Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, August 01, 2019

OT - Catch-All Pop Culture Extravaganza (August 2019)

The Eilish home sits on a leafy block in L.A.’s Highland Park, a gentrifying neighborhood where discount party suppliers and muffler shops sit alongside cafes and fancy pet stores. The two-bedroom bungalow is cramped and homey, with overflowing bookshelves and, currently, five occupants: Eilish’s mom; Eilish’s dad; their rescue cat, Misha; their rescue dog, Pepper; and the biggest, most exciting new pop star of 2019.

Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: August 01, 2019 at 12:25 PM | 270 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: movies, music, off-topic, television, whatever else belongs under the rubric of 'popular culture'

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 > 
   1. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: August 01, 2019 at 12:26 PM (#5867354)
Enjoy the randomly selected feature about some kid pop star.
   2. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: August 01, 2019 at 12:35 PM (#5867361)
From TFA:

“Did you know broccoli is a man-made food?” Eilish, staring at her phone, says to no one in particular. “It doesn’t grow naturally.”

“Well, I picked broccoli as a kid,” says her mom.

“No, you did not,” counters Eilish. “I’m looking at it on Safari.”

Oh dear.
   3. Lassus Posted: August 01, 2019 at 12:43 PM (#5867365)
DAVO'S JULY 2019 MOVIE WATCHLIST

I cannot understand how you think the Wick movies got BETTER a they went along, and that the first is the worst of the three.
   4. Davo Posted: August 01, 2019 at 12:50 PM (#5867372)
DAVO'S JULY 2019 MOVIE WATCHLIST

MASTERPIECE
1. Vera Drake (2004, Mike Leigh) (You can read my review here.)

VERY GOOD
2. John Wick: Chapter 2 (2017, Chad Stahelski) (rewatch) (I posted some thoughts about it on Letterboxd here.)
3. The Rules of the Game (1939, Jean Renoir) (rewatch)
4. Girlfriends (1978, Claudia Weill) (rewatch)
5. Abigail's Party (1977, Mike Leigh)
6. John Wick: Chapter 3--Parabellum (2019, Chad Stahelski) (rewatch)

GOOD
7. The Other Guys (2010, Adam McKay) (rewatch)
8. Cries and Whispers (1972, Ingmar Bergman) (rewatch)
9. John Wick (2014, Chad Stahelski) (rewatch)
10. Belle de Jour (1967, Luis Bunuel)
11. Sandbagger (2019, Mitch F. Anderson) (42 minutes, and, I am in total agreement with Kentucker Audley: "Young filmmakers, this is how you start a film.")
12. Star Wars: Episode I--The Phantom Menace (1999, George Lucas) (rewatch)

NOT GOOD
13. Midsommar (2019, Ari Aster)
14. The Fly (1986, David Cronenberg)
15. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (2019, Quentin Tarantino)

SO BAD, THIS IS BARELY A MOVIE
16. Robin Hood (2018, Otto Bathurst)
   5. Davo Posted: August 01, 2019 at 12:51 PM (#5867376)
3- I posted a link to my John Wick 2 review that should answer your questions.
   6. Crispix Attacksel Rios Posted: August 01, 2019 at 12:56 PM (#5867380)
Haven't seen 3 yet but I definitely liked John Wick 2 better than John Wick 1. It introduced a lot of new characters instead of just John Wick, Ian McShane, Lance Reddick, people who work in a garage, and generic mobsters. It introduced the lore of the Continental network and the coin stuff. Sure that lore may not make any sense but the first movie didn't either, just on a smaller scale of not making sense.
   7. Davo Posted: August 01, 2019 at 01:02 PM (#5867388)
This is an amazing clip from Furious 7.

"Did you bring the cavalry?"

No ##### were given that day, or any ensuing day in post-production.
   8. Lassus Posted: August 01, 2019 at 01:04 PM (#5867390)
Haven't seen 3 yet but I definitely liked John Wick 2 better than John Wick 1.

I also haven't seen 3, but I definitely didn't think 2 was better than 1; and I thought that my opinion was the consensus. Research shows - barely - that is not the case and I am in the minority:

Rotten Tomatoes
critic - audience
JW1 87% - 81%
JW2 89% - 85%
JW3 90% - 87%

Who's the tool of the man now? ;-)
   9. Davo Posted: August 01, 2019 at 01:22 PM (#5867401)
I am vaguely recalling a story my Mom told me, about a Beatles song where the lyrics make absolutely no sense--the gender of a character switches in the middle of the song or something.

And when John (or Paul) was asked about it in some interview years down the line, he copped "We tried recording that verse a hundred times, and every ####### time I said 'HER' instead of 'HIS', so eventually they just gave up and recorded it wrong and hoped no one would notice." (I'm recalling an inconsequential conversation from roughly 20 years ago, so my details are a little shaky here.)

I wonder if that's what happened on that Furious 7 clip!
   10. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: August 01, 2019 at 01:45 PM (#5867408)
I am vaguely recalling a story my Mom told me, about a Beatles song where the lyrics make absolutely no sense--the gender of a character switches in the middle of the song or something.

And when John (or Paul) was asked about it in some interview years down the line, he copped "We tried recording that verse a hundred times, and every ####### time I said 'HER' instead of 'HIS', so eventually they just gave up and recorded it wrong and hoped no one would notice." (I'm recalling an inconsequential conversation from roughly 20 years ago, so my details are a little shaky here.)
That's "Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da," in which the last verse is as follows:

Happy ever after in the market place
Molly lets the children lend a hand
Desmond stays at home and does his pretty face
And in the evening she's a singer with the band

The "official" story, I think, is that Paul intended to repeat the previous verse, which of course had Desmond and Molly's names reversed. But he screwed up one particular take, which they otherwise liked, and because it was the late '60s, they came to the conclusion that it was better that way ("With a twist, you see?").
   11. Javy Joan Baez (chris h.) Posted: August 01, 2019 at 02:55 PM (#5867444)
My granddaughter is absolutely obsessed with a ponytail-wearing something called JoJo Siwa.

This concludes our interlude with the musical taste of a six-year-old.
   12. Davo Posted: August 01, 2019 at 02:57 PM (#5867448)
IIRC The Rock’s botched line in #7 was included in the trailers/ad campaign for that movie. It’s so weird!
   13. Baldrick Posted: August 01, 2019 at 03:32 PM (#5867469)
On the 'first concerts' conversation, my first was the Kingston Trio at the local county fair. This was probably about 1993. I also saw 'the Beach Boys' around then, but it was 1993 so it wasn't really the Beach Boys. Then I saw Ringo the next year, which was a lot of fun, but same general concept. I think I also saw Donovan that same year.

I think the first contemporary show I saw was the Smashing Pumpkins on the Mellon Collie tour. Opening band was Fountains of Wayne, of all people.
   14. Rusty Priske Posted: August 01, 2019 at 03:38 PM (#5867471)
My actual first concert was Anson Williams, aka Potsie from Happy Days. I would guess it was around 1975

My first 'actual' concert wasn't much better - Corey Hart. I want to say 1984

My first concert that I actually have memories of - The Cure, Vancouver, 1986
   15. SandyRiver Posted: August 01, 2019 at 03:50 PM (#5867481)
First I've seen the Kingston Trio mentioned in a dog's age. Never saw them in person, only on TV, but I still have most of the words for their 1950s "Merry Minuet" in my brain cells.
   16. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: August 01, 2019 at 04:15 PM (#5867493)
First I've seen the Kingston Trio mentioned in a dog's age.

And will they ever return? No, they'll never return.
   17. Swoboda is freedom Posted: August 01, 2019 at 04:54 PM (#5867505)
My first concert was Ravi Shankar. In Scotland, of all places. My Dad took my brother and me.
   18. Hysterical & Useless Posted: August 01, 2019 at 04:59 PM (#5867507)
Happy ever after in the market place
Molly lets the children lend a hand
Desmond stays at home and does his pretty face
And in the evening she's a singer with the band

The "official" story, I think, is that Paul intended to repeat the previous verse, which of course had Desmond and Molly's names reversed. But he screwed up one particular take, which they otherwise liked, and because it was the late '60s, they came to the conclusion that it was better that way ("With a twist, you see?").

I had never heard any rationale, official or otherwise, but had always assumed it was intentional: Desmond got the girl, now she does all the work and he can just loaf. Isn't that why guys get married?

Now I will have to rethink my entire world view!
   19. The Rare Albino Shrieking Goat of Guatemala. Posted: August 01, 2019 at 04:59 PM (#5867508)
And their fate is still unlearned ...

I grew up on them, on 8 track, no less, but even I didn't know just how big they were back in their day:

All rankings are from "American Album Chart Records 1955–2001"[5]

Most Number 1 Albums: 5 for a Number 10 ranking
Most Weeks Charting a Number 1 Album: 46 for a Number 5 ranking
Most Weeks Charting an Album: 1,262 for a Number 10 ranking
Most Top Ten Albums: 14 for a Number 9 ranking
Most Consecutive Number 1 Albums: 4, tied for a Number 4 ranking
Most Consecutive Top 40 Albums: 17, tied for a Number 6 ranking
Most Total Weeks Albums Charted in One Year: 348 in 1961 for a Number 3 ranking; 284 in 1960 for a Number 6 ranking
Most Weeks Charting An Album by Decade, 1960–69: 1089 for a Number 4 ranking
Most Weeks With a Number 1 Album in a Calendar Year: 22 in 1960, tied for a Number 4 ranking; 18 in 1959, tied for a Number 7 ranking
Most Consecutive Weeks at Number 1 Chart Position: 15, tied for a Number 8 ranking

20. Javy Joan Baez (chris h.) Posted: August 01, 2019 at 05:08 PM (#5867513)
I keep reading "the Kingston Trio" as "the Klingon Trio," which, I assume, would be a very different sort of musical act.
   21. Man o' Schwar Posted: August 01, 2019 at 05:13 PM (#5867515)
I keep reading "the Kingston Trio" as "the Klingon Trio," which, I assume, would be a very different sort of musical act.

Set phasers to "mute".
   22. I Helped Patrick McGoohan Escape Posted: August 01, 2019 at 05:19 PM (#5867517)
I think the first contemporary show I saw was the Smashing Pumpkins on the Mellon Collie tour. Opening band was Fountains of Wayne, of all people.

That was my first show too - though the concert was delayed four months because their touring keyboardist (whose sister was in the Revolution) died of a heroin overdose. Garbage was opening at that point.

And since you mentioned Fountains of Wayne, I was at a bar yesterday and someone put the first song from their first record on the jukebox. First time I'd heard them in years, but so catchy I still remembered it!
   23. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: August 01, 2019 at 05:27 PM (#5867519)
Caitlin Flanagan writing for the Atlantic about Tarantino's "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood":
Say what you will about Charles Manson; he really empowered women to pursue excellence in traditionally male-dominated fields.

Interesting take on the movie, too.
   24. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: August 01, 2019 at 05:33 PM (#5867522)
Gen Con in full swing today. I recall a few primates are frequent attendees.

Makes for great people watching here in Indy.
   25. Javy Joan Baez (chris h.) Posted: August 01, 2019 at 05:51 PM (#5867528)
Set phasers to "mute".

I legit LOL'd.
   26. Davo Posted: August 01, 2019 at 05:56 PM (#5867529)
Ben Affleck and Ana de Armas in talks to star in Adrian Lyne's DEEP WATER, an erotic thriller about a married couple whose mind games with each other -- they allow each other to take lovers -- take a twisted turn when people around them start turning up dead.
on board
   27. Crispix Attacksel Rios Posted: August 01, 2019 at 06:19 PM (#5867534)
Wow, Adrian Lyne? Adrian Lyne was the master of erotic thrillers but has no credits in the last 17 years. What the heck has he been up to?
   28. The Rare Albino Shrieking Goat of Guatemala. Posted: August 01, 2019 at 06:31 PM (#5867536)
A Close Reading of the Script for the Series Finale of ‘Game of Thrones’

This script really has everything. Between the jokes that don’t really work, the gaps in logic, the disregard for the mythology, and the lines that read like back-patting, it’s a microcosm of everything that went sideways in Thrones’ final season. It brings up all the old frustrations that come with having spent countless hours loving and analyzing a show only to watch its writers slip in a Rolling Stones reference and call it a day. Anyway, see you in September when this script wins the Emmy.
   29. Davo Posted: August 01, 2019 at 06:33 PM (#5867537)
   30. Davo Posted: August 01, 2019 at 06:36 PM (#5867538)
27- Couldn’t find anything! My guess is that since Hollywood stopped making his type of films (the erotic thriller) so he just went away...until now!
   31. Lassus Posted: August 01, 2019 at 07:35 PM (#5867551)
OK, regarding the previous thread's discussion on 69 Love Songs, I remember when this album came out and i was living in San Francisco. I listened to a few songs and didn't like it, and always felt guilty about it. So after that thread i listened to five or seven of the songs and still didn't like them. So the band apparently just isn't my thing.

But as national treasure Fountains of Wayne has come up, they were definitely more my sort of thing from that era.
   32. The Rare Albino Shrieking Goat of Guatemala. Posted: August 01, 2019 at 07:42 PM (#5867552)
Man, I hadn't thought about this movie for years, but it came to mind unbidden this afternoon over on Discord and damned if I didn't have to go and order a copy of it on dvd.

Miami Blues

An utterly adorable Jennifer Jason-Leigh, a virile, feral Alec Baldwin and ############# denture-wearing Fred Ward? I was in then and I still am ...

Breaking ... entering.
The dark and lonely places.
Finding a big gun
   33. Srul Itza Posted: August 01, 2019 at 08:18 PM (#5867559)
First I've seen the Kingston Trio mentioned in a dog's age. Never saw them in person, only on TV, but I still have most of the words for their 1950s "Merry Minuet" in my brain cells.

My parents had their albums, so I know them, too. Them and the Chad Mitchell Trio.
   34. Srul Itza Posted: August 01, 2019 at 08:27 PM (#5867560)
What I remember -- corrections welcome

They're rioting in Africa (merry whistle interlude)
They're starving in Spain (same)
There's hurricanes in Florida (same)
And Texas needs rain.

The whole word is festering with unhappy souls.
The French hate the Germans, the Germans hate the Poles.
Italians hate Yugoslavs, South Africans hate the Dutch --
And I don't like anybody very much.

But we can be tranquil and thankful and proud
Cause man's be endowed
with the mushroom shaped cloud.
And we know for certain that some looovely day-ay
Someone will set the sparks off --
AND We will all be blown away.

They're rioting in Africa (merry whistle interlude)
There's strife in Iran(same)
What nature doesn't do to us(same)
Will be done by our fellow man (last note slightly off)

35. Srul Itza Posted: August 01, 2019 at 08:35 PM (#5867566)
Chad Mitchell had rhymes for the irreverent. A few I remember

You're paid to stop a bullet.
It's a soldier's job they say.
And you stop that bullet.
And then they stop your pay.

Should I write A letter to my Congressman?
Each Congressman has two ends.
A sitting end
and a thinking end.
And since his whole success depends upon his seat --
Why bother friend?

Yevtushenko
I'm not afraid of atom bombs
says Kruschev, and they know it.
I'm not afraid of anything --
Except, perhaps, a poet.

The Nazi, whom we did abhor
is now gemutlichkeiter
For when he isn't making war,
No one could be politer
He woos Miss Liberty with zeal,
he bows with grace and vigor,
to kiss the hand and click the heel --
before he click's the trigger.

(With "Wimoweh" softly in the background)

Are the Africans in Africa prepared for independence?
Do they have enough delinquents among their juvenile descendants?
Can they fill their air with smog enough, their rivers with pollution?
Are their citizens evolved enough for mental institutions?
Are they smart enough, to know enough, to regulate their taxes,
so that the poor can pay the rich to keep the poor flat on their axes?
Do they have the intelligence, the native wisdom, or the dexterity,
to establish Atom bases as the base of their prosperity?
In essence, have we morally the right to even plan,
to let the backward nations join, the Brotherhood of Man?
   36. The Rare Albino Shrieking Goat of Guatemala. Posted: August 01, 2019 at 08:36 PM (#5867567)
Haven't seen 3 yet but I definitely liked John Wick 2 better than John Wick 1. It introduced a lot of new characters instead of just John Wick, Ian McShane, Lance Reddick, people who work in a garage, and generic mobsters. It introduced the lore of the Continental network and the coin stuff. Sure that lore may not make any sense but the first movie didn't either, just on a smaller scale of not making sense.

I'd say I liked 2 less than for 1 for exactly those reasons, though both were worth the watch.

I suppose I'll get around to 3 when I can rent it.
   37. The Rare Albino Shrieking Goat of Guatemala. Posted: August 01, 2019 at 08:41 PM (#5867570)
Well, if we're going in that direction @Srul Itza ...

First we got the bomb and that was good,
'Cause we love peace and motherhood.
Then Russia got the bomb, but that's O.K.,
'Cause the balance of power's maintained that way!
Who's next?

France got the bomb, but don't you grieve,
'Cause they're on our side (I believe).
China got the bomb, but have no fears;
They can't wipe us out for at least five years!*
Who's next?

Then Indonesia claimed that they
Were gonna get one any day.
South Africa wants two, that's right:
One for the blacks and one for the whites!**
Who's next?

Egypt's gonna get one, too,
Just to use on you know who.
So Israel's getting tense,
Wants one in self defense.
"The Lord's our shepherd," says the psalm,
But just in case, we better get a bomb!
Who's next?

Luxembourg is next to go
And, who knows, maybe Monaco.
We'll try to stay serene and calm
When Alabama gets the bomb!
Who's next, who's next, who's next?
Who's next?
   38. The Rare Albino Shrieking Goat of Guatemala. Posted: August 01, 2019 at 08:47 PM (#5867571)
I am still envious of my good friend who went to UC Santa Cruz and got to take a math course from Lehrer, "math for tenors" as Lehrer described it. Lucky bastage.
   39. The Rare Albino Shrieking Goat of Guatemala. Posted: August 01, 2019 at 08:51 PM (#5867573)
This also could work ...

Gather 'round while I sing you of Wernher von Braun
A man whose allegiance
Is ruled by expedience
Call him a Nazi, he won't even frown
"Nazi, Schmazi!" says Wernher von Braun

Don't say that he's hypocritical
Say rather that he's apolitical
"Once the rockets are up, who cares where they come down?
That's not my department!" says Wernher von Braun

Some have harsh words for this man of renown
But some think our attitude
Should be one of gratitude
Like the widows and cripples in old London town
Who owe their large pensions to Wernher von Braun

You too may be a big hero
Once you've learned to count backwards to zero
"In German, und Englisch, I know how to count down
Und I'm learning Chinese!" says Wernher von Braun
   40. Srul Itza Posted: August 01, 2019 at 08:52 PM (#5867574)
Met Lehrer once at MIT. He was a friend of the House Parent, Jerry Lettvin, at the now torn-down Bexley Hall. On some Sundays, he would have guests like that. Another I remember was Al Capp of Lil Abner fame.

After law school graduation, or maybe the last final, a group of us went to McSorely's. A friend of mine, late of the USMC, sang I ain;t marching any more. I responded by singing "Send the Marines". A girl from the next table then said she would us ales if I knew "Poisoning the Pigeons in the Park. Which were the easiest beers I ever earned.

41. Srul Itza Posted: August 01, 2019 at 08:58 PM (#5867577)
Lehrer had a number of bomb-like songs:

There was the one he wrote for WWIII, explaining that, we would probably need to write them before the war, since nobody would be around after:

So long Mom, I'm off to drop the bomb, so don't wait up for me.
But while you swelter
Down there in your shelter,
You can see me, on your TV

While we're attacking frontally,
watch Brinkely and Huntally,
describing contrapuntally,
the cities we have lost.
No need for you to miss a minute -- of the agonizing holocaust.

Little Johnny Jones he was a US Pilot, and no shrinking violet was he.
He was mighty glad when World War III was declared, he wasn't scared, nosirree

And this is what he said on,
His way to Arma-geddon:

So long Mom, I'm off to drop the bomb, so don't wait up for me.
And though I may roam, I'll come back to my home,
Although it may be
A pile of debris

So long Mommy
I'm off to get a Commiee
So send me a Salami
And try to smile somehow

I'll look for you when the war is over ---
an hour and half from now.
   42. Baldrick Posted: August 01, 2019 at 09:02 PM (#5867581)
That was my first show too - though the concert was delayed four months because their touring keyboardist (whose sister was in the Revolution) died of a heroin overdose. Garbage was opening at that point.

Yeah, it happened maybe two or three weeks before the concert date, so got pushed from August into the winter. But I still got my Fountains of Wayne. Looks like it was this show. I went with my mom.
   43. The Rare Albino Shrieking Goat of Guatemala. Posted: August 01, 2019 at 09:13 PM (#5867585)
Who made me the genius I am today
The mathematician that others all quote?
Who's the professor that made me that way
The greatest that ever got chalk on his coat?

One man deserves the credit
One man deserves the blame
And Nicolai Ivanovich Lobachevsky is his name
Oy!
Nicolai Ivanovich Lobach...

I am never forget the day I first meet the great Lobachevsky
In one word he told me secret of success in mathematics:
Plagiarize

Plagiarize!
Let no one else's work evade your eyes
Remember why the good Lord made your eyes
So don't shade your eyes
But plagiarize, plagiarize, plagiarize
Only be sure always to call it please "research"

And ever since I meet this man
My life is not the same
And Nicolai Ivanovich Lobachevsky is his name
Oy!
Nicolai Ivanovich Lobach...

I am never forget the day
I am given first original paper to write
It was on analytical algebraic topology
Of locally Euclidean metrization
Of infinitely differentiable Riemannian manifold
Bozhe moy!
This I know from nothing
What I'm going to do
I think of great Lobachevsky and get idea - haha!

I have a friend in Minsk
Who has a friend in Pinsk
Whose friend in Omsk
Has friend in Tomsk
With friend in Akmolinsk
His friend in Alexandrovsk
Has friend in Petropavlovsk
Whose friend somehow is solving now
The problem in Dnepropetrovsk

And when his work is done
Haha! Begins the fun
From Dnepropetrovsk to Petropavlovsk
By way of Iliysk and over Novorossiysk
To Alexandrovsk to Akmolinsk
To Tomsk to Omsk
To Pinsk to Minsk
To me the news will run
Yes, to me the news will run!

And then I write by morning, night
And afternoon, and pretty soon
My name in Dnepropetrovsk is cursed
When he finds out I published first!

And who made me a big success
And brought me wealth and fame?
Nicolai Ivanovich Lobachevsky is his name
Oy!
Nicolai Ivanovich Lobachev...

I am never forget the day my first book is published
Every chapter I stole from somewhere else
Index I copy from old Vladivostok telephone directory
This book was sensational!
Pravda - well, Pravda - Pravda said:
Zhil byl korol' kogda-to, Pri nem blokha zhila
"It stinks"
But Izvestia! Izvestia said:
Ya idu kuda sam tsar' idet peshkom
("It stinks")
Metro-Goldwyn Moskva buys the movie rights for six million rubles;
Changing title to 'The Eternal Triangle'
With Ingrid Bergman playing part of hypotenuse

And who deserves the credit?
And who deserves the blame?
Nicolai Ivanovich Lobachevsky is his name!
Oy!

Lobachevsky
   44. The Rare Albino Shrieking Goat of Guatemala. Posted: August 01, 2019 at 09:25 PM (#5867587)
@Srul Itza ... there's also

When you attend a funeral
It is sad to think that sooner or
Later those you love will do the same for you
And you may have thought it tragic
(Not to mention other adjec-
-tives) to think of all the weeping they will do
But don't you worry

No more ashes, no more sackcloth
And an arm band made of black cloth
Will some day nevermore adorn a sleeve
For if the bomb that drops on you
Gets your friends and neighbors too
There'll be nobody left behind to grieve

And we will all go together when we go
What a comforting fact that is to know
Universal bereavement -
An inspiring achievement!
Yes, we all will go together when we go

We will all go together when we go
All suffused with an incandescent glow
No one will have the endurance
To collect on his insurance
Lloyd's of London will be loaded when they go

Oh we will all fry together when we fry
We'll be French-fried potatoes by-and-by
There will be no more misery
When the world is our rotisserie
Yes, we all will fry together when we fry

Down by the old maelstrom
There'll be a storm before the calm

And we will all bake together when we bake
There'll be nobody present at the wake
With complete participation
In that grand incineration
Nearly three billion hunks of well-done steak

Oh we will all char together when we char
And let there be no moaning of the bar
Just sing out a Te Deum
When you see that ICBM
And the party will be come-as-you-are

Oh, we will all burn together when we burn
There'll be no need to stand and wait your turn
When it's time for the fallout
And Saint Peter calls us all out
We'll just drop our agendas and adjourn

You will all go directly to your respective Valhallas
Go directly, do not pass 'GO', do not collect two hundred dollars

And we will all go together when we go
Every Hottentot and every Eskimo
When the air becomes uraneous
We will all go simultaneous
Yes, we all will go together
When we all go together
Yes we all will go together when we go

We'll All Go Together When We Go
   45. Srul Itza Posted: August 01, 2019 at 10:16 PM (#5867596)
Looks like you're cutting and pasting these.

MLF

Sleep well my darling,
In peace may you slumber,
No danger lurks,
Your sleep to encumber

We've got the missiles,
Peace to Determine
And one of the fingers on the button will be GERMAN

Why shouldn't they have
Nuclear Warheads?
England says no, but
They all are soreheads.

I say a by-gone, should be a by-gone,
Let's make peace, the way we did, in Stanleyville and Saigon.

Once all the Germans were warlike and mean,
But that couldn't happen again
We taught them a lesson in 1918,
and they've hardly bothered us since then.

So sleep well my darling,
the sandman can linger
we know our buddies
won't give us the .. finger.

Heil - uh - Hail the Wehrmacht --
I mean the Bundeswehr,
Hail to our loyal allies.

MLF
will scare Brezhnev

I hope he is half as scared as I!
   46. Srul Itza Posted: August 01, 2019 at 10:21 PM (#5867600)
How about a few non-political ones?

I Hold Your Hand In Mine

I hold your hand in mine, dear,
I press it to my lips.
I take a healthy bite of
Your dainty finger-tips.

My joy would be complete, dear,
If only you were here,
but still I keep your hand as
a precious souvenir.

The night you died I cut it off,
I really don't know why,
for now each time I kiss it,
I get blood stains on my tie.

I'm sorry now I killed you,
For our love was something fine,
Until they come to get me,
I will hold your hand in mine.
   47. Srul Itza Posted: August 01, 2019 at 10:27 PM (#5867603)
Since I still appreciate you,
Let's find love, while we may
Because I know I'll hate you,
When you are Old and Gray

So say you love me, here and now
I'll make the most of that --
Say you love and trust me
For I know you'll disgust me
When you're old and getting fat.

An awful debility
A lessened utility
A loss of mobility
Is a strong possibility
In all probability
I'll lose my virility
And you your fertility
And desirability
And this liability
Of total sterility
Will lead to hostility
And a sense of futility
So let's act with agility
While we still have facility
For we'll soon reach senility
And lose the ability.

Your teeth will start to go, dear
Your waist will start to spread.
In 20 years or so, dear,
I'll wish that you were dead

I'll never love you then, my dear,
The way I do today,
So please remember
When I leave in December,
I told you so in May.
   48. The Rare Albino Shrieking Goat of Guatemala. Posted: August 01, 2019 at 10:32 PM (#5867604)

SPOKEN LIVE INTRODUCTION:
Now I'd like to turn to the folk song, which has become in recent years the particularly fashionable form of idiocy among the self-styled intellectual. we find that people who deplore the level of current popular songs -- although I admit they do seem to be recording almost anything these days. Have you heard Sesue Hayakawa's record of "Remember Pearl Harbor"? These same people who deplore the level of current popular songs and yet will sit around enthralled singing "Jimmy Crack Corn and I Don't Care" or "Green Grow the Rushes, Oh!" -- whatever that means. At any rate, for this elite I have here an ancient Irish ballad, which was written a few years ago, and which is replete with all the accoutrements of this art form. In particular, it has a sort of idiotic refrain, in this case "Rickety-tickety-tin" you'll notice cropping up from time to time, running through, I might add, interminable verses. The large number of verses being a feature expressly designed to please the true devotees of the folk song who seem to find singing fifty verses of "On Top of Old Smokey" is twice as enjoyable as singing twenty-five

This type of song also has what is known technically in music as a modal tune, which means -- for the benefit of any layman who may have wandered in this evening -- that I play a wrong note every now and then

This song though does differ strikingly from the genuine folk ballad in that in this song the words which are supposed to rhyme - actually do

I, ah, I really should say that I do not direct these remarks against the vast army of folk song lovers, but merely against that peculiar hard core who seem to equate authenticity with artistic merit and illiteracy with charm

Oh, one more thing. One of the more important aspects of public folk singing is audience participation, and this happens to be a good song for group singing, so if any of you feel like joining in with me on this song, I'd appreciate it if you would leave right now

SUNG:
About a maid I'll sing a song
Sing rickety-tickety-tin
About a maid I'll sing a song
Who didn't have her family long
Not only did she do them wrong
She did ev'ryone of them in, them in
She did ev'ryone of them in

One morning in a fit of pique
Sing rickety-tickety-tin
One morning in a fit of pique
She drowned her father in the creek
The water tasted bad for a week
And we had to make do with gin, with gin
We had to make do with gin

Her mother she could never stand
Sing rickety-tickety-tin
Her mother she cold never stand
And so a cyanide soup she planned
The mother died with a spoon in her hand
And her face in a hideous grin, a grin
Her face in a hideous grin

She set her sister's hair on fire
Sing rickety-tickety-tin
She set her sister's hair on fire
And as the smoke and flame rose high'are
Danced around the funeral pyre
Playin' a violin, -olin
Playin' a violin

She weighted her brother down with stones
Rickety-tickety-tin
She weighted her brother down with stones
And sent him off to davy jones
All they ever found were some bones
And occasional pieces of skin, of skin
Occasional pieces of skin

One day when she had nothing to do
Sing rickety-tickety-tin
One day when she had nothing to do
She cut her baby brother in two
And served him up as an irish stew
And invited the neighbors in, -bors in
Invited the neighbors in

And when at last the police came by
Sing rickety-tickety-tin
And when at last the police came by
Her little pranks she did not deny
To do so she would have had to lie
And lying, she knew, was a sin, a sin
Lying, she knew, was a sin

My tragic tale, I won't prolong
Rickety-tickety-tin
My tragic tale I won't prolong
And if you do not enjoy the song
You've yourselves to blame if it's too long
You should never have let me begin, begin
You should never have let me begin
   49. Baldrick Posted: August 01, 2019 at 10:40 PM (#5867605)

They were a family favorite, particularly because my family was all from Rhode Island and Massachusetts and felt a deep personal connection to the MTA. But it was also music that the whole family could agree was enjoyable,* so we listened to a LOT of the Kingston Trio when I was a kid.

* My grandmother was not okay with the line "I don't give a damn about a greenback dollar," but otherwise was cool with them.
   50. SandyRiver Posted: August 02, 2019 at 09:29 AM (#5867631)
#34: Bravo!! Except that last note was more than a little out of tune - maximum dissonance, with sour-note accompaniment to match.

And will they ever return? No, they'll never return.

Corrections welcome

(Some conversation about how the City of Boston is sticking it to the citizens thru a fare increase...)

Let me tell you of a story of a man named Charley on a tragic and fateful day;
He put ten cents in his pocket, kissed his wife and family, went to ride on the MTA.

But did he ever return? No, he never returned, and his fate is still unlearned.
He may ride forever 'neath the streets of Boston - the man who never returned.

Charley handed in his dime at the Kendall Square station then he changed to Jamaica Plains.
When he got there the conductor told him "One more nickel" - Charley couldn't get off that train!

Chorus

Now all night long Charley rides through the stations crying "What will become of me?
"How can I afford to see my sister in Chelsea or my cousin in Roxbury?"

Chorus

Charley's wife goes down to the Scully Square station every day at quarter past two,
And through the open window she hands...Charley a sandwich as the train comes rumbling through.

Chorus

Now you citizens of Boston, don't you think it's a scandal, how the people have to pay and pay?
Fight the fare increase! Vote for George O'Brian!! Get poor Charley off the MTA!!!

Or else he'll never return. No, he'll never return, and his fate is still unlearned.
He may ride forever 'neath the streets of Boston - the man who never returned. He's the man who never returned.

(More mumbled conversation, ending with "Et tu, Charley?")

51. JJ1986 Posted: August 02, 2019 at 09:42 AM (#5867633)
I think my first concert was The Beach Boys in around 1994, although I'm not sure how many original members were still playing with them.
   52. Lassus Posted: August 02, 2019 at 10:01 AM (#5867637)
William Billilngs - Lamentation Over Boston
By the Rivers of Watertown we sat down and wept,
we wept when we remember'd, O Boston.
Lord God of Heaven, preserve them, defend them,
deliver and restore them unto us again.
Forbid it, Lord God,
forbid that those who have sucked Bostonian Breasts
should thirst for American Blood.
A voice was heard in Roxbury which eccho'd thro' the Continent,
weeping for Boston because of their Danger.
Is Boston my dear Town, is it my native Place?
for since their Calamity I do earnestly remember it still!
If I forget thee, yea, if I do not remember thee,
Then let my numbers cease to flow, Then be my Muse unkind,
Then let my Tongue forget to move and ever be confin'd;
Let horrid Jargon split the Air and rive my nerves asunder.
Let hateful discord greet my ear as terrible as Thunder.
Let harmony be banish'd hence and Consonance depart;
Let dissonance erect her throne and reign within my Heart.

For your musical and historical lesson today, Willam Billings was so taken with the text of this lamentation that he also composed a purposefully discordant one-page tune called JARGON that was published along with the Lamentation. (He was also pissed at people bitching that he broke too many compositional rules and this was sort of a 'fuck you' as well.) It was written in 1778, and is so masterfully wrong that it makes Schoenberg sound like Handel. Sadly, it is very hard to find a recording that does it any proper justice, but here's a poorly-engineered attempt:

William Billings - Jargon
Let horrid Jargon fill the Air
And rive the Nerves asunder.
Let hateful Discord greet the Ear
As terrible as Thunder.

53. Davo Posted: August 02, 2019 at 10:36 AM (#5867651)
@JesseHawken
Reviewing HOBBS & SHAW and most blockbusters is like reviewing what you had for lunch at the food court: "If you're a fan of the MANCHU WOK series you know what to expect here, great to see the Orange Chicken back on the menu"
   54. My name is Votto, and I love to get blotto Posted: August 02, 2019 at 10:44 AM (#5867656)
"Did you bring the cavalry?"

No ##### were given that day, or any ensuing day in post-production.

What's the problem with that clip?
   55. Lassus Posted: August 02, 2019 at 10:47 AM (#5867658)
Some pronoun error is mentioned above in relation, but I also wasn't sure how it applied to the film.
   56. Nasty Nate Posted: August 02, 2019 at 10:48 AM (#5867660)
What's the problem with that clip?
I don't know why he didn't quote the relevant part in the post, but the Rock replies with "I am the calvary"
   57. My name is Votto, and I love to get blotto Posted: August 02, 2019 at 10:50 AM (#5867661)
Has anyone here stuck with "Orange is the New Black"? I'll be starting in on the final season tonight.
   58. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: August 02, 2019 at 11:17 AM (#5867687)
Lassus:
OK, regarding the previous thread's discussion on 69 Love Songs, I remember when this album came out and i was living in San Francisco. I listened to a few songs and didn't like it, and always felt guilty about it. So after that thread i listened to five or seven of the songs and still didn't like them. So the band apparently just isn't my thing.

Same here, alas. For me, Guided by Voices has a superior stick-on-the-wall ratio, and I'm not really into them, either. I think the "69 Love Songs" gimmick was part of the appeal; an album of the 14 best tracks called "14 Love Songs" would not have gotten the same attentiveness. Andy Warhol's advice to aspiring artists comes to mind: "Paint big. People like big."
   59. Davo Posted: August 02, 2019 at 11:35 AM (#5867708)
To be fair, telling The Rock he botched a line is pretty intimidating. I wouldn’t wanna do it.
   60. Lassus Posted: August 02, 2019 at 12:17 PM (#5867748)
That is quite interesting. (The difference between cavalry and calvary.)
   61. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: August 02, 2019 at 12:43 PM (#5867758)
I think the "69 Love Songs" gimmick was part of the appeal

100% and part of the idea from the start (though I think it was originally going to be 100 songs).
That band is very much about gimmicks - between that and things like Merritt's interest in exploring cliches - I would never expect them to be everyone's cup of tea.
---
I never noticed that Rock line; that's hilarious.
---
Did not expect a Tom Lehrer chunk!
   62. BrianBrianson Posted: August 02, 2019 at 01:19 PM (#5867772)
Has anyone here stuck with "Orange is the New Black"? I'll be starting in on the final season tonight.

I'd like to have, but I think it's not an appropriate show for when my rugrat is awake, and that guy sleeps maybe 3 hours a day.
   63. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: August 02, 2019 at 01:24 PM (#5867776)
EDIT: Nevermind.
   64. The Rare Albino Shrieking Goat of Guatemala. Posted: August 02, 2019 at 01:33 PM (#5867784)
   65. I Helped Patrick McGoohan Escape Posted: August 02, 2019 at 02:29 PM (#5867805)
Yeah, it happened maybe two or three weeks before the concert date, so got pushed from August into the winter. But I still got my Fountains of Wayne. Looks like it was this show. I went with my mom.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-smashing-pumpkins/1996/san-jose-arena-san-jose-ca-73d732f1.html

This was me and I went with my uncle. At the time, I would have preferred Garbage anyways...
   66. Davo Posted: August 02, 2019 at 02:34 PM (#5867808)
   67. Davo Posted: August 02, 2019 at 03:37 PM (#5867824)
I’m on my way to see Prakash Kovelamudi‘s ARE YOU JUDGMENTAL?.
   68. Howie Menckel Posted: August 02, 2019 at 04:11 PM (#5867832)
I just drove past the now-closed Fountains of Wayne store a half-hour ago (it's also in Shooty's neck of the woods).

spoiler alert: they used to sell fountains there.
   69. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: August 02, 2019 at 04:12 PM (#5867833)
I’m on my way to see Prakash Kovelamudi‘s ARE YOU JUDGMENTAL?

Keep an open mind.
   70. Srul Itza Posted: August 02, 2019 at 05:28 PM (#5867856)
When the shades of night are falling,
Comes a fellow everyone knows.

It's the Old, Dope Peddler
Spreading joy, wherever he goes.

In the evening you may find him,
Around your neighborhood.
Doing well, by doing good.

He gives the kids free samples
Because he knows full well
That Today's young, innocent faces
Will be tomorrow's clientele.

Here's a cure, for all your problems
Here's an end, to all distress
With his powdered ha-a-pi-ness
   71. Srul Itza Posted: August 02, 2019 at 05:36 PM (#5867859)
Spring is here,'
Spring is here,
Life is Skittles
and Life is Beer

I think the loveliest time of the year
is the Spring
I do.
Don't you?
Course you do!

But there's one thing that makes spring complete for me,
and makes every sunday a treat for me --

All the Word seems in tune on a spring afternoon,
when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Each Sunday you'll see, my Sweetheart and me,
As we poison the pigeons in the park.

When they see us coming, the birdies all try and hide.
But they still go for peanuts when when coated with cyanide.

The sun's shining bright, everything seems all right
as we're poisoning pigeons in the park, la la, la la la la, la la, la la

We've gained notoriety
And caused some anxiety
In the Audobon Society
With our games

They call it impiety
and lack of propriety
and quite a variety
of unpleasant names.

But it's not against any religion
To want to dispose of, a pigeon.

So if you Sunday you're free, why don't you come with me,
and we'll poison the pigeons in the park.

And maybe we'll do in a Squirrel or two,
As we poison the pigeons in the park.

We'll murder them all, amid laughter and merriment --
Except for the few we take home to Experiment

My pulse will be quickening, with each drop of strychnine
we feed to a pigeon -- it just takes a smidgen --
To Poison a Pigeon in the Park.
   72. Davo Posted: August 02, 2019 at 06:53 PM (#5867872)
69- I’ve learned that the original title was ARE YOU MENTAL?, but they changed that after the Indian Psychiatric Society complained, saying it trivialized mental health issues.

It was a fun movie and I’m glad I saw it. Traces of GLASS mixed with trashy early 90s thriller (of the “is this perfect guy who he says he is or does he hide a dark secret” type that anyone with a pulse can solve by minute 8). Though also a dark comedy and a romance. (These Bollywood movies have something for everyone!)
   73. AndrewJ Posted: August 02, 2019 at 07:03 PM (#5867873)
Tying up a couple of themes -- Tom Lehrer frequently performed "Merry Minuet" in concert, and it sounds like a Lehrer composition, but it was actually written by Sheldon Harnick of "Fiddler on the Roof" fame...
   74. Davo Posted: August 02, 2019 at 09:22 PM (#5867905)
Tonight we are watching LITTLE WOMEN, the 1994 version directed by Gillian Armstrong and starring Winona Ryder.

It is my wife’s single favorite movie of all time, she tells me. I’ve not seen it before.

I pray it’s better than her second favorite movie, LOVE ACTUALLY.
   75. Rennie's Tenet Posted: August 02, 2019 at 09:43 PM (#5867909)
Lehrer had a number of bomb-like songs:

Satellite radio has an old time radio channel. Today I heard Leo Durocher on the Fred Allen Show. Durocher apparently went to Japan to visit troops very soon after the war ended. He reported that Hiroshima "looked like Ebbetts Field after a Dodgers-Giants doubleheader."

Two songs I heard on satellite this week after not hearing either for probably decades:

Tracey Ullman - They Don't Know. I completely forgot that she had a hit in the US. Nice little tune, good retro to the early sixties.

The Guess Who - Clap for the Wolfman. Can't imagine why this one doesn't get more play.
   76. vortex of dissipation Posted: August 02, 2019 at 11:18 PM (#5867922)
Tracey Ullman - They Don't Know. I completely forgot that she had a hit in the US. Nice little tune, good retro to the early sixties.

Written by the great Kirsty MacColl, who was both one of my favorite singers and favorite songwriters. Kirsty sings on Ullman's version.
   77. Davo Posted: August 03, 2019 at 03:13 AM (#5867947)
Annette is an upcoming musical film written and directed by Leos Carax and starring Adam Driver and Marion Cotillard.

I can only get so hard.
   78. Swoboda is freedom Posted: August 03, 2019 at 12:15 PM (#5867972)
I pray it’s better than her second favorite movie, LOVE ACTUALLY.

My sister in law loves that movie. I really fail to see the appeal. The only thing that moves me is watching the reunifications at the airport, which does not involve any of the actors.
   79. Davo Posted: August 03, 2019 at 12:38 PM (#5867977)
I can report that: I fell asleep halfway through LITTLE WOMEN, but not because it was bad (it’s not), but because we are both exhausted all the time because, ya know, 2 kids and all
   80. Greg K Posted: August 03, 2019 at 12:47 PM (#5867978)
Emma Thompson breaking down to an aged Joni Mitchell was pretty fun.
   81. Baldrick Posted: August 03, 2019 at 01:44 PM (#5867984)
Greg K appearance so let me take the chance to say that I am continuing to love the Early Stuart England adventure. I'm currently reading a book on the Stuarts by Mark Kishlansky, which has the unfortunate historian-problem of assuming that the reader is already intimately familiar with the time period and can therefore follow you as you jump around chronologically and toss of names without clarification. It would be pretty impassible without the grounding of ESE.
   82. Davo Posted: August 03, 2019 at 01:53 PM (#5867985)
The XKCD unpopular opinion challenge.
Name a movie that...
1) You genuinely like (not "so bad it's good").
2) came out in your adult life post-2000, and
3) is rated below 50% on Rotten Tomatoes

I obviously have a zillion (the first two that came to mind, Speed Racer and Jupiter Ascending are at 40% and 27% respectively), but am curious what ones you guys might have.
   83. Greg K Posted: August 03, 2019 at 01:59 PM (#5867987)
Is it "A Monarchy Transformed"? That one was the go-to text for your generic Stuart course back in my day.

A good companion for study, but yeah, not great as a stand-alone history if you're not familiar with the period.
Kishlansky's famous for:
A] Being second only to Kevin Sharpe in trying to rehabilitate the image of Charles I (just a garden variety poor King, not a terrible one)
and
B] Getting into a good old fashioned historian slap fight with John Adamson. He accused Adamson of misleading citations and going well beyond what his source material proved. Which in the historian world is a bit like Albert Pujols accusing Mike Trout of using steroids. Passive aggressively written articles flew back and forth in the early 90s.

I just started editing next week's episode, part of which deals with the Massachusetts Bay Colony. Early Stuart England is expanding to America! Also, apologies in advance...several Americans have told me my pronunciation of "Massachusetts" is shocking.
   84. Greg K Posted: August 03, 2019 at 02:07 PM (#5867990)
Love Actually is almost it for me (comes in at 63%)
The Impostors (which I love) sneaks under that at 62% (though it is from 1999)
Who Loves the Sun is one of my all time favourites....not enough for a audience score, but critics have it at 59%
Mallrats scores a 56% (though perhaps that doesn't count, saw it first as a 14 year old, my love is perhaps the residue of nostalgia)

Wow, Old School rates a 60%? That's another one for me.

Found perhaps the closest fit. Dead Man on Campus scores a 15%. Sort of cheating as it is another movie I fell in love with as a teen. But that's an awfully low score.

EDIT: Dan in Real Life at 64%, another close one.
   85. Davo Posted: August 03, 2019 at 02:15 PM (#5867991)
Movies on my Top 100 that are below 50% on Rotten Tomatoes

The Village 44%
Vanilla Sky 42%
The Three Musketeers 26%
The Comedy 47%
Resident Evil: Retribution 29%
   86. Baldrick Posted: August 03, 2019 at 02:22 PM (#5867994)
Is it "A Monarchy Transformed"? That one was the go-to text for your generic Stuart course back in my day.

That's the one. It's pretty good, but definitely of limited use as a broad introduction. I'm now getting into the weeds of Charles II and increasingly lost.
   87. Cowboy Popup Posted: August 03, 2019 at 02:46 PM (#5868006)
Blade 2, Tag, Dredd, Road Trip and Step Brothers are all above 50%. Hellboy 2 was in the 80s somehow.

I'm going to give up guessing.
   88. Greg K Posted: August 03, 2019 at 02:47 PM (#5868007)
Ah yeah, I'd put The Village on my list too.
   89. Greg K Posted: August 03, 2019 at 02:48 PM (#5868008)
Road Trip is above 50%? Tom Green must be doing all the heavy lifting there.
   90. Greg K Posted: August 03, 2019 at 02:51 PM (#5868009)
That's the one. It's pretty good, but definitely of limited use as a broad introduction. I'm now getting into the weeds of Charles II and increasingly lost.

Yeah the Restoration is a tangled mess of old school court politics and a modernizing, globalized trading state. I've really only ever dipped a toe in there, and I'm still undecided on whether to do so with this podcast project. Technically, the Civil War and interregnum are pretty daunting...but there's more stuff being blown up in the 1640s and 1650s...grabs the attention more effectively.
   91. The Rare Albino Shrieking Goat of Guatemala. Posted: August 03, 2019 at 03:14 PM (#5868016)
Dredd,

Dredd scoring 79% Fresh doesn't surprise me that much, it was a pretty damn kick ass flick.

From A History of Violence's review of 2012

Another of the year’s best English-language action movies turned out to be a probably unintentional remake of The Raid. Dredd had a dystopian setting and a comic-book hero, but otherwise, it had a ton in common with Evans’ movie, with its story about heavily armed paramilitary cops attempting to fight their way to the top of a criminal-infested high-rise to take out the boss at the top. Dredd’s version of that story is different from The Raid’s, but it’s almost as good. People should make more movies with that same plot. I would watch all of them.

92. Cowboy Popup Posted: August 03, 2019 at 03:31 PM (#5868019)
Dredd scoring 79% Fresh doesn't surprise me that much, it was a pretty damn kick ass flick.

Agreed, I freaking love that movie. But I had thought the critical response was pretty negative. Upon review, it looks like one or two really negative ones had an outsized place in my memory. The AV Club hated it.
   93. Davo Posted: August 03, 2019 at 03:40 PM (#5868020)
Our library was selling CDs for 50 cents a piece, so, for the first time in about a decade, I bought some albums:

Always Foreign by The World Is a Beautiful Place & I Am No Longer Afraid to Die
My Favourites by Badshah
   94. The Rare Albino Shrieking Goat of Guatemala. Posted: August 03, 2019 at 03:54 PM (#5868024)
The AV Club hated it.

Huh. I don't remember reading that review at the time, but I could see Phipps hating it.

I'll stick with Breihan's take.

As an aside, I keep linking to Breihan's A History of Violence series for the AVClub, I hope someone, anyone who loves action flicks has taken the opportunity to check it out, especially since it's one of the last, great things that site will produce ...
   95. Hot Wheeling American Posted: August 03, 2019 at 04:03 PM (#5868025)
MacGruber just sneaking in at 48%

Yikes...Super Troopers at 35%
   96. The Rare Albino Shrieking Goat of Guatemala. Posted: August 03, 2019 at 04:05 PM (#5868027)
Thanks for the research #95, Super Troopers would qualify for me.
   97. Greg K Posted: August 03, 2019 at 04:09 PM (#5868028)
I didn't even bother checking Super Troopers. The world is a sad place if that movie is less than 50%.
   98. Hot Wheeling American Posted: August 03, 2019 at 04:25 PM (#5868030)
Dan in Real Life

Put it on my tab, Greg K
   99. The Rare Albino Shrieking Goat of Guatemala. Posted: August 03, 2019 at 04:46 PM (#5868032)
Three Amigos - 46% RT
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - 41% Metascore
Ace Ventura: Pet Detective - - 37% Metascore
Wild Things - 53% RT Audience Score ... Seriously? Didn't see that coming. 52% Metascore as well ...
Police Academy - 41% Metascore

100. Cowboy Popup Posted: August 03, 2019 at 04:57 PM (#5868033)
As an aside, I keep linking to Breihan's A History of Violence series for the AVClub, I hope someone, anyone who loves action flicks has taken the opportunity to check it out, especially since it's one of the last, great things that site will produce ...

Yup. I've read every article in that series. Pretty sure you were the first person I saw reference it.

Super Troopers all the way. Like some of the ones in 99 but surely those are all pre-2000, right?
Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 > 

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
1k5v3L
for his generous support.