Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, February 01, 2019

OT - Catch-All Pop Culture Extravaganza (February 2019)

Having sold out at event screenings since December, They Shall Not Grow Old, which opens for a full run this week, is poised to become the only blockbuster this year that was filmed from 1914 to 1918, on location on the Western Front. Commissioned to make a movie for the centennial of the Armistice, using original footage, Peter Jackson has taken a mass of World War I archival clips from Britain’s Imperial War Museum and fashioned it into a brisk, absorbing and moving experience.

How he has done this is simultaneously novel and destined to earn the justifiable quibbling of purists. Although the film is book ended by black-and-white footage of men going off to war and then returning home, the battlefield sequences have been substantially doctored, with the ostensible goal of making them more immersive and appealing to modern audiences.

Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: February 01, 2019 at 05:24 AM | 653 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: movies, music, off-topic, television, whatever else belongs under the rubric of 'popular culture'

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 1 of 7 pages  1 2 3 >  Last ›
   1. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: February 01, 2019 at 02:05 AM (#5810949)
   2. asinwreck Posted: February 01, 2019 at 09:29 AM (#5810966)
When I first heard of Peter Jackson's project, I immediately thought of his film Forgotten Silver.
   3. McCoy Posted: February 01, 2019 at 11:10 AM (#5810997)
I briefly skimmed the link because it is absurd and from what I can see makes a lot of assumptions and makes things up to come up with some sort of blanket statement about how it was justified. Destroying a whole planet is never justified. I mean I know Snapper and his doctrine allows for kill everyone to save one ally but in the real world it doesn't work that way.

Anyway, oddly enough I was thinking about Alderaan the other day but I was thinking about it in acting and script way. The Empire destroys an entire planet! Millions if not billions of people perish. Intergalactic economies are probably strained and in some cases shattered. Yet what do we see on screen? Luke Skywalker moping for about 10 seconds because a guy he just met that day allowed himself to be killed. Virtually no screen time is given to this loss, it is merely a special effect's bauble for us to look at for a few seconds and to recall at the Battle of Yavin when "real" lives are in danger. Just stereotypical George Lucas writing and directing.
   4. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: February 01, 2019 at 11:29 AM (#5811009)
The death of Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru is a tragedy. The death of Alderaan is a statistic.
   5. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: February 01, 2019 at 11:39 AM (#5811013)
It occurred to me while watching it that Black Panther is in a sense an attempt to reimagine Star Wars from Vader’s perspective, one where he is the hero:

Black Panther is a dictator who rules the empire with an iron fist. Eventually a rag-tag group of rebels (led by Killmonger) band together in a desperate attempt to depose him and rescue their people from servitude. But...in the end, the dictator and his massive armies quash their rebellion, murdering the rebel leader and his associates. And his subjects are forever grateful!
   6. McCoy Posted: February 01, 2019 at 11:39 AM (#5811014)
It may be a statistic but you have Leia whose home, family, friends, and colleagues were destroyed because of her. You'd think she'd be a little less bubbly.
   7. McCoy Posted: February 01, 2019 at 11:40 AM (#5811016)
I've always wondered about the citizens that live in faux Wakanda and why oh why have the fallen out of favor Wakandans simply decided to live in the mountains as a recluse tribe. That doesn't happen in the real world.
   8. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: February 01, 2019 at 11:42 AM (#5811018)
McCoy, it's even worse. Princess Leia saw her home and most of the people she knew (and her entire FAMILY) murdered... in part because the empire couldn't torture or coerce the location of the real base out of her. And SHE'S the one draping a goddamned blanket over Luke's shoulders because he's sad about Kenobi.
   9. Lassus Posted: February 01, 2019 at 11:55 AM (#5811030)
#5 - Could you describe the servitude being endured by the Wakandans?
   10. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: February 01, 2019 at 11:57 AM (#5811033)
9- Killmonger was trying to rescue all Black people from white supremacy.
   11. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: February 01, 2019 at 11:58 AM (#5811034)
I dunno, Lassus, Wakanda seems similar to Singapore in terms of velvet gloved authoritarism.

But at the same time, Killmonger was outwards focused and not working to ameliorate the lack of political rights in Wakanda.
   12. McCoy Posted: February 01, 2019 at 12:01 PM (#5811035)
Well, Killmonger was largely pissed off that he was abandoned and his dad killed and he didn't merely want to rescue black people but he wanted to flip the script and make blacks the ruling class with himself on top.
   13. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: February 01, 2019 at 12:11 PM (#5811037)
Killmonger was largely pissed off that he was abandoned and his dad killed

good thing Luke Skywalker’s motives are pure and exclusively utilitarian, free from such base daddy issues ;)
   14. Lassus Posted: February 01, 2019 at 12:16 PM (#5811041)
Do we know anything about the political rights or lack thereof of the Wakandans? (In the movies, not the comics.) Other than "Royalty!"
   15. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: February 01, 2019 at 01:16 PM (#5811084)
I had a really productive January, guys:

Sing
The Little Hours
Smallfoot (rewatch)
Unbreakable (rewatch)
Split (rewatch)
Glass
If Beale Street Could Talk
Chappaquiddick
Werewolf
First Reformed
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
10:30 P.M. Summer
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (rewatch)
Black Panther
Star Wars: Episode III--Revenge of the Sith (rewatch)
Jupiter Ascending (rewatch)
Rebels of the Neon God

—Werewolf (a 2016 Canadian drama about two lovers who are homeless drug addicts) and Rebels of the Neon God (a leisurely-paced Taiwanese movie from the early 90s about disaffected youth) were the two standouts among the new movies. Smallfoot remains great; Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs was a good deal of fun.
   16. Graham & the 15-win "ARod Vortex of suck" Posted: February 01, 2019 at 01:21 PM (#5811088)
If Beale Street Could Talk

I saw this movie a few weeks ago. It's undeniably well made, but I didn't think it was much more than a B- or a B. Some parts of it moved slowly. I think too much attention was giving to the mood and setting. In fairness, the movie absolutely nailed the mood and setting, but I think the pacing suffered as a consequence.
   17. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: February 01, 2019 at 01:30 PM (#5811092)
the battlefield sequences have been substantially doctored, with the ostensible goal of making them more immersive and appealing to modern audiences.
Given where we're at these days with what audiences like, I was worried this meant that he added fleets of CGI vampires battling comic book superheroes. But I RTFA, and he just restored, smoothed and colorized the footage. TFA has some sample before-and-after clips that look really cool. Worth checking out.
   18. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: February 01, 2019 at 01:49 PM (#5811104)
16– Pethaps I’m just a snowflake, but I couldn’t help rolling my eyes as yet another movie used its most Christian character as the butt of a joke (or, worse, as the antagonist). My audience cheered when the “holy roller” grandmother got punched in the face—the movie was clearly aiming for a “serves her right!” response.

I haven’t read a ton of Baldwin, but know he was a man who held (at least) conflicted views on Christianity—he wasn’t a believer himself, but he recognized it could be of value (he was a former preacher after all).

It was especially disappointing because I really loved Jenkins’ previous two movies (“Medicine for Melancholy” and “Moonlight”). With this one he kinda seemed....he has figured out where his bread is gonna be buttered.
   19. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: February 01, 2019 at 02:21 PM (#5811119)
Do we know anything about the political rights or lack thereof of the Wakandans?

Well, we know that they have to have limitations on emigration and just plain old freedom of association with foreigners, otherwise the world would quickly realize that all these Wakandans have high levels of education and don't seem to be behaving like you'd expect as immigrants from an impoverished nation. We also know that each tribe sends someone who can sit on the Kings privy council, but we don't have information as to how those people are chosen. We know that the king is still a major political figure who rules for life. We also know the king has authority over national security policy and the armed forces- all three kings in the movie order or take part in national security measures and have command of the Dora Milaje. Lastly, we know that any commercial connections to the outside world are at best extremely limited due to the edict from above that Wakanda hide its technological and cultural advances. And that's just off the top of my head.

Wakanda starts as an autocratic hermit kingdom, and ends as an autocratic hermit kingdom. The only thing Killmonger was changing was the hermit kingdom part of the equation.
   20. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: February 01, 2019 at 02:22 PM (#5811120)
Also, Killmonger's flaw wasn't in his diagnosis of the problem- Killmonger was right. His solution was not.
   21. BrianBrianson Posted: February 01, 2019 at 03:31 PM (#5811158)
@15 - yeah, well, I watched Man vs. on Netflix, which is actually pretty good except for the terrible CGI and unnecessary telescoping of the plot.

But the plot is just Bear Grylls vs. Predator, and Predator horrifically telescopes the plot for no reason, so maybe it's an homage?
   22. Man o' Schwar Posted: February 01, 2019 at 03:35 PM (#5811162)
The Little Hours

I liked this a lot. This was the best use yet that I've seen of Dave Franco, and I'll watch Alison Brie in anything.
   23. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: February 01, 2019 at 03:41 PM (#5811166)
Eh. “What if nuns were raunchy?” is I guess fine for an SNL sketch, but the novelty wore off pretty quick....and there was still an hour of movie left!
   24. BrianBrianson Posted: February 01, 2019 at 04:18 PM (#5811181)
Movies don't always have to be deep or profound, sometimes they can just be fun. The Little Hours was fun, but I didn't think the setting was all that important. It was just scenery.

In that vein, probably the most all time disappointing movie I've seen in American Poltergeist, which is a B horror about some sexy teens moving into Lizzie Borden's old house. Also, one of them is her great granddaughter or something. All I wanted was a bit of fun where a naked woman murders people with an axe - a good, fun B movie. But instead Borden's spirit turns out to be some oddly makedup by Victorianly dressed soul vampire, in a conspiracy with the granddaughter's mother in law? It was terrible. Just ... ugh.
   25. McCoy Posted: February 01, 2019 at 04:28 PM (#5811186)
Way to ruin it for me. Should I tell you the serenity twist?
   26. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: February 01, 2019 at 04:32 PM (#5811188)
It’s secretly a sequel to Minority Report?
   27. McCoy Posted: February 01, 2019 at 04:39 PM (#5811192)
Close
   28. BrianBrianson Posted: February 01, 2019 at 04:44 PM (#5811197)
I haven't ruined it for you. You can't ruin a dinner of an old diaper found on the beach by seasoning it incorrectly.

Although, if anyone does know a cheap B horror movie where the ghost/granddaughter of Lizzie Borden goes on a naked axe murdering spree, I'm all ears.
   29. Baldrick Posted: February 01, 2019 at 05:42 PM (#5811217)
I'm on a Jane Austen kick. Just read Sense and Sensibility for the first time and Pride and Prejudice for the third time.

Good god could that woman write.
   30. vortex of dissipation Posted: February 01, 2019 at 06:59 PM (#5811237)
Good god could that woman write.

My favorite writer.

--------------------

"And how does dear, dear Norland look?" cried Marianne.

"Dear, dear Norland," said Elinor, "probably looks much as it always does at this time of year. The woods and walks thickly covered with dead leaves."

"Oh!" cried Marianne, "with what transporting sensations have I formerly seen them fall! How have I delighted, as I walked, to see them driven in showers about me by the wind! What feelings have they, the season, the air altogether inspired! Now there is no one to regard them. They are seen only as a nuisance, swept hastily off, and driven as much as possible from the sight."

"It is not every one," said Elinor, "who has your passion for dead leaves."
   31. Baldrick Posted: February 01, 2019 at 07:37 PM (#5811247)
I literally laughed out loud at Mr. Bennet probably nine or ten times.

“This is an evening of wonders, indeed! And so, Darcy did every thing; made up the match, gave the money, paid the fellow's debts, and got him his commission! So much the better. It will save me a world of trouble and economy. Had it been your uncle's doing, I must and would have paid him; but these violent young lovers carry every thing their own way. I shall offer to pay him to-morrow; he will rant and storm about his love for you, and there will be an end of the matter.”
   32. Lassus Posted: February 01, 2019 at 09:29 PM (#5811261)
I always preferred Eliot to Austen. Subjective, I'm sure. I read Emma in college and was bored, and then I read Mill on the Floss and was enthralled.
   33. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: February 02, 2019 at 07:16 PM (#5811411)
The “American Cinema Editors” organization has voted Bohemian Rhapsody the best edited film of 2018.

Yes, this Bohemian Rhapsody
   34. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: February 02, 2019 at 07:22 PM (#5811412)
After pre-production was put on pause in December, we can reveal that Aaron Sorkin’s The Trial Of The Chicago 7 is now heading to market with an all-star cast including Eddie Redmayne, Sacha Baron Cohen, Seth Rogen, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Jonathan Majors and Alex Sharp.

(...)Redmayne will play Tom Hayden, Baron Cohen is Abbie Hoffman, Rogen will be Jerry Rubin, Gordon-Levitt has been set to play Richard Schultz, Jonathan Majors stars as Bobby Seale, and Alex Sharp will be Rennie Davis. I hear more A-list cast may be coming. Michael Keaton has been coveted for the role of William Kunstler.
   35. Master of the Horse Posted: February 02, 2019 at 07:27 PM (#5811413)
18--she said she would pray for the unborn child to die. Look, I get you are a person of faith but people were not reacting because of this woman's alleged faith orientation but that she was a nasty arguably evil person. I mean who says #### like that not just to themselves?

You post like you are looking to be part of the aggrieved faith crowd sometimes. Just saying.
   36. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: February 02, 2019 at 07:34 PM (#5811414)
35- Jenkins wrote that character because he wanted audiences to hate her. It wasn’t a sympathetic portrait, he made the evangelical character be the one who responded to the news in that most hateful way. That’s an intentional choice.
   37. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: February 02, 2019 at 07:42 PM (#5811415)
David Bowie's son says Stardust biopic doesn't have music rights or family's blessing

Filmmaker Duncan Jones, Bowie’s son, spoke out about the movie and claimed the producers didn’t have the rights to his father’s library of music nor did they have the family’s blessing.

“Pretty certain nobody has been granted music rights for ANY biopic… I would know,” Jones tweeted on Thursday. “[I’m] not saying this movie is not happening. I honestly wouldn’t know. [I’m] saying that as it stands, this movie won’t have any of [dad’s] music in it, & I can’t imagine that changing. If you want to see a biopic without his music or the families blessing, thats up to the audience.”
   38. Master of the Horse Posted: February 02, 2019 at 07:52 PM (#5811416)
36-so dog the writer of the script. Not the crowd who again was reacting to hateful language not the faith itself Like I wrote, just wanting a reason to feel persecuted by society when really people of faith have an outsized influence on society given how church attendance continues to tank but pols and companies have to be wary of the faith crowd going apeshit. But this is getting offtrack from forum intent so shutting down any further posts on this topic

Thanks for reading and I liked the movie FWIW
   39. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: February 02, 2019 at 09:05 PM (#5811423)
I just wanted to clarify—I don’t blame the audience at all. Their response was what the director was aiming for!
   40. Master of the Horse Posted: February 02, 2019 at 09:17 PM (#5811424)
40–thumbs up emoji
   41. Master of the Horse Posted: February 02, 2019 at 09:22 PM (#5811426)
I know candy is fundamentally bad for someone but among candy is Reese’s the pinnacle of candy? Wife is crushing me because I bought kid ice cream with broken up Reese’s and I am like WTH kid eats enough calories to power the sun what does it matter if 2 percent comes from mfg candy? And cmon, Reese’s are so tucking good.
   42. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: February 03, 2019 at 12:00 AM (#5811437)
Rough household (stable?) if one can buy their kid ice cream with a topping like Reese's. I mean, I might go with Heath, or something else, but most (if not all) kids take so much glee in topping just about any sweet treat. It's a delight to see (in moderation of course).
   43. Rennie's Tenet Posted: February 03, 2019 at 07:06 AM (#5811440)
If I'm getting something broken up in ice cream, it's probably Oreos. Peanut butter may be the greatest invention ever, and I'm strongly averse to mixing it with anything else.
   44. McCoy Posted: February 03, 2019 at 09:27 AM (#5811441)
Fresh Reese's peanut butter cups are the best candies on the planet.
   45. Master of the Horse Posted: February 03, 2019 at 11:31 AM (#5811449)
42--as a dad I should be able to share life's best things. 44 gets it. My wife needs to stop with the no preservatives, no processed absolute mantra. Mankind has innovated some great things in food.
   46. BrianBrianson Posted: February 03, 2019 at 11:38 AM (#5811455)
Especially since the no preservatives, no processed thing is certainly a lie.

Cooking is processing food, and essentially necessary for healthy human survival. Raw foodists do exist, but they are typically extremely malnourished (I saw one study, for instance, where half of the raw foodist women in Berlin were too malnourished to menstruate).

It's usually not worth it with people who aren't interested in thinking about it though. A friend of mine posted a Facebook link to a petition to get Coke to remove a flame retardant chemical it's recipe. I caught a lot of flak for suggesting that if that flame retardant chemical was water, it was really going to change how Coke tastes. But I was obviously right.
   47. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: February 03, 2019 at 11:49 AM (#5811463)
I think my reply (typing) omitted the 't' in can't. My kids love putting marshmallow fluff on their PB sandwiches. You've got to let your kids 'get away with things' from time to time. If that means a substance created in a laboratory, so be it.
   48. PreservedFish Posted: February 03, 2019 at 03:41 PM (#5811498)
Saying that "all cooking is processing" is eliding the distinctions between, say, Twinkies and boiled farro, or, for that matter, Twinkies and steamed broccoli. Not all processing is equivalent. Duh.

Astonishingly, something like 10% of the nation has Type 2 Diabetes now, and another 20% or 30% has very high blood sugars verging on the condition, and the main culprit appears to be the insane volumes of simple and highly refined carbs we eat. Although that's contentious, and with nutrition, nobody's really sure about anything. Of course the word "processed" may be imprecise at best, and as far as this goes an unprocessed white potato plucked straight from an organic farm is less healthy than highly processed mung bean flour or whatever.

Preservatives are indeed mostly a bogeyman, from what I can tell, although I'm sure there's a rich history of the food industry using chemicals that later fall out of favor as ill health effects are discovered.

One can live a long and healthy life shopping only in the center aisles at the grocery store, where they keep all the very processed shelf-stable foods, ignoring the meat and produce and dairy sections. But I do think it's fair to say that less processed food is generally healthier than more processed.
   49. BrianBrianson Posted: February 03, 2019 at 04:13 PM (#5811505)
Maybe it should be obvious that cooking is processing, but if someone's trying to swear their kids off processed foods/preservatives/whatnot, it's because it's not obvious to them. They don't know what those words means. They're not just imprecise, they're misleading, which is why you should kick them.

Yes, we probably have an obesity epidemic (now almost worldwide!) because calories are cheap, and probably partially because nutrients (vitamins, minerals, whatnot) are expensive. It's not that eating potatoes is unhealthy (they're quite healthy!), it's that eating 50 potatoes/day to get your necessary dietary iron is unhealthy. And since flour/rice/potato/sugar & crew are so cheap, prepared foods are rife with 'em, especially cheap prepared foods, because that's what makes them cheap. But forbidding something from your diet because it's weakly correlated with that isn't a smart approach, and doing it for the wrong reasons is just bad reasoning.

I ain't going to tell people what to eat. I ain't skinny, nor ideal weight. I could probably stand to lose ~20% of my body weight (25%, tops). But ignorance driven boogeymen that occasionally slightly overlap with reality is not a good basis, and encourages a lot of things (like Organic) that're actively destructive.

50. Man o' Schwar Posted: February 03, 2019 at 04:16 PM (#5811508)
Fresh Reese's peanut butter cups are the best candies on the planet.

Frozen Reese's cups are one of my favorite things.
   51. PreservedFish Posted: February 03, 2019 at 04:54 PM (#5811515)
Maybe it should be obvious that cooking is processing, but if someone's trying to swear their kids off processed foods/preservatives/whatnot, it's because it's not obvious to them. They don't know what those words means. They're not just imprecise, they're misleading, which is why you should kick them.

Eh. I'd give them the benefit of the doubt. Some mom trying to cook from scratch rather than use Kraft and Hamburger Helper is not necessarily a contemptible monster of illogic.
   52. BrianBrianson Posted: February 03, 2019 at 07:58 PM (#5811621)
No, of course cooking from scratch isn't illogical - I could almost everything I can from scratch, and it's almost always worthwhile if you've the time (except butter, don't make your own butter - it's not cheaper and it's not better).

Whether you're being illogical or not depends on why you're doing it, not
what
you're doing. Cooking a pasta dish from scratch will probably be cheaper at the same tastiness, or tastier at the same cost (or some combo). It's also quite possible you'll do a better job of balancing the calories and the nutrients so you're less tempted to overeat. But the pasta dish you're cooking is processed as hell, so saying you're doing it to avoid processed foods is illogical.
   53. PreservedFish Posted: February 03, 2019 at 08:07 PM (#5811627)
Cooking a pasta dish from scratch will probably be cheaper at the same tastiness, or tastier at the same cost (or some combo). It's also quite possible you'll do a better job of balancing the calories and the nutrients so you're less tempted to overeat. But the pasta dish you're cooking is processed as hell, so saying you're doing it to avoid processed foods is illogical.

The noodle is equally processed, yes. I was more thinking of the powdered packet that comes in the Hamburger Helper box, vs a meat sauce from scratch, for example. The former is more processed than the latter, although I wouldn't pretend to be able to quantify the difference. It's also more likely to have added sugar.

Edit > just googled HH Cheeseburger Macaroni ingredients. The first ingredients in the sauce packet are Corn Starch, Wheat Flour, and Sugar. When people say "processed," this is one of the things they mean, these high glycemic index ingredients showing up in unexpected places. Sure, they also mean the sodium phosphate and silicon dioxide, which we agree are (probably) not actually known to be bad for you. But to wag your finger and say "your Italian nonna's homemade ragu is also processed" is ridiculous.
   54. McCoy Posted: February 03, 2019 at 08:29 PM (#5811648)
Depends on how much sugar Nonna uses and how she thickens her sauces.

Sauce packet is what a tablespoon? It's used primarily to thicken a liquid so it should have starch and wheat as the two biggest ingredients.
   55. PreservedFish Posted: February 03, 2019 at 08:34 PM (#5811657)
Sure, if Nonna's famous bolognese is really just a slurry of water and sugar and garlic salt, I guess it's just as healthy as Hamburger Helper. Alternatively, if she uses things like, you know, vegetables, maybe it's different.
   56. McCoy Posted: February 03, 2019 at 08:40 PM (#5811664)
Or she's French
   57. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: February 03, 2019 at 08:51 PM (#5811676)
My take on the commercials so far:

I’m cool with “The Mighty Rio Grande” replacing “Spiegel im Spiegel.”
   58. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: February 03, 2019 at 08:52 PM (#5811680)
I caught Vive L’Amour before the game. It ends with about a 10-minute extreme closeup of the lead actress. She sits on a bench, struggles to regain her composure, but then gives in and cries loud, painful tears. Finally she stops. Lights a cigarette, takes a puff. Then starts crying all over again, even worse than before, sounding like a wounded animal.

I find this slightly more impressive than using cgi to digitally stitch out the cuts in a car chase but ymmv.
   59. BrianBrianson Posted: February 03, 2019 at 10:20 PM (#5811795)
But to wag your finger and say "your Italian nonna's homemade ragu is also processed" is ridiculous.
   54. McCoy Posted: February 03, 2019 at 08:29 PM (#5811648)

I'm only wagging my finger because you're saying that saying your nonna's homemade ragu is processed is ridiculous, when it's obviously highly processed. Justifying it with "Well, when I say processed I don't mean processed, and I have only the vaguest clue what I do mean, and whether there's an intelligible idea there" - well, that's worth a finger wagging. Like, say what you mean, and mean what you say. And maybe first, try to figure out what they hell you're talking about. Your nonna's ragu is highly processed - she cooks it all ####### day. It's processed to ####. It's vegetables that are processed to ####, but it's still processed to ####. If you mean "I'm trying to eat more vegetables and less grains" ... well, say that. Not "processed vegetables or meats or dairy aren't processed, and unprocessed grains are processed" - what you're talking about is exactly the same kind of magic woo that gives us anti-vaxxers or Organic food or homeopathy or bans wifi because it causes cancer and so on. It needs to be finger-wagged.

Though, eating grains took us from vagabonds following elephants to hunt with ~50% infant mortality rates to traipsing about the moon, so I don't much like slagging them either ...
   60. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: February 04, 2019 at 03:48 AM (#5811824)
Spent a few hours running through Russian Doll on Netflix last night, which was highly enjoyable and paid off the Groundhog Day very successfully. I also got a little bit of a Stranger Than Fiction vibe due to the arc of one character, which was another plus.
   61. Lassus Posted: February 04, 2019 at 07:50 AM (#5811827)
PF, leave the food science to the experts in the field.
   62. Lassus Posted: February 04, 2019 at 07:52 AM (#5811829)
I find this slightly more impressive than using cgi to digitally stitch out the cuts in a car chase but ymmv.

I'm not sure I can let you talk down Speed Racer like that.
   63. McCoy Posted: February 04, 2019 at 08:01 AM (#5811832)
It's weird because of course pasta is highly processed, even grandmother's. You take a grain and you strip it of almost all of its nutritional value to make a flour.
   64. Baldrick Posted: February 04, 2019 at 08:21 AM (#5811834)
I'm only wagging my finger because you're saying that saying your nonna's homemade ragu is processed is ridiculous, when it's obviously highly processed. Justifying it with "Well, when I say processed I don't mean processed, and I have only the vaguest clue what I do mean, and whether there's an intelligible idea there" - well, that's worth a finger wagging. Like, say what you mean, and mean what you say. And maybe first, try to figure out what they hell you're talking about. Your nonna's ragu is highly processed - she cooks it all ####### day. It's processed to ####. It's vegetables that are processed to ####, but it's still processed to ####. If you mean "I'm trying to eat more vegetables and less grains" ... well, say that. Not "processed vegetables or meats or dairy aren't processed, and unprocessed grains are processed" - what you're talking about is exactly the same kind of magic woo that gives us anti-vaxxers or Organic food or homeopathy or bans wifi because it causes cancer and so on. It needs to be finger-wagged.

It's really hard to believe that your persuasive campaign hasn't produced significant results.
   65. Greg K Posted: February 04, 2019 at 08:48 AM (#5811836)
I actually happened to watch The Little Hours while in the midst of reading the Decameron in a book club. Though obviously modernized, I think it captured quite a bit of Boccaccio's sense of humour (and attitude towards nuns and monks).
   66. Scott Lange Posted: February 04, 2019 at 09:09 AM (#5811837)
I'm only wagging my finger because you're saying that saying your nonna's homemade ragu is processed is ridiculous, when it's obviously highly processed.

But saying that he's saying that is ridiculous, when it's obvious that he typed it. Justifying it with "well, when I say say I don't mean say, and I only have the vaguest blah blah blah
   67. McCoy Posted: February 04, 2019 at 04:43 PM (#5812029)
Watching smallfoot and let me just say it is not good.
   68. Hysterical & Useless Posted: February 04, 2019 at 04:52 PM (#5812035)
32. Lassus
Posted: February 01, 2019 at 09:29 PM (#5811261)
I always preferred Eliot to Austen. Subjective, I'm sure. I read Emma in college and was bored, and then I read Mill on the Floss and was enthralled.

OMG, Lassus, how dare you speak ill of the love of my life! Emma Woodhouse is the most brilliantly flawed heroine in all of British literature. She is utterly infuriating in her obtuse snobbishness, and I adore her completely.

The only Eliot I ever read was Adam Bede, which I...did not care for. I keep telling myself I must read her other books, but I get the same vibe from her that I get from Henry James: as Virginia Woolf put it, "He chews more than he can bite off."
   69. BrianBrianson Posted: February 04, 2019 at 04:59 PM (#5812039)
You don't know it hasn't produced results. You just know it hasn't convinced everyone alive. That's an unrealistic goal.
   70. chisoxcollector Posted: February 04, 2019 at 09:09 PM (#5812111)
I’m doing a “Blindspotting” project in 2019 where every month I choose a famous actor, and watch 5 of their films that I’ve never seen before. I’ve seen around 3000 films, yet there are tons of notable films I’ve never seen, particularly from the 70s and 80s. My choice for January was Tom Cruise.

1. The Outsiders - I was really looking forward to this, What a letdown! The acting was almost uniformly terrible, the dialogue was unintentionally hilarious, the music was cheesy, etc.

2. Valkyrie - Not bad, not great. I was a bit taken out of the movie by the fact that all of these “Germans” were speaking English in various different accents.

3. The Color of Money - Definitely lesser Scorsese. Newman was solid, but in no way deserving of an Oscar. At least Cruise’s hair was quite impressive.

4. The Firm - An entertaining trifle. Hackman was quite good.

5. Far and Away - The first act, set in Ireland, is hilariously awful. It plays like a slapstick comedy. The rest of the film is decent, if bland.

While “The Outsiders” was the only film that was a complete waste of time, none of these films really stood out in any positive way.

My choice for February is Harrison Ford. I have higher hopes for this batch of films, particularly “Witness”.

Witness
Frantic
Mosquito Coast
Presumed Innocent
Regarding Henry
   71. McCoy Posted: February 04, 2019 at 09:27 PM (#5812114)
Hey, The outsiders was like required watching in school and as far as different accents just think of them as different accents of Germans. Not all Americans sound the same so why would Germans?
   72. McCoy Posted: February 04, 2019 at 09:36 PM (#5812117)
I can't see you liking Witness nor Mosquito coast. I don't think Frantic she's particularly well especially since it is a Polanski film. Regarding Henry is like a typical 90's movie at this point. Something you would pass right over if you're flipping channels. Never saw Presumed Innocent but a bunch of movies with the same themes and storylines came out around that time. I don't know if the Kevin Costner one insulted them all or what but plenty of famous actors too part. Costner, Douglas, Bridges, Ford and so on
   73. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: February 04, 2019 at 09:56 PM (#5812121)
67. McCoy Posted: February 04, 2019 at 04:43 PM (#5812029)
Watching smallfoot and let me just say it is not good.

That is incorrect, please try again, and harder.
   74. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: February 04, 2019 at 10:11 PM (#5812124)
@adambvary
Two different members of the Academy's board of governors have told me that they have not been told yet which categories will be presented during Oscars ad breaks instead of on air. I've heard "5 or 6" will be, and that the plan is to change up which ones are off air each year.
   75. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: February 05, 2019 at 07:26 AM (#5812163)
Witness
Frantic
Mosquito Coast
Presumed Innocent
Regarding Henry

Of those I've only seen Witness and Regarding Henry. Witness, is great. It's one of those movies I'll stop and watch if it's on while I'm flipping around looking for something to watch. Regarding Henry is awful. Good luck with that one. That's Ford's Patch Adams. If Ford isn't playing angry or irritated I'm not really interested. He's the best angry guy ever, though. Really, if you can find another 5th besides Regarding Henry I'd recommend it. The Sabrina remake, one of the Tom Clancy movies, Working Girl, anything.
   76. McCoy Posted: February 05, 2019 at 07:28 AM (#5812164)
Should be holds up particularly well in my last post and started not insulted. Damn Swype
   77. chisoxcollector Posted: February 05, 2019 at 07:59 AM (#5812168)
Of those I've only seen Witness and Regarding Henry. Witness, is great. It's one of those movies I'll stop and watch if it's on while I'm flipping around looking for something to watch. Regarding Henry is awful. Good luck with that one. That's Ford's Patch Adams. If Ford isn't playing angry or irritated I'm not really interested. He's the best angry guy ever, though. Really, if you can find another 5th besides Regarding Henry I'd recommend it. The Sabrina remake, one of the Tom Clancy movies, Working Girl, anything.

Ha, good looking out. I’ve seen all of your other suggestions. Maybe I’ll swap in K19: The Widowmaker.

Hey, The outsiders was like required watching in school and as far as different accents just think of them as different accents of Germans. Not all Americans sound the same so why would Germans

I think I could have suspended disbelief once, and accepted them speaking English rather than German. But then hearing American accents and British accents do it simultaneously just threw me off a bit. Although not so much that I couldn’t enjoy the movie for what it was.
   78. McCoy Posted: February 05, 2019 at 08:04 AM (#5812170)
Just think of them as talking in bavarian and Hanoverian accents.
   79. McCoy Posted: February 05, 2019 at 08:06 AM (#5812172)
K19 is a perfectly cromulent late 90's early 00's drama. Made during a time when it was ok for Russians to be noble and to look and act like humans. Perfectly acceptable flipping channels movie
   80. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: February 05, 2019 at 03:05 PM (#5812403)
Last night I read Michel Houellebecq’s novel Platform, which concludes with our hero musing:

“We have created a system in which it has simply become impossible to live; and what’s more, we continue to export it.”

...which is a pretty good bite-sized distillation of his worldview. (The novel itself is very good, though unbearably sad.)
   81. Lassus Posted: February 05, 2019 at 03:34 PM (#5812425)
Meh. He's a provocateur with very little craft (granted, I can't read him in the original Klin- er, French). But a lot of people love his work, I just found it common.
   82. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: February 06, 2019 at 04:57 PM (#5812894)
Here’s your monthly Dad Movie update:

Paul Greengrass, coming off his 2018 drama 22 July, is in negotiations to team up with Tom Hanks to tackle News of the World, Fox 2000’s adaptation of the Paulette Jiles novel.

Luke Davies, who penned Lion, wrote the script for World, which is set in the aftermath of the Civil War and tells of a widowed news reader who travels from town to town in Texas announcing the news of the times. He is given a handsome sum to deliver a young orphan girl, whose parents were killed by a Native American tribe who then raised her as their own, to her family in San Antonio. The duo travel 400 miles through dangerous terrain, slowly developing bond that will be tested when the man must give the girl up to a relatives that not only don’t want her, have abusive plans for her.
   83. Dog on the sidewalk Posted: February 06, 2019 at 06:55 PM (#5812926)
I've always been uninterested in superhero movies, but given the endless praise it's received, I gave Black Panther a shot last night. I lasted about 15 minutes before aborting and switching to Swiss Army Man instead (much more my style). BP seemed thoroughly slow and humorless, neither of which are what I'm looking for in a superhero movie, and I didn't want to watch any more and then feel committed to another 90 minutes of boredom.

Anyway, not trying to trash something everyone loves, just getting to a question: those of you who feel similarly disinclined towards superhero movies, was there something there worth watching? Willing to give it another shot if someone gives me a good reason. But I watched all of Wonder Woman because of the universal acclaim it received, and I'd still very much like that 2+ hours of my life back.
   84. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: February 06, 2019 at 07:26 PM (#5812935)
I just saw Black Panther the other day—and, like you, I am no fan of Marvel’s aesthetic. That said, the movie was pretty interesting on the plot level: it’s telling a very common story (a young and idealistic rebel leads an uprising against a dictator—think Star Wars) except it flips it, so the Dictator is our Hero and the Rebels are the Villains. Add in the racial and nationalist dynamics (the Dictator aligns with the American CIA; the Rebel is a Black man trying to end White Supremacy) and things get very, very strange and upsetting.

But literally all of this can be gathered from the Wikipedia plot summary; there’s no need to watch it, it looks and sounds just like the previous 20 superhero movies.
   85. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: February 06, 2019 at 08:29 PM (#5812968)
Black panther starts slow; picks up
   86. Master of the Horse Posted: February 06, 2019 at 08:45 PM (#5812973)
Paddington 2 is a good time. There, wrote it.
   87. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: February 06, 2019 at 09:02 PM (#5812984)
86-Oh man, please stay through the end credits. Probably my favorite scene of the year.
   88. Master of the Horse Posted: February 06, 2019 at 09:06 PM (#5812985)
87--saw that
   89. McCoy Posted: February 06, 2019 at 09:06 PM (#5812986)
As in it is slow for 2.5 hours and then the last 5 minutes fly through in minutes.
   90. PreservedFish Posted: February 06, 2019 at 09:25 PM (#5812990)
I enjoyed Black Panther as much as I enjoyed some of the better Marvel movies, which is to say, I was happy enough as I watched it, the action and effects and the imaginative world were pleasantly diverting, but it's still pretty disposable stuff, AFAIC.
   91. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: February 07, 2019 at 08:12 AM (#5813061)
I enjoyed Black Panther as much as I enjoyed some of the better Marvel movies, which is to say, I was happy enough as I watched it, the action and effects and the imaginative world were pleasantly diverting, but it's still pretty disposable stuff, AFAIC.

This is where I am on Black Panther. It's diverting. Marvel movies are awesome if you're on a really long flight (which is when I watch Marvel movies almost exclusively). They're entertaining enough but you can doze off for 15 minutes here and there and you don't really get lost.
   92. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: February 07, 2019 at 08:28 AM (#5813064)
Put that blurb on the Blu-Ray!
   93. Lassus Posted: February 07, 2019 at 10:02 AM (#5813092)
#90 and #91 are reasonable takes from reasonable people. As a comic book nutcase (not as much now, but every year from when I could read until about 25), I could never fall asleep during any of this current run of Marvel movies, the tech and writing has FINALLY caught up. (At the same time, I can't actually fall asleep during any movie, so.)

Are there other non-serious sort of serious action movies that would rate higher or get greater credit from you? If any?
   94. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: February 07, 2019 at 10:19 AM (#5813099)
Are there other non-serious sort of serious action movies that would rate higher or get greater credit from you? If any?

I love Con Air. I'm a sucker for a movie with big set pieces, a ridiculous plot, and a sense of humor. I also love 80's action movies and 1970's Kung Fu movies. Kung Fu movies are so ridiculous it's like you're dreaming them. I find the Resident Evil movies really watchable, too. I still love the old Doug McClure stop action B-Movies which are so terrible Mystery Science Theater 3000 has featured them. Anything with weird monsters I am all in for. I'm definitely not against trash. I just find the Marvel movies have a template and they tend not to stray very far from that so I can zone in and out of them and it's fine.
   95. McCoy Posted: February 07, 2019 at 10:25 AM (#5813104)
The first Matrix the first time through was pretty great. Kill Bill. Die Hard. John Wick. Predator was pretty amazing the first time and it has held up pretty well. Lethal Weapon. Fury Road
   96. Swoboda is freedom Posted: February 07, 2019 at 10:31 AM (#5813105)
Witness
Frantic
Mosquito Coast
Presumed Innocent
Regarding Henry

Witness is good. I rewatched it a while ago after not seeing for 20 years and it held up.
Frantic is meh
Mosquito Coast is pretty good in the beginning but his hyperness gets tiresome.
Presumed Innocent was okay, but I already knew the ending from the book
Regarding Henry is so treacle.
   97. Lassus Posted: February 07, 2019 at 10:48 AM (#5813117)
I just find the Marvel movies have a template and they tend not to stray very far from that so I can zone in and out of them and it's fine.

Yeah, success and popularity are a bitch. That's not a dig on you, it's just the way businesses run. I found the first Ant-Man film incredibly tiresome and samey-samey with Iron Man, and Doctor Strange was a massive and formulaic disappointment for me.

I DO think Black Panther did well as a more thoughtful film, but I can see zoning out precisely because the formula has been so well-established after 17 films, you kinda forget that something might have some nicks and grooves that weren't always there.

All the criticisms are valid, and as a hardcore comic fan, I'm so entranced by things actually looking good and going well I can live with the formula. But yeah, the formula is tiresome. It's also a pitfall of origin tales, and some of the best ones so far don't have that, Winter Soldier, Ragnorak, Homecoming..
   98. Lassus Posted: February 07, 2019 at 10:57 AM (#5813127)
In McCoy's list, I am really NOT the Predator audience, so that one bored me. John Wick I feel like I have the same opinion as Shooty and PF about Marvel. It was a fine film, but... some of where it's been elevated to really is a bit much. And the 2nd one was boring.
   99. McCoy Posted: February 07, 2019 at 11:03 AM (#5813130)
Yeah, I didn't put in John Wick 2. It's just excessive to the point of being boring and too many guffaw moments. But mentioning Shooty makes me recall Shoot'em Up. Definitely an under the radar fun action flick.
   100. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: February 07, 2019 at 11:04 AM (#5813131)
Oh, man, I love the original Predator. It's such a cynical movie--the opening act basically establishes what terrible animals humans are if you were to look at it from an alien perspective and then it literally turns these beefcake guys into sides of beef. And then Arnie finally wins by using his SMARTS! Awesome.

Page 1 of 7 pages  1 2 3 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
The Ghost of Sox Fans Past
for his generous support.