Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, February 01, 2019

OT - Catch-All Pop Culture Extravaganza (February 2019)

Having sold out at event screenings since December, They Shall Not Grow Old, which opens for a full run this week, is poised to become the only blockbuster this year that was filmed from 1914 to 1918, on location on the Western Front. Commissioned to make a movie for the centennial of the Armistice, using original footage, Peter Jackson has taken a mass of World War I archival clips from Britain’s Imperial War Museum and fashioned it into a brisk, absorbing and moving experience.

How he has done this is simultaneously novel and destined to earn the justifiable quibbling of purists. Although the film is book ended by black-and-white footage of men going off to war and then returning home, the battlefield sequences have been substantially doctored, with the ostensible goal of making them more immersive and appealing to modern audiences.

Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: February 01, 2019 at 05:24 AM | 653 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: movies, music, off-topic, television, whatever else belongs under the rubric of 'popular culture'

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 3 of 7 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  Last ›
   201. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: February 19, 2019 at 03:10 PM (#5816541)
fliiiiip
   202. BrianBrianson Posted: February 19, 2019 at 03:13 PM (#5816544)
Shooty - so, things that use science as (essentially) magic are usually fine. I like Star Trek a lot. But they're both vague enough, and needs of the story enough, and quickly gloss over it, so it doesn't bother me. A neutrino storm is causing power surges in the warp core? Well, neutrinos are real, I have no idea if they "storm" - or really, what that even means, and I have no idea how a warp core works, so maybe? Obviously, Star Trek ignores GR, which ain't great, but GR really limits what stories you can tell. So, as long as you're self consistent, maybe that's not so bad (and really, we don't know what warping is, so maybe it's not awful to tell that story anyhow).

The Core, in contrast, spends enormous amounts of time giving wrong explanations for no reason other than to appear to be smart. There's a scene in which birds start flying into buildings, and then there's a long explanation of how the Earth's spinning core creates the Earth's magnetic field (true), how birds navigate by magnetic field (sort of tru-ish), and how the loss of the magnetic field caused them to fly into buildings (NO!)
   203. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: February 19, 2019 at 03:28 PM (#5816554)
I must have damaged the part of my brain that used to know what The Core is. I might have to check it out!
   204. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: February 19, 2019 at 03:30 PM (#5816556)
Thanks for the feedback on The Expanse everyone, I'll give it another try when I'm in a different mood (than I was last night).
   205. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: February 19, 2019 at 04:41 PM (#5816589)
For Billboard chart watchers: Only two music artists have ever had the #1, #2 AND #3 charting song in the U.S. at the same time.

The first to do this were the Beatles, in 1964.

The second to do this is.... Ariana Grande, right now this week.

Last year, two other Beatles chart records was broken, when Drake had 27 songs in the Hot 100 all at the same time, as well as 7 of the Top Ten. (The Beatles had managed 14, and 5.)
   206. Master of the Horse Posted: February 19, 2019 at 04:43 PM (#5816591)
Sean Forman is interviewed on the podcast Hang Up and Listen
   207. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: February 19, 2019 at 05:20 PM (#5816614)
Reposting a game from the Lounge, wherein we listed the directors we’ve seen 10 or more films from...along with the most popular film of theirs we have NOT seen (using IMDB popularity).

My list was:

Let’s see. Doing Dag’s game—I may have missed one, it’s hard to sort by director, but....

Alfred Hitchcock, 25 movies seen (most popular I have NOT seen: Spellbound)
Steven Spielberg, 23 (Ready Player One)
Martin Scorsese, 16 (Mean Streets)
Jean-Luc Godard, 14 (Pierrot le Fou)
Michael Haneke, 13 (the made-for-tv Who Was Edgar Allan?)
Steven Soderbergh, 13 (Unsane)
Paul WS Anderson, 11 (Shopping)
The Coen Brothers, 11 (The Big Lebowski)
Robert Bresson, 10 (Four Nights of a Dreamer)
Woody Allen, 10 (Blue Jasmine)
Quentin Tarantino (his segment of Four Rooms)
Ridley Scott, 10 (Alien: Covenant)
   208. Man o' Schwar Posted: February 19, 2019 at 09:12 PM (#5816677)
I must have damaged the part of my brain that used to know what The Core is. I might have to check it out!

The Core is my favorite bad science movie, hands down. It's all in the performances - Aaron Eckhart as the sarcastic yet boyish genius, Hilary Swank as the cold-as-ice astronaut, and especially Stanley Tucci just hamming it up all over the screen. If you ever wanted to see DJ Qualls portrayed as the smartest guy in a room full of scientists and NASA people, this is the movie for you.

(The birds flying into buildings scene is fun. There's also an exploding ancient wonders scene, and the melting of the Golden Gate bridge because it failed to wear sunscreen. Also, they burn a peach with some bug spray or whatever, to teach scientists about science.)

Highly recommended if you want to get drunk and just laugh at a movie.
   209. Man o' Schwar Posted: February 19, 2019 at 09:14 PM (#5816678)
The Coen Brothers, 11 (The Big Lebowski)

I'm sure the Lounge raked you over the coals for this, but... how is this possible? Are you saving it for a special occasion?
   210. chisoxcollector Posted: February 19, 2019 at 09:16 PM (#5816679)
Mine are mostly mainstream, and there are a couple I’m almost ashamed to list. I’m not counting shorts or student films or anything like that.

Steven Spielberg - 31 (highest rated that I have not seen - 1941... it’s the only one I haven’t seen)
Tim Burton - 18 (seen them all)
Ridley Scott - 17 (The Duellists)
Alfred Hitchcock - 16 (Rope)
Martin Scorsese - 15 (The King of Comedy)
Ron Howard - 14 (Frost/Nixon)
Steven Soderbergh - 14 (King of the Hill)
Michael Bay - 13 (Oh my god... I’ve seen them all)
Kevin Smith - 12 (Cop Out... only one I haven’t seen)
Robert Zemeckis - 12 (Flight)
Coen Bros- 12 (O Brother, Where Art Thou?)
Brian DePalma - 11 (Sisters)
Chris Columbus - 11 (Rent)
Quentin Tarantino - 11 (seen them all)
Richard Donner - 11 (The Omen)
Wes Anderson - 11 (seen them all)
Ivan Reitman - 11 (Twins)
Richard Linklater - 10 (Slacker)
Barry Levinson - 10 (The Natural... I know, I know)
Guillermo Del Toro - 10 (seen them all)
David Fincher - 10 (seen them all)
Bryan Singer - 10 (Public Access)

There might be a few more with exactly 10 that I’m not finding st the moment.

211. Morty Causa Posted: February 19, 2019 at 10:57 PM (#5816699)
Hitchcock--38 (Stage Fright, I guess)
John Ford--38 (Wee Willie Winkie)
Howard Hawks--20 (The Dawn Patrol)
Frank Capra--20 (Yep, Lost Horizon)
John Huston--25 (The Red Badge of Courage)
George Stevens--12 (Giant)
Lubitsch--11 (The Merry Widow)
Preston Sturges--11 (The French, They Are a Funny Race)
Billy Wilder--18 (A Foreign Affair)
William Wyler--16 (Dodsworth)
   212. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: February 20, 2019 at 09:51 AM (#5816745)
The maim characters in the Oscar-nominated Can You Ever Forgive Me? are all a type you very rarely see in movies: old, single, gay, and poor.

When it’s about that it’s actually very good, possibly great.

Unfortunately it’s not about that very much. Probably because it’s hard to market a movie about how depressing it is to be old, single, gay and poor. You can’t pitch it in an elevator.
   213. Lassus Posted: February 20, 2019 at 10:31 AM (#5816757)
Last Exit to Brooklyn already came up in the thread.
   214. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: February 20, 2019 at 11:28 AM (#5816775)
Bret Easton Ellis: The Year the Oscars Finally Got Gay Right

Here is the stat: 4.5 percent of Americans prefer same-sex partners (I'm included). This percentage means that we are overrepresented at the Oscars this year in terms of the number of gay or bisexual characters played by nominated actors — a record seven out of 20. It also suggests we've come a long way from the agonies of Tom Hanks dying from AIDS in 1993's Philadelphia; or from the tortures of forbidden same-sex romance in 2005's Brokeback Mountain (a movie about shame that ends in death); and from Sean Penn as gay martyr Harvey Milk, assassinated because of his sexuality in 2008's Milk. That's because none of the movies where these seven nominated performances reside are about gayness at all. Homosexuality and disease and the closet isn't the point, suffering and victimhood is not at their center, and ideology is pushed back in favor of simple storytelling. These are films in which a character's sexuality doesn't become the whole pathetic reason for the movie to exist. This is, remarkably, in American movies, a new thing.
   215. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: February 20, 2019 at 12:31 PM (#5816798)
Daniel Kaluuya, Lakeith Stanfield to Star in Fred Hampton Movie for Ryan Coogler

That Coogler guy just loves making movies about Black Panthers who get assassinated by CIA operatives.
   216. Master of the Horse Posted: February 20, 2019 at 12:55 PM (#5816808)
The Big Picture podcast is doing daily stuff on the Oscars which is pretty good. FWIW. I guess I love how they explain the sequence that makes BR the likely Best Picture even though it is a bad movie when there is no singing. Freddie Mercury's family should claim the Oscar since it is his singing that won the award. Assuming that happens
   217. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: February 20, 2019 at 01:54 PM (#5816845)
   218. JJ1986 Posted: February 20, 2019 at 09:47 PM (#5816975)
I did the movie game limiting it to directors I've seen 15+ from:

Woody Allen - 42 (Sweet and Lowdown)
Alfred Hitchcock - 39 (The Man Who Knew Too Much - older one)
Robert Altman - 36 (segment from Aria)
Steven Soderbergh - 30 (Unsane)
Brian De Palma - 27 (The Bonfire of the Vanities)
Steven Spielberg - 23 (The Terminal)
Billy Wilder - 22 (The Spirit of St. Louis)
Coen Brothers - 18 (The Ballad of Buster Scruggs)
Martin Scorsese - 17 (Cape Fear)
Peter Bogdanovich - 15 (Mask)
   219. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: February 20, 2019 at 10:40 PM (#5816985)
Woody Allen-- 44 (three of his recent bombs, each rated 6.6 (perhaps cumulatively))
Alfred Hitchcock-- 38 (Stage Fright)
Charlie Chaplin-- 35+ (A Countess from Hong Kong)
Buster Keaton-- 31 (The Railrodder)
Steven Spielberg-- 24 (War Horse)
Billy Wilder-- 19 (Irma la Douce)
Howard Hawks-- 18 (El Dorado)
John Ford-- 18 (The Long Gray Line)
Martin Scorsese-- 16 plus half of "Alice Doesn't Live..." (Shutter Island)
William Wyler-- 15 (Wuthering Heights)
Jean-Luc Godard-- 15 (maybe Histoire(s) du Cinema)
Ernst Lubitsch-- 14 (Broken Lullaby)
Coen Brothers-- 13 (The Man Who Wasn't There)
Frank Capra-- 12 (The Bitter Tea of General Yen)
George Stevens-- 11 (The Diary of Anne Frank)
Stanley Kubrick-- 11 (Killer's Kiss)
Jean Renoir-- 10 (This Land is Mine)
Quentin Tarantino-- 10 (Four Rooms segment)
Akira Kurosawa-- 10 (Sanjuro)
Preston Sturges-- 10 (The Beautiful Blonde from Bashful Bend)

Of the unseen-by-somebody movies above, the two I like best (that I've seen) are "Pierrot le Fou" and "The King of Comedy."
   220. jmurph Posted: February 21, 2019 at 09:25 AM (#5817023)
PBS has two of the Oscar-nominated feature-length documentaries streaming on their app right now, Minding the Gap and Hale County This Morning, This Evening. Both are definitely worth watching, I thought Minding the Gap in particular was great.
   221. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: February 21, 2019 at 09:48 AM (#5817026)
I thought Minding the Gap in particular was great.

Is that about Tottenham fans trolling Arsenal fans?
   222. BrianBrianson Posted: February 21, 2019 at 09:50 AM (#5817027)
Well, I found 14 Spielberg movies I've watched - the highest rated I haven't seen is "Schindler's List".

I found 11 Tim Burtons, the highest rated I haven't seen is Big Fish.

Maybe I should just stop while I'm behind.
   223. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: February 21, 2019 at 10:57 AM (#5817055)
Coen Brothers - 18 (The Ballad of Buster Scruggs)

I loved this movie. Shoot, it had Tom Waits all by his lonesome for about 20 minutes.
   224. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: February 21, 2019 at 11:50 AM (#5817074)
No monkeying around, RIP Peter Tork. There was a spot in my childhood where I really liked that show (I think it was always on somewhere in syndication) and then another spot a little later when I enjoyed the burst of nostalgia about the show.
   225. Man o' Schwar Posted: February 21, 2019 at 01:22 PM (#5817110)
No monkeying around, RIP Peter Tork. There was a spot in my childhood where I really liked that show (I think it was always on somewhere in syndication) and then another spot a little later when I enjoyed the burst of nostalgia about the show.

When I was a kid growing up in Chicago, on the days that the Cubs weren't on WGN in the afternoon we watched Batman and the Monkees after school. I probably saw every episode they made 4 or 5 times (of both of them).
   226. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: February 22, 2019 at 09:45 AM (#5817300)
   227. My name is Votto, and I love to get blotto Posted: February 22, 2019 at 11:59 AM (#5817357)
What's with this new Domino's campaign where they reward you for eating any pizza, including their competitors?
   228. Master of the Horse Posted: February 22, 2019 at 12:05 PM (#5817360)
227: From a longer article

The promotion is designed to “bring new customers into the fold,” Kate Trumbull, VP of advertising at Domino’s, told CNN Business.

People who want to participate have to download the Domino’s app and sign up for a loyalty program. They use the app to scan a pizza — even if it’s homemade, purchased at a different restaurant or just a toy that looks like a pizza — and get up to ten points per week. Once customers hit 60 points, they become eligible for a free Domino’s pie.

Domino’s plans on honoring 100 million points — nearly 1.7 million pizzas altogether. Customers can only redeem the prize once. Domino’s is hoping that once people give it a shot, they’ll come back for more.

The app uses artificial intelligence to identify pizza as pizza. It’s “the first time Domino’s is using AI technology like this,” said Dennis Maloney, Domino’s chief digital officer, in a statement.

Both Domino’s and Pizza Hut vie for customers with flashy promotions. Often, they use the deals to help highlight their technology. Domino’s has tested delivery by drone and uses hotspots to deliver to parks and beaches. Pizza Hut has developed Bluetooth-enabled sneakers that let you pause your TV and order pizza with the push of a button.

It took about six months to build the technology needed to recognize images as pizza, Trumbull said. Domino’s is “always trying to innovate around technology to make the experience for consumers easier, simpler, more convenient,” she noted.

The promotion is a way for Domino’s to “create news and excitement around their brand,” said BTIG analyst Peter Saleh, adding that the company is also “trying to accelerate the adoption of their loyalty program.”

Fast food companies use their apps to learn more about what their customers want and try to build loyalty. Recently, Burger King tried to lure customers to its app and troll McDonald’s by selling one-cent Whoppers to customers in a close range of a McDonald’s.
   229. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: February 22, 2019 at 12:05 PM (#5817361)
What's with this new Domino's campaign where they reward you for eating any pizza, including their competitors?

What if I said you'll get a 10% off coupon on any pizza if you download our app and order something? Would you do it?
   230. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: February 22, 2019 at 03:53 PM (#5817439)
Yorgos Lanthimos is set to write and direct Pop. 1280, an adaptation of the Jim Thompson crime novel.

(...)Thompson published the novel in 1964. A corrupt sheriff of a small town manipulates the people in his orbit in order to win the next election. The nasty romp has long been a favorite of the director.
   231. McCoy Posted: February 22, 2019 at 10:45 PM (#5817528)
The thing about pizza is that the margins are terrible and franchisees are losing their shirts and getting out.
   232. Howie Menckel Posted: February 23, 2019 at 12:45 AM (#5817534)
fortunately they make it up in volume.
   233. Dog on the sidewalk Posted: February 23, 2019 at 02:36 AM (#5817536)
I loved this movie. Shoot, it had Tom Waits all by his lonesome for about 20 minutes.

Likewise. I am a sucker for anything Coen, so my opinion is slightly biased, but I thought all six stories were great, with the first four being just about perfect. I think it's up there with most of their best stuff.

Also, since people are talking fast food, I just had Canadian McDonalds for the first time. It's so much better than the American version. Angus burgers and poutine!
   234. stig-tossled, hornswoggled gef the typing mongoose Posted: February 23, 2019 at 01:12 PM (#5817587)
Yorgos Lanthimos is set to write and direct Pop. 1280, an adaptation of the Jim Thompson crime novel.

Per FB, apparently people involved with this are also working toward a film of one of Philip K. Dick's best later novels Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said. Cool.
   235. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: February 23, 2019 at 05:49 PM (#5817621)
Stanley Donen apparently didn't want to be included in the "In Memoriam" reel tomorrow night.

Donen began his Hollywood career as a choreographer, devising among other sequences the Gene Kelly and Jerry the Mouse dance duet in "Anchors Aweigh," and the less famous but similarly themed and similarly challenging "Kelly dancing with his own window reflection" scene in "Cover Girl."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2msq6H2HI-Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr7-qi7JRtc

His long directing career included:
Singin' in the Rain
On the Town
Damn Yankees
Royal Wedding
Charade
It's Always Fair Weather
Two for the Road (starring Albert Finney, who died 2 weeks ago)
Bedazzled
Blame It on Rio
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
The Pajama Game
   236. Swoboda is freedom Posted: February 23, 2019 at 05:52 PM (#5817622)
All right. Taking the challenge

Steven Spielberg, 26 (Ready Player One)
Woody Allen, 23 (Interiors)
Martin Scorsese, 20 (Hugo, plus some documentaries)
The Coen Brothers, 19 (Paris Je t'Aime)
Alfred Hitchcock, 19 movies seen (Spellbound)
Billy Wilder-- 18 (The Major and the Minor)
John Ford-- 18 (The Long Gray Line)
Ridley Scott, 16 (The Duellists, though I wish it was GI Jane)
Stanley Kubrick-- 13 (all)
Frank Capra-- 12 (3 Bad Men)
Howard Hawks-- 12 (The Air Circus)
Steven Soderbergh, 12 (King of the Hill)
William Friedkin- 10-(Boys in the Band)
Quentin Tarantino 9 (his segment of Sin City)
Paul Thomas Anderson, 8 (Junun)
Preston Sturges-- 8 (Christmas in July)
   237. Howie Menckel Posted: February 23, 2019 at 06:11 PM (#5817624)
legal betting on The Oscars in NJ, fellas - but you have to be within the state's borders.
numerous online options, so you don't have to go far inside state lines(you don't want to know how geolocation technology is that precise - but it is).

surprised Vegas doesn't have it. and none of the other newly-legal states do, either.
   238. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: February 23, 2019 at 07:01 PM (#5817630)
Peripheral in both the worlds of pop culture and baseball but: Arizona St had a moment of silence before their game today in honor of comedian Brody Stevens, who took his own life yesterday. (As a comic, he was known for a sort of mad exuberance, exuding positive energy.) Decades ago, he had been a setup man for the Sun Devils (and briefly a pretty good one - better than a 4/1 k/w ratio - prior to arm problems).
   239. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: February 23, 2019 at 07:44 PM (#5817633)
(France’s) Cesar Awards: 'Custody' Wins Best Film
Xavier Legrand's domestic violence drama was, if not a total surprise, an unexpected win for best film. The film had been nominated for ten awards and already won three in the editing, screenplay and best actress categories, but the Oscar-nominated director had been tipped for Best First Film, having won the Louis Delluc prize in that category in December.

(...)Jacques Audiard could be considered the biggest winner of the night, with The Sisters Brothers taking four awards. That the English-language western had nine nominations was already a coup; and he took the best director prize as well.

Hirokazu Kore-eda's Palme d'Or winner Shoplifters won in the best foreign-language category, over fellow Oscar-nominees Cold War, from Poland's Pawel Pawlikowski; Caperrnaum, from Lebanon's Nadine Labaki and Netflix's Girl, the Cannes Camera d'Or winner from Lukas Dhont.

That’s Audiard’s third win in that category. (The Sisters Brothers was one of my favorites of the year, too—glad he won.)
   240. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: February 23, 2019 at 08:32 PM (#5817638)
A Stanley Donen clip from 1997. Apparently this is the kind of thing ABC and the Oscars believe is a time-consuming drag on their broadcasts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ozag5oXPYms
   241. The Run Fairy Posted: February 24, 2019 at 02:03 AM (#5817660)
I used letterboxd for this, just because it was easier for me, although it only covers the last couple years and I'm probably missing somebody... yeah, I missed Spielberg so clearly I'm missing people, but whatever:

Hitchcock, at least 20, Psycho
Spielberg, 11, Ready Player One
Fred C. Newmeyer, 10, Dr. Jack
Ingmar Bergman, 10, Wild Strawberries
Michael Curtiz, 10, Mildred Pierce
Chaplin, at least 10, Limelight
Hal Roach, at least 10, His Royal
Kubrick 9, Eyes Wide Shut

Stanley Donen apparently didn't want to be included in the "In Memoriam" reel tomorrow night.

[...]

His long directing career included:

Can't mention Donen on this site without mentioning Take Me Out to the Ball Game (which he supposedly directed part of without getting credit, at the very least he's credited for the story and the choreography), the baseball musical with Gene Kelly and Frank Sinatra. It's mostly good fun with Sinatra and Kelly playing a mash-up of Tinker and Evers and Mike Donlin, but the song where Sinatra and Kelly brag about how they inspired one lovelorn girl to commit suicide, and had to skip another other town because a girl "said my kisses were from heaven, but I learned she was eleven, and I had to go." has aged rather poorly. But again, Deadball Baseball, Sinatra, Musical, Donen, there's a fair amount of fun to be had.

A few days ago I watched Singin' In The Rain. I liked it far more than I thought it would. The Make Em Laugh sequence was incredible and Cyd Charisse nearly stole the film with her cameo.
   242. Pasta-diving Jeter (jmac66) Posted: February 24, 2019 at 02:31 AM (#5817661)
A few days ago I watched Singin' In The Rain. I liked it far more than I thought it would. The Make Em Laugh sequence was incredible and Cyd Charisse nearly stole the film with her cameo.

I've always thought Jean Hagen stole the movie "I make more money than Calvin Coolidge-- PUT TOGETHER!!"
   243. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: February 24, 2019 at 09:55 AM (#5817671)
Ha--last night my wife and I watched Donen's The Grass Is Greener. She picked it purely by chance, knowing nothing about Donen!
   244. Master of the Horse Posted: February 24, 2019 at 05:38 PM (#5817733)
So anyone watching the Oscars tonight be it broadcast or online?
   245. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: February 24, 2019 at 06:36 PM (#5817742)
My wife and I will be watching; we see it together every year.
   246. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: February 24, 2019 at 07:40 PM (#5817747)
I don’t really have any #HotTakes this year. None of the movies of 2018 that I had strong feelings about were nominated.

I’m rooting for Spike Lee because I think he will give a great speech, and I’d like to see him honored for his great career (even though I missed BlacKkKlansman). Paul Schrader because I just read his book. “Fauve” to win best live-action short, just because I happened to see it *and* recommend it in the Lounge long before it was nominated; this is the first time I’ve ever even heard of a nominee in this category ahead of time, much less seen one. And I want Bohemian Rhapsody to win everything else, because it was made by a notorious child rapist and this will either HEIGHTEN THE CONTRADICTIONS or result in an actually brave speech by someone (either option is fine).

Lady Gaga for Best Actress, Beale Street for Best Score—those would be nice, too.
   247. Tin Angel Posted: February 24, 2019 at 07:51 PM (#5817750)
I'm rooting for The Favourite to win as many awards as possible.
   248. Howie Menckel Posted: February 24, 2019 at 08:01 PM (#5817752)
I read on the innerwebs that with the recent rules changes, the winner for Best Picture isn't the one favored by the most voters - it's the one that almost no one dislikes. which is why I grabbed Black Panther at 8-1.
   249. Master of the Horse Posted: February 24, 2019 at 08:11 PM (#5817753)
So Fey/Poehler/Rudolph are great.
   250. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: February 24, 2019 at 08:16 PM (#5817754)
I loved the random-ass inclusion of Keanu Reeves and Winona Ryder’s Destination Wedding in that tribute to the films of 2018. A movie seen by upwards of eleven people.
   251. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: February 24, 2019 at 08:22 PM (#5817755)
Damn I’m not gonna make it through 7 more clips of this Lanthimos ####.
   252. Tin Angel Posted: February 24, 2019 at 08:26 PM (#5817757)
Damn I’m not gonna make it through 7 more clips of this Lanthimos ####.

Why? He's brilliant.
   253. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: February 24, 2019 at 08:36 PM (#5817758)
@MarkHarris
Black Panther is the first movie set in the present day to win Best Costume Design since Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (unless you count Fury Road).
   254. chisoxcollector Posted: February 24, 2019 at 08:49 PM (#5817761)
I loved the random-ass inclusion of Keanu Reeves and Winona Ryder’s Destination Wedding in that tribute to the films of 2018. A movie seen by upwards of eleven people.

I saw it! Not only that, I actually enjoyed it, in all of its derivative glory.
   255. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: February 24, 2019 at 09:00 PM (#5817765)
   256. Master of the Horse Posted: February 24, 2019 at 09:11 PM (#5817766)
Why isn't Blunt singing the song?
   257. Master of the Horse Posted: February 24, 2019 at 09:12 PM (#5817767)
Kind of funny that BR is winning Oscars and won't win for best song when it's the songs that might win it best picture. Yes I get that the actual song award is original score.
   258. BrianBrianson Posted: February 24, 2019 at 09:24 PM (#5817770)
Really? 'cause Black Panther ends with a low quality CGI boss fight essentially unrelated to the plot. It's easy to dislike it over that.
   259. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: February 24, 2019 at 09:39 PM (#5817771)
Missed the last 30 minutes, did Ottman mention his close friend and collaborator (and serial child rapist) Bryan Singer in his speech? Have any winners mentioned Singer in their speech?
   260. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: February 24, 2019 at 09:47 PM (#5817774)
   261. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: February 24, 2019 at 09:59 PM (#5817775)
@jakecole
"Best Editing winner Bohemian Rhapsody" is a phrase Renfield scrawled in his own #### on the walls of his asylum cell in Dracula

@AndrewDignan
Ottman has edited every almost single one of Bryan Singer's films. They just gave an Oscar to the most complicit man in the room.

@pinkstonaa
The down-low argument I've been hearing is without the job of the editor, the film was such a mess it wouldn't have gotten released and the industry folks knew that

@davidehrlich
if you win an Oscar for BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY, you should be legally required to thank WALK HARD.

And of course the one that started it:

@pramitheus
People, actual ####### people, are watching scene after scene like this and are saying "bruuuh! best. movie. of. the. year"?
This is objectively bad. Someone with no idea about editing will notice it. My brain is on fire thinking that this is an OSCAR NOMINATED MOVIE! ####!
   262. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: February 24, 2019 at 10:13 PM (#5817777)
Oscar-winning writer Peter Farrelly.
   263. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: February 24, 2019 at 10:16 PM (#5817778)
Yay!!!! I’m so happy for Spike!!!
   264. chisoxcollector Posted: February 24, 2019 at 11:05 PM (#5817779)
I’m so happy Olivia Colman won! Probably my favorite acceptance speech ever. I loved her saying “What am I going to do?” to Emma Stone before she took the stage. She clearly didn’t think she would win.
   265. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: February 24, 2019 at 11:06 PM (#5817780)
@cushbomb
Look, when a sexual predator makes a shitty movie you just HAVE to give it all the Oscars.
   266. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: February 24, 2019 at 11:26 PM (#5817782)
Good loooooooooooooord.
   267. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: February 24, 2019 at 11:31 PM (#5817784)
A friend of mine

@ZeppoMarxist
Just watched WINGS, so now I’ve seen 73 Best Picture winners. Just in time for the Oscars, where hopefully it will magically become 74 when they give it to one of the movies I’ve already seen.

@ZeppoMarxist
Still to go:

@ZeppoMarxist
UPDATE:

I am abandoning this project so I never have to watch Green Book.
   268. Howie Menckel Posted: February 25, 2019 at 12:12 AM (#5817786)

Michael Nordine
‏Verified account @slowbeard

"Everytime somebody's driving somebody, I lose," Spike Lee just said in the #Oscars press room.
11:59 PM - 24 Feb 2019

Michael Nordine
‏Verified account @slowbeard
9m9 minutes ago

"Let me take another sip," he said after being asked about Green Book winning Best Picture. "Next question!"
   269. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: February 25, 2019 at 12:15 AM (#5817787)
A few representative tweets from my corner of #FilmTwitter

@Ceilidhann
Hollywood is racist. Hollywood is misogynist. Hollywood is complicit in the mass cover-up of systemic abuse. And it was all on show tonight. Congratulations. #oscars

@AlyssaRosenberg
It seemed that I picked an excellent year to declare bankruptcy on a whole lot of American popular culture.

@MarkHarrisNYC
Remember when Green Book won Best Picture? Man, that choice did not age well.

270. BrianBrianson Posted: February 25, 2019 at 06:58 AM (#5817791)
That mostly really just demonstrates how twitter is rarely a good medium for communication.
   271. Lassus Posted: February 25, 2019 at 07:41 AM (#5817793)
I disliked Green Book a lot more before this thread.
   272. BrianBrianson Posted: February 25, 2019 at 09:11 AM (#5817808)
I haven't seen Green Book - indeed, I had totally forgotten it existed. But the fact that I was motivated to read a couple articles attacking it, and none could say anything bad about it's quality as a movie lead me to suspect it's a pretty good movie. Just not a movie that makes the political points some people wish it had made. Which leads me to suspect it's actually a very good movie - movies people like because they argue their politics are probably going to be terrible.

Jurassic Park is a truly timeless, excellent movie, even if it's politics are essentially diametrically opposed to my own. For instance.
   273. jmurph Posted: February 25, 2019 at 09:41 AM (#5817817)
"Everytime somebody's driving somebody, I lose," Spike Lee just said in the #Oscars press room.

That's a great line.
   274. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: February 25, 2019 at 10:02 AM (#5817825)
271- Aw yeah, trigger the libs!
   275. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: February 25, 2019 at 10:08 AM (#5817828)
I just don't get why anyone cares about the Oscars.

Has anyone seen Last Man? Is that worth checking out when it comes my way?
   276. Lassus Posted: February 25, 2019 at 10:11 AM (#5817831)

I agree with this, but only recently. I really used to love them.
   277. stig-tossled, hornswoggled gef the typing mongoose Posted: February 25, 2019 at 10:13 AM (#5817832)

Or any other industry awards, IMHO. The fact that people exist -- apparently in droves, even -- who have less of a life than I do is truly concerning.
   278. BrianBrianson Posted: February 25, 2019 at 10:22 AM (#5817837)
Why does anyone care about who wins the AL MVP?
   279. stig-tossled, hornswoggled gef the typing mongoose Posted: February 25, 2019 at 10:30 AM (#5817839)
Why does anyone care about who wins the AL MVP?

Good question. Who won it last year? I can't recall.

Edit: Thinking about it ... Mookie Betts, maybe? I remember reading an article here a week or so ago about J.D. Martinez not winning it because he's a DH, & IIRC it said the award went to his teammate.
   280. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: February 25, 2019 at 10:32 AM (#5817841)
Green Book winning is taking away from what should be the main story, which is that, in the year after the Weinstein/Cosby/Toback “#MeToo” systemic sexual assault revelations, the Academy bent over backwards to honor a movie made by a notorious sexual predator and child rapist.
   281. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: February 25, 2019 at 10:38 AM (#5817845)
Green Book winning is taking away from what should be the main story, which is that, in the year after the Weinstein/Cosby/Toback “#MeToo” systemic sexual assault revelations, the Academy bent over backwards to honor a movie made by a notorious sexual predator and child rapist.

I imagine a lot of the old dudes who vote for the Oscars have fond memories of their casting couches and don't see the problem.
   282. jmurph Posted: February 25, 2019 at 10:40 AM (#5817846)
I think the Oscars are pretty silly but I also fundamentally believe that, if you're going to go to the trouble of putting them on, the voters should actually take their responsibilities seriously. I don't think they do that, so I don't watch much anymore.
   283. Lassus Posted: February 25, 2019 at 10:54 AM (#5817852)
the Academy bent over backwards to honor a movie made by a notorious sexual predator and child rapist.

Emile Hirsh - as opposed to Rami Malek - was convicted of assaulting a woman.
   284. BrianBrianson Posted: February 25, 2019 at 10:55 AM (#5817853)
The Oscars have really re-worked who votes, and it's (as I understand it) not right to think of the voters as a bunch of old dudes (though there are no doubt some).

Rather, the most plausible answer is probably what's obvious from 280: Davo doesn't even try to argue another movie was better, but rather argues the politics of it are bad. There's no reason to think that the voters (even if they're black, or women, or whoever) want their whole industry to be about nothing but sexual assault, and chose to vote for the best movie because they care about movies. It's believe people who devote their lives to making movies want their industry awards to be about making good movies.

I find it really telling that no one tries to argue there was a better movie than the Green Book; rather, they try to argue they'd like it better politically if some other movie one. Which is rapidly convincing me it was a deserving win (I only saw Black Panther, which I'm pretty sure was not worthy of best picture, though I could buy it for music and costumes).
   285. jmurph Posted: February 25, 2019 at 11:03 AM (#5817855)
I find it really telling that no one tries to argue there was a better movie than the Green Book; rather, they try to argue they'd like it better politically if some other movie one.

It appears to be nearly universally held that Roma was a better movie and likely lost due to anti-Netflix sentiment among the big Hollywood studios. In other words, it's always about politics of one kind or another.
   286. Baldrick Posted: February 25, 2019 at 11:08 AM (#5817857)
I find it really telling that no one tries to argue there was a better movie than the Green Book

I don't watch movies and mostly try to avoid discussion of movies, but this is utter nonsense.
   287. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: February 25, 2019 at 11:14 AM (#5817859)
Brian, not to pile on, but you're not looking very hard if that's what you're seeing. What I saw pre-awards was that this year was notable for the number of films with mixed-to good but unexceptional reviews nominated for best picture (as noted in this setting a few weeks ago). Green Book was considered to be in the pile of so-so. Of my friends who have seen it (with a variety of politics), their consensus was that it was decent, but far from "best picture quality".

I never understood why Roma was considered the favorite, BAFTA aside, given that it's a non-English language movie. That's a huge hurdle, on top of the Netflix issue.
   288. chisoxcollector Posted: February 25, 2019 at 11:24 AM (#5817864)
I also don’t quite understand what is so awful about Green Book. I really enjoyed it. I understand that it may or may not be historically accurate, and that some find it’s politics problematic. I thought it was a well acted, reasonably well made crowd pleaser.

As of this moment I’ve seen 110 films released in 2018, and Green Book just squeaked into my top 10. I would have preferred that Roma or A Star is Born win Best Picture, but they could have done a lot worse than Green Book. Bohemian Rhapsody or Vice could have won, for example.
   289. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: February 25, 2019 at 11:29 AM (#5817871)
I never understood why Roma was considered the favorite, BAFTA aside, given that it's a non-English language movie.
It's a black-and-white movie in a foreign language, made by a famous director with previous Oscar wins and "serious movie" cred, that touches on historical and social issues and is as slow as a David Price vs. Odubel Herrera at-bat in the World Series. If that doesn't scream "ART!!!!" I don't know what does. It's exactly the kind of film that the Academy likes to pat itself on the back for.
   290. Lassus Posted: February 25, 2019 at 11:29 AM (#5817872)
BTW, I've been watching Ali in True Detective (watching finale tonight, please don't blurt anything out), and that dude is a Class A+ pro actor, as is Colman, both of those awards were well-deserved.

It's exactly the kind of film that the Academy likes to pat itself on the back for.

Except it lost, so this is an odd complaint.
   291. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: February 25, 2019 at 11:33 AM (#5817874)
If that doesn't scream "ART!!!!" I don't know what does. It's exactly the kind of film that the Academy likes to pat itself on the back for.

Yeah, but ART!!!! doesn't win best picture anyway.
---
Oh, Ali and Viggo are excellent actors.
   292. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: February 25, 2019 at 11:34 AM (#5817875)
Except it lost, so this is an odd complaint.
Not a complaint, I was just saying that it's not surprising that it was the (a?) favorite going in. I didn't dislike Roma - I appreciated what Cuaron was doing, I just didn't think it needed to be quite that slow.
   293. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: February 25, 2019 at 11:37 AM (#5817876)
284 and 286- Indeed. Even if we just go by as blunt a metric as “Tomato Meter” score, we get Green Book at 80% positive and Bohemian Rhapsody at 60%.

Just looking....Smallfoot was 76%. Hotel Transylvania 3 was 60%. The Man Who Killed Hitler and Then Bigfoot is at 76%. Mamma Mia! 2: Here We Go Again was 81%. Uncle Drew (starring Kyrie Irving and Shaquille O’Neal) clocked in at 64% positive. Deadpool 2 was 83% positive. Sgt. Stubby: An American Hero was 87% positive. Upgrade was 87%. Solo: A Star Wars Movie was 70%. Etc etc etc. You can find dozens of mediocre movies like this.
   294. BrianBrianson Posted: February 25, 2019 at 11:52 AM (#5817885)
Brian, not to pile on, but you're not looking very hard if that's what you're seeing.

I read two reaction articles (for me, rather a lot, really), and the discussion here. All of them were entirely about the politics of who won, none even tried to address the actual merit of the films.

If Roma's on Netflix, maybe I'll give it a go, then.
   295. jmurph Posted: February 25, 2019 at 11:57 AM (#5817889)
I read two reaction articles (for me, rather a lot, really), and the discussion here. All of them were entirely about the politics of who won, none even tried to address the actual merit of the films.

If Roma's on Netflix, maybe I'll give it a go, then.

I mean... I don't want to be a jerk but 284 is kind of weak for a guy who read two articles and didn't know Roma was a Netflix production.
   296. Baldrick Posted: February 25, 2019 at 11:58 AM (#5817890)

It seems pretty likely that they're talking about the politics of it because no one thinks it's remotely plausible that a bunch of movie experts actually thought Green Book was 'the best' movie, in the sense of being the best made movie. So they're trying to assess what actually did factor into the decision.

But even as someone who doesn't care about movies, I've heard/seen dozens of discussions of this movie, every single one of which concluded that it was at best a modestly-successful crowd-pleaser.
   297. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: February 25, 2019 at 12:20 PM (#5817893)
I think that's right Baldrick (296), though what I've heard first hand from people has been a bit sunnier than that.
--
Pre-awards, I'd say the critical consensus was that Roma (96 on Metacritic - which I'm using as a proxy) was the best of these films (though not overwhelmingly). The Favourite (90; which I missed seeing in theaters by a day, dang!) was up there as well (the three principals were all nominated for best actress or supporting actress, which is saying something). First Man (84) and If Beale Street Could Talk (87) were not nominees, but I'd argue might have gotten a nom in a world without the La La Land / Moonlight kerfuffle. (I like the Oscars! (and consistently win pools on them) They are really stupid!) Black Panther (88) didn't strike me as a Best Pic flick, but that it was as good as it was while being a Marvel flick impressed me. BlacKkKlansman (83) had a shot in the lifetime award for Spike sense. A Star Is Born (88) would have been a reasonable choice by most accounts.

Green Book had a 69, which I believe is the lowest score for a winner since Crash* (same), to which it has been compared for its dumbed-down racial politics. (Bohemian Rhapsody, incidentally, has a hard to fathom 49**... and, if rumors are to be believed, its Golden Globe was money well spent.)

* On the political front (bear with me, this is about the anecdote, I'm not trying to score points), I saw Crash with a bunch of conservatives from central Ohio. When it ended, I was angry at how bad it was only to hear (to my surprise) them talk about how it was great. Later, one of them said how they were glad that racism is finally over now and I lost my mind.
** Someone was talking about The Core in this thread? That's about what The Core got.
   298. My name is Votto, and I love to get blotto Posted: February 25, 2019 at 12:24 PM (#5817898)
My Thoughts:

1. Why was Mahershala Ali nominated in Supporting Actor, rather than Lead?

2. "Green Book" winning seems like Prisoner's Dilemma: the result of avoiding a worse outcome.

3. Gaga and Cooper were sensational.

299. Hot Wheeling American, MS-13 Enthusiast Posted: February 25, 2019 at 12:24 PM (#5817899)
I try my best to approach the Oscars like I do the Baseball HOF or Wrestlemania - things I could get way too invested in, but try to be a little removed and not take things so hard. So, trying not to be livid if I movie I didn't like wins Best Picture. It's an enormous voting bloc, so expecting anything other than popular middlebrow stuff to rise to the top is setting up for disappointment. It's best when it's a celebration of movies and it's nice when someone or a movie you like gets recognized. Similar to baseball playoffs, I don't mind the length so long as things don't feel like a slog.
   300. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: February 25, 2019 at 12:29 PM (#5817902)
I'm wait late to this party, but my wife and I binged The Leftovers over the last few weeks. It was one of those shows where I find myself wondering if it was any "good" or not but it was engrossing enough to get me to the end and the finale was probably the best series finale I've ever seen.
Page 3 of 7 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Downtown Bookie
for his generous support.