019 at 05:33 PM (#5836156)
494--I had a great hole in the wall place that was totally local, inexpensive and awesome but I checked and it's closed so that sucks
   500. Master of the Horse Posted: April 28, 2019 at 05:46 PM (#5836164)
When the Islanders are on timeout trailing by one the stadium is playing the Rohan music from LOTR. WTF?
Page 5 of 7 pages ‹ First  < 3 4 5 6 7 > 

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
TedBerg
for his generous support.