Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Wednesday, August 01, 2018

OT - Catch-All Pop Culture Extravaganza (August 2018)

After watching the pilot episode of “Deadwood,” I got up, lowered the blinds, dimmed the lights and burned through the rest of the DVD in a fugue of wonder and excitement. I didn’t leave the series until the next day, staggering limply into the harsh sunlight like Ray Milland in “The Lost Weekend.”

It was 2004, and I had been the chief television critic at The New York Times for about a year. HBO had sent me advance screeners of its new western. And I was discovering binge watching.

There are dramas that are arguably better or more widely appreciated than “Deadwood”: “The Sopranos,” “The Wire” or “Breaking Bad.”  But of all the shows I have reviewed over the past 12 years, “Deadwood” is the one I would most like to see again for the first time.

Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: August 01, 2018 at 03:06 AM | 1210 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: movies, music, off-topic, television, whatever else belongs under the rubric of 'popular culture'

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 13 of 13 pages ‹ First  < 11 12 13
   1201. Howie Menckel Posted: September 01, 2018 at 11:38 AM (#5737370)
culture bump
   1202. Morty Causa Posted: September 01, 2018 at 11:43 AM (#5737371)
Mad Mad Mad Mad World is two-hours-plus-another-hour. Or another hour and fifteen minutes if you include the overture, intermission and exit music. It's easily the longest comedy that's funny. (That I know of.)

I believe the only version that was authorized by Kramer was the 154-minute version. Still, that's two and a half hours. I've seen Mad World numerous times, but not in the last couple of years. I don't know if I've seen that super long version, at least not often. It wasn't obtainable until recently, right?

Anyway, the movie is so action-packed that the actors were given two scripts, one of the dialogue and one of the physical comedy.

I'd also recommend an unfairly forgotten, but expertly made chase/race movie, Those Daring Young Men in their Jaunty Jalopies (alternate title: Monte Carlo or Bust). It, too, has numerous comic actors, a more international assortment than IAMMMMW, with Terry-Thomas at his villainous best and introducing Peter Cook and Dudley Moore. Liked it a lot at the time.
   1203. Howie Menckel Posted: September 01, 2018 at 11:47 AM (#5737372)
Heading to the Keys next week for our honeymoon. First time out there. Any suggestions? I'm thinking I'll try to do a day of deep sea fishing while I'm out there. Never done that before.

I hope you are not flying to Key West!
my No. 1 tip is that you start in Miami/Ft Lauderdale/Boca/whatever, then wake up when you feel like it. start driving toward Key West, but have no arrival time goal. take Route 1 south, and stop at whatever looks interesting (everyone's tastes are different, but Lorelei's on Islamorada is a damn relaxing place to eat - mile marker 82. gets voted 'best sunset,' too, depending on your timing. also, I assume the Key Largo Marriott still has the hammocks and beach chairs that look like where they filmed those Corona commercials. just park and walk out back as if you're staying there.)

I did some parasailing in Key West, that was very worth it.

Schooner Wharf Bar there is dog-friendly - locals have their dogs sit at their feet of the outdoor bar. I'm not a dog person, but that was nice. The butterfly museum there is also beyond relaxing. there's a Euro-style bed-and-breakfast across the street, near the "Southernmost Point in the U.S." sign.
   1204. Hysterical & Useless Posted: September 01, 2018 at 11:49 AM (#5737373)
Patrick O'Brian's Master and Commander books

And his storm scenes! I never knew I had any interest in sailing until I started reading his books. Actually, still not interested in really sailing, but reading his descriptions of the struggles to keep a ship afloat in high winds and heavy seas is just superlatively exciting.
   1205. McCoy Posted: September 01, 2018 at 11:53 AM (#5737376)
Flying to Miami and then driving to key West. Then after a couple of days spending a night on marathon and then wrapping it all up in largo the last few days before flying out of Miami.

For largo we went with playa largo resort.
   1206. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: September 01, 2018 at 11:54 AM (#5737378)
You know what movie didn't have enough car chases? DRIVE.

Also, FUNNY GAMES didn’t have nearly enough funny games.
   1207. McCoy Posted: September 01, 2018 at 11:58 AM (#5737379)
But shoot'em up had plenty of shooting things up!
   1208. Omineca Greg Posted: September 01, 2018 at 11:58 AM (#5737381)
PRETTY WOMAN didn't have nearly enough of the pretty woman.
   1209. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: September 01, 2018 at 01:03 PM (#5737397)
Germany: Year Zero

We watched that one just last night, apparently having a premonition that you were about to recommend it :) Definitely one to see for anyone interested in 20th-century history or Italian neorealism (although the film is in German, naturally). It is starker than the two Italian films in the trilogy (Roma and Paisan) because it has no hero at all, and no moral transcendence.

Which is also one of the many reasons why it's my favorite of the Rossellini war trilogy.

But that's not to knock the other two. Open City has several memorably heroic characters (Anna Magnani's Pina, Marcello Pagliero's Manfredi, and above all Aldo Fabrizi's Don Pietro). Paisan has the best sense of the life of the ordinary soldier and civilian during wartime. And Germany: Year Zero presents the aftermath of war with a fatalism that seems to reflect the reality of postwar Germany more than any ideological statement on the part of Rossellini.

One of the great appeals (at least to me) of wartime and postwar Italian neorealist movies is that they weren't shot in a studio, but among the ruins of war-wrecked Italy and Germany. Hollywood actually made one outstanding film (The Search) that centered on one aspect of postwar Europe---the refugee crisis and the separation of children from their parents----that was also shot on location, but only in the American movie is there a conventionally happy ending. None of that for Rossellini.
   1210. Lassus Posted: September 01, 2018 at 01:21 PM (#5737400)
And his storm scenes! I never knew I had any interest in sailing until I started reading [O'Brien's] books.

I never new how little interest in sailing I had until I read one of them.
Page 13 of 13 pages ‹ First  < 11 12 13

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Rough Carrigan
for his generous support.