Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, July 01, 2019

OT - Catch-All Pop Culture Extravaganza (July 2019)

No summer doldrums this month — not when there’s a Sundance breakout drama, a new Pagan horror movie from the guy who gave you Hereditary and Quentin Tarantino’s valentine to old-school Sixties Tinseltown on the horizon.

Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: July 01, 2019 at 03:56 AM | 685 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: movies, music, off-topic, television, whatever else belongs under the rubric of 'popular culture'

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 4 of 7 pages ‹ First  < 2 3 4 5 6 >  Last ›
   301. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: July 11, 2019 at 06:18 PM (#5861119)
To be clear, I obviously don’t believe studios actually just hand over $$$$ bags to critics in exchange for good reviews.

I do believe that critics are people, and thus subject to bias, and that the bias on a big Disney movie is in favor of Disney, of giving it a good review.

Think of it like referees in Madison Square Garden. They’re trying to call it close, but they hear the home crowd, they know what they want, it influences their judgment. (Also, critics are people with career ambitions, and they see that the way to get ahead is to not rock the boat—where “rocking the boat” is being too critical of Hollywood blockbusters.)

But the bigger picture stuff (Who the publications assign to review which movie, editorial oversight, the way RT aggregators interpret reviews (as in the ludicrous example in post 299)), I think a lot of that is actual active studio meddling. Can’t prove it beyond anecdotes from people in the industry, but that’s the sense I get.
   302. PreservedFish Posted: July 11, 2019 at 06:47 PM (#5861128)
"Not sure what's worse, the suspicion that [Davo says this #### to get a rise out of people], or the possibility that [he actually believes it]"

Honestly, it's not the ridiculous opinions, but the way they're presented. I think it's great to have quirky and passionate people here. It's less great when they're insufferable about it.
   303. PreservedFish Posted: July 11, 2019 at 06:53 PM (#5861130)
Anyway, the new Lion King currently has a "rotten" rating. Finding it difficult to muster much outrage over this particular capitalist conspiracy.
   304. It was something about the man-spider and sodomy, Posted: July 11, 2019 at 07:00 PM (#5861132)
"Not sure what's worse, the suspicion that [Davo says this #### to get a rise out of people], or the possibility that [he actually believes it]"

It can be two things!
   305. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: July 11, 2019 at 07:04 PM (#5861134)
Or it’s like the Chomsky quip: “I'm sure you believe everything you're saying; but what I'm saying is, if you believed something different, you wouldn't be sitting where you're sitting.”
   306. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: July 11, 2019 at 07:05 PM (#5861135)
Again, not a conspiracy, just basic human weaknesses and biases. Think refs getting swayed by a home crowd.
   307. Lassus Posted: July 11, 2019 at 07:08 PM (#5861136)
Sugar - Believe What You're Saying

Listened to this album yesterday, speaking of 1994.
   308. Lassus Posted: July 11, 2019 at 07:09 PM (#5861137)
Again, not a conspiracy, just basic human weaknesses and biases. Think refs getting swayed by a home crowd.

Except you seem to be ignoring that they aren't.
   309. PreservedFish Posted: July 11, 2019 at 07:12 PM (#5861139)
More to the point, he hasn't even seen the movie, so he has little ability to judge it. None of us can.

What's puzzling to me is why a fellow with tastes expansive enough to find room for both Speed Racer and Au Hasard Balthazar* in his personal pantheon (and to give fair shake to apparent drek like the Lion King's straight-to-video sequel) would be so goddam judgmental about a movie based on a clip he saw on twitter.

*Speaking, ahem, of inexpressive animals and limited color palettes.
   310. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: July 11, 2019 at 07:17 PM (#5861141)
I can read, though, and thus have the ability to judge the review in #299. As do you! You can just do it!
   311. PreservedFish Posted: July 11, 2019 at 07:22 PM (#5861143)
I agree that that review should have been awarded a green splat. Whether it's part of a nefarious pattern I cannot say.
   312. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: July 11, 2019 at 07:25 PM (#5861144)
So just arguing to argue, I guess? ‘Sall good, I have days like that too.
   313. PreservedFish Posted: July 11, 2019 at 07:28 PM (#5861145)
As far as rotten tomatoes goes, it's absolutely clear to me that critics (and people generally) have much lower standards when it comes to cartoons. With animation, suddenly we have very little concern for tonal consistency, embrace boring storytelling, we love slapstick humor, we tolerate both the fart jokes for kids and the frequently lame winks at adult humor for the parents...
   314. PreservedFish Posted: July 11, 2019 at 07:29 PM (#5861146)
Davo, #299 was one of like 10 comments you made on this movie.
   315. Lassus Posted: July 12, 2019 at 08:58 AM (#5861238)
Hey NYC elitists, I was thinking of trying to catch Coriolanus at Shakespeare in the Park the weekend of the softball game. I have never been - is the process of acquiring tickets as batshit and difficult as it appears?
   316. Hot Wheeling American Posted: July 12, 2019 at 09:10 AM (#5861247)
Ten year old info, but I can't imagine it's gotten any better - I was out of work the summer of 2009, so had plenty of time on my hands and looked into this. I recall needing to line up before midnight to be sure you'd secure tickets when awarded around noon the next day. I would have been ok waking up early and waiting for a few hours, but I drew a line at spending the entire night. Maybe they have a better system now, but anything cheap/free and popular in this city turns into a big PITA, so I'm skeptical.
   317. Lassus Posted: July 12, 2019 at 09:13 AM (#5861248)
Yeah, that's what I thought. I also fear from the little I've read that the modern staging of Coriolanus is simply going to be TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP, and I'm already living that, so...
   318. Swoboda is freedom Posted: July 12, 2019 at 09:37 AM (#5861260)
Sugar - Believe What You're Saying

Listened to this album yesterday, speaking of 1994.

I have been to 2 Bob Mould concerts. One with Husker Du and one with Sugar. They were among the worst concerts I have ever been to because of the volume. I actually moved to the back for Sugar and stuffed some kleenex in my ears as it was so loud. I don't know how the man has any hearing left. It made it impossible to enjoy.
   319. Lassus Posted: July 12, 2019 at 09:51 AM (#5861268)
I have been to 2 Bob Mould concerts. One with Husker Du and one with Sugar. They were among the worst concerts I have ever been to because of the volume. I actually moved to the back for Sugar and stuffed some kleenex in my ears as it was so loud. I don't know how the man has any hearing left. It made it impossible to enjoy.

It is one of my great regrets that I never saw Sugar play live (I mean, I was not cool enough to be going to Husker Du shows at 15 and Bob Mould solo in like 1999 or so). I can see the volume being an issue, however.
   320. Baldrick Posted: July 12, 2019 at 10:53 AM (#5861318)
All live music is too loud, and I hate it. That was true even when I was a teenager and it's only grown worse as my poor ears have aged.

Re: Davo, when someone has developed a sense of identity which hinges on hating the stuff that other people like, it's going to be frustrating to talk to them about things. I recommend not repeatedly bashing your head against that particular wall, but YMMV.
   321. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: July 12, 2019 at 11:27 AM (#5861334)
Never got to see Husker Du or Sugar, but I've seen Mould twice as well (more recently). I thought he did have significant hearing loss, and that's why he stopped touring for a while or only did acoustic shows or something. If that's true, the lesson didn't really take, as he was still really, really loud - and only marginally less so at City Winery than at Metro (which is an actual rock venue). Or maybe he's just so deaf now that he doesn't notice how loud he is.
   322. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: July 12, 2019 at 11:43 AM (#5861344)
   323. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: July 12, 2019 at 03:36 PM (#5861456)
‘Big Little Lies’ Season 2 Turmoil: Inside Andrea Arnold’s Loss of Creative Control

When the executive producers and HBO approached Andrea Arnold about directing the second season of “Big Little Lies,” the pitch was simple: They not only wanted the British filmmaker (“American Honey”) to direct the entire season, they wanted an Andrea Arnold version of the show and all that entailed. It wasn’t just lip service. From prep, through production, and into post-production, Arnold was to get free rein. But a significant part of HBO and showrunner David E. Kelley’s plan was not shared with Arnold.

According to a number of sources close to the production, there was a dramatic shift in late 2018 as the show was yanked away from Arnold, and creative control was handed over to executive producer and Season 1 director Jean-Marc Vallée. The goal was to unify the visual style of Season 1 and 2. In other words, after all the episodes had been shot, take Arnold’s work and make it look and feel like the familiar style Vallée brought to the hit first season

...Not only was Arnold given free rein, it was never explained to her that the expectation was her footage would be shaped by Vallée into the show’s distinctive style. Sources close to production and Vallée tell IndieWire that there was no style bible laying out the visual rules of the show, common for TV series looking to maintain consistency between different filmmaking teams. And Arnold was allowed to hire her own creative team, including switching the show’s cinematographers by bringing over Jim Frohna who she had worked with on Soloway’s series.

Even more remarkable, Vallée and Arnold never spoke, nor was there ever a clear showrunner or creative producer who Arnold was answerable to on set.

...It was as Arnold started to assemble scenes that Kelley and HBO started to see there was a problem. Before Arnold and her London editing team were able to even complete an official cut of an episode, Vallée, now finished with work on “Sharp Objects,” started to take over. Post-production shifted from London to Vallée’s home city of Montreal, where his own editorial team started cutting what is now airing on HBO.

I’m not that wild about Arnold’s work or anything (she’s fine), but
A) She’s a damn sight better than that hack Jean-Marc Vallée, but more importantly
B) Holy #### did HBO ratfuck her here.
   324. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: July 12, 2019 at 04:20 PM (#5861470)
@elbirdliara
I'm getting more and more furious thinking about the guy who did Dallas Buyers Club thinks he has the range to judge Andrea Arnold's work.

@iconicaesthetic
to make a show about complex and powerful women and then do THIS behind the scenes to the woman they supposedly put in charge of creating her own vision... the irony is pitiful
   325. Omineca Greg Posted: July 12, 2019 at 06:15 PM (#5861505)
I mean, I was not cool enough to be going to Husker Du shows at 15...

I've never really been down with the Dü, but I did see live them live in 1985...when I was 16. Happy memories for sure.

New York Theatre, punk rock venue on Commerical Drive in Vancouver.

It's funny, I can remember that night so clearly, even though it was 35 years ago, and I was fairly drunk. I can't even remember what I did last week, memory is a strange thing. "Flip Your Wig" tour, so before they, you know, sold out.

Opening act was Nomeansno.

I saw U2 when I was 14, "War" tour. I guess that was the "Under a Blood Red Sky" tour?

I saw R.E.M. when I was 17, "Life's Rich Pageant" tour. I saw Einstürzende Neubauten when I was 17 too.

I was actually a pretty cool little kid! And for the coup de grâce, when I was 17, I saw Ian Whitcomb!
   326. Cowboy Popup Posted: July 12, 2019 at 06:27 PM (#5861508)
Re: Davo, when someone has developed a sense of identity which hinges on hating the stuff that other people like, it's going to be frustrating to talk to them about things. I recommend not repeatedly bashing your head against that particular wall, but YMMV.

Now that we all know how old everyone is, I wonder if this is a generational thing. I have nowhere near the frustration with Davo's schtick. I absolutely enjoy his posts and style.

I don't agree with everything he says (obviously) but much of it is thought provoking, often hilarious and I'm fairly certain some of it is tongue-in-cheek. None of it ever seems to be truly malicious, which is a huge point in his favor.

Also, is it not weird to talk about people in the third person in an open forum? I can't necessarily think of a better way to do it but still. Hi Davo!

And just to show how Davo and I are on opposite ends of the spectrum, I watched Tag this week, for the second time (!) and still laughed very hard throughout. I bet he would/did hate that movie.

Archer has an episode with Matt Berry in it. Anyone who likes Matt Berry should check it out because he kills it.
   327. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: July 12, 2019 at 06:31 PM (#5861509)
I just heard a song called “Computer Love” by Kraftwerk for the first time, but.....I soon realized I’ve heard the *melody* a zillion times, because Coldplay used it in a mega-hit.

I’m sure this is very old news to you music fans, but it doesn’t happen much for me, and it never fails to generate a brief moment of deja vu before I’m able to place it.
   328. Lassus Posted: July 12, 2019 at 06:36 PM (#5861511)
I'm getting more and more furious thinking about the guy who did Dallas Buyers Club thinks he has the range to judge Andrea Arnold's work.

They treated Arnold like crap, but this kind of whining judgement is laughable.
   329. Omineca Greg Posted: July 12, 2019 at 06:41 PM (#5861512)
My favourite song off of Computerwelt is "Pocket Calculator"
   330. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: July 12, 2019 at 06:56 PM (#5861516)
Re 320, it’s always interesting to me that the “CONTRARIAN!” rejoinder only gets dropped when I dislike a blockbuster, and not after I mention my fondness for very traditional filmmakers like Leigh or Bresson. I wonder why! ;)

To me it’s a tell that I’m dealing with a non-serious person, one who cares so little about movies (or who has simply seen so few) that the only response upon learning that there are people who DONT like Hollywood blockbusters is “why that’s impossible, he must be lying, this is just an affectation!”

I know and care extremely little about music. Yet when I read the posts you guys write about how much better (let’s say) Pavement and Wilco are than (let’s say) Maroon 5 and Imagine Dragons, I don’t assume you’re making #### up, or that you’re carving out niche identities based on pretending you dislike Top 40 pop hits—I assume you guys just listen to a ####-ton of music and thus can distinguish between that which is actually new and that which is just cashing in on trends.

You may wish to extend the same good faith my way. Or not!
   331. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: July 12, 2019 at 08:06 PM (#5861526)
A Presidential candidate weighs in:

@AndrewYang
I find live action remakes of Aladdin, Lion King and other movies I grew up with a bit depressing. It’s like we can’t come up with new stories.
   332. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: July 12, 2019 at 08:23 PM (#5861529)
It’s like we can’t come up with new stories.
We can, they just don’t make enough money.
   333. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: July 12, 2019 at 08:24 PM (#5861531)
@DiscussingFilm
The sequel to 2017’s ‘POWER RANGERS‘ has been canceled with Hasbro electing to reboot the franchise with a new cast
   334. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: July 12, 2019 at 08:33 PM (#5861534)
336- Thanks!

I did not see Tag. My favorite podcast (“Blank Check”) has a running joke where they say that movie “doesn’t exist” though. So I feel a special kinship.

Wikipedia notes In July 2017, Jeremy Renner fractured his right elbow and left wrist after falling 20 feet while performing a stunt.[19] He ended up performing the stunt a second time before going to the hospital, and the production team used CGI to remove his casts in post-production.[20]

I’m glad his sacrifice was not in vain!
   335. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: July 12, 2019 at 08:36 PM (#5861536)
He ended up performing the stunt a second time before going to the hospital, and the production team used CGI to remove his casts in post-production.
Wait, where did he get the casts then?
   336. Cowboy Popup Posted: July 12, 2019 at 08:46 PM (#5861540)
I’m glad his sacrifice was not in vain!

Nearly all of the movie's biggest laughs involve the characters suffering (deserved) tremendous physical pain from their stupid antics. The stunts could not have been easy.

Hannibal Burress is solid gold throughout and Jake Johnson has some brilliant moments riffing on dead spouses and miscarriages. Isla Fisher and Leslie Bibb should also get credit for bringing their special brands of insanity to the movie.

It's not "good" but it gets straight to my funny bone.
   337. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: July 12, 2019 at 08:50 PM (#5861541)
Oh yeah, I did see Tag! I remember now- it was on a plane. I enjoyed it in that low-stakes context.
   338. PreservedFish Posted: July 12, 2019 at 08:50 PM (#5861542)
You may wish to extend the same good faith my way. Or not!

Reasons I don't extend my good faith:

1. Your criticism is often inscrutable. When you explain why a movie is good or bad, you don't do it convincingly. I think you like being opaque.
2. You have huge biases, and you'll dismiss films out of hand because of a highly idiosyncratic criteria that nobody else here gets. The people whose judgment I really respect tend to have a super open mind about everything. They don't randomly say "the Beach Boys are fascist so of course they're horrible."
3. You have a political/religious agenda that you gladly let affect your judgment (although inconsistently).
4. Some of the judgments you make are heinous. Like preferring the Star Wars prequels to the originals. No, the fact that you've seen more Bresson and Haneke films than I have doesn't mean I'll just defer to you on that one.
5. You savor being a contrarian. You know you do. You predicted that you'd prefer Indiana Jones 4 - the only despised movie in the series - because Armand White likes it or something like that.
6. You're arrogant. Seriously, "non-serious person"? You don't earn courtesy in this matter by having a long Letterbox'd list, you earn it by being humble and open and engaging.
7. I mean, you just said "non-serious person." That's RDP and SBB style language. "Not a good look," as they would say.

I do enjoy a lot of your content, and appreciate how omnivorous your tastes are, but come on, you love being a lightning rod. You ask for it.
   339. Cowboy Popup Posted: July 12, 2019 at 08:56 PM (#5861545)
To me it’s a tell that I’m dealing with a non-serious person, one who cares so little about movies (or who has simply seen so few) that the only response upon learning that there are people who DONT like Hollywood blockbusters is “why that’s impossible, he must be lying, this is just an affectation!”

I remember when I loved movies and watched a ton of them. I was like that probably through law school. I freaking HATED The Avengers when it came out. I maybe had more deference for old Hollywood than you do (particulalry that mid-60s to mid 70s stretch) but I would have been much more aligned with your tastes back then.

A 7 years later, a corporate job has numbed my soul and two kids leave me exhausted basically everyday and now I watch the Avengers and I really enjoy it.

So much of our reaction to art is what we get out if it and what we want to get out of it. So I totally get it, even if what's it now seems weird and scary.
   340. Lassus Posted: July 12, 2019 at 09:08 PM (#5861547)

- celestial eye-roll that takes place with galaxies as motes of dust in said eyes -

Not a single person here has done this, and you are fighting with imaginary unpleasant thread members in your head.
   341. Lassus Posted: July 12, 2019 at 09:27 PM (#5861551)
I remember when I loved movies and watched a ton of them. I was like that probably through law school. I freaking HATED The Avengers when it came out.

I think this IS generational. I love movies, and loved nothing more than going to endless indie films in the city. I never fancied myself an auteur of any sort, but various foreign and smaller films I made a tremendous effort to see. I despise only being able to see smaller films on my computer where I live now.

It was BECAUSE of this love of film that when the massive portion of my youth appeared on-screen and finally - due to technology catching up and fans finding themselves in positions of power - were GOOD that I ate it up. I saw Avengers three times in three days, and I NEVER see films more than once. I think the only time previous to that was Roger Rabbit. OF COURSE they had a formula that wore on me more and more as time went on. But they still were visually convincing and clever and fun and touching as blockbusters. I mean, I HATED every last Spider-man film that was made prior to Holland taking over, and many, many other superhero films. I admit I see the appreciation of the MCU as the opposite of deadening, but more as recognition of quality fantasy material come to life.

And it's not like people here are going to the mat for NIGHT SCHOOL or fucking MEN IN BLACK INTERNATIONAL or MALEFICENT, please. And John Wick I kinda find dumb. It's generational AND genre.
   342. vortex of dissipation Posted: July 12, 2019 at 10:15 PM (#5861562)
It is one of my great regrets that I never saw Sugar play live (I mean, I was not cool enough to be going to Husker Du shows at 15 and Bob Mould solo in like 1999 or so). I can see the volume being an issue, however.

I saw Husker Du twice, and while they were great shows, yes they were way too loud. I never saw Sugar, but the two times I saw Mould solo, in 1989 and once in the late 1990s, he was louder than Husker Du. Painfully so, even with earplugs. The last show I saw without taking earplugs was The Clash in 1979, and I swore after that I'd never see a show without at least having earplugs with me, and I've worn them at the overwhelming majority of the shows I've seen since, and probably all the electric ones. I saw Richard Thompson do an acoustic show in a small venue a couple of years ago, and didn't need to use the earplugs. It was a breath of fresh air.
   343. Howie Menckel Posted: July 13, 2019 at 12:04 AM (#5861573)
Tim Morris
‏Verified account @tmorris504
16h16 hours ago

Beginning Sept. 1, the Seattle-based coffee giant [Starbucks] will no longer sell The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal or USA Today at its more than 8,600 shops nationwide. The Co. says too many people read w/o paying, a metaphor for the news industry.
   344. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: July 13, 2019 at 12:10 AM (#5861575)
@KentuckerAudley
Young filmmakers, this is how you start a film."

Indeed. I am watching it right now!
   345. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: July 13, 2019 at 12:43 PM (#5861608)
Copious, copious levels of nudity (and SSA) in the short film in 344, so NSFW that link!
   346. Cowboy Popup Posted: July 13, 2019 at 08:18 PM (#5861673)
I mean, I HATED every last Spider-man film that was made prior to Holland taking over, and many, many other superhero films.

See and that's weird to me. I think Spiderman-2 is the greatest superhero movie ever made.

Nothing else has come close to capturing what it would be like to live as a secret superhero, and no Spiderman movie since has come close to representing all the stresses on Parker's life as he tries to balance school, family, MJ and being a freaking superhero. Most don't even try.

And the actor that played Doc Ock gave the character depth that few comic book movie villains have had.

Plus its laugh out loud funny at times.

I really liked the first Holland one but it fell well short of what Spiderman 2 accomplished.
   347. Lassus Posted: July 13, 2019 at 08:45 PM (#5861676)
And the actor that played Doc Ock gave the character depth that few comic book movie villains have had.

He turned good at the end, and it was the arms that were evil. That was lame, and no Doc Ock I ever knew.

Nothing else has come close to capturing what it would be like to live as a secret superhero, and no Spiderman movie since has come close to representing all the stresses on Parker's life as he tries to balance school, family, MJ and being a freaking superhero. Most don't even try.

Part of Spider-Man's charm since day one was writing that showed his intelligence and quipping. Raimi did zero of that in any of the films, an essential quality of the character. He was a Spider-Man I had little interest in watching. He did tortured fine, but constantly tortured is boring, IMO.

Spider-Man II was the best of the Raimi Spider-Men, but the lead was badly mis-cast. I would strongly disagree that the Holland Spider-Men do not equal them, as I feel they surpass them. Perhaps I'm too biased.

I will say this: I am in very strong disagreement with whomever at Disney or Marvel (maybe Feige himself?) has decided that secret identities are stupid. I'm lost as to why that's a thing now, considering how important it's been to comic book history. It's one of the only true mistakes I think that the MCU has made, but I suppose that's subjective. Maybe.

Oh, also killing all the villains. Stupid, stupid, stupid, and also something I can't understand.
   348. Howie Menckel Posted: July 13, 2019 at 09:08 PM (#5861682)
big night scheduled on Broadway as usual - except much of Times Square and Upper West Side is in a blackout (something something transformer).

you picked tonight to see "Hamilton?" too bad, show had to be canceled. local news mentioned one couple who splurged on this show for their 50th anniversary. #SOL

NYC Mayor de Blasio is on the scene - I'm just kidding, he's actually in Iowa trying to move into the top 15 in the AP's Top 25 Democratic Presidential Candidates poll.

video clips so far show Good Samaritans directing traffic on busy streets with no working traffic lights, and so on. no panic apparent.

now it has just gotten dark.

it should help that it was kind of a routine high 80s, manageable humidity day at least.

but lots of high-rises have lots of elderly and disabled, and no working elevators right now. NYC had to manage a lot of similar with Hurricane Sandy, which should help also.

at street level, ideally people - even tourists - already have figured out where to head so they can be in unaffected neighborhoods, as this is not close to being borough-wide.

this is tremendous

Caryn Ross
‏ @SuperSassyMama
1h1 hour ago

Now this is what turning lemons into lemonade is all about! We can hear singing from the streets below...the entire @carnegiehall choir including conductor are putting on an impromptu concert by singing outside during the blackout! #NYCBlackout #BeautifulSoundsDuringBlackout
   349. Howie Menckel Posted: July 13, 2019 at 09:41 PM (#5861691)
1010 WINS
‏Verified account @1010WINS
14m14 minutes ago

#NYCPowerOutage:
-Wild West on the West Side as outage plunges 43,000 into darkness
-30 block radius affected; 40s to 70s
-Manhole fire blamed
-300 intersections dark, residents direct traffic
-Rescues in subways, elevators
-Comes exactly 42 years after '77 #Blackout

[1977 was also the "Summer of Sam," as serial killer Berkowitz went about his business. 2-day blackout in some areas and across nearly all of all 5 boroughs, NYC was utterly broke, lots of looting, heat wave, no cell phones, no internet, not much in way of backup generators, many areas had no AC even with power... kids today don't know how good they have it! #getoffmylawn]
   350. Lassus Posted: July 13, 2019 at 09:48 PM (#5861694)
2001 blackout was bigger, wasn't it? And nary a lawless peep.
   351. Howie Menckel Posted: July 13, 2019 at 09:49 PM (#5861696)
2003 affected much of the Northeast, Midwest and Ontario.

estimates were about 100 deaths, but not ax murders or anything - elderly and ailing people, Darwin Award generator users, etc
   352. Lassus Posted: July 13, 2019 at 10:08 PM (#5861704)
Mistype. 2003. Was in Hell's Kitchen. No AC, slept on the roof.
   353. Howie Menckel Posted: July 13, 2019 at 10:34 PM (#5861716)
most of power in Manhattan has been restored.

we now resume our originally scheduled programming.
   354. Cowboy Popup Posted: July 14, 2019 at 12:28 AM (#5861724)
Part of Spider-Man's charm since day one was writing that showed his intelligence and quipping. Raimi did zero of that in any of the films, an essential quality of the character. He was a Spider-Man I had little interest in watching. He did tortured fine, but constantly tortured is boring, IMO.

Spider-Man II was the best of the Raimi Spider-Men, but the lead was badly mis-cast. I would strongly disagree that the Holland Spider-Men do not equal them, as I feel they surpass them. Perhaps I'm too biased.

I wouldn't say biased. As I said earlier, to some extent everyone is looking for something different out of their art.

You seem to care a lot more about adherence to the source material than I do for example. I read a decent clip of Spider-Man comics and watched the early/mid-90s cartoon show religiously, so I have some other reference points for the character. Raimi made it clear he was going to make this his own immediately. Once the webs shot out of Parker's actual wrists, it was clear his intent was to be fluid with the details. I enjoyed the alternate take on Octopus, even as I hated some of the other choices he made in 1 & 3.

I also think you are misrepresenting classic Spider-Man a bit here, he was not always quippy. The character was perhaps at his best when he was using his charm and wit but there were plenty of mopey or angry Parker/Spider-Man runs, particularly (IIRC, which I probably don't) in the wake of some tragedy or other big event.

I agree that Holland is a better SpiderMan. Totally onboard with that. Just watched into the SpiderVerse (Wow! 7 thumbs up!). So there's like, IDK, 76(?) better SpiderMans(and Womans) than Tobey McGuire.
   355. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: July 14, 2019 at 12:35 AM (#5861726)
Incredibly drunk and watching Room 104, update your spreadsheets
   356. It was something about the man-spider and sodomy, Posted: July 14, 2019 at 01:00 AM (#5861729)
October - Clint Eastwood
Escape From Alcatraz
High Plains Drifter
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Dirty Harry
In the Line of Fire

Two more to consider for the list:

White Hunter, Black Heart
White Hunter Black Heart is a 1990 American adventure drama film directed by and starring Clint Eastwood and based on the 1953 book of the same name by Peter Viertel. Viertel also co-wrote the script with James Bridges and Burt Kennedy. The film is a thinly disguised account of writer Peter Viertel's experiences while working on the classic 1951 film The African Queen, which was shot on location in Africa at a time when location shoots outside of the United States for American films were very rare. The main character, brash director John Wilson, played by Eastwood, is based on real-life director John Huston. Jeff Fahey plays Pete Verrill, a character based on Viertel. George Dzundza's character is based on African Queen producer Sam Spiegel.

A Perfect World
A Perfect World is a 1993 American drama film directed by Clint Eastwood. It stars Kevin Costner as an escaped convict who befriends a young boy (T.J. Lowther) and ends up embarking on a road trip with the child. Eastwood co-stars as a Texas Ranger in pursuit of the convict.
   357. Alex meets the threshold for granular review Posted: July 14, 2019 at 04:23 AM (#5861730)
When "Tag" was first mentioned, I briefly got excited thinking we were going to talk about the Sion Sono film.
   358. Swoboda is freedom Posted: July 14, 2019 at 09:46 AM (#5861738)
October - Clint Eastwood
Escape From Alcatraz
High Plains Drifter
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Dirty Harry
In the Line of Fire

I would dump Alcatraz. There are better prison escape films. I really like Perfect World too. Unforgiven of course. Play Misty for Me., Good Bad Ugly. Where Eagles Dare. Bronco Billy for lighter fun fare.
   359. It was something about the man-spider and sodomy, Posted: July 14, 2019 at 10:10 AM (#5861740)
Well, I believe he's seen Unforgiven & the Leone Trilogy already, so I didn't throw those into the mix.
   360. Swoboda is freedom Posted: July 14, 2019 at 10:31 AM (#5861741)
Wasn't sure what he had not seen and whether it was acting only or directing too. Million Dollar Baby?
   361. It was something about the man-spider and sodomy, Posted: July 14, 2019 at 11:01 AM (#5861746)
Post #173 in this thread.

Clint Eastwood - Man With No Name trilogy, Gran Torino, Million Dollar Baby, Unforgiven, The Mule, Bridges of Madison County

Actor only, I believe.
   362. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: July 14, 2019 at 12:34 PM (#5861756)
357. Alex meets the threshold for granular review Posted: July 14, 2019 at 04:23 AM (#5861730)
When "Tag" was first mentioned, I briefly got excited thinking we were going to talk about the Sion Sono film.

Contrarian!!!
   363. Master of the Horse Posted: July 14, 2019 at 01:00 PM (#5861760)
338 is great internetting.
   364. Commissioner Bud Black Beltre Hillman Fred Posted: July 14, 2019 at 01:02 PM (#5861761)
It's not what you're saying, Davo, it's how you're saying it.
   365. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: July 14, 2019 at 01:25 PM (#5861764)
I think Disney can survive without my cheerleading.
   366. Lassus Posted: July 14, 2019 at 01:36 PM (#5861767)
No one here gives a single fuck about your cheerleading or lack thereof of Disney, and that's not why people disagree with you.
   367. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: July 14, 2019 at 01:44 PM (#5861768)
Lashana Lynch To Take Over James Bond's Iconic 007 Code Name
British actor Lashana Lynch is set to take over the spy's iconic code name, 007, in the forthcoming Bond 25.

Speaking to the Mail On Sunday, a film insider has revealed the 31-year-old will be introduced during a 'pivotal' scene - but fans of the franchise needn't worry, James Bond will still be there.

They said: "There is a pivotal scene at the start of the film where M says, 'Come in 007,' and in walks Lashana who is black, beautiful and a woman.

"It's a popcorn-dropping moment. Bond is still Bond but he's been replaced as 007 by this stunning woman.

"Bond, of course, is sexually attracted to the new female 007 and tries his usual seduction tricks, but is baffled when they don't work on a brilliant, young black woman who basically rolls her eyes at him and has no interest in jumping into his bed. Well, certainly not at the beginning."
   368. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: July 14, 2019 at 01:49 PM (#5861772)
366 of course not, it’s just a weird coincidence that I’m only accused of “trolling” after I criticize Hollywood blockbusters (and not when I praise Bujalski or Leigh), I’m sure
   369. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: July 14, 2019 at 04:23 PM (#5861809)
   370. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: July 14, 2019 at 04:34 PM (#5861810)
@Variety
Box office: #TheFarewell surpasses #AvengersEndgame  for biggest theater average of the year
   371. Greg Pope Posted: July 14, 2019 at 05:27 PM (#5861817)
I will say this: I am in very strong disagreement with whomever at Disney or Marvel (maybe Feige himself?) has decided that secret identities are stupid. I'm lost as to why that's a thing now, considering how important it's been to comic book history. It's one of the only true mistakes I think that the MCU has made, but I suppose that's subjective. Maybe.

Oh, also killing all the villains. Stupid, stupid, stupid, and also something I can't understand

I disagree on both. The reason is that these are movies. They don’t keep the characters the same age for decades. They don’t have to pump out the volume that comics do. I don’t know the current status but at one point I think there were 4 monthly Spider-Man titles? Putting out 48 issues a year for decades means that you have to build up enemies to come back to time and again and they have tons of time to spend on the secret identities.

Tony Stark had a ton of screen time in the MCU over a period of ten years.. Three Iron Man movies, 4 Avengers, and large parts in Civil War and Homecoming. You wanted more of that time with him sneaking around pretending Iron Man is his bodyguard? You wanted more Obadiah Stane? Superhero movies have been killing off villains since at least the Michael Keaton Batman. I have no problem with it. MCU is the first to really ditch secret identities and I applaud them for it. Movies are 2-3 hours long and the MCU has made 22 of them. There’s just no room to keep bringing back villains.
   372. Hot Wheeling American Posted: July 14, 2019 at 06:05 PM (#5861825)
366 of course not, it’s just a weird coincidence that I’m only accused of “trolling” after I criticize Hollywood blockbusters (and not when I praise Bujalski or Leigh), I’m sure

At the risk of continuing to turn this thread into a meta-space about one of its posters...just this page you snidely referred to Jean-Marc Vallee as a hack. Maybe he's ####, and without having read any of the Big Little Lies pieces this week, just the reaction from non-Davo corners of the internet I respect, I can believe it. Non-substantive but comprehensive slams like that remind me of the worst of pop culture criticism on the internet. It can't just be that you found Dallas Buyers Club problematic or The Young Victoria didn't work for you. Nope, he's a hack.

Finally watched The Florida Project the other night. Just got back from a showing of Sword of Trust at IFC. Even though I'm a big fan, I avoided the screenings with a post-show panel featuring Marc Maron and Lynn Shelton (one of them was even moderated by Tom Scharpling!!). Too spoiled by reserved seating and too anxious a man to want to wait on line not knowing if I'll get a decent seat.
   373. Man o' Schwar Posted: July 14, 2019 at 06:35 PM (#5861829)
British actor Lashana Lynch is set to take over the spy's iconic code name, 007, in the forthcoming Bond 25.

Speaking to the Mail On Sunday, a film insider has revealed the 31-year-old will be introduced during a 'pivotal' scene - but fans of the franchise needn't worry, James Bond will still be there.

They said: "There is a pivotal scene at the start of the film where M says, 'Come in 007,' and in walks Lashana who is black, beautiful and a woman.

"It's a popcorn-dropping moment. Bond is still Bond but he's been replaced as 007 by this stunning woman.

"Bond, of course, is sexually attracted to the new female 007 and tries his usual seduction tricks, but is baffled when they don't work on a brilliant, young black woman who basically rolls her eyes at him and has no interest in jumping into his bed. Well, certainly not at the beginning."

I'm confused - she's a woman who is young and black? I don't think they made that clear. I sure look forward to having that beaten into my head by the movie's promotional campaign.

(Really - popcorn dropping moment? If this isn't spoiled to death by every trailer I'll be stunned. James Bond, the ultimate symbol of the patriarchy, a man for whom women exist only as sexual play things, being upstaged by a g-g-g-girl who doesn't want to have sex with him?? And then he tries to seduce her, and she blows him off? Where's my fainting couch? What a totally progressive thing to do that you can also build a marketing campaign around. I can already see the dopey look on his face when she turns him down.)

Seriously, just the way it's written here is so laughably cringeworthy... he's "baffled" by her rejection? And it's because she's young and black and brilliant? Will he learn, through the course of the movie, that his lifetime of empty sex with many beautiful women has been bad, and now that he respects women for the goddesses that they are, she'll finally relent to allow him to sleep with her on her own terms? I sure hope so.
   374. Baldrick Posted: July 14, 2019 at 07:19 PM (#5861840)

Nobody said "trolling." This is not how quotation marks work.
   375. Master of the Horse Posted: July 14, 2019 at 07:41 PM (#5861845)
Saw Midsommar. Total trip. Don't go if you are in a relationship and not feeling great about things.
   376. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: July 14, 2019 at 07:43 PM (#5861846)
   377. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: July 14, 2019 at 07:46 PM (#5861848)
   378. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: July 14, 2019 at 07:57 PM (#5861851)
@AwardsWatch
With an estimated $351k in just 4 theaters, Lulu Wang's THE FAREWELL earns $87k per. That's not only the best per theater average of 2019, it’s the best pta opening ever for a non-English language film in US box office history.

@AwardsWatch
The previous record holder was Ang Lee's Lust, Caution, which opened with $63.9k on one screen in 2007.
   379. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: July 15, 2019 at 03:25 AM (#5861883)
Re-watched Kubo and the Two Strings over the weekend. It remains an excellent experience, but I couldn't help thinking that - even more so than Coraline - it can't really be called a children's movie. 'Family movie' seems far more appropriate.
   380. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: July 15, 2019 at 03:44 AM (#5861885)
379- What is the distinction you’re drawing between the two terms?
   381. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: July 15, 2019 at 06:44 AM (#5861888)
379- What is the distinction you’re drawing between the two terms?

A highly unscientific one! But I suppose I think about movies where the main value - the theme, the plot, the characters, or whatever - doesn't really get delivered appropriately unless shared and even discussed within a family setting (EDIT: 'between generations' would be a better term here). As opposed to movies where any deeper theme is incidental or grafted on to the primary surface pleasures.

So I would put something like Despicable Me in the children's movie bucket. Which is not to say that all of the content is only targeted at children, but that you aren't missing anything terribly important if you view it just at the surface level. Kubo, for me, is hard to sell on surface-level pleasures, action sequences and cool animation aside. It's both tonally and visually dark. Topics of parental loss aren't necessarily disqualified from 'children's movies', but for Kubo that's basically the whole plot. Memory (loss of) and age are important themes, which I think resonate more in a family setting. (It would be interesting to get the reactions of families who are helping managing dementia for a grandparent, for example.)

Pixar's always been hard to pin down, because a lot of their movies are complete but from both directions. For me it's not that for example, Monsters, Inc. or Inside Out are movies with additional depth that only reveal themselves to adults, it's they start to become different movies entirely.
   382. Fernigal McGunnigle Posted: July 15, 2019 at 09:19 AM (#5861896)
Speaking of family movies... My wife is in Florida visiting her father, in large part to deal with the sort of adversities that come up with aging parents. Last night they decided to go to a movie, and were pleased to be able to go to a film about a daughter in Florida trying to help her father through adversities. The movie was Crawl and the film adversities were a hurricane and an attack by a pack of giant mutant alligators. We can take those as metaphors for aging and the medical-industrial complex.

(Her review: "Everything you hope it would be.")
   383. It was something about the man-spider and sodomy, Posted: July 15, 2019 at 09:26 AM (#5861897)
Funny, I was just wondering about that film, since YouTube seems to insist on showing me the trailer every time I want to watch any videos on it.

Was it like a Deep Blue Sea experience?
   384. Fernigal McGunnigle Posted: July 15, 2019 at 10:07 AM (#5861907)
I honestly don't know much more than the above. Ms McGunnigle's full review was something like: very entertaining, completely ridiculous, fairly clever. One of those creature horror movies where the makers realize what they're doing is absurd and just go with it.

(I never saw Deep Blue Sea, but the setup of "underwater Alzheimer's research center run by Samuel Jackson attacked by super intelligent sharks" strikes me as a lot more ludicrous than "Floridians during a hurricane attacked by hungry gators".)
   385. It was something about the man-spider and sodomy, Posted: July 15, 2019 at 10:18 AM (#5861910)
Oh, you/she should remedy that, it's as completely ludicrous and wonderful as you might imagine. Sounds very similar.

It's not Anaconda level, but it's ... something.

And, to be fair to my ask, you did say "GIANT MUTANT" alligators, so I figured some sort of silly was likely involved ...

:)
   386. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: July 15, 2019 at 10:45 AM (#5861915)
381- Thanks! You put in words an experience I had a hard time explicating: watching Smallfoot in the theaters with my 4-year-old and he asked me “Why did Migo lie to his friends about the Smallfoot?” And after stumbling through answers a bit, I realized it was impossible, because that part of the film was dealing with motivations and concepts that children just don’t have. (Dogma, propaganda, existential threats, etc)

This is opposed to, let’s stick with your Despicable Me’s, schematic\Rube Goldberg-like plots where every action is set in place by a previous action, “start at ABC until you get to XYZ,” etc.
   387. Fernigal McGunnigle Posted: July 15, 2019 at 11:05 AM (#5861920)
It's not Anaconda level, but it's ... something.
My brother claims that Anaconda is an entirely realistic movie. His evidence is that if Ice Cube was in the middle of the South American jungle where he really did kill an enormous anaconda that had previously vomited up Jon Voight, he would look at the corpse and say, "#####." (EDIT: Er, he would look at the corpse and say, "Female dog.") Just like he does in the movie!

EDIT: I actually don't know if the gators in Crawl are actually mutants. They are giant, or at least really big, which made me suspect mutant. There are crocodiles that like to hang out in the hot water exhaust by the nuclear plant near Homestead...
   388. Cowboy Popup Posted: July 15, 2019 at 11:12 AM (#5861923)
One of those creature horror movies where the makers realize what they're doing is absurd and just go with it.

It's a Sam Raimi film right? That sure sounds like his MO.
   389. It was something about the man-spider and sodomy, Posted: July 15, 2019 at 11:14 AM (#5861924)
Anaconda has Ice Cube, Deep Blue Sea has LL Cool J!

Both are wonderful.

Deepest Bluest (My Hat Is Like A Shark's Fin)
   390. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: July 15, 2019 at 11:17 AM (#5861925)
I love love love everything about Deep Blue Sea. Delightfully trashy, it wallows in poor taste. (That final death scene is just....so impossible!)
   391. It was something about the man-spider and sodomy, Posted: July 15, 2019 at 11:20 AM (#5861928)
wallows in poor taste.

Yes, but it *swallows* in AWESOME taste!

(anyone who has seen it knows *exactly* the scene I'm talking about)

(speaking of just ... so impossible)

;)
   392. Cowboy Popup Posted: July 15, 2019 at 11:24 AM (#5861930)
(That final death scene is just....so impossible!)

Absolutely ####### amazing. Anyone I've ever met who has seen the movie has loved that scene. Maybe that is the one thing all of humanity can agree upon.
   393. It was something about the man-spider and sodomy, Posted: July 15, 2019 at 11:26 AM (#5861933)
Dammit, now I'm going to have "My hat is like a shark's fin" running through my head the entire day ...
   394. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: July 15, 2019 at 12:27 PM (#5861963)
Like I feel by this point EVERYONE (even people who’ve never seen it) knows about Samuel L Jackson’s death scene. But the last one?!?!?
   395. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: July 15, 2019 at 01:00 PM (#5862004)
Breaking: Austin Butler chosen by Baz Luhrmann to star as ELVIS. Butler beats out Harry Styles, Ansel Elgort, among others.
   396. It was something about the man-spider and sodomy, Posted: July 15, 2019 at 01:06 PM (#5862005)
   397. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: July 15, 2019 at 01:30 PM (#5862012)
   398. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: July 15, 2019 at 01:33 PM (#5862013)
SALES!!!!!

Criterion box sets are 20% off on Amazon today.
   399. BrianBrianson Posted: July 15, 2019 at 01:46 PM (#5862016)
I'm confused - she's a woman who is young and black? I don't think they made that clear. I sure look forward to having that beaten into my head by the movie's promotional campaign.

It's a bad sign when the question is "Hey, is this movie any good?" and the answer is "The lead is a black woman". But, of course, if you don't have anything else, pay a few professional internet trolls in St. Petersburg to spam a sexist/racist backlash, and try to at least recoup your money on the counter-backlash. Wikipedia tells me Ghostbusters (2016) turned a profit (and there's some really other prominent examples I'm forgetting). So ... what can you do?
   400. Manny Coon Posted: July 15, 2019 at 01:54 PM (#5862017)
Re-watched Kubo and the Two Strings over the weekend. It remains an excellent experience, but I couldn't help thinking that - even more so than Coraline - it can't really be called a children's movie. 'Family movie' seems far more appropriate.

My daughter who recently turned 8, really likes both these movies (and also Spirited Away). She is an only child and her mother and I divorced when she was 5, and I think she identifies strongly with kids standing largely on their own in difficult times of loss and change. She also likes the excellent Netflix animated series the Dragon Prince and the Netflix version of Series of Unfortunate events, which while not featuring only children, both involve children having their parents murdered at the start of the series. Which isn't to say she only likes dark shows, she likes plenty of faster paced nonsense as well, with there being a time for each.
Page 4 of 7 pages ‹ First  < 2 3 4 5 6 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Ray (CTL)
for his generous support.