Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, January 01, 2019

OT - Catch-All Pop Culture Extravaganza (January 2019)

The 2018-19 TV season is at the midway point, so here’s our annual list of midseason premiere dates for new and returning series. It covers hundreds of broadcast, cable and streaming programs debuting from January 1 through early May and includes shows that were on hiatus.

Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: January 01, 2019 at 08:38 AM | 221 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: movies, music, off-topic, television, whatever else belongs under the rubric of 'popular culture'

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 > 
   1. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: January 01, 2019 at 12:45 AM (#5801506)
Not listed, the most important return of all. Tonight, wherever you find British imports that are not yet available stateside.
   2. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: January 01, 2019 at 03:24 AM (#5801507)
Happy new year, everyone.
   3. Lassus Posted: January 01, 2019 at 10:22 AM (#5801516)
I'm hoping to see Aquaman today. Or Spider-verse.
   4. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: January 01, 2019 at 11:30 AM (#5801519)
Happy New Year!
   5. Random Transaction Generator Posted: January 01, 2019 at 12:55 PM (#5801537)
I saw "Vice" over the holidays. It was very good. If you liked "The Big Short", you'll like "Vice" as well. It plays with the fourth wall and likes to present information in non-traditional methods.

Christian Bale is ridiculous with his transformations. There are legitimately times in the movie where they show a scene on a TV screen and you do a double-take because you can't figure out if it's real footage of Cheney or Bale. Note: it's always Bale.

Steve Carrell is excellent as Rumsfeld, and Amy Adams presents Lynn Cheney in a way that was interesting to me (as I knew nothing about her before this movie).

6. Random Transaction Generator Posted: January 01, 2019 at 12:56 PM (#5801538)
Or Spider-verse.

Oh, very good movie. I think it might be my favourite animated movie and it also might be my favourite superhero movie.
   7. Master of the Horse Posted: January 01, 2019 at 05:22 PM (#5801596)
Finally had the pineapple teriyaki brats my uncle gave me. Really good. I am down with modern brat innovation
   8. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: January 01, 2019 at 05:30 PM (#5801597)
I’m moving it over cuz dammit this is important!!!

The 25 Best Movies I Saw For The First Time In 2018

25. A Film Like Any Other (1968, Jean-Luc Godard)
24. An Inspector Calls (2015, Aisling Walsh)
23. The Sisters Brothers (2018, Jacques Audiard)
22. The Idiots (1998, Lars Von Trier)
21. Pearlblossom Hwy (2012, Mike Ott)

20. Thirst Street (2017, Nathan Silver)
19. Nymphomaniac (2013, Lars von Trier)
18. Sorry to Bother You (2018, Boots Riley)
17. Fahrenheit 11/9 (2018, Michael Moore)
16. Strike (1925, Sergei Eisenstein)

15. Lake Los Angeles (2014, Mike Ott)
14. Hereditary (2018, Ari Aster)
13. Happy End (2017, Michael Haneke)
12. Christmas, Again (2014, Charles Poekel)
11. Shadows (1959, John Cassavetes)

10. Spring Night, Summer Night (1967, JL Anderson)
9. Smallfoot (2018, Karey Kirkpatrick)
8. Dying at Grace (2003, Allan King)
7. Exit Elena (2012, Nathan Silver)
6. The Gospel According to Matthew (1964, Pier Pasolini)

5. Meet Me in St. Louis (1944, Vincente Minnelli)
4. Holiday Affair (1949, Don Hartman)
3. A Woman Under the Influence (1974, John Cassavetes)
2. Breaking the Waves (1996, Lars Von Trier)
1. Honey (1999, David Ball)
   9. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: January 01, 2019 at 06:47 PM (#5801602)
I'm hoping to see Aquaman today.

I'm hoping you will reconsider your decision!

It's crummy and stupid. And not good stupid, just stupid stupid.

Should you decline this advice, amuse yourself by counting how many scenes there are of a bad guy's arrival beginning with a large explosion. Three? Nope. Four? Keep going...
   10. Lassus Posted: January 01, 2019 at 09:15 PM (#5801613)
I'm hoping you will reconsider your decision!
It's crummy and stupid. And not good stupid, just stupid stupid.

I do appreciate the advice. I'll probably go anyhow.

If it makes you feel better, though, on the way to the movie, I was actually t-boned and rather lost the car, thereby stopping me from seeing the film. Whoops. (I'm fine.)
   11. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: January 02, 2019 at 05:37 AM (#5801639)
I sort-of watched 'Bridge of Spies' over the holidays. I knew going in that I am largely immune to Spielberg's charms, but I was underwhelmed even by those standards. There's nothing wrong with the movie, precisely, and the main character is a compelling person about whom a movie could be made. But the story just very much seemed to be sitting there. Looked nice, though.

I also watched 'White Dog', which was interesting, and 'Kong: Skull Island', which was insufficiently crazy. In between, I tried to get less bad at 'Into The Breach', which is a very highly-reviewed turn-based strategy/puzzler PC game with an addictive hook that I thought I had largely outgrown.
   12. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: January 02, 2019 at 06:20 AM (#5801640)
I sort-of watched 'Bridge of Spies' over the holidays. I knew going in that I am largely immune to Spielberg's charms, but I was underwhelmed even by those standards. There's nothing wrong with the movie, precisely, and the main character is a compelling person about whom a movie could be made. But the story just very much seemed to be sitting there. Looked nice, though.

The last great movie Spielberg directed was "Minority Report," 17 years ago. I could be persuaded about "Catch Me If You Can" from the same year.

"Munich" and "War of the Worlds" (both 2005) are flawed but good.

Just about everything since has been mediocre popcorn fare ("Tintin"), terrible popcorn fare ("Indiana's Crystal Skull"; "Ready Player One), or stolid and professional award scrounging ("Lincoln" being the most watchable of these; "The Post" and "Bridge of Sighs" being by-the-numbers projects that feel like it). I haven't seen "The BFG" or "War Horse," but they smell like one more of each. "The Terminal" is another "just sitting there" story.

That covers Spielberg's 21st century so far, except for the beautiful, weird, crippled, and bipolar "A.I.: Artificial Intelligence."

Surprised me a little, to realize exactly how long it's been since there's been one of his films I would genuinely regret not having seen. I am NOT largely immune to Spielberg's charms, but Pixar has been doing immaculate manipulation better than him for two decades now.
   13. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: January 02, 2019 at 08:29 AM (#5801649)

The last great movie Spielberg directed was "Minority Report," 17 years ago. I could be persuaded about "Catch Me If You Can" from the same year.

"Munich" and "War of the Worlds" (both 2005) are flawed but good.

"Munich" is the only one of those I found compelling - I'm not sure I've re-watched it in a while, but it definitely left an impression that lingered beyond the credits. I might need to give "Lincoln" a re-watch. Plenty of people I know loved "Minority Report" (including my father, a semi-serious collector of Philip K. Dick work) but I found my attention drifting until I was rooting for it to be over in the cinema. But I'm not a lover of 20th century Spielberg at all either, even including "Jaws" and "Jurassic Park", so I'm definitely the one who's out of step with popular opinion. "Bridge" got such good reviews that I felt I might get a similar product to "Munich", but it just kind of glided on and off the screen. Oh well.

The fact that young me enjoyed the Barry Levinson movie "Toys" more than almost any other family movie probably indicates something maladjusted.
   14. McCoy Posted: January 02, 2019 at 08:40 AM (#5801654)
I think Lincoln would qualify as a great Spielberg movie if Minority Report also falls into that category. War Horse is a schmaltzy script but the actual finished product is pretty amazing looking. The Post probably should have been done by a different director. I think the film was too slick for the story they were telling. I think BFG was like Hook in that it lacked any real heart and was largely a shiny looking empty bauble. Even something like The Terminal probably would have benefited from a different kind of director.

Ready Player One was kind of a disaster but I read the book beforehand so I don't know how to view the movie on its own.
   15. Lassus Posted: January 02, 2019 at 08:46 AM (#5801656)
I'm a big sci-fi guy and I found Minority Report completely underwhelming. That seems to be the minority opinion.

I constantly get MUNICH (which I've never seen) mixed up with THE DEBT, which I have. Not sure why. I did enjoy the latter.

Oh, I did see Ready Player One over the weekend. I might be more forgiving with popcorn fare so it was compelling enough to make the housework go slower at least; but I don't think the book (which - flame on - I actually did like) translates to film at all.
   16. McCoy Posted: January 02, 2019 at 08:55 AM (#5801660)
I think it could have. Obviously a lot of the introspection would have to go but a movie about a bunch of misfits taking on the "big guy" with lots of CGI is not exactly something Hollywood has a problem tackling.
   17. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: January 02, 2019 at 08:59 AM (#5801661)
Since Bob Dylan was discussed in the previous thread, my Dylan-crazed son gave me a bottle of "Heaven's Door" whiskey. I am not a connoisseur by any means, but I like it a lot. Rich, almost caramelly, taste with a nice after burn.
   18. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: January 02, 2019 at 09:03 AM (#5801664)
I hadn't read the book of RP1, though my wife had, and had only a vague idea of what to expect. It seemed like 'Wreck-It Ralph' executed a similar concept with much more grace and humor. And better thought-out, too - how do you make one big cameo reveal in RP1 the arrival of the titular star of a 1999 animated movie, widely applauded for its humanist themes, and then turn it/him into an unthinking weapon? Did Spielberg even see the original? Jeez.
   19. McCoy Posted: January 02, 2019 at 09:25 AM (#5801673)
I will admit that the themes of the book didn't age well as gamers have done themselves a disservice by acting like idiots since 2011. Plus we as a society have moved on since 2011. Shutting down the OASIS two days a week?
   20. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: January 02, 2019 at 09:42 AM (#5801677)
That covers Spielberg's 21st century so far, except for the beautiful, weird, crippled, and bipolar "A.I.: Artificial Intelligence."

I think that movie is quite good and represents the great tradition of real science fiction commendably. I think it would have been better if Kubrick was around to direct it, but of course that caveat applies to pretty much every movie ever made.
   21. Nasty Nate Posted: January 02, 2019 at 09:56 AM (#5801687)
I like nature shows, and the British ones with Attenborough are good, except for one really annoying thing. They look great and his voice is fine, but the sound is getting progressively worse. I know that nature documentaries usually can't just mic and record what they are filming and so most of the sound is recreated. But they have given up on trying to make it sound like the actual world, and just now try to make it sound cooool, or creepy, etc in an exaggerated way as if it were a cheesy action movie. I kind of wish I had never noticed this.
   22. Master of the Horse Posted: January 02, 2019 at 12:44 PM (#5801774)
War Horse is a great book, and SS ###### up the story in so many ways I don't know why bothered to do the movie. And it's better as the puppet version on broadway anyway.
   23. McCoy Posted: January 02, 2019 at 12:44 PM (#5801775)
Mean Gene has died at the age of 76. I would have thought he was in his 80's. God, everybody looks old when you're a kid.
   24. Benji Gil Gamesh VII - The Opt-Out Awakens Posted: January 02, 2019 at 01:02 PM (#5801782)
If it makes you feel better, though, on the way to the movie, I was actually t-boned and rather lost the car, thereby stopping me from seeing the film. Whoops. (I'm fine.)
Well then maybe we should call you, T-bone.
   25. Greg K Posted: January 02, 2019 at 01:09 PM (#5801786)
Well then maybe we should call you, T-bone.

Seems more like a Ko-Ko to me.
   26. JJ1986 Posted: January 02, 2019 at 01:28 PM (#5801791)
I like Spielberg's Tintin a lot, my favorite of his films since A.I. I don't have much familiarity with the books, but it's got some good looking action scenes and a nice pace.
   27. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: January 02, 2019 at 01:29 PM (#5801793)
Mean Gene has died at the age of 76. I would have thought he was in his 80's. God, everybody looks old when you're a kid.

He was well-known as an alcoholic and lost her hair fairly young, so he aged poorly.
   28. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: January 02, 2019 at 01:49 PM (#5801796)
Mean Gene has died at the age of 76.

So has Bob Einstein. But not to worry, Super Dave was unscathed.
   29. Walks Clog Up the Bases Posted: January 02, 2019 at 02:19 PM (#5801809)
Not ashamed to admit that Mean Gene was one of those prominent voices of my childhood in the same sense that some of you guys speak of baseball broadcasters.

He also dropped "jabroni" a full decade before The Rock popularized it.
   30. Master of the Horse Posted: January 02, 2019 at 02:25 PM (#5801815)
Don't know if anyone here is still on cable but for anyone looking for a cheaper alternative that can do live sports which is typically the only reason people stick with cable YouTubeTV is a really good platform. REally reliable and works with Roku, AppleTV, whatever. Supports MLBTV too.

I recommended this to my older family members like five months ago and several have done it and are happy with the change. FWIW I have no financial interest in this.
   31. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: January 03, 2019 at 12:38 PM (#5802060)
GOOD READS DATA DUMP (part 1 of 3)

Okay, these are the 21 novels/plays I read in 2018, ranked in rough order from most memorable to least memorable:

Ice, by Anna Kavan
Change the Name, by Anna Kavan
Doctor Glas, by Hjalmar Soderberg
The Maimed, by Hermann Ungar
Arslan, by MJ Engh
No Exit, by Jean-Paul Sartre
We Have Always lived in the Castle, by Shirley Jackson
The Intruder, by Maurice Maeterlinck
The Ship, by Hans Henry Jahn
The Little Girl Who Was Too Fond of Matches, by Gaetan Soucy
The Locusts Have No King, by Dawn Powell

The Iron Heel, by Jack London
The Parson, by Anna Kavan
Echo: The Complete Edition, by Terry Moore
Herland, by Charlotte Perkins Gilman
Sleep Has His House, by Anna Kavan
Pattern Recognition, by William Gibson
Blood Wedding, by Frederico Garcia Lorca
Berg, by Ann Quin
The Shutter of Snow, by Emily Holmes Coleman
Kassandra and the Wolf, by Margarita Karapanou
   32. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: January 03, 2019 at 12:38 PM (#5802061)
GOOD READS DATA DUMP (part 2 of 3)

These are the eleven short story collections I read, again ranked in order from most memorable to least memorable:

Walk in the Light & Twenty-Three Tales, by Leo Tolstoy
Asylum Piece, by Anna Kavan
Dear Life, by Alice Munro
Julia and the Bazooka (and Other Storier) by Anna Kavan
The Safety of Objects, by A.M. Homes
Memories of the Future, by Sigizmund Krzhizhanovsky
When Watched, by Leopoldine Core
The Dragon: Fifteen Stories, by Yevgeny Zamyatin
Homesick for Another World, by Ottessa Moshfegh
Death Is Not an Option, by Suzanne Rivecca
Don't Kiss Me: Stories, by Lindsay Hunter
   33. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: January 03, 2019 at 12:38 PM (#5802062)
GOOD READS DATA DUMP (part 3 of 3)

And these are the fifteen non-fiction books I read, from most to least memorable:

The Kingdom of God Is Within You, by Leo Tolstoy
A Confession (and Other Religious Writings), by Leo Tolstoy
The Nazi Seizure of Power: The Experience of a Single German Town 1922-1945
Heroes: Mass Murder and Suicide, by Bifo Berardi
The People of the Abyss, by Jack London

The Work of Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction, by Walter Benjamin
The Long Loneliness: An Autobiography of the Legendary Catholic Social Activist, by Dorothy Day
Bullshit Jobs: A Theory, by David Graeber
The Sixth Extinction: An Unnatural History, by Elizabeth Kolbert
Public Enemies: Dueling Writers Take On Each Other and the World, by Michel Houellebecq and Bernard-Henri Levy

Britton on Film: The Complete Film Criticism of Andrew Britton, by Andrew Britton
The True Believer: Thoughts on the Nature of Mass Movements, by Eric Hoffer
Kill All Normies: Online Culture Wars from 4chan and Tumblr to Trump and the Alt-Right, by Angela Nagle
The Chapo Guide to Revolution: A Manifesto Against Logic, Facts, and Reason, by Chapo Trap House
In the Blink of an Eye, by Walter Murch
   34. McCoy Posted: January 03, 2019 at 01:46 PM (#5802083)
Saw White Boy Rick last night and two things. One, there is no there there and two, who ever cut the trailer should be shot for false advertising because the movie was nothing like its trailer.The movie seemed to be a riff on The Wrestler (and Aronofsky did produce this one) and The Fighter but without really bothering to get below the surface on pretty much anything.
   35. Hysterical & Useless Posted: January 03, 2019 at 03:45 PM (#5802145)
New Year's Day I had my first "celebrity" sighting in an age, and certainly one of the more random ones I've ever had. My wife and I were at the Cold Spring MetroNorth station, coming home after having lunch with #2 son. Saw this tall guy with white hair and glasses. Turned to my wife and said "I'm pretty sure that guy is Jim Jarmusch." She said, "Wait till he turns his back and call 'Hey, Jim, see if he looks.'" I didn't, but did look him up online to see if my memory was correct. Yep, it was him.

Too bad I didn't have my headshot and resume with me.
   36. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: January 03, 2019 at 04:09 PM (#5802165)
When I lived in Miami I'd have a celebrity sighting most weekends down on South Beach. Madonna, Sharon Stone, Sylvester Stallone, Cindy Crawford, Bjork, Prince...since moving to the northeast my celebrity sightings have been decidedly less impressive. Rode in a subway car with Ann Coulter. Saw "Ferris Bueller" actor Jeffrey Jones coming out of a coffee shop. Found an eggplant that looked like John Muir. That's about it.
   37. McCoy Posted: January 03, 2019 at 04:12 PM (#5802169)
I've probably ran into some celebrities and just didn't know it. My wife points them out a lot and I'm regularly going, "who's that?" Down in the Atlanta area you see your fair share and my wife travels a lot so at least once a quarter she'll spot a celebrity at the airport or on the plane. My last celebrity sighting was Jay Glazer many months back and if memory serves me right he was either flying from DC to ATL or ATL to DC on the flight I was on. Saw Al Sharpton at the DC airport and Joel McHale at an outdoor shopping mall as well. I think those are my three most recent celebrity spottings. Back when I lived in DC I would see a bunch more almost constantly because of work.
   38. Hysterical & Useless Posted: January 03, 2019 at 05:03 PM (#5802219)
In the early 80s, had a short-term temp gig in the furniture department at Bloomingdale's, Ed Bradley of CBS News came in to do some shopping (at least I think he was shopping, never saw an expose of Bloomies on 60 Minutes). Saw Harry Reasoner walking on Columbus Ave once. Saw Paul Schafer of the Letterman show two or three times. Phil Hoffman crossing 2nd Ave down in the East Village, pretending to talk on his phone. Mike Tyson in the Delta departure lounge at JFK.

I used to work with a woman who would run into celebrities everywhere she went. Would chat with them, get pictures with them. I just don't pay enough attention to what's going on around me I guess.
   39. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: January 03, 2019 at 05:36 PM (#5802225)
EDIT: Nevermind, misread the post.
   40. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: January 03, 2019 at 06:07 PM (#5802232)
I'm a big sci-fi guy and I found Minority Report completely underwhelming. That seems to be the minority opinion.

Maybe so, but you're not alone. That movie is dumber than 10 Lasordas crossed with 10 packs of dogs ...
   41. Toby Posted: January 03, 2019 at 06:14 PM (#5802234)
Sorry to intrude, but what happened to the OT Politics threads? Seems like they stopped in November and never resumed. Never posted in them but enjoyed reading them on occasion.
   42. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: January 03, 2019 at 06:17 PM (#5802235)
Sorry to intrude, but what happened to the OT Politics threads?

They got nuked.
   43. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: January 03, 2019 at 06:51 PM (#5802239)
41- The Admin of this site removed them, permanently, as he felt they were sowing too much discord.
   44. Toby Posted: January 03, 2019 at 06:52 PM (#5802241)
Thanks.
   45. Rennie's Tenet Posted: January 03, 2019 at 07:14 PM (#5802242)
I saw Tony Bennett going into the CBS News building in DC in the mid-eighties. The toupee was nothing short of magnificent.
   46. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: January 03, 2019 at 07:28 PM (#5802245)
I saw a werewolf drinking a piña colada at Trader Vic's. His hair was perfect.
   47. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: January 03, 2019 at 07:44 PM (#5802249)
No you didn’t.
   48. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: January 03, 2019 at 07:47 PM (#5802250)
Sorry to intrude, but what happened to the OT Politics threads?

It didn’t seem like it was as much fun to trigger the libs when it became obvious how ###### Donald Trump’s entire family is.
   49. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: January 03, 2019 at 08:01 PM (#5802253)
New Year's Day I had my first "celebrity" sighting in an age

New Year's Eve, my wife and I had dinner in the same restaurant as Bill and Hillary.
   50. Cowboy Popup Posted: January 03, 2019 at 09:34 PM (#5802269)
I met...Rob Dibble once. That sucked. Shook Michael Bloomberg's hand. He sucked.

That's all I can think of. Just missed meeting DJ Premier once.
   51. PreservedFish Posted: January 03, 2019 at 09:47 PM (#5802273)
One time I saw the Men's Wearhouse guy.
   52. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: January 03, 2019 at 09:49 PM (#5802274)
Did you like the way he looked?
   53. PreservedFish Posted: January 03, 2019 at 10:08 PM (#5802280)
Indeed. I no longer take his guarantees lightly.
   54. manchestermets Posted: January 04, 2019 at 04:56 AM (#5802325)
New Year's Eve, my wife and I had dinner in the same restaurant as Bill and Hillary.

In a million years I'd never have had you down as someone who ate out on New Year's Eve. You seem notably cost-conscious regarding restaurants (not in a skinflint way, just a sensible way) yet you eat in one on the night they triple their prices? Or is the New Year's Eve price gouge just a UK restaurant thing?
   55. McCoy Posted: January 04, 2019 at 08:02 AM (#5802337)
It's everywhere. My wife had some interest in going out this NYE and I asked her why you would want to deal with all that for mediocre food, choices, service but high prices. In the end we cooked at home and it was delicious.
   56. Lassus Posted: January 04, 2019 at 08:05 AM (#5802339)
I've been out for a nice dinner at least twice on NYE in the city, it was slightly more festive and no more expensive than any other time. YMMV

I had dinner at the same restaurant as Bill and some entourage in Miami about a year and a half ago. He was holding court, for sure, and the place was rather packed with security but not really otherwise overcrowded. It was nice. Good food, too. Ummm..... I'm reasonably sure it was Preston's Market in the Loews hotel.
   57. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: January 04, 2019 at 08:39 AM (#5802345)
I met Andy Warhol at a really chic party.
   58. Nasty Nate Posted: January 04, 2019 at 09:34 AM (#5802356)
All I ever hear is that people avoid going out on NYE and Valentines's Day. If that sentiment has become widespread, is it actually still crowded and a hassle on those nights?
   59. McCoy Posted: January 04, 2019 at 09:41 AM (#5802358)
Yes but to comment on Lassus's post it also depends on the restaurant. There are of course lots and lots of restaurants and not all of them behave the same. Some restaurants might simply extend the hours that there kitchen is open and tightly control the reservations so that there is no crush. If Lassus has found a restaurant that has given him a good experience at normal prices on NYE then kudos to him. But generally the entire thing is a shvtshow. Heavy traffic, surrounded by amateurs and gawkers, overbooked restaurants, kitchens under siege, prix fixe menus, and long waits for basically everything.
   60. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: January 04, 2019 at 09:59 AM (#5802365)
All I ever hear is that people avoid going out on NYE and Valentines's Day. If that sentiment has become widespread, is it actually still crowded and a hassle on those nights?

Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded.
   61. Morty Causa Posted: January 04, 2019 at 11:31 AM (#5802409)
Rather facile and superficial "commemoration" of Salinger, and Catcher in the Rye, on his 100th birthday. Pushes all the coventional buttons.

But see the comments section: Almost 800 comments and still going. What's always surprising, and rather amusing, is how passionate, and intemperate, the detractors are, while seriously maintaining that there's nothing to see here, move on. They take it so personally, you can't help but laugh.

For a corrective to Charles's tripe, see the just-published article by Adam Kirsch in Tablet. It makes perceptive comments on what makes Salinger and his work different and distinctive, within its limits.

Did Salinger go Awry?
   62. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: January 04, 2019 at 11:38 AM (#5802413)
His forray into game shows was ill-advised.
   63. Morty Causa Posted: January 04, 2019 at 11:47 AM (#5802417)
The Fat Lady wouldn't think so.
   64. Swoboda is freedom Posted: January 04, 2019 at 11:48 AM (#5802418)
what makes Salinger and his work different and distinctive,

I never understood the love for Catcher. It was a fine book. I remember liking Franny and Zooey better.
   65. Master of the Horse Posted: January 04, 2019 at 11:50 AM (#5802420)
Saw Lords of Chaos. Entertained. I am always a fan of a Skarsgård in a movie. His dad was perfect as the serial killer in Dragon Tattoo. And isn't someone here a Lars fan? The older Skarsgård has done a lot of Von Trier movies.
   66. Swoboda is freedom Posted: January 04, 2019 at 11:53 AM (#5802421)
For the meetings, I met and shook hands with Martin Luther King once, though I have no memory of the event. My mother had my brother and I shake his hand but I was probably 2. He died the next year, though probably not related to meeting me.

I also met Nelson Mandela one time at the South African embassy in London. My flat mate in London was from South Africa and Mandela was there to encourage people to return.

67. jmurph Posted: January 04, 2019 at 11:54 AM (#5802425)
#### Swoboda, I think the rest of us can go ahead and stop mentioning celebrity sightings after that post.
   68. Morty Causa Posted: January 04, 2019 at 11:58 AM (#5802427)
I never understood the love for Catcher. It was a fine book. I remember liking Franny and Zooey better.

F & Z has its fans, as well as its critics. One thing that book demonstrates, and so do Raise High the Roofbeam Carpenters and some of the short stories in Nine Stories, is how adept Salinger is at telling and moving his story along through dialogue. In his way, he's as good as PG Wodehouse at this.
   69. Lassus Posted: January 04, 2019 at 12:01 PM (#5802428)
I never understood the love for Catcher. It was a fine book.

I remember after polishing it off in one night in Jr. High or whatever I excited told a teacher that I felt like it had been written with me in mind, it was so relate-able. She responded encouraging and excitedly "Oh, I know! That's the brilliance, everyone feels that way!" and then just kept walking to wherever she was going, leaving me with one of the best literature lessons of my life, in about five seconds. It was sort of hilariously devastating and astute. I never re-read it.

As far as Salinger, I really thought his best and most affecting was "Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters."
   70. stig-tossled, hornswoggled gef the typing mongoose Posted: January 04, 2019 at 12:12 PM (#5802434)
I had supper a decade-plus back a few tables away from Roy Moore at Olive Garden here in Montgomery. As far as I could tell, everyone at his table was of age.
   71. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: January 04, 2019 at 12:19 PM (#5802435)
In a million years I'd never have had you down as someone who ate out on New Year's Eve. You seem notably cost-conscious regarding restaurants (not in a skinflint way, just a sensible way) yet you eat in one on the night they triple their prices? Or is the New Year's Eve price gouge just a UK restaurant thing?

It's an occasion. It certainly wasn't triple the price. Probably 150% of what the restaurant would cost normally, and you got a 6 course meal, so way more food than normal. It was also very good. Service was quite slow though; they actually comped all of our drinks. I think they had a wedding going on at the same time, which probably screwed up the kitchen.
   72. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: January 04, 2019 at 12:20 PM (#5802439)
#### Swoboda, I think the rest of us can go ahead and stop mentioning celebrity sightings after that post.

I shook hands with John Paul II. Does that rate? I mean he is a Saint.
   73. jmurph Posted: January 04, 2019 at 12:27 PM (#5802442)
I shook hands with John Paul II. Does that rate? I mean he is a Saint.

My name probably implies a greater level of personal excitement about this one than is actually the case, but I will happily concede that's a pretty big deal to hundreds of millions (or probably billions?) of people!
   74. Esmailyn Gonzalez Sr. Posted: January 04, 2019 at 01:07 PM (#5802452)
His foray into game shows was ill-advised.

You're just bitter because you didn't interact with app every 80 seconds so it charged your credit card.
   75. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: January 04, 2019 at 01:24 PM (#5802457)
Shook Ali's hand; it was enormous.
Kevin Spacey paid me at a toll booth once. No punchline here.
Don Sutton (wearing a TBS jacket) glared at me (not sure why?) outside a furniture store in San Francisco.
   76. jmurph Posted: January 04, 2019 at 01:26 PM (#5802458)
Don Sutton (wearing a TBS jacket) glared at me (not sure why?) outside a furniture store in San Francisco.

Weren't shopping for furniture the right way?
   77. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: January 04, 2019 at 01:45 PM (#5802469)
Shook Ali's hand; it was enormous.

Oh, well, if we're talking boxers I've met a heap. Usually, as you say, I get taken aback by how huge and ham-like their hands are, but sometimes it's the opposite. I met Ernie Shavers in Las Vegas a few years back, and if you aren't familiar with his name he's generally considered to be among the hardest-hitting boxers in the history of the sport, with a strong case to be #1. Check out this highlight and you can see how he just paralyzes people when he lands.

And yet his hands were relatively tiny. I was literally stunned when I shook his hand. I told him he hit Larry Holmes so hard I thought he killed him and he laughed and said Larry told him the same thing.
   78. Baldrick Posted: January 04, 2019 at 04:12 PM (#5802549)

We had a late London dinner this NYE at a tapas place. Not only did they not raise the prices, they gave everyone there a free bottle of champagne to pop when it hit midnight.

All after we took in Macbeth by candlelight at the Shakespeare Globe. And before that we got a reasonably-priced afternoon tea at a place in Soho. It was, by far, the best New Years Eve experience of my life.

Further updates on our tour: we hit the Louvre yesterday and the Musee d'Orsay (and Rodin museum) today. Absolutely loved taking in some key pieces of French Revolutionary history, but the absolute highlight was the Impressionist collection at the d'Orsay. Just breathtaking.
   79. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: January 04, 2019 at 04:17 PM (#5802552)
Sounds like a great trip.
   80. McCoy Posted: January 04, 2019 at 04:20 PM (#5802557)
I met MLK's son last year. He had the chicken, I believe.
   81. McCoy Posted: January 04, 2019 at 04:24 PM (#5802559)
Back in the day I used to work Fight Night DC so I've met a ton of boxers and virtually all of them appear to be in a vegetative state. Ran into Ali at O'Hare about 20 years ago. They were moving him to a gate via a cart and attracted a crowd so they stopped in the middle of the aisle and everyone formed a circle around him and just kind of stared while he stood up in the cart and kind of waved and smiled. This went on for 5 or so minutes until he moved on to the plane.
   82. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: January 04, 2019 at 06:23 PM (#5802583)
@BeyondFest
ALL HAIL THE SHYAMALAN-A-THON! See the Eastrail133 Trilogy for the first time! UNBREAKABLE (35mm), SPLIT, GLASS on Jan 12 @ Egyptian FREE with RSVP courtesy of @UniversalPics, @blumhouse & @MNightShyamalan. Tix here wi RSVP (link: https://bit.ly/2BZZgE4) bit.ly/2BZZgE4

We are so close!!!
   83. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: January 04, 2019 at 06:41 PM (#5802585)
52 Directors Pick Their Favorite Movies of 2018

Robert Greene (“Bisbee ’17,” “Kate Plays Christine,” “Actress” )

10 great moments in nonfiction in 2018:

1. Johnny Gargano/Tommaso Ciampa feud, NXT: The greatest piece of storytelling in the last several decades.

2. “Hale County This Morning, This Evening”: Director RaMell Ross and his collaborators work to find new ways of seeing.

3. Robert Mueller Indictments: A severe dose of documentary reality in the fictional universe we inhabit.

4. “Thank U, Next”: Remember when that ####### priest touched Ariana?

5. “Of Fathers and Sons”: Slippery, tricky, essential filmmaking.

6. The Rise of Becky Lynch, WWE: Casual wrestling fans: did you know that the new “man” in wrestling is a woman?

7. Wyatt Wu’s “Nai Nai” / Erick Stoll & Chase Whiteside’s “America”: Two films (one by my student Wyatt from the Murray Center at Mizzou) about aging and deep familial love. A gorgeous, heartbreaking double feature if anyone wants to have a great screening in 2019.

8. “Shirkers”: Director Sandi Tan made the great Zine Movie of my dreams.

9. Bing Liu after any “Minding the Gap” screening: The movie is great but the director who made it is an especially graceful, charming, amazing fella. Fun to root for him.

10. Kazuchika Okada vs Kenny Omega – IWGP Heavyweight Championship – Dominion 6.9 In Osaka-Jo Hall: The best movie of the year.
   84. Morty Causa Posted: January 05, 2019 at 07:57 AM (#5802624)
I never understood the love for Catcher. It was a fine book

Because of its cultural resonance, Catcher as purely a literary creation is underappreciated and undervalued I think. That seems to fly by critics and readers. It may not be the Great American Novel (I guess Huck Finn would get the most votes on that score), but it's inner circle and top-tier. Only Huck may have a more distinctive first-person voice in its narration. And Catcher's too comes across as thoroughly authentic. Too, actually, in some ways, it's superior to Huck. Twain, as he notes up front, based his dialect(s) on what he had actually heard. Now, of course, Salinger had to integrate all that in a cohesive whole, no small linguistic task. But, Salinger in Catcher created a completely believable vernacular whole cloth. That's worth something. A great deal, I'd say.
   85. McCoy Posted: January 05, 2019 at 09:01 AM (#5802629)
Catcher might or might not be a great book but I did not enjoy the character or the story. Unlike apparently some who have spent years trying to convince the works the book isn't a big deal I've just largely ignored the book.
   86. Greg K Posted: January 06, 2019 at 09:40 AM (#5802748)
Catcher might or might not be a great book but I did not enjoy the character or the story. Unlike apparently some who have spent years trying to convince the works the book isn't a big deal I've just largely ignored the book.

By saying you've ignored the book you're no longer ignoring it!

The only proper stance on The Catcher in the Rye is the one I've adopted.
   87. ckash Posted: January 06, 2019 at 10:04 AM (#5802750)
Any Broadway fans here? Took my daughter to see "Concert With The Stars" in Lexington last night, which features the AA equivalent of up and coming Broadway talent that doesn't mind spending a winter's night in Central Kentucky. All but one had performed in touring shows here before on their way up to Broadway. Good god the talent these people have (and they aren't household names) is astounding. If you're in a fantasy Broadway league keep your eye on Soleil Pfeiffer and Eloise Kropp ( aka the next Kristin Chenowith).
   88. McCoy Posted: January 06, 2019 at 10:39 AM (#5802752)
I said I'm largely ignoring it. Not completely ignoring it. The times I've thought about catcher can be counted on one hand.
   89. Swoboda is freedom Posted: January 06, 2019 at 01:46 PM (#5802793)
My daughter is in high school and read Catcher in the Rye last year. She did not really like it. I r-read part of it, for the first time in 30 years. The writing is very good but nothing really develops and Holden is not that great a character.
   90. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: January 06, 2019 at 03:51 PM (#5802836)
I just got back from seeing Smallfoot for a fifth time.

It's so, so good. My favorite movie of 2018.
   91. Lassus Posted: January 06, 2019 at 03:55 PM (#5802839)
My daughter is in high school and read Catcher in the Rye last year. She did not really like it.

Upon reflection I did not have when I read it, it is rather a boy's book.
   92. Lassus Posted: January 06, 2019 at 03:59 PM (#5802842)
I did just get back from seeing Aquaman. It was astoundingly stupid, but (perhaps unlike it did Gonfalon) not in a way that irritated or angered me. Kind of gloriously stupid, actually. (I am kind of sorry they didn't give Momoa anything at all to work with, acting- or script-wise, I do think he actually has talent.)

93. Lassus Posted: January 06, 2019 at 04:06 PM (#5802844)
In other pop-culture 10-second critique news, upon a re-watch of GOT on HBO, think Dormer would have been better than Clarke in the Daenarys role; but she is damned good as Margaery Tyrell, so that's something.

Michael Huisman, the recast Daario, was possibly more disappointing upon a re-watch.
   94. McCoy Posted: January 06, 2019 at 04:16 PM (#5802848)
Re 91. I would have thought that was obvious.
   95. Lassus Posted: January 06, 2019 at 04:35 PM (#5802851)
To me, in 1985, it wasn't obvious. It simply didn't enter my head at all.
   96. Greg K Posted: January 06, 2019 at 07:52 PM (#5802911)
In other pop-culture 10-second critique news, upon a re-watch of GOT on HBO, think Dormer would have been better than Clarke in the Daenarys role; but she is damned good as Margaery Tyrell, so that's something.

I've really only seen Dormer as Margaery and Anne Boleyn. She was great as both, though I would think if you can do one, you've pretty much got the other down pat.

I think Clarke might be the weakest of the main actors. Clarke and Harington, really.
   97. PreservedFish Posted: January 06, 2019 at 08:16 PM (#5802927)
Regarding coming across celebrities, the small town I live in here is the home of one extremely minor celebrity: Wilco's bass player. Our kids attend the same elementary school and I often wait outside to pick up my kid as he's waiting to pick up his. I'd like to say hello and introduce myself, maybe chat a bit, but don't want to make it weird. I'm a fan of the band but not exactly a super fan (and I did recently refer to their later albums as "dad rock"). Not quite sure how to play it.
   98. McCoy Posted: January 06, 2019 at 08:22 PM (#5802930)
My wife's friend has a kid that is in the same class as Jay Z and Beyonce's kid and they see them all the time. I believe they have been to the house for birthday parties and such.
   99. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: January 06, 2019 at 09:03 PM (#5802939)
   100. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: January 06, 2019 at 09:34 PM (#5802942)
Regarding coming across celebrities, the small town I live in here is the home of one extremely minor celebrity: Wilco's bass player. Our kids attend the same elementary school and I often wait outside to pick up my kid as he's waiting to pick up his. I'd like to say hello and introduce myself, maybe chat a bit, but don't want to make it weird. I'm a fan of the band but not exactly a super fan (and I did recently refer to their later albums as "dad rock"). Not quite sure how to play it.
John Stirratt! I met him once at a barbecue here in Chicago. This was at least 15 years ago, but he was a completely normal guy at that point. Unless he's changed, I think you could just go say hi like you would with any other parent and it would be fine.
Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 > 

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
The Piehole of David Wells
for his generous support.