Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, January 01, 2019

OT - Catch-All Pop Culture Extravaganza (January 2019)

The 2018-19 TV season is at the midway point, so here’s our annual list of midseason premiere dates for new and returning series. It covers hundreds of broadcast, cable and streaming programs debuting from January 1 through early May and includes shows that were on hiatus.

Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: January 01, 2019 at 08:38 AM | 377 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: movies, music, off-topic, television, whatever else belongs under the rubric of 'popular culture'

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 4 pages  < 1 2 3 4 > 
   101. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: January 06, 2019 at 09:36 PM (#5802943)
Flip
   102. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: January 06, 2019 at 09:37 PM (#5802944)
PF, see previous page for a post about John Stirratt.
   103. PreservedFish Posted: January 06, 2019 at 10:23 PM (#5802957)
John Stirratt! I met him once at a barbecue here in Chicago. This was at least 15 years ago, but he was a completely normal guy at that point. Unless he's changed, I think you could just go say hi like you would with any other parent and it would be fine.

I'm sure it would be fine the first time, but then I'll keep seeing him, and I'll either need to do a superficial "hi" every time or begin ignoring him.
   104. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: January 06, 2019 at 11:40 PM (#5802971)
Or maybe you become best friends, and you have Wilco come and play an acoustic set at your house for all the other dads. It's like the ultimate dad-rock fantasy.
   105. PreservedFish Posted: January 07, 2019 at 07:39 AM (#5802999)
Yeah, I want to become buddies, get invited to his BBQs and such. Maybe i can jam with him, with the ~10 ukulele chords that I know.
   106. Lassus Posted: January 07, 2019 at 07:45 AM (#5803000)
I think Clarke might be the weakest of the main actors. Clarke and Harington, really.

I think Harington has done well as Jon Snow, he's believable - moreso than Clarke, I guess, to me. He might suck in everything else, true.

I haven't been all that impressed with Richard Madden, to be honest, I watched him in Medici and thought he was bad. He's gotten awards from someone for BBC's Bodyguard, which I haven't watched, but maybe he's good there.

107. Greg K Posted: January 07, 2019 at 09:38 AM (#5803011)
I haven't been all that impressed with Richard Madden, to be honest, I watched him in Medici and thought he was bad. He's gotten awards from someone for BBC's Bodyguard, which I haven't watched, but maybe he's good there.

It was an interesting show, and Madden is perfectly ok in it, but I'm not sure it's all that noteworthy in the pantheon of British politics/intrigue mini-series.

Come to think of it Sophie Turner isn't exactly a breakout star either.

I guess Harington's a bit lucky in that Jon Snow isn't a terribly challenging role, so long as you got the brooding down.
   108. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: January 07, 2019 at 10:29 AM (#5803031)
Stephen Dillane is the One True King of Westeros and no amount of terrible writing will change that.
   109. Lassus Posted: January 07, 2019 at 10:34 AM (#5803034)
He was great as Churchill's portrait artist in "The Crown".

Come to think of it Sophie Turner isn't exactly a breakout star either.

I wished I liked her better as Jean Grey, but I don't. Pretty meh.

110. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: January 07, 2019 at 10:48 AM (#5803047)
Maybe i can jam with him, with the ~10 ukulele chords that I know.
"I gave my love a cherry..."
   111. McCoy Posted: January 07, 2019 at 10:58 AM (#5803053)
Most if not all of the actors that played the young generation of characters in GoT are/were terrible or played one dimensional not challenging characters. Joffrey was the best of the lot and that character is probably the easiest of the lot to play. Margaery Tyrell was probably the second best but a)the show had to pretty much create her entire storyline and lines and b)was pretty close to a zero for a long time in the show.
   112. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: January 07, 2019 at 11:51 AM (#5803080)
How about an OTGoT thread?
   113. Lassus Posted: January 07, 2019 at 12:00 PM (#5803084)
No. Haters can suck it, it's the definition of pop culture.
   114. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: January 07, 2019 at 12:04 PM (#5803090)
Can't wait to see how badly they crap up the new season. That last season was a real stinker, just one stupid plothole after another. See Jaime and Bron swim a quarter-mile underwater in full armor!
   115. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: January 07, 2019 at 12:05 PM (#5803093)
So the Golden Globes awarded the Best Picture to Bohemian Rhapsody last night, which was somewhat surprising because

A) It received mediocre reviews, and
B) It was directed by a known child rapist.

But. Game recognize game, I guess.
   116. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: January 07, 2019 at 12:21 PM (#5803103)
No. Haters can suck it, it's the definition of pop culture.
I'm not saying it doesn't fit within pop culture. Of course it does. It just tends to dominate this thread fairly often. It's a practical proposal, not a philosophical one.
   117. Greg K Posted: January 07, 2019 at 12:35 PM (#5803111)
Most if not all of the actors that played the young generation of characters in GoT are/were terrible or played one dimensional not challenging characters. Joffrey was the best of the lot and that character is probably the easiest of the lot to play. Margaery Tyrell was probably the second best but a)the show had to pretty much create her entire storyline and lines and b)was pretty close to a zero for a long time in the show.

I'd say Maisie Williams deserves some credit here too. She has the advantage of playing one of the more lovable characters in the show, but I'd say she's one of the younger actors that actively makes the show better.
   118. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: January 07, 2019 at 12:54 PM (#5803122)
I'd say Maisie Williams deserves some credit here too.

That's true, her character has certainly suffered from terrible writing in recent seasons too. "I gotta skip town before I get killed, lemme go down to the main port in broad daylight and throw lots of money around!"

*stabbed by assassin*

"Oh golly, better jump in this sewage-filled canal with a bunch of gut stabs, nothing to worry about there, I know an actress who can sew."
   119. vortex of dissipation Posted: January 07, 2019 at 12:55 PM (#5803123)
I'd say Maisie Williams deserves some credit here too. She has the advantage of playing one of the more lovable characters in the show, but I'd say she's one of the younger actors that actively makes the show better.

I loved her character in "Doctor Who". I realize it could never happen because Williams and Jenna Coleman have other commitments, but a spinoff series that follows the adventures of Clara and Ashildr galivanting around the universe in their own TARDIS, as seen when both were written out of the show, is something I'd definitely watch.
   120. Lassus Posted: January 07, 2019 at 01:29 PM (#5803138)
That last season was a real stinker, just one stupid plothole after another.

We've watched a recent GOT HBO2 or whatever marathon (they seem to be doing the same with Sopranos, which, jeebus, was a long time ago now), and the penultimate season (so far) is generally all kinds of awesome. We actually skipped the most recent one.

Can't wait to see how badly they crap up the new season.

I think they were legitimately burned out going into the writing and planning of the most recent season, and they were also fucked by Martin. It might not be any better, but I think the break and ending will re-energize them for the finale. Maybe.

121. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: January 07, 2019 at 01:36 PM (#5803142)
"Let's put all our key characters on a trek to the other end of the continent to retrieve a zombie!"

"Hmmm, sounds dangerous."

"Yeah you're right, let me throw in three other characters without names so we can have people die."

"Good idea. We're still going with sending that one character to run for 100 miles in a blizzard to get help though, right?"
   122. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: January 07, 2019 at 01:45 PM (#5803146)
a spinoff series that follows the adventures of Clara and Ashildr galivanting around the universe in their own TARDIS, as seen when both were written out of the show, is something I'd definitely watch.
Me too. Is that enough for a pilot?
   123. Lassus Posted: January 07, 2019 at 01:48 PM (#5803151)
re: #115

B.) Singer is certainly a total scumbag sexual harasser at best and a rapist at worst who will certainly deserve worse than what happens to him. But, the Hollywood Foreign Press is full of foreign press, and they see a lot of America as rather puritan on issues involving sex. Pretty sure he is currently only accused and thus not actually seen as a known child rapist by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association.

A.) As far as the reviews, well, Speed Racer didn't exactly tear it up either.
   124. Lassus Posted: January 07, 2019 at 01:54 PM (#5803154)
Me too. Is that enough for a pilot?

Jenna Coleman has been enough of a hit during the recent series of Victoria that I'd be curious if she'd be willing to come back and do this.
   125. vortex of dissipation Posted: January 07, 2019 at 02:28 PM (#5803167)
Me too.

I got that. Well done.
   126. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: January 07, 2019 at 08:18 PM (#5803270)
   127. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: January 07, 2019 at 08:19 PM (#5803271)
   128. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: January 08, 2019 at 12:09 PM (#5803426)
25 Movies To Look Forward To In 2019

* Ad Astra (May 24)
What It Is: Another auteurist piece of sci-fi, this time from the great, meditative master James Gray (We Own the Night, The Lost City of Z). Brad Pitt plays an Army engineer traveling to Neptune in search of his father (Tommy Lee Jones), who disappeared on a mission decades prior. Ruth Negga, Donald Sutherland, and Jamie Kennedy round out the cast.

If You Need Convincing: Details on Ad Astra remain scarce, but it’s by far Gray’s biggest production ever, with Pitt using his box-office clout to help the director secure a $50 million budget. It’ll be exciting to see Gray try to match the staggering ambition of The Lost City of Z.

* Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (July 26)
What It Is: Summer 2019’s think-piece nexus. It’s a film set around the time of the 1969 Manson murders, directed by Quentin Tarantino, in which Roman Polanski, Sharon Tate, Steve McQueen, and, well, Charles Manson feature as supporting characters. Bound to cause a bit of a stir.

If You Need Convincing: Leonardo DiCaprio, who hasn’t been in a movie since 2015’s The Revenant, plays the lead role of a fading actor who failed to transition from television to movies. Brad Pitt plays his close friend and longtime stunt double. Margot Robbie plays Sharon Tate. The rest of the cast features names like Damian Lewis, Al Pacino, Lena Dunham, and Bruce Dern.

* Star Wars: Episode IX (December 20)
What It Is: J. J. Abrams directs the ninth entry in the Star Wars series, a popular series of films about wars in stars. All else, including a title, is shrouded in secrecy, though the late Carrie Fisher will be somehow involved (via scenes shot for prior films that ended up on the cutting-room floor).

If You Need Convincing: If you’re not on board nine episodes in, this might not be the franchise for you.
   129. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: January 08, 2019 at 12:11 PM (#5803428)
If You Need Convincing: If you’re not on board nine episodes in, this might not be the franchise for you.

The should have stopped after the first 3.
   130. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: January 08, 2019 at 12:22 PM (#5803436)
Indeed. It hasn’t been the same since they got rid of Jar Jar.
   131. Lassus Posted: January 08, 2019 at 12:40 PM (#5803444)
There's a fascinating article floating around out there recently about the actor who played Jar Jar and what he went through due to the backlash against the character.
   132. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: January 08, 2019 at 12:45 PM (#5803448)
It's sad really, Jar Jar was my favorite fictional character since Stepin Fetchit.
   133. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: January 08, 2019 at 04:26 PM (#5803526)
On Saturday morning, our Twin Cities offshoot of the Alamo Drafthouse is showing M Night Shyamalan’s Eastrail 177 Trilogy (Unbreakable/Split/Glass), and I WILL BE THERE.
   134. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: January 09, 2019 at 12:29 PM (#5803703)
Letterboxd sent me a “Year in Review” email, showing various Letterboxd stats.

* My most-watched director in 2018 was Lars Von Trier. Okay.
* My most-watched actor in 2018 was......Anthony Daniels!
   135. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: January 09, 2019 at 12:32 PM (#5803706)
There's a fascinating article floating around out there recently about the actor who played Jar Jar and what he went through due to the backlash against the character.

What's fascinating is that nobody realized how racist it was during the filming. WTF puts Stepin Fetchit on the screen in the year 2000?
   136. Fernigal McGunnigle Posted: January 09, 2019 at 01:34 PM (#5803755)
My guess is that Jar Jar is a microcosm of everything that was wrong with the prequels, namely that there was no one that Lucas would listen to who had both a modicum of film-making sense and the guts to tell him when he was being stupid or hacky or otherwise horrible.
   137. Fernigal McGunnigle Posted: January 09, 2019 at 01:39 PM (#5803759)
When Lucas got married in 2013 he had a sort of second wedding reception in Chicago. He hired Prince to play. (Prince brought a 22-person band with him.)

It is 2013 and you have infinity dollars. Who do you hire to play your wedding reception? The correct answer to this question is "Prince". So Lucas got at least one thing right.
   138. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: January 09, 2019 at 02:02 PM (#5803769)
135- The Neimodians are racist stereotypes in Episode 1 too (“Is it reeeegulll?”)

I think the Prequels are pretty good movies, so perhaps I’m seeing what I want to see, but my take has been that Lucas is showing us how the Jedi perceive the Neimodians and Gungans: as simple, childlike races whose interests can be totally disregarded in lieu of whatever is best for the Republic. (Which, of course, is exactly what happens in The Phantom Menace.)

IOW: To make American audiences recognize the Jedi’s racist condescension, he makes Jar Jar a Stepin Fetchit and Nute Gunray a Mr Yunioshi.

YMMV
   139. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: January 09, 2019 at 02:08 PM (#5803775)
Jar Jar Binks? Racist! How insulting to the black man!
Neimodians? Racist! How dare they offend Asians with this stereotype!

Watto the big-nosed space-Semite whose mind can only be beguiled by money? Meh.
   140. BrianBrianson Posted: January 09, 2019 at 02:15 PM (#5803777)
Yeah, Lucas had gumption at times, but chickening out on the Darth Jar Jar reveal really ruined Star Wars for me.
   141. Hysterical & Useless Posted: January 09, 2019 at 02:54 PM (#5803799)
The rest of the cast features names like Damian Lewis, Al Pacino, Lena Dunham, and Bruce Dern.

ie, Damien Louis, Al Pachino, Leena Dunhem, Bryce Darn...they're a lot like those others!
   142. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: January 10, 2019 at 10:09 PM (#5804401)
“Schopenhauer, de Quincy, Stevenson, Mauthner, Shaw, Chesteron, Léon Bloy – this is the heterogeneous list of authors I am continually re-reading.” -Jorge Luis Borges

Not too proud to admit I had to go to Wikipedia to learn many of their first names.
   143. Lassus Posted: January 10, 2019 at 10:52 PM (#5804403)
Watto the big-nosed space-Semite whose mind can only be beguiled by money? Meh.

I don't know WhereTF you were, but this was a common complaint. Maybe you were getting punched in the head too often that year.
   144. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: January 11, 2019 at 04:53 PM (#5804797)
I am awarding my Oscars this year thusly

Best Picture: Smallfoot
Best Actor: Matt Dillon in The House That Jack Built
Best Actress: Helena Howard in Madeline’s Madeline
Best Supporting Actor: Hugh Grant in Paddington 2
Best Supporting Actress: Junglepussy in Support the Girls
Best Dinosaurs: Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
Best Director: Josephine Decker for Madeline’s Madeline
Best Original Screenplay: Boots Riley (probably) for Sorry to Bother You
Best Adapted Screenplay: Smallfoot, from some children’s book
Best Original Song: “Percy’s Pressure” by James Corden in Smallfoot
Best score: Annihilation for that Ben Frost ####
   145. The Yankee Clapper Posted: January 11, 2019 at 08:22 PM (#5804854)
Marion Wormer, horny spouse of tyrannical educational bureaucrat Dean Wormer, has lost her earthly tenure battle.
   146. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: January 12, 2019 at 07:46 PM (#5804965)
Sad to report that Glass ends M. Night Shyamalan’s Eastrail 177 Trilogy with a whimper, not a bang. Oh well, the first two are so great, it was still a fun afternoon. And his Q&A included a fun anecdote: a Disney exec telling M Night they weren’t gonna market Unbreakable as a comic book movie because “the only people who will see it are the nerds who go to conventions.”
   147. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: January 13, 2019 at 07:06 PM (#5805127)
Armond White’s 14th Annual “Better-Than” List
It was the most politicized movie year since World War II. Hollywood confused propaganda with entertainment, and filmgoers were offered little choice between indoctrination and discovery.

The only great films were the re-releases of Visconti’s 1973 Ludwig and Cocteau’s 1949 Les Parents Terribles, beacons from a more stable past. The Visconti was visually lavish and psychologically penetrating, an empathic look at the Bavarian King whose personal aspirations contrasted the political dictates of his social position — a surprisingly timely epic about private ethics. The Cocteau, an ingenious domestic farce, traced the young generation’s foundering to the selfish folly of its immediate forebears — a surprisingly timely, intimate epic about the two-way moral responsibility of family and society that’s been lost. No way Netflix or Amazon will ever finance comparable achievements. As long as movie history survives, cinema is not yet extinct.

So that leaves this year’s Better-Than List to highlight our moral and political gains and losses by juxtaposing some of 2018’s few good films with ballyhooed atrocities that betray what Visconti and Cocteau knew audiences desperately needed from the art and pleasure of the movies.
   148. McCoy Posted: January 14, 2019 at 10:27 AM (#5805244)
Unbreakable was not a good movie. Split was a good movie but like all M. Night films I worry that the goodness goes away on repeat viewings. Even Sixth Sense for me was largely unwatchable for years and years. I finally caught it on TV a few months back and watched it again without being bored for the first time since I saw the movie in the theater.

I was sad to hear from a lot of sites that Glass was not a good movie. After Split I was hoping that M. Night was back to making decent films.
   149. BrianBrianson Posted: January 14, 2019 at 10:44 AM (#5805251)
Maybe I should re-watch it, but I thought the Ballad of Buster Scruggs was a good bit of fun, very well done.

Ready Player One had enormous potential, but seriously lazy writing and execution that made it entirely forgettable. Black Panther had some nice bits, but the lousy CGI boss battle that was unconnected to the plot really meant you walk out feeling let down. I haven't seen the Crazy Rich Asians movie, but the book was just stuff that happens, with product placement. I did not get it at all.

I haven't seen any of the other movies on the list, so I can't say much about the comparisons.
   150. Baldrick Posted: January 14, 2019 at 11:28 AM (#5805278)
Armond White’s 14th Annual “Better-Than” List

Going back to some previous conversations, this is a great example of what I meant by bad criticism.

Am I convinced that all of the individual takes in that column are incorrect? Nope. Haven't seen any of the movies so certainly can't judge them one way or the other. But it is an incredibly unpersuasive case.
   151. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: January 14, 2019 at 11:34 AM (#5805285)
Hollywood confused propaganda with entertainment, and filmgoers were offered little choice between indoctrination and discovery.
This is where you can stop reading. Turns out, it's the first sentence.
   152. Zonk Sits on the Stool next to Slats Steely Posted: January 14, 2019 at 11:38 AM (#5805290)
I saw The Death of Stalin over the holidays -- probably the first new(ish - < 2 years old) movie I've seen that I really, truly enjoyed in several years.
   153. Lassus Posted: January 14, 2019 at 11:42 AM (#5805293)
You really could have stopped at "Armond" in the byline.

I feel like I read a lot of mixed reviews when Death of Stalin came out, yet I've been hearing more and more positive takes on it as time goes on.
   154. BrianBrianson Posted: January 14, 2019 at 11:48 AM (#5805300)
Oh, yeah, it's an obviously very unpersuasive case. But I don't want to assert it's right or wrong just because the author has an ideology.

And really, the movies I could assess, it wouldn't surprise me if they could dreg up some other movie that was better. So, maybe it's right? I dunno. I was a little surprised the Coen brothers got slagged like that - I also figured their movies would hit that spot where ideologues of many ideologies would like them. Like, where it's easy to read your ideology into them.
   155. McCoy Posted: January 14, 2019 at 11:54 AM (#5805305)
I would be one of the reviews on the other side that would lead to mixed reviews. I found the trailers to be much more entertaining than the actual movie.
   156. stig-tossled, hornswoggled gef the typing mongoose Posted: January 14, 2019 at 11:54 AM (#5805306)

I feel like I read a lot of mixed reviews when Death of Stalin came out, yet I've been hearing more and more positive takes on it as time goes on.

I'm not much for comedies, as I've noted many times, but I enjoyed it.
   157. jmurph Posted: January 14, 2019 at 11:59 AM (#5805312)
I enjoyed Death of Stalin, too.
   158. Master of the Horse Posted: January 14, 2019 at 12:02 PM (#5805314)
KIND OF A SPOILER ON BEALE STREET MOVIE: Saw Beale St in the theater and was interested in how there were multiple shocked reactions to the domestic violence moment and the movie dropping n's several times. Several people walked out for each situation. Anyone else have that happen??
   159. Yonder Alonso in misguided trousers (cardinal) Posted: January 14, 2019 at 12:12 PM (#5805316)
Armond White is known to be a contrarian, to the point where if a movie is generally well-reviewed elsewhere, he's almost guaranteed to hate it, and vice versa.

Anyway, I just watched The Death Of Stalin a few weeks ago, and enjoyed it.
   160. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: January 14, 2019 at 12:22 PM (#5805321)
if a movie is generally well-reviewed elsewhere, he's almost guaranteed to hate it, and vice versa.
Generally well-reviewed movies hate him?
   161. Yonder Alonso in misguided trousers (cardinal) Posted: January 14, 2019 at 12:24 PM (#5805323)
...probably?

No, but seriously, if something is trashed universally he'll usually praise it to the heavens in his review.
   162. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: January 14, 2019 at 12:29 PM (#5805327)
158- I’ve been seeing reports of cheers and laughter during one of the scenes of domestic violence in Beale Street (in like an “Well it’s about time!/She had it coming!” sense), which.....
   163. Lassus Posted: January 14, 2019 at 12:41 PM (#5805339)
158- I’ve been seeing reports of cheers and laughter during one of the scenes of domestic violence in Beale Street (in like an “Well it’s about time!/She had it coming!” sense), which.....

About... three or four years after Princess Bride came out, a large group was watching the movie in the lounge of a dorm, and at the "I want my father back, you son of a bitch" death, the whole room erupted into cheers. I wasn't shocked, as I understood why, but I was still a bit surprised and I admit kind of disappointed. Full of the idealism of youth, I found the mob reaction pretty depressing, as I had always found that moment incredibly mournful rather than celebratory.
   164. McCoy Posted: January 14, 2019 at 12:51 PM (#5805353)
I believe a room full of us stood up and cheered when Rebecca DeMornay's character got what was coming to her in The Hand That Rocked The Cradle. That was about the only time I've witnessed cheering.
   165. McCoy Posted: January 14, 2019 at 12:56 PM (#5805359)
I feel like RGIII had what would be considered a successful career if Washington hadn't been so stupid in the draft.
   166. BrianBrianson Posted: January 14, 2019 at 01:22 PM (#5805378)
When Return of the King came out, I bought a special ticket that showed The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, then started Return of the King at midnight.

You best believe everyone clapped at the title card.
   167. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: January 14, 2019 at 01:40 PM (#5805387)
   168. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: January 14, 2019 at 01:50 PM (#5805391)
I just learned that the new Safdie Brothers movie will star Adam Sandler.

I am FREAKING OUT!!!!!
   169. Lassus Posted: January 14, 2019 at 01:56 PM (#5805392)
When Return of the King came out, I bought a special ticket that showed The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, then started Return of the King at midnight.
You best believe everyone clapped at the title card.

When we went to go see Return of the King it was at a rather rowdy theater with a lot of teenagers, a lot of shouting during the trailers, and I was incredibly concerned that I was about to sit through a nightmare of a (what I considered important) viewing experience. When the film started, my concern was heightened as there was still noise for a minute or so at the start, possibly but slowly tapering off.

When Smeagol finished strangling Deagol, the entire packed rowdy theater was silent as a tomb. A powerful meta moment.
   170. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: January 14, 2019 at 02:45 PM (#5805404)
Death of Stalin was pretty well reviewed. 88 on Metacritic, which is roughly Oscar Nominee level. I personally loved it, but then I love Iannucci going back to The Thick of It and had been eagerly anticipating Death of Stalin since I first heard of it.

Right now I'm jonesing to see The Favourite, The Lobster is one of my favorite movies of the last half decade and this looks fantastic. The problem is that I don't see it showing within 30 minutes of where I live, and so I'm probably going to have to wait until it's streaming as I make my mad dash to catch up with the various and sundry Oscar nominees.

171. Lassus Posted: January 14, 2019 at 03:19 PM (#5805418)
Right now I'm jonesing to see The Favourite

Really enjoyed it. A powerhouse of craft.
   172. Fernigal McGunnigle Posted: January 14, 2019 at 03:23 PM (#5805421)
I've seen cheering in movies a lot of times. I went to one of those RotK release shows (they showed the extended versions of the first two movies, so it was ~10.5 hours of movies, plus 2 or 3 hours of breaks in between) where there was a lot of cheering at various points. Later that year there was some sort of ironic cheering at the third Star Wars prequel when Ewan McGregor chucked Hayden Christensen into the lava. Around the same time I was at an anniversary showing of Return of the Secaucus Seven with John Sayles and some random cast members in attendance. There was a fair amount of clapping in that one.

When I saw Raiders of the Lost Ark at Doc Films at the U of Chicago there was a lot of cheering when we discover that Indiana Jones learned his trade at the University of Chicago. (The Oriental Institute certainly seems like the sort of place that would've trained Indy.) When I saw the Great Dictator at Doc in February 2017, Chaplin got a huge ovation after his big speech about how we need to be nice to one another and stand up to dictators. There was also a fair amount of clapping at the end of various other films at Doc, but that's not really the same thing.

I saw a couple of Chaplin movies in the square in front of the cathedral in in Bologna (the picture at the top of this page shows an example) that featured a fair amount of cheering, but it was an unusual setting with the city orchestra playing along.

EDIT: I've also seen cheering in a couple of showings of It's a Wonderful Life. Another time that sticks out was the cheering in To Have and Have Not (shown on an art museum lawn) when Bacall says, "You know how to whistle, don't you? You just put your lips together and blow."
   173. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: January 14, 2019 at 03:25 PM (#5805422)
Smeagol finished strangling Deagol
How about a spoiler alert, jerk? ;)
   174. Hysterical & Useless Posted: January 14, 2019 at 03:31 PM (#5805427)
Saw The Favourite last Friday. Lot of fun. Interesting the way your sympathies may shift during the course of the story. And they got some real heavyweights to work on the music.
   175. Lassus Posted: January 14, 2019 at 04:36 PM (#5805465)
When I saw Raiders of the Lost Ark at Doc Films at the U of Chicago

When I saw it in the theater, the sword/gun scene elicited spontaneous applause.
   176. Hot Wheeling American, MS-13 Enthusiast Posted: January 14, 2019 at 04:45 PM (#5805469)
Right now I'm jonesing to see The Favourite, The Lobster is one of my favorite movies of the last half decade and this looks fantastic. The problem is that I don't see it showing within 30 minutes of where I live, and so I'm probably going to have to wait until it's streaming as I make my mad dash to catch up with the various and sundry Oscar nominees.

Loved The Favourite, but...did not enjoy The Lobster. I would think once its Oscar nom haul is official, they'll bump up the theater count.

Finally got to see Widows the other day. Maybe my fav of 2018? And Paddington 2 meets the hype. Near perfect.
   177. Tin Angel Posted: January 14, 2019 at 04:51 PM (#5805471)
I liked The Favourite a lot, though not as much as The Lobster. I watched The House That Jack Built last night, which was just dreadful. Much like Nymphomaniac it seems like von Trier is trying to shock but it just comes off as being entirely empty and pointless.
   178. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: January 14, 2019 at 05:30 PM (#5805480)
Different kind of audience reaction: I saw Platoon on opening weekend. There was dead silence during the end credits, and I don't think a single person left before the last credit rolled, or spoke until they'd left the theater.

The next week I saw (at the same theater!) Rocky Horror Picture Show. The atmosphere was... different.
   179. Howie Menckel Posted: January 14, 2019 at 07:15 PM (#5805491)
Different kind of audience reaction: I saw Platoon on opening weekend. There was dead silence during the end credits, and I don't think a single person left before the last credit rolled, or spoke until they'd left the theater.

I saw Field of Dreams on opening night.

as the lights went up, all around I could hear women quietly saying things on the way out like, "well, that was a nice movie" while their dates - me included - well, the theater was too damn dusty to respond right away.
   180. Rennie's Tenet Posted: January 14, 2019 at 07:21 PM (#5805492)
When the nuns intervene near the end of Sound of Music, a theater audience will go nuts.
   181. McCoy Posted: January 14, 2019 at 08:03 PM (#5805499)
Saw Venom today. Took awhile to get going and of course it is completely nonsensical but it was rather fun. Michelle Williams was absolutely atrocious in it, no chemistry with anyone in the movie, completely wooden, and appeared to be either phoning it in or completely stoned.
   182. Lassus Posted: January 14, 2019 at 09:56 PM (#5805531)
I've hated that stupid thing since Secret Wars #8.
   183. Cowboy Popup Posted: January 14, 2019 at 10:35 PM (#5805538)
Yeah, Lucas had gumption at times, but chickening out on the Darth Jar Jar reveal really ruined Star Wars for me.

Yup. I'm borderline convinced at this point that this was his original plan (I mean, it could NOT have been Count ####### Dooku) and he just didn't have the nerve to see it through. It sure would have made for a more cohesive narrative. Whoever put that Reddit theory together is awfully clever.

Add me to the list of people who liked The Death of Stalin. It brims with silly energy for like 88 minutes, punctuated by many, many moments of extreme brutality. I thought it was a pretty good riff on autocratic government in transition.
   184. Fred Lynn Nolan Ryan Sweeney Agonistes Posted: January 14, 2019 at 11:56 PM (#5805548)
I've seen cheering in movies a lot of times.

Sure, same. We've seen Singin' in the Rain in the theater a bunch of times, and at least one number (at least Make 'em Laugh) always gets a hand.
I mean, it's the Castro Theatre in San Francisco, people clap when Edith Head shows up in the credits, but still.

and from the last page -
52 Directors Pick Their Favorite Movies of 2018

Robert Greene (“Bisbee ’17,” “Kate Plays Christine,” “Actress” )

This is Amazing GF's cousin, and his smalltime pro wrestling documentary "Fake It So Real" is sweet and observant, absolutely recommended.
   185. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: January 15, 2019 at 12:17 AM (#5805554)
184- No way! I'm a huge huge fan of his Kati With an I too.
   186. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: January 15, 2019 at 05:02 AM (#5805561)
More Phantom Menace than anyone could ever want:

Blast Points Phantom Menace Year Begins with us taking a look at the strange and fascinating early screenplay draft of TPM, The Beginning! The saga of the “Warka” family begins, there’s almost no Qui Gon, and an original trilogy character shockingly “dies” in the end. From a certain point of view…. It’s a real wild ride that could have resulted in a vastly different Episode 1! Tune in as we look at the characters, plots and weird decisions that almost happened! Have aspects from this draft have appeared in the sequel trilogy? It sure seems like it!!

Blast Points Podcast
   187. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: January 15, 2019 at 09:08 AM (#5805582)
Steven Spielberg’s ‘West Side Story’ Finds Its Maria, Anita, Bernardo & Chino

After auditioning more than 30K people from around the world, Steven Spielberg’s West Side Story has found its Maria in fresh face 17-year old New Jersey High School student Rachel Zegler who will make her film debut opposite Ansel Elgort as Tony.

Also, Rita Moreno will play Doc. Yep, they’re gender-swapping.
   188. Crispix Attacksel Rios Posted: January 15, 2019 at 09:31 AM (#5805587)
After years without TCM I now have Hulu which has a less convenient version of TCM. Most recently watched a once very famous movie that I had never heard of before, "A Letter to Three Wives". Really great film. It's a story that sounds like a melodrama but instead it was very comedic. I now feel familiar with some actors I didn't recognize before (Linda Darnell, Paul Douglas, Jeanne Crain).
   189. Lassus Posted: January 15, 2019 at 09:40 AM (#5805594)
Also, Rita Moreno will play Doc. Yep, they’re gender-swapping.

I have no issues with swapping or alterations to the story, which is an oft-told universal tale. My MAIN concern is that not enough attention will be paid to the dancing.

I guess I'm also concerned that Spielberg is boring.
   190. stig-tossled, hornswoggled gef the typing mongoose Posted: January 15, 2019 at 10:21 AM (#5805615)
actors I didn't recognize before (Linda Darnell, Paul Douglas, Jeanne Crain).

Probably best-known for a couple of baseball comedies -- It Happens Every Spring & Angels in the Outfield. Was a highly regarded sports announcer before becoming an actor in middle age. (I know him mainly from the '56 sf film The Gamma People.)
   191. McCoy Posted: January 15, 2019 at 11:02 AM (#5805636)
Very famous? Do very famous movies disappear like that? What others one have?
   192. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: January 15, 2019 at 11:46 AM (#5805664)
   193. Crispix Attacksel Rios Posted: January 15, 2019 at 12:00 PM (#5805674)
I mean it was nominated for Best Picture and won for Best Director and Best Screenplay, it was adapted from a very popular book, it had several stars in it...it wasn't the biggest hit of the year or anything. So it's forgotten 70 years later, no big deal. People barely watch "Moonstruck" and "The Last Emperor" from only 30 years ago.
   194. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: January 15, 2019 at 12:03 PM (#5805676)
piling on, armond white is THE contrarian film reviewer. i make no time for him.
having said that, here's my contrarian take..................

i didn't like field of dreams. well made, but schmaltzy as hell and no thanks.
   195. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: January 15, 2019 at 12:10 PM (#5805679)
There was a whole thread about Field of Dreams here a while back, and you were far from the only one with that take. Several posters took it further in saying that it wasn't even well made.
   196. McCoy Posted: January 15, 2019 at 12:23 PM (#5805690)
Saw The Sisters Brothers as well last night. It was interesting. Don't think it was great or timeless or if it would be one of those films you could end up watching by flipping channels but it was interesting enough the first time through. The only really confounding thing was the element of fantasy they chose to throw in there with the chemical concoction that reveals gold and I would guess that was in the book.
   197. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: January 15, 2019 at 12:27 PM (#5805691)
In a perfect world, “John C Reilly and Joaquin Phoenix and Jake Gyllenhaal and Riz Ahmed play magical old-timey cowboys” would be the top-grossing movie in history.
   198. Zonk Sits on the Stool next to Slats Steely Posted: January 15, 2019 at 12:37 PM (#5805697)
Weirdest movie cheering I ever saw was in Independence Day... The speech from whatever Bill P (Paxton? Pullman? Does it matter? Does anyone even know the difference?).
   199. McCoy Posted: January 15, 2019 at 12:40 PM (#5805699)
The one that is alive probably can tell the difference.
   200. Davo cant be eatin thirty hot dogs every day Posted: January 15, 2019 at 04:51 PM (#5805809)
flip
Page 2 of 4 pages  < 1 2 3 4 > 

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
greenback slays lewks
for his generous support.